pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1024 8 years ago

That's really cool. Love the music and sense of urgency in the gameplay...just like the films. I think it would be totally cool to do something really unique with the Aliens lighting. What I love about the Aliens movies is how they give you this really creepy feeling of being trapped in this small space with these killer Aliens lurking in the shadows. Imagine a play field that had GI lights flickering at times and even sometimes the whole play field goes pitch black and you have to survive in the dark. Can't tell if this would be cool or shitty like Predator Thoughts?

#1027 8 years ago

I think the word "Launch" should be changed to "Reveal" and we're all good. That's what he means.

2 months later
#1140 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I hope everyone understands that this is heighway's "halo" pin. They are going above and beyond on this thing to attract major awareness to their brand. You've got rotating beacons, neon ramp, extra interactive toy being added because they felt the other one just wasn't enough, a freakin smoke machine hookup, Aurich on the art! and this thing hasn't sold out of this GIFT of only 500 LE spots yet!?!
A couple years ago this would have pre-sold thousands but the pain over those 2 years has been without precedent. And those vapor pins of pain were expected to be the next BBB, tron, Cactus Canyon, etc...I think Alien Le might just fall into the A+++ class!

I think the LE's haven't sold out yet because it sounds like you can add all those features if you want to. Plus as great as it all sounds 2015 has burned people and its wiser to wait and see.

#1147 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Why would Heighway want to announce the LE being sold out? (If it were) My take on it: It would only provide some relief to 500 people and a bummer to the rest that are interested... and remember, this is a title with "World Wide" appeal - the Alien franchise is still growing more relevant and stronger after 35 freaking years. And such an announcement sends a big heads up warning sign to competition. No sense to announce "it's over" to the collector community that are on the fence or those just waiting to see the first image of this "sleeping giant" of a title. I bet that announcement comes from the community when people start posting they couldn't buy the LE and instead settled for the SE and have to put a dress on it with the LE accessories.
Sure, you can always throw an Alien playfield in an SE cabinet but it won't be the same as the satisfaction of owning "the real deal" and something original and unique. The Pinball collectors should know what I'm talking about.
And while I'm ranting, I suspect many people that buy the LE aren't going to use that cabinet as "the swap out pin." Face it, if your an Alien fanatic and your buying into the Heighway system, your going to want at least 2 Heighway pins. Am I wrong?

You realize this doesn't really make much sense. If they are making 500 LE's and they sold out, they don't have to announce it. All it would take is ONE person to try and buy one and they would tell him it's sold out and he would just communicate it. And you're wrong. An LE selling out day one is what every manufacturer goes for. And LE's should sell out and be limited. I'm not a fan of JJP's 3-4 different kinds of LEs. I like rewarding the early adopters / collectors with something special.

But do you really think Aliens is stronger and more relevant than ever? I'm not really seeing that anywhere else in pop culture man.

#1148 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I think it is wise for Heighway to wait on anything Alien until Full Throttle has made its mark. A showing of Alien might just overshadow Full Throttle a bit.
When Alien gets the green light and Heighway has shown it off and is then tasked on building toward demand I think they are going to have their hands full for some time thereafter. Best to use this time now to get their ducks in a row and learn what they learn from the initial Full Throttle runs because once Alien breaks out... it's all gas ...no brakes!

Full Throttle has much more of a European target. Motorcycle racing theme in America? I don't think it matters how good the game is, I think the theme is a turn off for most. Kind of like Mustang.

#1153 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm actually taking a wait and see approach on Lebowski. I'm more into fantasy and sci fi themes but I'm certainly going to give Lebowski a shot.
Alien is such a great theme and the coloration scheme for the art is going to look unique (dark green and yello is going to be hot).

Heres the thing about lebowski, it feels like a premium pin that's worth the money.

#1155 8 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

This has likely been answered before, but are all the Alien LEs sold out?

No

#1177 8 years ago

Tok is the most negative person in the world. Not sure he even had a childhood. People want original themes that are relatable. Magic, fantasy, sci fi and adventure. Motorcycle racing isn't something most people dream about.

#1343 8 years ago

How did a game like twilight zone cost $4,000 to make and now this cost over twice that? I just don't get it.

#1401 8 years ago

WOZ's screen is too big. DMD's are too dated. I think Dutch pinball's screen is the best of both worlds.

#1430 8 years ago

They don't need to show a lot, but would be nice to see one thing. Maybe a toy or piece of art. Slowly tease this beauty out!

1 week later
#1473 8 years ago
Quoted from WIKED:

Playfield looks great. Shame there is a screen going into it.

Seriously? Looks great. Don't be a troll.

#1538 8 years ago

Maybe I'm in the minority here but for the extra cheddar of an LE I'd want toys and features not found on the standard. Make LE mean something not just have different art. But that may be just me.

1 week later
#1654 8 years ago

can't wait to see something "REAL" on this game soon. Theme is incredible and the time is right for a company that's not STERN or JJP to enter the fold and deliver a special pin. This is the make or break game for Heighway so it's got to be amazing.

#1663 8 years ago

Wasn't trolling at all. Just saying I can't wait to see something more than sketches on this bad boy. Pin might not be make or break for Heighway but it sure would help solidify them as a major player if it's a hit. What's impressed me the most about Heighway is their production chops. What's awesome is we KNOW we are going to get Alien. Just that fact alone is impressive considering what other pinball companies have pulled.

3 weeks later
#1729 8 years ago

Come on Heighway, tease us with SOMETHING from this pin. Keep up with the marketing hype of late.

#1731 8 years ago

I love how you get downvoted when you ask for something. Ok Heighway, forget it, GIVE US NOTHING!!!! WOOHOO!!!

#1733 8 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

We recently had some news about Alien. Just because Stern announced GOT doesn't mean Heighway has to release more info on Alien at your command...

And what news do you speak of? How about showing something? Anything? That playfield layout? Did I miss something else?

#1737 8 years ago

I expect great things from this pin. Can't wait to see more. Glad Aurich is doing the art. GOT makes the wait easier

#1760 8 years ago

Wow guys. Some of you need to chill. It's just pinball. Some of you act as if lives are at stake and all information should be given to the people or else people will die!! Have faith in Heighway.

#1872 8 years ago

Aurich, thank you for that great description of what differentiates Alien from GOT. I found this on Stern's facebook page and boy does this sound like a big fat excuse. Make the games cheaper to help pinball survive. Total BS. The market now is a collector market and collectors demand and want all the bells and whistles.

Stern Pinball: "For decades pinball had several manufacturers... until they all packed so many features into their games that they were no longer profitable. Until there were none. Until they all quit and got out of the race.

Only Stern remained and continued the fight... raising the pinball banner above its shoulders and keeping the industry alive to this very day.

The modes and methods of the 90's are not practical and they do not work. We have learned from the mistakes... and as a result we are midst a massive pinball renaissance.

We do in fact strive to keep the prices for our machines as competitive as possible, by offering things like shaker motors and toppers separate as accessories we give the power to the customer to spend that they are comfortable with. Still, we have to ensure that Stern is setup for success in the months and years and decades to come. We are on the right path. Pinball is here to stay."

#2079 8 years ago

Will this game be shown at Expo?

3 weeks later
#2222 8 years ago

Can we please see something new on this pin? I'm sure it's amazing but this thread keeps getting bumped without any real updates. Enough. Show something.

#2224 8 years ago

What is being shown at Expo? The pin?

#2230 8 years ago

TETSUO!!!!!

Alien is gonna be awesome, just want to see something. As do we all. Well Expo's in 3 weeks, bump

#2243 8 years ago

Bump back.

#2256 8 years ago

Guys clearly expo is when they will show something. One week away!

#2330 8 years ago

Andrew and Aurich,

You guys should update the website. Says Alien LE is shipping September 2015. Can't wait to see more on this pin. Gonna be awesome.

Is the deposit refundable?

#2360 8 years ago

Can't we wait to see something. Will Alien art be shown? Wasn't sure if that was confirmed or not.

#2388 8 years ago

Was cool seeing the new screen and Alien art. Good times.

#2390 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Andrew didn't say what the price was to add the backglass monitor. IMO, this should be included with the LE versions from this point forward. Or at least on Alien LE and after...
But thumbs up on the change - it looks much more polished than just the static art.

Man, he did! I was in the room. He said it would be around $500.

#2401 8 years ago

Question guys. Since most people will want the big screen (god, it's beautiful). When the game is off, it's just going to be a big black box up there, right?

#2485 8 years ago

Everyone loved the art two days ago and now everyone wants it changed. It's gonna look badass all lit up.

#2505 8 years ago

Guys, the large LCD on Full Throttle was AMAZING! Let Aurich and Andrew figure this out. They both have passion and listen to feedback well. You won't be disappointed.

1 month later
#2899 8 years ago

Cant wait for this pin. But haven't we learned about release dates yet? Unless it's from Stern, add at least 6 months to the date promised. Easter? Hope so. I would guess more like August / September. There are always unforeseen delays.

3 weeks later
#3022 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

http://heighwaypinball.com/Gamenew/
The following can be bought as an upgrade for the Standard Edition also:
- Beacons
- Fiber Optic ramps
- Shaker motor
So in the end the difference is all cosmetic.

Selling the LE parts is the worst move ever. Andrew listen to me bro. Either make your LE's truly LE's and charge accordingly or just make one game. Defeats the point of going LE if you can just upgrade a regular with cash.

#3024 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

The trim will be different as well. Also you get a different back glass art work and side art work that can not be purchased after. As well as the standard art work included.

Let's be honest, if you don't put the big screen in the backglass area something's wrong with ya, it's amazing. I'm just frustrated LE now just means trim stuff. Make some playfield items exclusive. Doesn't have to impact gameplay, but man lighted ramps should be LE only.

#3102 8 years ago

When is this pin's release date? Have to imagine full throttle orders are not piling in.

#3123 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

By your logic, only people who have FTH in their hands list it, but anyone who has AMH on order can list it as in collection. Don't you think if someone has FTH on order they'd put it in their collection?
If it makes you feel better 24 people have FTH on their wish list 238 people have IM on their wish list, 53 people have Mustang on their wish list.
I'm only interested in Alien, I'm not saying FTH is bad but it has one quarter as many owners on Pinside as WWE.
Art and theme probably are not a big hit, maybe they're selling a bunch of FTH to ops IDK.

Let's not turn this into a fight about full throttle. Nobody is going to bat for that pin and we all agree it was made so HWP could figure out its production chops.

#3124 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Full Throttle is my first encounter with lcd screen vs dmd/color dmd, and let me tell you that even though Full Throttle does not have lots of fancy video clips and and also has pretty simple animations, just having all the info, animations, etc in sparkling HD makes a huge, huge difference. Not only the graphics but also the way that you can show much more info on the screen is just remarkable. All in Chrystal clear colors. (This is just with small lcd in the playfield) It truly is a gamechanger.
I would never have guessed that it would have such an impact on me. I have GOT pro standing side by side with Full Throttle and it's like going back in time, 20 years or more when I play that game right after Full Throttle. And you also have full spectrum rgb leds on every bulb on Full Throttle. It looks fantastic. Just think what those leds can do to the mood of a game like Alien, if used right.
It's not like I can't play with a dmd. When you have good, simple animations, like on TWD, where the red color dmd actually suits the theme, it is ok. But on GOT it is horrible, with the incredibly bad video clips being shown all the time.
Not being negative towards Got here. Still a fun game, but the difference is huge.
Just sayin'

You hit the nail on the head. HD pinball displays are embarrassingly overdue and when implemented properly are a game changer. The red dots in GOT are so bad and reason enough to just wait for Stern to give us a pin with 8k technology. What has me most excited about Alien is Andrew and Aurich's passion around the theme. Passion is the one intangible that makes something good, great. These guys will not go halfway. I don't get that feeling when I look at modern Sterns. Always feels like everything is a compromise vs pushing the envelope as far as possible. We shall see if Ghostbusters finally brings the innovation and art we expect from a modern pin.

#3126 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's fine, I'm just saying FTH is not a sales juggernaut hit or else people would list it on wish list and in their collection, the fact that 2x more people have WWE on their wish list tells me that FTH is not wished or dreamed about when Pinheads go to sleep. I know a guy who owned one and sold it in a couple months. Not saying it's bad but if was OMG the best game I'd think he'd have wanted to hold onto it.
I agree FTH is more about getting the wheels in motion, but don't tell me it's more popular than AMH even, because it's bearly talked about.
Alien on the other hand is a much better theme, but still hasn't gained the traction of Predator even, I think we need art and gameplay video before people get too excited about it. Right now it's a cool theme but other than that I'd like to see the gameplay and DMD animations etc..

It's simple: FTH only has appeal in Europe where motorcycle racing exists. Nobody in the states cares. Haunted House? That's a universal theme. There are ghosts everywhere!!!!!

#3134 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

There are a lot more people in the US that care about motocycle racing then there are that care about pinball. All racing themes tend to do well on any type of game from pinball to arcades to home consoles. The theme is easy to understand and follow and fun. Just in my small area alone I know 2 pinball folks that are diehard motorcycle racing fans.
Looking forward to seeing how Alien turns out. Hopefully everything comes together for a nice game.

Simply not true.

#3155 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Any proof of that or are you just making up things based on what you like?

Sharing an article that MOTOGP drew a 1/4 million fans doesn't prove that it's more popular than pinball. This is a dumb argument as you can't prove it either way. What I can guarantee is that FTH will not sell many units in America. Who wants to bet they don't sell 500 machines here?

#3156 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I don't care for ghosts, and I don't see them anywhere 0o
ummmmmm... http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/motorcycle-racing/motoamerica/
you're silly, I read your statement outloud to my wife and my 4 year old said "there's something wrong with that guy if he thinks nobody in the states cares about motorcycle racing"
seriously

I'm not saying nobody in the states cares, but man, that is probably one of the least watched sports in America, no? Compare it to other sports here. That's all I'm saying man. And more people have experienced pinball in America than MOTOGP. Way more.

#3160 8 years ago

Ok, back to Alien. Minus Fox approving stuff, when is this pin now slated to ship? Not reveal. Ship.

#3163 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Where are your supporting numbers? Why do you think just because motorcycle racing is that popular that this cool ass pin wont sell? I have an indy 500, Shadow, sttng. I don't watch any of that stuff. Still bought the machines though. I did watch BSD but it was after I got the game. Decent movie but no impact whatsoever on how I feel about the game. These arguments may apply to how you FEEL but with regards to actual facts your statements seem empty.

Let's just cut this argument lose. If people think more American's are into MOTOGP than Pinball, fine. I don't think you could prove which one is more popular. But as a theme for Pinball, it's not very popular. Not sure how that's even a debate. Alien on the other hand is the perfect theme for Pinball. Sci-Fi, movies loved by millions and spans generational gaps. LE is gonna sell out on day one.

#3164 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

you can't guarantee that. shit makes me laugh man...

Of course I can make a bet that 500 FTH don'ts make it to America. Wanna make that bet?

#3171 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I dont have facts in front of me so no I don't bet. I am not going to sling around erroneous and unsupported guarrantees either. My argument with you is you predicting/guarranteeing sales of a machine based on what you feel to be a bad theme.
How did you feel about centaur when it came out? Wait hold on let me put on my Kaneda helmet "well you know there's not a preponderance of man-beast-motorcycle hybrids here in the states and that tells me that..."

See, the only facts we will have are how many sell in the US. You can argue preference all day long and I stand behind my statement that American's do not have much preference for MotoGP, and within the pinball community, there is almost zero enthusiasm for that theme. I love how nobody will ever back me up on this stuff yet ask anyone at Expo about this theme, and, meh.

#3172 8 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

My first pledge of 2016 is to not respond to, or even read a Kadeda thread or post. Who is with me?

Why wait two weeks, just start now.

#3179 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

a real meeting of the minds here lately

dude, they JUST started shipping the game!!! 1 small shipment has made it across the pond---and not because of demand, because they JUST started making the effing game. What color is the sky in your world!!!?? It makes ZERO sense to speculate on any numbers at this point.
"Ghostbusters is a failure!!! Zero people on pinside list it in their collection!!!"
Stop
The
Madness

Are you getting a FTH?

#3180 8 years ago

Can we just all STFU about FTH demand and keep this thread about Alien.

#3195 8 years ago

Aurich / Andrew...will clips from the Aliens movies be used at all?

#3201 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Why do you care? Your not buying one go troll somewhere else.

I will buy a new pin in 2016. Not sure between Alien, TBL, Hobbit and Ghostbusters. Course if Star Wars gets announced, all in on that. Oh and Rob Zombie is a possibility too.

#3202 8 years ago

Dupe.

1 week later
#3264 8 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Thanks. I saw The 2nd screen can be 10" or 27". Does it exist a pic of these screens on a FT? If i'm sure it worth to take it now, is it possible to order later?
Nobody knows about The clearcoating of The pf?

Yes, the showed it off at Expo this year. Looks amazing with the big screen. But not as nice when machine is off and you just have a black screen where art used to be.

#3351 8 years ago

It seems like Aliens is a pin many people love and will never swap in/out of the cabinet. With that in mind, it would be great if Heighway offered a permanent cab option so that the side cabinet art looked better than the swappable inserts. There's just something about how the insert art and the lines of cabinet not being parallel that just looks off. It also limits the art to just the insert section. Feels more like an arcade game marquee approach vs a pinball cabinet approach.

#3372 8 years ago

aurich here we come baby!

#3373 8 years ago

can't wait

#3405 8 years ago

I'm sure the PF will look great. Aurich knows what he's doing.

#3411 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Essay incoming!
I did not have complete freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted, it's true. I had certain tools in a box, and I had to build using those tools. That's okay, it's the nature of the beast, it comes with the territory. I'm utterly comfortable working like that, I'm a commercial designer, my clients often provide me with assets that I need to incorporate.
Part of the process taking so long was it's an old film, and the assets for it took some hunting down. There was a lot of back and forth. It was a slow process. Approvals took longer than expected. But we persisted and we've pushed through to a major milestone now.
If I had complete freedom would I have done it differently? Sure, why not. But the whole team is really excited about where we are now. There's a lot that was depending on these approvals, and now we're free to push forward.
This is a game that's going to be heavily about atmosphere, it's dark, we want to do a lot with the lighting and LCD screen, it was important that the playfield be moody.
But at the same time no one wants things in pinball to be too dark. So I tried to strike a balance. It's about space, and stars, but it's also about claustrophobia. It's dark, but it needs colors. There needs to be military elements, and the artwork and style of the marines. And it needs to be not just all black and green. We've done that for the Standard side and backglass already, no one wants a monochrome game.
I worked in Photoshop and Illustrator. There are assets straight from the film, assets pulled from original HR Geiger concept drawings, i did original paintings and original drawings (digital on my Wacom tablet), and even bits taken from Alien comic books that I was allowed to use as resources. I basically pushed out where I could, wherever we were able to document our sources, so that what we submitted was backed by the assets we were allowed to use.
I'll say this: while it took a really long time for Fox to approve it, and I'll admit that I was getting nervous, they didn't ask for a single change. Not one. We really carefully documented everything, showed the origin of everything, and in the end after running through the process they said "good to go".
So even though the waiting was a little nerve wracking, and it's one of the reasons this thread has seen so little updates lately, in the end the process was actually very fast. Could have easily been a lot longer even with faster approval times, but lots of back and forth changes.
Summary for too long reading:
The playfield is a real mix of assets and drawing and whatever I thought I could get away with. I know some people expressed a little disappointment that the egg backglass, while a classic image, was kind of a "known" element already. The playfield doesn't look like any Alien product I've ever seen before, it's a wholly new look. I hope people are happy with it.

If it's approved, can we see it now?

#3414 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They're not going to 'launch' it on Pinside on a Friday evening when they're attending a major arcade and commercial amusements show in London from Tuesday to Thursday next week ...

Isn't Friday evening when most launches happen?

#3415 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Essay incoming!
I did not have complete freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted, it's true. I had certain tools in a box, and I had to build using those tools. That's okay, it's the nature of the beast, it comes with the territory. I'm utterly comfortable working like that, I'm a commercial designer, my clients often provide me with assets that I need to incorporate.
Part of the process taking so long was it's an old film, and the assets for it took some hunting down. There was a lot of back and forth. It was a slow process. Approvals took longer than expected. But we persisted and we've pushed through to a major milestone now.
If I had complete freedom would I have done it differently? Sure, why not. But the whole team is really excited about where we are now. There's a lot that was depending on these approvals, and now we're free to push forward.
This is a game that's going to be heavily about atmosphere, it's dark, we want to do a lot with the lighting and LCD screen, it was important that the playfield be moody.
But at the same time no one wants things in pinball to be too dark. So I tried to strike a balance. It's about space, and stars, but it's also about claustrophobia. It's dark, but it needs colors. There needs to be military elements, and the artwork and style of the marines. And it needs to be not just all black and green. We've done that for the Standard side and backglass already, no one wants a monochrome game.
I worked in Photoshop and Illustrator. There are assets straight from the film, assets pulled from original HR Geiger concept drawings, i did original paintings and original drawings (digital on my Wacom tablet), and even bits taken from Alien comic books that I was allowed to use as resources. I basically pushed out where I could, wherever we were able to document our sources, so that what we submitted was backed by the assets we were allowed to use.
I'll say this: while it took a really long time for Fox to approve it, and I'll admit that I was getting nervous, they didn't ask for a single change. Not one. We really carefully documented everything, showed the origin of everything, and in the end after running through the process they said "good to go".
So even though the waiting was a little nerve wracking, and it's one of the reasons this thread has seen so little updates lately, in the end the process was actually very fast. Could have easily been a lot longer even with faster approval times, but lots of back and forth changes.
Summary for too long reading:
The playfield is a real mix of assets and drawing and whatever I thought I could get away with. I know some people expressed a little disappointment that the egg backglass, while a classic image, was kind of a "known" element already. The playfield doesn't look like any Alien product I've ever seen before, it's a wholly new look. I hope people are happy with it.

Bro, this is your product and you are marketing this pin for Heighway. Why even say this?

"If I had complete freedom would I have done it differently? Sure, why not."

Be 100% excited about the product and get the fans hyped!

#3417 8 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Approval the first time of asking is testament to the effort and attention to detail that must have been put in. Made up for you and cannot wait for the big reveal

This or they were just happy a pinball company actually asked permission first vs that idiot Kevin who stole their IP. But I'm sure this pin is gonna look awesome. I love when Aurich talks about it being a mood/atmosphere they were going for. Spot on. Sometimes I feel like people just clutter playfields with as many assets as possible. But that feeling of space / claustrophobia is what makes Alien...Alien. Game is gonna rock.

#3419 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations and think the licensee and artists can do whatever they like. Dealing with those people is as much a part of marketing and CS as those who want to hear untamed, relentless enthusiasm or those who think it'll be another clip-art art package. A lot of us like to hear both sides of the developmental process.
Anyway, they shouldn't need too much help on the marketing front. It really is huge for them that they had approval before the show on Monday. Doesn't mean the machine will go into production much sooner than if it took another 2 months. But they get much more 'free' industry and media exposure.

I think we all know the limitations of working with a license...aka every Stern made. But what's most exciting about having Aurich on board is I feel he knows design and has a vision of how to work best with studio assets. Stern has had a tendency to just drop stuff all over the playfield. That being said...I still think Aurich should let the playfield and art go out first before explaining it. Let people make up their minds / see it before putting thoughts in their head.

#3421 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Whoever you're talking to is on my ignore list, so I don't know what the question was and probably don't care, but you're dead on with your answer.
Look, the world is full of awesome illustrators. Lots of people with more raw drawing talent than I have. I enjoy drawing, I do my own work, but I don't think it's my strength.
I'm a creative director. I manage people and assets and styleguides and rules and all the considerations. I've been using Photoshop for over two decades, and I'm good at what I do.
But dealing with a license means that you're playing in someone else's sandbox. You can't do whatever you like, it simply doesn't work that way. There are project managers and lawyers who have to approve all your moves.
You can't please everyone. I'm sure there will be people who wish the playfield looked like something else. That's life. All I can do is work with what I have, do the best job I can given the circumstances, avoid the things that I'm personally critical of and not a fan of, and hope that I make the majority of the people happy.
If you don't like it feel free to say so. I have thick skin, and I can take it. And I'm happy to engage in a dialogue or explain things. That's the fun of a forum. As long as it doesn't violate something I'm not allowed to talk about I'm easy.

Good art gets a reaction and we're not short of those on pinside. I'm sure it's going to look great.

#3422 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Whoever you're talking to is on my ignore list, so I don't know what the question was and probably don't care, but you're dead on with your answer.
Look, the world is full of awesome illustrators. Lots of people with more raw drawing talent than I have. I enjoy drawing, I do my own work, but I don't think it's my strength.
I'm a creative director. I manage people and assets and styleguides and rules and all the considerations. I've been using Photoshop for over two decades, and I'm good at what I do.
But dealing with a license means that you're playing in someone else's sandbox. You can't do whatever you like, it simply doesn't work that way. There are project managers and lawyers who have to approve all your moves.
You can't please everyone. I'm sure there will be people who wish the playfield looked like something else. That's life. All I can do is work with what I have, do the best job I can given the circumstances, avoid the things that I'm personally critical of and not a fan of, and hope that I make the majority of the people happy.
If you don't like it feel free to say so. I have thick skin, and I can take it. And I'm happy to engage in a dialogue or explain things. That's the fun of a forum. As long as it doesn't violate something I'm not allowed to talk about I'm easy.

Aurich, curious, how big was the team over on FOX's end that approved this? Think he's ignoring me, so can someone else ask?

#3425 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You can probably imagine who that might be!
He wants to give you the $500 difference you would have paid on the SMVE
And he has this question for you,

I know I can be annoying at times ...but ignoring users is even more annoying. You miss half the discussion. Can't claim to have thick skin and use ignore at the same time. Come on Aurich, let's make SMVE happen!!! I'll make it $550!

#3436 8 years ago

Anyone else find this disturbing? This was compiled from this one page alone, imagine if someone compiled every single one from this thread and all other threads...It would be enough to compose a multi page thread itself.

We're talking about the art and he did the art. Should I call him by another name?

#3438 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Do what half of pinside has done and use the ignore feature. After doing that the RZ thread shrunk in half. If people would quit quoting him I wouldn't even have to see the "ignored user comment"

The thread is not the only thing that shrunk in half when you ignored me

#3439 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You don't really annoy me Kaneda. You definitely have a bad case of "diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain" like most of us at times, but you just have A LOT more challenges in that department.
I'll say this, you take a LOT of shit pretty well. That of course you bring onto yourself when you talk out of your ass mostly but hey I find it entertaining and it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around. You sir, are on your own island!
Why don't you just paypal Aurich the $550? Even though he has you on ignore I'm sure he'd appreciate the gesture.

I would...but only if he orders a SMVE! I just find it funny that people would want to ignore others on this forum. ICE, you hear every word I say and is it really something you have to run and hide from?

#3445 8 years ago
Quoted from Kylo_Ren:

As a big Alien fan I'm looking forward to this pin. Hope we get to see more next week.

Next week you may be in luck.

#3453 8 years ago

I'm in.
Surprised someone hasn't started one of those lists yet..

One will start soon I'm sure.

#3486 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I like it! Great attitude.
And I'm with you but I doubt it "sells out fast"

Quoted from iceman44:

Hehehe. It's a good thing you live on the West coast. A LONG way from Krapneda, that's all you need to know.

Be nice Ice...that's not being nice. Just got back from Modern. Good times. Really enjoyed GOT. TWD was fun, but man the drain out of the pots is sooooo annoying.

#3488 8 years ago

Can someone ask Aurich this question. If he had the whole playfield to do, would he also create the art himself or hire a freelance artist to work with him. It's a fair question. He's a designer, not an artist per se.

#3528 8 years ago

How close to being done is this pin? Is there a tentative release date? Not trolling, just trying to get a sense. Art is approved on playfield but sounds like plastics / cabinet have to be started. Who's doing the code? What have they done before?

#3543 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know everyone focuses on callouts, but I'm actually really looking forward to the music and sound effects more. This is a game about atmosphere, it's hopefully going to be bad ass in a darkened room. Good sounds and lighting are going to be key.
Good sound is what elevates a game. I think it's one of the prime reasons Data East games get so much crap. They just straight up have lame sound effects, and they recycled and reused them over and over, and it makes all their games feel totally similar. You can play good games, like Jurassic Park, Tommy, Last Action Hero, Tales from the Crypt, all games that are cool, but have this similar sound to them.
Compare any of them to a game like Tron. Which is fun, I love mine. But it's the sound that makes the game so amazing. (And the lighting, gotta have fiber optic. Which, by the way, we're doing for Alien. Stoked about that.)
Sound matters a lot, and I'm 100% confident that the sound on this game is going to be amazing.
We're also really excited about the lighting opportunities. Full Throttle only scratched surface of what these lights can do I think. On a game like Alien, where it's moody and dark and scary I think the RGB lighting has a real chance to shine.
Color is definitely going to matter too, it's not just window dressing. Modes use color in their rules. Color will matter for communicating other information on the playfield. And of course, we're going to have sweet window dressing.
Our animator is coming by in a couple hours, we're going to work on refining some older videos into a newer style we've developed that's better, and storyboard out the next group of animations we're going to work on. We're having a great time collaborating.
I think we're going to be the first game that has a high rez DMD, meaning the DMD era school of information display, as opposed to a dashboard full of tons of data at once. You'll pretty much always have access to your score, ball #3, number of extras balls (I added that, always wish I could just see that clearly), credits, and the other player's scores. All the vital stuff. And then we're doing animations in the DMD school way.
But now the film clips aren't crappy like OG Spider-Man or Indy 4, they're in high rez, and we have 3D animated text, and it's all nice and modern feeling as far as the screen and resolution, just with an old school spirit. And it's punchy and quick, you don't have to sit through long film clips. This is a pinball game, and it's going to be a challenging one, with 4 flippers, magnets, a ton of toys, lots of shots — you need to be watching the ball, not someone's YouTube channel of their favorite bits from ALIEN and ALIENS.
We're not ready to show animations yet, but to me it's what I want to see on these screens. And not saying anything bad about Hobbit just to be clear. It looks amazing. Really, really nice. I just personally like the approach of a more DMD-like focus, but with all the detail you can bring to a high rez screen.
For the record I think it will look great on the 27" backbox screen if you go that route. Definitely keeping in mind making it work on both screens from the very beginning, which is something Full Throttle didn't have the chance to do.
Andrew, I hope you don't mind me telling them we have a second programmer working on this with us now, and he's bringing awesome energy and good ideas to the rules. He and Brian are friends and I'm already confident they're going to be a great team on this. I spent probably a couple hours of my Saturday talking with the US side of the team, talking rules and animation and lighting and how it's all going to work together, and synching the music and sounds to it all as a cohesive package.
I don't want to mention any new names on the team, that's Andrew's role. But they're great additions, and I'm very excited about it.
I hope you like my art. But there's so much more to make this game great. I just have to not f—k it up!
(I really don't think I did for the record.)

Great info but Aurich you act so unprofessional. Asking in a thread if you can share info that you already are sharing is downright wrong. You should be talking to Andrew first before revealing all this stuff . You act like this is all about you and man you are loving the spotlight. But this is Andrews pin and you keep standing in front of it and revealing stuff without even checking with him. Andrew is one of the nicest guys out there but you are totally taking advantage. Is his marketing plan to just have Aurich spill stuff ahead of reveal? I doubt it man. Your time to talk is soon but just do your boss a favor and respect him a bit more. He's got me on ignore so how about someone else copy and paste this.

#3550 8 years ago

Le ordered

#3555 8 years ago

I think aurich is only talking about what he is allowed in accordance with progress.

Then why is he asking Andrew mid thread if he's allowed to say something? Wake up guys.

#3556 8 years ago

Le ordered

#3561 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

you need to go see a therapist if you dont already. you have 2 user accounts here you use and i wont offend a troll by calling you one cause you are much worse. you were thrown out of klov twice. you are thrown out of every facebook forum you join. you destroy every interesting thread. when people block you, your constant posts makes it hard for them to follow threads. smh. at the very least change your avatar pic. just so friggin annoying!

So you agree with me? Thanks bro.

#3563 8 years ago

Le ordered

#3565 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Like you've done with this thread?
Pot, meet kettle.

I just ordered an Alien LE. Why? Just in case. haha you guys are so silly. Go watch football and get the F off Pinside right now.

#3571 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Makes me Not want an Alien!

Just ordered! Mohahahhaha

#3573 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

He didn't order one, just making fun of another Pinsider who did......needs an eject....

I did. Photo proof to come later. Can't share via phone.

#3575 8 years ago

LE ordered. Nothing the mods can do.

#3576 8 years ago

Laces out guys. Laces out!

#3692 8 years ago

Looking good.

#3694 8 years ago

a look of whole playfield should tell us more about the atmosphere of this pin.
we have all such hopes about artwork...
sorry, is there an hour in particular or it's during this afternoon (for us in europe)? thanks

Not sure if a full playfield reveal date has been set.

#3749 8 years ago

Just shaking my head, not at the image, but how sloppy this reveal was handled. Aurich starts by teasing a few inserts and then the first full reveal is done with a crappy flyer by someone not even with Heighway? WTF is that? After all of the hard work on this, you think people would invest in a good camera and stop using what looks like a cellphone to capture an image. But it is what it is.

Still processing the art. Really hard to judge a playfield that's void of ramps/toys/mechs. Want to look at it some more before passing judgement. But Heighway, get your marketing shit together guys...piss poor reveal.

#3775 8 years ago

Guys, I am relaxed. All I am saying is this...a good plan to reveal avoids this type of stuff from happening. But look, it's over with and no big deal. Just hate seeing people's work presented incorrectly or in bad quality, that's all.

Back to the playfield itself. I really can't judge this until seeing it complete. What's exciting me the most is what they are going for...creating an atmosphere with the game. With that in mind, it needs to be judged as a whole, not by each part. Have to wait to see toys/mechs/lights/effects to see how it all ties together. It looks like a space game. Alien is a space movie. I'll have to wait on more feedback.

#3794 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm not sure if you're recently out of kindergarten, but not everyone is looking for pointless melodrama and willy waving. I can't speak for Aurich (or Heighway) but somehow doubt he was put out. This was and is not priveleged information. They're sales flyers. A couple of the staff had stacks of them to give away to anyone who was interested. Andrew didn't press it into my hand, making me swear on my mother's life not to show or tell anyone. It's not under NDA. It had already launched. You and more than 99% of the people looking at the thread aren't or won't be at the trade show. People are constantly begging for more information. I was in a position to share what they did have at the show, which people were obviously interested in given the short time since approval. If I'd posted about what was (and wasn't) at the show without the flyer (which I made sure was a decent enough photo to show detail) I assume you'd have been crying and calling me a liar. If you have no idea what a 'leak' is, try not to expose your stupidity.

It's not your fault at all man. You are right. Once a company hands out any materials, it's fair game to share. Heighway should have done a midnight drop of assets if it knew this was happening today. But like other's have said, it's not big deal. You do get one chance at a reveal and that's marketing 101 Rare

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=kaneda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.