• 22,852 posts
  • 949 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Bartzenegger
  • Topic is favorited by 276 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,388 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4928 (resized).JPG
291120661290_3 (resized).jpg
IMG_0500 (resized).PNG
9A6E24D6-05CB-4720-8183-29DD37681F74 (resized).jpeg
Can Safely Cut PETG (resized).PNG
CE754D3B-3013-416B-8FB0-11E492681810.gif
IMG_20180810_211559612 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180810_211513181 (resized).jpg
Wire_from_TV (resized).JPG
20180809_141539 (resized).jpg
4E500D4B-255D-491F-BC08-FBD7522FA685 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0192 (resized).JPG
IMG_0184 (resized).JPG
IMG_0173 (resized).JPG
IMG_0195 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (1 year ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (1 year ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (1 year ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (1 year ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (1 year ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (1 year ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (1 year ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (1 year ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrulez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

285 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinballrulez. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1467 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Hi everyone, as promised - here is the revised layout and shot map. I will post again tomorrow with more details, and answer any questions you may have...

Alien_Shot_Map_280715.jpg

Looks very promising!

1 week later
#1662 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I just ordered the anthology 4 blue ray box set on Amazon. It's on a super sale only $34 wow. Free shipping with prime!

I believe there are 2 versions of it. One with 4 discs that also include extended versions. And one with 6 discs. 4 for the movies and 2 for all the extra stuff. So if you are in for all the extras you will need to buy the 6 disc version.

1 week later
#1676 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Am going to the party at the weekend, oh well nevermind. Still looking forward to seeing the factory though and anything else revealed about Alien is a bonus.

Photos and videos are more than welcome here

2 weeks later
#1725 2 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Sure, I'm "complaining". It's completely unreasonable I guess to have a full year go by and expect a single update. Excuse me for having unreal expectations.
I'd like to officially announce I'm making a Mad Max pinball machine. Get back to me in 2020. I "may" have something to show then. Meanwhile, I'll start an "official game thread" where people can loosely talk about the movie franchise but hopefully throw in many boob pics along the way.

Your reaction is not realistic and totally out of context!

If someone has supplied enough and realistic updates to this forum it is Heighway.

#1728 2 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

You lost me. Honestly, why is my reaction not realistic? It's not realistic to expect a new update after year? And how is it out of context? I'm simply saying another manufacturer who can't provide regular updates and show real progress (but can take deposits) is frustrating. And I certainly don't want to hear the old "we expect development on game #2 to go much faster/smoother" when there is no evidence to show that's true and we all know what that has been like with a certain other manufacturer. Perhaps Heighway themselves can comment on what they plan to show at Expo this year? (if anything?)
If you're happy with what you're not seeing and you're happy with how things are heading in pinball then great. We all have our own opinions (albeit only some of us are capable of expressing them without childish insults and personal attacks on others).

Really? This thread started 10 months ago. That is less than a year. When you search only on posts from 'Heighwaypinball' you get a lot of posts.

Don't try to be childish or insult you, just cannot follow your logic.

P.s. I recently jumped from the JJP train, so maybe I am more easily satisfied with the info Heighway is supplying

#1740 2 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

But hey, maybe Heighway is planning to show a flipping whitewood at Expo and/or approved artwork? Can someone from Heighway comment on what they plan to show just a month from now?

I think all signs are green here. They even let people in on a closed session to show stuff that cannot be made public at that moment.

If approvals are in they will show new things as soon as possible I think.

#1797 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Has there been any word on pricing for the new playfield kit?

I believe 60% of the price of a complete standard edition version

#1930 2 years ago

The Facehugger toy is due to be located in that general area..

Love it!

#1950 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So are you saying there won't be any movie clips or just not looping all the time?

Here you go
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-ships-games/page/8#post-2620372

#1954 2 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

I'm wondering the same thing. Having live action movie clips playing all of the time would probably be a little distracting if they are on the playfield (these may be better suited for the cabinet LCD for spectators to watch). The playfield LCD would work out great as the display for the motion tracker, the greenscreen readout for updates from Mother, or as the Minimum Safe Distance self-destruct countdown clock. I'm really hoping however that we'll have live action clips from the movies in between game modes or before the start of certain objectives/multiballs though. Even some of the intro sequences when you press the Start button etc. I think those would work out nicely.

It is been talked about by a Heighway employee. Maybe you missed my earlier reference like 1 page back?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/39#post-2673316

3 weeks later
#2213 2 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Anyone played Alien Isolation? Awesome atmosphere and such a great game!

Yes on ps4. Only the start. But if the pin could capture some of that atmosphere that would be awesome

#2271 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I could see a lot of people waiting for Alien and then buying Full Throttle as a kit.

Or the other way around

Hoping to receive my FT in about 6 weeks. Very excited about it

#2367 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

my prediction is X-mas 2016

I will go for Christmas 2015 as for the full reveal

#2445 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd like to bring the Weland-Yutani logo from the second film into that area. That's an older version than the one I posted on the previous page too.

That's an older image, there's a little more going on in there now in that direction. But it's subtle, the xeno and the logo are the focus. Here's a more up to date version:
Standard-Side-Art-4.jpg

Though subtle, when comparing both pictures on my phone the last one looks to create more depth. Nice work.

#2499 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm. I know what you mean. And I think Hobbit's LCD looks gorgeous, but a bit overwhelming. At least to a new player. But that's because they made some different decisions than we did.
For instance, Hobbit has all of their mode stuff on the LCD. We have a more traditional setup, with inserts on the playfield.
I think the real different is that for Alien the LCD screen is going to act more like a DMD. It shows you your score, it plays cool animations during big events, it gives you instructions. But it's not a big crazy dashboard. I would think of it as a middle ground between the traditional DMD approach, and JJP's LCD approach. Hopefully a best of both worlds.

I think the big LCD makes the small LCD in the backbox obsolete?

I really would like to know this as I have the small LCD on order and that could be a waste of money.

#2506 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, it's all about preference. The small LCD gives you a backbox display, with a large bit of art still. Personally if I was in your situation I'd probably opt to upgrade to the larger one instead for a few hundred more, but it's your money. It just has a much better impact.
Edit: To be clear, you pick one or the other. The demo at Expo was on a machine that already had the small LCD. You wouldn't normally have both like that.

As I have a Full Throttle on order I was a bit surprised with the big LCD showing up. As of course it wasn't an option when I ordered my pin.

More info on that would be great as I have little time to decide what to do if I know my options.

For example: will the small LCD also be used for animations or just mirroring. Is the big LCD going to replace the translite as well or have just attract mode etc.

I like all the options. I also like to get a clear understanding what I am buying and how that impacts my player experience.

#2522 2 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all their feedback - both at Expo, and here on Pinside.
To clarify our hardware situation - we can currently support two separate HDMI feeds from our motherboard. We are also investigating a third separate feed via USB which may or may not be available by the time Alien Pinball gets to market.
Currently, the two backbox screen options both mirror the playfield display. We do not have any immediate plans for separate feeds here. We plan to make this happen at some point in the future, but we can't confirm if it will be available by Alien Pinball's release, a later software update or our third title.
We truly believe in our playfield-located LCD screen. The player's focus is above the flipper area and it does not take long to get used to this new screen location. The backbox screens are available to enhance the experience for the player or ambient watchers near the machine.
We have been amazed by the number of people who have been blown over by the 27" screen option. Many people have commented that it brings a "wow factor" to our system. When we tested this option for the first time last week, this was out own conclusion.
As a company looking to make pinball mainstream again, we now believe that this new screen option can help to attract new players to our games, and enhance the overall pinball experience.

Thanks for the update Andrew.

Anything known yet on pricing or upgrading from small LCD if one on order?

And how does the large LCD impact the backbox art?

#2536 2 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

As good as the "big" LCD looks, I don't believe I will be ordering one. The Heighway system is designed with the LCD in the playfield, which I think is a Great idea. To have the "big" LCD just mirroring the in screen display, is of no value to me. I would rather have a "Big" backglass. Now if they where separate feeds part/all of the time, that would be Awesome, & it would make the "big" LCD a must. So until they confirm two separate feeds, I think I'll pass on the "big" LCD.
It's great to have options though! Kudos to Heighway on this!

Hopefully the big screen will be present at the Dutch Pinball Open 2015 so I can see it there and judge if I like it or not.

As I have room for only one pin I find it hard to make a decision now as it will impact all future purchases. Also I do like the backbox art and how is the big LCD going to impact that. Lot of questions.......

#2543 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

People don't realize that there will be art around the large monitor, as well (all be it smaller of course). When my "row" is off, WOZ doesn't look much different than the other dark ones......but when it's on...a different story altogether.......

