• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8580 2 years ago

My search-fu is letting me down right now. I have looked at the design of both Heighway machines and the side rails seem really wide/think over the glass. I've also read about some "system" that allows you to swap between games. Is that the reason the boarder around the glass is so thick? If so, does anyone have a link with more info about it?

The aliens design looks very promising from what I've seen so far. Looking forward to playing it!

2 weeks later
#9162 2 years ago

Admittedly, this question is a little facetious, but....

Is anyone thinking about doing a "topper" like the T2 Terminator with Machine Guns, but with an alien loader twist?

T2-topper (resized).jpg

aliens-powerloader (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#9332 2 years ago

The Bug Hunt teaser looks pretty sweet! Looking forward to seeing the announcement of the other changes/refinements. Also resisting the urge to pre-order.

3 weeks later
#9623 2 years ago

Slightly off topic, but are there any topics or videos or blogs or anything that talk about how the lighting effects are done at Heighway?

I'm not going to lie, I'm completely ignorant about what technology is "under the hood" in Heighway machines. Probably not too hard to look up, but I'm more interested in the process and the software. Specifically, do you guys have your own proprietary software for sequencing the lights or open source software or does someone code it all out by hand (I can't imaging the latter in this day and age).

I'd assume some sort of "virtual" environment for trying things out. But, just curious about the dev process and the tools you have available. If you can comment or link to anything, I'd appreciate it.

4 weeks later
#10053 2 years ago

I probably missed it, but are there any pictures of the "Fibre" Optic Ramp Lighting? Also, how much are the yellow beacon lights part of the game play (I'm assuming they come on for different modes and such and aren't just trying to attract people to coin up)?

The reason I ask is that, I'm leaning towards the Standard edition but, wasn't sure how much impact the ramp lighting or beacons have on the game.

I might have to wait until some are delivered to find out, but thought I'd ask!

#10064 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Fiber Optic on Full Throttle:
» YouTube video

Can you (or anyone) compare the Fiber Optics on the ramps rom Full Throttle to Tron? The ones on the Tron LE I've seen are totally awesome. The ones in that Full Throttle video don't instill same sense of awesomeness to me. But, sometimes it's hard to tell from a video of the true impact.

Hopefully, there be one in my area I can check out..

#10068 2 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

In another portion of the thread I believe Andrew confirms that the ramp lighting is done by the same person/people who did the Tron LE ramp lighting.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing them in action!

1 week later
#10322 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Not that it would matter to me (If I ordered the Aliens game) but maybe this is what's bothering people...
not the height as much as the shape. IIRC the beacons looked more like the first type than the second, but what do I know... (close to nothing)
The beacon shape wouldn't matter to me at all, though.

Yeah, I like the "squared-off" light better, but I like the taller light better than a low profile one. I want the light sweeping around the room "proper"-like!

Quoted from J85M:

If there is a self destruct mode/hurry up with the beacons going with playfield flashers and some of the GI out that's going to be great and really immersive, if there are plenty of moments like this in alien then the last thing anyone is going to be worried about is the size of the beacons.

I'm hoping for that too. Can't wait to see one in person!

1 week later
#10542 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

We had beacon-fest and now board-gate, <snip>

I saw your avatar and read "bacon-fest." Now I'm hungry. Thanks!

Really hoping this game makes it to the North West Pinball and Arcade Show this June!

3 weeks later
#11463 2 years ago

Man the game looks really immersive. Hoping to see some more videos of other options (like fiber optic lighting) so I figure out which options to pick!

#11509 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I think I've seen enough videos. I ordered the LE today.

Seriously. I was catching up on the Aerosmith thread yesterday and watched a couple of videos of people playing and thought how underwhelming it was compared to Alien. Sure, the artwork is nice and all that and I suspect Aerosmith may be a good game overall (it still has work to go), but, man, Alien blew it out of the water.

I think what really sets Alien apart is the music/sound. The background Heartbeat/Breathing sound really drew me into the game. Just seems much more intense/immersive/engaging. I don't really care to watch videos of other people playing games (I still don't get how these people on YouTube are almost millionaires but different topic), but I don't mind watching some pinball videos to see how a game plays. I don't think I've ever been drawn into a game like I was watching Alien. Not sure if other people feel the same, but Alien is almost certain to be my next pin purchase.

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

#11537 2 years ago

I know Aurich said he had artwork we could use to cover the lower flipper "blank" space. Is there also artwork for the upper flippers? I'm guessing that once that plug is black it'll be fine, but just curious about potential options...

3 weeks later
#12195 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Crap, now I want to add coin mechs too. Anyone know their cost?

If you want real mechs they are about $10.

If you just want to be able to drop in a quarter or a token (or whatever) then you can get the Any Coin mechs for about $3. I use them in all my arcade machines and my, currently, lone pinball machine:

https://www.arcadeplastics.com/any-coin-v3-replacement-arcade-coin-mechs

#12238 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Thanks Lamprey, I've not seen these before.
Just to clarify .. its 3 bucks if you buy 50 or more. Its $8 for 1.
Check the site for qty pricing.

LOL, good catch. I remember spending about $5 each when I bought a bunch of them a while back. I saw the "$3" and thought that they just had lowered their prices since last time I bought. I guess not so much.

4 months later
#15765 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Polk PSW10 .. they go on sale from time to time for less than $99
https://www.adorama.com/pkaam1055c.html

Currently $89 on Amazon:
amazon.com link »

#15771 1 year ago
Quoted from libtech:

Finished customizing my Alien, beacons check, powder coated check, my idea was have it be a colour that looked black in most light but green in direct light, but had some silver flecks to give it a spacey feel lol, I like it

That looks really sharp! Is it a custom color or does it have a name/designation?

I suspect it'll be a while before I can get one of these bad boys. But, if I was to do custom powder coating, I think that'd be the color I'd want.

#15821 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can not get the stream to play for me. Are all lights working well in the new version?

Not sure if it's a fluke, but I can't get the stream to play in IE but I can in Chrome....?

2 weeks later
#16176 1 year ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

These are very well thought out points and observations. Read them again and don't take them lightly. FWIW, I was a HUGE supporter of this pin. Then came the false timelines, then the lies, then so on & so on. I bailed and got my refund. (Thank you Cointaker!) What I think will kill it for many other potential Alien customers is the price increase, necessary as it may be. It is now in a different league.
Simply stated, I think this pin was rushed to production-if you can call this 'production' and if you consider 3+ years 'rushed'-but I feel that is the main crux of this pin. Sad, too. because what an awesome theme! But fraught with S O M U C H drama that I'm simply disgusted with it and will probably not look back. I am NOT bashing the pin, just the illegitimacy of it's backstory.

Assuming that the game doesn't have issues, then I don't think the price increase will kill it. At its initial offering price it was considered ,by many, a bargain. I didn't quite think that is was a bargain, but given the other competitive offerings of stripped down games with shoddy construction, even the new price doesn't look egregious. Certainly, the price increase doesn't help, but I think there are a lot of people that really want this pin. I know I had a blast playing it and hope I'm able to get one around the new year.

1 week later
#16389 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

OK thanks. I really just want those beacons.....wonder how much they would be sep. Def get them if they are interactive with game.

Depending on how much of a DIYer you are, you can add beacons on the cheap if you are willing to do a little work:

ebay.com link » Rotating Beacon Warning Light Lamp Spiral Fixed Abs 12vdc 220vac Lte 1101

1 month later
#17061 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm also thinking about those pinstadium lights but worried it's going to make it too bright (even with it being on low) but also the reflections of the lights that you see (they connect to the sides of the frame). The cost also jumps significantly to 245 when you add necessary options. Thinking of waiting to see how it looks in my house first before buying. Anyone else picking them up?

I only have The Shadow, so I made my own "stadium" lights. Since I didn't need GI dimming it was pretty simple.

I can't remember how Alien works with regards to GI and dimming. So, getting a Pinstadium set with the GI dimming modal might be the way to go. If the GI is simply on or off, then a basic relay would be all you need to roll your own.

I'd be curious how dim the Pinstadium lights can go. I suspect they'd be brighter than I'd like for Alien.

#17075 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Have you posted what you did? Interested in checking it out because even though I have a pin Stadium kit arriving in a few days I want to make a basic lighting kit for my big hurt pinball.

I haven't posted anything about it.

It's Pretty straight forward on The Shadow. I just made a small adapter for one of the "J" power connectors on the power driver board (J116 in my case) and wired a barrel jack extension to that. Attached the LED strip to an angled channel and used magnetic tape to attach an angled channel to the inside on my mirror blades.

If you want to know more PM me and I can let you know the parts I used and/or I can post something in the Shadow thread.

6 months later
#21062 1 year ago

I haven't been tracing pinball stuff to much lately but, I checked in a couple weeks ago and saw that a container was being prepared. Last Monday I was on CoinTakers site and thought about putting in an order for an Alien pin, but decided to hold off because I was busy with some family matters. Fast-forward to today and I see that my dreams of an Alien pin are all but gone. Sad days.

I feel bad for all the people that last money on this "deal." What a wild and shitty ride for you.

Assuming there is actually a container with games in it, I'd love to be able to get one!!! Such a fun game! Oh well.

RIP Alien

#21235 1 year ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Not if those someone are the ones who currently own Heighway Pinball Ltd. Too much baggage from this fiasco to get going in this small and fickle industry, I suspect.

I'd disagree with you only because I know so many people that like pinball and buy machines, but don't know shit about what goes on outside of their own game rooms, and frankly, don't care. If it's a game available through a retailer/distributor that they like they'll buy it.

1 week later
#21747 1 year ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Sorry if this has been mentioned as I've been trying to keep up. It seems Andrew had NDAs, (amoung other contracts) with many people and was happy to threaten legal action against anyone he felt was in violation of threatened his company. That said it seems he had breached many contracts with employees, vendors, landlords, etc. Is ANYONE considering legal action for his breach of contract(s)? It seems unbelievable to me that someone can burn so many people and sail away without any legal recourse.
My sincere apologies to everyone that had the displeasure of crossing paths with this guy. How a person like this can look at themselves in the mirror every morning and not feel total shame and remorse is completely beyond my comprehension.

Andrew might have said things to people but, with few exceptions, he was acting on behalf of a company (Heighway Pinball). So, you, generally, can't take legal action against an individual, but you could against the company. That is if it existed anymore.

#21863 1 year ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Serious question: anyone have an alien translite/backglass for sale?

I don't, but I do have one of the 28" limited edition LE Backglass posters from Brian Allen. Was really looking forward to hanging that in a room with an Alien pin. But, I don't think that's going to happen now. I wonder if there is any market for the signed & numbered poster?

1 month later
#22327 11 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Welp, this showed up today. Still not entirely sure what to do with it, gonna sit in the box for the moment. Some damage to the box itself, game inside seems fine, just tore a little hole in the box. Says LE with black trim, haven't confirmed anything.
I've had people asking me if I'll sell it long before I got it, but until it was here I wasn't really ready to think about it. It's a little sad, but right now I'm inclined to turn it into as much cash as I can get for it and feel like I got paid at least something for all that work. I just don't know that I want to look at it every day.
Time to ponder I guess, but in the meantime here's one of the last pieces of the saga, one of the last games made.

Damn. Having been through a bunch in my professional career, I can only imagine what you are going through right now (and have gone through). I absolutely love this pin and wish they were being made so more could appreciate it. I understand your desire to get paid. My suggestion is to let things chill for a bit and see if that changes. It might sound odd, but there is something special about having something you worked on: especially a pin.

1 month later
#22800 9 months ago

Speaking of PETG, does anyone make a plastic protector set for Alien? I haven't seen one, so just double checking.

Also, if you were to add some PETG fender washers, what size would be best? I was guessing 3/4" but maybe some different sizes would be applicable to different spots?

#22811 9 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If anyone wants to tackle a protector set that they'd be willing to make for people who are interested, sell them, make a profit, I don't care, so long as people can get one, I'd be happy to provide the vector outlines for all the plastics.

I don't have my machine yet. But, I'd be interested in vector file(s). Worst case is I can get them made by an online service like Ponoko or something.

It sounds like the plastics are too thick to add a protector in stock form, so one might have to change posts to allow for a protector. Hopefully, I'll find out soon what can be done.

It also sounds like it might be a good idea to get new plastics made that are of a better material. I don't know if anyone has scanned the plastics or not. If not, I might take a stab at it.

#22819 9 months ago

My search-fu is weak today... Can someone tell me what the dimensions of Alien are? Specifically, the width of the cab (not backbox) and the distance from the front of the backbox to the front of the machine?

Thanks!

#22852 9 months ago
Quoted from adamross:

Sadly this didn't help. I suspect I might need to replace the stepper motor... any idea where I might find one of these?

There are a couple of other threads that you should bookmark:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien

PartyKing is probably correct that the gear is slipping. But for reference, here are some of the parts:

Stepper Motor:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/trinamic-motion-control-gmbh/QSH4218-35-10-027/1460-1074-ND/4843425?utm_adgroup=General&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuMrXBRC_ARIsALWZrIgBIk10-DKkcOBVESjjv2sYmebGr-7gH1suGwnnIO-5P3zwEnRZwJoaAng7EALw_wcB

Gear (Pinion 32P 28T 010-0065-06):
ebay.com link » New Castle Creations Cc Pinion 32p 28t 010 0065 06

Servo Motor (upgrade with metal gears)
amazon.com link »

#22863 9 months ago

Does that LED PCB have any other "stuff" (logic/resistors, etc) on it? Or is it just the LED and the legs to plug it in?

I was thinking about ordering some spare LEDs, but if the PCB itself can go bad then that changes things.

#22893 9 months ago

Speaking of face huggers.. I seem to recall the ones on the early (prototype) machines seemed to break rather easily. Did they change the face huggers or are the home machines just not getting the play that the location machines where?

I guess I'm getting to, is there a source for replacements?

If they are prone to breaking, I'd almost rather take out the originals and put in some cheap ones from china or wherever if replacements aren't available.

1 week later
#22953 9 months ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Hi guys ! I thought I saw a post b4 but couldn’t find it.
Does anyone know how to adjust the pf monitor.
Thank you to all

I Don't have my game yet, but I thought it was just four screws that are used to level it.

#22973 9 months ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yeah. Dont know how I'd go on in life having to settle for an SE. Oh, the horror.
[quoted image]

The dude is frustrated because he put down a deposit on what he was promised and didn't get it. No need to be a dick about it.

#22992 8 months ago

I was finally able to add an Alien to the lineup. I've wanted this pin since I played it several years ago an the Northwest Pinball and Arcade show. Not the route I had hoped my first NIB purchase would be, but still super pumped! Hopefully, I can keep her running with the support of the community.

Just need to get beacons installed and cliffy's and I should be set!

Alien (resized).jpg

Even got a blanket (towel) to tuck her in at night (mostly).
towel (resized).jpg

#23032 8 months ago

Is there a setting to enable sound during attract mode or no?

#23039 8 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I think your right. The Pinstadium lights are nice, but they kept falling off, I dont think I installed them right because the adhesive on the magnetic strips aren't sticking good. I may just remove them completely and use the game as it was made from the factory. My opinion about adding extra lights to a game is kind of like a director making a movie. The game was designed to be this bright or that dark.. its what the designer wanted. Makes sense?
Mo

I don't disagree that Alien is a dark theme. But, it's hard to say what the designers were going for. It you liken it to a movie example, I see lots of people that buy a TV and use the out of the box settings where there is black/white crush and other badly calibrated issues. Most people wouldn't even notice or care, but I bet the director would cringe.

My point is, I find it hard to believe they put artwork on the play field that they didn't expect anyone to see while playing; which you can't if you play in the dark. Did the designers not expect people to play in the dark? I know I'd like to see the art.

My thought is there has to be some middle ground here. Ideally, I'd like to tie into the existing lighting, but that may be more difficult than I want to bother with. I've also thought about some high quality UV lights (not the purple ones) that would cast a little light without being too bright. It just seems this pin isn't very conducive to adding a touch of light in a way that integrates well.

I even thought about getting some glow in the dark flipper rubbers to help non-pin people know there are two other flippers on the playfield.

#23050 8 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Well I decided to replace the Pinstadium lights with the EL blakdes that Sunking posted about. Pretty pricey.. I hope its an easy install, but that should make my machine as close to an LE as possible, just no plaque. Anyone else have custom EL blades?

I was pretty sure I had seem people mention making some, but I'm not finding the post(s) in my search.

If you do take the plunge let us know the details. I'm contemplating doing the EL panels myself. But, I was wondering what the LE panel dimensions are so I can match it up to how they are done.

#23088 8 months ago

Has anyone installed a trough liner/magnetic jam protector in an Alien? The only one I know about is from PinBits, but I wasn't sure if it'd fit in an Alien.

One of these:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=449

Just curious as I've only played the game a dozen or so times (waiting on Cliffys scoop protector) and I had 3 balls get magnetized and cause jam-ups in the trough entrance. I may have just been unlucky and they were magnetized before I put them in, but it only seems to be an issue in the trough.

#23089 8 months ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Second test was made today and will be shipped to me asap. If the colours do match we think about producing the first full set and put it in my machine.
[quoted image]
It seems that there will be space enough to make also some plasticprotectors for under the "most breakables". But this will follow after the plastics itself and depends on demand.

Looking good!

#23096 8 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Are you using the balls provided by the factory? Those seem to become super magnetic for whatever reason. Swap 'em out...

No, I opened the package and didn't even bother with the factory ones. I'm using carbon steel ones from the Ball Barron. They have been sitting around for several months, so it's possible something happened to them before I added them. It may have been a fluke. Same thing happened on my LOTR: First day two balls magnetized and a month later I haven't had any issues.

1 week later
#23212 8 months ago
Quoted from angusb:

Hi all. In case people have interest, I was in touch with Daniel at Free Play in Sweden today, having seen the following; http://www.free-play.se/en/new-stuff.html He says he hopes to have a wider range of Alien spare parts by early October. PCBs, IO Boards, and a variety of other parts. Clearly this works best for those in Europe but he did mention that he thinks/ hopes that a US pinball part seller may join him him in offering Alien parts later in the year. Loving my LE too. Didn't put a shaker in mine!

Very cool.

If anyone in the Seattle area wants to order stuff and also wants to share shipping costs, let me know. I'm interested in some face huggers.

1 week later
#23249 7 months ago

So, I got my Cliffy scoop protector the other day, so I'm installing that and upgrading the plastic xenomorph gear to the metal one, cleaning and mylaring.

So far so good. But, when the xenomorph extends it bumps the teeth on the lower jaw. Is there a way to adjust the jaw to open a bit further? I've run the calibration and other tests, but I don't see a way to adjust the jaw like I'd like. Do you have the manually, bend the wire that attaches to the servo?

Any help appreciated.

#23252 7 months ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Did you check that the jaw isn't hitting the targets?

I did and it is not.

I just held the servo in place and forced the jaw down a little (bending the wire that connects to the servo slightly). That seems to have sorted it.

#23257 7 months ago

So, now that I've gotten everything setup, I've been playing a bunch more. Unfortunately, I'm having one small issue that I can fix, but was curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Sometimes, as in just about every other game, a ball stays at the every start of the trough. This then leads to a ball coming in on top of it that jams up the hole. I was just going to add some foam or something to the start to prevent this.

Not a huge deal. Just curious if anyone else is or has experienced this?

Also, the playfield is level side to side and the pitch is at 6.8 between the slings and 7.5 in front of the xenomorph.
trough1 (resized).jpgtrough2 (resized).jpg

#23272 7 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

If you haven’t already done so, try replacing the balls.

Balls have been replaced by Ball Baron Carbon Steel ones.

Quoted from Durzel:

+1
Magnetised balls?

I did have a couple magnetized balls when I first added them, but I double checked and they are not magnetized.

Quoted from knockerlover:

PSA: just a reminder to not use high carbon steel balls (silver jets) in games with magnet features...
Now back to your regularly scheduled program..

I think you mean not to use Chome Steel. But yeah, got that covered!

#23273 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I had that I used a 1" half round file and filed the bottom of the playfield from above though the top, but the bottom right edge, just enough for both balls to fit through the hole

Interesting. That is a good solution. I was hoping for something a little less invasive, but that may be the best route to go.

I was thinking about this when I had two magnetized balls. I swear I bought one of these for my Shadow, but I can't seem to find it any place. I might pick one up to try. I'm guessing it'll have to be modified a bit for Alien, but might be worth a shot.

1 week later
#23366 7 months ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

knockerlover (I love that name by the way), do you by chance have ramp entry flaps? Mine were rusted upon arrival of NIB. Thank you.
[quoted image]

You should be able to clean them up as KnockerLover suggested. But, if you wanted to make some that won't rust you can get some stainless steel shim stock and cut your own.

ebay.com link » 007 Stainless Steel Shim Stock Roll

#23396 7 months ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Thanks for letting me know.
I just measured the voltage on one of the beacon lights and it shows me 8 volt. The lamps are 12 Volt. I attached them to an external 12 Volt power supply and they are a bit brighter and rotating a bit faster. So my question is: Can anybody please confirm that they have 8 Volts on the beacons as well? That'd be great.

There was a software update that applied less voltage to the beacons. Is it supposed to be 8 volts? I don't know, but certainly much slower than that video.

#23405 7 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I guess it took a good whack during transport does anyone have replacement parts ?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Doh! bummer. You could try contacting Wayne and see if he has those replacement parts.

#23427 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

check the ball launch spring like the VUK we changed to a weaker one

Are you talking about the trough up kick? If so, which spring did you change to?

#23430 7 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

i actually do have it. easy swap. heard old one hard to remove

If the old gear doesn't slid off, then you can whack it with a chisel and hammer (Or torque it with some pliers) and it'll crack right off.

Normally, I like to keep the parts I remove, but in this case the gear is garbage.

1 week later
#23506 6 months ago
Quoted from Beowulfz07:

Huge thanks to Helmut for upgrading and fitting new power supply board, 70v PSU and relay, no more blowing 6.3a fuses as it doesn’t use them anymore lol
Also helped to wire my beacons which I painted and installed last night and fitting the shaker motor.
Fitted new speakers and acrylics - I’m just deciding whether to light the speakers or fit the green cloth I have, but already the backbox light is much better and the sound is even better, so worth the effort.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is nice!

I might have to make some clear speaker mounts myself. I don't suppose you have a illustrator/cad file for those you can share?

1 month later
#23638 5 months ago

Is there a complete list of rubber ring sizes for Alien?

#23668 4 months ago

I think the playfield glass is the most prominent example of over engineering.

Hehe, true. But, so nice if you have a tight space. The ability to lift off versus slide out is awesome for my cramped arcade room!

2 weeks later
#23700 4 months ago
Quoted from onedeath:

I'm in for a spare computer. Getting close to having a spare or more for everything.

LOL, just need that repro playfield and cabinet and we'll be all set!!

#23701 4 months ago

I probably missed it, but is there a document that describes the rules in detail?

I ask, not because I want to know everything about the game, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any issues with my game.

I wish I had a more detailed example, but it seems like the game kinda starts ambush multiball (game goes dark with red lights), but it's not a multiball. But, it keeps ball saving for a long period of time. Then, sometimes, it starts the "real" multi-ball other times it doesn't.

I'm just not familiar enough with the rules to know what is going on, I'm guessing a started some mode that isn't the actual multi-ball, but maybe there is some issue with an optical sensor or even a bug in the code, I'm just not sure and trying to understand things better.

1 month later
#23796 3 months ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Alien upkeep looks like it’s more of a headache than Stern and Bally Williams. Is this the case?

*knock on wood* I haven't had any major issues yet. Simple upkeep shouldn't be any worse than any other machine. But, if something goes wrong it could be harder to diagnose and/or repair without schematics. Alien is a bit similar to the new Sterns in that there are "node" boards that can fail. So, having a backup would be a good thing.

Alien is just such a unique experience, I really hope that I can keep it going for many years to come!

2 weeks later
#23822 87 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Depends on the price I would be also in ... background:
I have a spare playfield, spare playfiels monitor, spare pc unit ..... so with the large boards I would be able to make a very very nice wall hanger decoration running the original attractmode ....

That'd be one hell of a wall hanger!!

2 weeks later
#23903 73 days ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Quick question: Do you have Mylar installed around the magnet? I do. But from the photos here it seems like the previous owner installed it...
And does your Magnet catch every ball when multiball starts? On mine hard shots cannot be catched by the magnet.

I have mylar and a cliffy around my magnet. The magnet catching the ball is not 100%. Probably around 60-70% for me. I though I read that the cliffy has some affect on that, but I haven't bothered to remove it yet. I don't *think* just mylar would have a major impact. Sometimes the ball is just moving too fast for the magnet to grab.

#23905 73 days ago

Later versions of the code 1.2 I believe utilized the magnet a little heavier (more action). You can also increase the magnet strength in the menu.

Any idea what the setting is called? The only setting I see related to grabbing the ball is Hold Time (set to 10). The other magnet settings appear to be about flinging the ball around.

#23907 73 days ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

The setting is in the coil settings menue. It's called "Magnet" and can be made up to 25 % stronger.

Awesome! Thanks!

#23939 71 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Think someone posted a chart awhile back in the thread...Changed mine out when I switched all the plastics to PETG set...

Here is a link to the post with the chart:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/473#post-4737452

#23947 71 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

I seem to recall someone breaking down the parts that made up the computer used in Alien. I bet I can rebuild one myself with the parts. Does anyone recall where that information is? Seems like a standard MB, RAM, etc. I guess you would just need the Alien image to put on the SSD which I believe was also available for sale form a pinsider right?

Weirpinball is/was selling a computer pre imaged. You could try contacting him if you want to buy it complete:
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/weirpinball

Here is a link to the computer on Aliexpress:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/AMD-A10-Quad-Core-industrial-motherboard_60781335264.html

I think you need to add 8GB RAM and a 32GB MSATA SSD

#23959 68 days ago

Crappy pic, let me know if you need a better one:

DoorInterlock (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#23994 54 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wow they even have LE panel and backglass which basically was the only thing that separated SE from LE assuming you already installed the EL blades and beacons. I might be in. Love that art
I wonder if the plastic set is normal or the petg
Edit - bought all of it. Love that LE art and why not get the full plastic set. Thanks for the heads up

Did you get the last ones? I don't see them listed. You are talking about Pinballife, yeah?

1 week later
#24071 44 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Did anyone have a fix for the beeping noise that happens when the left flipper is held ?

beeping or buzzing?

Buzzing is normal, unfortunately.

1 week later
#24230 35 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How many people would be in for a full petg plastic set?
I missed the last free play notice.
I've got the files to get some made if its feasible economically.

I'd be interested.

Is free play going to do more sets?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside