pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pingod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11830 7 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Ok can someone please help, I have a chance of buying a Ghost Busters Premium for £6600 which I really wanted, but also have a soft spot for the Alien brand having grown up watching all the films. Do I go for the GBs or buy a LE Alien NIB for the exact same amount of money. Would be very interested to hear of your comments of anybody that's played both pins.

I had the same option,and choose the Aliens pinball machine instead.
Lots of guys around me have GB already,not many will have Aliens.

1 month later
#13173 6 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Cointaker's games will ship by airfreight

How about Nitro Amusements games coming to Canada

#13337 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Canadian dollar is pretty bad! They'd have to stuff euro's in that goodie bag to make it worth it! Haha.. i do know that there will be 2 alien (s) pins on free play at YEGPIN in 3 more sleeps!! Cant wait!

One should be mine to already planned for it to be on the floor to.
Should get a lot of play this weekend.

#13509 6 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Show me a fully functioning production Alien SE.

I will take some pictures of mine today and post them.
Picked up two Aliens for the Yegpin show here in Edmonton,Alberta last night.
Both direct shipped to Edmonton for the show.
Both will be set up for the show,reviews to follow.
In case you are wondering,I'm just an average Joe.
The Aliens have landed
I am the first official customer in Canada.
Thank you Tommy (pretty boy Floyd) from Nitro Amusements.
Thank you to Heighway Pinball for the game as well,cheers.

#13588 6 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

What's missing in this pic?

Crap,I was going to post pictures with my little pony where the Alien mech went.
Kinda crappy getting two Aliens without the bloody alien in it
What can you do,they redesigned the mech for it,and didn't have them ready.
At least they got them to us in time for the show,had a blast playing them,others did to.
We had the pitch at 6.5,could be steeper to speed it up a bit,plays great.
Also have a scoring issue on multiplayer games where it would only show 2 digits of your score per player after ball one.

Ball kicker sucks on both games,and they are both different.
Comes out to hard sometimes and falls back in.
Couple minor switch issues,they would come off the one ramp.
plastic clamps used to hold them on,slide off and break easy.

IMG_0478 (resized).JPGIMG_0478 (resized).JPG

#13631 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks very much for this bug report. Actually had nothing to do with the skill shots themselves (the code for which hadn't changed in ages) but a totally unrelated buffer-corruption bug when switching players. Happened pretty recently. A fix has been checked in.
And thanks for the excuse to play more of those two-player games with my wife, it had been a couple weeks... (Although when we replicated the bug this afternoon, she was player 1 and was the beneficiary of the 68.5M skill shot, and promptly gloated about how badly she was crushing me...

Thats good to know then,guess the high scores on my game probably aren't legit

#13632 6 years ago

My Alien is home to,to damn tired from the show to take a pic of it in the truck still,lol.
Sleep now

#13633 6 years ago

One thing to note before I forget.
My game the flippers would freeze up,I think it has something to do with the pop bumpers.
Seems to happen when coming out of there,and before it gets to the upper flipper.
It has happened three times that I know of so far. Could be switch related.

#13680 6 years ago

Fytr Thanks for doing all the writing
Fixed my sound issues,put a new speaker cable in.
Ken,come by and play it this Week.

I think I figured out my Flipper dead issue when it goes into the pop area.( I'm not a tech)
Looked like it had one closed switch,gapped it the same as the rest.
Now it is hardly popping,but no more dead flippers.

*Edit* I didn't fix the flipper issue.
When ball drops down through the V lane it shuts off the flippers,kills the play field.
Only when lane is not lit up,and during a mode.
I don't remember which mode I was in.

I think the game plays really good.
It could use some easy fixes though.
The switch above the ramp,slides off the end of the bracket a lot.
Plastic doesn't stay put long on steel.
The plastic washers broke,the first time being put back on.

Playfield chipping at the scoop already,needs a Cliffy.
Put mylar on there after the first day,already gone through that layer as well.
I think the scoop shoots it down at the edge of the play field. Need to check that further.

Magnet in front of Zeno is taking a beating already,can see lifting of the play field around it.
It does have a mylar there already.
Magnet was adjusted so it was not to low to start with to.

Ball trough kicker sucks,shoots out so hard goes back in most of the time.
Didn't see a setting for coil strength. I hope it's just not there yet Ferret
Easy fix if it's added.

Overall very happy with the game,the sounds and play really draw you in when you are playing.
Great for the people watching to.

If you are close by come give her a try
BYOB

1 week later
#13797 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I need help from the alien crowd. Please stop me from buying as pro. I sold a few pins a ways back to fund alien. With money in my pocket and no definate answer on when I can buy alien se I'm getting weaker by the day. Knowing that as pro is only an hour drive away is not helping. Please reaffirm for me the reasons I must hold out. Anyone? Andrew? Ferret? Guy who just received his?

All I can say is I like mine,love the call outs and sounds.
If you hit your shots right it is fast,not quite FT fast but close.

I still have a few code issues with mine,waiting on the code update to hit this side of the country.
I like the theme,so that helps a lot.
Notice something different each time I play it.

It's a lot different now that I have it at home,and can hear the game better.

#13870 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also does Heighway include a manual for their games, or does the diagnostic menus on the LCD basically make that obsolete now? The old manuals are nice for parts lists, diagrams, etc. Hoping they include one.
Basically I'd like to know a specific list of all the rubber sizes used in the game, in case I swap out.

No manual in mine,not even sure where to do my code update when I get it.

#13877 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

There's an inductive switch under the playfield just below the standup target in that lane. On older software, it required inductive switch -> standup target in quick succession to award the Chestburster lane shot. On newer software (probably what you have), there's an operator adjustment, "Chestburster Lane Diff.", that can be Easy or Hard. If set Hard, it follows the original behavior, needs inductive -> standup in quick succession. If set Easy, it only requires the inductive switch, and the standup is basically unused. I made this change because I was seeing on streams, as well as my own game, that many shots to that lane were just making it to the standup target without enough oomph to fully trigger the standup, and thus not registering. Frustrating for what's already a hard shot. So the Easy setting makes it, well, easier. The flip side of the Easy setting -- some may even consider this a benefit -- is that sometimes the pop bumper can kick the ball over the inductive switch and award the shot. Personally I consider that an acceptable tradeoff, but that's why I made it an adjustment, so owners can select the behavior that feels right to them.
All this means that you should also use Switch Edges to verify the inductive switch in that lane.

I thought it wasn't registering my shot all the time.
Now I know why,thanks I'll change my setting to.

#13913 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Hey Libtech. What game was yours at yegpin? Left or right? I put 10 to 15 games on both and felt they both played differently. How different does it play now that it's set to the proper pitch then at the show?
Thanks to you and pingod for sharing your games with us.

Mine was on the right

#13925 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Ill be checking and will report back, probably wired to the harness for the head on every game, then the pins are just put in place and beacons installed for games that have them - Ill be ordering some and installing and try and document it for those interested.

Get me some to

#13928 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

There's only 4 ratings now, i'm really interested by this pinball, saw all the videos on YT but i don't know if i pull the trigger and buy one, a few more ratings from fresh Alien's owners will be greatly appreciated.
I'm a afraid about the flow of this machine, it's seems a bit weird on videos. Also i don't like the flow of the ball in the right inlane after the ramp, it seems very slow and "jerky", is it normal? Maybe a little adjustment can repair this?
Also just one more question, they remove the third LCD screen? On some videos there's a lcd screen next to the Xenomorph head, but on Heighway website there's an Alien in a box.
Thanks

Third screen is there,at least on mine it is

#14012 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I'm sure I remember seeing a vid with Andrew discussing a machine they had in one of his mini factory tour videos, that has enabled them to print the games plastics in house, sure he holds up a sheet of the games plastics and says something about a few extra plastics/key fobs
It's always nice to get a few promo plastics with a NIB game to use as a keychain. Anyone with a production game able to confirm what's in the Alien "goodie" bag?

No date on the one that comes with the game.

IMG_2933 (resized).JPGIMG_2933 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#15060 6 years ago

If by North America,you are including Canada.
That would be Nitro Amusements.

1 week later
#15261 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Since I've never once modified a game, I'm not a serious collector? I've owned almost 300 games but because I don't glue plastic dolls to ramps and fill machines with clown puke LEDs, I'm a filthy casual.
Got it.

Plus you are Canadian

#15277 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Don't suppose anyone with a game could be an hugely awesome dude and make me an ISO of their Aliens hard-drive? My game is dead, and Heighway hasn't responded to emails

What do I need to do to help you out Dustin.
I am a computer dumb dumb though.
Might be able to get a friend to help me out for you though.

#15283 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Thanks Dan, I appretiate that, I was thinking what I could do is buy a drive dock/duplicator and mail it to you, then all youd have to do is pop out the hdd, and put it on the dock and press a button, then mail it back - super easy.

This I can do

#15306 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Thanks for the kind offer! No worries though I don't mind paying for it - Dan's a good man thanks for helping me out!

No problem Dustin
Thanks for the offer Mr68,but we got this.
He is only three or so hours away,lol.

P.S. Dustin is making me a beacon mod for mine,looks cool so far

2 weeks later
#15466 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Missing the goddamn alien head mech

Mine to

#15471 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Didnt you get you get your playfield swapped? Or did DT get your playfield for now?

Not yet,we are swapping games instead.
He will take the prototype,I will get a production model.

#15521 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

More good news - my Xeno head and parts are on thier way along with the update above, guys reciving refunds, things are looking up!

Good news,where's mine

#15526 6 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Yours is shipping to Nitro! You won't need it...you're taking the David Thiel model...complete with autograph! Lol

Yes I am,thank you Tommy
would be nice for you to have it in there right away to.
How's that going,I heard he has added a lot now.

#15567 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Lets keep everything as is and gets the games out the door. Amazing sound work by the way, audio is top notch sir.

Ferret is game code,daudioguy is sound.
They both are doing great work.

#15619 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Just got a care package for my Alien from Heighway/Nitro pinball. Sweet! Can't wait to get this bad boy in there thanks to Helmut and Tommy!

Mine is on the way as well.

#15624 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

sweet. and as soon as those molex connectors arrive, your beacons as well
Sure here are some pics of the mech, pretty simple, one limit switch on the tounge, one motor and a small motor for the jaw. Dont know what changes they made.

Excellent

#15626 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Thank you, yes I thought it was an electromagnet, but its just a permanent magnet.
There were a few guys on here that put an aliens on route correct? Just wondering how the Xeno head wears over time, there is a fairly local airbrush guy, I was thinking of bringing it over to him before I install to give it some detail!

Oh,good Idea.
I'll do that on my other one

#15631 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I gave a talk at Pintastic. 52 minutes into it I talk about Alien pinball audio. There is an "Alien Autopsy" of the Ambush Multiball music that might interest some here. This link should get you there:
» YouTube video
ddt

David,have you added all your latest sound code into the game now.
Also has the game code itself been updated since you have had the game.

Dan

#15636 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Yes, and yes.
I continue to test and refine the audio package while I have an Alien pin here. Invoking callouts well is a time consuming task. Joe and I continue to find opportunities to use the wealth of clips from the movies and Muthur to make playing Alien more understandable, immersive and fun.
At this point we have shifted from making sure that everything does something to polishing and refining everything and that feels great.
ddt

Most excellent,great job

#15637 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

it's cool to see your game being put to good use Dan! That's pretty bad-ass that your old pin is being used to improve ALL the future alien pins as well! (just too bad it wasn't in Calgary this weekend!!) can't wait to see the updates!!

David actually has my replacement game,I still have the Prototype here.
Tommy will swap it out with mine after David and Joe work their magic

Still going to install the Alien mech for Tommy,while I have it here.

#15658 6 years ago

I received my Alien mech yesterday,install after the weekend
Thanks to Libtech for forwarding the install instructions

2 weeks later
#15871 6 years ago

My ball launcher sucked when I got it to,needed adjustment to work properly.
Sill acts up now and then. It also jams up on the switch and stays extended.
Might need to lower the switch some to.

3 weeks later
#16318 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

They really need to fix this buffalo machine. For the record , there are three different people reporting the reset / shut down issues with the same game recently on this thread.
As more games ship , i am hoping to see this as an isolated incident or something to learn from.

Add me to the list,mine freezes and shuts down quite a lot.
It is a prototype,I expect the issues and hope they have them figured out.
Mine also blew a fuse recently,during game play.
I am told all prototypes will get updated boards,production stuff.
Game is still fun as is,but will be a lot better.

#16339 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

Make that three.
I've been waiting for my refund for three months too!

That sucks Mike,sorry to hear that.

1 week later
#16523 6 years ago
Quoted from onedeath:

No the mech is not registering right and the servo must have stripped a tooth or two. Got a new unit on the way...

Mine did the same thing when I installed the Alien head.
Works great when not engaged,sounds like gears stripping when it is.
Turned mine off as well.

#16536 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

These are the old ones, right?....not the new batch...

New one

#16537 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

No they are the new ones, the servo is a sg90 servo amazon has them, 3 or 4 bucks each, you have to swap the wire order on the connectro but its not a hard change.
It gets dammaged if you try moving the mouth when powered on, when its off it moves smoothly

Great,I didn't know anything about that.
Just installed it and it didn't work.

3 months later
#19336 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Anybody else losing their Facehugger Tails yet or is it better?

Not yet

1 week later
#19393 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I hope the bad playfields are not the end of Heighway, the theme is so cool it would be a shame if this is the begining of a catastrophe...

Top of the scoop needs to be bent back a bit,it kicks it out at the edge of the play field on that one.
Same thing happened to one of mine.

#19395 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious what the airlock scoop issue supposedly is?
After hundreds/thousands of plays on our Alien the scoop is still rock solid and very consistently shoots the ball to the flipper. Was something changed from the initial prototypes to the production machines?
I know some complained that the scoop is t-nutted in place which means little room for operator adjustment of it and it is so solid construction that it is tough to bend it if you need to redirect the eject.
I would like to see photos of what is different or causing the issues on the scoop.
I know on our game, i put mylar at the scoop eject and magnet almost immediately and the pf looks just like it did when we got it.
i do wish that they have chamferred (sp?) the scoop as the square edge is less than ideal.

No issues on my other Alien,just had a bad alignment on the scoop before.
I put mylar on that one as well.

Cliffy would still be nice there though.

1 week later
#19612 6 years ago

I updated code on both prototypes here, one game had a io2 board not found error after 10 games.
Air lock scoop, Vent 1 scoop, upper left flipper, and both switches by upper right ramp not working.

Other game seems fine so far.
except for the Alien mech not working, and auto plunger sticking out after launch.

#19614 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Was the update for the prototypes? I thought they needed some kind of upgrade?

I don’t know,I wasn’t told anything otherwise

2 weeks later
#19820 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Got off the phone with Helmut today. Really nice guy. Looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel for getting my prototype game up to date. Thanks again, Helmut!

I spoke to Helmut today as well.
I also have a lot of new parts coming for both the Alien prototypes I have here.

1 week later
#19974 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

ferret I ran into an infinite sentry gun mb just now after an incredible game of 6 modes and mini wizard on ball 2, that totally locked up the game. When sentry started, I had lost a ball and used the smart gun to start the mb so I would continue on. No balls were released and the game just stuck there.... I attempted to release 2 balls manually and let them drain to end the MB and nothing happened. I couldn’t move forward. I saved the debug and audit after that. Can you shoot me the email to send em to?

Right here
[email protected]

#19975 6 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Has anyone replacement there Alien head? Because the service bulliten the helmet sent me 6 months ago doesn't show the switch on top of the head being wired? Can someone confirm that it's not wired

Yep it’s wired up.
Should have come with a couple of small boards as well, to hook it up to.

ADF86892-1573-48C0-90F5-1ACF0045F57E (resized).jpegADF86892-1573-48C0-90F5-1ACF0045F57E (resized).jpeg

#19989 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

in your photo, it looks like your mech tongue doesnt return home either....

That’s right,this one doesn’t work right.
Came that way after waiting a long time to get it.
Gears are stripped,or not lined up right.

The one in my other game works good.

1 week later
#20184 6 years ago

I received most of my parts from Heighway Pinball, couple of days ago.

It sure would be nice to know where most of it hooked up.
I’m sure I can figure it out.

I’m still missing ramps and one side art,plus one lower jaw.

This is for two prototype Aliens.

F5C3E63E-D4A8-459D-9D4F-65DB7807D4C8 (resized).jpegF5C3E63E-D4A8-459D-9D4F-65DB7807D4C8 (resized).jpeg

8343938C-46EC-4B10-AEC9-27FB48615E8E (resized).jpeg8343938C-46EC-4B10-AEC9-27FB48615E8E (resized).jpeg

DFA14817-C67F-4024-9C01-F68DC0B2465E (resized).jpegDFA14817-C67F-4024-9C01-F68DC0B2465E (resized).jpeg

CC5B45C4-8E0F-4A0F-8647-75027A371661 (resized).jpegCC5B45C4-8E0F-4A0F-8647-75027A371661 (resized).jpeg

#20189 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Have you seen this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-the-heighway-alien
Perhaps you can join in the fun and have one thread for others to use as a reference?

Thanks,I didn't see this posted yet
I will add it to the fun.

2 weeks later
#20326 6 years ago

I have a beacon mod for Alien for sale.
Made by Libtech 60.00 Can.

I no longer have the Alien games to put it on.

#20330 6 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Waaaaaaaa? You sold both your games Dan?
I think that speaks volumes about this game.
QSS

Actually I traded it back to Tommy and the other one was his.
Plus picked up another Alien from me that was at the Pinbar.
Beacons are sold as well.

1 month later
#20578 6 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

I have to admit that HP definitely does not help out their cause on Pinside. I contacted them to to buy a new airlock scoop. I think that I have the original design because if you inadvertently shoot two balls in there during multiball it has a great deal of difficulty kicking out the balls. So sent a message to sales at Heighway Pinball and they responded the same day both times. When I emailed customer support, and when the sales guy sent my message to customer support, I got no reply.

Shit, I just had two of those here with the games i had.
Games and parts gone back to Nitro now

2 months later
#22405 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I still want one dammit

One for sale in Edmonton

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pingod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=pingod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.