I think we do, but how will it look? Will the LCD screen complement the art frame around it? It is just difficult too choose if you are not fully aware of the options.

#2546 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's why I'm waiting. No need to preorder

I did not preorder. I am waiting on my Full Throttle.

#2548 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Any thoughts on the fiber optic wire being made available as an add on to standard games?
Just thinking about getting a Full Throttle, but would love the Alien fiber optic wires on the ramps. I guess right now the only way to get those would be to get a complete Alien LE game vs just the playfield.

Yes it will. Being tested at the moment. No pricing available yet. Beacons and shaker will also become available as upgrade.

#2588 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Aurich do you know if the playfield art is the same on the standard vs. LE? I thought it would be.
Cheers.

As far as I know playfields are indentical except for the fiber optic ramps on the LE.

#2618 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For the preorder folks:
If Heighway removed the playfield screen but gave you the small screen in backglass as an included feature but offered the large screen as an upgrade, would this be a deal breaker?

It is part of their philosophy. I don't think that this is changed anytime soon.

A deal breaker, not for me. The biggest appeal for me is the modular concept. Having room for just one pin and having the possibility of owning many games is just great.

Heighway uses new technology now and I think will do so in the future. They also have innovative designs and the virtual to physical conversion of pins has many advantages.

They make many parts in-house, have set a goal to assemble a pin in 6-8 hours. And are shipping pins now.

Andrew and his team are great to talk to and I think they will achieve that Heighway will become a big player in the entertainment industry.

So will the playfield screen removal be a deal breaker.......I don't think so

2 weeks later
#2736 2 years ago

At the Dutch Pinball Open I have seen a picture of the Alien playfield (not yet approved). And it is way above a WOW it just looks marvelous I know, it is all about taste but man this game has the potential to stand out high above all what is currently available.

#2740 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks man. That design you saw (I imagine on Andrew's phone) has been submitted to Fox, but now we're just waiting to see what they think. So the final outcome is still to be seen.
At this point the process just has to play out. They might have a ton of comments and fixes, we might go back and forth for a while, or it might be smooth and easy. You can guess which outcome I'm hoping for, but it's out of my hands until I hear back and see where we are. So everyone will just have to be patient while we go through it all.

Yes, it was a picture on Andrew's phone. It made me get goosebumps and I could see the pride in Andrew's smile when I told him it looks just awesome.

#2750 2 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Does anyone know how many are left?

Yes, Andrew.

#2781 2 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

At what point do people start panicking that the LE will sell out and they won't get one?
200 left....100 left....50 left?

For $1500 dollars you can secure a spot and your overall price will not be influenced by any exchange rate fluctuations.

Paid amount is refundable at any time before your game goes in production.

I have seen the (unapproved) playfield art and if you want to go for the LE I would advice to secure your spot. After the official public reveal I think the LE's will sell out fast.

#2795 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Might depend a little on what a heighway shaker, rotating beacon topper, and fiber optic ramps will cost separately, but yeah.

As far as I know the price difference between LE and SE is for the greater part based on cosmetic. Functional wise you can upgrade you SE with all LE stuff for a reasonable price.

#2797 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Will the LEs or standards be produced first?

I know for Full Throttle they are produced at the same time.

#2802 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Not sure an LE has been made yet on Full Throttle. If they do exist, wouldn't we have seen Heighway's fiber optic ramps?

Good point. I asked Andrew about the fiber optic ramps last month and he said they are still being tested. I do not know the details about the current state though. Maybe Andrew can give us an update about this.

Andrew told me that my pin (SE) is in the next batch and that the LE's will also be produced in the same batch.

#2855 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Thanks all but I need to locate the width of the cabinet. Not sure if the backglass can be separated from the cabinet.

Quoted from Sticky:

I'd like to know this as well. Just so I can start picking out a space for one should I buy it.
These should be more compact length wise I would think due to not having the traditional backglass/box setup.

Here you go, Internet is your friend :

Full Throttle Measurements:

Height: 75 1/2"
Width: 27"
Length: 55"
Weight: 250lbs

Please ensure you fully check that a pinball of this size will fit into your intended location.

Here is the source:
https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/pinball-machines/new-pinball-machines/full-throttle-pinball-machine.html

#2876 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

There has been some scuttlebutt about possibly introducing a 3rd possible different original video feed via USB for another LCD as opposed to just a duplicate mirroring feed some where down the line after Alien has been in production for some time. I don't believe this will come to fruition on the Alien title. If it were too, hell yes I would add the 3rd LCD option at that point. But again, seems unlikely as most of the rules and modes were already designed and planned a year ago for this pin.

I believe a 5 inch LCD is part of one of the playfield toys. Add the 10.1 inch playfield LCD and a backbox LCD and that makes 3 video feeds for Alien.

Maybe Andrew can update us how this is going to be handled by the hardware.

#2881 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

You can backtrack in this thread and find your answers. But to summarize, the heighway video system can do two original different video feeds. That's what it was designed to do and that's what it will do. If you add an additional LCD in the back box it can't provide an original different video feed for that. Thus it just mirrors and duplicates the playfield LCD for the optional LCD you can buy additionally for the back box via a video splitter adapter.

I know what is in the thread and other info around, no need to educate me

Do not think Heighway's technology will not evolve. So it could well be possible that in the very near future the hardware supports 3 independent HDMI connections.

Maybe we will hear about this in an upcoming update.

#2884 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

No offense intended. This would be wonderful. I'm onboard totally. I just don't feel that will happen close enough to the Alien release. I would love to be proved wrong though.
Andrew did address this and said they could consider looking at using a USB video feed for future games if they needed to go with 3 but was doubtful Alien would be affected. I watched his explanation on a video link where the question was posed to him from an audience member while he was speaking. Come to think of it I may have been the one feeding that line of questioning remotely as it was happening, if I recall correctly.
I love the interwebs.

None taken. It is our enthusiasm

Please note that the big screen implementation 'came falling out of the sky' and I believe it only took them a few weeks to implement this.

Due to the modular build of Heighway's pins a lot is possible. Maybe we will get spoiled with the full option package with Alien. Time will tell.

If all is in line with the playfield art (let's hope this gets approved soon) Alien will stand high above all what is currently available. Man, looking forward to the total reveal of this pin

#2888 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

when are The following payments?
Personnaly i will wait to see a artwork to take a décision.

Initial Deposit: £1,000 / US $1,500 / €1,500
50% Payment: Due in week of manufacture
Balance minus deposit and any fees applicable: Due prior to shipping

http://heighwaypinball.com/storenew/

#2903 2 years ago

Due in week of manufacture: do we know when is about?
Thanks

That means that Heighway will let you know in what week your pin is going to be build. In that week your final payment must be made.

Next batch (believe 78 pins in total) of Full Throttle should me made between now and end November 2015.

For Alien no production date is known yet, but Andrew has said he hopes that would be around Easter 2016.

#2927 2 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Hmm...I'm starting to feel like I might be the only one that actually wants the smaller backbox lcd along with cool LE art.....

Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm leaning that way myself, if the display is only going to shown score and a few minor animations then I'm staying with the small backbox LCD for sure. I need to see more before I can decide..

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Same here. If its going to show real movie clips and some bad ass animations, then I'm going to insist on the large screen. In that case I would really see the standard as the way to go for me personally. I may go that way either way, since an alternative translite can always be added later and I feel pretty neutral about the standard art (don't love it but don't hate it either).

Quoted from aeonblack:

I can't say either way until I see the finalized art for both versions. As bigdaddy07 said, knowing what the screen is going to be used for is also going to make a big difference, and if it's just scores and such then I don't see much reason for the larger LCD. Gameplay is absolutely going to matter, but the shot map looks good to me, so I'm not too concerned. At this point, I would take any new information!

Quoted from ZenTron:

If i got Aliens it would be on location so i'd get large screen. If its sitting in your basement I can see opting for small one or none on backbox.

Quoted from accidental:

One thing that occurs to me is that the big screen might end up looking a bit odd.

If the context of the display on the playfield is critically important then won't it look strange to see the same content presented out of this context on the backbox?

Quoted from Kneissl:

Agreed 100% I think the screen on the playfield is great.. Sure you might look up in a stop and go moment and a big screen on the backbox is cool but why bother when everything is down where the ball is.

I had the small screen on order. After seeing the big screen in action.....WOW.....it looks gorgeous! For me there is no way around it. And yes, the big screen adds a lot to the atmosphere and experience. Even when only mirrored.

I am going BIG

#2935 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

It was cool to see both the big and small back box screens side by side at Expo. I must say I was naturally attracted to the large screen and went right to that machine first. Have to realize right now it's just duplicating what's on the small play field screen so it makes you wonder where they could take this if they were to head the way JJP is with theres'. With Alien it could be over the top cool. I hope they are intending to improve upon, big time, from their first go!

Andrew said they won't head for the JJP way. But it is very likely that animations are going to be implemented. Maybe already for Alien.

2 weeks later
#3016 2 years ago

As some have pointed out, it's a common misconception that narrow body = fast and flow, wide body = slow with no flow.
It is all about how you use the space, and place mechs like slingshots
Some have commented that Full Throttle is the fastest game in pinball. Whether this is true or not, Full Throttle does prove that a widebody can have both speed and flow

Confirmed

#3019 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any chance an Aliens prototype and Full Throttle will be at TPF 2016 ?

Or maybe EAG International 2016 in London.....

#3021 2 years ago

another question that has certainly been developed here, what are the main difference between standard and LE model? is it only cosmetic or there will be gameplay variation?
thanks

http://heighwaypinball.com/Gamenew/

The following can be bought as an upgrade for the Standard Edition also:
- Beacons
- Fiber Optic ramps
- Shaker motor

So in the end the difference is all cosmetic.

#3025 2 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Let's be honest, if you don't put the big screen in the backglass area something's wrong with ya, it's amazing. I'm just frustrated LE now just means trim stuff. Make some playfield items exclusive. Doesn't have to impact gameplay, but man lighted ramps should be LE only.

I think it has to do with their modular approach. People who have enough room will buy LE's and leave them as is.

People with less space (like me) will buy one cabinet and multiple playfields with upgrades as wanted.

#3032 2 years ago

i don't understand, does the LE also get the modular concept? can i put a LE playfield in a standard cabinet?

Yes

#3046 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

don't feed the troll.

Just my opinion and topic related. Food for everyone

#3081 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Cool, but why isn't the Alien art on the official site, given it's own forum on pinside or backed by Heighway? What's going on? I want to get this game, but not sure about the art, game play or rules/code. Is the engineer that didn't show up at expo still have a hemorrhage?

There will most probably be no extra parts seen until the full game will be releaved. From what I understood that is what Fox wishes.

Maybe the game will be revealed at the EAG show London, more likely during the Texas Pinball Festival 2016.

#3120 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just checking in on Pinside and saw this thread got a little activity. Working with my friend Kelly over Skype right now on animations for a mode. Having a lovely discussion about icons vs text for a particular failure message. This is the kind of nerdy shit I love, and Kelly also happens to be a game designer as well as an animator, so he loves it too.
If you're wondering, hitting a particular bad shot is going to just get an icon, but a complete failure gets an icon and text.
We're really looking at treating this like a DMD, but with high rez animations, and more space, meaning we can display a lot of important data at almost all times, while still doing animations. It's a great mix.
If I was to make my own game now there's simply no way I could go back to a DMD after working with LCD.

Keep this kind of updates coming

#3191 2 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Did my first "ignore". But follow up posts still show. Let's please refrain from arguing with idiots. I truly wonder why one would hang out in a place where one is so reviled.

Me too, how refreshing.

Getting my Full Throttle as all goes well end January 2016. But I am already looking forward to Alien. I hope Fox will make it possible that Heighway can reveal Alien at the Texas Pinball Festival 2016. In the meantime I can enjoy my Full Throttle and get funds ready for Alien.

2016 here we come

#3213 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

With regards to theme desirability, Stern has 8 themes they are making at this moment. GOT, Kiss, WNBJM, WWE, TWD, Mustang, Star Trek, and Metallica. I am currently only interested in one theme (GOT), maybe two (WWE), if we are looking solely at theme. But I have no desire to own either one of the games when looking at the whole package. Heighway has two themes with FTH and Alien and it's true that on the surface Alien is the only theme I would be interested in but after playing Full Throttle, I'm seriously considering trying to make that my first NIB.
I like the idea of the Ghostbusters but this modular system where I could buy Full Throttle and then buy Alien at a reduced price is really intriguing to me. So looking at a theme to gauge whether interest will be there is a falsehood. A good pinball machine is the sum of the parts.

I believe they have 6 titles in the works at the moment.

If all goes well in 2016 Alien and games 3 and 4 will be released.

So you not only have the modular system advantage, but also some titles to choose from. Or own them all

#3215 2 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Are the modules going to have cases and/or be able to stack say 2 of them under a game?

The playfield, art and software comes in a box. I believe one can be stored under the cabinet.
The rest of the playfield collection should be stored elsewhere.

Here you can see what the box looks like (see 1:01 mark):

#3250 2 years ago

Do you think that is The end for original theme? Only licence will come for The future, whatever The manufacturer?

Quoted from jayhawkai:

May depend on how Lawlor's JJP pin #3 does.

Full Throttle is an original theme
Though I believe games 2 till 6 are going to be licensed.

#3253 2 years ago

That' s correct. I saw you have rated it. Do u know how many mb, modes and/or wizard modes are there?
Thanks

Check this thread you will find a lot of information about Full Throttle there (including a tutorial about gameplay and rules):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-throttle-club-enjoy-the-adrenaline

#3285 2 years ago

Fact is that Fox seems to only approve a public reveal of the complete game. So don't expect anything to be shown until the whole pin has been approved by Fox.

Hoping the reveal will be at Texas Pinball Festival 2016.

#3311 2 years ago

That is what i said, it is in option. Does it mean that this one Will only be a mirror of The playfield screen?
What about my others questions pls?
Thanks

For Full Throttle the screen will only be mirrored.

For Alien the plan is to mirror. Might change with future updates or during development.

So for the time being mirrored is confirmed and any non mirrored features are a bonus.

P.s. the big screen looks gorgeous Already when only mirrored it adds a lot to the overall atmosphere, so it can only get better

#3313 2 years ago

Buy a Full Throttle now to sit through the wait for Alien

P.s. if the (unapproved) playfield art represents how the whole Alien package is going to look. Alien is going to be beyond gorgeous

#3315 2 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

The second Alien is revealed, & if it looks & shoots half as good as it does in my mind, its going to send a shock wave through the Pinball industry!

#3364 2 years ago

Another update for everyone.
We have had no less than 27 submissions approved by FOX within the last 24 hours - including the playfield art.
This represents a huge step forwards for the game.
It *may* be possible to show you playfield art next week. We are pushing hard for this.
I will update you as soon as we have more news.

Congrats! Looking good

#3392 2 years ago

Ok - just confirmed ...
We WILL be showing you the playfield art next week

I have seen the playfield art on a telephone screen and it looked gorgeous. It must be off this planet in full HD on a full size LCD screen.

Ehh Andrew, next week is Monday?

#3397 2 years ago
Quoted from nonik:

sure? i sent an email the last day 2 of January, im still waiting a response, im not in a hurry, but, if im thinking to buy a pinball, its very very much money, and, i want a good service.
Now, i have doubts about it.

Just call them. Email is not the best communication channel if you want fast answers.

#3407 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That's great timing with the EAG International Show in London from 12-14th*.
*which Heighway are attending.

Doubt they'll reveal on Monday. Show starts on Tuesday.

I know, but you can always hope

#3681 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Last one for the night, The Chestburster. Only one of these, and it's connected with a controlled drop target. There might be a magnet involved.
Chestburster_(resized).jpg
That's it for tonight, but I'm enjoying putting little explanations together with closeups, maybe I'll do some more when I wake up, along with the playfield if people are digging it.

Thanks Aurich, really cool doing it this way.

I have heard from a reliable source that you only need 2 hours of sleep a night, see you in a bit

#3753 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the full playfield

Like it a lot. Job well done!

When the playfield is fully populated this is going to look killer.

Now back to look and absorb all the details

Quoted from Aurich:

I was going to talk about some more details first, but since the flyer is out that seems silly. I can still do that more later if people want. full-playfield_(resized).jpg

Please, more talk

#4187 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's the kind of thing I'll need to color balance when the final art is turned into a CMYK proof.
The reason for the black around the LCD will become more clear when you see what the screen and inserts are doing.
This is the problem with showing just the playfield, you're not seeing the LCD and the inserts working the way they're supposed to. So gonna just have to hang in there for that part.

And you see, (almost) everything has been thought of. You got me more than excited

Keep those 'behind the scenes' stories coming Aurich. Thanks!

1 month later
#4768 2 years ago

Wow, looks nice a shiny and yells quality.

What I really like:

- Details in the inserts. For example the facehugger looks like it is ready to go walking over the playfield
- Top of playfiled color changed from red to blue. Looks more uniform now

Looks like the mission inserts get some kind of special light treatment as they are very dark and have no extra drawn details on them.

Overall the playfield looks a bit on the dark side, but photos mostly do not reveal the colors as seen by human eyes.

#4821 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Andrew didn't hire me for my art skills, it was my ability to be a snarky asshole that sold him.

Aurich, can you tell why the Alien 'I' inserts are so white? Are they going to interact with some sort of blacklight? Or create a glow in the dark effect? Or both

1 week later
#4893 2 years ago

Today ... a heartbeat

IMG_8962_(resized).JPG

Can someone turn that playfield around

#4919 2 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

So the pin is in the "potential" stage? I find it a bit disturbing that the pin is just "starting" to show the capacity to become or develop into something...

I understand what you are saying but disturbing I would convert to long waiting.

I think the storyboard is packed with things they are going to implement. Do not forget that they have a virtual platform also. So the stage they are in now is making everything work in the real world.

I am an owner of a Full Throttle and it is hard to believe that this is Heighway's first pin. It is amazing in many ways. So the chances are high that it only gets better I think Heighway will not disappoint

#4952 2 years ago

Everyone not involved with Full Throttle production is working flat out on Alien.
As each day goes by, we have more and more being played and tested on the prototype.
Realistically, production before or by the summer is achievable.

Hi Andrew,

Are we going to see more of Alien (like already been done with showing the bottom part of the playfield) before the public reveal. I other words does Fox approve partial releases of things being shown to the public?

I would approve that

#4959 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It's only 3 weeks out now. If everything is going to be shown then, it would be much better to keep the vast majority of it behind a curtain and then reveal it all at once. It's likely to convey a much better impression.

Still fun to get some teasers

1 week later
#5017 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

... also please can someone clarify... can a standard Aliens become an LE just by paying for the extras? Is the only thing that can't be bought the LE specific side art and backglass (that is if one went for the smaller LCD in the backbox) ?
Thanks.

The following can be purchased as an upgrade for Alien I believe:
- Fiber optic ramps
- Shaker motor
- Beacons

LE Art, Cabinet and trim are unique to the LE.

#5022 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can say that after just 4 days of Full Throttle in house (well my house for initial setup/play testing and now out at Pooleys in Madison) that I am VERY pumped to see aliens unfold!
I am hyper critical of games and the build quality all around, overall great engineering, and LEAPS forward in pinball that Heighway have shown are really phenomenal! The only thing I see left for them to do it ramp up production when Aliens is ready and hopefully have another deck ready just after that.
If I can start seeing 2 new titles each year then I know where the majority of my pinball dollars are likely going in the future. Toss on that that the price point/bang for the buck is loads better than any other 6k game out there(and the possibility of a kit for 60%?; that is a bargin if you are space challenged and like to have more games).
I highly suggest that anyone thinking of where you are spending your money to go put some time on FullT now and see what you really think.
If anyone is ever in the Madison area (or coming to MGC since Madison Pinball is taking the game there to share) wants to see under the hood at how well designed and beautiful the game is then let me know. Assuming I am available I would be happy to meet you and give you a tour. The quality is so good it desrves to be shown off!

All true and well spoken.

#5025 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Ah cheers for that. I'd not heard the pf and plastics would be different, please can someone from HP confirm?

As far as I know there is no difference in playfield\plastic art between standard or LE models. Only the side art and backglass art is different between those models.

1 week later
#5149 2 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

This was shown at TPF tonight during the Alien presentation by Heighway Pinball!
It grabs & locks the ball!!

5c76ed1941739407e63253d483f60744ecdc3400.jpeg_(resized).jpg

That looks f#@c!n awesome.

#5183 2 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Better angle

image_(resized).jpeg

Yeeeaahh this pin is going to be I think Heighway is going to lift the bar again.
Good times for pinball

#5190 2 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

cant wait for my full throttle , now seeing this makes the wait even worse !

You will not be dissapointed

1 week later
#5262 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

http://gamingshogun.com/2016/03/29/fox-announces-april-26-alien-day/
Additional global ALIEN DAY partners include:
Not Heighway
Come on Fox...

Indeed, very weird.

Let's twitter @Fox#AlienDay426 and find out what's is going on!

3 weeks later
#5427 2 years ago

To give you all an update - we have submitted a gameplay video to FOX for release on Alien Day.
I must emphasise that timings are tight and that there's every chance it won't be approved in time. But there's also a chance that it will.
If it's not approved for Alien Day then hopefully it will be approved soon after.
We will keep you all updated

Looking forward to this.

Andrew, does the video include a fully populated playfield?

#5510 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

However, we have David Thiel and his compositions for our game are fantastic. He captures the atmosphere of both films perfectly. And there's no one more picky about music in pinball than me.

Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

David Thiel is composing most of the original music for our game. There is a possibility that some of the original music may be used.

That is enough for me to be convinced the music part is in very good hands I have seen David's presentation for The Hobbit and other videos about him that are available on the net. He is at the top of integrating and composing music for games.

#5580 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh, sorry. I'm really not even reading Pinside now, just needed a break, for a lot of reasons. I'm not even playing much pinball these days, been really enjoying Street Fighter V. And you know me and not being able to leave things alone, I'm in the middle of customizing my 3rd fight stick already. I unwind from stress and creative blocks for work by doing these projects, if it's not pinball it's something else I'm involved in.
Decided to check in tonight though, been visiting a little bit the past couple days, wanted to read about Ghostbusters impressions. I have a couple good friends getting Premiums, curious to play it myself.
So don't think I've died!
--
Here's the reality though, as far as me not wanting to leave people hanging. Because I'm not trying to vanish on you. But real talk, the game is in Wales. I see video of it all the time, but I'm in no position to tell you anything about it really. The parts I know I'm not allowed to even talk about. Fox has to approve things. I don't know that we'll be able to show anything until this game is done. Like it's normally done. At some point I'm sure Andrew will sort it out one way or another and let people know.
That's a situation where I don't want to be a spokesperson, you need to get things from Andrew. I know the US side, the Wales side, where the actual game lives, is outside my domain. So really, I'm saying that I can't be open like I'd like to be, and it's best that I just not comment much anymore on the game.
I talk with the US Alien team basically 7 days a week. We have such a great team. I want to tell you that working with them is a pleasure.
So here's what I can tell you:
--
The programmers are great. Brian really cares about the big picture and inner workings of the game. He's working on a lot of low level improvements that will give us much more expressive use of graphics and lighting for instance. Which we intend to take advantage of.
Joe is really steering the ship when it comes to the rules now, and he's doing a great job. Everyone has input, in the US and Wales, and he (and Brian) really filter the ideas in a serious way. Which is great, I post crazy rule ideas late at night all the time, and thankfully their filter is really good. But beyond respecting everyone else's thoughts, I'm seeing the rules start to crystalize into something with a big picture structure with his touch, he has good ideas, and they're measured and thought through into that big picture. He wants things to be fun to do, and fun to score.
This is a mode based game. With real modes, not just shoot all the blue arrows, now shoot all the red arrows, now shoot all the green arrows, or whatever. Every mode has it's own feel, with broader strategies about collecting things and incentives to actually try and finish the modes. It feels like that 90s style mode play, married to modern thoughts on pinball rules, and of course we have LCD screens and RGB lights etc. Plus 4 flippers, with dedicated shots for all of them.
Not to mention at least 6 multiballs I think. There's a lot to do outside of modes, and the game isn't about crazy stacking. The modes for Alien play differently than the modes for Aliens. There will be a lot of ways to play it.
But basically the goal is to immerse you in the movies. One mode we're working on right now is based around a set of callouts, we really wanted to get the whole speech in there, and let the rhythms of that direct the flow of the rules. It's going to get people hype when they play it. I love that so much.
And that was David Thiel's idea. Just one of the many excellent ways he attends to the details. You want to know why some games sound amazing and some get old? Because the good games not only have good sounds, balanced and clear etc, but they also programmed them smartly. He's always conscious of the flow of the sounds in the game, and how to keep the listener entertained and informed. Make sure sounds don't repeat weirdly, and there are easter egg callouts, etc.
And that's just his sound design side, he's also a great composer, the original songs he's doing for the game are awesome. They feel like Alien songs in spirit, intense and eerie, but they're better to play pinball to.
And all the sounds are being synched to the animations, so everything will feel like it works together. Kelly is doing the most grimey edits and animations for this. It's like high resolution clips from the films have been sucked inside the world of MU/TH/UR. Where everything is is a little analog and dirty. And then spit back out into HD, with our HUD rendered around it with the vital info.
That I can speak about, and I think it's all going great. 8 modes, 2 mini wizard modes, 4 big multiballs, and the wizard mode, plus all the out of mode things to do and collect. All I can say is there is legit, solid progress on the code and animation and sounds towards all of that.
I'm going to sign back off. I'll try and not let 2 months go by before I look again.
Anything else, you gotta ask Andrew.

Thanks, great updates and insight in the current status and progress being made.

I think this great update produces some new pre-orders

#5596 2 years ago

Please start a thread about virtual Pinball. It is getting annoying!

#5600 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

100% this is going to be a ridiculous machine!!!

I second that! I not only have a feeling about that

This pin is going to be beyond
cooltext181462036713536_(resized).png

#5605 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I just hope my order was early enough (10/23/14) to be one of the first to get it. I don't think I can take watching others playing it and going without!
The sci-fi in my DNA would probably explode....

I think it will do anyway

Ready yourself for a great journey

#5614 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Oops, Sorry, I forgot to upload this / misplaced it for a while until today...
FREEPLAY FLORIDA 2015 ALIENS / HEIGHWAY PRESENTATION...
» YouTube video

Thanks for posting. Very cool video.

#5652 2 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

So I wonder why something as insignificant to a licensor as a pinball machine can take so long..

I think because Predator has done a lot of damage here, but more importantly Fox had always stated that when anything goes public it must be the finished product. So, anytime Heighway wants to show the progress they make they have to get an approval from Fox.

Quoted from thewool:

Amazing all of the licenced Alien(s) tat that is out there and approval for one video takes so long. Hope it's worth it.

It will be

#5655 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

As Aurich hinted at in his last post, and I hinted at before, these videos have a short shelf life. By this point the video (from production / shooting) date is already 3 weeks old. If there was a hold up in approval, they probably won't bother showing it now as the machine has likely come on a lot since then. Maybe it still gets shown, but it will be out of date.

I have to disagree on this. Most people want to see the game evolve. If 'old' material is shown that people haven't seen that is always appreciated I think.

And I don't think the game will change from black to white in a few weeks. So this video will be important to show!

It is a video of the prototype. Until now we only have seen a video of the Whitewood. I think people love to see how the game has changed in the meantime. Age of the video is not relevant.

#5665 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

What you're failing to consider is that Heighway may feel that it's more than just progression, but improvement. If they feel the game now is objectively better than it was several weeks ago, not just further along, they may not want to show the 'old' stuff, and Fox may feel the same way.

Really? And go to the approval process again? Making potential customers wait longer. I don't think so.

This video will got to bring back the enthusiasm for Alien. I cannot think of one reason Heighway doesn't want to show this video.

#5667 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Could you guys stop talking about fox and video licensing and please get back on-topic? It's get annoying already!

Please enlighten us

#5669 2 years ago

Yes, that was obvious no need to explain

Hope Fox will approve the video soon so we can talk about the pin again.

#5789 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The pod caster is banned by Pinside and the mods don't want any links posted to his podcast. But the episode is titled, "Alien done in August?"

Ehh, no thanks. He has been banned for a reason.

#5830 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Has anyones boss received an email from Aurich lately?
I think that is how he is posting new info. He is researching how to get in contact with people's bosses and emailing them... Probably just for updates... Or you know, whatever.

Why the f#€@ do you even think this does add anything to this thread? Please leave this kind of nonsense out of official threads and take it to the basement. Or even better do not post it at all. Thank you!

#5847 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

hahahaha..... so much drama for all you kaneda disciples.... it's a pity you all cannot have some fun while the wait.... seriously, what harm can do? Just don't check the thread until august if you are a sad grumpy person..... or maybe you can cry to the mods...... come on people, cheer up a bit!

Nothing to do with cheering up or having 'fun'. This is the official thread from the manufacturer, the bullshit that is now in it does not belong here. It is called: show some respect. But some people just don't get that.

#6019 2 years ago

Sad, just sad. And the saddest thing of all is there is no mod to be seen to stop this nonsense. So Pinside rules have not much meaning anymore.

#6037 2 years ago

Pinside_(resized).PNG

So you can make more than 30 off topic posts, derail a thread and the penalty is a temporary 1 day thread eject cause of over-bumping????? So that is what Pinside is all about. Good to know!

#6039 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Its a judgment call by the moderator and I for one agree with him. Jeffspinballpalace is a good Pinsider and he got a little carried away is all. And I thought Jeff was amusing... Imposing a Kaneda death penalty would have been extreme.

I am imposing nothing and certainly not wishing what you suggested. It was a statement in general (not directed at Jeff) because this kind of behavior is tolerated in other threads too.

But fair enough, must be me having a bad day.

#6053 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The playfield artwork at the APC targets specifically says "Drops Light Locks", so who knows if that has changed yet. However after playing Full Throttle, I really liked the RGB LED standup targets. Nobody else is doing that. It makes for a cool look & can easily convey which targets need to be hit. But there are APC LED inserts on the playfield, so it looks like drop targets have been the goal all along.
Drop targets or RGB LED standups..... both are pretty cool if you ask me

I think they will go for drop targets (supported by led lighting -> see 2 big white circles. Could be for leds). It also looks that the targets are used for more than one purpose

5b400e073af4913797bd13384ef1d9ed6aa1c053_(resized).jpg

#6060 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

...looked like the guy playing was literally going to die or something.

#6063 2 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I hereby confess my sins.
My post on the last page was a devious attempt to lure out some new info and try to get this thread back on track.
Great posts, Aurich, MK6PIN and PinballRulez. Thanks for the info

More info to come..........stay tuned

#6066 2 years ago

So yes, I have seen the video too. I try to address everything I can recall in detail here. As I cannot write it down all at once here is a start. Enjoy

After pressing the start button the games starts up. On the background you hear the roll of drums and the screen presents you the option to choose between the ‘Alien’ or ‘Aliens’ story. The footage presented on the screen has a distortion in it that really helps to set the atmosphere together with the sound, giving you already a feeling this is going to be a tense and exciting journey.

The layout of the dashboard looks real cool and fits in very well with the theme. As been hinted before I think, it has some resemblance with the MU/TH/UR 6000 interface. However, the dashboard in the pin is full color instead of monochrome. Film footage is being displayed when selecting between ‘Alien’ and ‘Aliens’. As for what I can remember the footage shown on the playfield screen is the same as shown on the large screen.

When you have made your choice a call out is made: ‘Let’s go, move it on’ (really gives you the feeling of: 'Oke, I am part of the team. What are we going to do) and the ball is travelling through the shooter lane to drop via one of the top lanes into the pop bumpers. The pop bumpers represent the eggs as being seen in the Alien movies and are colored light and dark green. The leds in the pop bumpers create a cool effect and when the ball hits a pop bumper this is accompanied with a nice sound effect.

The ball then travels down to one of the flippers and there you can see the facehuggers on the sling shots. Like Aurich has said they look very detailed already and are going to move just like the boogie men in Scared Stiff.

The game looks overall dark, but that is a good thing as it adds a lot to the dark scary tense atmosphere. The color scheme of the inserts are chosen very well and the translucent inserts above the flippers are a cool feature.

The ramps have a milky frame on top of them. I think it is there to react to UV light. Some ramps also have a decal on them and I think it does represent the corridors as seen in the movies.

Ingame the dashboard shows all the info you need to have, not more and that creates a really good balance. Some font colors and animation use luminous colors that fit in very well.

The Xenomorph head looks A-W-E-S-O-M-E. There is so much detail in it. You almost think she is going to spill her slime on the playfield ‘-)

While the ball is being played the sound of the roll of drums and I think a horn can be heard and the atmosphere is getting even tenser.

And then……the ball is shot into the airlock eject and the ‘Acid Burn’ mode is started……

[ End of part 1 ]

Part 2 can be found here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/124#post-3161487

#6074 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

What do yall remember about the callouts? Did you hear any actors voices?

Sounds to me as they came directly from the movies.

#6076 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Speaking of the alien queen head Im not being critical since the model looks awsome, but doesnt the queen have a big flanged head, the model looks like a regular xenomorph where as the shot map calls it the queen. Just curious

The head shown is not from the Queen. She comes to the left of the Xenomorph head I believe as shown on the playfield layout drawing.

#6195 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Alien should be worthy of buying just for the David Thiel soundtrack alone.
You have an amazing track record of making great pinball music ... Long may it continue!
rd

The sound on Alien is beyond awesome. I will give it a try to describe it in part 2 of my prototype video review, but I am afraid I won't do it justice David is an exceptional talent. Very glad Heighway got him on board.

#6197 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Would a silent whitewood video, with no sculptures or video be possible to be shown.

There are 2 whitewood videos available, but one of them is more than a year old:

I think they switched relatively fast from whitewood to a prototype build so I am not sure if more whitewood videos exist. If they did, I probably think Andrew would have shown them here.

#6198 2 years ago

So I see the party is still going strong here Time for part 2 of the prototype video review. Hope you enjoy it

If you missed part 1 you can find it here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/122#post-3159966

The Acid Burn mode is started.

The Acid Burn aniamation is also accompanied by an intense sound. It is hard to describe but for reference what to expect this is the closest thing I could find:

Listen to this from beginning to 1:30. This kind of music was in the pin but even more intense! To get an impression how intense listen to this:
and go to 0:53 – 1:15 Cinematic Loop 1

A call out is made: ‘I think it is going to eat through the goddamn hull. Come on'. I did search for the quote on the net but it doesn’t come near the intensity as used in the pin. I think David has run the quotes and music through his ‘spice it up’ module to make the call outs and sounds sound awesome.

A cartoon like picture is shown and green luminous letters are shown with the text ‘Acid Burn’. When looking at the Internet I came across this article: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Xenomorph_blood and the picture in the top right of the text area gives you an impression what is used in the clip. When the mode starts all GI and some inserts lights are turned very bright and this also gives a very cool effect on the ramps.

During the Acid Burn mode also the APC targets are shot. For every letter shot an animation is shown were the APC vehicle http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/M577_Armored_Personnel_Carrier is driving from the screen towards you accompanied by an animation of the letter you just shot. During the mode a kind of twilight zone riff is being played through the music that really adds something to the atmosphere.

And then………Queen's nest mode!

This mode is shown from the big screen and from what I noted the Alien word on the screen bezel is placed really well. It makes it part of the total dashboard and that is way cool. You see an animation of the queen and eggs coming out. You hear the sound of violins like in horror movies. The beacon lights are on. They turn heavily and an orange light wave is pushed into the room, together with the sound and animations it is something I have never ever seen on any pin to date. It is like you are sucked into this story, you are a marine, chaos is coming…..AAAHHHHHH. I think in this mode you have to burn eggs cause also animations are shown with fire and the sound of eggs being destroyed. This mode is I-N-T-E-N-S-E. I think people will walk out of the room, children will be evacuated……you will be on your own! The animations of the Queen are awesome. A quote is made: ‘C'mon let's go, pull back’ The sound gets even more intense and you see an Alien being on fire and her body parts being ripped off by the fire. And then…..the ball is lost. ‘That is it man, Game over man, it’s Game over!'

#6209 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Do the two screens always project the same video, or can they mix it up?

In the prototype they are mirrored. I believe Heighway stated that a separate feed for the screens is on their list but probably will not be implemented in Alien. But as with all things, this might be subject to change

#6211 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I hope they mix it up.....

It would be way cool if they could integrate the motion tracker on the playfield screen.

#6213 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I should have specified that....because that's what I'm picturing....how effing bad ass would that be? Picture the whole game going dark (very low lit)...and just the motion tracker going.....you got to hit the ball...where the motion tracker pings.....or something like that.....
» YouTube video

However, I think the motion tracker is already ON the playfield. I think that is the reason they have used translucent inserts on the lower playfield part were the modes are defined.

58a4407b53c4cd32c1494f19226ff752f47e4600_(resized).jpg

#6215 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I saw that on the lower playfield, but hope it gets some "air time" on the LCD too. I'm okay if they over use it...lol. I was just on Heighway's webite...I know this has obviously been out for awhile...but this game is getting more and more intriguing to me
Black Gloss Cabinet Finish, with Bright Lime Green Powder Coated Metal Trim (including legs)
◾Pinball Topper With Yellow Beacons
◾Exclusive ’35th Anniversary Edition’ Backglass And Sideart (+ Standard Edition Artwork Package Also Included)
◾’35th Anniversary Edition’ Game Plaque With Allocated Number (from 001-500)
◾Fibre Optic Ramp Lighting
◾Shaker Motor
◾Exclusive ’35th Anniversary Edition’ Alien Pinball Goodie Bag, With Magnets, T-Shirts, Posters, Badges + Much More!

Yes. Just go for it

#6216 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I saw that on the lower playfield, but hope it gets some "air time" on the LCD too. I'm okay if they over use it...lol.

Agreed. I think it might be that the LCD is used to complement the part that is on the playfield to make a very cool motion tracker

As for what I have seen, I am assured Heighway finds a great way to make this work in the best possible way.

#6224 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Doesn't look like there are many ramps, I'm probably missing something. Can anyone advise, who's seen?

I believe you can use this as a reference for the number of ramps:

20150803_Alien_showmap_436179_(resized).jpg

#6225 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

...there are out of mode things to do.....,

From what I noted symbols were being displayed on the dashboard. Looks like you have to collect something. Can you tell what this is about?

#6246 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not sure what you saw, I'd have to go back and look at the video, but there are a couple things you can collect. The main one and the only one I can think of that might have been in the video is weapons. There are more than one way to collect them, I think finishing modes awards them, and you also get them from hitting the 5 weapon standups. Let's see, it's pistol (Vasquez), shotgun (Hicks), flamethrower, pulse rifle, and smart gun off the top of my head.
I'm not 100% sure on the rules for them after collected right now, so I don't want to speculate on what they're good for yet, but collecting them is useful.
Not exactly "collecting" but sort of is the Lifecycle shots, where you can advance from egg, to facehugger, to chestburster, to xeno.
I think we're tracking ammo that you collect for Sentry Gun multiball too. This is all part of one of my next projects, helping finalize the UI for the dashboard for this stuff, so it will crystalize more over the coming weeks.

Thanks. Cool to know

What I also can noted is the word 'Scream' on the insert (located just on the left bottom side of the left flipper) in the left ball return lane.

Can you tell what that insert is related to?

#6250 2 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

It is paired with another that says 'again'. I guess it's just this game's version of the 'shoot again' ball save indicator, which of course is a reference to the classic marketing line for the first film

Yes, that must be it. I couldn't see the other insert in the video

#6251 2 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Looking at the latest CAD drawing from earlier in the year I can't see how any other shots could fit in this game! The upper orbit already looks too tight. There must have been some fairly major development since then. Can't wait to see it!
I agree with the suggestion that even an updated wireframe with shot map descriptions (like the one that was released in August last year) would be awesome to see. It avoids licensing issues and gives us plenty of positive things to talk and speculate about.

The reverse wireform ramp (L - in the playfield drawing) was not in de prototype video. Instead there is plastic ramp, with the milky frame on top as mentioned before, that connects to the large ramp (F - in the playfield drawing).

Looking at the playfield drawing I think the ramp connects around point H on the drawing.

For uniformity and the look I find the current plastic ramp construction way cooler than a separate wire form ramp.

64bb3abedf1c92c15c2fef3863fc68c8c73eee96_(resized).jpg

#6275 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have the CAD mostly ready, I just want a chance to run it by Dave before I post it, make sure he agrees with the labels I put on it, or see if he wants to add some.
In the meantime, I started writing a post in my red DMD thread about Alien using an LCD screen, and decided to skip posting it there. I didn't bother to edit it, so it might read a little funny for this thread where you know a lot of this already. But it was kinda fun to write, and it might contain new info, I honestly can't remember, so rather than delete it I'm posting here.
--
Warning for thin skinned people, I'm about to talk about Alien and my own opinions, and mentioning a product a competitor uses, could be construed as marketing or being an egomaniac, skip if you can't handle it:
Why Alien is a better game for having an LCD (or two)
One area I really feel like Alien is going to shine, if I can toot our own horn, in is the atmosphere of the films. Part of that is the killer sound work David Thiel is doing. He's really doing some nice work, and he gets all the details right. And part of that is what we can do with the LCD screen, and what our animator, Kelly, is cooking up.
What's scarier when you fail exploring the tunnels as Dallas in his mode: A cartoon red xeno popping up, a smeary blob of red movie clip, or full HD of the xeno revealed, hissing in a strobe light? It's fast and effective, we overlay things like animated text and icons over it, it's still paced like a DMD. You're not watching a movie, you're not watching raw movie clips, or long sequences. It's all hand edited, quick, to the point. But you can really see everything.
When the egg opens up because Kane touches it, it's just an amazing shot in the film. The four quadrants splitting and peeling back? Love it. Definitely part of the animations on the game, and wouldn't be the same as red dots. And again, it's quick, it's edited into a sequence, it's not a bunch of talking heads. But you can really see the egg, it's not a pixel cartoon.
It just makes things so much more immersive, I think. At the end of the queen's nest mode, where you're burning the eggs, the whole screen is just on fire. We're going to be synching the color screen in the playfield to the RGB GI, so they work together to project the mood and information. This isn't like colorizing an old game that started monochromatic, it's developing with color from the start, and it really opens up so many more possibilities with integration.
There's a multiball where the whole screen turns into the Aliens motion tracker. It's hopefully going to feel like you're using the prop from the film, Kelly is baking in some really nice analog effects. Alien's universe is dirty, and used, and analog. The screen is going to reflect that. We couldn't do subtle things like that without HD and color.
We can turn the screen black with green text for Mother, with CRT scanlines etc. We can show you your score, score/status for players 2-4, your ball number, extra balls, credit/freeplay at all times. Or go full screen animation for events like the start of a mode, where the ball is held in the saucer. We're doing the motion tracker from the first film too for the scene with Dallas in the tunnels, we're doing the interface from the sentry guns for their multiball, all yellow and black, it's cool to be able to change the whole screen UI to match the films. I think that's an extra step into the immersion of the theme while you play.
Part of the gameplay involves collecting weapons that you can use later with the launch button, ala Troll Bombs and the like. There are 5 weapons, it's more strategic and complicated than Troll Bombs because they're all different. An HD display makes it easy to display things like which weapon you have active clearly. The display isn't just window dressing, things like that change rules, they affect the gameplay.

Ooww, yes! I have seen the prototype video but it seems that things keep getting better and better

My enthusiasm meter is almost going off the scale
happiness-meter_(resized).jpg

#6281 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, as promised, here's an updated CAD file. I tried to put in some labels just to give it context. I am not an expert on the physical layout, since I have yet to see the game in person, I'll answer what questions I can.
The new shot Dave added that I was talking about is on the right. Vent 2 used to just return to the flipper lane. Now instead it feeds back out to the right flipper. Sort of a cross between the mini loop shot on Full Throttle and the flipper return on Indiana Jones I think.
The ball now launches up a wireform, sort of like Shadow is how I think of it, again haven't seen it. I think those are the obvious changes. The LCD screen is for illustrative purposes only, but shows how the motion tracker interface might look during one of the multiballs.
I left the slingshot plastics in, that should give you a rough idea for the facehugger mounting.
The Pinside preview gets compressed, click to enlarge and see it larger with no compression artifacts.

I love how this pin implements unique shots for all four flippers. Cannot wait to play this pin.

#6282 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, as promised, here's an updated CAD file. I tried to put in some labels just to give it context. I am not an expert on the physical layout, since I have yet to see the game in person, I'll answer what questions I can.
The new shot Dave added that I was talking about is on the right. Vent 2 used to just return to the flipper lane. Now instead it feeds back out to the right flipper. Sort of a cross between the mini loop shot on Full Throttle and the flipper return on Indiana Jones I think.
The ball now launches up a wireform, sort of like Shadow is how I think of it, again haven't seen it. I think those are the obvious changes. The LCD screen is for illustrative purposes only, but shows how the motion tracker interface might look during one of the multiballs.
I left the slingshot plastics in, that should give you a rough idea for the facehugger mounting.
The Pinside preview gets compressed, click to enlarge and see it larger with no compression artifacts.

Is the Hypersleep ball lock a physical lock?

#6283 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What happened to the mechanism in the bottom left area that used to be under the space jockey outlanes and were the botton part of that mechanism fell a bit under the apron?

#6362 2 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

A bit easier on the eyes

Dankjewel

#6366 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The platforms running down the left and right edges of the playfield.

Hi Dave, can you say something about why the ramps have a milky looking edge above them. Is that to create a reaction to UV light?

#6368 2 years ago

a center post? does it mean the flipper gap will be wider like on GB?

Here you go

Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The centre mini-post is a deliberate design choice. The flipper gap isn't any wider than standard, but there's a lot of lateral movement on this game which means more outlane drain potential. The post balances things pretty well, and you can't knock the satisfaction of a successful save with it.

#6374 2 years ago

I was getting a question about the Alien rules from a fellow Pinsider that is very enthusiastic about Alien. So I tried to consolidate all the info I could find about the rules. So here it is

Introduction

(Info gathered from posts of Aurich and Dave on Pinside)

Programming of Alien by Brian Dominy and Joe Schober, with a lot of input from the whole group.

This is a mode based game. With real modes, not just shoot all the blue arrows, now shoot all the red arrows, now shoot all the green arrows. Every mode has its own feel, with broader strategies about collecting things and incentives to actually try and finish the modes. It feels like that 90s style mode play, married to modern thoughts on pinball rules, and of course we have LCD screens and RGB lights etc. Plus 4 flippers, with dedicated shots for all of them.

Not to mention at least 6 multiballs. There's a lot to do outside of modes, and the game isn't about crazy stacking. The modes for Alien play differently than the modes for Aliens. There will be a lot of ways to play it. Every single mode is an iconic scene from the films. Even the cat is in there! Jones gets his own mode. But basically the goal is to immerse you in the movies.

Both motion trackers from both films will be featured on the playfield LCD screen. The one from Alien is used in more of a tense/eerie mode, focusing on Dallas in the tunnels trying to find the Xeno. The one from Aliens is more balls out and frantic.

The game will have toys for all the iconic Alien stuff. Eggs, facehuggers, a big Xeno with a bad ass magnetic tongue, the queen herself, and the chestburster will even be part of it with the controlled drop target. There's a physical ball lock for the hypersleep chamber. You can get the rotating beacons on top. For the LE and the upgrades we'll have fiber optic lights.

The Xeno head model that sits around the mech is the same size one that's been shown before, and yes, it will 'eat' the ball. What you don't see yet on the CAD is the mini-subway that will take the ball behind the backboard, to be ejected back into play onto the upper corner of the right platform, to drop onto the end of the habitrail and down to the return. In front of the backboard re-entry is where the Space Jockey will stand as a large upright plastic, so it should look like the ball is emerging from behind his turret. The LV-426 area is also the most natural place for him to be.

The Hypersleep chamber is a physical three-ball lock, the 'fourth' ball drawn on the CAD is a visual indicator of how the dispenser works, dropping the foremost ball onto the level below while holding the others back.

We're going to blow up the playfield at least twice if you look at the wizard modes, and you know everything including all the RGB lighting is going to go nuts for that. Oh yeah, and the LCD screen embedded in the playfield. The pace of the animations is going to be fast, the game will keep moving. No sitting there watching something play out for 20 seconds or anything. This isn't watching TV, it's playing pinball. I'm really thinking about the display like a high rez DMD. Show the score, show objectives, play cool animations to reward you for shots, and no sitting around. The approach for the dashboard on Alien is really more about keeping the data we display really encapsulated and contextually relevant. Keep it in the spirit of a DMD, in how and what it displays, but with all the advantages of an HD display, for high resolution art, numbers and text, and of course video. And that means both in the backbox (small or big or not at all, your choice) but also the playfield. And it has to work for both.

There are 5 weapons to collect, each with their own animation, representing all the important guns of the game. There are more than one way to collect them, I think finishing modes awards them, and you also get them from hitting the 5 weapon standups. Let's see, it's pistol (Vasquez), shotgun (Hicks), flamethrower, pulse rifle, and smart gun off the top of my head.

David Thiel is doing the sound design side, he's also a great composer, the original songs he's doing for the game are awesome. They feel like Alien songs in spirit, intense and eerie, but they're better to play pinball to.

And all the sounds are being synched to the animations, so everything will feel like it works together. Kelly is doing the most grimey edits and animations for this. It's like high resolution clips from the films have been sucked inside the world of MU/TH/UR. Where everything is a little analog and dirty. And then spit back out into HD, with our HUD rendered around it with the vital info.

Modes

As known for now there are:
- 4 modes for Alien
- 4 modes for Aliens
- 1 mini wizard mode for Alien (mutliballs in this mode)
- 1 mini wizard mode for Aliens (multiballs in this mode)
- 4 big multiball modes
- 1 Wizard mode

R4_(resized).jpg

So moving on, let's take a look at the mode inserts.
As was correctly guessed earlier there are 3 branches, all laid out with the motion tracker layout. We're going to use the RGB LEDs to do a blue "pulse" through the inserts to simulate the tracking, maybe just for the attract mode or something, should be cool looking. Each branch has 4 modes or multiballs, and then a wizard mode.

At the start of the game you pick your film, Alien or Aliens. You're then locked into that film until you finish it. Each film has four main modes, and then a mini-wizard mode. You need to finish the 4 modes for that film (just start them, not complete) and the wizard mode before you can move on to the other film. This then opens up the film you didn't choose. So you can start with Alien, and then try and beat Aliens on the same game. All of the modes are based on parts of the stories. Each one will have video clips and lighting and sounds and rules to capture the feel of that part of the story. I think the pops randomize the next mode, you don't pick like in Stern Star Trek once you've picked your film.

There are also things to play outside of the modes. The Chest Burster controlled drop target / magnet combo for instance, not a mode, can be played during either film path. The APC drop targets on the right are like an old school Bally, you have to hit them in order to get the better reward. There are definitely a lot of cool combo shots. Some things will stack, but this isn't a big stacking game, the modes are about atmosphere and the film, so they won't all jumble together. The Weyland Yutani inserts are the inlanes, and you need to light both to qualify the mode shot.

Color is definitely going to matter too, it's not just window dressing. Modes use color in their rules. Color will matter for communicating other information on the playfield. And of course, we're going to have sweet window dressing.

Generally speaking that's how the modes break down in this game, Alien is a little bit more on the atmospheric side, Aliens a little bit on the faster side, as is befitting the films. We're going to try and make the scoring balanced so that there's no reason to always pick the same film first, but I'm sure someone will find a tournament strategy that maximizes points while minimizing risk, people always do.
To beat the game you have to play through both films, so for home users I don't think the order will be that important, pick based on what you feel like doing, or the opposite of what you did last time or whatever.

The mode order isn't fixed, there are out of mode things to do, and a lot of multiballs, so really at any given point in time there should be a lot to do.

Multiplier Count

R1_(resized).jpg
R2_(resized).jpg

Multiplier count in the middle of the playfield. It reads 426.
You light them with the LV lanes up at the top right of the playfield.
And the trick is it's actually 4+2+6, and it counts up by 2s to a max of 12: 2, 4, 6, 2+6, 4+6, 4+2+6

Life Cycle inserts
There are shots with Life Cycle inserts, where you can advance from egg, to facehugger, to chestburster, to xeno.

R3_(resized).jpg

The first of them is an Egg. There are two Egg inserts, at the orbits.
This of course makes sense because the pops have sculpted eggs on top of them, and there are pop up posts that can divert the ball into the pops, so the orbit shots become part of the rules with the pops.

Standup targets

They are used to collect weapons. Right now we have an idea that will use different colors as part of that.
Weapons will play a part in the rules, we have the pulse rifle, smart gun, flamethrower, Hicks' shotgun, and Vasquez's pistol. You collect them with the standup targets. Each will have an animation.

So Team Heighway.....anything to add

#6441 2 years ago

Anyway, I will be at the Rocky Mountain Show this weekend and will show the video to anyone who wants to see it.

Very curious what will be reported here by people who have also seen the video. Enjoy

#6450 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What are the dimensions of the LCD screen on the backbox? Is it classic pinball shape (like with the Big Lebowski) or a larger rectangle as in Wizard of Oz?

27" LCD (or 10,1" LCD)

#6453 2 years ago

So yesterday I watched Alien and today I have seen Aliens.

Now listen to this........ and please note that this is my personal opinion. The movies are great and both all time classics. But ................the atmosphere and tension created in the Alien Pinbal prototype video was beyond what you experience in the movies

Knowing that the movies and therefore the available material is great, the Heighway team is the A(lien)-team, and the video of the prototype is already beyond great. This pin must also become an all time classic.

Soooooo looking forward to the finished product.

#6457 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Managing expectations, eh?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh good lord.
I remembering hearing how great GB was going to be and a sure fire all time classic.

Quoted from PinballRulez:

........ and please note that this is my personal opinion

The video looks and sounds great. Nothing wrong with hoping the pin will turn out great too. Nothing set in stone yet, but for me the signs look good.

#6467 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I mean...watching a video of the prototype had more tension than watching the movies...talk aboot monkeys flying out of some ones ass.

Look at it this way. It is kind of a teaser video (professionally edited) and with that you get to see and hear a lot of things in a short amount of time. Your senses get stimulated to the max and that is what makes the prototype video so great.

#6489 2 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

The dark/black playfield is really going to suit the theme.

Ageed, the playfield almost looks like glass. Amazing.

1 week later
#6576 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What does in thread mean? There's 132 pages in this thread.

Quoted from rai:

about when are these pins shipping?

As I stated in my update, we are pushing to have the game finished mid August. Then it is submitted for approval. At the same time, we will more than likely have an official promo video submitted for approval.
The end result being that we would hope to have the finished promo video released by the end of August.

Goal is to present the complete pin end of August 2016.
Shipping of first pins could happen in October 2016?

All subject to change of course.

#6583 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks
Looking forward to seeing it, very strong design so far.

You are welcome.

Also looking very forward to the final product. Especially to the Xenomorph design. Here is the prototype

#6650 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I was planning on buying an Alien LE, but am really not a fan of the green cabinet powder coating. Is it possible to get all the LE design and features in the stock black cabinet?

Technically yes, but the cabinet and backbox art is LE specific and is not available as upgrade for a standard version.

So you can buy the standard Alien version and add the following upgrades:
- Shaker
- Fiber optic ramps
- Beacons

(p.s. maybe you can opt for Chrome armor on the LE but you have to discuss this with Heighway as I do not know if this option is available for the Alien LE version (it will be for the Full Throttle LE)

#6658 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

As far as I'm aware the playfield art on the LE is slightly different as well.

I did hear some rumours about a surprise for the LE buyers. But nothing confirmed yet by Heighway.

Most logical thing (from a production perspective) is that the LE version will get a different plastic set to match with the cabinet and backbox art.

But I don't think we will know anytime soon otherwise the surprise is spoiled

1 week later
#6705 2 years ago
Quoted from ShaneBolda:

How can you combine Alien and Aliens??? Alien is the one and only... they are 2 different films... one is a lame action egotrip remake and the other is an original horror masterpiece... the concept and art direction immediately clashes with itself :/

The 'quality' of a movie says not much about how the pin is going to look like, but........

From what I have seen, both in the 2 movies and how they are integrated in the prototype pin there is a perfect match

#6707 2 years ago

Today I spoke with Andrew and Alien also was a subject. You can immediately tell that his passion for this theme is like beyond great.

The Alien franchise is here for almost 37 years. That is amazing and there still is a large fan base. Heighway feel themselves obliged to deliver nothing but a stunning product that is worthy to be part of this great franchise. So I think we really have something going on here to look forward to.

1 week later
#6762 2 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

1. Is there a suggested MSRP for the playfield module? I see the price for the LE/Standard game, but nothing for just the swappable module.

Yes there is, 60% of the price of a standard edition full game.

Quoted from BeaglePuss:

2. Is there any difference between the standard and LE playfield, or is it just a matter of the cab being different?

Yes there is. The LE has the fiber optic ramps installed. For the SE this is an upgrade option.

Rumours are that there will be some subtile differences between the LE and SE playfield versions. Like maybe the LE gets different art on the plastics. But as said, rumours

#6782 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's not the final playfield, no, but it's relatively close.

Any LE art teasers for our fellow pre-order Pinsiders and others who are interested

#6844 2 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

» YouTube video
Alien stuff is at the end.

.......into an interactive adventure

#6888 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Okay haven't been here in a while has there been any update on when these will start shipping? Is it close or is it more realistic to assume 6 months to a year away from starting production?

Step 1 is to see the reveal of the complete pin. Scheduled for August 2016, but might be later.

I guess production will starts short after the reveal. Hopefully we are talking about months when we see the first Alien pins shipping. But nothing set in stone yet.

#6942 2 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Wonder why no-one has talked about the snippets you see of the Alien populated playfield in the new video from Heighway? (when Dave is presented) You can't see much, but it is enough to whet my appetite for the game
Video can be found in the Heighway update thread and here:
» YouTube video

Quoted from Stones:

2:12ish mark....goes by quick, but looks sweet

Yes, looks good.

You know.....Youtube has a feature were you can set the speed of the video to 0.25. And voila, the Alien world will open

2 weeks later
#7025 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That's your prerogative but it's more than just me you'd be explaining to. I'm not the only one with concerns here. And I think these unanswered questions will linger for you and create doubt. What a pity.

Let it go, you got answers. It was just not what you wanted to hear, not enough drama for you No need to keep digging for something that is not there. Heighway has proven they can produces games. And Alien will speak for itself.

#7060 1 year ago
Quoted from Sticky:

How else would you do it in a fashion that would alleviate concerns for a multitude of people? By going to his house and then skywriting the answers?

Yes, maybe out of respect it would be wise to first verify your story with the person it concerns and then go public with it. Seems like a normal procedure, gossip papers, drama seekers and respectless people are excluded from this off course

#7087 1 year ago