DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#827 9 years ago

Maybe Andrew/Heighway can make Predator a reality at some point inconjunction with what Skit have already started/done. One can hope would be sweet both running on the same operating system - maybe a alien vs predator link up mode!?

7 months later
#2438 8 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

I thought that an egg-pod animation would/could be shown opening up to shoot pinballs out for multiball and or virtual locks etc.....locked balls shimmering in the pod so-to-speak (sounds rude but you get what I mean eh)?

That's the beauty of JJPs setup but with Heighways backbox LCD I don't see why this couldn't be done, maybe it's already part of the plan for the playfield LCD??

#2444 8 years ago

Hi Aurich, the artwork you have done is already looking pretty sweet man, I think personally it's a licence where it could be so easy to cram all the cool stuff featured in the films into every inch of the art, less is more is often hard to achieve but the control in the art shows talent man

One question I'd love to know though is will there be much in the art representing ALIENS though? I know the game will allow the player to experience Alien and Aliens but the art at least so far on the cabinet is purely Alien. Just thought I'd ask man as I love the current art would just love to see/know if there's gonna be some more Aliens imagery? Or has it just been simply part of the licence.

Thanks dude

#2447 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's a lot more to do with ALIENS on the playfield. The art, the mechs, the toys. You can expect the drop ship, the APC, the Queen, the motion tracker, the sentry guns, all kinds of good stuff.

Now that does sound exciting Aurich, I was actually hoping you might say that, so your answer couldn't have been any better

Cannot wait to see the playfield art even more excited to see it now! I assume there will still be some Alien based art on the playfield mixed into the more Aliens focuses art?

Thanks for the reply Aurich

2 months later
#4194 8 years ago

The playfield art doesn't scream Alien at all then again in space no-one can hear you scream so maybe that's the irony. But I don't think it's Aurich at all at fault I think it shows just how unaware and how little 20th century fox understand their own licence, if these are the best assets they could provide Aurich to work with (mixing comic book assests with movie just sounds amateurish when it comes to consistency and cohesiveness) it's amazing Aurich managed to do the classy job he has with clearly what little quality he's been given to work with.

I know there are going to be "Alien" toys but there just isn't any "Alien" in the art other than the single dark alien between the flippers and as any fan of the movies will attest too these where and still are some of the most iconic films in their natural/organic imagery from the Aliens themselves to each and every one of the environments - every environment had a unique and memorable feel and sound/s and the playfield is just lacking any of this essence for me it's just space and stars, quite the opposite to the films as its unmemorable.

I was hoping to see those famous tunnels and internal corridors of the colony outpost from Aliens, or the interior of the space jockey from Alien, host room and especially an alien agg room - I just can't imagine how the egg bumpers are going to look on a redish blur, I was hoping for some HR Giger kind of look and feel in that area like the inside of the space jockey or the queens hive from aliens.

Again none of my criticism is aimed at you Aurich after all the things you can read about 20th century fox online about their fat suits running the show it's not hard to assume with some accuracy that they just haven't got a damn clue what the essence of the film world/licence is about and it's a big shame.

#4330 8 years ago

From what I believe sigourney weaver is a bug pinball/alien fan at heart, isn't it documented somewhere that BSD was originally planned to be Alien 3 and in an interview Sigourney expressed her love of pinball and disappointment the game didn't come together in the end? I also remember reading an interview about her involvement with the recent PlayStation/Xbox game Alien Isolation "Ripley" added downloadable content, in which she seemed enthusiastic enough, I'd be real surprised if they can't at least secure Sigourney and Bill Paxton, but this is a theme that really needs all the actors/characters involved both films had a great group of characters alien crew and aliens marines wasn't a bad character in the bunch something modern films seem to struggle acheiving, which is why these films and the characters are timeless classics and have to be in the pin! If not leave back door access so some of the pinside geniuses can work their TWD magic

#4335 8 years ago

Adding to what I posted above about her interest in Ripley as a character:

http://time.com/3453689/sigourney-weaver-alien-isolation/

Also worth noting Sigourney & Michael Biehn allowed their likeness to be used for promotional artwork for the pitch of Alien 5 and both where keen to return to the alien universe especially Sigourney to "finish" the story properly.

2 months later
#5154 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

This was shown at TPF tonight during the Alien presentation by Heighway Pinball!
It grabs & locks the ball!!

5c76ed1941739407e63253d483f60744ecdc3400.jpeg_(resized).jpg

Dammit there goes my wallet...... Again! 2016 is shaping up to be one hell of year for pinball.

#5194 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Seeing that model really puts the "wait to see the entire final product" philosophy in perspective.

The playfield could be bare wood with no art and with that toy/sculpt on the playfield it would still look badas. Totally blown away by the detail it looks awesome

7 months later
#8948 7 years ago

It's hardly a negative issue to get so hung up on, yeah currently it might be of little benefit to most of us and not a selling point but if Heighway drop killer themes for games #3 & #4 and can reduce production length at the same time and get their next 2 or 3 games out faster then the system might become very useful for some pinheads with limited space.

I agree I'd want more art on display with Alien and if once i have Alien I plan to never swap that particular game I'll make a set of custom decals, easy!

#8949 7 years ago

Breathe Kaneda! 1...2...3 breathe, 1...2...3 breathe, remember what the therapist said, remain calm, ignore all of those voices and breathe

Pinball is supposed to be fun bro you need to chill out and not take sh*t so serious, no pinball company is perfect but aslong as their all a little different it gives us choices & options man and that ain't a bad thing, so have a smoke and chill

2 weeks later
#9323 7 years ago

That teaser was AWESOME! I'll take as many gory scenes as you can possibly cram into every mode! I have been a little on the fence but I think you finally sold me with that teaser

#9324 7 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Why are people asking for a refund of their deposit? Game so far looks impressive to me. I think this could be a great title from Highway Pinball. Very excited to see more as I love the theme.

I remember reading a couple pages back in the thread that some people where going to cancel after it was confirmed Sigourney/Ripley would not be present in the audio and visual and it was a deal breaker for some.

Members of Heighway mentioned that's because of licencing issues but it worked out okay because they designed the game for the player to be Ripley. There's also that little rumour about Stern & GB too

#9327 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I have my reasons but feel it's pointless to raise them as the game is nearly done. I wish HP all the best and I might come back in at a future date.

If there minor maybe it is worth raising or asking the question? HP has certainly been excellent when its come to listening to their market/potential buyers and acting on what they have heard, there's been some pretty big changes as a result, speaking of which I want to know what the queen chamber change is that's got me beyond curious

#9337 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I personally cannot WAIT to drop $6450 on this. Makes Stern's releases look ....well....cheap.

Unfortunately Stern are doing a good job of that themselves these days, with their double whammy tactics of price hikes while allowing quality to plummet! And I love Stern games btw so that's not bashing, it's just a fact their starting to "Alien"ate their customer/fan base.

I totally agree Alien makes Sterns latest offering look stripped bare. And if Heighway can release games #3 & #4 in a good time frame with killer themes like Alien at a similar price point to Alien (I'm guessing so happy to be corrected, but I think Alien is probably being kept as close to its anouncement pricing as possible to built up that customer base) then I can see them taking ALOT of customers away from Stern.

I know personally if Heighway come out with another theme like Alien something like Die Hard, Predator, Back to the Future, James Bond and the pricing is not far off Alien with the option of being able to buy a kit as well to reduce costs further I'll be buying Heighway games without a second thought to Stern.

#9339 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm loving how ALIEN is shaping up and can't wait to get mine but to say Stern's are looking "stripped bare" is ridiculous.
GBLE is a jam packed and phenomenal pin, so is TWDLE btw.
I get that it makes people feel better about their purchase to slam the other guys but its just not true.

I was referring to BM66 Ice, which by the way I am strongly considering buying and I am not ashamed to admit I am looking to buy one but compared to Alien BM66 does looked stripped, compare GB to BM66 and like you said GB is jam packed, BM66 looks stripped in comparison, but Stern are good at making fun games with great themes and that's why I love them, but Aliens is bursting with features couldn't help another Alien related pun

#9341 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've said before, I'm hoping ALIEN is the most immersive pin ever, with the clips and Thiel sound it certainly could be, especially with headphones.

Couldn't agree more, I am also hopeful that Heighway can release games #3 and #4 with themes that have the kind of worldwide appeal that Aliens does (DIE HARD NEEDS A PIN!!) and can keep their pricing extremely competitive as it is currently.

If they can achieve those 2 things it will give Heighway a huge jump into the market with the 2 big boys and they would surely have to start taking note and offer a comparative product? I would certainly LOVE to see jam packed pins @ 6 - 9k from 3 mainstream companies, the only thing that's going to be bad for is our wallets.

#9345 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I started a thread about most desired themes, and there really isn't much left in terms of having a super wide appeal other than possibly Harry Potter.
I don't think that Die Hard even comes close to having the same appeal that Alien/s does.

Unfortunately Harry Potter will most likely never happen, which sucks because although I am not a fan my son loves it and for that reason I would be tempted because I would jump on a theme that could potentially get him addicted to pinball like his old man and my old man was

I agree there is not a whole lot left that hasn't already been done but then again I wouldn't mind seeing older themes revisited, its worked wonders for Hollywood so why not Pinball? I would have no issue with a Heighway T1 & T2 pin sat next to my Alien & Aliens pin or maybe licences that maybe didn't get the treatment they deserved, I would sign up day one for a Back to the Future pin where I can play each movie like Alien/Aliens allows you the choice.

1 week later
#9389 7 years ago

Andrew, is there any chance or time frame on another mode preview video? Any sneak peak would be appreciated, the preview of Bug Hunt was awesome!!

#9391 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Was the YouTube stream from the Chicago pinball event ever made available?

I don't know, I was just hoping for another mode preview video as the Bug Hunt teaser video was freaking awesome!

#9405 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Accurate timelines just aren't Andrew's thing.
At least BM66 is finally about to ship.

They are altering/replacing the Queen Chamber (coffee can) so that might have created a small delay, I am just grateful that while being this far into the development/start of production Andrew & co. where willing to improve an area for "us" and make Alien even better from "our" feedback.

They can have another month or two as long as they improve that I wont mind waiting, BM66 will keep me busy till Alien arrives

#9407 7 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We will be emailing updates, and posting an update here, tomorrow

I cant give your post two thumbs up but Ripley can! Tomorrow cannot come soon enough!

ALIEN (resized).pngALIEN (resized).png

#9431 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I hope the spinner makes an awesome sound(s) and isn't ignored.

I don't know if it's ever been done before (sure someone will know for certain) but has a spinner ever had mode specific sounds??

I know most modern Sterns have a single spinner sound, but for Alien it would be awesome if it had multiple/mode specific spinner sounds like "Alien screams", "alien hissing", "Alien queen sounds", "power loader sound fx" or "pulse rifle gun fire".

Literally spinners are one of my favourite shots to make and having a spinner with multiple sounds would be great!

#9445 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Not sure if it's been done before, but Alien does have distinct spinner sounds during Sentry Guns Multiball, which is a spinner-centric multiball.

Would be great if it was done and Alien was the first, spinners are going to sound awesome during SGMB but it would be great if the spinners could have an audio impact else where in the game/modes. Plus it's always cool to be the 1st at doing something

#9446 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ah, yeah, that would make sense. To be clear, all the clips in that video are in the game.

Thank you for the clarification Aurich and a big congratulations to everyone involved in the video aspect of Alien, it literally looks as good as it sounds and David has knocked the audio out the park!

#9453 7 years ago
Quoted from j69:

I don't know many children that can afford an $8000 pinball machine

I don't think it's the children asking on pinside, it's the parents

My son and daughter are 5 & 4, I simply won't be playing Alien while they are around, they can play all our family games Ironman, Star Trek, Goldeneye, TRON,BM66 but Alien will be daddy's game!

#9457 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

oh yeah, I keep forgetting that the majority of Pinsiders are LE buyers, doh.

Nah it's just easy for people to forget the price of Alien, when the current market has been pumping out/flipping 8-10k games for the last year or so.

#9498 7 years ago

I was hoping all the posts where due to a big update and shipping games but this statement alone makes up for it:

We rejected a batch of playfields, all PCB sets were rejected

There would be nothing worse than getting Alien before Xmas to then have board issues and playfield issues. I think its important with Alien being Heighways first big profile game to get it right out of the gates and to avoid a fiasco like GB.

The delays suck! But it's great to see a company caring about the quality of their product before placing it in customers hands.

#9501 7 years ago

Andrew is there any chance of a look at the backbox Beacons in action?

I am sure there are other people like me who are curious regarding the upgrades and since you posted a photo of the flyer with the beacons on top of the backbox it's impossible to resist asking, if we could see some sneak peaks of the various upgrades available specially over Xmas when people are in the spending mood

#9508 7 years ago

Of course Jon - we will make it happen.

Awesome Andrew thanks for the quick reply, would be great to have a look at the available upgrades in action over xmas, I know I'm particularly interested in the Beacons and Ramp lights for a standard edition game, so I would love to see what else your going to have available, to take more of my money blinging out my game

#9515 7 years ago

Andrew just wanted to ask another quick question while your about. Have you had any thought at any point wirh regards to offering dedicated cabinets?

Say for someone who wants to always keep an Alien an Alien, would it be something that would be financially beneficial to you? To offer dedicated cabinets and decals? I know the swappable system is a key feature of your pins and I know if you keep dropping great titles (hint hint BTTF ) I will most definitely need to use it but I was just curious if it was something you had given any thought to providing there was demand and it would be financially beneficial first and foremost?

#9517 7 years ago

Awesome! Appreciate the fast reply thanks.

#9521 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Once an Alien, always an Alien...just sayin...

That was pretty much the thought behind my question, i would love a dedicated Alien cabinet, with every inch covered in artwork, hell while you have Matt doing sculpts why not a special sculpted back box cover?

#9531 7 years ago

The more I look at the flyer the more gloss black powder coated armour is going to look beautiful on Alien.

Backbox sculpts/molds would be an awesome mod aswell if things could be agreed within the licence, power loader back box or xenomorph back box would be a sweet new feature in place of having no side back box art.

#9544 7 years ago

Awesome video, thanks for posting the update as promised Andrew, that in itself sets you apart from the competition. And the clear on those playfields looks like glass, the more you show of Alien the better it keeps looking

#9554 7 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

I'm curious, what is the use of this sheet of plastic ?

That guy in the screen capture you took is in every shot involving playfields and from the little sneak peaks he seems to have a look of genuine care with them.

And product quality is something Andrew & the team seem to be taking very seriously so it wouldn't surprise me if those plastic sheets are nothing more than protective sheets used to cover playfields that are being stored and waiting to be taken onto the line for assembly

#9558 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Me too, is that a playfield protector?
And are the flashing lights on the backbox standard? Or is that an LE feature?

Unless its changed and I have missed it, the flashing beacons on the backbox are an LE feature but you can pay to have them as an add on for a Standard Edition of the game.

1 week later
#9651 7 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

It's just color changing balls - what is that suppose to be?

Maybe it's edited/sensored as it's a preview? I would hope that when you fail modes in game that there is a gory kill/fail scene to go with your failure.

#9669 7 years ago

I am guessing whatever the airlock replacement is, that it has not been approved for reveal just yet.

But Ambush multiball looks awesome that is going to be a mode where you want the volume cranked up HIGH to get totally immersed in the motion tracker and sound track, should be an adrenaline pumping mode, especially with the randomisation of the aliens on the motion tracker that is a stroke of genius!

#9679 7 years ago

I always felt if the Queen was going to be video based then she should appear on the backbox LCD and be big and in your face! She just looks too small and out of place next to the Xeno head, on the big screen she would be above the player and in the players face way more immersive having her looking down on you just like with Ripley in Aliens.

#9770 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Cut all illumination in the game and strobe it with some flashers as it swings over. Scary!
Make that toy come alive and everyone will forget about whatever you were planning on putting in that space.

Literally the greatest suggestion in this thread!

I think that is an absolute must!

#9773 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm still unsure about Stern's LCD. It's a little weird looking but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
The big screen looks natural and is a wow factor to new players.

I like both, but personally I like Sterns placement/sizing the best out of all the current LCD options, it allows for the best of both worlds, a good size screen with plenty of room for nice animations and a good size translite, if I can always have both its the choice I would always make, I love seeing translite art when my games are off, its pinball

#9785 7 years ago

As long as when the Xeno head is in play, the LCD & all GI is cut like alveolus suggested above and we get some strobe lighting/flashers and Alien hissing/attack sounds and effects, during the ball eating intro by the Xeno head I wont give a damn what's next to it, it will be one of the best sights in pinball

#9787 7 years ago

Not my idea "alveolus" mentioned it a dozen posts or so further up, but watching the Alien promo video back with "alveolus" suggestion in my head makes the whole Xeno ball attack/eat so much better, the promo video is really well lite for obvious reasons so we can see everything clearly but, watch the promo and imagine the playfield GI off or flickering and flashers going off (strobe effect) especially a couple close to the Xeno with Alien hissing sound effects & holy sh*t its a game changer!

Go watch it back for yourself with those thoughts in mind

#9801 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I don't really get wanting to have some static art you never really look at over a large animated display. Who really looks at backglass art when the game is off? When it's on you're playing it.

I have a 65" 4K Ultra HD OLED TV on my wall at home, but I still look at the art I have on the walls in my house

However Alien is a theme that needs the big screen in the back box as the motion and lighting and atmosphere in the films plays such a huge part of the immersion of the world we are going to be playing in, but I wouldn't say no to a kick ass Alien LE translite to hang on my wall next to my pin, I know I would look at it.

#9871 7 years ago

I would just like to see the Queen modes on the backbox LCD I don't care if there on all 3 screens at once but the queen up on the big 27" display and the playfield LCD in the players eye line would just be pure immersion especially if there is a mode from the end of Aliens trying to escape her lair and the countdown till the nuke gets dropped having that on the big screen would be awesome, with the queen looking down on the player!

#9929 7 years ago

Just finished watching Alien, Aliens & Alien 3 to start the new year in preparation of an Alien pin landing in my game room this year

#9946 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

The other being whether any good-looking alternative powder coat options will be offered.
I was apparently one of the very few still potentially interested in a small backbox screen option, however, so perhaps I'm just in the minority here too.

Gloss black is what I am doing for my powder coat, something as close to the Alien skin/colour as possible

I think I remember Andrew (Heighway) mentioning the small backbox screen is no longer an option, its either full translite or the 27" lcd

EDIT: thanks to nephasth below for confirming

#9958 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Progress is obviously slower than what anyone wants, but there *is* progress... a development machine has finally landed in the programmer's house! For me this counts as the start of the final stretch...

Might only be a development machine but it's great to see a physical machine in house so to speak.

From what I've seen up to this point in teases and reveals the modes and code look great so far, having a game in hand can only mean you will make the code a standout game and something special

#9965 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Choreography polish - more/better lighting shows is the big one, but also tweaking the A/V effects overall to be as immersive as we can. We all know atmosphere is a big deal for this theme

If any requests can be made by the community Ferret, if its not already an idea or plan you have could you please see if its possible to make the games lighting flicker and strobe during the Xeno ball grab/eat?

Watching the reveal video back with that effect in mind, the darkness with flashing and strobing light effects like those used so well in the films when revealing the Alien & Aliens would make the Xeno ball eat one of the best looking scenes in any pin.

#9967 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Funny you should mention that... on our weekly status call two days ago, heighwaypinball was specifically talking about that very effect. So yeah, I think that'll make it in.

Yeah I may have pm'd Andrew that suggestion/request a couple times

Great news that it's going to make the cut into the finished game, Alien just keeps getting better and better

#10010 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I admit I don't know the difference between Alien and Aliens. I'm considering the pin once I see a bit more of it.

It is really easy here is an AlienAline (resized).jpgAline (resized).jpg
And here are some Aliens aliens (resized).jpgaliens (resized).jpg

#10016 7 years ago

Any update Andrew regarding how builds are coming along? Are you looking on track to meet/make January dates you set at the end of last year? Would just be great to know now things are going, cannot wait to see these start shipping.

#10045 7 years ago

Doesn't matter if the armour is pink and purple I plan on getting a SE with every available upgrade and going Alien gloss black with a hint of silver/grey for my armour

#10046 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

It shouldn't strobe the player. The playfield, display, and back box should be totally dark with a flasher spotlight strobing on the alien as it eats the ball.

I like that idea but wouldn't want everything else of, it would maybe work better if the screens could almost appear faulty like the systems have crashed.

There where some scenes where monitors where just fuzz or broken displays, if animations replicating that could be done it would really immerse the player, like the characters where left feeling on there own

#10049 7 years ago

23 Standards are on the line. Parts are arriving every day.
We are flat out finishing the first 3 games for EAG next week. This is the major European coin-op trade show in Europe.
We aim to have 3 x Aliens there and 3 x Full Throttles.
With heavy snowfall forecast over the next 24 hours, we are hoping the roads will be clear as more parts are due to be collected tomorrow.
Finishing off the other 20 SEs won't take long. Most parts are in stock. LEs still on course for next month.

Thank you for the information and update Andrew and best of luck to the entire team getting games shipped.

Will you be releasing any information on the official mods you teased/mentioned a few pages back? Do you have a list of potential ideas? I'll take a pulse rifle shooter handle and a MU-TH-UR 6000 credit button LCD touch pad

#10057 7 years ago

Andrew the feature matrix is great, but will there be a price list for the additional extras/add ons? Do you have one you could post or is the pricing still TBD?

#10067 7 years ago

Thanks man, never even seen that page of their site

#10074 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone heard what type of finish the powder coating will be on Alien LE? I've been really impressed with the metallic looking powder coat job on WOZ. A metallic green or blue would really pop on Alien versus a regular baked on look.

Instead of a smooth pristine finish on the coloured LE models, a worn weathered look could be a great fit for the feel of the films where the environments always looked very lived in and used, after all Alien isn't about being New and shiny it's about claustrophobic dark dingy environments this ain't no Star Trek

#10076 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Haha kind of like acdc side art. Someone came and saw my acdc and said what happened!! Then realized its made too looked chipped on purpose. It would be cool to see it look purposely worn out like it was in a battle of something.

Worn armour would look pretty cool, could always get a little airbrushing done to add some bullet holes and acid burns

#10079 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Imagine getting your brand new alien in and grabbing your 5 pound sledgehammer. "Sorry honey just need to go into the basement and add some texture to my brand new machine!!! Btw where do you keep your gun...this this could use some bullet holes!"

I was just going to be mine airbrushed but your way sounds a lot more fun

#10300 7 years ago

If there is a self destruct mode/hurry up with the beacons going with playfield flashers and some of the GI out that's going to be great and really immersive, if there are plenty of moments like this in alien then the last thing anyone is going to be worried about is the size of the beacons.

#10303 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've owned several F-14 pins since 1992, and I still reckon the multiball start when all the 3 lights start up is one of the coolest things in pinball.
That is all.
rd

Agreed, the beacons can easily be changed which makes their current size a non issue as long as the immersion is there Alien will be amazing with big or small beacons

#10323 7 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Yeah, I like the "squared-off" light better, but I like the taller light better than a low profile one. I want the light sweeping around the room "proper"-like!

I'm hoping for that too. Can't wait to see one in person!

The taller profile of the beacons will certainly allow the light to sweep the room better so that's a plus and like a lot have said its a really simple aspect of the game/package to mod if the buyer wants to.

I like the idea of hurry up modes with the beacons flashing, Alien hurry ups and self destruct hurry ups with the beacons spinning, MUTHUR voice over going the countdown and alarms/sirens (sound lifted from the films) would make for some sweaty palm moments

#10326 7 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

David Thiel mentioned specifically at last year's Expo that the MUTHUR voice-overs on the Alien pin are custom call-outs by a sound-alike (which just so happens to be his wife)...
Later,
EV

Thanks for the reminder EV, I know what I have heard so far in previous and gameplay videos sounds pretty indistinguishable from the movie original, when ever David is involved/lead on sound you know your ears are in for a treat.

#10345 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I am fairly sure that every single switch has at least one, and in most cases multiple (depending on game state), sound effects when hit. David Thiel is very meticulous about that sort of thing, and I've been trying my best to do justice to all the assets he has provided.

Meltdown? You're looking at waaaaay old pictures. The Aliens mini-wizard mode is Loader Battle, representing the climactic battle between Ripley (in the power loader exoskeleton) and the Alien Queen.
They're vaguely similar to each other yet quite different. Both have three phases. In the first phase of Self Destruct, you activate the self-destruct sequence of the Nostromo, then run around the ship gathering supplies (including Jonesy! must have cat) and evacuating to the escape shuttle before the Nostromo blows up. In the second phase, you're in the shuttle discovering the alien hiding there, blasting it out the airlock, and torching it to smithereens. If you're successful at all that, the scene converts to a victory multiball where you can rack up big points. (This victory phase has some very clever and unexpected displays that go with it... I'll save the details for people to discover in the game. )
In Loader Battle, the first phase involves you fist-fighting (for lack of a better word -- watch Aliens to understand!) the Alien Queen until you both tumble into the Airlock. The second phase involves Ripley climbing out of the Airlock and blasting the Queen into the vacuum of space. Again, if you're successful at all this, you get promoted to a victory multiball.
In both cases, the scoring is dependent on how well you did in the other 4 of the movie's modes. You can time out all the other modes just to rush your way to the mini-wizard features (Self Destruct / Loader Battle) if you really want, but then you'll be quite disappointed in the point value of the mini-wizards. Conversely, if you kick butt in the primary modes, the mini-wizard modes become very lucrative ... which also puts more pressure on you to succeed in the first two phases of the mini-wiz modes to advance to the multiball stage with really high point values on the victory shots.

Sounds awesome Ferret, your posts about the rules, David's audio and mode integration gets me more excited for Alien than any video or image shown so far, the fact you could sell Alien on your rules alone is a clear testament to just how awesome your work on the rules sounds

I hope Heighway bring you back for pin #3, do you have lots of ideas for a Back to the Future Trilogy pin

#10398 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

these days people need a commercial tie in for some reason... themes from the past: Mice, Rafting, Magic, Knights, Rollercoasters, Tornadoes...
Motorcycle racing seems mainstream in that light.

Brand recognition and brand association are pushed down everyone's throats these days, named brands take presidence over creativity and originally these days, it sucks but it's true, most probably have the social media and celebrity endorsement/branding to thank for that.

When we see a pin themed on the Kardasians it's when we need to start worrying

#10438 7 years ago

Any ETA on the big gameplay video Andrew? Asking out of pure excitement

#10456 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

RIP. Bummer.
There go the custom Harry Potter Call outs for Heighway's next title.

He wasn't in the Back to the Future trilogy was he?

#10458 7 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

No certainly not. And we are not making a Back to the Future trilogy game, that's official.

Ah bummer would love to have seen a new BTTF never mind, but thanks for the confirmation though, knowing what is not next is almost as good as knowing what is next.

#10461 7 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I would rather an original theme for Heighway after Alien. Licensing has made this one take long enough.

That's not a bad call, unlicensed, licenced, unlicensed, licenced could be a good way of getting more games on the line and available to order plus offer up some cool licences with some unique unlicensed ideas.

#10471 7 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

No certainly not. And we are not making a Back to the Future trilogy game, that's official.

Will you be doing anymore duel movie licences? I see Alien as almost two pins in one because of the difference in tone and style between Alien and Aliens, one looks and sounds a certain way so depending which film you play I imagine the tone between the two films will change with your selection. So will you be doing any future titles in a duel/trilogy format? Reason I ask is it was a big selling factor for me for the above reasons.

#10572 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It would be nice if people realized how lucky they are that the leaders of at least two pinball companies are willing to come here and talk directly to hobbyists.
You don't see the CEO of Ford hanging out in the Ford Muscle Forums.

Apples to Oranges, Ford aren't exactly making products solely for a small yet dedicated niche market.

Based on their shareholder reports, I have trimmed the summary down:

Total 2016 U.S. sales of 2,614,697 vehicles mark Ford Motor Company’s best annual sales in a decade.
820,799 pickups in 2016, making F-Series America’s best-selling pickup for 40 years and best-selling vehicle for 35 straight years.
Ford is America’s best-selling truck brand, with 1,077,006 van, pickup and heavy truck sales last year.
Van sales totalled 240,721, a 9 percent increase and making Ford America’s bestselling commercial van for 38 straight years
Ford SUVs total 772,667, reaching best annual sales since record 2001
Lincoln sales up 10 percent in 2016

The fact their sales are increasing year on year and are as of last year at an all time high shows they must be doing things right.

I think they probably speak to their customers more than you realise? I know when I brought a new Focus RS, I got a dealership feedback survey and courtesy call after pickup, regarding the whole sales process, sales advisor and product, a survey and call after 6 months of ownership again at 12 months and at each service. Admittedly in the UK that is their premium flagship product but that's still a lot of opportunities to see how their customers are feeling about them and their product at time of purchase, 6 and 12 months of ownership.

Ford & Audi (only two I can vouch for from experience) also offer up test days to valued customers, when Audi teased the release the facelifted R8, I spent a day down at one of their main dealerships in Essex, throwing a test car around an ice track they had purposefully built to take the cars on during the winter, it was a great marketing tool but a lot of questions and feedback was encouraged about all aspects of the car.

Point being I think any successful company needs their customers feedback one way or another, pinball sales are no way in the same league as global car sales, so each company/industry needs their customers feedback which ever way suits them best, a pinball company can come here and speak to a few hundred customers and take whatever info they need from all the responses - look at the recently spooky thread and Andrew and Heighway themselves have also taken pinside and expo feedback on board to create the best possible product they can and looking at Alien I think they have succeeded!

Would the end result have been the same without the pinside interaction? Only Andrew can answer that, but its nice to think in our niche market/hobby we can help the manufacturers out with their latest and greatest as much as they can help us bringing out new games for us to play/buy and keep the hobby healthy and expand its appeal.

#10573 7 years ago

Sorry that ended up being a lot longer than I expected, time to kill at work as no one is starting any fires tonight.

#10593 7 years ago
Quoted from Almost4200hp:

I don't think so

Maybe now, I should have probably put "at the time", I'm pretty sure 2015 was the first year Ford released the mustang globally with factory produced right hand drive iterations for the UK market?

Although that ecoboost rubbish should not have a mustang badge on it

#10595 7 years ago
Quoted from Almost4200hp:

C'mon Andrew, we need the video!

Yeah we are getting desperate here

#10597 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Ford!?! I miss beacon-gate

Queen gate, board gate, beacon gate that's so 2 weeks ago, it's Ford-Gate now and if no gameplay video is posted today there will be some conspiracy theory leading to no show video-gate

#10605 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Aurich, any news on the Le art package you can discuss? Would love for you to make more Metallica mods as well.
Harley D.

Great question, if you can offer any info Aurich about the LE art, like if its complete or been approved that would be great.

#10614 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

3:05 makes me smile.

Yeah with the GI going on and off to create a strobe effect plus flashers going crazy the ball eat will look awesome!

#10642 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ack, that would be terrible. The "tongue" only moves straight forward and backward, and is directly above the center drain... so doing what you describe would most likely just slam the ball SDTM. That's not fun.
I don't know if folks have noticed one nice thing about the Xeno targets... they are two standup targets in a slight "V" configuration. What this means is that when you shoot up the middle to the Xeno, the ball will probably rebound at a slight angle, not just slam down the middle like you see too often on a shot to (AFM saucer shield / Spidey Sandman shield / Metallica Sparky / TWD Prison / etc). Good attention to detail by ealadubhsidhe.

I might have missed it in some of the videos but when the Xeno is not setup or ready to attack/eat the ball, will the magnet in front of the Xeno pulse and whip the ball back at the player/flippers?

#10658 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Yes. Well, it pulses. Sometimes it flings toward the flippers, sometimes it goes sideways into the egg bumpers or into a post, sometimes it has no apparent effect. Typical magnet randomness.

Yeah that's all I wanted to hear, I guess I am easily pleased but spinners and magnets that "fight back" as well as hold a pinball are two simple but amazing features I never get bored of, can never have too many spinners or crazy magnet tricks

#10715 7 years ago

We have been asked how the rotating beacons on Alien Pinball look in a dark room. This short video, taken at Pinball Expo in Chicago in October 2016, show them in action.
These beacons are standard on our Limited Edition model, and an optional extra on our Standard Edition model.
» YouTube video

Look great Andrew!

Just the translite and the sideart

Any ETA on LE artwork? I know some are getting restless, is there any issue with LE art or just licensor taking their time? Hopefully ease the minds of those concerned.

#10717 7 years ago

We expect to be able to show LE art within 2 weeks. If this date shifts, then I will report it here. Needless to say, we must have full approval before we can ship LE games - so we are going through due process, as a priority.
I hope that doesn't sound too vague.
It just so happens that the LE art is the last piece of this puzzle.

Great, thanks for the response Andrew, I wanted to ask more so for those who seem to be getting concerned, so its great to hear the LE art is with FOX and its them holding things up. Personally I cant wait to see the gameplay video followed by me having an Alien in my home!

#10727 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks for the confirmation ice

I think it's great to see Andrew finally addressing the refund elephant in the room, it's one of the reasons I want to support Heighway, whenever there is a criticism or the ball is maybe dropped for a second, Andrew & Heighway as a team always seem to ensure it's addressed and don't allow it to escalate beyond what is reality.

Communication is a beautiful thing

#10729 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I had a good conversation with Andrew today and ended up NOT requesting a refund. He contacted me first to see if I wanted to follow through with the refund, provided me with a good update along with info i was seeking and i decided to stick it out a little longer.
He did offer it and said he would process it immediately but my fickle nature took over and stayed in! I really want these guys to succeed on what could be a great pin.

Glad to hear your sticking with it iceman44 you would have definitely ended up regretting loosing your LE position.

We all know you are stupid but not that stupid love you really

#10758 7 years ago

With all the new posts I thought the gameplay video had dropped

#10833 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's already been said they'll be black instead of white, and I offered anyone who wants art for it to provide it if they don't like the black.
So no, being upset still seems stupid. You spent all this time photoshopping up things instead of reading I guess.

I will be interested in the art Aurich thanks for that offer to everyone! Curious though is there any reason games aren't using the art you have instead of standard black?

Even if they where an additional mod for a few quid I would still be interested, the more art the better, art looks killer combined with the populated playfield

#10857 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

This playfield has a number of unique, and very fun looking shots. It's nice to see something beyond the standard fan layout. It looks like the upper left flipper may be something of a challenge to get to. What happens when the bumpers drop the ball into the top of the chestburster lane, but the controlled drop is still up? Or does it automatically drop whenever the bumpers are activated?

Yeah the layout looks great, I know of quite a few non pinheads looking at buying an Alien because of theme but also because it looks loaded! Most of them are waiting to see what Heighway game no.3 is though as most don't have the room for more than one game and the swap out design of Heighway game is another big draw for people who unlike us don't want a house full of pins.

#10861 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

When is the next Heighway pin supposed to be announced?

No idea, right now its all Alien, only mentioned Heighway #3 because it clearly shows their approach to a swappable system could be a major attraction for new customers as Heighway moves forward after Alien. Alien should put them on the map in a BIG way!

#10901 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Are people in this thread *really* comparing Heighway to Stern in terms of what kind of progress updates they "owe" us?

The only thing this thread needs in terms of updates or what's owed etc etc

Is the big gameplay promo video

And a photo of those 20 SEs going out the doors to customers

Pictures speak louder than words, that way questions from all sides are answered and put to bed.

#10960 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

So... that was the big update. Can't get much bigger than that.

Trucks leaving stacked front to back with Alien pins will be as big as it gets, that will be good to see!

#10982 7 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

Didn't David Thiel say he was waiting for a machine to finalize the sounds? (maybe I saw that on Facebook) so perhaps it's going to him. Or even better, maybe it's going to a distributor, such as nitro which is just down the road from me! One can hope!

Would make sense, would be pretty expensive and pointless Heighway just shipping out one customers game alone instead of a truck load. The more hands on David can get with the finished pin the better for all of our ears

#10985 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

air frieght is 1 at a time and the shipping company picks them up. Guessing the first ones will almost all go freight as buyers are willing to pay the extra to get the game sooner
I would have to assume down the line that they will go out by the truckload or more likely boatload.
I am glad the line is starting to move and Heighway seems to have a measure approach of getting the first few out slowly and ramping up pace and things get worked out.

Wasn't aware of that, makes sense and totally agree when truckloads are leaving the factory that's going to be a great thing too see.

#11042 7 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Just need to see a few more ship (and decide what I need to sell to find the room).
Nice looking and sounding pin so far though. Can't wait to see some more game-play videos.

I'll take that TRON LE off your hands to help fund your purchase of an Alien

#11050 7 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Next to LOTR, that would be the last one to go. Besides, it is my wife's favorite pin and the only one other than IM that she plays. If it ever comes up for sale you will know that she is getting rid of me. LOL

Well in that case tell her I'll take you with the TRON LE and I'll put an Alien in your new room here.... pretty good deal, housemate?

#11175 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

No matter how many times it's been asked and they answer hostility with a level headed friendly response. Must be a British thing.

We are quite a patient bunch, it is British to be polite I guess but we also like to deal with things head on when enough is enough

As a country we are quite tolerante but will deal with and don't tolerate fools yet the irony in that is often it's fools running our country

#11268 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

they are awesome! You can literally unscrew the whole mech with the standard 8 screws (actually better than standard since they are inset into a female reciever in the of), disconnect the wires, and drop the entire and correctly aligned flipper in under 30 seconds.
This makes it easy to just drop a new flipper mech in or work on the one you pulled on the bench/table.
It is a genius idea and very well engineered IMO.
The white pf insert for this will be black. You are just seeing one of the first few Aliens to go out which has the white inserts still.

I am also pretty sure Aurich also mentioned he could supply people with the art file for the infill areas, if people wanted to create their own decals, which is a great little thing to offer up for people interested

#11359 7 years ago

Not sure if I have missed it but regarding the hyperspace chamber will it be able to lock physically as an option? Or has the mech been removed completely?

#11362 7 years ago

That's not actually true. There 'is' a ball lock there - but it just locks a single ball, then releases it again

Thanks for the clarification. Just a quick question though is that lock physically able to lock more than one ball Andrew? Say if it was an option in the software for example? Could the lock withstand/function to do that task?

#11364 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Are both Standard & LE , Wide Body? Its the exact same playfield design for both , right ?

Yeah both playfields are physically identical, other than the LE specific fibre optic ramp lights.

#11386 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sad to hear about Bill Paxton Only 61 too, wow. He was great in Aliens, Twister, Titanic, and Apollo 13.
Hopefully there is a lot of "Hudson" in Heighways game, including video clips from Aliens.
Edit: I saw a post earlier from David Thiel that so far there's 121 callouts for Bill Paxton's character Hudson in the game
Here's a cool video of the cast of Aliens reuniting after 30 years, Bill Paxton is there.
» YouTube video

Don't forget Terminator, small part but still cool non the less. One of only two men in history to take on a Terminator a Predator and a horde of Aliens, what a career

#11433 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Is there any word of how many LE's they're making?

500 LE games.

#11603 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's it. Pretty easy too.
Side note, Back boxes come off on their games with 2(?) connectors. Makes moving easier. I think you could actually play the game without a backbox

Do you have the backbox screen on your Full Throttle? If not are you getting Alien with or without backbox screen?

Just curious from someone who's currently a Heighway owner and saying you could play the pin without the backbox just wondering what you have chose, thanks.

#11811 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

This game is going to be more than I think Stern is anticipating. For what we are paying, we are getting FAR more than what they charge for an LE.

If orders keep flying in like they have on the last couple of pages of this thread Stern will certainly be taking notice.

If Heighway #3 has the same universal appeal and hardcore fan base as the Alien licence then Stern could start haemorrhaging sales and will most definitely feel it.

#11841 7 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Some great replies, I like the one that said if you can afford both buy both. Ha I wish

Is space an issue? That's another plus that Alien has over GB with its modular/interchangable design.

#11876 7 years ago

Ramps, plain? I must be looking at a different game, because the ramps look fantastic and fit the theme perfectly with there industrial/futuristic look.

#11906 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So it's just a Cointaker Shaker and we could add one later if we wanted to?
Also....how hard would it be to just your own EL lighting to the side blades on Alien? I can't imagine it would be that difficult.

Did wicker buy his FT through Cointaker? That might explain why he has a CT shaker in his game? I can't imagine Heighway would ship over CT shakers to put in games sold in Europe, so maybe shakers depend on local suppliers in that games region?

#11916 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

No, CT shaker also in Europe. The red tremor one.

