• 24,461 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by delt31
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nwpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7045 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In my opinion, Alien will be successfully made and delivered. It's the long term viability of the company that should concern people.
And you can spin the word "Dissolved" any way you like. Look at the facts. He has a business record of 100% dissolved business.

That's my record with all my past businesses as well. Each time I moved on to start something else or work another job, I dissolved them. What have you done with your past businesses when you've been ready to move onto something else?

1 month later
#7961 2 years ago

Doctor Who doesn't have a traditional plunger, skill shot is from the right flipper after the ball drops, it's never bothered me at all.

1 week later
#8590 2 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Hopefully totally unsuitable.

Ha! (And yes!)

2 months later
#9895 2 years ago

I think the pinball community has always been pretty traditionalist and resistant to change in design and play. It's like we want more depth and innovation, but not too much or we freak out. That's why there was resistance to Pin2K, there is resistance to Heighway's cabs, resistance to Jersey Jack's pins and why Dialed In has a bunch of people annoyed. Personally, I think it's all great, I love people pushing the envelope and embracing technology, new ways of doing things, and keeping things interesting and exciting in this hobby.

3 weeks later
#10379 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Personally I think the SE's en LE's will ship before the kits will. Especially with the knowledge that a lot of Full Throttle owners will need a new CPU to support the Alien kit.

Realistically, it's only going to take a few minutes to swap out the CPU. I installed the full Bride 2.0 kit, which included yanking boards, adding wiring, swapping speakers and the whole display panel and installing a CPU in under an hour, taking my time.

1 week later
#10520 2 years ago

Patience grasshopper. They are almost done.

#10623 2 years ago

Looks fantastic! I like the peek around the whole warehouse and production factory, seeing the part making equipment and massive supply of parts, cabinets, the line, etc. shows how legit this set up and game production is.

1 week later
#10971 2 years ago

Awesome! (And hoping we can figure out how to get one for the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show this June)

#11016 2 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

Nitro brought full throttle last year, so if be shocked if they didn't bring alien this year. Or just drive up to there show room and play it when they get their floor model in!

Yep, Nitro has already signed on again to be a sponsor and have a booth, so it looks promising that could indeed be the case.

1 week later
#11261 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Glad you guys hugged it out. OH - have I mentioned I'm STOKED to play Alien at TP? I am!!!

Face hugged it out...

1 week later
#11540 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Show
Me
The
L
E
!
When is the art going to be revealed?

I'm pretty sure they are withholding showing the artwork just to torture you and not because of needing final approval from Fox

#11651 2 years ago

Agreed, I love games that give you shit, it makes you want to immediately play another game.

#11872 2 years ago

\m/

2 weeks later
#12395 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Hi Andrew, I was seriously looking at one of these, however it really was bothering me that they are trickling out and taking so long. Does it bother anyone else sitting on the fence? Andrew can you let me know if your company is strong and viable enough to get all ordered machines out in a timely fashion? Not looking to read your financials had the pleasure, Cough Cough, of reading Zidwares' however been stung so many times I would at least like your honest synopsis of the situation and a rough time line to delivery if ordered today. Cheers and keep up the good work, the machine is looking great!

I don't think they've actually begun shipping production games yet. The couple that shipped out early were prototypes and then they've sold the games they've had shipped to shows at the actual show (which is common practice so you don't have to pay to ship games back). If there is one thing all pin manufacturers should have learned by now, that's not to predict a delivery date before they are actually shipping production games, when they have a better idea for how fast they can produce and ship games. I think if I were concerned, I'd wait a few weeks until their production line is up and running and shipping before committing. But man, seeing those videos of the factory and all the cabinets, parts and machinery on hand, as well as the games that have come out so far and how upfront they've been here, sure builds confidence, even if they smartly avoid timeline predictions now.

2 weeks later
#12634 2 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

I think many of you have never worked with large corporations, let alone marketing teams. You just don't get it.
There is nothing speedy or efficient about these processes... period...

This. You have to bug and bug and bug and be the squeaky wheel and it still moves slowly. Unless they want something from you, then they want it in the next 2 hours.

#12656 2 years ago

As a movie and pinball fan, I think your comparisons were off, I feel it would be more like:

T2 WITHOUT Sarah Connor
Nightmare on Elm Street WITHOUT Nancy Thompson...

You picked the monsters for these movies, Alien has the monster all over it. But hey, if it bothers you Sigourney Weaver isn't on it, don't buy it. I think most people don't think it's that big of a deal or that it hurts the gameplay. Is Wesley Crusher in Star Trek the Next Generation anywhere? I know he's not on the backglass.

#12657 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

As a movie and pinball fan, I think your comparisons were off, I feel it would be more like:
T2 WITHOUT Sarah Connor
Nightmare on Elm Street WITHOUT Nancy Thompson...
You picked the monsters for these movies, Alien has the monster all over it. But hey, if it bothers you Sigourney Weaver isn't on it, don't buy it. I think most people don't think it's that big of a deal or that it hurts the gameplay. Is Wesley Crusher in Star Trek the Next Generation anywhere? I know he's not on the backglass.

#12706 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It was a joke about Sammy Hagar impersonators...and that being a niche market...being a Sammy impersonator. Get it? Now you've ruined it by forcing the over-explain

For the record, I thought it was hilarious when you posted that.

1 week later
#13049 2 years ago

Bad ass!

#13050 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

For those of us with the optional backbox LCD, there has to be a way to incorporate that artwork into the display when the game is idle. I realize there are clips playing etc in attract mode, but it would be nice for a menu option where you can display a static image.

Would you really want a static image in attract mode over movie clips and full motion color action? I wouldn't, it seems like a waste of technology.

#13053 2 years ago

Although if the screen burn said this it would be funny...

GAME
OVER
MAN

#13256 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This is true, but I think an earlier poster Nailed it. If the rumored Star Wars is coming soon and no real progress of shipping games, Heighway wont be able to process the refunds fast enough.

Did Stern solve their playfield problems? I saw a lot of people swearing off from never buying a new Stern again or at least not buying one until all the cabinet and playfield problems got resolved.

#13322 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

3D is really bad for your eyes. You keep focusing different depths, but your eyes don't change angle. It creates a disjoining between your eye movement and focus. That's why so many get a headache.

It can cause short term discomfort, but it's false to state that it's really bad for your eyes:
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/3-d-movies-glasses

#13369 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sheesh! After reading all these "tweaks", I'm not sure this game is ready for mass production yet. This is a bunch to get ironed out and tested IMO.

These are pretty normal for any new game, especially the first dozen or two off the line. If you've followed the Stern Ghostbusters threads, people have had to do a lot of tweaks to get them dialed in. And here's the thing, what may bug one person and make them want to tweak and adjust things, may not bug you at all. Some collectors really enjoy the process of tweaking and dialing in a game to make it play even better

#13466 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Wondering again, why people are bailing out when production is just starting? Why did you wait this long and then suddenly, when games start to trickle out decide I need my money back ASAP?

This seems weird to me too. They've now produced about 2 dozen games which are making it to shows and private collectors, as well as being put out on location. They are working out a few problems before ramping up to full production. It seems like while behind schedule, things are happening and people are about to get their games in the next few months.

#13557 2 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Alien will be at the Nitro booth at NW Pinball Show!

You are killin' it Tommy with getting both Alien and Houdini for the show. Your booth is gonna be swamped!

1 week later
#13788 2 years ago

It looks like things might have officially moved into production and these are no longer pre-production games coming out?

#13810 2 years ago

More pictures of Aliens, less pictures of a Metallica please. Although that was a pretty epic burn after he pretended to not know what you were talking about.

#13938 2 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Here is another video showing the right ramp return and Super Jackpot During Ambush Multiball
Enjoy!
» YouTube video

This game looks pretty intense to play! Less than a month until I get to try it out at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show!

#13941 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

We need to be sure to get some games in before the doors open and the lines form!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

I'm helping with set up Thursday afternoon and evening, as well as Friday in the AM, so I hope to get a few games in on Alien, Houdini and Dialed In before the masses invade. But if not, I'm happy to wait in line, everyone is usually pretty friendly and chatty in line to play a new pin.

#14143 1 year ago

Heighway and their design team have commented on this thread more than about any other pinball manufacturer has on threads about their games, but it's probably an unrealistic expectation to think that a company would monitor online forums daily to answer questions about their product. Especially as they are busy working to better that product, assemble it, ship it, and ramp up production. Running your own business is hard, the hours are long, the amount of tasks and work is overwhelming, and unless you have someone specifically hired to deal with social media and marketing, it's an area that often doesn't get that much attention.

#14158 1 year ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Getting ready to announce some fun stuff for our June NW Pinball Show... it's coming up FAST!

I see what you did there.

#14174 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'd also like to see Alien at Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown.

The way to get one there is to get one of the distributors to bring one, so invite Nitro or Cointaker.

#14180 1 year ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Lol.... I don't think you can just invite them to set up shop. To my understanding Vendors would need to pay to be at events... and they would need to ensure they would make enough moola to make it viable...

Actually, that is pretty much what you do. It really just starts with an email saying it would be awesome if you come to our event, we would love you as a sponsor or to have a booth at it, contact me for more info. If you guys want any advice or help on this, I'm the person that contacts and signs sponsorship agreements and does some of the vendor work for the Northwest show. I'd be happy to help. There is a fair amount of work that goes into contacting companies, sending out press releases and info, nurturing relationships, etc. as you build and grow your show.

#14196 1 year ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Personally, I think a lot of the disappointment in the "fear factor" isn't really their fault. I really do think that a lot of society has become so desensitized to this stuff, there is no shock value anymore. Remember the days when your date would bury her face in your shirt when you were at the movies and the bloody scene flashed for just a brief second? Those days are long gone......if there are no bowels, entrails, and exploding brains, then people stop buying the popcorn.

I dunno, I watch a lot of horror and there are lots of great directors still figuring out how to find fear in their audience with their films. What was so great about the first Alien movie is the slow build up... creepy lighting, creepy music, slowly the audience figuring out something was going to happen and then waiting and waiting as the tension built up to see what would happen. Directors can still do that. When they jump straight to the action, yeah, you are right, we've seen it all before, what they need to work on is the tension and suspense.

#14275 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Cirqus why is the backglass so dark?

It looks like has the model with the hdtv and then just has the translite artwork propped over it. I'm sure it would look way more lit up if you bought the version with the translite installed.

I wasn't sure about what the green would look like, but that looks killer!

#14848 1 year ago

"Hello to all pinball enthusiasts out there, we are active investors in Heighway Pinball Ltd.
There has been a lot of talk, and also silence, over the last few weeks. For this we are sorry but we have not been legally able to reach out to you before now.
We are now happy to announce that we have reached an agreement on how to take over the business and move it forward.
We are all pinball enthusiasts and professional business owners. We are fully committed to making your games and we have the plan and finance in place to make this happen.
We have drawn up a detailed strategy to invest money into the company, both to ensure that machines are built to the highest quality and also to ensure that healthy numbers are shipped as quickly as possible.
The company will have new management, new leadership and new funding to make sure that everyone, who has money at stake, will get their ordered pinball machines.
The budget and business plan for how to make this a success has been carefully drawn up and is about to be put in place.
The transaction is now in progress and legal papers are being drawn up as you read this. We hope you all will bear with us for the next couple of weeks as we get everything in place.
We have had positive talks with our major distributors around the world and we thank them all for their patience and for believing in us.
Together with our suppliers, distributors and you pinball enthusiasts, we can make this happen. Alien is a great game and there are more to follow.
We will keep you updated and communication channels will be opened as soon as we are settled in.
Thank you for your understanding and patience in advance. We understand your frustrations and concerns. All of us investors are in the same boat as you, waiting for their games to be shipped and, after much time spent at the factory, we have taken matters into our own hands to ensure that Heighway Pinball can survive and prosper.
Regards
Investor Group - Heighway Pinball Ltd"

#15055 1 year ago

The Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show is happy to announce we will feature the Northwest debut of ALIEN this weekend at the show! Alien will be in the Nitro Pinball booth the entire 3 days of the show on free play, so get your game on!

The 2017 Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show takes place June 9th - 11th at the Tacoma Convention Center in Washington State! The show features over 400 pinball and arcade machines from the 1950s to today, tournaments, world record high score attempts, vendors, seminars, guest speakers, raffles and prizes. This convention draws 4,000 collectors, players and fans of classic coin-op games.
This is our 10th show! Expect more games, more tournaments, more vendors, more speakers and lots of cool things to see and do! All 400+ games at the show will be on freeplay the entire weekend! We will have Houdini, Alien, 2 Dialed Ins, a P3, 20 of the latest Sterns including 2 new AC/DC Vault Editions, a number of homebrew pinball and arcade games!

alien-pinball-playfield-screen (resized).jpg

#15057 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

With or without a working xenomorph?

I guess we will find out! But I'm pretty sure both the Alien and Houdini are on the show circuit tour, I'm not expecting anything new, but still pretty excited to see the prototypes.

#15067 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I wish there was a west coast distributor.

Well, Nitro is a West Coast distributor for those of us up in the Northwest.

And if you are talking pot, it's super legal up here, you can buy it like beer at the corner pot store, there are about 10 within a 15 minutes drive from my house. Honestly, I don't understand why other states haven't all followed suit, it makes everyone more chill.

1 month later
#15729 1 year ago

Did anyone seriously think they wouldn't raise the prices on non preordered pins with new owners coming in to right the ship to make the company functional and profitable? I think it was kind of expected... although it would have been nice if the price jump wasn't quite as much.

2 weeks later
#16018 1 year ago

Do you think an empty cabinet is worth more than 1800 Euros? I would think most of pricing would go into the playfield and game development.

#16078 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

The whole point of kits is to save expense and space. Expense is a joke now so they should ditch kits. While at it, please return to BW standard cabinet design. The current shallow backbox looks like a toy, and the drilled out cabinet sides are structurally weak. We also know what happens to PF glass.

I'm sure they will weigh your personal opinion heavily and follow your advice and totally change their design right as they are finally going into production.

1 week later
#16322 1 year ago

Isn't it pretty typical for a prototype on location to have problems? Like from any manufacturer?

#16324 1 year ago

Good point. It just seems like this is pretty typical, the prototypes have some problems they've acknowledged and when the production games start coming they will send prototype owners the updated parts. And that it's taking a few months longer for the new owners to get production up and running. There is a lot of speculation going on because the new owners aren't posting on Pinside, but it seems like everything is moving the right direction since they took over from Andrew and they are busy at work. The American Pinball guys are probably a little smarter in chiming in to threads once in a while, updating on progress and not letting themselves get nailed down to a timeline, it keeps the speculation and worry at bay. But pinball companies have never been that good at the social networking/online marketing aspect of the business, it's a new area of business expertise even the big guys don't understand very well.

1 week later
#16535 1 year ago
Quoted from jq-pinner77:

Guess what ,most pinball buyers are in home ,arcades are far and few.

Depends where you live. In the Seattle Area we have 18 arcades or barcades with enough machines to host pinball tournament nights. I think 7 or 8 are within a 10 minutes drive from my house.

#16562 1 year ago

Honestly I think it would be pretty confusing if multiple players in the same game were playing with different rules. And the amount of work that would go into setting that up vs. how many people would actually use that feature doesn't seem worth it. Unless it was something simple like longer ball save times.

I do like how my Bride of Pinbot 2.0 has each person create a log in name and charts their progress game after game, kinda like Golden Tee, as well as track your high scores online to compare them to what people are doing around the world. That seems like a great place for innovation and competition in pinball.

#16565 1 year ago

36 pins is a full container if you have a top layer, that's how we buy re-imports from Italy. Shipping containers can take a lot longer than you'd expect to arrive. Sometimes the full container takes a few days to pick up, a few days to load, the ship stops at more ports than you expect, the container is moved to another ship or two at various ports, etc. The travel across the pond is the most predictable part. The cool part is you get a shipping container number and ship info and can GPS track it on a shipping website and know exactly where it is and the estimated arrival date, which definitely does change.

My two cents is it hasn't shipped yet if they don't have the shipping container info and an estimated arrival date. But also, I wouldn't sweat it. The new owners just took over a few months ago, they had to order and install a bunch of new parts, but they brought a huge cash and organizational infusion and have been issuing refunds and building games. Everything they've done shows they are trying to take this game to full production, plan on shipping games soon, and want to revive the company and profit from their investment. They shouldn't be held to the past owner's mistakes and promises even if they are trying to make up for his mistakes. They seem so close to shipping production games and plan on shipping hundreds and hundreds if they can sell them.

