DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3860 8 years ago

i think it looks phenomenal. incredibly well integrated with the theme, and very handsome graphics and color scheme. See, Stern? it's really not impossible!

a lot of those inserts look great. I like how a lot of cool details are only visible on close inspection.

#3903 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

At least Star Trek looked that way for a reason...it was giving the player a HUD of being Captain Kirk.

the ST playfield (as well as GOT, which looks to me like it was done by the same person) is just awful. it's overly reliant on bevel/emboss, shadow, and other stock filters. the shapes are too large and the lines are too thick. it looks like a 2002 rave flyer made by a kid with a pirated copy of photoshop. very little detail, unless you count a stock photoshop gradient fill as detail. GOT has a lot of the same problems, with the added issue of tons of cheesy clip art of generic swords and gears. They both look terrible compared to their contemporary competitors and compared to great playfields of the past.

#3905 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Already disputed this above...not doing it again.

i don't really buy "it's a HUD" as an excuse for bad design in the first place, but also it does nothing to explain why GoT is guilty of all the same sins.

edit: sorry, Aurich, i'll stop distracting from your thread now!

edit 2: Kirk, we are in agreement that it's a great pin! the playfield art blows, though.

#3920 8 years ago

i think it is hard to really pass judgement on this until we see it with plastics and slings and ramps and pops and mechs, which will really fill it out and make it seem more dense.

#4015 8 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Both playfields look amateurish compared to jjp and stern offerings.

you cannot possibly be serious.

#4040 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I am not keeping up on things much in this thread. I basically skipped to the end to comment on the playfield images I just saw.
But the art on alien is horrible. It looks like an old sega game. Maybe id4 or xfiles. I understand these start up pinball companies don't have good budgets but they should probably at least hire an art guy to help them out. I am artistically retarded and I think I could do better with photoshop and some internet images. Wow.

What a transparently disingenuous comment.

#4071 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

People were critical of the rob zombie playfield and got; both of which look way better then this artwork; which just looks well not that inspiring at all

Game of thrones looks better than this? Get your eyes checked, that is an absurd statement.

#4102 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

The pinside design-by-committee pitchfork mob has fully ramped up again. Just like with Every. Other. Release. The Hobbit set a terrible precident in that it empowered the foot stomping handful of people here that they can affect change (it also did some good in that case, but the fallout is this). Now, when every new pin is announced this same exact dance happens. The foot stompers rush to lock in on some detail and start whipping themselves into a frenzy that it *has* to be changed. This seems to be driven - consciously or subconsciously - by the desire to insert themselves into the design process and nothing more. Pinsiders confused that the reality is their knee jerk reaction to art is not some universal truth....just their opinion. I also have to say it was disheartening to watch Aurich lead the charge in the for RZ as he is normally a calm voice of reason here.....because the same reaction to Alien was also inevitable. I am a lifelong fan of Alien and can think of 50 totally different directions the play field could have gone in.....of course, those seem more interesting to me but I am not making the pinball. I didn't start with a blank page and create something that needed to adhere to and accommodate more people than just me. The play field is just fine and will work great with the rest of the game....plastics, you'd, video, lighting. I am focusing on how awesome pinball is right now because of companies and pins like this....relish in being on a forum where you see things first and interact directly with pinball companies. If you want to design a pinball, the go do that too! Seriously, that would be a much better and positive use of energy. Also - you will pry that Nostromo patch element from my cold, dead hands. It is what it is people.....deal.

yeah i get where you are coming from, and agree that Pinside Mob Mentality should absolutely not rule when it comes to designing pins. Committees are rarely an asset to creative or artistic endeavors, especially committees with fleeting knowledge of important contextual details such as license requirements, game rules, other features and playfield elements, etc. (and of course being an enthusiastic pinball collector does not necessarily translate to being a good pinball designer).

However, I think there are several factors that complicate the issue:

1. JJP's Hobbit playfield was significantly improved as a result of Pinside's input. i agree it sets a bad precedent, but the short term effect did end up being positive for that game, both artistically and from a PR standpoint. keep that in mind.

2. Game of Thrones playfield really is objectively awful from a design perspective. The outcry was entirely justified there. Also, Stern didn't noticeably change the art for that game. They probably couldn't have even if they'd wanted to -- they were no doubt much further along in the process than JJP was. Anyway, hopefully, the criticism does have an impact and lead to better efforts in the future from Stern. (not hating on Stern - i think they build fantastic pinball machines)

3. I think there is an element of "revenge" going on here from a couple of posters (not all of course!). There's a poster or two who couldn't wait to give Aurich a taste of what they feel he's been dishing out. (personally i've always thought Aurich's design critiques were on point and well-intentioned, but that is not a universal opinion).

So anyway, we have reached a point now where every art reveal is accompanied by an avalanche of criticism, which has an undercurrent now of expectation that their criticisms will be acted upon in the final product. I don't know how you backtrack from that precedent, unless you start doing things the Stern way, and not revealing artwork until everything is nearly ready to go out the door. Unfortunately, I think Stern is the only company that can afford to do things that way, so the status quo is probably something the smaller game makers are just going to have to navigate as best they can.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.