Thanks PinballRulez for the info. I have heard they are the HULK of the shaker world and shake your game around pretty hard

#11922 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

For those who want to tame the shaker, this image shows a great way to do it.

I think you have a shaker fetish chuck

#11926 7 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Now the "fiber optic" lighting for $800, someone explain THAT one to me...

At a guess there is the hardware:

Fiber optics themselves
Additional power supply maybe?
Driver blocks/emitters to run them
Additional board/s
Additional wiring/harness/connectors and misc hardware

And then maybe some behind the scenes costs incurred:

Additional code to make them interactive
Additional install time on the assembly line.

For a really good price comparison the Tron Pro Ramp kit was what $400/$450 and as amazing as the kit was (possibly one of the best mods ever) I would like to think Heighway is offering a superior product.

#11928 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder where the fiber optic ramp lighting will run on Alien. Will it only be on the plastic return areas or can we expect it to extended along the entire ramp, including the metal ramp itself?

I'd love to see something a little more creative with the fiber optics, we have seen solid colours and flashes back on TRON

Apart from on the Nostromo I can't remember many fully functional lights in either Alien or Aliens, it would be awesome if you start out and they function 100% and as you progress into the game if the ramps could pulse and flicker - almost as if the game is deteriorating as the environments do in the films once shit hits the fan.

Then again I wouldn't mind this feature on the entire games lighting. And we need red GI (can't remember if Aline has RGB GI) during ambush just finished watching Aliens again and the lighting during the ambush and Hudsons last scene pure adrenaline inducing!

#11931 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I think this is a great suggestion! Nice shiny ship slowly goes dark and dirty..

The thought popped into my head watching Aliens tonight.

In Alien the Nostromo is super clean and bright everything is crisp by the third act the things falling apart, flickering lights, steam vents blowing off, power outages in corridors etc

Aliens follows a similar pattern except the Marine team replaces the Nostromo they start out fully loaded suited up by mid way they are in tatters and lost half the team not to mention the environments begin to get messed up from Alien ambushes and gun fights.

Just thought it would be cool if the pin could somehow recreate those subtle but immersive trademark.

#11959 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

I'm different... just getting backglass art on ours. Only upgrade I may try to add is the shaker.
So looking forward to Alien!

If you want the 27" LCD on future Heighway releases at a guess I'm pretty sure you could add it to a game kit, so it's not like you can't get it down the road, that's one of the biggest advantages of having a swappable system.

#11961 7 years ago
Quoted from conester:

For me, it is a no brainer on the LCD screen. If you are buying this machine, you HAVE to have the 27" screen! When you see one in person, it looks amazing!! Hell, I went with the PDI glass on my LE and I don't have that on any other pins in my collection. When you are spending this kind of money, what's another $250. Go big or go home baby!!! #131...whohoo!!!
Brian

It gets even better if your looking long term as a Heighway customer, providing Heighway can get game 3 and 4 out and they are desirable themes/games that you want, it makes the upgrades cheaper with each additional game Heighway get out the doors and into your hands.

#11966 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have the perfect themes for Heighway #3 and #4 Robocop based on 1 and 2 like Alien you choose the film with lots of Multi's then Predator same thing choose 1 or 2, I would be a happy boy but also poor as I would have to have them all in their own cabs and all LE versions but what a line up.

At least for any future movie based licences I think the franchise approach (multiple films) is great, give Heighway more material to use and buyers feel like they are getting two games in one almost with the flexibility and added content the game can be based on.

Robocop 1 & 2 would be great but there is only 1 Predator film

#11970 7 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The Robocop reboot, when that was in development hell, was actually one of the potential licenses that was offered to us about four years ago when the company was still in relative infancy and finding its long-term creative feet. It didn't take us twenty seconds to comply; it took us the time to process in the Batman suit and exposed hand to turn it down and run away.
The other one, which actually did get some early development time to explore the potential for an interesting and unique game, was Russell Crowe's Noah; as in 'Noahbody else is going to be touching this one with a barge pole'.

Phew the Robocop reboot was trash! Would love to see you guys tackle the original 2 movies that would be awesome!

Would love to have a row of Heighway pins based the very best 80s & 90s action movies.

Alien 1&2
Die Hard 1&2 (I'll take a trilogy pin)
Robocop 1&2
Predator 1
Terminator 1&2

Sign me up

#11984 7 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

I would like to see Alien LE art package at first before driving myself nuts with respect to the 3rd game title

Quoted from bemmett:

Yes what is the word on LE artwork, kind of shocking that is still not been shown or approved and games are shipping out?!

You get the standard art with the LE right? So if you like all the features and the idea of an LE jump on board and if the LE art is not to your liking just swap in the SE art.

#12035 7 years ago

This is an R Rated Alien thread, guns, gore and cool catchphrases only, keep your thoughts about little boys and there wands to yourself

#12068 7 years ago

Aslong as Heighway distributors have a cabinet only option to go along with full game and kit options I don't see why kit prices would devslue any more than a full game, providing kit prices are competitive enough to offer a signification insentive to buy over a full game in the first place.

#12079 7 years ago

There have been rumours coming out of Fox for a few years now that since Marvels success with the MCU, that upper execs at FOX have wanted to expand the Alien franchise into a "shared/expanded" universe.

I just hope Covenant is better than Prometheus, I thought Ressurection was bad but Prometheus was bad & boring!

#12083 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Can't get excited about Alien movies any more. I understand they make money, so they'll keep coming, but they don't seem able to come close to the earlier achievements.
It was exciting that a real sequel to Aliens was considered and bringing back Hicks with Ripley, but that idea was shitcanned, and all the other ideas they have are garbage.

Alien went the same way as other iconic franchises: Terminator & Predator are the best and most similar examples after the first 2 (although I like Alien 3, would loved to have seen a hidden ladder in the pin with Alien 3 modes) the series all took a huge dive bomb in quality.

Yeah Ridley coming back to the franchise really shafted Blomkamp and his vision for Alien 5, Sigourney, Biehn and even Cameron where all on board with his screenplay and script.

#12095 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I already have a router and if I wanted to build my own pinball cabinets I wouldn't have dropped $7k supporting the company so they could, in part, bring Alien in to production.

Couldn't agree more, it's bizarre that in this hobby any questioning of an issue is instantly whining or bashing. With the way Heighway has setup their swappable system I'm sure there are multiple options so early Heighway customers don't feel left in the cold.

Cabinet only option is one easy solution to allow users a quick and cheap upgrade option, it would also allow anyone with a kit in the future they decide to turn into a dedicated game to buy a cabinet only and drop their kit into it.

If cabinet only is something Heighway consider could offer self assembly or pre built by offering self assembly (replacement panels for damaged route pins) users could just buy two new side cabinet panels again another simple solution, so no customers are ever left behind.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

I was using the crying pic because I was sad...sad that people didn't agree with me on the internet!! Pleeeeease validate me!!

IMG_1195 (resized).JPGIMG_1195 (resized).JPG

#12105 7 years ago

I have given this a lot of thought and as a company we will now consider 2 options:
1. We offer a vinyl or laminated Alien Pinball blade decal, or laminated graphic. It may, or may not, be possible to also light this with an EL panel kit.
2. We offer an inner cabinet ply carcass, with the recessed blade sides. I believe this could be flat packed (think Ikea) to save on shipping. The carcass would need to be assembled and everything related to the existing cabinet could then need to be swopped across to the new cabinet carcass, including the outer cabinet panels.
Both options are viable and the latter would also be financially viable, if customers are prepared to undertake the swap.

Perfect solution for all current and future Heighway customers, now that's out of the way what's next?....

#12124 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Kits sound good on paper to guys who are out of space. Otherwise, not so much.

So most of us in Europe then, we unfortunately don't have as much space as you lucky pinheads in the US.

Quoted from SadSack:

The unrecognized problem is that storing a PF takes nearly as much space as a game.

I reckon I can get two crated playfield kits under a single cabinet/game. I can also store about 30 crates on my mezzanine storage, can't get a single game up there.

Quoted from SadSack:

I can't believe reduced cost would be a driver on buying a kit.

If I can get another game (that I can swap out in 2-5minutes, not much longer than it takes to remove and replace glass) and at 50-60% of the cost of a full game, it would make it very tempting!

#12180 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Yes, all three APC drop targets are shootable from the UL flipper... though it's not necessarily a good idea, could cause some wicked side-to-side motion. Personally I'd rather let the ball fall from the saucer without flipping (should roll nicely into the left inlane) and shoot the drops from the LL flipper.
BTW, a couple weeks ago I reduced the power on the saucer kickout... makes the ball come out a little slower and thus makes UL flipper shots a bit easier. IMHO nicer for the difficult Chestburster and Vent 2 shots.

Love the tiny details and insights you give us regarding how and why you are tweaking certain things

#12191 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

A Weyland-Yutani playfield container would look sweet in my gameroom

Oh that needs to be done! I would happily pay a little more for custom game cases, great idea

#12199 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just an FYI. Heighway is speaking tomorrow at 4pm at The Texas Pinball Festival. Hopefully we hear some good things about Alien.

Quoted from JeffF:

Agreed! I just hope someone is extremely nice and posts a video of it on Youtube.

Yeah if anyone could record it on an iPad or something or maybe take some notes and post them here that would be awesome!!

#12208 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

LE artwork there to be shown and get the LEs shipping out?!

After Texas they are going to need to get production ramped up, if the game plays as good as it's looking now I can see a lot of new orders coming in after this weekend.

#12242 7 years ago

The Paxton tribute is already in the software as part of the Combat Drop mode.

Truly a classy move

#12250 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

FT has it all around all the ramps(and the entire game is ramps!)...how in the hell are they cramming that much in there!?

He must be referring to the games overall wiring, FT ramps cant be 18m long if each ramps side/edge was laid out in one continuous line & Aliens ramps are not nearly 3 times longer surely

#12295 7 years ago

Did anyone manage to record the whole presentation from start to finish?

#12357 7 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

I'm just thinking back to the old days when this was good enough to make us drool and open our wallets. It even had a real plunger!

I guess if it's possible per Heighway, if your unsure and undecided you can add the monitor at a later date with a future game kit with LCD upgrade!?

#12418 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Where are the slingshot facehuggers?

No time for facehuggers, Ferret has got coding to do

Quoted from Ferret:

Hey, I'm using that score at league tonight! I need every point I can get...

I am sure your place is the now the league venue for the year what with an Alien in the lineup

#12458 7 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

And include or offer mylar around the magnet area.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something added at the factory on production games to the magnet, even if its one of cliffys magnet rings - which work great btw!

#12489 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Pinball is a solid hobby money wise, but a weak investment in nearly any case.

Pinball related fun is the best investment out there

#12494 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Isn't the stock market like 20x what it was in the 80's?

Nope it's still as boring now as it was in the 80s when compared to pinball, Andrew please release some new info, can't take much more of this stocks and shares talk, need my Alien pinball fix

#12583 7 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

we want to play pinball... on a new alien machine

Even Aliens want to play Alien pinball

IMG_1552 (resized).JPGIMG_1552 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#12737 7 years ago

Happy Alien Easter Everyone!

IMG_1790 (resized).JPGIMG_1790 (resized).JPG

#12777 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

» YouTube video
Should be linked right as the mode is starting in that video.

Well that's f'n awesome! Alien genuinely has some of the best lighting effects in a pin.

#12779 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I have a chance to get a standard model Alien on the next CoinTaker shipment as a spots opened up. Would you guys say wait or go ahead and get the game? I assume, should probably confirm with Heighway, that no more production changes are planned if games are going to a distributor? Still, an LE does sound nice, damn it I can't decide, lol.

If it's a finalised production model with all the final production parts - light and xeno boards I say go for it Panzer! Doesn't a SE with all the extras work out a little cheaper in the US compared to an LE?

#12781 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the LE would be about $900-$1100 more for me versus a standard.

In that case what are you waiting for? That's a good about towards a Heighway kit (game #3 maybe? ) get it ordered

#12783 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Haha, yeah that is true! I think the LE is going to be awesome for Alien. Lots of extra being offered for a reasonable price and with 500 being made it seems more limited compared to other LE titles out there.

True it all depends how patient you are, I literally have no patience so when I want something if I can get it now I will, the only thing that would stop me in your position is the wait on the LE art, it could be awesome but other than that what extras are there on the LE (other than the usual numbered plaques & certificates) that you can't add to a SE - that along with the kit model is the biggest selling point of Heighway imo everything is accessible through upgrades.

#12867 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I've been watching lots of these twitch feeds from early adopters, and it seems that Hypersleep & Nute Multiball are somewhat difficult to achieve.
Getting Nute Multiball seems pretty straightforward, just keep going for lifecycles to start, like around 8 shots I think. Seems like starting Nute first before diving into modes might be a good strategy.

IMG_1905 (resized).JPGIMG_1905 (resized).JPG

Any true Aliens fan will get the play on words

#12879 7 years ago

Matt @ Back Alley or maybe even Brock needs to make a PinGulp cover so the PinGulp can look like an Aliens/Facehugger Egg

#12892 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I thought of the same idea for this target now. Make it pulse color to a blood red! Simulate the chest bursting

IMG_2068 (resized).JPGIMG_2068 (resized).JPG

#12895 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I thought of the same idea for this target now. Make it pulse color to a blood red! Simulate the chest bursting

There has been some great suggestions in this thread, some of which Ferret has implemented, like the strobing and flashing lights of the Xeno, but this one has to make it into the game!

#12917 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah...right. If that were the case SE's would be getting cranked out right now...but they are not. We have zero information when Fox will approve LE art. Andrew is pushing for Alien day but Fox might care less. There is also a huge backlog of ordered SE's that have not hit the line yet.

Is there any reason for the production line to not have cranked up SE numbers? Last I heard/read was new boards where in and all production parts where on route, has there been an update I have missed regarding boards again?

#13011 7 years ago

I notice the video says artwork subject to approval, so does that mean this LE artwork still hasn't been approved by FOX yet?

#13030 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

On the fence on the fiber optics too...not a fan of how they are attached to the ramps and not sure the neon look is right for this theme.?

Yeah I felt the same way as soon as I saw the fiber opioids, neon just isn't Alien, I was hoping the ramp lights would almost degrade as you progressed deeper into the game, start of ball one ramp lighting would be solid (although change colour red for ambush etc) and by the time you are few modes in they start to flicker, similar to how the environments from the first two films degrade as we get deeper into the films.

#13269 6 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Placing my order with Melissa at Cointaker for a standard. Really looking forward to this game.

Congrates! After seeing the LE reveal, its helped me settle on a SE, once the production line is pumping out games and I can simply drive to Heighway and pick one up the same day I will be getting a SE with shaker and EL blades, might go for the EL ramps but I need to see how they look and integrate first as neon just doesn't feel right with this theme, if they can flicker and do some cool lighting effects I will be all over them

#13272 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I can't find conclusive info if the new Alien film is 3D or not!

Wasn't shooting Covenant in 3D abandoned early on in production? Pretty sure there where reports saying as much. Also all my local cinemas don't have 3D as an option just standard and IMAX.

#13276 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That's what I thought as well....BUT, then I saw a teaser trailer that had the 3D logo at the end.
My advance tickets say Imax 2D...

Same here TED, IMAX already booked, would have been cool if Heighway could have got the LEs out to customers with a free ticket to Covenant in the goodie bag, little brand promotion and a nice surprise to buyers and fans

#13317 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

The LE buyers who think they are getting four blackglasses I think will be in for a surprise.

At this stage of the game there should no longer be any surprises all SE/LE details should be confirmed now (unless they already have and I missed it) to allow people to swap from SE to LE or vice versa prior to production ramping up.

I can see more people upgrading from SE to LE than downgrading especially if the LE extras and goodies are solid! So it would be in Heighways best interests to confirm all details including genuine production timelines.

#13319 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

i was thinking the opposite. Doesn't seem like there is enough bang for the buck on the LE over a SE.. quite a bit extra money and its basically the same game with some extra lights & hand drawn art!

That's why I followed that up immediately with "if the LE features and extra goodies are solid".

As far as I know the extra goodies of the LE haven't been 100% confirmed which goes back to my original point at this stage there should be no more surprises or questions for buyers everything should be 100% confined and finalised now.

#13332 6 years ago

All I know is rarely 3D is rarely done properly or enhances a movie.

TRON Legacy and Avatar has some of the best 3D and Prometheus had some phenomenal 3D which actually enhanced the experience especially when David activates that holographic world map

Anyway back to Alien Pinball! HeighwayPinball now LE artwork delays are dealt with can you provide a definitive production timeline?

#13551 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

If a person wanted to replace the silver legs with black ones, what would you use? Stern legs, Williams legs? Is there a difference?
Ok its seems there are different lengths.
Q: What Length legs does Alien use?
Q: Is the bolt hole spacing standard across lengths?

The Full Throttle Red LE comes with black legs from Heighway, I'm sure if black legs was a deal maker/breaker for you then asking Andrew about a set of black legs direct from him with your Alien could be easily arranged, saves you sourcing a set of legs just open your Alien NIB with black legs included

#13570 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

I too thought that could be easily arranged. When I order mine I requested black legs. I was told only silver legs will be available on the SE...

I'm sure if it was a deal breaker it could be arranged on an individual basis, its definitely worth asking and stating how important it is to your order, chucksmith it's always worth asking, just ignore Wickerman2 downvoting the suggestion he has a hard-on for me and can't help himself

Edit: see took him less than two minutes, got my own obsessive fan, but if I can bring just a little joy to your tragic existence man then let's share the love brother!

#13572 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

dude, you're weird. Your post was incorrect, thus disagree, thus downvote. Let's grow up and stick to the pinball facts.

Incorrect? Didn't realise you worked for Heighway and knew for certain if someone was willing to pay the extra for black legs they wouldn't be able to.

Heighway is a start up I'm sure if enough customers wanted black legs it wouldn't make sense to turn those orders away when black legs could be added as an extra to guarantee another order, that's just smart business, but I'm sure you will disagree like usual

#13574 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Heighway is a start up I'm sure if enough customers wanted black legs it wouldn't make sense to turn those orders away when black legs could be added as an extra to guarantee another order, that's just smart business, but I'm sure you will disagree like usual

Well since you totally ignored the actual context of my post. As I said if enough orders showed interest in particular option such as black legs as a start up it would be hard to ignore if it ment locking in number of additional orders.

#13600 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

This is not a game a newbie or a hyper-critical person will walk up to (without knowing rules etc) and enjoy.

The 4 flippers alone will take dozens of game to get used to. Having to look at the playfield screen for info and recognizing the subtlety of the minor inserts; all while trying to keep the ball alive, is a lot to take in.
The point of the greatness of this game is there IS a lot to take in. This is what we want in a home use (or even location) game : Depth and challenge.

There is such a thing as "too complicated" for the casual player. A little push into learning the basics that is built into the machine would go a long way on this title IMO. There are so many shots to keep track of , it needs to be "super obvious" as to what is the important shot.

I would urge people who did not enjoy there first experience to revisit the game. Take Ferrets rule guide with you and try again.

That's the brilliance of the work Ferret has done with the code, it's designed for players by a player and good one from what I hear

#13612 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

But I'll do some testing this afternoon and see if I can replicate that with current code.

Possible bug reported and it gets tested later the same day. Now that's what you call code support

#13651 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I got through the Alien mini-wizard mode Self-Destruct, (at least I'm pretty sure I completed it), on Saturday morning while streaming and I made a highlight of it. Finished the game with 245 million my second best so far. Anyway figured some of you may be interested in seeing it and the awesome light show for the mode, others may want to wait.
SPOILER ALERT Don't watch if you don't want to see one of the mini wizard modes.
» YouTube video

Thanks for the video @tsskinne, the lighting on Self Destruct looks awesome, it perfectly captures the feel of the scene even without the backbox beacons, great work Ferret brilliant attention to detail.

#13695 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Yes, the new Design Zeno Mechanism

Do you know what the changes/improvements to the mech are? If it was annouced I must have missed it but curious to know what's been changed/improved for production games, currently trying to lineup a SE for my lineup

BTW congrates on your game heading your way, you maybe one of the first Pinsiders to receive a production model.

#13701 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont know the specific changes but can likely explain the issues with the original beta ones and what the change is.
Original ones used a micro controer for the jaw and then a geared motor to move the tounge. Original ones also relied on the pf magnet to catch the ball and the sideways opto to then register the ball was caught before the jaw would engage and the tounge would come out.
A few issues with this were that it had a very tight tolerance for everything to work exactly as planned and if the tounge was out but a ball was still in play on the pf then it could smash into the tounge. That smash could cause the tounge to lodge/stick. A robust built mech so not a big deal to unstick, but needed to be done by hand.
Last I heard the new mech has an improved logic, better micro controllers, and the ability to unstick itself in the case it needs to (in short, if the order of operations fails in the middle then the game will jsut correct itself)
I am looking forward to what the new mech actually looks like. I had some long conversations with some of the team members about it and I am sure it will be a nice improvement.

Cool sounds good thanks for the write up, new mech sounds like it's been nicely bullet proofed

#13767 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

All modes are timed (*), but some are timed in seconds, and others are timed as point value countdowns. The modes with second timers should all show a timer on the Airlock LCD. The modes with point value countdowns currently show the point value on the main screen instead. There's a decent chance this may change a bit once Airlock LCD choreography is finalized, which it certainly is not yet. Either way, all modes should have some indication somewhere that you need to get moving. Please let me know if this is not the case for you.
(* this is only half true for mini-wiz modes)

Quoted from Ferret:

Wholeheartedly agree, with shout-outs also to tsskinne, WhySnow, and Chris Meyers. The dev team has learned a lot from the feedback and streams of the early owners. We've been consuming every bit of this information to help improve the game as much as possible. It's very much appreciated, y'all.

Firstly thanks for the reply via pm Ferret secondly have you ever coded a pin before? Reading your posts usually more than once to take all the little details that you have added to the code makes me wonder if you have done this before because the code sounds and looks simply brilliant, the accessibility is almost perfect for novices and advance players and the lighting is awesome in particular the self destruct lighting for instant is simply genius!

Any chance you could give us an idea of what you have in store for the improved xeno lighting?

#13896 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

So the standard models can also come with the beacons? I guess so...

To credit Ferret stellar work with the games code/lighting, watching the intro to self destruct you almost don't even need the beacons the lighting effects he has programmed are "that" good!

#13995 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Got a keychain, now just need a key! And a game Called Heighway two days ago and was told mine is in the next group of 25 to ship

I'm sure I remember seeing a vid with Andrew discussing a machine they had in one of his mini factory tour videos, that has enabled them to print the games plastics in house, sure he holds up a sheet of the games plastics and says something about a few extra plastics/key fobs

It's always nice to get a few promo plastics with a NIB game to use as a keychain. Anyone with a production game able to confirm what's in the Alien "goodie" bag?

#14030 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

How Aliens rocked our world so long ago. Here is a clip from Roger Ebert back when Aliens just came out.
At least the pinball covers the 2 best of the series.

Wow being a kid of the 90s it's interesting to see the take on Aliens when it was released. I remember watching Alien & Aliens way before I should have and Alien scared the hell out of me kept pausing it and going back to it, while Aliens scared me a little but I just couldn't stop watching it I was like a kid on a sugar rush scene after scene.

But they where both pretty much par for the course at the time with a lot of the hyper/ott macho violence of the late 80s early 90s being the majority of my movie experiences. Funny seeing a reviewers take nearly 10 years before my own generations take on the films, me and my friends definitely "enjoyed" both movies immensely as did most of my school.

Back on topic of pinball Alien was one of the best licences Heighway could have picked up to get them on the map in a big way, if they can get mass production up and running asap and game #3 has a killer licence (would love to see a T1/T2 pin) it will make Heighway a big player.

#14059 6 years ago

Wow this thread derailed fast!

Trying to get this thread back on topic, Heighway and Alien has way too many cheerleaders that will defend any comment that is slightly negative but Heighway also has plenty of skeptics and critics!

The best way to settle the arguement on both side is to let Heighway speak for themselves as a company, getting Alien production ramped up with a substantial number of SE & LEs shipping on a weekly/monthly basis is a major way for Heighway to please the cheerleaders and ultimately please the critics - regardless of which side anyone is on in the Heighway debate one thing we can all agree on is we would all be happy and benefit from another successful Pinball manufacturer in the marketplace.

#14078 6 years ago

Everyone in this thread needs to hug this sh*t out

IMG_2612 (resized).JPGIMG_2612 (resized).JPG

#14080 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hell with a hug. I think woodworker may be wanting more than a hug and his pinside handle has nothing to do with making a dovetail joint...

Either way this ain't the place for all this sh*t it's certainly not a welcoming read for anyone outside Pinside stumbling across this thread that may be a potential Alien customer.

With every manufacturer and new game there is the cheerleaders and the haters Heighway is no different but both sides should want another manufacturer in the market offering even more titles/choices that's just good for us all

1 week later
#14681 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah you know with other space themed pinball machines being officially announced it may be a great time to let us now wtf is going on.....

That might be why we have heard nothing today, if Stern had knocked SW out of the park it could have potentially over shadowed any good news/announcement Heighway made. Waiting made sense and now that SW has clearly disappointed or at least left a lot of people underwhelmed now would be the perfect time for Heighway to make their announcement. Strike while the iron is hot as they say here in the UK.

#14684 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I hope you're right, bottom line is I just want the parts to fix my game or at least communication from the company explaining to me why I'm not getting any service for my game.

I am just guessing, if it was me making an announcement that could make or break me, I wouldn't want a mega announcement from a competitor to over shadow it, but I would also be as ready as possible to pounce with my announcement if my competitors fell flat (which has kind of happened here with the SW announcement).

Either way I would like nothing more than to see all current Alien owners made whole along with all that have preordered.

#14686 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Still in on an Alien, but I need to get my game soon this monkey on my back is getting heavy and needs to be fed.

Need to watch those monkeys specially the cheeky ones

0000000 (resized).jpg0000000 (resized).jpg

#14701 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Really? Im not the one that keeps bringing it up SW. Found the SW site, finally, SW is very disappointing. Lets get back to more important things... is that monitor commercial grade, how about those silver screws....

Yeah, the backbox LCD is a commercial grade unit, if you search this thread there are a couple of posts directly from Heighway confirming it.

As for the silver screws are you referring to all the cabinet bolts? If so someone has powder coated theirs and they look great.

#14779 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

he said, "within days", 4 days ago...that could mean any number of days(!?). Afternoon Friday in UK, I'm guessing next week sometime which will unfortunately give everyone plenty of time to freak, speculate, and say they want refunds. Hopefully this comes through soon before the pinside panic-o-meter blows past red.

At some point you may acknowledge Heighway are having problems, hopefully they can be overcome and worked through so everyone with money in can get their games delivered and put Heighway in a position to take in new orders and become stable and successful enough to get to title #3

People have a right to freak out they have thousands of dollars on the line naturally if people think they are going to loose money some will panic, others who can afford to loose thousands won't - lucky you.

Ultimately we all want to see Heighway work through the problems they may have going on behind the scenes and sell as many Aliens as possible and become a big player in the pinball business moving forward.

We all wish them luck on that success and it's certainly within reach.

#14847 6 years ago

Wow looks like great news for Heighway customers, fresh start hopefully for all those invested with either a Full Throttle and/or a Alien pre order. Happy you guys look like your going to be getting your games soon.

#14849 6 years ago

Edit, post deleted nwpinball beat me to it

#14890 6 years ago
Quoted from Slash:

This is the bit I don't quite understand, some people appear to be seeing this as a magic bullet. These so called smart business people are obviously the same smart individuals that made the decision to originally invest in a company that, given how things have turned out, was severely under capitalised.

From the limited information out there, the investors where not in control of all the big decisions and you also have to wonder how much or what information they where being fed/how aware they where of how bad things where potentially getting?

After all a lot of people here on pinside thought and felt things where moving along, albeit slowly but still moving along, coming up to full production etc, it wasn't until radio silence and further delays people began to really wonder what's going on.

#14895 6 years ago

Holy sh*t now that is awesome!

Any chance you can reveal why it was binned off?

1 month later
#15650 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

If it hasn't been included yet, it may be worth delaying production, and completely reworking the pins to include this.

If it hasn't been done it's a shame but no reason to delay production.

There are loads of skilled electrical/lighting guys here on Pinside that could make a lighting mod that looks factory and operates as hinted at, strobing/flashing etc.

If it was done with Heighway's blessing and in conjunction with @ferret, he could code it in to the game for maximum effect.

#15654 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Of course, I thought this was obvious and I didn't need to include the sarcasm emoji.

No sorry the sarcasm went right over my head, I even read your post a couple times and asked myself if you where joking or not and couldn't work it out.

That sarcasm emoji is priceless though, it can be hard to detect less than obvious sarcasm without it. Sorry for the confusion.

But it's GREAT to see Aliens shipping in numbers now and production parts being sent out to the early "proto" owners, congrates to all those with games and to those 4 soon to be owners.

1 month later
#16447 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Non refundable deposit? That's crazy.

It's how pre-ordering a Stern LE works here in the UK these days.

1 month later
#17526 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Happy to report that everything works including alien mech. Will take video soon. No shaker in mine thought it came with one so will check but overall very happy!

Congrates delt, looks stunning now go enjoy dude

#17833 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah I wasn't sure if it's been done before but it's a cool thing. As for xeno - haven't seen it incorporated into anything besides MB.

Does it do anything during Tunnel Escape? It would be great to have it hissing and the jaw shaking a little and then if/when you fail the mode have the Xeno jaw open and hiss in sync with the video of the Xeno attacking Dallas.

A flasher mod for the Xeno is a must, could be used to nice effect having the flasher light up the Xeno head in that mode as Dallas does that with his torch in the movie.

#17868 6 years ago

Congrates guys! After the wait you have all had to endure I hope the game is everything you hoped!

Hope they are trouble free, now get those boxes open and let's see some more unboxing vids.

#18053 6 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Wish I could tell everyone how great Alien is. Unfortunately, after spending several hours setting it up, cleaning the filthy metal ramps, mylaring the relevant areas and finally grinding off a burr on one of the ramps that was exactly where a pinball would hit it, I got ready to turn it on and play for the first time. Started up fine, went into test mode and the tongue came out and stayed out like this. Switch test showed a stuck switch, but without any documentation it's hard to know what to do.
I guess now I wait until Monday and see if I can find some tech support. Disappointed to say the least.

That tongue/rod arm is screaming out to be sprayed black. Such a cool mech, hope you get it working asap!

5 months later
#20562 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

LE delivered out of the blue in the UK...

That yours Neil? If so congrates mate and I expect a stream soon

#20607 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

many people, including myself have gotten anything. i havent even got an email from them in almost a year. fully paid for le. its just beyond ridiculous at this point. this thread is also dying. people have lost interest and of they dont ship these games soon they will really destroy the company. who would commit to their next pin after this debacle?

A lot of these delays are down to Andrew putting the game into production when parts like the scoop, xeno and other mechanical aspects weren’t 100%, hence the redesigned mechs being sent out to existing owners.

At this point before game 3 is announced, they would be wise to change the company name and distance themselves as far from Andrew Heighway as possible, having his name above the door after this shambles certainly won’t help even if they have everything in order and streamlined to deliver game #3 in large quantities quickly with QC in check.

#20610 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Sending updated parts plus shipping from UK has to add up, I imagine it makes sense to slow roll games till they have confidence in these new parts.. with 100+ machines out there, rolling out something like an updated vuk is an easy 10-20k up in smoke.

That was kinda my point the game took way too long to develop and then it was put into production with prototype parts or simply parts that where clearly not up to scratch.

I still think a name change to distance themselves from the name Heighway would be beneficial especially if they can have production of game #3 up and running smoothly why have all the baggage that goes with the Heighway name? If game #3 is fully developed and isn’t simply a prototype rushed into production like Alien they could turn this around, if they don’t they will surely go under by the end of the year?

#20617 6 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Most sources seem to say Queen.... though not confirmed afaik.
I have also heard Playboy mentioned in rumours of future Heighway licences.

Queen? Personally if they could have made Alien a hit, then I’d have gone for the holy action trinity - Alien/s, T1/T2 & Predator!

#20620 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I would love Aliens, Predator and Robocop

Ooh good call Haz, make it a 4 sided trinity, hell screw it 5 way the thing and throw Die Hard in there, after all it is one of the best pure action movies ever made.

But like you said and it’s is the reality after this entire mess, if they don’t sort out the mess that is Alien then it doesn’t matter how many awesome dream theme licences they have lined up, who’s going to take a chance on their next game!

#20658 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s because they put their faith in these guys like they did with Jpop. Why do business with crappers?
I’m sure that’s why I got the email from Heighway asking if I wanted to complete my 2014 order when a green LE became “available”
I seriously don’t give a F if I ever see a pin. At this point here’s 2 middle fingers for Andrew and his hydrofoil

I feel gutted for everyone tied up in this mess, but one of the biggest problems surrounding Alien and Andrew was no one could say a bad word about him and his antics, without being shot down by the rabbid fanboys, who ironically don’t post in this thread anymore.

I was all for Andrew making this a success even with his shady reputation and at first he seemed to finally have his head screwed on but once the Hydrofoil rumours among other things started to do the rounds you knew something was going on, not to mention the delays and selling off prototype machines with the promise of a replacement production machine - that alone was insane, selling protos at a discount, to then ship a production game at no extra cost and ship the proto back? That’s not bad business, that’s bonkers or other wise none as flushing money down the toilet.

1 week later
#21056 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Highway his real last name, seems like even his last name is a scam?

Heighway-Robbery its a double barrelled surname.

#21313 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

You are not successful,

I would say with 100+ downvotes on a single post, he’s successfully hated by our entire community.

207A959D-4259-4DFC-B990-3834411914B7 (resized).jpeg207A959D-4259-4DFC-B990-3834411914B7 (resized).jpeg

#21349 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It took time, but thankfully those posts from various pinsiders waving red flags finally began to sink in. Without people questioning what was going on & posting about it, many more people would have lost their money. So if I down-voted the whistleblowers in the past, I'd like to formally apologize. My rose colored glasses were pretty thick at the time.

Major upvote for your post man, takes a big man to admit his mistakes especially publicly, at the end of the day though we all wanted this to succeed and become a successful production game, so even those of us that where aware Andrew was as good with money as a child with jelly beans wanted him to prove he can actually run a successful business (there is a first for everything) and for this to be a hit!

Now let’s see if the two biggest HP cheerleaders who downvoted and reported any post remotely questioning Andrews status and HP as a whole come out of the woodwork.....

#21352 5 years ago

The Playboy license was first pitched to the upstairs team in, I think, 2014, and opinions ranged from the ambivalent to the really really outright hostile. This was before the brand itself was forced to sharply change direction and people really *did* end up having to read the magazine for the articles, but even back then I knew that a British company taking on a brand that was synonymous with bygone-America - particularly for the age range in an American-led market that would be expected to buy the machines - was a spectacularly bad idea that couldn't possibly be met with anything other than a hostile response.

Why do I get the feeling when you all said Andrew this is a really really bad idea he responded:

D9E94711-A38F-40C8-BE1B-FB4A3DF0446A (resized).jpegD9E94711-A38F-40C8-BE1B-FB4A3DF0446A (resized).jpeg

#21363 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

as of today, whose side are you on?

I am on the side of all those that got screwed over and ripped off by Andrew and co.

Quoted from Whysnow:

still not yours...

2BF95A09-B74D-4DE1-BD70-58E490E48AE5.gif2BF95A09-B74D-4DE1-BD70-58E490E48AE5.gif

1 week later
#21859 5 years ago

That 1 upvote is really ruining the post reaching a nice rounded 300 downvotes!

#21861 5 years ago

And as if by magic 300!

He may have more failed businesses than Snow White has dwarves, but he’s up there now with the great pinball assholes like Jpop & ShitB!

FF5560A1-C911-4877-802A-57C5AB14C1EF (resized).jpegFF5560A1-C911-4877-802A-57C5AB14C1EF (resized).jpeg

#21993 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Whatever you're imagining for how bad the Playboy pin was going to be, trust me, it was worse than that.

Oh dear, I thought it was a bad joke when I first heard it as a rumour, surprised me when I found out it was actually true.

But it sounds like you have a mind blower of a story to tell on this one Aurich?

0054956582 (resized).jpg0054956582 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#22295 5 years ago

MK6PIN awesome news, just seen you finally got your grail, congratulations man.

1 month later
#22802 5 years ago

Mark check your pm buddy

#22809 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Has anyone tried putting mylar on the underside of the plastics?

The only real solution is a new set of plastic made using a suitable plastic and not acrylic because it was quick easy and cheap

#22813 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If anyone wants to tackle a protector set that they'd be willing to make for people who are interested, sell them, make a profit, I don't care, so long as people can get one, I'd be happy to provide the vector outlines for all the plastics.

ULEKstore makes a lot of good quality protector sets, pretty sure they used PETG for them too.

#22822 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think you'll get a commercial operation (like CPR etc) doing it.
They'd have to have license rights from Fox, permission from Pinball Brothers, and then only a market of <140 machines.
Think this is one for the community.

I’d be surprised if we don’t see this coming from the community very soon, acrylic was just stupid to begin with.

#22825 5 years ago

Didn’t realise you had finally gotten your Alien Ice I must have missed that, did you get your LE in the end or a SE?

#22827 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Got the LE Jon, LOVE it, just needs a little Xeno tweak with the "screw", wherever it is!
It's a fantastic pin!!!

Congrates man, I know you where in for a long ass time. Maybe give Dave a shout he is a member on here although I forget his username without looking, he will surely know what to do.

#22836 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

The game came in with backglass lcd cracked and not functioning. There is also 5 LEDs on the play field that are not working.

Hope you get these issues resolved ASAP and enjoy the game, everyone who’s continued to purchase an Alien deserves a fully working game to enjoy!

#22914 5 years ago

Played some more of Aliens the other day, possibly the most atmospheric pin ever, had the sound cranked way up and it was just awesome!

One question though is Vasquez featured in the game I didn’t notice her at all but she has a couple cool lines that would have been great to hear.

CE754D3B-3013-416B-8FB0-11E492681810.gifCE754D3B-3013-416B-8FB0-11E492681810.gif
#22927 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Vasquez is great!
She's got some lines in Ambush MB and Bug Hunt... and is also seen (silently but bad-assly) when you collect the Smart Gun.

Is this the first game you have coded? Because the code is truly superb, really look forward to seeing you try and better it on your next game.

#22935 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

we'll see how my second shot at a game goes in a few months... I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far...

That is very exciting to read, I am pretty sure based on Alien you will knock it out of the park and blow our socks off!

#22944 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

If anyone is interested, I modified my Alien launch ramp so that it fires all the way up to the pops. Before you freak out - it's totally reversible and I didn't drill any new holes anywhere. I went ahead and started a new thread here to discuss:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-launching-into-the-pops-[quoted image]

I assume you have done this due to problems with ball launches? Other than it looking pretty f’in cool

1 year later
#25439 4 years ago

Wish someone would get this game back in production

#25443 4 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Pinball brothers. Alien, but in standard body. Supposedly.

I had heard this on the grapevine but didn’t know if it had any truth to it, I would be interested in seeing how they would make it a standard body.

And if PBbros do come out of the woodwork first off the bat I’d like to see them make anyone who’s still out of pocket whole.

#25461 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

It's all nonsens, no more investors, no more copyright, no more ALIEN!

Not what I’m hearing, yes the original licence agreement has probably long expired but that can be renewed with $$$$

5 months later
#26220 4 years ago

Aren’t the rumours that a new/remake of Alien is a narrow body? If that is in fact true then it isn’t a remake it’s just another aliens pin.

Regardless if a new alien is coming, why does it matter? When it comes to remakes/re-releases there is no game with more demand/talk than TRON.

As a TRON LE owner I don’t care if Stern vault/re-release it, I have mine and love it, if they vault it then it just means more people get to own a pin they want, I already have mine that I’m happy with.

More Alien pins would be fantastic it’s such an amazing theme why not have 2 alien pins!? If it is true and whoever is making it, I’ll take a predator and another terminator pin while your at it!

#26222 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The rumor has been out there for some time..wide body in williams cab w artwork ( which would be cool).
Many trusted sources have conveyed this will happen (was supposed to already), but Im not sure.
More Alien machines is nothing but good news...such a great game ( Id probably buy that one, too)

Cool, I’d heard standard body and that a whitewood was out there but that was over a year ago now.

A remake of Alien is a win win for everyone especially if it’s the same layout/mechs etc, it gives those who want one the chance to get one and it offers current owners a new supply of replacement parts.

Above all else I’d just love to see a mass produced Alien pin followed up with Predator and a new Terminator - the action movie pin holy trinity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=j85m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.