• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1987 3 years ago

That is a really cool swap system. I also quite like the lit/inset side art style as well and think it will look great on Alien..

Makes me wish that one day some older games could be reproduced under license in this sort of swap format. I'm sure there's a large number of technical reasons this won't likely happen in the foreseeable future (and that's not even touching on the licensing and cost issues...), but it seems like it would be the perfect way for people with limited space to get those few extra older pins that they might really want, but just not enough to dedicate the space to.

Anyhow, just a nice thought.

#1993 3 years ago

Yup, that's exactly what I had in mind.

You could potentially even sell them at a very good premium over what a decent original version of the game would cost too, depending on which game of course.

I know my idea of a "reasonable" price certainly changes when I know I don't have to worry about finding extra space for and probably repairing whatever it is I'm thinking of buying...

#2002 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

yeah I'd be more worried about proprietary connectors that ubiquitous ones.

Yeah, it would suck to become the Apple of pinball...oh, wait...

Seriously though, I hate proprietary connectors and it baffles and sickens me that (some) companies are very successful at fleecing consumers with them. Apparently it's a smart business decision for some, but still...

#2066 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Come on guys, we all know the next theme should be evil dead/army of darkness.

Hell yes! That's the only other theme that would be right up there with Alien for me. Well, except for GoT <cue sad music....>

Really excited about the new tv show coming out.

#2071 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Was doing some research on Aliens today and stumbled across this little gem, Decepticon toy used as a prop in the movie:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=106179
Funny stuff.

Ha! I had one of those as a kid.

#2076 3 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Love this movie and would totally buy it as a theme. I've met B.C. and it's unfortunate that he's a dick in real life but I'll be watching the show.
Andrew did mention wanting to do a family theme and I would like to see Princess Bride get the treatment.

That's a shame if Bruce is a dick in real life. Never met him, but his autobiography, "If Chins Could Kill" is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

#2105 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Heighway has commented on a couple occasions saying, they are working on a "adult" themed cartoon that has been done as a pin before. To me the most logical is South Park

If the adult cartoon part is true, I really wish they'd do Archer. Someone here on pinside is doing one already (that looks great), does that count?

Also...Futurama would be a great one too that no one has done. Between the tubes, spaceship, Bender call outs, etc. there are so many possibilities...

1 month later
#2361 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Or focuses on Jones, hero of Alien?

I really do hope there is some reference to Jones in the game even if not in the artwork.

Bonus points if you can figure out a subtle way to give the cat a pulse rifle so he fits better into the second film.

1 month later
#2918 3 years ago

Hmm...I'm starting to feel like I might be the only one that actually wants the smaller backbox lcd along with cool LE art.....

1 month later
#3358 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

It seems like Aliens is a pin many people love and will never swap in/out of the cabinet. With that in mind, it would be great if Heighway offered a permanent cab option so that the side cabinet art looked better than the swappable inserts. There's just something about how the insert art and the lines of cabinet not being parallel that just looks off. It also limits the art to just the insert section. Feels more like an arcade game marquee approach vs a pinball cabinet approach.

I actually like how they're doing the side art, particularly the lighting. Since at least one side will be visible in my place, I feel like I'll (hopefully) appreciate that its a bit different from the other machines.

#3379 3 years ago

Sounds like you overcame a big hurdle. Congrats. I know you must be even more excited than we all are about this and that saying a lot.

#3441 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a game that's going to be heavily about atmosphere, it's dark, we want to do a lot with the lighting and LCD screen, it was important that the playfield be moody.

Quoted from Aurich:

There are assets straight from the film, assets pulled from original HR Geiger concept drawings, i did original paintings and original drawings (digital on my Wacom tablet), and even bits taken from Alien comic books that I was allowed to use as resources.

Quoted from Aurich:

they didn't ask for a single change. Not one.

These points, in particular, actually make me very excited to spend a fairly large amount of money. That's not a way I feel very often

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Anyone else find this disturbing?

Yes. Absolutely.

#3733 3 years ago

Oooohhh, ahhhh

Definitely like it. Now I can stop refreshing this page at work...

Also, in case anyone missed the big news:

Quoted from kaneda:

I expect the next podcast to be about the Alien reveal this week.

#3740 3 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

I agree man. Felt a bit like a Kanye West mic grab.

"Imma let you finish, Aurich. "

Sorry, sorry. Had to say it...

#4191 3 years ago

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these :

1. Roughly ~$6300 vs ~$8050

2. None official. Probably late spring?

3. Cointaker is the US distributor, I believe, but I ordered straight from Heighway.

#4284 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Weapons will play a part in the rules, we have the pulse rifle, smart gun, flamethrower, Hicks' shotgun, and Vasquez's pistol. You collect them with the standup targets. Each will have an animation, so don't worry, they're represented.

Great. Not sure if others feel the same, but this is one of the small but important things that I was really hoping would make it into the game.

2 weeks later
#4604 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I wanna throw out a plug for Heighway to come to SFGE in Atlanta during June. If you come, I'll buy you at least a few shots.

Same here. Would love the chance to play Full Throttle as well as (fingers crossed) something resembling a complete Alien pin.

2 weeks later
#4715 3 years ago

Very purty

1 week later
#4896 3 years ago

Sweet!

1 week later
#5012 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can tell you guys are bored, so read this piece by my coworker Lee about whether or not the Aliens are actually called xenomorphs or not:
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2014/08/the-throwaway-line-in-aliens-that-spawned-decades-of-confusion/
This is how we nerd out where I work.

Interesting... I've thought before about the marines' use of "bug hunt" in Aliens and always just assumed they'd had run-ins with bugish type aliens before, just much less murdery ones than the capital-A Aliens. Likewise, i figured xenomorph was converted from a generic use for aliens to one specific to Aliens because, well really, who the hell cares about any other aliens with those damn things running around out there?

It is odd though that even in the extended canon, they're never really given an official name that sticks. Not even by the Yautja/Predators, and they seem to have a name for everything (i may hypothetically be a big enough fan to own nearly all of the Alien, pred, and avp comic omnibuses ).

1 week later
#5143 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

This was shown at TPF tonight during the Alien presentation by Heighway Pinball!
It grabs & locks the ball!!

5c76ed1941739407e63253d483f60744ecdc3400.jpeg_(resized).jpg

Ok, that looks really f-ing cool.

1 week later
#5252 3 years ago

easter-1_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#5582 3 years ago

Thanks Aurich! Glad to here it really sounds like a lot of thought is going into the code. Before you go though, do you have any comments or opinions concerning Traci Lords?

#5608 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

and still ... nothing. At least we're staying on topic. (I think) ;

Yes, at least we're still on topic.

Oh, as a side note, any of you see this one?

download_(resized).jpg

#5717 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Hi everyone,
I want to give you all an update.
The official line from Fox is that we can't publicly show videos until the game has been approved as a whole. I will continue to show teasers, privately, at shows until then.
There's a chance we will be at 2 U.S. shows next month so I'll let you all know if that happens. Alien won't (can't) be shown until it is finished.
At our last team meeting, we all agreed on a schedule that should see Alien Pinball complete by mid August. Pending approval by Fox of the finished game, then we expect to start production in September.
We all love what we are doing with this game and it's frustrating not to be able to show you our progress. There is another argument that when you all see the finished promo video, then it will be exactly what we want to show you - rather than prototype videos at various stages of development.
We apologise if this disappoints anyone but we are nearly there now. All should become clear within a few months

So, i wonder what this means for any showing of the LE art or even any revised playfield art? It would really blow to have to wait so long to at least see that stuff...

#5827 3 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

How about SFGE in GA? Pretty please. I'm not above begging.

Yes, please Andrew. Would love to see a Heighway presence there.

#5947 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Right, a history in pinball. Try asking the average person under 40 who Elvira is....then follow up and ask if they care.
Hope it gets made if that's what people want though. I never saw the appeal, except when I was 12 and liked seeing big tits on TV.

My wife doesn't particularly care for pinball, but she'd be very interested in a new Elvira pin. Admittedly its probably not an average case, but she's 29 and occasionally goes dressed as Elvira to conventions, etc. so it's one of the few themes she'd actually get excited about.

Sort of like Alien is for me.

See...I said "Alien" so its relevant now.

#5951 3 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

You knew this was coming so I'll just get it out of the way now.... Pictures or it didn't happen.
Oh, and I'm still interested in seeing Alien when it's done.

Yeah, i knew that was coming too.

I'll have to try to track one down after work. I'd ask her but she had a root canal earlier today and probably won't react kindly to "Hey, can you send me one of those pics of you with your boobs out so i can post it on a pinball forum."

Edit: almost forgot... Alien! Yay!

#5957 3 years ago

In an effort to fill the void by discussing something other than how much it sucks that people aren't talking about Alien, I'll ask something I asked previously and never received an answer to (admittedly, perhaps because there isn't one):

Did everyone take Andrew's statements about not showing a video until the machine was finished as also applying to other things, like publicly showing pics of the LE art, for example? I ask because he seems to reference "videos" specifically as far as I can tell, but I could just be reading too much into it.

#6109 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

How do yall think this will work? Ball Save like WOZ?
--Jeff

I seem to recall reading something previously that gave me that impression, though i can't seem to recall what at the moment...

If so, I'm really curious to see the implementation.

#6120 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

At the reveal at Expo '14, Nordman showed a cardboard mock-up of a wheel with 6 slots on it, and the Space Jockey on top.

-Speculation-
I think this wheel will rotate (either to set stations or continuous rotation), and one or more of the slots will be lit up. Get the ball in the lit slot and it will act like a ball saver. Get it in an unlit slot and you're dead.
-end speculation-
I like that it seems the theming has changed to the hypersleep chambers.
Later,
EV

Looking back at some of the previously shown stuff, this definitely makes sense. I'm guessing the dual exit options allow for a "sometimes" ball-saver depending on how well you nudge. Doesn't seem like the sleep chamber bay would necessarily have to rotate either, but it would certainly be a nice effect if it did.

#6268 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just got a new CAD file from Dave. Need to clean it up so it's a little more human readable, has a lot of layers for hidden things that will be confusing, but I'll post something up this week.

Great! Thanks!

3 weeks later
#6496 2 years ago

Great to hear that everyone seems to be happy with "The Video." Even though it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to see it, simply reading the positive reactions from those that have is keeping me excited. Also, based on the art shown and sound and rule discussions I've seen so far, it seems like my dream license is in good hands, so that doesn't hurt either

1 week later
#6558 2 years ago

"They mostly come at night..........mostly"

#6612 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

» YouTube video

Yep, didn't catch it until i looked at the threads posted in.

#6622 2 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

You do realize Brexit won't affect anything for 2-3 years. Alien pinball will have shipped well before then. We all hope

Wow, still here, huh? Impressive.

#6623 2 years ago

cockroaches-can-survive-a-nuclear-war_(resized).jpg

#6660 2 years ago

Brexit shouldn't affect anything for overseas buyers for at least 2 years. Even then, the likelihood is that nothing will change for the USA.
We have done our best to maintain pricing over the last few years. We were due to have a small price increase shortly - but this is on hold for now.
We buy many parts overseas in $USD. Where we might make more profit on selling games in $USD, it costs us more money to build them. So it's a catch 22.
Those who have pre-ordered the game do not need to worry about the uncertainty of currencies, as their prices are locked in. If exchange rates go the other way, then we are the ones who will lose out.
We must keep U.S. and Canadian prices in $USD. North America shipping and support costs are incorporated into our margins.

Whew

3 weeks later
#6831 2 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I wonder if there will be many who opt for the LE but not the 27". Anyone here doing that? I'm going for the 27" on my LE.

I'm unsure between the large and small LCDs for my LE. Waiting to see the LE art to decide.

#6834 2 years ago

Yeah, my understanding was you still get both the standard and LE art even with the big screen. I certainly would expect so anyway.

1 week later
#6926 2 years ago

Thanks for the update. As always, we appreciate the level of communication.

#6955 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The thought of playing mine by Christmas is beyond exciting!!!!!!

That is exciting, but makes me wonder whether i should be extra conservative in setting my cash aside just it case it happens to be before xmas. I was realistically expecting early next year for my LE. Would be great if they were ahead of schedule though.

#6957 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Generally, probably a good move to have cash or means ready when commitment made ( just my opinion, though). Doesn't mean you pay before you have to ( I'm not), but ready to move when it's time to buy.

Yeah, I'm not skipping out on the mortgage is anything like that so I'm fine with whatever, just curious really. Trying to plan an xmas vacation to Disney for the wife and what not

2 weeks later
#7037 2 years ago

Hmmm....this is way less interesting than when this thread got derailed by Traci Lords...

Seriously though, Andrew, don't waste your time responding to this kind of crap. Go get Alien ready to show!

1 week later
#7217 2 years ago

http://www.pinballexpo.net

I seem to recall reading that the Heighway presentation is scheduled for Oct 13th, though I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

1 week later
#7278 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It was suggested that they and several other cosmetic features of the game would be different on the LE (backglass and possibly PF included), but with Andrew saying they wanted to get the LEs out first, I expect that feature may have been cut ...

I think it unlikely that any of the plastics will be and don't recall ever hearing so much as a rumor that the playfield would be.

That said, if they want to be completely awesome, they could ship LE owners their machines first with the standard plastics and then send along LE plastics later whenever they're done. I believe it was already stated that LE buyers would get all the other standard art too anyway. Come on Heighway, be awesome

#7295 2 years ago

Got mine too! I'm excited, but the wife is gonna be pissed since i told her it would probably be closer to xmas

Wonder if the glass option will be pdi or invisiglass...

#7297 2 years ago

So i wonder what the chances are we will see the LE art before the 50% is due? I was hoping to see that before making my small vs large LCD decision, but i guess its not really a big deal since that can (hopefully) be changed at any point up until shipping.

#7349 2 years ago

Man, I really hate this lull between getting the email and the reveal. A bit frustrating that nothing you can do makes the time pass any faster...

15d5204c6096660df79dbbfb4af91936 (resized).jpg

#7352 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

PDI...hooray!!!!!

Is it PDI for sure, and not Invisiglass?!

#7383 2 years ago

The black nickel (or something similar) would look great. I think that would be a lot of people's first choice if that turns out to be an feasible option.

1 week later
#7514 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

No. Alien will be revealed for the first time in Chicago on October 13.

Not sure if this is still a possibility, but Andrew also mentioned that it might be slightly earlier.

We may well have a UK/Global launch the week before - so by the time of Expo, you may already have news

1 week later
#7657 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Thanks, I don't mind the downvotes at all. I know I'm in the minority as I stated and I understand it's just people that disagree with me. I just wanted to get it out there under Andrew's nose that at least one potential LE buyer is all about the full 35th Anniversary translite art package and with some justification on why I feel that way.
Based on my position it will kind of suck for me if the 27" LCD becomes mandatory and the Anniversary translite art turns out to be trim around the screen and I have to pay the 27" LCD upcharge that comes with the extra LCD when I didn't really want it. That won't stop me from purchasing my dream theme.
But a 27" LCD as standard would increase the cost of the LE right? I hesitate to believe LE preorder people that tried to lock in their price so long ago could be "grandfathered" in and not have the extra charge of a 27" LCD, if it should become standard, added to their total bill.

Just wanted to chime in to say that I completely agree with you about not wanting the large LCD to be mandatory on the LE. This is a dream theme of mine and I've had a deposit on an LE for awhile now, but i would strongly consider dropping down to a standard if it turned out that there was no "full" custom art package for the LE.

I'm sure my situation is a bit different than most people on here, but in my case, I have no basement or gameroom. My home just has a largish main floor that's mostly open so that my pins can be seen from basically anywhere but the kitchen. That means i really do care a lot what Alien will look like when its off (which, unfortunately, it probably will be fairly often because i never seem to have as much time to play as I'd like). Also, no one ever watches me play often enough for me to see much of a benefit in a large backbox LCD over a smaller one, and, since the art and topper were the primary LE-specific additions i cared about, I just don't see the cost-benefit being there for the LE if there isn't much art-wise.

Anyway, that's just my two cents and may certainly change after actually seeing the game. Who knows, I could be so freakin' impressed by the larger screen, fiber optic ramps, and powder-coating that I don't care about the art any more. Looking forward to it either way. Just thought I should offer an alternative opinion from someone that has a reason to want something other the the large LCD.

#7727 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Would be a huge pain in the ass to develop that, would double the work. But also, the LCD display affects the rules and the whole game. On Alien the dashboard tracks a lot of different things so you can see at a glance where you are with certain aspects of the game. Which weapon you have selected, what the effect of it is when you fire it, how your ammo for the sentry guns is going, how far you are in Lifecycle. You'd have to trap and page up through status screens without that kind of display.

Ok, that all sounds really cool...

#7768 2 years ago

That's correct Gabe - the two ramps are now steel

Hmmm... now even more interested (as if that were possible).

#7825 2 years ago

Looks very impressive! Can't wait to see the LE art and get some more specifics on the extra options.

1 week later
#8620 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

+ 1000!!! No way you can release an LE w standard trim...wtf....Art ( including armor) need to scream on the LE!!!...confident you will do just that!!!

Yeah, i hope they are able to work it out so that black nickel or something similar is an option. The only way i see myself wanting a green is if it's something prismatic, textured, etc. like some of these

25826 (resized).JPG

epoxy_polyester_art_type_metallic_strong_style_color_b82220_powder_coating_strong_with_green_on_black_ground_wrinkle_texture_finis (resized).jpg

db_file_img_6890_575xauto (resized).jpg

db_file_img_6367_575xauto (resized).jpg

-Art-Texture-Powder-Coating-Paint-ISO-9001- (resized).jpg

#8651 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

MAJORLY like the 1st and 4th pic, if they go w green...dark w color!!!

Yeah, the fouth (wheel) is my favorite. I'm actually starting to think it might even look a bit better than the black nickel
Of course, as Aurich has said, its probably going to depend on how the LE art turns out.

Btw, anyone know yet who's making the non-reflective glass?

#8665 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm with you, but am confident Aurich will come up with something sick!!!!!
rooting heavily for PDI on the glass.

Same here. I asked Andrew at Expo about what type of glass it was and I recall he didn't have a definite answer but said it would be comparable to what's available elsewhere (don't know if that means PDI, invisiglass, or another).

As an aside, I have to say though, he and everyone else I met from the Alien team seemed like great guys and it was reassuring to hear in person how much they cared about putting out a quality machine befitting the IP.

#8667 2 years ago

Huh?

I'm sorry, perhaps the joke went over my head. Can you please explain for me?

#8682 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

If Heighway can't offer the PDI brand non glare glass option I'm going to order it separately. Hope they can order a shipment in for those of us that want it to satisfy the demand.
I have PDI glass on my TWD and it's like some kind of magic. There just isn't anything better.

Yeah, i might do the same. nbd, as it will just give me the opportunity to order sheets for my other machines as well.

#8691 2 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Has anyone made their payment yet that was due? The whole way it is being handled is kind of odd, then stating not to wire money due to e-mail fraud is a little scary. I'm all about getting it paid but I wanted to have all my options selected and pay for it all at once. Not separate payments and add-ons later and whatnot. Seems like a jumbled mess that could get things messed up later. Wondering how strict on these payments being received and in what time frame they are needed for certain.

I made my second payment via Worldpay, not wire transfer, but probably won't pay for the extra options until the final payment is due. Seems like a lot of them are still in flux anyway.

#8703 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sigourney has stated several times since then (that story is from 2011) that she would love to wrap up Ripley's story, and was on board with doing a 5th film written and directed by Neil Blomkamp (director of Section 9 and a bunch of other great stuff), but Ridley Scott's Prometheus/is-it-an-alien-or-not mess trumped it.

That's correct, she was on board for that which makes me extra-sad that it was shelved for Prometheus 2. Everything I'd read about it made it sound awesome and Neill Blomkamp is a fantastic director who seems to really "get" what people would want in a sequel. Ridley, on the other hand, saw a lackluster response to Prometheus and said "Hey, let's do that again." i didn't outright hate Prometheus and I'm hopeful the sequel will be better, but i just don't see them as ever being in the same league as what Blomkamp was working on for various reasons.

1 week later
#8930 2 years ago

Quickly carved this yesterday for my friend's Halloween party tonight:

IMG_20161029_200156 (resized).jpg

#8933 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

When seen in the dark some kid's parent's will probably call the cops on your friend

Ha, yeah. No kids here, but there have already been some amusing poses with it for pictures

#9021 2 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

WOW! This looks amazing! We need more of those pictures It is better looking then I was hoping for.

Some of these aren't that great, but here you go...

IMG_20161013_222818 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161013_222729 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161013_214441 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161013_214404 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161013_214213 (resized).jpg

#9101 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, this is a machine to get right. I really don't think anyone is expecting it before Feb/March of next year. No need to rush it out. Measure twice, cut once....

Agreed. As much as it pains me to say this, I'd be more than happy to wait longer to make sure everything is "just right."

1 week later
#9268 2 years ago

A couple of things I've recently seen for fans of the franchise:

Alien Queen Tree Ornament:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jgtp/

The Ultimate(ly expensive) Collection of Giger Art:
http://www.werd.com/36739/taschen-hr-giger-limited-collector’s-edition/

1 week later
#9292 2 years ago

Looks great! Any updates on the LE art?

2 weeks later
#9490 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

No worries. The most important thing above all is to ship us some solidly built games that are a blast to play. Send those crappy playfields and PCBs back and make them get it right. That's what I like to hear.

^^^ what he said. Thanks for the update and still excited to see what you all come up with.

#9509 2 years ago

Got the update email from Heighway. No surprises i could see, basically just what Andrew said. Nice to have a little clarity on the delivery order, though I'm a little fuzzy on what this means:

"50%-paid customers – prioritised on original order date AND payment receipt date"

Either way though, I'm just waiting to see the LE art before anything else. I'm sure it will look good though since i don't feel like they've let us down yet in that department.

2 weeks later
#9681 2 years ago

I didn't dislike the can as much as most people but I think I'll like this better. Looks good.

#9747 2 years ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

I am going tomorrow with the Proto Alien Pinball to Freddy's Pinball Paradise in Germany.
So I have done an initial rule sheet in which you are maybe also interested (in English).
http://www.rs-pinball.at/alien-regelwerk/
I have not written down the rules of the single modes till now, but the document will go on.
Br
Stefan From RS-PINBALL http://www.rs-Pinball.at

That's awesome. Thanks!

1 week later
#9944 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Agreed, I think he's just trying to create intrigue so we can see what the LE looks like, I don't think anyone thinks it's a deal breaker. I'm sure the standard art will be available for LE owners anyway.

While it's not a deal breaker for the game as a whole for me, it is one of the main deciding factors about whether I'll ask them to downgrade my LE order to a standard. The other being whether any good-looking alternative powder coat options will be offered.

I was apparently one of the very few still potentially interested in a small backbox screen option, however, so perhaps I'm just in the minority here too.

1 week later
#10008 2 years ago

In case preordering the machine isn't enough for anyone, you can also preorder this for a nice topper:

http://geekologie.com/2017/01/own-your-own-3-foot-long-alien-xenomorph.php

#10013 2 years ago
Quoted from DJKYrtgfsRFw:

You might wanna read the comments on that page before ordering that one... Seems a bit lame.

Oh, i won't be ordering it. Just passing it along. Thought the fact that it was also a preorder thing was pretty funny though.

#10027 2 years ago

Aliens blue, huh? I'm definitely interested in this depending on how the LE art turns out.

#10032 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

"Matt Black"
Heighway have invented a new paint sheen.

You know, it's comments like that that needlessly reinforc the idea that pinball manufacturers can't spell

#10245 2 years ago

Looks great and seems like some pretty significant play improvements from Expo. Well done! Looking forward to seeing an LE next

2 weeks later
#10548 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I have to get back to the LG forum, I'm helping them fine tune a front load washer.

Hmm, I'm actually in the market for a new lg frontloader. Are you telling me i should be concerned that the beacons might stick out too far for my laundry closet?

1 week later
#10930 2 years ago

Congrats guys!

1 week later
#11231 2 years ago

Maybe all the other people that have received theirs just don't want to show any vids or pics because they're worried it will devalue the game if people see how incomplete.... oh, sorry...wrong thread

Very excited to see these make it into people's homes!

...also excited to see the LE art so i can make up my mind <bump for LE art>

1 week later
#11449 2 years ago

Leaning toward blue myself, but waiting for the LE art to decide. I thought this was helpful though:

Quoted from Aurich:

Trim is green or blue, you get to pick. I haven't seen color swatches, so I don't know the exact shades. I'm designing the LE art to work with both, the same way I did the Star Trek package to work with either red or blue depending on Premium or Pro.
Again, haven't seen the powder coat colors, but based on the art and what I think it will all look like I'd take the blue, personally.
I'm hopeful we'll get through the approvals on it relatively quickly, meaning weeks not months.

#11525 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Thats the question no one knows
My bet/hope is on a giger-esque style LE art package

As cool as that would be, i doubt that's the case, considering it wouldn't really match the playfield art, imo. I would be happy to be proven wrong, however.

I'm just betting/hoping for something in this vein

alien_queen_wip_by_uncannyknack-d9z6rzv (resized).jpg

f618778a027834ded88d8442059746a8 (resized).jpg

#11701 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Some real first world problems right here. This is hilarious.

Quoted from jwilson:

Congrats, you guys managed to find something to nitpick. I think this is a new low.
At least it's been civil.

Hey now, I personally find this to be a very important issue and it's upsetting that others do not.

I'm sure once people are informed enough, it will get every bit as much traction as:

Omg-another-preorder!-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-gate
Playfield-art-gate
Andrew's-prior-business-history-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-gate redux
No-Sigourney-Weaver-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-yet-again-gate
Refund-gate
Beacon-gate
Weak-pop-bumper-gate
Doesn't-sound-like-an-80s-machine-gate

(I feel like I'm still missing a few...)

Seriously, the game looks freakin' awesome and every bit what I'd hoped for. Props to everyone working on it.

#11735 2 years ago

Can't recall if this has been answered before, but it's there a headphone jack on Alien?

#11739 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I haven't seen the Fiber Optic ramp lighting but the Madison game has the blade EL lighting on the inner side panels and it looks awesome! it's also a great source of supplemental lighting if you play in the dark.
Check out pics and video in this thread if you want to see what it looks like:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aliens-have-landed-in-madison

They also had the blade EL lighting on a game at Expo. It looks great in person and i fully agree with everyone who's said it's a "must have" upgrade.

1 week later
#11991 2 years ago
Quoted from conester:

My guess is it isn't going to be ready for TPF. I just sent a wire transfer for my 27" screen and PDI glass and asked about the LE art status as well. Below is what they told me:
"In regards to the LE artwork we are still in the approval stage at the moment and are waiting on FOX. As soon as we have approval from them we will be proudly displaying the art work included with the LE."
Seems like FOX are the ones that are slowing the process down, not Heighway. Probably not much they can do besides wait for FOX to get off their asses and approve it!
Brian

Damn, that sucks. It's the only thing keeping me from making my final payment.

Quoted from Hazoff:

Predator 2 was a great film and even if you didn't like it I think it would translate well into pinball modes, I have to ask, Why didn't some of you guys like it? I found it to be like Robocop 2, yeah nothing was going to be as good as the original but they didn't ruin the series or anything, I thought it was a great sequel.

I liked it. It was a fun film. Also: Bill Paxton!

Better than Pretators or either of the AvP movies, imo.

#12007 2 years ago

That would be cool if Arnold would do another pinball, but for comparison, Machine Zone (who makes Mobile Strike) appears to be worth somewhere between 6 and 9 billion $ so that may have had some effect on his decision making to do mobile apps

1 month later
#13162 2 years ago

There have been some suggestions that we have only shipped 2 or 3 Alien games. This is simply not true.
I understand the knives are out for us on Pinside again right now.
We have shipped out a good quantity of games and continue to do so every week. We have a good number of customers with Alien games in 6 different countries right now.
For example, 3 more games left only 5 minutes ago - please see the photo below.
As for the Cointaker shipment - there have been no delays at our end. Please direct any enquiries about the shipment to Cointaker. Their consignment is due to leave very soon in any case.
More parts are coming in daily and production is already ramping up ... and will continue to ramp up until we reach our target of at least 100 games a month

Great to hear. Hope to see more videos popping up soon from owners.

#13315 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Would it be possible to put a smaller screen in and keep the LE artwork?

That was originally my plan when i placed my order, but they said awhile back that the small screen would no longer be an option. It was disappointing (to me at least no one else seemed to care). My current plan was to just typically leave in whichever backglass i prefer and pop in the large LCD when I'm having several guests over (which isn't too often). I don't however, expect to pay more for the privilege....

Quoted from sed6:

The LE buyers who think they are getting four blackglasses I think will be in for a surprise. You're going to get the LE and SE art yes, but it'll other be a set of full images for the no LCD buyers, or a set of the crop jobs for the 27" LCD buyers. I'm going to guess that Highway will make a set of full image backglasses available to LE LCD buyers for an additional $100-150.

That's exactly what i expect. The website for the LE still says:

Exclusive ’35th Anniversary Edition’ Backglass And Sideart (+ Standard Edition Artwork Package Also Included)

so I'd love to hear the Bill Clinton-level explanation from them about the definition of "included" and why i need to pay $100-150 more simply because i already chose to pay them $550 more for the screen. It would be particularly crappy since there's no small screen option to split the difference. I still have faith in them though and suspect this is just another non-issue like so many others that regularly pop up in this thread.

#13401 2 years ago

LE production is also beginning now and we expect to ship significant numbers of LEs in June and July to paid-in-full customers first.

Glad to hear it. I've been paid 50+% for awhile now, but was waiting on a few things prior to paying in full. In particular, any ETA on final pics of the colored powder coat options, the LE "mini" backglass that goes with the LCD, and the gloss cab? I know you have more important things to do at the moment, but seeing those would certainly help me get my payment in.

Also, can you please clear up whether LE buyers that get the LCD will also get both standard and LE full and "mini" backglasses included for free (and, if not, explain what costs how much extra). Thanks!

4 weeks later
#14859 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

I don't see a need to close this thread. it still remains the OFFICIAL GAME THREAD for ALIEN PINBALL. it is full of comments on art, theme, pf features, playability, programming, fixes, streams, etc. Hopefully future discussion will resume along these topic lines, especially once/if more games are delivered.
the circumstances surrounding the development/delivery of the game and the viability/restructuring of Heighway pinball during that time should remain as part ALIEN's historical record.

Like Aurich said, it's not going anywhere either way. The stuff will still remain.

4 weeks later
#15418 1 year ago
Quoted from MattS:

I finalized my LE with Melissa last night, she said the choices are black, green, and chrome.
She expects my game to be at Cointaker in the next 2-3 weeks.
She also said she has had more communication with the new owners in the past few weeks than she did with Andrew in the past 2 years for whatever that's worth.

Wonder how the green is going to look with the LE art?
I really was looking forward to the blue

Still, it's great to hear that these are going out in any capacity.

1 month later
#15753 1 year ago
Quoted from Buju:

Despite immense verbal insults/ frowns/ and general naysayery from my buds in the league, looks like my se with shaker and pdi glass will be sent end of August.

So they are for-sure offering real pdi/roman glass as an option now? I recall there was some mixed info about this back when Andrew was around so i would love to know if it got sorted out.

#15779 1 year ago
Quoted from O-from-DO:

I was wondering, if the featuresheet from early 2017 is still up to date. So I sent some questions to Heighway, because I wasn´t sure to keep my LE-order or better to go for a SE. I got a response from Morgan within 48 hours with all information I asked for. I´m really surprised in a positive way, that they listened to their customers carefully and changed some features to optimize the theme-fitting. Looking at it the other way round the only difference left between a LE and a fully equiped SE seems to be the trim colour and the additional art-package. Here are the answers:
Q: Will the LE really get a glossy cabinet (like mentioned in the featuresheet)? If yes, is it possible to change the order to get a matt cabinet aswell?
A: The cabinets for all versions of Alien Pinball are with a matt finish and not a glossy one. We did in the past have a glossy finish to the cabinet but we came to the same conclusion that you have and thought that the matt finish was a better fit for the theme.
Q: Will there still be three trim-options: green, blue or black? Is the black LE-trim glossy aswell?
A: We are still offering the three trim options and these will also have a matt finish.
Q: How about the fibre-optic ramp lightning? Will they come with the LE? If yes, will the colour fit the theme like blue or green (in Andrew´s video it was pink)?
A: The fibre optic ramp kit maybe removed from the machine because we have had many customers who say that it not a good fit for the machine and the theme. When this decision is final we will inform all customers of the outcome.
A: Will the standard-artwork be included (SE sides and backbox)?
Q: As an LE customer you will receive both art packages from the SE and the LE.
Q: Is there anything else new or different to the already announced LE-features?
A: In regards to your question if there have been any new features added to the machine there have been some improvements. As I have stated we may be removing the fibre optic kit from the machine and we would replace this for customers if we do indeed decide that this is the case. In terms of improvements we have made a lot of improvements to the functionality and the build of the Xenomorph head mechanism.We have also made many improvements in the software of the machine.
Q: Will you offer a factory-installed playfield-protector as an option?
A: In answer to your question about the installed playfield protector I am unsure about this option but I can find out for you.
Maybe these answers help you aswell to make a final decision. I will keep my #055 of 500 in totally matt black and I´m fine with it, as I planed to put on a shaker, the beacons and the illuminated sides anyway. The LE-production should start in September, so the Alien is coming before x-mas. That´s most important...

Happy waiting to all of you and have a great weekend!
Greets from Dortmund
Olli
btw: Big "thanks" to Morgan for this great customer support!

Thanks for posting the answers to these questions. I was wondering about them myself for the same (should i switch to SE) reason, but i was far too lazy to ask myself and was just going wait till some LE pics started to appear

#15793 1 year ago

Great to hear! Glad they worked that out.

2 weeks later
#16130 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Just keep buzzing around whatever you're talking about without actually bee-ing upfront about it.

I see what you did there... well done, sir

#16186 1 year ago

Brought a tear to my eye, frolic. Truly.

#16233 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think you're correct. Either way, there couldn't be too many of us preorder guys left to discount.

Yeah, looks like at one point there were around 90ish LE preorders based on that other "what's your number" thread. Very curious how many have requested/received refunds. Even more curious whether any have successfully downgraded to a standard and how that experience went. Anyone?

As far as the ramps, I'd be fine with almost anything: free shipping, a discount, free PDI, whatever, but would expect some concession, particularly since there won't be a gloss cab either (which is something I wanted even more than the ramps, honestly)

#16235 1 year ago

I did say "almost anything."

#16262 1 year ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I asked them that, they said NOPE! Would have to buy an SE at CURRENT pricing.

If that's true it's going to royally piss me off. If they told you that via email, would you mind posting exactly what they said?

#16279 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I specifically ordered the LE because it was the only way to get the gloss black cabinet.

Same here. I've thus far refrained from asking for a refund of any portion of my two payments because i really still want this pin, but if theyre going to try to screw me out of the preorder prices just because i want to downgrade to a standard after they basically pull a bait and switch, i may just go ahead and request a full refund (and be prepared to do a chargeback). I think it's about time to contact them as well, although i was hoping to wait and see what concession they came up with for LE preorders. Who knows how long that will take though.

#16283 1 year ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Cointaker has said that there will be a refund for all those with fiber optic ramps including LEs. Price unknown yet.

That's some good news at least.

I just sent them an email asking, in part, about both the LE concessions and the possibility of a downgrade, but it doesn't sound like i should expect an answer anytime soon if Morgan is out.

Still haven't decide if i want a standard instead, but if they're going to try to force me into current pricing that's nearly as high as what the LE was when i put down my deposit almost two years ago, I'm likely going to revisit whether i want to be their customer at all.
It'd be a shame if it came to that because this is both a dream theme of mine and it looks to be an excellent game, but I don't see expecting them to honor the prices at time of deposit as being unreasonable, regardless of which machine it's for and im not going to be forced into an LE that's been stripped to the point that it doesn't truly have anything extra i want.

4 weeks later
#16821 1 year ago

Oh, thank god something went out today. As much as i want this game, I think I'd have been out if there was some new delay instead.

Quoted from bemmett:

So anyone gotten any word on the solution for LE owners and removal of fiber optic ramps? Lesser price, different add-ons.........anything??? I have asked Heighway 8 different times and gotten the same "we don't know" answer. Seems a little late in the game to not know if production is really ramping up.

Yeah, i want to know this ASAP as well. Morgan said "soon" in response to my question about a month ago. It really shouldn't be that hard.

#16840 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I was told it would take 12 days to get over to the US.

So we're most likely looking at just over 2 weeks minimum before we start seeing unboxing vids and reviews?

I'm marking my calendar because that will be a critical time

#16900 1 year ago
Quoted from Toads:

It depends on how long ago you pre ordered I guess.
People who pre ordered long ago got a good price on the LE.
But since then heighway of new have hiked up the prices.
The new standard is worth more than the old LE price and heighway won't discount the people who have had previous orders in for the LE.
It was bought up a while ago in this thread.

For what it's worth, i recently asked heighway whether i would have to pay the new standard pricing if i chose to downgrade my long-time LE order. Morgan's response was basically "i can't guarantee that and would have to ask." I'm assuming I'll have to officially request a downgrade to press the issue further, but I'm waiting to see what concessions they have for the LE preorders first.

#17011 1 year ago

While I'm tremendously happy to see this progress, it does kind of bother me that they STILL haven't said anything about compensation for the fiber ramps and gloss cab removal for the LE's. I get it that they're busy, but it seems like that's just a business decision that someone (i.e. someone not on the manufacturing floor) simply needs to make. It doesn't require any design, manufacture, etc. and so shouldn't take away from the other work they're doing.

I'm somewhat concerned that they're kicking the can on purpose so that, once demand is restored via widespread SE's, they're going to use that opportunity to simply tell the early LE pre-orders that they're getting nothing much in the way of compensation and also cannot downgrade to a standard at a reduced price (a "take it as is" or "get out of line" scenario). Sadly, that's maybe what I'd do if I were in their shoes and truly wanted to maximize profit.

Of course, getting any game is great at this point considering all the shit that has gone down, but it still makes a long-time LE preorder like myself feel like crap. I still want my Alien, but pulling something like that (if that's what they do), would not be a good way to keep the goodwill of the customers that have been with them the longest.

#17016 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

They will instill value in the "LE", I doubt all cards are on the table yet (lets not forget the custom armor, along w lit side blades and limited artwork for backbox and sidepanels).

Since I'm setting off on an uncharacteristic bitch-fest today (what? I'm self aware ), that reminds me:

Unfortunately, the custom armor also means very little to me if it looks at all like the last few pics that were shown. The blue and green were far too matte and bright (and just plain ugly, imo), and the black appeared to not even come with black legs? If those are my only options, I'd honestly rather just get my own custom job done.

That said, art means a lot to me and i do still prefer the LE art to the standard. Hell, I'm probably the only person on here that's still a little upset about them ditching the small backbox screen option so i couldn't have both large art and a screen. Likewise, the lit blades and topper are pretty cool and would be the only LE-included upgrades I'd make for a standard.

Anyway, here's hoping they do instill some additional value and my paranoia is misplaced.

#17023 1 year ago

How could they have possibly left the tri-boobed lady off of that? Massive oversight.

1 week later
#17177 1 year ago

I think JJP's PotC looks awesome, and all the more impressive coming from a new designer. Still, with limited space, i need to have a game with a theme i like as well as a good player and Alien is a top tier theme for me, while PotC isn't on my radar at all. So, definitely sticking with Alien for now, although reports rolling in from the next week or two from owners are going to be absolutely critical.

As an aside, the new PotC kind of makes me feel a little bad for Nordman. I think he's an excellent designer and would have also enjoyed seeing what he could have brought to the table with his version if he wasn't hamstrung by costs and had a Keith level coder behind him. Don't mean that as any sort of comparison to Eric, just a random musing.

#17294 1 year ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Wonder what publication he writes for?

The Kaneda Gazette.

#17297 1 year ago
Quoted from royneblom:

Hi All
This is the promised pictures of the first shipping Alien games coming to Sweden.
As promised this tuesday by Heighway pinball , 7 games reached us today
After a very long waiting it was like 2 year since this order was made and paid ,the games now finaly are in our warehouse ( well one in my game room )
The games will be sent out to the new owners this week .
Just had a fast time playing tonight , will do more gaming tomorrow.
So you who are waiting for your games , Heighway now finaly delivers.
Enjoy the pictures

Great to hear and thanks for the pics. Would love to see a video and hear your impressions if you have the chance.

#17372 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

mark, in many of your posts in this thread your extrapolated guess work abounds, and the conclusions you reach/speculate on are often dead wrong. that style is pretty worthless to readers. 600+ posts and your true contributions are minimal.
your kid in the candy store posts over this game since the start of this thread are overwhelming and mostly

your unrelenting support and perception of HP and Andy were incorrect

took a long time for you to finally change your tune

i am spreading facts, not venom. if anyone hurt the alien cause it was you by presenting unsubstantiated information and opinions. based on your comments, others might have been making some very poor decisions regarding this game and company.
and still you continue to speculate. this is the latest pot shot youve taken at me without having any idea who i am - but still you take a guess [or even worse, portend to make one] - in that MK6PIN style.

cant help it if you are a guess/speculate guy and im a logical/facts guy. perhaps i come across as i a "know it all" because i present facts, which are inherently known to be true and not up for debate.

Ok, wow, where to begin....

While i appreciate your desire to single-handedly lead a crusade against Alien "cheerleading" and (repeatedly) offer your opinion on the details of the game design, it's difficult to take you as anything but someone with an ax to grind. Over a third of your posts in your short time since joining pinside have been in this thread and virtually all of your posts are some sort of criticism of the subject game. You seem to post nearly 24/7 in this thread and are extremely quick to respond to any new comments. Your thumbs up/down ratio is pretty poor and you're offering very strong opinions about a game that few have played which seem to primarily be based on videos of prototype games.

While none of those things mean much on their own, taken together, those are the hallmarks of a troll, not someone who's truly seeking to "present facts." We've all seen it before with others that have come before you, both on pinside and other sites.

We're all (presumably) grown here. We don't need you to swoop in and save us with your "truth bombs" or whatever you consider them to be. If you want to offer your opinion anyway, that's fine. Say your peace but then leave. Or, at the very least, move on to a different topic. Given all that's happened with this game, some increased negativity in this thread is more than expected. I've expressed some myself. But, this is clearly not a situation where a lone naysayer is being hounded for offering a contrary opinion. Others have expressed criticism recently here and they haven't gotten the reception that you have. There's nothing wrong with criticisms of either the game or the company, but your presentation sucks. That, and you really are just clogging up this thread.

I don't know whether your trolling is intentional or whether you have an easily-fixated personality and actually think you're in the right, but maybe take a break for a bit. Haunt another thread for a few days. Read a book or something. I think everyone here would appreciate it.

#17453 1 year ago
Quoted from zeddex:

I was in for an LE for over 2 years - no longer in and I had no discussions with Andrew right before he left....however, I had direct discussions with him at the outset and his position was always that Highway covers international shipping to the US distributor so the buyer is only responsible for domestic shipping. I can see how people might have gotten confused, but that was always the position clearly laid out to me and on this forum (obviously I have no idea what other individuals were told privately).

That's also what it said on the Heighway order form.

1 week later
#17938 1 year ago

Awesome to see the positive reactions from those receiving the games! I feel like I can exhale now.

Admittedly, I am still a little nervous with the various issues that delt and others have been having. Though they seemed to all be fairly minor, I ordered direct, pre-Cointaker so presumably I would have to rely on <crickets...> Heighway for any support. Still, it's great to hear long-time pinsiders (who've been waiting a long time) say that they are really liking the game. That speaks volumes.

Now, I wish they'd just at least let us know something about what's planned for the final LE package so those of us with a decision to make can make it. Not saying they have to rush to ship them, but I'd really like to actually know what I'm buying more than a day before they start shipping them.

Quoted from Ferret:

If anyone encounters what seems to be an infinite ball saver or infinite multiball and want to lend a hand, it'd be very helpful if you:
- Jump into the operator menu.
- Insert a USB thumb drive into the game's computer. (Not sure how easy or difficult this is, e.g. if they've run an extension USB cable to somewhere near the coin door...)
- Select Reports > Debug Report. It should advise that it's writing pinprog.log to your USB drive.
- Once it exits back to the menu, you can remove the USB thumb drive.
- Put the thumb drive into your regular computer, where as promised you should see a file called "pinprog.log". Mail that to me at alien<at>joe.tater.org.
The only cause I'm aware of for infinite ballsaver is a hyperactive outlane or trough switch, but if there's some other issue, I would love to fix it ASAP.
Thanks!

If Ferret is cool with it, I feel like this should be keyed or at least reposted in the HWP support thread for future reference. Seems like it could be great for directly troubleshooting software bugs.

For what its worth, the dedication and pride of the those like him who have actually worked on the game are honestly the main reason I didn't get out a long time ago. I love the theme but that can only get you so far and the company itself certainly hasn't impressed so far (though I'm hoping that will change once they get their heads above water). Props to all of you that helped create Alien. After all the drama, it's great that people are finally getting to really appreciate the great pin underneath it all.

#18018 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

What I understood is that the blades non lighted are standard on the SE. The lighted ones are standard on a LE and an extra option for SE.

This has always been my understanding as well.

#18022 1 year ago

Honestly, i would be very surprised if anyone at "New Heighway" is reading anything here.

Would be nice, but doubtful, imo.

#18306 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm not reading your whole post...I get the gist of it--you are a troll and you are trying to bait me. I'm a grown ass man and I stand by everything I said. I'm not getting in a grade school gotcha with you. I don't take pinball that serious. Bigger fish to fry in life. With shit that I have been through in the past few years, pinball is a lighthearted outlet for me. Cheers and good health.

You're so doing it wrong. He went through all the trouble of sifting back through your old posts and wrote that whole thing and you're not even going to take the time to get upset and write a long response addressing each of his criticisms? Why, in troll-speak, you're practically admitting he's right about everything and you're just deflecting because his argument is so strong.

Quoted from Davidus56:

I have another few months before statute of limitations will force me to file a lawsuit (assuming UK mirrors US law). Hopefully I can get satisfaction before then....

Since you seem to have mentioned the lawsuit thing a few times, if you're serious, I'd recommend you start looking into relevant UK/US law differences now and absolutely don't assume anything like a statute of limitations will necessarily be similar.

#18323 1 year ago

If that's really Andrew, not sure i would have bothered posting here again, but i certainly understand why you did.

Really wish you hadn't included this though:

Quoted from AndrewH:

Why did we have many cancellations at the time? A well-known Podcaster here was incessantly posting podcasts aimed at destroying the company.

That's just going to further validate his attention-seeking behavior. Bet it's mentioned in an upcoming podcast.

#18390 1 year ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

May have been discussed and I missed it, but Morgan told me today that to make up for the fiber optic ramp lighting in LEs, the 27" backbox screen will be included. That's fine by me as I wanted the screen in mine, but obviously as an option some may not want that.
Unfortunately still no-go on a downgrade to standard (without paying higher price) so I haven't decided if I want to stay in or not. Production of LEs supposed to start by end of year, so, given I'm deposit only, chances of xmas delivery pretty much zero however this isn't a surprise to me. I personally don't think the LEs add much value, but guessing an LE at previous pricing is a better deal than a loaded Standard -- haven't done the math yet.

Its the first I've heard of that. Wonder when they made that decision as he told me over a month ago that they'd let us know as soon as they reached a decision on it.

Shame about no downgrade to the standard, but the screen seems like a decent concession. Guess I have a decision to make.

#18393 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'd have to do some digging to recall what the 27" screen add-on price was, but for some reason $400-500 comes to mind. CT would need to drop that price for all LE buyers, even if it was baked in to a fixed price offering. Its really just throwing a bone anyway, since the fiber optic addition was 600-800 (again I would need to dig back). Throw in the PDI glass as well as the screen and I'm pacified on this aspect of this cluster-fer.

Seems like $550 was the screen price that I always saw.

#18394 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'd have to do some digging to recall what the 27" screen add-on price was, but for some reason $400-500 comes to mind. CT would need to drop that price for all LE buyers, even if it was baked in to a fixed price offering. Its really just throwing a bone anyway, since the fiber optic addition was 600-800 (again I would need to dig back). Throw in the PDI glass as well as the screen and I'm pacified on this aspect of this cluster-fer.

And $800 for the ramps. Also, was it ever confirmed whether PDI/Roman glass is truly an option yet? I recall there was some lack of clarity on this point...

Apparently Heighway may show their next game at TPF.

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-guardians-galaxy-reveal-heighway-pinball-next-game-timeline-john-trudeau-update/

If that's true, there really needs to be some substantial movement in shipping, refunds, QC, and customer service in the next few months or that will go over like a fart in church, imo.

#18400 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Yep....and $800.00 was advertised add for the fiber. The early adopter LE price still best, if you consider powdered armor, shaker, lit side blades, etc.
Morgan stated this morning they were still targeting Christmas delivery, but couldn't give an exact date.
Long, long wait, but will still be the best value, if you wanted all the bells and whistles....

Yeah, I did the math and there's pretty much no point in cancelling the early LE and ordering a standard from CT (assuming the "free big screen" concession is true at a minimum). If they'd downgrade me to an SE for the early preorder price though, I could still save around $750-1000 after the upgrades I wanted. That's not insubstantial, but I feel like I'd really have to fight with them for either a change or refund at this point.

Unfortunately, I'm not as interested in most of the remaining bells and whistles anymore. Art is kinda still up in the air since we haven't seen the "small" LE art with a big LCD, and if the powdercoat looks like those renderings, I'll likely be requesting mine bare so I can get a better finish done locally. Even seem like the beacons and lit blade art might be DIY-able, and those would really be the only upgrades I'd make to a standard.

Great to hear they're still aiming for Xmas though. I'd probably be fine with mine even shipping next year if we could at least get some concrete info and maybe pics. It's just frustrating to still not even know what's included or really what the full-package will look like. Still a few variables so I guess I'm still holding out to see what it looks like before making a decision.

Quoted from Marv:

3rd Game will be called Hydroball - loosely based on the perils of shipping pinballs via Hydrofoil before the money runs out.
Featuring:
- Man overboard multiball
- Abandon Ship and Flogging Dead horse toys
- 2 More Weeks Hurry Up Mode
- 17 Screens

And one of those screens can run constant train derailment memes while another does an animated "pinside babies" rant podcast

#18414 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Still waiting to see a cool custom painted Xeno Head!

Not sure if it would even be possible, but I was actually wondering if some really creative soul would eventually 3d print a custom queen head to go on the mech. Kinda like the awesome one that was done for the JP T-Rex.

#18459 1 year ago

Nice to hear some final info on the LEs including some upcoming pics. That little bit makes me happy

#18547 1 year ago

So we should be expecting to see another shipment go out this week based on their FB post? Do we know if it's also going to cointaker, or elsewhere? Would love to hear they've upped their QC game.

1 week later
#18713 1 year ago

Got the same email as well. Still nervous but definitely appreciate the communication. I personally don't mind if it takes an extra month or two to get mine so long as, you know, i actually get a working, QC'd machine. Still anxiously waiting on the final LE "reveal" though.

2 weeks later
#18972 1 year ago

Attach32661_20171212_102032 (resized).jpg

#19040 1 year ago

Don't hate it, but don't really like it either. Oh well, black it is then.

#19193 1 year ago

So, it looks to be officially the same cab as the standard, not the gloss cab they originally said? I feel like them dropping this was suggested awhile back, but I don't recall hearing anything definite from them. They completely dodged the question when i asked via email a couple of months ago.

#19241 1 year ago

Well, no surprise, black looks the best by far imo. Thankfully they managed to round up some black legs as well

Out of curiosity, has anyone asked Heighway about getting an unfinished set of the trim/legs with their LE so they can do a custom finish?

3 weeks later
#19570 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They have us by the balls, no doubt about it, not a thing "old money" can do about it.
However, if they plan on making another pinball machine in the future then i think they will find out that karma is a bitch.

Yeah, this is exactly how i feel. At this point I'd be scared to even ask for a refund of my over $5k even though i kinda want to. Seems like i would likely get it (if at all) well after I'd get my LE, so i feel like I have to stay in at this point in order to get something out of this.

I am still genuinely excited about the game though, but ONLY because of all the work that the David, bcd, ferret and the rest of the design folks have put into it and the enthusiasm they have for it. Heighway should praise them all for preventing even more refund requests.

I really do want Heighway to succeed, but sadly, now it's more for selfish reasons. Namely, i actually want support for the game I'm still (hopefully) going to get. That said, i really don't see myself ever buying NIB from them ever again regardless of how this turns out, purely based on the communication issues. Everything else can be somewhat excused or explained away, but that's one thing that doesn't really cost much to do properly and they've royally f'ed that part up, imo.

1 week later
#19697 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man I dont remember.. a long long time ago?

I'm pretty curious about this as well. If you don't mind saying, were you paid in full?

I think we're all just trying to judge how far down the list we might be, although at this point, I'm not sure there's a rhyme or reason to any of it.

#19704 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I emailed them for an update they said they are going to call in 1-2 weeks for rest of payment then machines will be shipped in about 35 days

Well, thanks for the info. Guess it looks like us pre-Cointaker folks are still dangling in the wind.

#19709 1 year ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

I'm glad people are stating this. As someone who ordered it in July, I am actually crossing my fingers that mine is one of the later ones shipped out - in hopes that they see the issues with the ones in the wild and address them.

As someone who ordered well over two years ago, I'm crossing my fingers that i actually get one at all

Yeah that looks right about how many of us feel.

#19744 1 year ago
Quoted from Dano:

In fact I think there's a better chance of me getting it than receiving a refund if that makes any sense which is why I'm still in.

That's exactly why I'm still in as well. Figured they'd just try to ignore or string me along so honestly if i did decide to request a refund, I'd probably just go straight to my card company if i didn't hear something affirmative from them pretty quickly.

Luckily i was only fool enough to make a second payment in 2016, instead of full, but I'm pretty worried my card company wouldn't help anyway because of the amount of time that's passed.

#19799 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Andrew announcing Alien so early was a big part of the problem he created for himself. He had a "new" game at Expo '14, which wasn't even shipping yet to customers, called Full Throttle.
Most people have never played an Alien yet, a bunch of pre-order customers are still waiting for theirs, and its never been generally available yet to buy. It's still a new game.
YEARS of effort and development went into it, it basically broke the company, and it's already being ditched to announce something else, after moving 100 machines?
Alien should be their focus at TPF.

Not to mention, Alien is such a killer theme and (by most accounts) a good playing, well-coded, and amazingly immersive game, so i can't imagine how announcing a new (unknown) game would generate more sales than simply having a few working Aliens there.

#19815 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I heard form very good source that they are wanting to announce game 3 but are getting pressure not to until everybody gets whole,I think an announcement at Texas would be a very bad move

I get that they feel like they need to plan a bit for the future, but imo it's stupid of them to spend ANY more time or money at all on another game until they get their current sh*t straightened out. Every moment they spend with their fingers in their ears, ignoring their current customers, is probably costing them who knows how much future business, for Alien or any new game.

Sadly, even if they did show another game, although it would royally piss me off, it wouldn't actually change anything. I'd still feel like I'd have to stay in because I'd be more likely to get a game than a refund over the next 6 months. I'm assuming they should be at least somewhat interested in me since I still "owe" them at least a couple more grand. At least that's what i tell myself to feel better.

1 week later
#19893 1 year ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I saw a few people mention Cointaker asked them to pay up in full for LE games a month or two ago, how many of you where contacted and what was said? I haven't heard from Melissa in months but after a bunch of issues last year she said I would have the first LE they got lol

Could be wrong, but this is the only one I remember and it was only 2 weeks ago. Would certainly be curious to hear if he's gotten that call yet or if anyone else has heard anything similar from CT though.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I emailed them for an update they said they are going to call in 1-2 weeks for rest of payment then machines will be shipped in about 35 days

#19943 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

I would not send them another penny!!

This would be my guess as to why they're not bothering to respond to you. Nothing more to get from you.

You can post your info here if you haven't already:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-an-alien-refund-request-for-clarity-thread

Good luck.

#20067 1 year ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Sadly I expect that all of these LEs are new orders/money. I am a fully paid preorderer and I have not been contacted. Has anyone on here that fully paid been contacted about their LE preorder?

I have not and i've been in for 2.5 years. Never made my final payment, so they could still actually get more money out of me if they were willing to actually ship me a game.

So do we think these 45 LEs (assuming they exist) have been paid for yet?

Nice to hear someone is getting games, although it sucks that it's none of the preorders apparently.
Meanwhile, I sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting to send them my final payment even though it sickens me to send them another dime, but i feel I'll need to in order to hopefully salvage something out of this clusterf*ck.

As much as I've wanted this game (dream theme, blah blah blah), I'm strongly considering just trying to sell it unopened if i ever get one. No matter how good it is, I'm worried I'll never be able to shake that feeling of disgust when i see it in my home.

#20123 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If you're going to go with the "cargument" then I would say it's more akin to your car missing the heated steering wheel vs the engine.

While i also agree the ramp lighting does not equate to a missing engine, the cost of a heated steering wheel upgrade does not typically cost ~10% of the sales price of a car either.

Though i personally won't miss lit ramps from a looks or playability perspective, they were a big ticket (the largest, i think) add-on for the LEs and that certainly went into the calculus of people's decision on whether to go in for an LE vs. a standard. Now a lot of us are stuck getting an LE (hopefully) that we would probably not have bothered with had we known about all the various changes so we should get at least a little something for that. I get that they're not obligated to do that, but to succeed as a company they need customers, so they really should be concerned with small gestures like that that might help them keep customers in a way that the "be happy you're getting anything" attitude will not.

Oh, that, and actually updating and responding to people who've given them thousands. That too.

#20124 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Reality check. So much more would be spent on legal fees it wouldn't be worth filing a suit. Not even close.

In my experience, that doesn't always stop a lot of people

1 week later
#20173 1 year ago

Sooo..... anyone heard more news on any crates of machines coming to the US?

#20177 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Approximately 2 weeks away.

#20179 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

So the LEs are definitely shipping now.

Apparently. I wonder if they're paying any attention to the "reserved" numbers.

1 week later
#20195 1 year ago

No kidding. I enjoy hearing about people getting parts and games even if it isn't me.

Silence is..... kinda scary

#20285 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

UPDATE:
Received reply from Morgan right away. Very encouraging email.
They are working towards satisfying both the Cointaker shipment AND "early private buyers". What that means exactly will be communicated "shortly".

I really hope so.

Last time he told me they'd be letting "early LE preorders" know something (about what we'd get instead of the fiber ramps) was in August, i think. Still don't recall ever hearing anything official from them about that.

It's almost like they're trying to suck at communication

1 month later
#20595 1 year ago
Quoted from wizzard:

No, that has been cancelled.
Or like new Heighway Pinball said „things in life change“.

That's astoundingly shitty of them if true.

#20633 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The boat isn't leaving until sufficient people have paid in full, and I doubt many people with any clue about the situation are keen to pay in full knowing how flaky the promises are. Bit of a chicken & egg situation.

I told them about a month ago that i would gladly send my remaining payment if they could confirm that my LE was ready to ship. They basically responded "stay tuned." At least they responded

#20678 1 year ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Well looks like CT is out. Got an email from Melissa asking if I’d like to move funds to another game or a refund. She said they’ve been waiting on parts for some games for more than a year and can’t send them money for games if they’ll all end up busted with no help available. I thought HW would do all they can to keep their relationship with CT but it seems to be over.
Nobody in their right mind would order direct from HW at this point, is this it for the company?

Damn, guess that means pre-CT people stand no chance now.

#20698 1 year ago

So let me get this straight:

All the early preorder folks chances of losing everything we've (stupidly) put into this just drastically went up because Heighway's only source of US income was cut off over issues that people are having with games which they ordered way after us?

That's fucking priceless.

In all seriousness, I don't care if there are issues any more. I'd be happy to just pay the remainder for any machine at this point. Were I to ever get one now, I'm 95% sure I'm just going to put it up for sale without ever taking it out of the box anyway.

#20700 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Why doesn't Deepgroot take this over? They're good at bailing out this type shituation....

Nah, they probably have their own Alien pinball that they've been working on since way before Heighway. I'm sure they originated the idea after all...

#20939 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Like others mentioned if I'm a pin company I'm buying this up right now and building as it's amazing

Awesome! I know I'm jumping at the chance to pay for the game a second time.

Andrew should be in fucking jail.

#21272 1 year ago
Quoted from AndrewH:

Statement From Andrew Heighway
I am truly sorry to hear about the turn of events announced today.
In June 2017 I sold my controlling stake in Heighway Pinball Limited – including its commitments and liabilities - to a group of investors who claimed to want to put significant funds into the company, achieve mass production and deliver part-paid and fully-paid games to customers, as well as new machine sales.
Throughout the five years that I ran the company, we developed and sold games up until the time of my departure. This was never a ponzi scheme, as some have suggested. A mix of technical problems, supplier quality problems and unrealistic timeframes resulted in delays that financially crippled the company. We were all committed to delivering games to all paying customers. I personally apologise for the unrealistic timeframes.
There have been suggestions that I stole or diverted company funds for my own ventures. These are very serious accusations and never once have I been interviewed by the police for any alleged wrongdoings. The company’s accountants have never suggested any wrongdoings by me. It can be proven that the company owed me significant monies and not the other way round. I would therefore advise people to refrain from making any libellous or slanderous statements about me – as I will defend myself and my integrity.
I very much regret that the company’s owners have closed the company without honouring its commitments to all paying customers and I wish everyone the best in pursuing their claims against the investors or via the insolvency practitioners.
This situation has appalled me and I am extremely sorry for the anguish that it will inevitably cause.
Andrew Heighway

Seriously go f**k yourself. Or send me my $5500 from 2.5 years ago.

Or, better yet, send me a check and still go f**k yourself. That'd be ideal.

2 months later
#22513 10 months ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

If I got my money back I would probably buy an Alien form some of the people that are selling

I would have considered this as well, if I'd gotten back any of the money i lost to these assholes (both Andrew and "The Pinball Brothers"). As it stands, I'll have to fight off the urge to spit on one if i ever it in person. Given my background, I'm pretty sure I could keep one running, but paying twice for one (and now at a rare-game premium from people that likely paid for it years after i did) just isn't something I'm willing to do.

(before you yell at and/or down vote me, please note i wouldn't actually spit on one. I'm fully aware that the current owners aren't to blame. That said, the experience soured me quite a bit on both this hobby and my love for the franchise so i hope you can understand why I'm a bit bitter)

The only good thing that came from this clusterfuck is it freed up a spot in my room for an ACNC. Have enjoyed speaking with Charlie and Co. for a few years now at shows and have been waiting for one of their games to really catch my attention. Played ACNC at SFGE and loved it (as did the wife), so now patiently awaiting one from a pinball manufacturer that's not completely full of shit.

2 weeks later
#22693 10 months ago

Wish heighway would take a page from the Apple playbook and set up shop again to provide high-priced support/replacement parts to those that ended up with games and use the proceeds to (very partially) pay back all of us that got screwed over. Not ideal for anyone, but presumably gets everyone a little something they didn't have before.

Unfortunately i can't think of a motivation for them to do that unless the Pinball Bros really do plan to try to open up shop again, in which case they'll need the extra goodwill.

Perhaps someone who could avoid extensively cursing at them first should pitch them the idea.

For what it's worth, reading people lucky enough to get one raving about the game does feel like crap, but it's a good game from what I've heard and was created by a lot of talented people that aren't total assholes like the (Heighway) owners. I wouldn't ask that they stop posting their opinions of the game and will still follow the thread if only to see what news pops up about the company going forward.
(Hopefully that's not too much complaining)

#22743 10 months ago
Quoted from sed6:

Shit. Nope paid in full via wire transfer in March 2017. Any possible recourse for me?

Highly unlikely it will do you any good, but contact Mark at MB to make sure you're at least listed as a creditor.

Quoted from oyvindmo:

The meeting was pretty uneventful. There were two main points on the agenda: first to affirm that the company should be wound up voluntarily, and second to appoint a liquidator. The investor group was present, and a few of the larger creditors had submitted proxy votes, and Mark Bowen of MB Insolvency (http://mb-i.co.uk/) was unanimously elected.
One note: Registered creditors have received or will receive a detailed creditors' report, so anyone with a stake in this issue should contact MB with a proof of claim, at the very least to stay informed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
9,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Goteborg
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside