DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazzmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1295 8 years ago

So when did the LE jump in price from $7850 to $8050? Why the price increase? Will we see this upward trend in pricing continue as the game gets closer to production? I was visiting heighway's site to pre-order after Aurich's awesome post above but now I am a bit put off by a price increase with no new significant information about the game revealed. What gives guys?

#1298 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I can only speculate that the price creep has to do with the fact that the game has changed since first announced.
Speaks back to the point that it will be a better situation when game announcements are not made so early.

UGHHH! I hate to get on a soapbox, but here goes. What has changed about this game? There has been no significant reveal of any changes to a game that was supposed to have been in production 3 months ago. Don't get me wrong. I get it. Motion Picture IP holders are hard to work with. You can stop drilling that into my head now. My beef is that the price is creeping up on a game that has had ZERO visually revealed! So, should I expect a new price increase every time that a feature of this game is verbally described to me?

#1317 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

If you are uncomfortable placing a fully refundable deposit for an LE reservation, then it's simple. Just wait for the full reveal & final pricing info before making your decision. No one is forcing you to jump in now.

I don't believe I said anyone was forcing me to jump in now!

After further review of the order form, it looks like the price that is listed on the order form at the time of purchase is what the game will cost. In other words, those people who have already ordered will get there games for $200 less that anyone who orders today. So, with that in mind, it would seem that I am being forced to pre-order now if I don't want the the price to creep even higher.

I really wish that pinball companies would just stop all of this pre-order before the full reveal crap. Don't start selling the product before you have a final design and price. Nearly every one of them says that they don't like the pre-order model but then they all resort to it anyway. It is nothing more than lip service.

At the very least, it would be nice to get a heads up that there is an impending price increase. Just strikes me as a little underhanded to raise the price and not even mention it beforehand.

#1321 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Now that's how you discuss matters with a lawyer. (RobT=Lawyer. Right?)
Having said that, I don't think a $200 increase in price is a cause for debate. Let's just wait & see the pin, maybe we'll all feel that Alien LE is under priced!

Then don't jump into the debate! I don't necessarily have an issue with the price increase. Other manufacturers have increased the price of their offerings as they get further along in the development process or as certain milestones are reached. Usually the increase is announced before it happens. This $200 increase just seems arbitrary. As far as I can tell Alien has not reached any milestones from the consumer perspective: Game announced with initial shot layout and pre-orders taken at initial price- lots of hyperbole about the game design thrown around on Internet forums and game expos - arbitrary price increase! See? no milestones.

#1324 8 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

The question about the price increase is a valid one.
Generally speaking, our €EUR and $USD prices are subject to fluctuation on a weekly basis depending on a number of factors - mainly currency exchange rates. We do state this clearly on our Store page. Other factors like shipping rates also factor in.
Our €EUR prices have gone up and down a lot over the last 6 months because of large currency fluctuations, but the $USD price hasn't moved until recently.
The reason for the recent price change, which affected both Standard Edition and Limited Edition variants of both Full Throttle and Alien Pinball, comes down to the cost of producing these machines. As well as the features and innovations packed into our machines, we refuse to compromise on quality. This means that we have expensive machines to produce. Costs of parts can go up which means that we must raise our prices as well, unfortunately.
Saying that, our prices 'could' come down in the future as we buy more parts for less, and more processes are moved in-house.
We want to bring both quality and value to pinball, but it may take a while for costs and prices to settle down. We will always do our best to keep our prices as low as possible.
Regarding the screen upgrades, we announced these here, with links to our store. It's true that some of our Full Throttle customers are only receiving their upgrade option emails now - and we apologise for this delay.
Customers can order and pay for their screen upgrade at any time before shipping, by visiting http://heighwaypinball.com/screen/

Is there a reason why you chose not to announce the price increase before implementing it? I understand the fluctuation in currency exchange but, from my perspective, the bottom line is that the game just went up $200 without notice. Is the price on the sales order form the final price of the machine or will orders already taken be subject to the $200 increase (and presumably any further price increases)?

#1327 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Wasn't talking to you. Need a hug? Free hugs & candy!

My bad. I thought this was a forum thread. Guess I didn't realize I was in a PM discussion between you and Aurich.

1 month later
#1958 8 years ago

Any guesstimate on when we might see an artwork reveal? Last I read, Andrew stated a September/October build date with first games shipping in late October. Is this still the timeline you guys are operating on? Lastly, will Nordman be in the credits for the game?

#1963 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not sure where you read that. Andrew used some word like "launch" which might have confused people, because he meant the reveal, not shipping.

Well, we weren't happy with the toys as they were. We wanted more toys and better toys.
In particular we have one major new toy, which interacts with the ball - and this requires more space.
So, the re-design takes into account lessons learned on shot geometry, and also incorporates spacing needed for all of the toys and mechanisms, as they are now.
Regarding timelines, we want working prototypes by the end of August and finished games by October. Production should therefore start September/October with the first games being shipped by the end of October

#1966 8 years ago

tious

Quoted from Aurich:Ah yeah jazzmaster, I see that. I don't want to speak for Andrew, so I'll let him respond to that. Obviously was a little too ambitious.

I dig ambition! No worries either way for me and I certainly am not trying to stir anything up. Just a little excited to see some of your graphic work. You guys are obviously oozing passion for this project. Let it flow for however long it takes to make it right!

#1968 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Spoiler: One person, with no help, swapping without rushing, took just under 3 and a half minutes. Art, playfield, booting up, everything.

I anxiously watched hoping he was going to swap in the Alien playfield. But alas, no easter egg

#2062 8 years ago

Forbidden Planet or Blade Runner would be instant purchases for me!

1 month later
#2322 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The Heighway system is backprinted on some kind of acrylic, and the art and speaker panel is one piece, with holes cut for the speakers.

Sorta like Cirqus Voltaire?

2 months later
3 weeks later
#4096 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I have to agree with the majority, lose the cartoon images

Please don't count me in that majority. The movie ephemera is my favorite part of the design. This playfield is obviously a love letter to the franchise. I wouldn't change a thing.

#4137 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

To those who say it's a done deal, Aurich has repeatedly said he has to make changes so why not give him suggestions?

Okay. Here is my suggestion: Don't change a thing! Playfield is perfect, as is!

4 months later
#6077 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

jesus talk aboot drama

I don't find it to be overly dramatic at all. This thread has nearly spiraled into a cesspool of absolute bullshit! If it were not for Aurich's posts and those of the few people who have seen the video this thread would rival some of the very worst on Pinside. I get that people are frustrated with the delays and not being shown concrete imagery, but it is what it is. I also get being frustrated with having to wade through every worn out meme on the internet to find something meaningful in this thread. FWIW, I am not one of those that is particularly upset with waiting to see the complete game. I come from a time when the anticipation of something was part of the excitement for it (read: before the internet) and I often lament that the experience of anticipation is something that is now lost to the ever connected world of instant gratification.

1 week later
#6393 7 years ago
Quoted from markb:

If I had the cash (or even the space!!) I would kill for one of these. They look awsome!
Can't wait to play one.

I think it is cash or kill...you don't need both. You need the space in either scenario

#6473 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Still no gameplay videos? How far away are we from actually seeing this thing in action?

On May 12th, Andrew posted this:

At our last team meeting, we all agreed on a schedule that should see Alien Pinball complete by mid August. Pending approval by Fox of the finished game, then we expect to start production in September.

So, hopefully, just a little over two months, give or take, depending on approval!

1 month later
#6975 7 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

LE's are first aren't they?

I would also like an answer to this. IIRC, I believe the FT standards shipped first. I would like to see the Alien LE's go out first. I would imagine that most of the pre-orders are for the LE. It would only make sense for the people with money tied up in the game get theirs first, especially given the lengthy delays.

#6979 7 years ago

At this point, that's the plan. LEs are absolutely our priority.

Thanks Andrew! Another example of how Heighway is doing it right!

2 weeks later
#7112 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

What's with the "NO PHOTOS OR VIDEO TAPING WILL BE ALLOWED" warning on that PDF? I recall past presentations from Expo getting posted on YouTube, and even live streamed before. I guess things have changed at Expo.

I read that as just being for the Stern factory tour.

1 month later
#7913 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

all the mod cons

I see what you did there. Weller would be proud.

#8136 7 years ago

So, what happened at the reveal? Were the games completely DOA? I was expecting some actually meaningful video or at least some decent pics of the game from the event. Is Heighway still under the thumb of Fox and unable to release anything more than what we have seen? Heighway is knocking on the door for payment. I need to see more than a flyer and a marketing video. When will we see some actual straight-up, gameplay video with no added marketing hype or cutaways to movie scenes or 15 cuts a second to cray cutaway shots of the "balls eye view"?

#8141 7 years ago

And another thing....If I could just offer a bit of constructive criticism, the rotating airlock/queen seems completely out of sorts in the game. Its scale is completely off next to the giant Alien head. Does it actually do anything but turn? In an earlier version of the game there was a 2nd (3rd?) lcd here. Aurich mentioned in an earlier post that it was abandoned because there was nothing meaningful to do with it. This Airlock toy seems to be suffering the same fate for me. Is the 2" tall queen supposed to evoke fear when revealed? Wouldn't the player have been better served by just showing a cutaway scene of the movie on the 27" monitor? Aurich is the person who got me jazzed up about the game and all of the suspenseful, foreboding atmosphere that Heighway was cooking up for the game. This toy robs it of much of that for me. Giant, ball eating Alien head: check. Creepy Alien egg pop bumper: check. 2" scale model queen: eh, not samuch. I am not a huge fan of the hairpin ramp and I could be wrong but I seem to recall Nordman's original design did not have this but instead a more flowy ramp. Makes me feel like that real estate was given up for this toy.

#8154 7 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Are you afraid of spiders?

Maybe, Depends on what kind If a 2" Alien ran up to you on the street, would you be frightened? Maybe I am being a bit harsh in my criticism and I probably should reserve judgment before seeing better pics/video. The scale of the airlock toy next to that of the Alien head just makes it seem out of place to me.

#8158 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

It doesn't seem that way in person. Many pins have various scales in use on the same playfield.

lol..that certainly is true. The White Russian could crush the Dude's car on my TBL. Point taken...i'll shut up now.

#8571 7 years ago

Any timeline on when we will get to see the fibre optic ramps and the production airlock toy? Also, is there any chance to see the game played in a more controlled environment where the lighting and sound can be more easily observed?

1 week later
#8811 7 years ago
2 months later
#10054 7 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I probably missed it, but are there any pictures of the "Fibre" Optic Ramp Lighting?

NO! Just like everything else about the LE- no public disclosure of images or video.

#10148 7 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazzmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=jazzmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.