#16567 1 year ago

While waiting for Aliens to arrive in the States, I thought I'd share a photo my cakemaker friend made for a baby shower...

aliencake (resized).jpg

1 week later
#16750 1 year ago

I have to think a lot more than 60% of the cost of a pin goes into R&D, programming, sound design, playfield artwork and design, parts and assembly. I would bet the cabinet, even with a monitor, speakers, glass and cpu is less than 25% of the total cost of a pin. My guess is Andrew's price quotes just weren't realistic and when this group of business people tookover and really broke down the costs and pricing, they realized what their real price points had to be to make the company survive and their investment pay off.

#16792 1 year ago
Quoted from budroosker:

You mean you haven't seen avatar?
He asked if I was in the U.S. I was saying look at the location info to the right of my picture.

FYI, your location says "Unknown, captain!"

#16878 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryno:

One gone up on eBay in the UK. 1st one I have seen on there for sale.
It has the 27" in it but a bit steep at £8995 ono. That is £1K over RRP of a new one (which are already now overpriced IMO).
Now that ALIEN machines are clearly leaving the factory in numbers you would be mad to pay that much over RRP surely? Especially as it seems that Heighway have revamped (and re ramped) a lot of the components in recent weeks..

This happens with every new Stern game too. There's people with lots of money that don't know a lot about pinball or that they can buy it directly from a distributor, so they overpay via Ebay.

#16902 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

Id like to know this also. I'm in the same boat as well.
I thought if you were paid in full, you would game quicker. Not sure the point of taking on all this exposure if you can put down a deposit and get a game 2 weeks later. What is cointaker thinking? Aren't their people out there that have had deposits down for years? I will call cointaker tomorrow and find out unless someone knows the answer to this already.

Don't LEs always ship after SEs with all pinball manufacturers? I thought this was a common practice with Stern and JJP as well. I assumed the point of taking on the exposure for LE buyers is getting a limited edition game with a limited production run, thinking it will have more value than the standard editions because of a limited artwork package and/or toys.

#16948 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Has anybody gotten the shipping info that was promised yet? I realize tracking the ship isn’t high drama for Pinside elites. But after recent lies about launches and hurricanes, I’m interested in some verification. Thanks

My friends and I buy shipping containers of pins from Italy once or twice a year, generally it takes a couple days after the games are picked up from the seller by the shipper before you get the shipping info. I'd bet they have the container number, but it won't be until the middle of next week before they will have the ship and tracking info. I also bet it takes longer to ship than they are estimating. If I were Cointaker and Heighway, I'd stop giving best case scenarios on shipping and give worse case scenario timelines or no timelines at all. It's awesome they've got the first container packed and going, that's huge, but once the truck leaves the seller, the seller has zero control over how long it will take to get loaded on a boat and how long shipping will take.

#16953 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I have asked CT for tracking - no info yet. From your experience how long does it take from Italy to Seattle?

4-6 weeks. Italian ships generally stop at at least 3 or 4 more ports before they cross the pond, each port stop can add a day or two, then they go through the Panama canal and stop a couple places in California on the way up. The container can also move ships. Our record is 6 countries, 3 ships. But coming from the UK straight to the East Coast is going to be way quicker and once you get the ship tracking info next week, I've found the shipping companies predictions on when the container will hit port is pretty accurate. Then there is the whole how long do you have to wait to get it, which can be a few days, or if you get custom searched, a week. That's why I say estimates should be on worst case scenarios rather then best case.

#16976 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The reviews for this sound mixed. It sounds like a very polarizing game, I wonder why? greenhornet any insights?

If you read back in the thread, greenhornet went on and on about some fatal flaw in the game that they would tell us all about soon, then when people pushed back, they eventually went away... only to come back now and post this stuff. Clearly they have an ulterior motive against Alien with their multi-pronged approach to talking down the game. The question is why?

#17027 1 year ago

Now I'm wishing there was a Total Recall pinball machine with a Kuato Lives multiball where Kuato bursts out of the playfield.

#17062 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I'd be curious how dim the Pinstadium lights can go. I suspect they'd be brighter than I'd like for Alien.

They seem way too bright for such a dark theme. The movies were super dark... space, spaceships on auxiliary lighting, blackness and steam making it hard to see the monsters coming... that was part of the suspense of it all.

#17088 1 year ago

I like the Pinstadium lighting on some titles, I'm about to order it for my Addams Family, but that example above doesn't look good, it's way way way too bright. It's just overkill on this game and detracts from the lighting and art, rather than enhancing it.

#17143 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

Just my opinion, not looking to create an argument but I always thought the whole kit/swap out playfield idea was a waste of time, energy and low profit for HP. Just crank out machines and have extra parts to ship out to current clients.The concept sounds neat but in the end a total waste of time. Stern could have started this program by now. Why haven't they? Because there's not enough profit.
I have a Full Throttle and I feel they have a strong product. Plays crazy fast and It's built like a brick shithouse.

My feeling is to carve out a niche in the pinball market, they came up with a gimmick that appeals to a certain number of people, mainly operators and people with limited space. There are a bunch of people on Pinside that have mentioned they are pretty into the kit idea, so if they have 200 or 500 buyers getting it in part because of that, that gives them a leg up over other manufacturers... they have something else going on that the other guys can't compete with with this format. But yes, most people will just buy the full game and never swap. I actually like the concept and that they have one design and marketing element that really sets them apart. If they are trying to save time and crank out machines, I think where the new owners/company should do that is by dropping LE models and all the personalized choices. Customizing each pin to the owner is what really slows down production, rather than having a unique cabinet design on all the cabinets.

#17153 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Operators use to destroy games with sledge hammers once they stopped earning so they could accelerate the depreciation on them. The original kits (pin2k) were designed to save them money and make it to where they wouldn't need to take a sledge hammer to an old game.

I think it follows the model/logic for arcade games that operators have loved. When a game stops earning on location, rather than pulling the full game and replacing it with a new one, they could buy a cheaper kit and update the guts without having to move the old game to their warehouse. In the 80s with JAMMA games it was common operator behavior. If the Heighway model keeps going, and operator can have one cabinet and every 2-3 years as the game's earnings have dropped, buy a kit for a new game and drop it in the cabinet to make it a top earner again. It worked with vids... not sure if it will with pins, but that's the main reason I'd see operators liking the kit model.

#17304 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Blah blah blah blah blah

TL, DR.

1 week later
#17820 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sorry no I'm talking about the lcd screen in the playfield not back left corner. If I unplug that built in playfield, the one with issues, it helps but doesn't resolve).
As for rebooting, that does seem to correct the issue (have to wait some time though) but the problem does comes back after playing for 15 min or so. Will do more playing to determine time and consistency but woke up today and the screen was normal. Haven't played yet have to pay the bills and work ; )

Have you tried swapping out the cable to the monitor? I've had similar stuff happen with DMD displays and swapping in a new cable usually has solved it. Cables are cheap and sometimes flawed.

#17912 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

If anyone encounters what seems to be an infinite ball saver or infinite multiball and want to lend a hand, it'd be very helpful if you:
- Jump into the operator menu.
- Insert a USB thumb drive into the game's computer. (Not sure how easy or difficult this is, e.g. if they've run an extension USB cable to somewhere near the coin door...)
- Select Reports > Debug Report. It should advise that it's writing pinprog.log to your USB drive.
- Once it exits back to the menu, you can remove the USB thumb drive.
- Put the thumb drive into your regular computer, where as promised you should see a file called "pinprog.log". Mail that to me at alien<at>joe.tater.org.
The only cause I'm aware of for infinite ballsaver is a hyperactive outlane or trough switch, but if there's some other issue, I would love to fix it ASAP.
Thanks!

Customers dream of Stern having this type of programming support for their games. You are a good egg, you really listen and care about the game being the best it can be and everyone knows it. Cheers!

#17974 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Off hand I remember seeing pics of others experiencing unlit side panels, unlit string of insert lights, freezing mini LCD screens. Who could these people have contacted at Heighway Pinball for live technical support?? HP is off radar, working in their secret lair. Fortunately, those with issues here, found common learning and have fixed their issues.

I must be confused, I saw both programmers contributing to the thread, offering help, acknowledging what caused that error, acknowledging the solution, and saying they will fix it in the software. Are you reading the same thread here?

Do other manufacturers have a way bigger level of support and info and contribute to Pinside threads as the first machines are delivered? If you read all the Stern threads about ghosting, playfield mechanical problems, cabinet problems and software problems it's mostly buyers figuring things out, solving their own problems, lodging complaints, and waiting years for code updates and new playfields. No one is perfect at this stuff, but I'm not sure why you are expecting more from the new Heighway than we've seen from other manufacturers. It's a learning curve and this is their first game with new people that just took over the company a few months ago. NIB games often have minor problems, this is true with all manufacturers. I see no reason to get the pitchforks when everyone getting the new games seem really stoked.

#17975 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I must be confused, I saw both programmers contributing to the thread, offering help, acknowledging what caused that error, acknowledging the solution, and saying they will fix it in the software. Are you reading the same thread here as the rest of us?
Do other manufacturers have a way bigger level of support and info and contribute to Pinside threads as the first machines are delivered?
If you read all the Stern threads about ghosting, playfield problems, cabinet problems and software problems it's mostly buyers figuring things out, lodging complaints, and waiting years for code updates. No one is perfect at this stuff, but I'm not sure why you are expecting more from the new Heighway than we've seen from other manufacturers. It's a learning curve and this is their first game with new people that just took over the company a few months ago.

#18200 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

I'm still waiting for my refund from them. Not too happy with Heighway right now

I would think with new sales starting to come in they would be wrapping up the final refunds to people. There seems to be only a few outstanding. Do the refunds, get the parts out on the next shipment to the folks with the early version, start doing some basic support and it would go a long way with folks and help their bottom line with more sales.

#18274 1 year ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

They're out of parts, guaranteed! No more in their inventory. And no new cash flow (games still sitting unsold), to fund more parts...especially LE's (which is why they dropped the fiber optic ramps I bet).

Can you prove any of these assertions? Wondering what facts and data you have that the rest of us don't.

#18349 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Does anyone know what the current price of SE and LE are at this time?

American Distributor, 8K: https://cointaker.com/t/aliens

1 month later
#18927 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Nope, I was told Friday to pay in full as my game would arrive to CT on Monday. Something happened with custom papers and it’s still at dock instead of on a truck to my house lol. So I figured I would go pick it up from CT on Friday if they can get it to arrive there by then. I didn’t wanna wait till next weekend as I have 3 days off this weekend and would much prefer to have it sooner than later. If CT let’s me know tomorrow they they got the games released and will have them by Friday I will make the trip from Richmond.

Hopefully the shipment isn't getting a full customs inspection. That happened with one of our shipping containers of pins from Italy about a year ago. They held it for like 5 days and charged us to have it driven to and from their warehouse, plus the shipping company charged us for the extra days we had the container. The inspection ended up taking 12 minutes... I'm sure customs opened it up and said, nope, we aren't pulling out all these heavy machines.

#18973 1 year ago

snow (resized).jpg

#19073 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

honestly, it seems the majority of issues from the new production batch have been minimal and if anything attributable to shipping vibration.

A lot more can come unscrewed and wiggle apart with a game shipped via boat, moved around by big cranes, in multiple trucks, etc. We just had our latest shipping container of pins arrive from Italy and my game had a bunch of bulbs pop out and probably 30 screws under the playfield. Granted this is a 2000s Williams game that had been routed for years, then shipped, but it's amazing to see what comes loose during shipping. Gotta think that's normal with NIB games.

#19167 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder if they need to be replaced with a hard plastic version instead of soft bendy. Like a plastic spider.

If they don't wiggle in play at all, that seems like a smart route. The softer wiggling aliens from Attack/Revenge from Mars often break and I'm assuming it's because the rubber is too soft, but that's essential for the purpose they serve.

1 month later
#19931 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

We can only hope...but is it already too late? It's hard to come back from a bad reputation. Not impossible and I really do hope they pull off the improbable. This game deserves to get into more hands...hands that can trust parts will be there when/if they need them.

One thing I always wonder about is how much of the pinball market reads Pinside or actually follows this stuff? Sure, the hardcore collectors do, but if Alien is just now starting to show up on location and with distributors, for most potential buyers, isn't it just now showing up on their radar? Do you think they have any idea this project took years to happen, that there was a switch of ownership, or that the new owners have taken longer than expected to make things right for early adopters? I have a lot of friends that play pinball and some own a few games that really don't pay attention at all to what game is coming out next, they don't care about a game until it's out on location and they've played it a bunch.

#19941 1 year ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Hopefully HW has learned and won't do pre orders anymore. And honestly if they get their shit together they should be busy building Alien games for a while. In my head money is the main thing holding them back, and I doubt they can get another investor now.

If they could build 2,000 Alien games, they could sell 2,000, distributors are just waiting for games to sell.

#20044 1 year ago

Programmers finally getting games, 45 LEs coming, and a bunch of the parts for people's early production games. They might actually pull this off.

1 week later
#20178 1 year ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

Today a further shipment from Heighway Pinball arrived with Alien LE's in all colours.
HAve a look on https://www.facebook.com/rspinball/posts/572168659798313

So the LEs are definitely shipping now.

1 week later
#20205 1 year ago

My game room's lights are all on a dimmer, I tend to set the lighting pretty low, but never totally dark. Agree that the Pinstadium lights look pretty awful on Alien, this is a modern game that's supposed to be dark, that much bright light is overkill and looks bad against the ramp returns. I think Pinstadium lights look best on making 90s era DMD games that were underlighted pop, not sure I see the value in putting them in a new game.

1 week later
#20350 1 year ago

I would imagine since Heighway was taken over by 4 millionaire investors with experience running companies that two years from now they will finally have their act together, have overcome Andrew's mess and false promises, and be cranking out Alien number 2,000 and starting to put out their next machine. But it's going to be a long painful path to get there.

3 weeks later
#20492 1 year ago
Quoted from Frli002:

Thats weird, no games shiped to USA yet?
We have at least 30 le's here in Sweden.
Dont even have a guess how many in whole Europé, but there will be a great bunch.
Hope you guys get som games shiped over there soon it is usch a good and fun game.

I think when a shipment of 30 LEs shows up in the USA, you are gonna hear about it here and people will be a lot more happy with the company. But that event happening seems to be taking way longer than everyone expected, even with the new owners and new timeline.

2 weeks later
#20856 1 year ago

It's interesting how many Americans are declaring Heighway is done/over and how many Europeans keep posting about being happy with the new game they just received. I'm still pulling for them to succeed and hoping the Euro sales and success will help them stay on track and that the container or two ready for Cointaker gets worked out and shipped. This is a great game, a killer art and sound package, and I want it to succeed.

#20945 1 year ago

What's the likelihood of another distributor buying that container full of Aliens and jacking up the price and selling them? Seems like it's going to become a rare title and jump in value if the company folds.

#21147 1 year ago
Quoted from simon:

But, completely hypothetically of course, what if those new directors sold the ip / Heighway tech to another company, say for instance if they maybe already had one set up ready since say, hypothetically again, last summer?
And then , hypothetically, liquidated the company to lose minor investors and other 'less critical' creditors who werent key to restarting the whole process again - those sort or creditors would be unlikely to be customers as without some goodwill there is no future business.
All completely hypothetical of course and completely my own unfounded opinion in case anyone decides to be silly and go legal for no good reason

Woah!

#21391 1 year ago

The_Umbrella_Corporation_Logo (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#22076 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If anyone can't name 3 Iron Maiden songs, then you know they were home-schooled and their mom would not allow it......or they grew up listening to Michael Jackson
"Dude, who would win in a fight, Michael Jackson or Prince ????"

Hey, I grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Prince AND Maiden.

#22077 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I grew up listening to MJackson and still love it today, Prince and Purple Rain was major when I was 10 years old and he would kick Jacksons ass, with his little boots.

That was highschool for me, I saw Prince/The Time/Sheila E on the Purple Rain tour and caught one of the little cymbals off of Prince's tambourine when he shattered it and tossed it into the audience. So great. Prince stood on the tallest speaker stack during a guitar solo, gyrating, and then his guitar squirted presumably water out over the crowd. 16 year old me drunk on wine coolers thought that it was the craziest thing ever.

2 months later
#22820 9 months ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

It is beyond frustrating to have delivered something to be proud of and to be torpedoed by things out of our control. Next year I will make sure that it shows up at the NWPAS in the spirit of sharing.
ddt

You are a rockstar of the pinball world David!

8 months later
#24271 33 days ago
alien easter (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nwpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside