pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manadams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27004 3 years ago

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what these extra parts are worth?

1) Lower PCB main board
2) Middle PCB main board
3) Upper PCB main board
4) Alien Motherboard Computer
5) Alien Hard drive
6) IO board
7) FULL set of replacement plastics PETG (Very Hard to find)
8) Power supply board
9) Audio Amplifier
10) 6 Coils
11) Bunch of LEDs and Proprietary switches
12) Trough Opto emitter boards
13) 3 Alien Pop sculp
14) 3 Alien Pop LEDs
15) Full Alien head with servos and tongue stepper board
16) Replacment Facehugger
17) 4 complete stand up targets and Bunch Stand up target LED's
18) Backup set of Cliffy Alien Scoop & magnet

#27017 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Ask for whatever you payed, that would be fair. I am sure all parts will be sold soon.

Not looking to sell the parts necessarily, just getting an idea of value because they're included in the game I'm buying.

#27022 3 years ago

Getting so many pm's about parts I can't reply to them because I've reached my limit for the day that Pinside allows. Not looking to sell the parts with my inquiry about the value of them for now, just needed an idea in case I sell or trade the game and extra parts in the future.

#27026 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'd say ball park of about $2000 to $2500.

Thank you for the estimate.

#27028 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Note, that estimate was for the original cost which may be different than their worth.

Gotcha

#27037 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Congrats and welcome to Alienland!!
As with any club thread, you'll be able to decern pretty quick the valuable info vs. silliness contained here.
Alien has a long, and unpleasant history at certain points (stated as a week 1 adoptor). I distance myself from commenting on certain posters intents, opinions, or statements (though some are 100% spot on) as it doesn't help the community. If you've been in here long enough, you know exactly what is going on. You learn to bite your tongue and move on, as there are also some amazing people who have contributed in large part to keeping these games whole, original state, and living.
Keep your stash of parts - you may never need most of them, but they retain value for those that have different versions of the game. Highly recommend putting on the ENTIRE set of PETG plastics however...very important. If you ever decide to sell any parts, I'd suggest identifying Pinsiders that are truly vested in the game and plan on keeping it. You will still get top dollar, and not contribute to the growing culture of FS ads "works 100%", knowing full well it was cobbled from parts. Just my take.
Alien is a one of a kind, amazing game, that deserved a company to see it through. Didn't happen, but it got close enough that the final run of games were (are) mostly trouble free.
Enjoy!!!!....mark

Thanks for the wise advice, looking forward to getting and experiencing it!!!

#27074 3 years ago

I will be getting my game in a few weeks and have a question about hooking a sub to it. I alligator clip to the cabinet speaker for external subs on all my games, is this a safe method with Alien or should I choose a different method?

#27076 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'd listen to it first...best fidelity of any game I own ...bass shakes machine already

I like my games loud and plenty of bass. Can't really beat an external sub even with the most expensive audio kits. I had a sub on my ACNC and that it probably considered overkill to most.

#27084 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

You can clip on to the cabinet sub to an external sub if you'd like at your own risk . This game has a nice drive system already.
Adding the sub will certainly create massive bottom end...enjoy!!

Don't want to risk anything haha but I figured I would ask if anyone has tried this already with their game. Maybe the stock set up will be enough for me.

2 weeks later
#27267 3 years ago

I may have found a bug in the new 1.4 software. I miraculously made it to "all out war" and my scoop would not detect a ball. I pulled the glass and scoop switch was registering in test just fine. I've had this happen before on 1.2 so it may just be a usual quirk of the game, only have had the game for a week so don't know all of the documented issues.

1 week later
#27382 3 years ago

I'm getting a ball jam in scoop most of the time during any mulitball when multiple balls enter it. Any tweak/fix recommendation for this?

#27434 3 years ago

All of my flippers died during ambush multiball and looks like all coils in test are not working. Coils will just barely move in test. I re-seated all usb cables and looks like some have been upgraded but not all. Here is a video of driver board and farthest transistor to right is blinking if that means anything. Any ideas what the problem might be?

#27449 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

All of my flippers died during ambush multiball and looks like all coils in test are not working. Coils will just barely move in test. I re-seated all usb cables and looks like some have been upgraded but not all. Here is a video of driver board and farthest transistor to right is blinking if that means anything. Any ideas what the problem might be?

I am measuring voltages on the power supplies in the game. Since they are not marked what the individual connections are, here are my measurements and hopefully someone can tell me if they are good. All measurements are taken from individual wire connections to ground.

Big power supply:

left green wire=-5v
right green wire=-5v
left red/white stripe=+60v
right red/white stripe=+60v

Small power supply:

left black wire=-5v
right black wire=-5v
left yellow wire=+6.23v
right yellow wire=+6.23v

My guess is the big power supply +60v needs adjusted up to +70v, if that's what the voltage adjustment screw on it controls.

20200820_175956 (resized).jpg20200820_175956 (resized).jpg20200820_180016 (resized).jpg20200820_180016 (resized).jpg
#27452 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not sure where you are measuring, but be careful please!!
"Big" supply is a switching 70vdc output
"Small" supply is a switching 12vdc output
"L" and "N" is 115v AC in the US. That will light you up, so suggest you avoid those.
just put your DMM on DC voltage - red to +, black to -. You can read the voltage, amperage, etc. on the sticker on the side of each unit....thinking you might have your meter setting wrong....

Meter is set to DC voltage. On the Big supply I am measuring +60v on each red/white stripe wire to ground, is that too low for the 70v system? The small supply I get +6.23v on each of the yellow wires to ground, I'm guessing that they are added together for the 12v.

#27453 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Meter is set to DC voltage. On the Big supply I am measuring +60v on each red/white stripe wire to ground, is that too low for the 70v system? The small supply I get +6.23v on each of the yellow wires to ground, I'm guessing that they are added together for the 12v.

I adjusted my 60v up to 70 and all coils still not working so my power supplies are good. Is there a specific I/O board that only controls the coils?

#27458 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Just measure + to - at the supply. Black and yellow give you 12v, red white strip to green for 70v.
Silly question ( which I forgot to ask other guy w flipper problems) are both voltage selector switches set at 115v? ( PS and driver board)...I'm sure you'll get it...

Yep 12v and 70v tested good.

#27459 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

My 12v and 70v power has tested good. I ordered some shielded usb cables to replace three that are not shielded. I tested all coils again and some are working, some just get a slight bump and some do not work. All pop bumpers, cab and backbox lights, beacons and shaker work. All flippers, slings, left eject and auto launch get a slight bump. All other coils do not work. I swapped out #3 I/O board with a spare and no change.

#27465 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

I was having issues with the inserts on my machine and found that the IO connector on the main led pcb was riddled with dry joints.
As the coils also attach to this pcb maybe take it out and resolder all connection on the led pcb.

I'll look into that, thanks.

#27476 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I usually like to start troubleshooting at the point of the problem and work backwards. For example, start at the non-functioning or partially functioning coil.
In your case where coils driven by multiple I/O boards are not working but some are, I suspect the problem is a blown fuse or lies in the connections between the power supply board and the I/O boards. It's also possible there is more than one problem.
Have you checked the fuses on the Power board (board in the bottom of the cabinet)? If not, remove the cover and check that all the leds are on.

All fuses are good. I've swapped out I/O boards #0 & #3 with a spare with no luck, going to try #1 & #2 when I am not working next. I have a spare PS board to swap out also.

#27479 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I just took a look at my machine, as I haven't had to do any electronic troubleshooting yet on a Heighway game. The first thing I noticed is there is no common ground like a ground braid, running throughout the machine. This makes it difficult to connect the (-) probe of your meter to measure individual voltages. To fix this, I added a wire to a ground point on the I/O board of the coil I wanted to check. Note, I checked that the gound of the board I was looking at was connected to the ground of a different I/O board so you only need to connect the (-) terminal of your meter to one ground point for all measurements.
[quoted image]
If you don't want to add a wire, you can also pick up ground at pin2 on the THROUGHPOWER connector. If you do this, I would recommend clipping pin1 or putting some electrical tape around it to keep from accidentally shorting it to ground.
[quoted image]
Back to the coil problem. Although I doubt you have an individual coil problem, here is some general information on how to troubleshoot a coil issue. Excuse me if you already know this as it may help someone else.
Coil operation: 70V (purple wire) always on when the coin door is closed (both terminals of the coil should measure 70V). Control line of the coil momentarily pulled to ground when the coil is activated.
I can think of the following reasons why a coil won't work correctly:
1 )70V power not getting to the coil.
a. broken or poor connection from the power supply to the I/O board.
b. broken or poor connection from I/O board to the coil.
2) Broken or poor connection from the control line to the coil.
3) Coil filament broken.
For your issue, I would start with one of the partially functioning coils. Put the game in test mode and check the voltages at each terminal of the coil with respect to ground when not activated and when activated. Remember to close the coin door when making measurements.
The 70V on the purple wire shouldn't drop much when the coil is activated. The voltage on the control line should go to 0V but this is hard to measure with a DVM because the pulse is short.
If it’s not clear what is wrong, repeat the process on a working coil and compare the results.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

#27486 3 years ago

Is this the latest firmware for the I/O boards?

20200820_220654 (resized).jpg20200820_220654 (resized).jpg
#27488 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Update the "IO2". They should all be running .9 Pretty easy through settings menu.

Good eye!!! I thought they all said ".9" at first glance.

#27507 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So problem solved, issue was somewhere on power supply board. Swapped it out with my spare and good to go now.

1 month later
#27641 3 years ago

What's the current going rate for a working I/O board?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manadams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.