DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1311 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm always hesitant to speak on things...

Huge post count for someone hesitant to speak.

1 week later
#1589 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

» YouTube video

I couldn't last more than a minute on that video. Just not funny.

2 months later
#2526 8 years ago

Looks like Aurich will have to create an alternate translate for his own translate.

2 months later
#3702 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Otherwise the dashboard data is always present.

I hate not having access to that kind of info all the time, it's just too essential for players to have. Some modern DMD games don't do a great job of that, any especially in multiplayer games it can be frustrating.

I agree with having the scores and other info frequently present. I normally play two player games against myself and hate when I can't figure out if I'm winning or losing when playing a ball.

4 weeks later
#4660 8 years ago

I thought Prometheus was fun and a good sci-fit movie. But I had no expectations and am not an Alien nut, so I don't remember much about the Alien movies at all.

4 weeks later
#5039 8 years ago

Wondering how many people are canceling Alien to buy Ghostbusters? Both are great themes, but GB is here and has blown away all expectations and is flat out gorgeous to look at.

#5062 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

its a 1500 deposit until it ready and you have to pay the balance. I don't understand how it makes a difference. you buy a gb and still in on an aliens with the low deposit of 1500.00. smh I don't get it.

$1500 Tied up on thin air, that's my thought. Why tie up any money based on pre-order history? Just buy it when it's available or at the very least place $1500 down once an actual complete game is shown?

1 week later
#5152 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

This was shown at TPF tonight during the Alien presentation by Heighway Pinball!
It grabs & locks the ball!!

5c76ed1941739407e63253d483f60744ecdc3400.jpeg_(resized).jpg

Pretty fucking sweet and can't wait to see it in action. Does another alien mouth thing pop out of that mouth and grab the ball?

3 weeks later
#5332 8 years ago

I can't get into those Zen games at all. To me, the only thing worthwhile about "virtual" pinball is checking out a REAL pinball machine that I've never played before. Tapping a screen or pressing a controller button to flip a ball is not fun or rewarding and the tiny bit of flipper lag sucks.

That said, the Alien playfield should look like a Zen design.

#5342 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Wait, is this the Heighway Aliens thread or the virtual pinball thread?

Aliens IS a virtual pinball machine. Virtually nothing has been shown.

2 weeks later
#5554 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

He was good in Millennium series about 20 years back

I thought I recognized him from Millennium too. Really cool show for the first season and then I remember it getting bad in season 2.

1 week later
#5785 7 years ago

Special edition podcast is online now with Alien and this thread as the topic. Just listened to it and was worth the 19 min run time.

#5788 7 years ago

The pod caster is banned by Pinside and the mods don't want any links posted to his podcast. But the episode is titled, "Alien done in August?"

#5802 7 years ago

After all this waiting to see something, I used my money for a first NIB pin for a Game of Thrones that I should be playing next week.

#5807 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Thats awesome.....why are you posting in this thread then?

Why can't I?

#5813 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I hope you've played it enough. I think GOT is awful. Just me but hey, good luck with it.

My wife loves it and I had fun playing it, she wanted it badly and convinced me to buy our first NIB pin. So that's all kinds of awesome. And of course it's just pinball and not every game is for everyone, so I don't mind your opinion.

Was also trying to hold out to see what Alien looked like and see if it was a game for us, but would rather play than wait. In the meantime, I'll keep tabs on its progress and look forward to seeing them in the hands of Pinsiders to see videos and hear reviews. Maybe it will be in our house in the near-distant future, or at least be an option in the near future.

#5915 7 years ago

Elvira 3? Boring and irrelevant today.

#5920 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...your collection...not relevant in any way, but you still like them right?
Rescue 911,Sharkey's Shootout,Terminator 2: Judgment Day,Viper Night Drivin',Maverick,Shadow, No Fear: Dangerous Sports, Tales from the Crypt, Baywatch

Those pins were made in their own relevant era, not in 2016/2017. I need to update my pin list too.

Elvira is not relevant and to me doesn't seem like an exciting theme. I'd say the same thing if a Maverick, TFTC, etc was being touted as the next new pin.

#5923 7 years ago

Very select audience. I think you'd be hard pressed finding many people under the ages of 35-40 know who Elvira is.

#5925 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you buying NIB games? Because that's the only factor in "relevant" themes. And to be honest, the only ideas that are "relevant" now are completely irrelevant themes.

Game of Thrones was ordered and am waiting for it to ship.

#5929 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

We'll have to see, but she has a history in pinball, and that's what they're selling.

Right, a history in pinball. Try asking the average person under 40 who Elvira is....then follow up and ask if they care.

Hope it gets made if that's what people want though. I never saw the appeal, except when I was 12 and liked seeing big tits on TV.

#5937 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'm still to know an average under 40 person who buys pinball machines!

Maybe not buys, but what about plays? I'm thinking about this on location and people wondering who the old witch with big tits is.

Sure, the pinball fellas will buy it because for some reason Elvira is a big deal to them.

#5952 7 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

You don't anymore???

Haven't had cable tv or Directv service in four years. So I don't see any tits on tv.

#6069 7 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I hereby confess my sins.
My post on the last page was a devious attempt to lure out some new info and try to get this thread back on track.
Great posts, Aurich, MK6PIN and PinballRulez. Thanks for the info

Why wasn't this info shared a LONG time ago though, especially why didn't the pinsider share it?

1 month later
#6588 7 years ago

Kids in horror movies suck.

#6592 7 years ago

There's always exceptions....but generally kids suck in supporting roles. Like Newt. Like the shithead kids in Beyond Thunderdome, etc.

1 month later
#7020 7 years ago

Looks like some people do listen to the unmentionable podcast?

#7039 7 years ago

ooof...this was all kinda cringe worthy to me.

1 month later
#7801 7 years ago

Will the drop targets have decals on them or remain black?

3 weeks later
#8920 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Ok, you can continue repeating yourself now.

Ha, like no one else repeats themselves in this thread or any other thread? This thread would be 100 pages instead of 178 if people didn't keep repeating their opinion over and over.

#8928 7 years ago

I'll be considering an Alien once it's been available for at least 6 months and the gameplay has been proven and any issues debugged. But I sure do wish there was an option for a normal cabinet with awesome artwork. I'll never consider swapping a playfield and having $4000 sitting in a closet or in a box under the cabinet, at least not while Full Throttle is the only other game option.

Too bad that the swappable cabinet and normal cabinet with artwork aren't both options available to buyers. I was also happy to see some gameplay videos from Expo because the secret video that was supposed to blow everyone away was severely underwhelming. Kinda disappointed in the cheerleaders who kept hyping that secret video and telling everyone to send their money because of it. Really? That video blew your socks off when you saw it and you sent money in because of it? Meh. The gameplay videos from Expo were much much better than the in house marketing video and a new in house video should be created to show the game off.

#8983 7 years ago

Yeah, but the Alien Apologist episode was spot on.

#8995 7 years ago

I really wanted to enjoy FT. I've played it at someone's house (where it had issues) and I played it a lot at York (when it was up and running) because my booth was right next to Cointaker's FT. I think the ramps are very cool and some shots feel nice, but something about the entire game itself just doesn't grab me and many times I'd walk away after the 2nd ball or get annoyed I got an extra ball, because it just didn't have the total fun factor for me.

I can see it doing well on route because of its uniqueness, but I don't see the staying power when in a home setting.

#9043 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Just don't listen to Kaneda or Kim for your info/news. I am not saying they will be wrong or right but they certainly have been biased and seem to want to see a train wreck.

Who is Kim? And Kaneda appears to be taking another break from his podcast through the upcoming holidays.

#9045 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/mr68
Have fun reading the back and forth between him and Aurich when you have some time to waste.

That does sound like fun, but I thought you meant he also has a podcast.

#9125 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly RD. I am sure that I would like the pro better since it doesn't have the lame mini PF. I know that Eskaybee loves his GOT pro.

I had a GoT Pro and loved it, really a blast to play and it's fast, has tremendous flow and a great combo system. Art was lousy, but I like the translite and cabinet fine, just the playfield was very sparse for such a cool license.

I then traded GoT for a TWD Pro, just because someone was looking to do that exact trade and I figured I've seen all GoT had to offer, even though I still found it very fun.

TWD was then traded a little while later for X-Men LE. I really enjoyed modding TWD and playing it, but it was a very tough game with some cheap drains. I find XMLE to be a complete package for me - art, speed, flow, combos, modes and theme - and super fun to play and get lost in the X-Men world of battling villains, etc.

I'm hoping Alien gets everything right like XMLE does in my eyes, and then some.

#9130 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Oh no. You posted a positive X-men comment. Rarehero's brain just exploded, he may take a break from GB bashing to take up X-men bashing again

That's why there's a vast selection of pins to choose from. I have no idea of any past history of XMLE, or prior possible code deficiencies, nor any preconceived notion of why I shouldn't enjoy the game. It's a great theme for me and I have so much fun playing it. Plus, with the ColorDMD it looks amazing. Other opinions only matter to me if it ever comes time to sell or trade it, until then, bash away.

#9153 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It doesn't have a good reputation, so it's not the type of game most of us hope Alien to emulate.

Has a great rep in my house and I'm hoping Alien is just as fun, fast and flowing.

#9178 7 years ago

Yes, combo systems that reward making them are a lot of fun. Xmen gets that right with the various unique combo callouts and animations.

1 week later
#9288 7 years ago

Holy shit! Now that's what I expected that "secret video" to be like!

#9310 7 years ago

Now Alien needs a Safe Space setting?

#9314 7 years ago

Just get the game out already without having to add extra features not many people will use. Add it as a code update down the road if there's really a demand for it.

1 month later
#9654 7 years ago

I'd love to see an official full length video showing live gameplay. I know there are videos of gameplay taken from an expo or show, but it's not the same as a game played by someone who knows the gameplay, playing in a quiet environment along with high quality video.

The teaser videos, while fine for showing video clips, only show a flipper hitting a ball or a ball going into a hole. I need to see the actual shots and flow.

#9657 7 years ago

Any guesses of what will be replacing the airlock can?

Back to the original LCD screen idea in that spot? I'd like to see a Power Loader ball lock or loader claw arm that drops the ball somewhere.

#9707 7 years ago

Yeah, it's the huge bezel that makes the screen appear too large for that area. Probably would fit better in that spot with just the screen and no bezel.

#9741 7 years ago

That rulesheet is awesome! Well done and thanks!

#9879 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

The look of the cabinet has zero effect on gameplay...

Right, but it does have an effect on the aesthetics in your home. This is essentially a huge piece of furniture on full display.

#9884 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Toys are not furniture, no matter the size.

Quoted from nephasth:

I guess we're all in this hobby for different reasons.

Right, and everyone is entitled to their opinion of course even if it differs from yours.

2 weeks later
#10255 7 years ago

While I appreciate gameplay videos posted by players trying out the game for the first time, they can be painfully boring to watch when that player cannot accomplish goals and proceed through the game.

Any chance for a complete, official gameplay video by a player who knows and understands the game? The teaser videos don't demonstrate any flow or shots being made - they only show a flipper hitting a ball and balls dropping into holes.

2 weeks later
#10534 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I commented back then that whatever the issue was

Quoted from Whysnow:

I was just debunking you regurgitating this incorrect information yet again.

So you're an official spokesperson for Heighway? No? Then you need to take a step back and allow other people to ask questions and receive answers from Heighway.

I don't know you, but I know you from these forums and I know not to take anything you say seriously because you really just don't have the answers you think you have. You've certainly steered many people wrong in the past with your assumptions being presented as stone cold facts.

#10540 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

but we all know that you stalk a few people and constantly berate them whenever you get a chance.

I'm sure you have me confused with someone else.

But point being, just chill and let people ask their questions and get an answer from someone other than you. You don't have to chime in and reply to every comment like an authority. This is the alien "Official Game Thread", so I'd rather hear official comments and not a forum member answering.

#10768 7 years ago

Heck with waiting for an LE artwork reveal, I just want to see an official gameplay video before making a decision. That and actually seeing people receive the games and review them.

1 week later
#11078 7 years ago

Looks like a LOT of fun with cool shots. Looking forward to more gameplay videos from buyers now.

2 weeks later
#11613 7 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

It would be interesting if you could add a TV tuner to the LCD then be able to use it as a TV in the game when the game wasn't being played.

If it has an HDMI input available, then a Kodi modded Firestick would be a must.

1 month later
#13118 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

So, I'm just going to say it. I got my money refunded - my #3 slot is open for whoever wants it if it is still available.
Two things made me do this:
1. I realized I did not want a potential "problem machine" - in other words - I'd rather have the game once all the "growing pains" and "bugs" have been worked out.
2. I'm not someone who does well with delays. When I see a video with the games on the assembly line and lots of announcements about how many playfields are going to be produced and how many games are to ship at a certain time and then things go quiet for weeks - look - $8175 to some people here may be pocket change with a side of lint, but to me, that's fucking livelihood. I don't toss that kind of money around for fun. That is $1000 shy of a 2012-2013 Honda Fit I am thinking about buying to replace my 1994 Nissan truck I've driven for 19 years. I put Alien ahead of that (yes, that was my decision and I own that), and I came to regret that decision and now my priorities are back on track.
The bottom line: this game NEEDS to get out the door. I hated to pull out, but man, I'm not going to be part of the "maybe next month" club. I'll wait until hundreds of this game have shipped.
I do hope the best for Heighway. I want to see them succeed. No hard feelings at all - hopefully down the road - I can purchase an Alien SE when .......well.... they actually start shipping.
As for me, I'll visit LV-426 some other time.

Seems like a no brainer for anyone interested in the game. Wait for them to be actually available before parting with your money. Why tie up your cash for years unless you're actually investing in a Kickstarter type product?

#13141 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am sure you have le game number three jim.

You're awfully sure about a lot of things that you cannot possibly be sure of. Unless you're now a Heighway employee or spokeperson?

#13147 6 years ago

Point being, let Heighway respond or a person contact them for their answer. You just happened to guess right this time.

#13155 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It was pretty obvious that Heighway has integrity and is an upfront business, despite what some of you like to infer.
They did not double sell a LE. The simple and obvious answer when you are not trying to start some drama is exactly what it ended up being...

I'm not inferring anything about Heighway. Never have. It's just you always jump in and answer for Heighway when you don't know for sure what the deal is. Like jumping in and saying you're sure Heighway will take care of FT customers and give them a CPU or whatever. Just chill, enjoy your Alien pin and let Heighway answer the questions asked of them. That's all I'm saying.

1 week later
#13543 6 years ago

Watched about the 30 min of game play here at Allentown Town and played twice. So far my feeling of it is, "It's an Alien themed pinball machine, cool."

Not exactly a blast to play, but not bad. Wait to play it before sending money.

#13554 6 years ago

I don't like the ball launcher mech. I feel X-Files and Indy 500 did that style launch much smoother and faster. This mech on alien is very clunky, loud and doesn't feel good.

#13558 6 years ago

DarthSinex summed up my thoughts and the opinions of others I was playing with yesterday and today. Just an underwhelming experience compared to all the other new pin choices. It's lacking one really fun and satisfying shot in my opinion.

Front of the cabinet looks bland and ugly with like 8 bolts showing and the side panels on this game aren't even lit up.

#13560 6 years ago

Nearly non-existent pop bumper action too. This was commented on often during game play. They need big improvement.

#13562 6 years ago

I'll be playing again in a bit. Someone tell me what the best feeling shot is on the game and I'll see what I think.

#13580 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I agree with you there but then again when you a play a machine you don't really look / play on the cabinet so it could look bare with no artwork on it and the game will still be the same. The modular system is great for ops to change games regulary without changing machines

Don't play the cabinet but the cabinet would be in plain site in my gameroom on display with other games costing thousands of dollars. It would be the most expensive pin I owned and look the worst in the lineup. To me that matters.

When buying a used game, I'd like to not have one with lockdown bar holes drilled all over the front of the cabinet and filled in with rusty bolts. I certainly would hesitate on buying a brand new game riddled with shiny bolts all over the the cabinet front without even having some artwork to dress it up. I don't care about operators, I care about how a game looks and plays in my home.

#13642 6 years ago

Seems like more potential buyers are crossing Alien off their list after seeing it at Allentown. But I guess that's to be expected when main gimmick doesn't work and there are other problems. Might be best to stop allowing the public to play Alien at shows until everything actually works as intended.

You get once chance at a first impression and this year's Pinfest was a huge event with a lots of other new releases competing for dollars. I mean, what's it say when a beta-test game like Houdini performs better than a game with years of development behind it like Alien?

#13648 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

There's nothing else to the game? That's good to know, I WAS interested but now that I know all you can do is shoot for the big "gimmick" I'm Audi!! I actually thought there was more going on. Thank you for your detailed review.

I would expect the main gimmick to actually work several years after it was designed and especially when it's on display for buyers to play and evaluate. Not to mention the other issues that frustrated people when it was their turn to play after waiting 20 min in line.

#13653 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Just keep seeing you post and think "why doesn't he just accept that he hates the game and move on?". It happens man.

Hey, it's first time I finally got to see it in person and play it after the years of hype on this thread. I don't want to accept I hate it, because I don't "hate" it and I wanted to like it a LOT more than I did. Maybe by the time the York show arrives Alien will be fully working and I'll be able to give it another try.

I'm also stating what other people were saying while I was watching and playing and conversations I had with guys I was playing against. I can certainly repeat what I've heard and was told on a discussion forum. Plenty of rah-rah cheerleaders hyping the game in this thread, so a little counter balance is fine.

#13654 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We all get it... he wont be buying an Aliens.

No one can buy an Alien. So yes, you are correct that I won't be buying an Alien right now. It's a possibility though when the bugs are worked out, the gimmick is fixed and at least a 100 games have been shipped and are being played in homes. My wife is actually wanting to buy a new pin, so our money is ready.

For every 1000 posts you've made about Alien, surely you can allow me to have several of my own after finally getting to play one?

#13735 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

My airlock screen only shows flying though space while a mode is running good to hear there should be a timer, bad to hear mine isnt working lol:

In that photo of your game, I see the ramp surfaces very worn, which was exactly how the ramps at Allentown Pinfest looked. A lot of other metal on the game also had that worn, pitted look too.

Anyone know if these are prototype ramps and metal that will be finished and polished on the production games?

#13736 6 years ago

Pics of the ramps look the same on other games too, you can see when zooming in.

9a3bdf5626e52b54a35b87f3ae40e2a991c423b7 (resized).jpg9a3bdf5626e52b54a35b87f3ae40e2a991c423b7 (resized).jpg

7a355b47532f917b92862a6283148f67c69bd315 (resized).jpg7a355b47532f917b92862a6283148f67c69bd315 (resized).jpg

675fd40b6083b9a36934b6999bca1dd3f1cf861f (resized).jpg675fd40b6083b9a36934b6999bca1dd3f1cf861f (resized).jpg

d4863d5ec58df45cf8c42c10ca39e379bc3a9b73 (resized).jpgd4863d5ec58df45cf8c42c10ca39e379bc3a9b73 (resized).jpg

#13738 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Pretty sure the ramps are designed that way to go with the theme of the game honestly, but not positive.

Maybe. But check out the metal parts behind the airlock screen and queen head on your game and see if it looks the same. The Alien at Allentown had a lot of metal back there with the same worn finish.

#13741 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

They look industrial and fit the theme/game very well IMO.

If that's how they're supposed to look, fine, then it's a matter of personal taste if you like the worn out corroded style. I just would expect nice, shiny, clean looking ramps for the price of the game and because they would look terrific. These ramps are dull and worn out looking from where the balls has contact with them, so I don't think it's a style choice and more of a near production prototype ramp. Other metal on the game, not visible to the player, also has the same worn/corroded appearance. So why stylize unseen metal parts too?

Anyway, I'm asking someone who knows, like from Heighway, to comment on my question if these are finished production ramps?

#13749 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you want to say" I dont like the look of the current ramps and want to know if these are production versions" then all good, but saying "pitted" "corrosion" and "worn" is laughable.

I'll say what I want to say and how I want to say it, thanks.

When I saw the ramps in person at Allentown they looked so worn out and corroded that I assumed they were prototype ramps since Cointaker likely has an early version of the game. I just saw pics of other games that I assumed to be of a later batch of games and the ramps had the same appearance. Hence my question.

Now you say the ramps look industrial, right? Well doesn't "industrial" mean a worn, gritty, corroded, well used appearance? Yeah, so we're both describing the ramps the same, just using different adjectives.

#13766 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

ya they look unfinished to me... and i dont like the unused "brackets" just sitting on the top of the ramps. But it in no way makes me question buying this beauty of a game. I know that enough people dont like them one of the many modders will make something cool and we will all just throw money at them

A set of decals could look great, like the snake mod decal for Metallica, which really adds a cool look to the right ramp. But if I saw those ramps on a used game I would be checking the rest of the game very carefully since they appear to have the wear of a few thousand plays on them. Or the look of ramps on a pin that has been sitting in a barn for 15 years.

#13791 6 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It looks like things might have officially moved into production and these are no longer pre-production games coming out?

Check your ramps and see if they look brand new.

#13796 6 years ago

I'm just thinking that the ramps will look new if these are production machines. That's all.

#13798 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Would love to see pics of that!

That other guy must be talking about someone else. Here's my Met Pro w/ Time Bandit's Total Lightshow mod; Hooked spinners wired into Sound Caller board. I have to install the inlane mod for Total Lightshow and install the Premium Rising Cross mech that will be controlled by Time Bandit's system. So lightshow, spinners, rising cross, remove the pinblades & replace with mirror blades. Not a bead in sight.

20170515_185601 (resized).jpg20170515_185601 (resized).jpg
20170515_185609 (resized).jpg20170515_185609 (resized).jpg

#13805 6 years ago

Oh that? I had made that skull pile for my TFTC a few years ago. Since my TFTC is completely dismantled, I decided to see if I could somehow use the skull pile on Metallica. I took a pic when I was trying it out. I removed it because I didn't like it, but I always have fun trying to create something. I tried a coffin mod like you see there in that pic and also didn't like it enough to keep it. So it appears we have the same taste after all.

#13831 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I *HIGHLY* recommend putting some mylar at the airlock scoop.

If a new owner doesn't have some mylar available on hand they can go to the craft store and buy some vinyl cling like this. iceman44 gave this tip a while ago and it's a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J6CO9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Works really well and I have some protecting my Sparky magnet in Metallica right now until I place my next parts order. This way a new owner can protect that area ASAP and play right away with no worries about chipping.

#14108 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

- the metal ramp was filthy with residue from the welds. initially, I thought that it was an effect of an old weather starship that they were trying to achieve, but it was quickly pointed [to me] that on the ramp, the pattern of the ramp's filth matched that of the welds

Were the ramps able to be cleaned up? I also noted their nasty, unfinished appearance on the Alien at Allentown and seemingly every other photo of the game to date. Some people tried to tell me that this was the desired appearance of the ramps, but that just didn't make any sense to me.

#14119 6 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Not again
again with the ramps?

Well, then Heighway can answer the simple question - Are these the final, production ramps or are they leftover prototypes? Without an answer, one could speculate the ramps are prototypes or previously used and unfinished ramps.

No one here wants the answer to that question? Several new owners have commented on the unfinished, filthy ramps since I inquired about them after seeing the game in person at Pinfest. I see their comments were selectively ignored though.

#14120 6 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

For me as an owner it really isn't an issue. Fits the theme

The question wasn't if you (or anyone else) liked the ramps. The question, that only Heighway can answer, are these production ramps that EVERY game will have installed going forward? Or were old parts used to cobble together some pins so "Now shipping!!" claims can be made?

#14128 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

As someone with a deposit down I can honestly say I do not care about the answer to this question.

And that's fine. I don't care about fiber optics ramps and any discussion relating to them, but I'm not trying to shut anyone down who has questions.

#14131 6 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Your comment on my last post was pretty rude

My apology because I did not intend my reply to come off as rude.

#14255 6 years ago

Worth a watch for a chuckle and grin.

#14573 6 years ago

The big announcement is going to show off shiny new ramps.

Boy, turns out that was a reasonable question compared to shitshow over the last 3 pages.

#14671 6 years ago
#14970 6 years ago

Imagine if new court related audio was posted in the Predator thread? The top 3 hottest topics would be pinball manufacturers "stealing" from Pinsiders.

1 week later
#15182 6 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

can someone, for the love of god, tell me the benefits of preordering/prepaying... i have yet to work it out.

The company gets a multiyear, interest free loan from you. That's the benefit.

(Pre-orderers get zero benefits and zero game)

#15332 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

WTF. I asked a simple question because I don't know what the incentive is for anybody to be working on the game presently. I was not insuating anything.

I understood what you meant.

Jesus Christ, some people around here.

2 months later
#16177 6 years ago

Now this thread is finally becoming mildly interesting again.

#16179 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

says the guy that caused a 4 page increase over how shiny the ramps are

Actually it was about how shiny the ramps AREN'T.

2 weeks later
#16566 6 years ago

What was fixed on the ramps? Do the ramps now look new and shiny like they should?

#16625 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Apparently tomorrow will be the day that they are actually shipped

1 week later
#16810 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Aren't we past due for your documentation?

Probably saving that discussion for when the games fail to ship again. Everyone will need something new to discuss in here at that point.

#16812 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

can we get this dude thread booted for broken record status if enough people report? It is a valid question.
Honestly have never seen anyone drag on and on and on so ambiguously to try and claim he has uncovered some fatal flaw in the game... but you just need to wait for him to explain what it is. You are really getting old with this shtick.

Block him then. You have the power to not see someone drag on and on.

#16866 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

That's just how plunge works on Alien. Ball always feeds the right flipper. It's like Theatre of Magic (but autoplunger instead of manual).

I was gonna say it reminds me of the X-Files launcher.

#16972 6 years ago

I played Alien again at York and wondering if the ball launcher has been tweaked on the production models? That ball launch mech is loud, clanky, clumsy and just not a fun start to a game.

#16983 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Really? The ball launch was loud? Huh. Tell me more....

It's a crappy, cheap feeling mech that makes the ball rattle like a spray paint can. Bottom line. Just asking if that is something that was tweaked in production.

#17066 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I only have The Shadow, so I made my own "stadium" lights. Since I didn't need GI dimming it was pretty simple

Have you posted what you did? Interested in checking it out because even though I have a pin Stadium kit arriving in a few days I want to make a basic lighting kit for my big hurt pinball.

#17076 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I haven't posted anything about it.
It's Pretty straight forward on The Shadow. I just made a small adapter for one of the "J" power connectors on the power driver board (J116 in my case) and wired a barrel jack extension to that. Attached the LED strip to an angled channel and used magnetic tape to attach an angled channel to the inside on my mirror blades.
If you want to know more PM me and I can let you know the parts I used and/or I can post something in the Shadow thread.

Sounds like exactly what I was planning to do. You should def post something in the Shadow thread because I'm sure it will help a lot of people with that cool mod.

#17132 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Yeah, I have been looking at buying a Full Throttle, but have been gun-shy for this reason. And the fact that Heighway seems totally disinterested in continuing the kit model.

Buying a Full Throttle sounds like a bad idea. Don't ignore all the issues and lack of support that others have experienced. Do you really want to be another guy on this thread complaining about broken promises and waiting for parts that will never arrive?

#17219 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

1. You can't make a satisfying repeat a looping shot by hitting the shot successfully. Loops can incorporate some cool modes and scoring options.

Repeatable loops are a blast, just look at the new POTC.

#17269 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

minus the Al Capone's vault build-up next time though

Nothing else of note going on in this thread, so why not?

#17275 6 years ago

Exactly~!

#17280 6 years ago

This discussion of layout and gameplay is WAY more interesting than constant, conflicting shipping updates. If you don't like it, then just skip the message and continue down the thread.

#17331 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Personally I think greenhornets assessment is 2 years late

The game itself is two years late which is why many people are just recently getting a chance to play it and watch streams of others playing it.

#17347 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I seriously might as I just want to grab this and come home. Meetings all afternoon too. Waiting for the 100% confirm but with the 4 hour trip, I can see myself leaving at 5am!

Delivery isn’t included in cost of the game? Pretty steep price to pay and then have 9 hours of travel on top of that.

#17357 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Who the F includes delivery in the price of their NIB machine? Name one.

I don’t know, that’s why I fuckin’ asked. Who the F often gets a NIB pin from across the Atlantic shipped to them? Figured shipping and delivery would be included.

Lighten up Chachi, I wasn’t even talking to you anyway.

#17405 6 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Back to what this thread should be about....
Melissa from CT said Friday my Alien would be in and shipped out shortly after.

Not going to take the drive for it?

#17543 6 years ago

So it appears from the photos that the ramps are actually nice and new final production, which is great. I knew the ramps on the previously sold games looked crappy, tarnished, worn and had to be pre-production test ramps.

LOL at everyone telling me the ramps and other metal looked shitty because "it's supposed to be an old spaceship".

#17547 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Ramps look the same as they did in all the other pics rampman!!!

Now you're just being silly. No they don't. The finish on Delt's ramp is nice. The other games had ramps with tarnished spots visible from a mile away.

This is a good thing for all new buyers. The other ramps look like shit.

#17570 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Ramps look exactly the same as mine when new

This is a photo of the ramp from your Marketplace ad. So your ramps looked clean like the ones on Delt's game and the finish wore down after xx # of games?

Yours:
ramp (resized).jpgramp (resized).jpg

Delt's
rampnew (resized).jpgrampnew (resized).jpg

#17579 6 years ago

Yup, the new ramps look great. Until they won't anymore. Too bad that wasn't addressed in production but at least games are finally arriving.

#17610 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Order for Pinstadium will likely go in today

Order the Pin Stadium JJP connector also. You can swap Pin Stadium over to your WoZ, which would look super, if you didn't prefer to keep it on Alien. I suspect you'll be buying another Pin Stadium because it is a terrific mod for any game.

#17678 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No need for the eye-searing pinstadium overkills.

No need at all because you can set the brightness as well as the color.

#17684 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'll sell it used to someone else and eat the diff. I like all the options it provides and always willing to give something new a chance.

Just buy the JJP power connector with your order. Like I said, you can just move Pin Stadium to your WoZ or Dialed In if you decide you don't want it on Alien.

#17813 6 years ago

Heighway games come with any written warranty?

#17843 6 years ago

Might be the first time ever that a problem really is "just a fuse".

2 weeks later
#18448 6 years ago

Too bad those beacons couldn't be recessed into the cabinet so only the orange domes are visible. They are so tall and the cabinet head is so thin that something just doesn't look right.

3 weeks later
#18905 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

From ball banging around a little in the cage - it broke tack weld on the lowest and next to lowest circles. As a result the top rail hangs down lower and eliminates enough free space to prevent a ball through. I think there was a bit of misalignment with the shooter coil plus one of the screws in the shooter lane holding the wireform tab in place was too high. Both are adjusted now, but I'll need a new wireform.

That sucks, but the fishing line should hold it in place for now. I'm not surprised the wireform broke because when playing Aliens the first thing I noticed was how much the ball bangs around in the shooter when launched. It's not smooth at all and over time this was bound to happen.

1 week later
#19036 6 years ago

Why can't they color match the bolts too? The bolts look so out of place and ugly, so why make them stand out?

#19071 6 years ago

He was in too big of a hurry to continue reading the next few sentences of the message. Wanted to get a jump on writing the 6 paragraph reply.

#19151 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

So that crazy guy was RIGHT??

Make a few negative observations about a game after playing it and you're labeled crazy. But I'm certainly 100% correct about the ramps being total ass. If they were shipped like that from Stern then Pinside would have the pitchforks out and threads would be on fire bashing Stern.

#19156 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Oh, come on...I was just joshin' ya...

Heh, didn't mean by you. Couple of fellas on here, forget who, like to say the ramps are perfectly fine and *I'M* the one seeing things.

#19283 6 years ago

The blue trim belongs on a Baywatch. "Baywatch Blue" is the actual color name too.

2 weeks later
#19403 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

A Cliffy "Cliffy" or their own version?

Ehh, it's just like saying Kleenex instead of tissue.

3 weeks later
#19831 6 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Heighway Pinball designer Dave Sanders is interviewed by the Podcaster “Kaneda”. It’s interesting. Not focused on slamming on Andrew , but errors noted, or current owners. Sounds like a lot of shortcuts were taken with Alien that they are trying to make right for manufacturing now and have been applied by design team to game 3 (Barry O game ).

Finished listening to the Kaneda podcast and that was an excellent interview.

#19895 6 years ago

Do you think you need to do anything to prep that scoop a little better? It looks rough in there and wondering if that could scratch/pit the balls quickly?

3 weeks later
#20202 6 years ago

LED strips like Pinstadium don't look ideal on games that have long plastic ramp returns or a lot of plastics underneath the strips. I hate that glare effect from the LED strips on ramp returns or seeing the reflection on plastics.

#20206 6 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I think Pinstadium lights look best on making 90s era DMD games that were underlighted pop, not sure I see the value in putting them in a new game.

Exactly. My Baywatch and Big Hurt are totally different looking games with proper, even ,warm white LED strips along the sides.

3 weeks later
#20379 6 years ago

I wouldn't fall for that trick.

#20421 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The biggest problem in considering the purchase of an Alien is will this company still be active a year from now? I wouldn't buy one and its a grail for me, very happy I got out and was refunded in full. My advice to you kind sir is to wait on Alien as I am till its proven. Get a Met or TWD or something with complete code and great gameplay then sell it and buy a Alien when Heighway has shown its solid. JMO good luck

Yup, totally agree. Why get one now? Hopefully they start rolling off the line and shipped at a steady rate. Then go ahead and buy one once all the kinks are worked out in quality control when more have been built.

1 month later
#20966 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But the game has amazing appeal!!

It's my GRAIL THEME!!!!!!!

God, I hate that phrase.

#21168 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Quoted from benheck:
And over in the Alice Cooper thread someone was just moderated for suggesting the game might have issues (which I assure you it does).

The post you're referring to was made by someone who has a history of trolling manufacturer threads pretty hard.

Trolling? Commenting on how a game plays, potential flaws and issues is trolling? That GreenHornet guy seems to have made a lot of sense and was correct about quite a few things if you re-read his past posts. I've found his comments interesting whether I agreed or not.

#21202 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You may want to reconsider your taste in subject matter experts... in playfield analysis and podcasters.

Nope, I'll read and listen everything and draw my own conclusions. But these fellas were right all along.

#21328 6 years ago

Very enlightening podcast this morning about who knew what about what on Pinside regarding this fiasco.

#21334 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

what podcast?

Voted Best Podcast of the Year!

#21366 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

some of us are curious. how much of a reward are you offering for someone to go to Wales and locate a few playfields and a box of parts?

#21651 5 years ago

I recall being ridiculed last year when I reported issues with Alien after playing it at the Allentown show.

Ball launcher was lousy, loud, clanky and had trouble launching balls.

Xeno head, the main gimmick of the game, was 100% broken and non functional.

The ramps and other metal parts were of dubious quality and shitty cosmetic appearance for an $8000 game.

I was simply reporting on my experience with the game and the Alien fan boys didn't want to hear about it. Many chuckles were had at my thoughts of the game quality.

But I'm not the type to say, I told you so, to those fan boys.

#21654 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

You are a wise sage, one to be revered within the Pinball community for time to come. Well done.

Didn't say that. Simply pointed out I actually played the game and reported on the issues it had. No one wanted to hear about it. Just sayin'.

#21662 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

So what's the reason for pointing it out now?
Sounds like bragging that you were right, I told you so, blah blah blah

Other people have commented about various warnings/concerns being posted and then shot down by people clamoring for their GRAIL game. My comment goes along with that discussion and is another example of someone being flamed for not knob-hobbing Andrew and the game. blah blah blah

#21668 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s a good lesson for the future. If Chinese Lebowskis or Derproot games play like shit or are breaking in public & people mention it after hands on experience - maybe listen to them instead of dismissing them.

Kind of sad you had to point out the obvious after all this Alien nonsense.

1 week later
#22035 5 years ago

I use an instrumental section of Queen's Brighton Rock (starting at 2:10) on Mustang pinball as one of the music tracks that plays between modes. Sounds killer and this section is great pinball music.

#22061 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If anyone can't name 3 Iron Maiden songs, then you know they were home-schooled and their mom would not allow it......or they grew up listening to Michael Jackson
"Dude, who would wind in a fight, Michael Jackson or Prince ????"

I can name a few of their songs, not a big fan of their music but like some songs. But their album artwork is iconic and deserves a place on my wall.

20180514_122640 (resized).jpg20180514_122640 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#22323 5 years ago

Cash out!

4 weeks later
#22581 5 years ago

I see an elephant with an alien mouth trunk on that backglass. First thing my mind saw and I can't un-see it now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,799 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=pomc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.