• 24,879 posts
  • 990 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 minutes ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 268 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,871 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN6913 (resized).JPG
DSCN6918 (resized).JPG
DSCN6921 (resized).JPG
518EA3E1-9B40-4D09-9AF3-D08B83ACA387 (resized).jpeg
EC6E7BFE-1F99-4FAB-9410-B8F27C37F14C (resized).jpeg
DSCN6926 (resized).JPG
DSCN6925 (resized).JPG
IMG_4911 (resized).jpg
IMG_4910 (resized).jpg
Unbenannt (resized).JPG
36C12A21-ACB7-4C77-AA6E-93870258191D (resized).jpeg
12078675-4704659829489674 (resized).jpg
9A1AD931-4F86-4CAC-A73C-8318A968E54C (resized).jpeg
07445D35-9F91-4590-9914-57FDDA690747 (resized).jpeg
D09745A7-95CD-4576-AA7E-88E1EF02E6AA (resized).jpeg
AEDE433F-D01E-4758-9089-F84807756690 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchroma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3884 3 years ago

It looks very "Cartoony". I was expecting something much more "Dark" and not photoshop filter'y. A ton of glowing objects and the multiple use especially of the 2 center oriented aliens so prominently is redundant. Also the grid art and purple coloring at the top looks like some of the work you would see coming out of the ACiD/iCE art packs of the old days. (That's not a good thing)

One final thing, the images of the ships look grainy and the photoshop "scan lines" action gave me a chuckle

#3892 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Let's not go down that road please

yeah what's with his ninja edit?

#3896 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed! Everyone can have an opinion, it's all good. I don't care who they work for or anything like that, no need to fight with each other, and especially not on my behalf, I definitely don't want that.
It's not possible to make everyone happy. Especially not with a license where people already have an image in their heads.

I know Aurich takes this as constructive and its not supposed to be mean spirited in the least. I was very much expecting a dark and scary, nee ominous playfield. This isn't that. That was my expectation, good or bad. If this was the look they were going for than thats the look.

#3897 3 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

It looks like just a lot of cut and pasting from clipart. The inserts and icon art do not blend in well with the background and looks too photoshoppy to me. It doesn't blend together as a whole.
decals_(resized).jpg

This is exactly my point. The grid lines HAVE to go as well. It brings the cheese level to a maximum as do the random "planets". This was the first thing people who got a warez copy of 3dsmax were doing was making cheesy planet art because they could skin the sphere object.

Also the mixture of the drawn alien (with the unfortunately placed groin insert) and the movie snap aliens at the bottom looks odd. Pick one.

No additional comments from me.

</end>

#3908 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I take nothing personally.
Also, if you're not a fan enough to recognize certain things that's fine too.

I may not be. I've seen each movie like 20 times though Some more.

#3914 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

these are not random planets
The planet with the ring is Calpamos
The moons that surround the planet include LV 426 and LV 223 and an additional
--Jeff

Wow dude.

#3947 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Maybe aurich wanted to make them look like the sega master system game cases?

Holy shit I was drinking. Nothing like green tea out of a nostril.

1 week later
#4540 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, not to get too deep into this, but I have a day job, I'm the creative director for Ars Technica, so I can "afford" to work on passion projects. This one is taking up a lot of my time though, it's a bit of a juggle. I manage.
The issue with artists like the one above isn't paying them though, it's getting it all past the licensing department. There are a ton of great artists out there, and definitely better illustrators than me. People who do that for their bread and butter. But if it's not part of the style guide a lot of companies are gonna say "nope".
I'm a designer, I specialize in a lot of things, but I'm also a true creative director, in the sense that I oversee a lot of things. I spend a lot of time in sales calls working out ad campaigns for companies like Lexus or LG etc. I design user interfaces. I worry about things like ad viewability.
That's why I got into doing pinball art, it's a nice change from my day job work. And why I'm not a fan of the whole license thing. I deal with big brands all the time as part of my job, I don't need lawyers in my hobby. So after Alien I'm done with licenses. Just too much stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the game, pinball, or fun.
But this is a killer license, so just gonna ride it all out until we've got a great game at the end.

You shouldn't tell anyone you aren't monetarily compensated. This hobby sees it as a negative. Both Lloyd and I can attest to that Much like you I can "afford" to help out without having to charge for assistance and actually think its a positive to lend capabilities gratis to new companies. Some don't see it that way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
14,000 (Firm)
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchroma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside