• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

I can't state enough how well I feel this reveal is being handled.
The artwork and toys can't be shown yet (due to licensing restrictions) so they put out a shot map with anticipated actions and possible combo ideas! Now THAT'S how you do it!

Agreed.

I was not present at Expo and I know things are different when you are there in person, but I've watched all the live feed videos from Jared, and I've followed all of the threads.

For overall presentation, ideas, theme, and ability to bring this to market, this is the company and title that I have been most impressed with overall!

Andrew is a class act too. His interview was excellent. I never felt like I was listening to a salesman who was just saying what he thought I wanted to hear. Also never felt like he was being coy as he answered every question when he could, and when he couldn't, he was very polite about it and always had a good reason as to why. He also never came across as arrogant or cocky (like some of the others did) but rather very humbled by the whole experience of being able to show his pinball ideas in Chicago.

Love it.

This was posted earlier in the thread, but worth mentioning again, here is a link to his interview (all 35 mintues!):

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54161494/theater

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

I can't state enough how well I feel this reveal is being handled.
The artwork and toys can't be shown yet (due to licensing restrictions) so they put out a shot map with anticipated actions and possible combo ideas! Now THAT'S how you do it!

This is probably a bit optimistic, but Andrew says April 2015 for Alien in his interview if I heard correctly?

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Yes, yes, yes! I was pumping my fist in the air as I read this! I'm already losing my mind with excitement over the possibilities for this pin (especially with the layout as slick as it is) but the LCD display themed like Mother, or even the motion detector at times, would push it over-the-top.

tumblr_luetxut4kt1qf5g91o1_1280.... 462 KB

This is a must!

#98 4 years ago

Can someone list all the differences between the standard and LE models?

Thanks!

#131 4 years ago

April will come very quickly, so I agree things will move fast on Alien. Can't wait!

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've never preordered, but MAJORLY tempted here....can't think of a better sci fi / horror title...

Quoted from underlord:

I'm also tempted to pull the trigger on this title, but a preorder with nothing but a schematic of the pf?
Nope. If all 600 are gone, life goes on. When I see more details I'll jump on board.

The above posts are like what the left and right side of my brain are telling me! Not sure which side to listen to. lol

I keep going back and forth on this. In the end I probably won't be able to preorder the LE. It does sound great, but I'm not so sure that I see the value in terms of the extra $2700.00 that it costs over the standard edition (which will be unlimited)?

I'm completely open to discussion on this aspect of it in terms of having my mind changed. But everything on the PF will be the same other than lit ramps, correct?

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm pretty sure Andrew has said in the past that the lit ramp LE option for Full Throttle would be available to buy on its own. So I'd have the same question about the Alien ramps, as well as the beacon topper.
I'm buying a standard full throttle for the full intention of buying other heighway games, so no LEs for me.... I hope the toppers and ramp mods will be made available for every game, since modularity is their big selling point.

That makes sense to me. I'd love it if Andrew could chime in and confirm things like the LE lighting and topper would be available for purchase separately.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

It's $1700 more for the LE, not $2700. If that makes a difference in your thinking. If you haven't listened to the interview with Andrew, that might answer some of your questions. (I've listened to it a couple times because I'm a huge aliens fan and really hope they get this right)

Thanks Sammie, you are exactly right. Sorry for the stupid mistake on the math!

And yes, I've listened to the interview all the way through once, and partially the way through again. I'm impressed.

#151 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I dunno Rob. Yellow beacons and color changing ramps....
Imagine the beacons lighting up, smoke mod going and countdown voice.
"2 minutes to reach minimal safe distance."
GODDAMIT! Now I'm starting to talk myself into this title!!

Damn you! Don't say shit like that and tempt me!

I don't preorder! I don't preorder! I don't preorder!

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's it!!! I'm in!!!....an LE for me

That's awesome!

Congrats Mark!

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from vex:

your pinball money is burning a hole in your pocket get tthe bloody le and be done with it!

This is true. I've sold Tron LE, MET Premium, and I500 in the last 5 weeks. I have money and space. Getting itchy trigger fingers!

I need to stop reading this thread. All these other dudes getting their Alien LE order in is making me jealous...and tempted.

#250 4 years ago

Coast2Coast pinball podcast discusses Heighway and Alien. Starts around the 10 minute mark.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-117-echoes-from-expo-part-2-or-wrath-of-atomic-madness_29096

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I hope this works out. As a Full Throttle owner getting a full-blown game like Alien with multiple toys, LCD screen, LED lights, etc. for $3900 is pretty sweet.

Has it been officially announced that the swappable PFs will be $3900.00?

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from ozuba:

For the benefit of the group, here's some further details Andrew sent via PM. All good news except perhaps busting basement height, may have to rig a side mount

Was the PM sent in invisible ink?

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

He answered my order and each email quickly. Very impressed and happy to be a customer. Now make my game!! : )

What's the current ETA for Full Throttle to be delivered?

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Can someone confirm the differences between the standard and LE? I've seen the website and assumed that was correct, but someone posted an image of an LE shot map with a bunch of additional playfield features unique to the LE that were not listed in the website comparison chart. Nobody even commented on the LE shot map so I'm wondering if it is even real.
I'm debating on LE or standard. If the website is correct, then really only the beacons and ramp lights matter (can do without the green powder, especially if I plan to swap in other games that won't look right with the green). Sounds like the beacons and ramp lights will be available as upgrade mods, so if these are the only differences and the playfields are the same, there isn't a lot of urgency for me to get an LE.

Exactly my understanding as well, and another reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the LE.

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Whatever ! Make my FT !! : )

Heighway is making Fish Tales?

3 weeks later
#386 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly, forget that. I'm not putting money down on a product just to find out more about it.
We're a huge customer pool, you can either cater to us or not. But I'm not reading the PPS forum to see what Rick is doing, I'm not giving money to someone for access, be it Heighway or Jpop, you either tell me what's up in the hopes that I'm interested or you don't.

Bingo.

#430 4 years ago

I don't know why people keep referring to Heighway as a "boutique" pinball maker. Just because they haven't delivered a pin yet does not make them "boutique". They plan on selling as many of the pins that they make as possible, and as pointed out above, they have a big factory in which to build the machines.

Boutiques would be much smaller runs (a hundred or so) and built in small shops, not a factory.

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The thing about the LE that has me interested the most is "Fibre Optic Ramp Lighting" which sounds similar to TronLE. If I could get a mod to add that, I think the Standard would be good for me also.

You can buy it directly from Heighway for the Standard model.

#462 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

C'mon man, this ain't English class.

You realize he was criticizing himself, right?

1 week later
#481 4 years ago

Dennis Nordman is not the designer on Alien Pinball?!?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dennis-nordman-leaves-heighway-pinball

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

what tha bleep...

Make no mistake, having Nordman as the designer on Alien was a *huge* selling point for me. Now that he's leaving prior to Alien being made, there is zero chance of me pre-ordering this pin until I am able to play it.

I just don't understand why neither JJP nor Heighway have been able to keep Nordman employed long enough to get a fully designed pin out the door.

Obviously there are two sides to every story like this, but either way, this sucks.

Quoted from jms121:

Who is the designer on Alien Pinball?

As of right now, I am assuming that there isn't one.

Nordman designed the initial PF drawings which, as he says in that thread, can change quite a bit prior to production.

#490 4 years ago

Thanks for weighing in on this so quickly Andrew.

As disappointed as I am that Dennis has left prior to production of Alien, I am still excited about the pin.

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Not excited enough to pre-order

Of course not.

I don't preorder.

Period.

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Then why post there is zero chance with him leaving?
It seems like there was a chance prior, but now your going to wait till you can play it.
Just admit your contradicting yourself and move on.

Ok I was contradicting myself and I'm moving on.

#527 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is the downside to showing in progress stuff. I'm sure it's frustrating to not be able to reveal more, and the news of Nordman leaving is probably not helping, but I personally make it a rule to not do public reveals of unfinished things. People can't help but fill in the blanks with their own imaginations, and it's incredibly difficult to live up to the expectations that people create inside their heads.

Meh. The only intent here is to show the general layout of the game. If people are going to start using their imagination in terms of adding shit to it, that's their own problem imo. I'm happy to see a rough drawing of the PF layout (which looks good to me).

Quoted from Hazoff:

Great layout.

It's that simple.

#585 4 years ago
Quoted from CptAwesomest:

Despite all the doom and gloom on pinside as of late as a whole, I am myself really excited for this game!!

Couldn't agree more!

Heighway Pinball is the up and comer that I am really impressed with, and Alien is the title that has me super excited!

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

In that case, I think it's time to........
change your Avatar.

HA!

You, my friend, are 100% correct. New avatar coming up...

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

In that case, I think it's time to........
change your Avatar.

Done!

1 week later
1 month later
#683 4 years ago

Nobody has mentioned the fact that this has Super Bands on the flippers?

Are these shipping with Super Bands?

#693 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I noticed it myself, but I'm so used to them now I didn't really think it was that remarkable.

Being "used to them" has nothing to do with it. I'm used to them too.

But what other manufacturer is shipping games with Super Bands? I must have missed that. And that's the question.

3 weeks later
#785 4 years ago

That's pretty cool. I think I'm going to love this layout!

1 month later
#933 4 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Just to confirm - our games are fully swappable between cabinets, whether they are SE's or LE's
We will have a full 'Alien Pinball' update for you this coming Friday

Any chance of seeing *some* artwork in this update??

#964 4 years ago

Thanks for the update Andrew. I appreciate very much the candor in terms of admitting that the estimates were off and that you have learned a lot about licensing etc.

Exciting news about the new xenomorph toy.

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

My comparo isn't meant to SkitB as a company. But with latest timeline missed and feel good ( it's coming) text updates with nothing else, it's hard not to.

There is absolutely no reason to compare Heighway to Skit-B in any way, shape, or form.

No.gif
#999 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

If anyone reading this thread hasn't listened to the latest C2C podcast, I highly suggest doing so.
Andrew is a fresh, consummate professional the likes of which the pinball world has not seen in quite some time. Anyone who listens to that episode and still thinks Heighway is at all interested in being a niche manufacturer isn't listening. They're building something much bigger than a couple of games.

Yep.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-153-an-evening-with-andrew-heighway_44154

3 months later
#1133 3 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Agreed. I think both movies are great, but Aliens took it in more of an action flick direction. Not that its bad, just a different feel. Aliens never creeped me out like Alien did. Of course it was all fresh and unexpected the first time - and I was still a kid. Nevertheless, Alien will always be my favorite by quite a bit.

The script/writing for Alien was better than Aliens. But Aliens had more action and even some humor, and the special effects were better by then. Alien suffers a bit in that the SFX don't hold up that well. But clearly Alien is a great all time classic, and Aliens is an incredibly good sequel.

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

All true, although for me some of the SFX "issues" (especially Ash's head) are all part of what makes it great. I do like the humor in Aliens, especially Paxton. And while we're talking Paxton, anyone else love Frailty?? He killed it in that one too.

Heh, nice to hear someone else who knows about the greatness that is Frailty! He was superb in that. Pretty sure he directed it too.

#1197 3 years ago

What's the current ETA for shipping Alien?

Whatever the answer is, add 4-5 months. Not a knock on Heighway specifically, just seems to be the way it is in this industry. Of course Alien is already late. Wasn't it originally slated for release in April (which led to Nordman leaving as he knew that was an impossible target)?

PF and LCD art isn't even approved yet? This is quite a way from being ready is the way it sounds..

#1242 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The more I think about this, the more I feel I should place a deposit. I told myself not to preorder until I've at least seen the playfield/artwork, but reading this thread is making it really hard for me. Between Aurich's comments, Heighway's great communication & the FullT reviews.....I'm really feeling confident about this game & this company.

Typical mind set of people getting caught up in the hype and feeling the "need" to pre-order for fear of missing out.

I used to let myself get caught up in this myself. No longer, even for a theme as great as Alien, and a company that seems to have it together like Heighway. But even Heighway hasn't shipped any pins in quantity yet.

If I miss out on an Alien LE, such is life. A non LE version will be just fine with me. Especially since it appears I can order any extras for the regular version, meaning the only differences will be artwork and the powder coating. It will be cheaper too. So it's easy for me to wait.

#1262 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I hear what you're saying. The hype hasn't taken hold on me, just peaking my interest on a dream theme pin. Valid points for sure, but it's not really a "pre-order" since I'm not required to pay in full. More like an "LE reservation" for a small deposit, which is fully refundable if you change your mind. That's the key point. There really isn't much risk, and I think it's a nice option. As far as the upgrades, I'd probably guess that after you pay for the LE feature upgrades to a standard (along with a 2nd LED for the backbox), you'll probably be pretty close to the same price as the LE, so why not just make a deposit?
But seeing the current playfield schematic would really tempt me to bite on a LE tho

Exactly, and thank you for not taking my post personally (as it certainly wasn't intended that way at all...you are far from the only one who has the same opinion) and responding with good points. I know exactly how you feel.

#1310 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think the BOM and currency conversions and everything else have just led to some adjustments to make sure making the games is a sustainable thing. I dunno, I'm not in the middle of that stuff, Andrew and I have only briefly even talked about it. Considering what they're cramming into the games as far as features and the competitive landscape I feel like the price is reasonable. But obviously everyone has to make their own call on that stuff.

It's hard for anyone to say that the $8k price point is reasonable compared to other pins on the market because we haven't seen enough of Alien to make that call.

Personally, I'd still have a hard time calling any pin at the $8k price point "reasonable." Doesn't mean I won't pay that much for it eventually, but regardless of how good it winds up being, $8k is a lot of coin.

#1315 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was actually talking about the Standards.

Huh?

We were specifically talking about the price increase on the LE. This post precipitated the entire discussion:

Quoted from jazzmaster:

So when did the LE jump in price from $7850 to $8050? Why the price increase? Will we see this upward trend in pricing continue as the game gets closer to production? I was visiting heighway's site to pre-order after Aurich's awesome post above but now I am a bit put off by a price increase with no new significant information about the game revealed. What gives guys?

And then you came in with your response:

Quoted from Aurich:

I think the BOM and currency conversions and everything else have just led to some adjustments to make sure making the games is a sustainable thing. I dunno, I'm not in the middle of that stuff, Andrew and I have only briefly even talked about it. Considering what they're cramming into the games as far as features and the competitive landscape I feel like the price is reasonable. But obviously everyone has to make their own call on that stuff.

If there was no increase in price on the standard, it isn't relevant to the discussion.

#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Talking about the price going up without showing any pictures or info about the changes being done since the last price point seems peculiar and is a stance I do not follow at all.

Really?

You are saying it makes no sense at all to ask why the price went up on a pin? Whether additional features were added?

What if the price went up by $2k? Would it be ok with you to talk about the price going up then? Is there some magical number that makes it acceptable to talk about?

#1334 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The answer to that is no, you don't. Stern has never released a game with full RGB lighting. The closest they've come is Star Trek Prem/LE, which had true RGB lighting for the inserts. The Pro had a weaker style of RGB (could only do 6 colors) on a few inserts. None of the flashers and GI were RGB on either game.
Walking Dead has two different colors of GI bulbs, it's white and red right? So they can run both, or one or the other. Red GI, white GI, or white with red accents. Which inserts are RGB? Honestly not sure, only really played the Pro. But I know it's not every single one like Star Trek. On Alien every single lamp in the game will be able to be one of 16 million colors. Obviously in practice it will be less than that, but you get the point. Smooth transitions, any shade we want, fade on and off, etc.
So that's what allows effects like the one I posted earlier, with my explosion idea. Stern pins, as of right now at least, cannot do that.
Star Trek is a great example though, if you've played it with the most recent code, and you get a medal, it does that cool insert light show in the color of the medal. We can take things like that, and bring them up to the next level since we can integrate the GI, flashers, and LCD screen into the effect.
So when I say that Heighway is offering more value at the Stern Premium price point that's what I mean, they have more advanced tech. I'm not sure what Hobbit has. I think it's white GI and full RGB inserts, more like Star Trek Prem? Anyone know for sure? Or are they full RGB too?

That's all nice stuff, but what we were discussing is your statement that Heighway is really going to put pressure on Stern with their price point and features. Even given the above...I still don't see it. It's not a game changer. It isn't a big enough improvement over what Stern does with their RGB lighting to put "pressure" on them to change what they do currently.

Let's face it, the biggest feature/difference that people want to see on a Stern is an LCD screen. Whether it is on the smaller scale like what Heighway is doing, or on a large scale like JJP, LCD is what people talk about more than anything. The big thing everyone wants to know about the rumored GoT pin is whether it will have an LCD screen.

I don't see people clamoring for "Full RGB" lighting in every single insert and GI. Nice to have? Absolutely! Just not something that will make or break a sale for Heighway vs Stern.

#1336 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Eh, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that then. For me it's a big deal. The more interactive lighting is the main reason I bought my Metallica LE (used with the "real" code) over a Pro. It's definitely the reason I bought my Star Trek Premium over a Pro.

Why are you comparing the difference in Stern's lighting between their LE/Premium and their pro, with the lighting between Heighway and Stern LE/Premium?

That makes zero sense to me. You are comparing a pin that has *zero* ability to change colors (Stern Pro) with ones that do (Stern LE/Premium) and equating that to the difference between what Heighway is doing to Stern LE/Premium lighting? Sorry, don't see it.

I've seen the videos of Full Throttle and the color changing inserts. None of those seem any more impressive than what Stern is doing on their LE/Premium models.

#1366 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Love this scene from Aliens. I wonder if it could be incorporated into the Heighway pin? Hmmm...maybe as a video mode or???
» YouTube video

Amazing how young Bill Paxton was back then.

#1377 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Whenever I think of Bill Paxton, I see him getting punched in the face by Arnold in a red convertible vette. And I smile every time.

So may great Bill Paxton moments! The guy really is very talented. "Ass like a 10 year old boy!"

#1392 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Pin A that has an LCD display over Pin B that doesn't gets my money going forward.
Yeah it's a big F ing deal
How great would TWD or ST be with it?
Sorry, the era of DMD and Atari are OVER!
I played pong in the eighties, I want LCD in my pins now. Obviously some have figured it out.

I will be in a better position to give an opinion on this when I get Full Throttle or Alien, but based on the videos I've seen of FTH, I have to disagree.

I really don't have any reason to believe that TWD would be any better at all, much less significantly better, with a smallish LCD screen like the one in Full Throttle. TWD already has possibly the best dots that I have ever seen in a pinball machine. I would actually be concerned that TWD would not be as good with an LCD screen at this point in the game.

At least the LCD screens that JJP is using a large and therefore very immersive (though I still question the value in that because of the inability to take it in while playing). Heighway's LCD is in the PF so at least it's easier to see...but it's fairly small. The option to have one in the backbox is cool, but again, it's small.

Of course the possibilities with a theme like Alien with the LCD are great, so I very much look forward to seeing what Heighway does here. Time will tell.

#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

» YouTube video
Now, after seeing that again, tell me you're not hungry for more.

What does the upper left flipper do? What shot do you make with it?

#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Have to believe there are cards yet to be laid on the table w this layout.....

Probably, but Nordman designed the layout. Hard to believe that he put that flipper there without a shot for it to hit?

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Can't wait, artwork please.

alien_012.jpg

Why did you edit your post?

The shot map you posted in response to my post was perfect. Why remove it?

#1448 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I screwed it up during an edit, its back.

Then so is my thumbs up!

1 month later
#1782 3 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

People had faith in Skit-B and Jpop and look what happened.

Ridiculous comparison.

#1888 3 years ago

So, I watched both Alien and Aliens last week (crazy enough, not in that order). Man, there is some great material to choose from that can be implemented in a pin.

It was fun watching these again, it had been awhile. Both are great films, although they are actually quite different. I have a preference for the original, as I think the writing is tighter and the acting was better. It was more a sci-fi film compared to the second, which was almost more of an action film than a sci-fi film, with more humor. I can see how some would find the sequel to be more entertaining than the original though.

#1892 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's what makes them so great, they're really different movies, that pair up so well. The first is a suspense film, a horror film, and a more "cold" sci fi take.
The second is much more of an action film, where they don't try and repeat the same feeling, and let numbers feel scary instead of one creeping shape.
But they're both such great character studies. The people in them feel alive, not just fodder waiting to be carved up.
I love them both. The first has a special place in my heart for sure. But I do think that the second one is easier to casually fire up. It's lighter in feeling, more one liners and everything, not quite as oppressive.
But man, the chest burster scene is one of the best bits ever filmed.

You said it way more articulately than I did. Agree, two different types of films, yet Cameron did a great job of still tying it to the original. Aliens is really a great follow up to the original.

I loved the gritty look of the ship. So much detail. The lack of CGI was a huge plus.

#2019 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I also don't like the theme of FTH but having now played it, it's actually more of a neutral theme rather than being offensive.

I don't have a problem with the theme on FTH at all myself. But I'm a bit worried that the callouts from the main character could quickly become annoying/grating.

#2060 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I vote for Blade Runner as the next licenced theme. Tyrell multi ball .
Time to die
-Jeff

Dream theme!

8 months later
#5917 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Ok, then which of these should I believe? How does that fool me once saying go?

(2015)

(2015)

(2016)
I don't care about JJP delays, jpop/skit b scams & pinball is hard etc...
Conversely, I don't care about the efficiency of Stern & Spooky...
This is Heighway Pinball, Andrew Heighway told me things that were untrue which compelled me to give him my $$, and the above statements are his words to us all...

I see my buddy Random is still laying down a path of truth bombs as he posts.

Quoted from Whysnow:

he left to go work on Elvira 3 and a few other projects he is trying to get Stern to make.

This is completely consistent with the information I have heard as well. I have heard that Stern will in fact make Elvira 3 based on Nordman's design.

#6072 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

So what are my odds of getting an Alien pinball machine after they start shipping?

A lot better than getting one before they start shipping.

#6189 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I give two shits if anyone wants to critique anything I've ever done. I'm a professional designer in a public facing job, if I didn't have thick skin about it I'd have quit for another career a long time ago. If you don't like my work, then feel free to say so.

Ok.

I don't like your work.

But it's nothing personal.

I just think the PF art misses the mark a bit for me personally. The funny thing is that I don't even know what it is that I was expecting exactly, I just know that what I've seen isn't it. It seems to be on the dark side, even given the theme. I can't say that I really disagree with the description that I've seen others use referring to "clip art" either.

That said, I do expect that it will look very different once the playfield is populated with the plastics and toys, as well as the lighting effects, which can serve to bring things together a bit. Still looking forward to the (long delayed) final product!

#6253 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Alien should be worthy of buying just for the David Thiel soundtrack alone.
You have an amazing track record of making great pinball music ... Long may it continue!
rd

This is dead on accurate. Thiel does incredible work, I've been a fan for a long time. Check out the music and sound effects on TH. His work definitely played a part in me wanting Hobbit, and I know he will hit it out of the park for Alien as well.

3 weeks later
#6505 2 years ago

Messages_Image(3524491410)_(resized).png

#6568 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

When I do get this pin, I will look back at all the negative bull crap and laugh my ass off. It's gonna be great!

Why did you give this post a thumbs down?

Quoted from nman:

"They mostly come at night..........mostly"

#6610 2 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

Catching up on this pin. When is it scheduled for release?

3 weeks later
#6753 2 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Is early 2017 a realistic estimate for delivery if ordered now?

My personal opinion is no. But I completely agree with this post:

Quoted from MK6PIN:

DO expect a great machine, and I only bring up the impatience part from a realistic standpoint. Not " pitching" anything...just think Andrew was over zealous in his timeline ( mass produced pinball is new for him). Doesn't affect his ( or Heighways) honesty or integrity imho, unless a deliberate deception occurs ( selling vaporware, full prepay in advance, no refunds, etc.). we've all seen many examples.....This machine IS coming, so whatever...preorder for an LE, wait, don't buy one, whatever. End of the day, my opinion doesn't mean shit to anyone except me.
I admire Andrew for taking nothing but the high road, hasn't engaged in any of the drama, has 1 title already out there, and is insuring his product is improving as the maturation process occurs. THIS= integrity.

#6787 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

This isn't being made by JJP jokester.....

Yet with every passing month, they get closer and closer to being in the same territory time wise. Alien is already well over a year late (was supposed to be ready by April 2015).

#6798 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Been following for a while, just jumped in 2 weeks ago... feels new to me. I could care less how long it takes...just get it right the first time.

Then why did you feel the need to make your stupid comparison to JJP?

#6817 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Just to piss u off

Fail.

1 month later
#7258 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Working with David is such a pleasure. Until this game is done and approved I don't like talking about the details, but the work he's done is up to the bar, no question.

It would be a rare day indeed when Thiel doesn't live up to the high bar that he has set based on his own work.

#7329 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I really want to throw caution to the wind and place a pre-order, but I need to at least see pics and preferably video so I have a thin veneer of justification. Really hope it comes soon.

100% how I feel. I know I am very likely going to want this pin, but I've actually learned to have some patience in this hobby and will wait for a lot more info to come out, and probably wait for the first reviews of gameplay, before placing an order.

1 week later
#7453 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd say Stern has lost their goddamn minds, but people are apparently happy to line up and pay those prices.
If Andrew's not an idiot he's going to raise his prices too. Why not? The frog is perfectly happy in the bubbling water.
This is me just talking personally, I have zero insight into Alien prices or plans. And I'm not trying to push anyone into pre-ordering just to lock in a price point. But if the street price on the base Batman 66 game is around $7700 and people are opening their wallets? Andrew would be a fool to leave money on the table he could use to grow his company.
Expect a price increase, that's my prediction. Up up up, that's the trend.

I'm really starting to think that *everyone* has lost their goddamn minds.

I've never been someone who complains non stop about the price increases that have been going on for many years now, but it really is reaching the breaking point for me personally. Just kind of turns me off to the hobby as a whole. Can people still get most of their money back when they want to sell? Probably. But for how much longer? And with the prices being as high as they are to begin with, even a relatively small loss of 15% is going to cost you plenty of money.

#7496 2 years ago
Quoted from davebowman:

Ok, what are the news? When can we expect to see pictures of the *final* game, or at least populated playfield?
Thanks!

Hi Kaneda!

#7540 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

My god you try way too hard... It just exposes you further.

Exactly.

#7607 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Regarding production. Assuming approvals go through as quickly as expected, Andrew's still adamant that they can get a first small run of games out and shipped by the end of October. This does seem optimistic to me. But it is doable. They can definitely be built by then, but that depends on suppliers coming through with parts on time and in shippable standard

Optimistic but doable. But dependent on others.

It seems incredibly unlikely that production Alien pins will ship 30 days from now.

Thanks for the great informative post. I was not aware of all the substantial changes that Heighway had gone through regarding their facility and change of plans regarding making almost everything in house.

#7676 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Ummmmmmm dunno! Unlikely I would think.
Everyone's favorite podcaster and dupe account poster is in Peru at present as per his podcast.
rd

You mean he started podcasting again? Thought he stopped after supposedly getting death threats on RPG?

I don't know what's more surprising: that he started podcasting again or that you actually listened!

#7682 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What is the US team, and how do they work alongside the UK team?

Ditto that. I didn't understand this either. Aurich, is there a separate group of Heighway employees/contractors in the U.S. that do something different with regard to code etc. that can't be done in Europe?

#7686 2 years ago

Thanks for the info guys, didn't realize so much of the Heighway team was in the U.S.

1 week later
#7858 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Alien looks jam packed with shots and features.

It sure does. Looks like there is a lot going on.

Artwork still doesn't work for me personally. Still seems dark and just doesn't jump out as being particularly noteworthy. It just kind of disappears. Also, I get that the black cabinet fits the space theme, but it seems rather boring. Is this cabinet for a regular version or LE?

Then again, it is hard to tell a lot from these flyers, and the whole package might look a lot better in person.

#8009 2 years ago
Quoted from wireframe:

Sorry if this has been answered before, how many LE's are being made?

No, wait.....80!

Wait....crap, wrong thread!

#8166 2 years ago

Sound effects are pretty damn good. Pin looks much better overall in these videos compared to static pictures as they provide a more accurate depiction of lighting under actual play conditions.

The PF layout also looks pretty darn cool. I hope there won't be too much stop and go though.

Too bad they had so many issues on day one. Given the JJP flop they could have made an even better impression if the pin was running smoothly.

Still, just based on theme alone, Alien blows Dialed In out of the water. BM66 is also another great theme for me, but Alien still takes the cake.

If I were to purchase a new pin in the next few months, I would probably go with BM66 Premium because it's a great theme, looks great, and Lyman is on code. Then, later down the road, I would go with Alien, allowing them time to work on code and fix any issues that are likely to arise with a new pin.

#8201 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I do hope you can adjust the brightness on that backboard strip.

They should have put that underneath the top piece of wood so it was shining downward toward the PF instead of straight ahead into your eyeballs.

#8383 2 years ago

Really kind of sucks that Ripley won't be in the pin. But it seems that there are always disappointments one way or the other with licensed themes. I love my TWD to death, but that is definitely a borked license, more so than Alien not having Ripley.

Very impressed with the few sound effects that I've heard so far. Not surprised, Thiel is awesome. I expect that the pin will do a great job in immersing the player in the theme. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more as things progress.

#8402 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't know if it has been posted yet, but I saw Kanada and Andrew have some very heated words by Mike's booth today around 1.

Can we just be done with adding more drama to the thread?

#8408 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly I'd just like to talk about the game.

So do that.

Frankly, your last post bringing up both Kaneda and Mr68 didn't help. Thought we were trying to move on.....

#8413 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've done the ignore it and it will go away thing, it doesn't work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dude, Kaneda is permanently banned from this forum, and Mr68 is permanently banned from Heighway threads. No reason to continue discussing anything about either of them in this thread. Doing so just leads to more discussion about them....just like what is happening while I am typing this!

You might think you "worked things out like human beings" with Kaneda in person, but Beelzeboob thought the exact same thing. Do you remember how that panned out? Don't be fooled.

Man, Kaneda is just pure poison. Even without being a member here anymore, the drama he causes here is astonishing.

#8554 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This game looks like fun. I may be in for one once shipping begins. As I stated before, I don't think it will be ready until 2017. But I also say, let's not rush them. If it takes longer so be it. Get it right.

Yeah, and let's not act like saying that you don't think it will be ready until 2017 is being critical. It's not. If anything it is being optimistic if you think it's going to be ready in early 2017.

I love that post by Ferret on the code. Sounds sweet.

#8722 2 years ago

On the LE, the price is $8150, but does that include the LCD screen in the backbox?

#8724 2 years ago

How much to add it? $500?

#8726 2 years ago

Thanks.

So Alien LE with the LCD in the head is $8700.00 not including shipping.

These prices are....unfortunate.

#8730 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My receipt math shows $8400.00 based on my receipt, shipped to my door....not a big difference, but something.....

Mark, didn't you get a cheaper price for putting money down so long ago?

#8741 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Buy a std for 6450 also the 27" is just a mirror of the smaller in playfield screen, not really 'necessary' if you want a lower price. compare that to 8500 for a bm66 prem or 8000 for a DI std seems like a better value (still very expensive though).

BM66 premium is about $1k less than what you indicate, including shipping.

#8769 2 years ago

Did I miss something? Why would FT need a new cpu to run the Alien kit?

#8776 2 years ago

So the very first time that Full Throttle owners have an option to add a kit (Alien) to their lineup, it won't work without updating the CPU?

Not sure what the cost is of upgrading, but I wouldn't be too happy if I were a FT owner. That upgrade should be offered for free IMO.

#8787 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Settle down ROb.
Are you a FullT owner?

GTFO with this crap. I'm tired of people like you who think that you can only have an opinion if you have bought the product in question. It's complete BS, and you should be ashamed for throwing crap like this around.

I bet if I made a post saying something to the effect of "this is no big deal, it's part of growing pains of a new company and I'm sure that Heighway won't charge too much for the upgrade" you would not have replied to my post asking me if I were a FullT owner, would you?

Hypocrite.

#8788 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I am an owner and I find you must see things in the right perspective. This is a new company doing their best to deliver a top quality future proof product.

Isn't the right perspective to expect the company to deliver on what was promised in terms of compatibility with future kits?

I understand that things change as you develop the platform, but that should not be to the detriment of your customers.....*especially* the early adopters who took a chance on your first product.

#8795 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

your opinion holds very little value if you are not a FullT owner and hence not impacted at all.

Completely clueless.

Despite not owning FT, seeing how the company handles the situation with FT owners has an impact on whether others will consider being future owners.

Get it?

#8796 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you are correct about this.

I didn't say that!

You are really something.

#8798 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yup, completely get it. However, how about chilling out and actually seeing how they deal with it.
I am confident they will make it right and take care of all us actual owners.
Why is it so tough to just relax for a bit and then see what they do? THEN form your opinion and decide if you want to slam or praise them.

You were the one that took it upon yourself to escalate this discussion with your initial response to me by telling me to "settle down Rob" when my post was pretty even handed and pretty non-controversial. Only a fanboy would have taken offense to it.

And I don't have to wait for anything before having an opinion. To repeat myself, it is my opinion that Heighway should offer the CPU upgrade free of charge to all Full Throttle owners. Maybe even you!

#8801 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry, I read your intitial post as negative. Likely the syntax and writing style plus knowing you have not been real positive on many of the newly revealed games recently. My appologies. text does not always come through with intent or meaning.
I am not a fanboy of Heighway, but rather appreciative of what they have currently done, their customer service, and excited for what Alien/s appears to offer.
I am of a similar opinion but will wait to make any jundgement until I hear of the details. Pretty odd that so many people are jumping to conclusions and ideas. Just listening to yet another podcast where people are assuming that it will cost them hundreds of dollars to update the CPU. I think the lesson here for Heighway is no need to even announce this untill they have the details worked out and can lay it all out to the actual owners. There was no positive for them to even post anything about it.

And with this I agree with everything that you've said.

Now we can go back to being friends.

#8908 2 years ago

Hi Kaneda.

#8922 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Can someone explain the "swap" system to me?

#8980 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

dont waste your time, timebandit.
User is Kaneda once again (if not him then an obvious dup account with some issues and an axe to grind). The guy has some serious issues. Best practice is to just ignore him and click the report to mod team button. He is not even remotely part of the hobby. His hobby appears being an internet troll as he spends hours of his days trolling arcade, pinball, and even collectible figurine websites. He has little knowledge of anything pinball, has only owned 2 games ever (which he pays top dollar for since he has no idea how to actually work on them), and most notable aspect of the pinball hobby is him getting booted from Pinside multiple times to the point of starting a podcast so now you can listen to all the glorious improper pronunciation, misunderstood pinball vocabulary, and ignorance first hand if you like.
The sad part of it all is that Chris is actually a decent guy in real life and he just wants a couple friends, but has still not learned how to make friends. Toss on the fact that any interaction can be assumed to become part of his further online hate fueled rage or obsession with podcasting about people rather than pinball, and I have learned to just ignore him rather than even give him a chance to become a friend again. I tried to give him a chance at an event last year, which it then became obvious was just storyboard for his podcast. I have since stopped listening and throw his dup accounts on ignore. Trolls just crave attention. Unfortunately with Chris he seems to have some deep seated issues. Normal trolls tend to disappear after so much effort is needed to maintain multiple fake accounts. Chris seems to just feed off the negative interaction and like to go scorched earth on anyone that even attempts to be a friend. Life is too short to deal with this amount of negative energy. Best to just ignore.

Have to agree with this. Kaneda is definitely not worth the time or effort to engage. He has proven himself time and time again to be the ultimate troll.

As Whysnow says, he himself gave him a second chance meeting him previously at Expo. They even took pictures together and posted them here. They seemed to want to put any prior issues aside. But how did that turn out in the end? As stated, Kaneda just used the personal interaction against him in a personal way on his stupid podcast. Sound familiar? It should, because Whysnow is far from the only one who gave Kaneda a second chance only to have it completely blow up in their face. Beelzeboob is another example.

How many times did Robin/Pinside give Kaneda a second/third/fourth chance, before finally having no choice but to perma-ban him?

There is a reason Kaneda has been banned from so many online forums.

#8981 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePhantom:

[Inflammatory remarks removed by moderator]

Yep. Kaneda for sure.

#9047 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, Alien is a big enough license with an already demonstrated game that someone should step up and help out Heighway, ala Wcbrandes, if that was determined to be needed and assuming the license is legit.

I don't think this kind of comment is helpful at all in terms of trying to stomp out any rumors. I know it wasn't your intent, but talking about the potential for someone being willing to step in to help Heighway (if needed) only furthers the rumors.

#9111 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Shows what you know, GoT seems to be liked and regarded as a pretty darn good game.
If I didn't know better, and maybe I don't, you seem to be a Kaneda lackey. Gotta chime in every time with your nuanced and obviously, in your mind, correct "opinion". We get it, you don't like Aliens, you don't like FT, you don't like the art and you dont like Heighway.
Move on already, sheesh.

GOT blows.

#9114 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL...that's subjective, but I was specifically talking about the art - which I think almost everyone will admit BLOWS.

Gameplay and rules blow even more than the artwork.

#9119 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Shame you didn't like it Rob. I know you had a premium, but my GOT pro is a pretty sweet game. Deep ruleset, multiple strategies, fast as hell.
Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks.
rd

Exactly RD. I am sure that I would like the pro better since it doesn't have the lame mini PF. I know that Eskaybee loves his GOT pro.

#9121 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If Andrew lives up to the promise of pins shipping this year, then what a great exciting start it will be.

Is this the latest promise?

Because I'm having a hard time believing that Alien pins will be shipping to owners in less than 60 days from today.

#9124 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Let's start to freak out again

freakout.gif

#9136 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Oh no. You posted a positive X-men comment. Rarehero's brain just exploded, he may take a break from GB bashing to take up X-men bashing again

Does this mean that Rarehero has more of a reputation for bashing X-men than I do?

#9138 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Things are LOOKING good on Alien right now. I am hoping the gameplay (I'm looking at you, BALANCED SCORING) comes through. Right now, looks like the team is aware of that, so let's go!

What exactly is balanced scoring?

To me balanced scoring has the inference that there should not be a shot that can be worth a ton of points. For example, IM has the Do or Die shot that can be worth 50 million points (on older code). Is that balanced? It takes a fair amount of skill to set up that shot. To me, the DoD shot is one of the best things about the pin. I think it was determined that 50 million was a bit too high, so they reduced the DoD shot to 35 million in a later update (I still prefer the 50 million and have kept the old code because of it).

What about the huge song jackpots that you can build up on AC/DC? Is that balanced scoring?

What about stacking the 3 multiballs on BSD, making each jackpot worth 30 million points? Is that balanced scoring?

If not, then I don't want balanced scoring. One of my criticisms of Hobbit is that the scoring is a bit lacking in what I call "dynamic scoring" where once you get to a certain mode or achieve a certain goal, you get the opportunity to score some pretty huge points. These should not be easy to get to obviously, but without this type of reward to go for, and pin can lack in the adrenaline rush that I look for in a pin.

I hope that Alien will give us that dynamic scoring potential.

#9143 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

That's a good request for clarification. I wrote the word "balanced" on the fly and was actually not completely happy with it. In greater detail, I really meant balanced in that you get what you work for, or that you get paid commensurately for risks you take. If you feel you are doing good work, then expect to be paid for it. I sometimes feel a game pays off for no real reason and the thing starts to feel like a slot machine. Big points that I get by accident are not really that satisfying. Yes, you can get something by accident, and then use that accident to investigate further and try and replicate the payoff..that's sort of standard pinball learning, but on a good machine you will rarely blow it up by accident.

Excellent post!

This is a great definition for balanced scoring. Thanks!

#9148 2 years ago

I know the spotlight is on us.
At this point - we must deliver. Everyone on our team knows that.
We are pushing very hard at this point.
We have missed some deadlines in the past, and hit some deadlines in the past.
Shipping as many Alien games this year, as possible, is our number one objective.
We aim to give you regular updates over the coming days and weeks. This will include parts arriving, cabinets being assembled, playfields being assembled, etc...
Our prototypes arrived back this afternoon - finally. We will shoot some gameplay videos as soon as possible and then post them accordingly.

#9171 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Your two examples, IM and BSD...
Those are two of the best examples of "Risk vs. Reward" in modern pinball, IMO. 50 mil for DOD is too much given what you get compared to everything else, in MY opinion, but I can easily see how someone could disagree, and frankly, as much work as DOD takes to get, and how many dangerous shots you have to make to get to that point... it's really more of a minor disagreement for me than an OMG YOU SHOULD UPDATE TO LATER CODE IMMEDIATELY, IT'S SO UNFAIR!
THIR-TEE-MEEELION falls in the same category. It's so ridiculously hard for most people to set up, frankly almost everyone would be better off just taking the 2x stack at 20 million and going with it. I've won tournaments on 10 million point jackpots on BSD because everyone typically has a hard time with it and if you're not scoring while trying to do something, you're definitely not going to win, but if I ever had one in home use, you can BELIEVE that I'll be trying for that 3x stack.
I'd love for Alien to do something similar. They did a good job of it on Full Throttle from what I saw of Bowen's video.

Well said!

#9214 2 years ago

What's the point of having the new "verification" system if posts like this from a brand new account can continue?

1 week later
#9343 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I am also hopeful that Heighway can release games #3 and #4 with themes that have the kind of worldwide appeal that Aliens does (DIE HARD NEEDS A PIN!!)

I started a thread about most desired themes, and there really isn't much left in terms of having a super wide appeal other than possibly Harry Potter.

I don't think that Die Hard even comes close to having the same appeal that Alien/s does.

1 week later
#9400 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Whenever I get my game I'll probably do a west coast party. When that will happen, or when games are shipping I couldn't tell you, not something I have the insight into.

You mean we can't actually take Andrew's word for it?

Seems pretty specific:

Everyone in the company, and involved with the company, is working flat out to release the first 20 Alien Pinball Standard Edition games in early December. 10 more games are due to follow before our 2 week Christmas/New Year shutdown (16th December - 2nd January).
These 10 games may or may not be LEs - depending on progress in the coming weeks.
100 LE games are scheduled for January, and every month thereafter, as a minimum. This means that we will be able to deliver games much faster to our customers in the future.

#9427 2 years ago

He's one bad ass dude!

#9443 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Updated production timeline?

The production update is that there is no update.

#9484 2 years ago

We are running behind schedule - but not by much. The 20 Standard Edition games should now be ready to ship within 2 weeks of us returning on 2nd January. Huge quantities of parts were ordered weeks ago for full production and the plan is still very much to be making large numbers of LEs in January. We still intend shipping LEs to customers in January.
There's nothing we would have liked more than to show you pictures of games shipping before Christmas. Are we - or more importantly "I" - guilty of unrealsitic timeframes? Yes. For this I apologise. But we all care deeply about this game and are determined to give you what you want. We are very close to shipping games now but we ARE running a few weeks behind schedule.

Thanks for the update Andrew. But at this point, I really do think that you would be better served by saying that you are "running a few months behind schedule" rather than "a few weeks behind schedule" given the various issues that you list in your post. All PCB's were rejected? Do you have replacements yet? If not, when? What were the issues with the playfields that were rejected? Has the issue been resolved?

What were the "other few parts" that were delayed? Have they been received yet?

Just seems unlikely that these issues will result in only being "a few weeks behind schedule." Give yourself some breathing room.

2 weeks later
#9766 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think a good mod may be to take out the third LCD and send that video signal to the playfield screen. Then find some cool toy to put in the third screen's place.

Agreed.

I think having 3 LCD screens is overkill.

1 week later
#9959 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Progress is obviously slower than what anyone wants, but there *is* progress... a development machine has finally landed in the programmer's house! For me this counts as the start of the final stretch...

So, another 5-6 months to go?

1 week later
#10019 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just figure on March...and if it's earlier, you'll be surprised....

Personally I'd be surprised if it's before June or July, but people call me a pessimist.

#10081 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Well Andrew, despite the fact that I've been waiting for my refund since October

#10086 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I'm a patient guy Rob, and this isn't the same situation as Predator. Not at this time.
Andrew had responded a few times but it's getting nowhere so far. I'll post an update if/when I get the refund.

Interesting how you made a comparison to Predator.

I never said a word about that.

#10096 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

So, did any of these bad boys ship yet?

Nope.

And neither have some long ago requested refunds, apparently.

#10098 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

? sounds like they took care of it?

#10123 2 years ago
Quoted from Fintan_Stack:

3 Full Throttles and 2 Aliens. Sadly both Aliens out of action all day. I did not go but know a few people that did. Andrew said board problems apparently.

Quoted from unigroove:

Correct. In the morning techs were trying to get the Alien games going in the HP booth. In the afternoon the games were taken from the showfloor. Not sure that's such a smart move as now there were only flyers, banners, promotional plastics and a sticker available.

And these are supposed to be shipping *now*?

Well, this should put a stop to the people asking for refunds.

#10126 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

These are supposed to be games that are "going home with somebody".

#10204 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

People seriously complaining about the look of the beacons? J.C., people will bitch about anything.

I have not yet said a word about the beacons. Well, at least not publicly.

Based on your post, I feel the need to give my opinion, when I didn't before: those beacons look terrible. The proportions are way off, they completely overwhelm the backbox.

So there you have it. Me "bitching about anything!"

#10265 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's some golden advice right there. The way some are carrying on, the size of the beacons is going to cause the implosion of the planet....

Implosion of the planet?!

I'm thinking probably not. But those beacons do look like poop!

#10286 2 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Has there been any further information on the "board problems"?

Uh, excuse me sir, we are currently discussing the beacons. Please do not steer this thread any further off topic!

#10394 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm sure it is...but sadly it includes a cell phone in it which for some reason is the dumbest thing known to mankind even though everyone here stares at them all day and 3/4 of people probably complaining are using a cell phone.

Have you not been paying attention?

It is NOT a cell phone theme!

Yes, the cell phone plays a central role in the game. It rings loudly and annoys the crap out of the player. You need to "answer" it regularly. The artwork on the pin and in the flyer prominently show a cell phone in the main characters hand. The pin is called "Dialed In." BUT IT'S NOT A CELL PHONE THEME DAMMIT!

#10432 2 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Making pinballs is hard…but getting refunds is harder?!?
I've been on the pre-order list for over two years, but I’m moving soon so asked for a refund as it was clear after Expo it wouldn’t be shipping in time. Since November, I have had 17 email exchanges and a couple PM’s with Heighway asking for my refund to be processed but it has not materialized. Our exchanges are always polite, they respond quickly, and Morgan always apologizes to say they are working on it. However, there is always a delay such as personnel turnover, being focused on producing the games, holiday leave, EAG show preparations, or Andrew just hasn’t gotten to it.
Given the lack of action, I have been forced to file a chargeback with my credit card company.

This is happening FAR too often. It really is.

And I mean even if you were to limit it to *only* those people who publicly post about it in this thread...it's happening too often. The real problem is that it is happening much more behind the scenes from people who do not want to post publicly in this thread for fear of causing problems of one kind or another. I have personal knowledge about this because of communications that I have had with people who have had this issue and asked for my opinion on how to go about getting a refund, and find out that these people know of others who had or are having the same issue.

It seems that it always requires that someone publicly post in this thread in order to light a fire and get it done. And every time that happens, Andrew apologizes profusely, adds in a few excuses, and eventually issues a refund.

It should not have to be like this. Someone at Heighway needs to get their shit together....both in terms of issuing timely refunds when requested, and getting the pins shipped to customers.

Heighway's most recent shipping date has been missed...again.

#10435 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Andrew really should take care of anyone wanting a refund on their $1500 deposit, after all life happens. We've only seen 2 or 3 people here asking for that refund and we know eventually it gets done

I went back and looked, and maybe there haven't been quite as many people complaining and publicly posting about the lack of a timely refund as I thought (one of the people who I talked to about his refund that I thought publicly posted did not) but it's more than "2 or 3."

Quoted from bane:

Requested refund (original deposit almost 1 year ago) over 1 month ago. Couldn't stomach delays and top secret video status any longer. Supposed to have been processed already; email confirmation that cancellation received, yet refund not processed. Emailed Heighway Pinball about this. No response yet.

Quoted from thewool:

Hi Andrew,
Please can you pm or email me regarding my refund?
Sent you a few mails on this, also tried to call the factory but the number is u/s.
Cheers, Kris

Quoted from kidchrisso:

Your not the only one having issues on getting a refund....it's ridiculous.

Quoted from underlord:

Well Andrew, despite the fact that I've been waiting for my refund since October, I still think the pin looks great and have recommended a friend talk to you about a potential purchase. He's got more expendable income than me right now.
Now...about that refund...

Quoted from Woidhauser:

I am also waiting for my refund since October last year.
First I love this project. Due to private reasons I had to cancel my order in September last year as Aimee from Heighway wrote me that there are only view weeks left to make the next payment. I was told sorry about the cancellation but I will get the refund till end October. But nothing, after several emails with no answer I got one from Jay, Heighway, that according refunds I should contact Andrew, but I never got an reply......

Quoted from Strohz:

I've been on the pre-order list for over two years, but I’m moving soon so asked for a refund as it was clear after Expo it wouldn’t be shipping in time. Since November, I have had 17 email exchanges and a couple PM’s with Heighway asking for my refund to be processed but it has not materialized. Our exchanges are always polite, they respond quickly, and Morgan always apologizes to say they are working on it. However, there is always a delay such as personnel turnover, being focused on producing the games, holiday leave, EAG show preparations, or Andrew just hasn’t gotten to it.
Given the lack of action, I have been forced to file a chargeback with my credit card company. In fact I submitted 25 pages of supporting documents and emails about missed production deadlines and licensing delays over the past two years. If you haven't re-read this thread in quite a while, it really is eye-opening to go back to the beginning.
It’s a shame something I was so excited about has been soured by this refund experience, but I felt compelled to share it as it appears others have experienced similar frustrations.

#10476 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

they're a growing company that's a bit disorganized in that dept. Not great, but stuff happens and when stuff happens, pinside is there to blow it up!!
Doesn't seem like this is an epidemic.
Does that help you?

I don't understand your posts indicating that there is an attitude of "the sky is falling" given the facts of what is happening with the slow and unprofessional response to people requesting refunds. People seem to be pretty even keeled about it to me. Surprisingly so, to be honest.

Your meme of the sky is falling is no more valid to those voicing concerns than this one would be in response to your posts defending Heighway:

head-in-sand (resized).jpg

#10481 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

how many people? I said it's not great, but not an epidemic and from what's been posted here it seems it's not out of malice but disorganization. People are harping on it because there's nothing else to talk about...if it's truly only 2 or 3 people that have had slow response refunds, like I said that's a bummer but the sky isn't falling.
There is a vacuum right now and it's being filled by hand wringing.

Based on your response, it appears that you missed my point.

You keep saying things like it isn't an "epidemic." You go as far as posting a meme of "the sky is falling." My point is that nobody said there is an "epidemic" or that the sky is falling. But there is reason for concern, which even you seem to understand.

And I'm not sure why you are repeating this idea that it is "only 2 or 3 people that have had slow response refunds" when I previously posted that it was more than that:

Quoted from bane:

Requested refund (original deposit almost 1 year ago) over 1 month ago. Couldn't stomach delays and top secret video status any longer. Supposed to have been processed already; email confirmation that cancellation received, yet refund not processed. Emailed Heighway Pinball about this. No response yet.

Quoted from thewool:

Hi Andrew,
Please can you pm or email me regarding my refund?
Sent you a few mails on this, also tried to call the factory but the number is u/s.
Cheers, Kris

Quoted from kidchrisso:

Your not the only one having issues on getting a refund....it's ridiculous.

Quoted from underlord:

Well Andrew, despite the fact that I've been waiting for my refund since October, I still think the pin looks great and have recommended a friend talk to you about a potential purchase. He's got more expendable income than me right now.
Now...about that refund...

Quoted from Woidhauser:

I am also waiting for my refund since October last year.
First I love this project. Due to private reasons I had to cancel my order in September last year as Aimee from Heighway wrote me that there are only view weeks left to make the next payment. I was told sorry about the cancellation but I will get the refund till end October. But nothing, after several emails with no answer I got one from Jay, Heighway, that according refunds I should contact Andrew, but I never got an reply......

Quoted from Strohz:

Given the lack of action, I have been forced to file a chargeback with my credit card company. In fact I submitted 25 pages of supporting documents and emails about missed production deadlines and licensing delays over the past two years. If you haven't re-read this thread in quite a while, it really is eye-opening to go back to the beginning.
It’s a shame something I was so excited about has been soured by this refund experience, but I felt compelled to share it as it appears others have experienced similar frustrations.

#10484 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

And there it is! Rob's (head in the sand) pic! Now this thread is getting red hot!
Got him banned on Pinside in the past... true story!

Actually it was the picture of the whiny crying kid that got me banned previously.

#10488 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It was in response to an extended back and forth and meant as lighthearted hyperbole...that apparently flew over your head.

Fair enough, and I admit that it probably did fly over my head and shouldn't have based on your prior posts. It's all good.

#10494 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Just so that people are aware: work from my end has been slow on Alien for the last couple of weeks since my brother died; I had to shoot off at very short notice back to Northern Ireland for a funeral service and to address some family matters. I fly back tomorrow, normal service should be resumed later in the week.
Not something I'd normally raise here, but significant given the current gearing up of the game and the spanner this put in the works.

Very sorry to hear about your brother. Puts all this other stuff into perspective (meaningless). Thoughts and prayers your way.

#10508 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

The "classic" troll banter..talk Alien pinball..c'mon man

Sounds good.

Maybe Andrew can respond to this prior post regarding the board issues?

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Andrew, I've read comments in this thread about board problems that affected the two Alien Pinball games at the recent EAG International 2017 show (see below).

Quoted from Fintan_Stack:

3 Full Throttles and 2 Aliens. Sadly both Aliens out of action all day. I did not go but know a few people that did. Andrew said board problems apparently.
Hopefully they will be working tomorrow as it would be nice to get some new videos of it in action.

Quoted from unigroove:

Correct. In the morning techs were trying to get the Alien games going in the HP booth. In the afternoon the games were taken from the showfloor. Not sure that's such a smart move as now there were only flyers, banners, promotional plastics and a sticker available. I was wondering why not just do as Stern did with Batman: have the games present, show them so people can see the product and just explain the code isn't done yet (which probaly is true anyway). I also spotted an ad with different artwork for the game in 2 publications that are available for free at the show. Both the ad and the flyers say the game is shipping now... I still have to write my show report and will see if I can add photos. I was able to take pics of both Alien games at the show before they were removed. Hope for HP they will be back in their booth tomorrow.

Since then, I have also heard comments offline that appear to corroborate that there are problems with the boards.
Would you please elaborate on the current status of the boards, and if there are any problems with the boards, please clarify what is being done to address them?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

#10510 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

does it need response Rob? It was clearly documented that the games were on the floor the following day and ran for the duration. MANY people reported this, stated that there we some positive changes since expo and the only odd thing was the scaling on the monitor (which was documented to be a code thing that is also since fixed).
You seem to be looking for smoke and brought your fan Rob.

Typical fanboy response from you, and very reminiscent of the Predator fiasco and your actions in that thread. You didn't like people asking the tough questions then, and you don't like people asking questions now. All because you have money down on the game.

Your credibility was completely shot back then. But it's in your nature, so I'm not surprised that you learned nothing from that experience, despite your supposed apologies for how you acted.

And yes, I'd like Andrew to come in here and just say 'no there are no board issues'. Easy peasy.

The game was not running properly. Was the main mech working? The Xenomorph head?

#10514 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

really rob? Typical BS response of hatred and attacks from you. I am capable of change.

Sorry Hilton, there is simply zero evidence of you changing in any way, shape or form.

You came in and criticized me for asking a SIMPLE QUESTION. A *relevant* and directly on point question no less. No wonder you were appalled at it! Same kind of crap you pulled in the Predator thread. Slam anyone who questioned anything about that pin, especially anything regarding the license.

You want me to apologize for asking a question about the boards? A question that was raised a few times previously that had not been answered?

Quoted from Whysnow:

Do you have any real questions that dont fly in the facts? Your shit gets pretty old Rob and I only chimed in because I get tired of you saying the same stupid shit when people have previously debunked you on the same questions.

Please quote a post of mine where I asked about the board issues in this thread before you criticized me for asking about it. Hint: I didn't.

Please quote a post where Andrew answered the specific question raised by Razorbak86 regarding the board issues. If he answered it and I missed it, I will apologize.

#10530 2 years ago

I did miss it - I apologise.
The board issue simply came down to Chinese New Year. Some Chinese companies require more than 3 months notice in the run up to holiday for orders. We missed the boat to have assembled PCBs (called PCBAs) in time for the EAG show, so bare PCBs arrived instead. We had to manually solder the first boards - and that led to unexpected problems on the eve of the show - which only got fixed on day 2.
Since then, new boards have been soldered professionally, and locally. Quantities of PCBA boards will arrive from China within 2 weeks once the factory we use reopens on Monday.

Thanks Andrew! I assume this means no Aliens will be shipped this week as you indicated previously?

See Hilton, like I said, "easy peasy."

#10539 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It must be fun being a manufacturer and essentially having guys peering over your shoulder pointing at things and asking questions constantly.

It would be stupid to not expect this. Seems perfectly reasonable to ask questions along the way, and from what I can tell, Andrew has no problem answering these questions when he can (certain licensing issues obviously prevented him from being able to answer certain questions previously).

#10559 2 years ago

I must learn to deal with deadlines better - I know.
We plan a video update from the floor tomorrow Rob

Cool.

When will we be able to see the full LE art package?

#10566 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What.. you don't remember when they said this was no biggie and shouldn't take any time at all after Expo? Aurich defended that to the death that it shouldn't impact anything in the fact it wasn't even done, yet games were supposed to be shipping within weeks.

Is that why Aurich doesn't post in this thread anymore?

Quoted from flynnibus:

At this point asking for new estimates is just coming off as antagonistic trolling.. poking to try to expose things you know will be negative or force Andrew to the table when he's not ready/willing.

That's right, we should just stop asking questions altogether. In fact, the whole thread should just be closed so people can't ask questions.

Heighway seems more than "willing" to give new estimates...despite the fact that he keeps missing the dates again and again. "Only two more weeks."

#10567 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why does Robt hate Heighway?

lol

People used to accuse me of the same thing with regard to JJP. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Hobbit?

Maybe if I went back to my Alien avatar people would stopping thinking stupid things like me hating Heighway?

Oh Pinside.

#10577 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No - it's that your questions really aren't genuine but intending to try to flush him out... for something that is already known. You are just trying to rub his face in it. it's destructive and adds no real value, only negativity and conflict.
You may think you are doing people a service by outing him... but people already know games weren't going to ship in 24hrs... or that they haven't done the full LE art reveal. We don't need to rub his face in his failures daily purely to say "gotcha!"

I really wish that you were a man of your word and put me on ignore like you said you were going to a month ago.

#10626 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not at this stage. I'd love to finish my Metallica mod at some point, see what happens with that, until Alien is done I don't feel like I can devote time to personal pinball projects.
We'll see. I like how I explained why I'm not around and it got 3 downvotes. Typical pathetic Pinside attitude, but thanks for making my point for me.
Whatever, it's not about me, it's about the game, and as you can see from that video it's far from vaporware.

You violated the Pinside rule against politics and you feign surprise at getting a few thumbs down?

#10690 2 years ago