• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoakypoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1117 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing the playfield. Some things were in place there too, but probably a lot less will be kept, concept-wise, that's what I'm working through now.

Very happy to hear you're doing the Playfield art. Based on your previous work, I have no doubt it's going to look awesome.

2 weeks later
#1236 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I agree, but I would be concerned with the LE's selling out quickly after pics/videos of the playfield are released. I can see the remaining LE's selling out in a day after the announcement. To me putting down $1500 to secure an LE early was a no brainer.

The more I think about this, the more I feel I should place a deposit. I told myself not to preorder until I've at least seen the playfield/artwork, but reading this thread is making it really hard for me. Between Aurich's comments, Heighway's great communication & the FullT reviews.....I'm really feeling confident about this game & this company.

#1249 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Typical mind set of people getting caught up in the hype and feeling the "need" to pre-order for fear of missing out.
I used to let myself get caught up in this myself. No longer, even for a theme as great as Alien, and a company that seems to have it together like Heighway. But even Heighway hasn't shipped any pins in quantity yet.
If I miss out on an Alien LE, such is life. A non LE version will be just fine with me. Especially since it appears I can order any extras for the regular version, meaning the only differences will be artwork and the powder coating. It will be cheaper too. So it's easy for me to wait.

I hear what you're saying. The hype hasn't taken hold on me, just peaking my interest on a dream theme pin. Valid points for sure, but it's not really a "pre-order" since I'm not required to pay in full. More like an "LE reservation" for a small deposit, which is fully refundable if you change your mind. That's the key point. There really isn't much risk, and I think it's a nice option. As far as the upgrades, I'd probably guess that after you pay for the LE feature upgrades to a standard (along with a 2nd LED for the backbox), you'll probably be pretty close to the same price as the LE, so why not just make a deposit?

But seeing the current playfield schematic would really tempt me to bite on a LE tho

#1257 3 years ago

As stated here before, the art/features/playfield design are still going through changes & the approval process, so I understand why only limited info has been released thus far.

But since the original design is out of date, I'd love to see an updated basic playfield schematic at this point. I can use my imagination to fill in the blanks All in due time I guess

#1263 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My biggest problem is how to fit Alien and Rob Zombie if I end up with both.

That's easy. Sell me your Flash Gordon

#1306 3 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

UGHHH! I hate to get on a soapbox, but here goes. What has changed about this game? There has been no significant reveal of any changes to a game that was supposed to have been in production 3 months ago. Don't get me wrong. I get it. Motion Picture IP holders are hard to work with. You can stop drilling that into my head now. My beef is that the price is creeping up on a game that has had ZERO visually revealed! So, should I expect a new price increase every time that a feature of this game is verbally described to me?

If you are uncomfortable placing a fully refundable deposit for an LE reservation, then it's simple. Just wait for the full reveal & final pricing info before making your decision. No one is forcing you to jump in now.

#1307 3 years ago

I don't know if this was a typo, but I think that would be a cool idea to number the Limited Editions as LV-###, as a nod to the moon where the first two films took place

#1309 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Limited Variant #426

Hell yeah! I bet Andrew snagged that number for himself

#1332 3 years ago

I love modern lighting effects on these new pins like Star Trek. My interest really peaked when I heard that Aliens would have color changing lighted ramps, similar to Tron LE. There are so many effects than can be created with full RGB lighting that can fade smoothly & create any color in the GI, inserts & flashers. It's one of Aliens main selling points IMO.

I know there are purists who prefer incandescent lighting & find insert LEDs blinding, but we're in the 21st century now & RGB lighting is becoming the standard. Bring on the high tech bright lights & cool effects!

1 week later
#1469 3 years ago

Wow the changes look awesome. Alien head with tongue operation? Haha. I can't wait to watch the seminar footage when it gets posted

#1555 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think priority one with the LE is that it look great. If that means doing something that matches the art I think that's the right approach. The LE is after all supposed to be a complete package. No reason to compromise it for future possibilities.

Here's my thoughts on the LE vs Standard. This is a dream theme for me, so the likelihood of me swapping out the Alien playfield from an LE cabinet is really unlikely. The LE has green powder coating (with beacon lights) & that may not match with the new playfield I'd be swapping in. Bottom line....if you order an LE, you're most likely never going to swap it out.

You could get an standard with the stainless trim so you might have a more aesthetically pleasing playfield swap, but then you'd have to pay all the extra costs to add the ramp lighting, the beacons, etc to the standard, which may come close to costing just as much as the LE. Plus you won't get the alternate art for the backglass & cabinet, and I'm sure Aurich will come up with something really sweet for that. Again....probably better off just getting the LE.

Actually if black powder coating was an option for the LE, that might be a nicer option for those wanting to do a swap down the road. Something to consider maybe?

#1593 3 years ago

Agreed. Something has to go in that upper LT area.

#1605 3 years ago

Love that Bug Stomper logo. It was on the dropship, but kinda hard to make out in the movie. "We Endanger Species". Ha, great tag line.

image.jpg

#1610 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you dig all the logos and stuff in Alien this is a great read: http://typesetinthefuture.com/alien/

Thanks so much for posting this link! What an incredibly interesting read. Who knew there is a subset of individuals interested in typographic deconstructions in sci-fi cinema? Awesome stuff! Some interesting tidbits...

1) The Semiotic Standard: Nice to know what all those cool symbols actually represent. The hazard/warning symbol always used to make me think of Purina Dog Chow
2) The Self Destruct keyboard: Cool little backstory on it's design & phrase selection
3) No wonder stressed-out Ripley failed to stop the Scuttle Procedure....she was reading in French!
4) After countless viewings, never noticed the PURGE screen appeared in both the Alien shuttle & the Blade Runner Spinner car
5) Hit an Alien with Nitrosyl Chloride & he'll start screaming like a frog in a roomful of cats. Haha

If this is the type of deep preparation you're doing for the artwork & game design, they I think we're all going to be pleasantly pleased with the final results

#1616 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I downloaded this game from Steam, but have not played it yet. It's in my queue, but I'm looking forward to it.

I've had the game since it first came out on PS4. I only play at night with the lights off & my gaming headphones on for full effect. It's terrifying. I've had dreams like this before with an Alien chasing me. I've fumbled the controller right out of my hands & across the room when I hear that alien running up behind me. One of the best games I've ever played. And you get to re-enact some of the most famous scenes from Alien as well.

You will enjoy

#1649 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

about the 3, go directly for the uncut version...

I would suggest watching all of them as the Director's Cut versions. I don't even watch the theatrical versions anymore. All 3 films had significant content added. The Alien Anthology Bluray box set is the way to go, as it has all the versions of each film & an incredible amount of behind the scene documentaries.

The thing I found most interesting was the original concept of the 3rd movie, which took place on a wooden space station monastery. Shame they ditched that idea, but some elements did survive. More info for those interested...

http://www.empireonline.com/features/alien-3-tale-of-the-wooden-planet/

4 weeks later
#1997 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh man, if I could get a swappable 1980 Bally cabinet with a selection of redone games ... That would be so great. Think how much BOM you could shave off of each one, the cabinet and hardware and displays etc would all be there. Such simple games, without those extra costs you'd really be able to reach a reasonable price point. And if you get tired of one just swap it.

You & me both bro....hopefully by the end of this decade

3 weeks later
#2248 3 years ago

My guess.....Since Aurich is headed to Expo this year, he might be asked to say something during Heighway's presentation. And what better subject to speak about that an Alien artwork reveal We'll probably get our first look at some of the toys (eggs, etc) that some have already seen behind closed doors. I'm not expecting too much, but any news is good news IMO. There main focus right now is all about Full Throttle sales.

1 week later
#2415 3 years ago

Well done Aurich I knew the art design on Alien was in good hands, and this reveal further reinforced that.

I'm just thinking since both movies are part of this pin, and since the standard backglass/sideart is based on Alien, will the LE be based specifically on Aliens instead? That would be pretty cool IMO. Since LE owners get both sets of artwork, they could decide to swap out on their personal preference.

Has anyone posted a video of the seminar to YouTube yet?

2 months later
#3242 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just checking in on Pinside and saw this thread got a little activity. Working with my friend Kelly over Skype right now on animations for a mode. Having a lovely discussion about icons vs text for a particular failure message. This is the kind of nerdy shit I love, and Kelly also happens to be a game designer as well as an animator, so he loves it too.
If you're wondering, hitting a particular bad shot is going to just get an icon, but a complete failure gets an icon and text.

Aurich, from what you just mentioned, I'm guessing that this article has played an important role in the design of these animations. If you guys are paying that much attention to detail, then you're going to make a lot of fans happy

http://typesetinthefuture.com/alien/

1 week later
#3357 3 years ago

Thanks for popping in Andrew! Always nice to see you've posted

#3814 3 years ago

Well done Aurich! You did a very nice pulling off an atmosphere using the assets at your disposal.

I really like the color palate & the use of greens, blues & reds. The dark areas are balanced & well placed around the LCD screen. That should make the LCD pop. The star field works really well too. The bottom of the playfield is the best part, and you did a great job combining the motion sensor tracker with the head-on iconic image by HR Geiger. I think with everything put together & the lighting added, this is going to look outstanding as an overall package.

I guess the only thing I'm struggling with is that you created a mish mash of HR Gieger, photorealistic & comic book art. The Xeno in green at the top of the playfield is cool looking for sure, but clearly came from comic book art. It matches the art of the inserts well, along with the "cartoonish" flames on the dropship. I guess the top of the playfield has a more "cartoon" feel, and the bottom is more photorealistic images? I'm not saying that's a problem, but that was my first impression, and I'm wondering why you didn't go for one consistent look for the entire playfield.

With that said, I would only make a couple minor changes (and please don't take that the wrong way). I'd probably ditch the cartoon flames on the dropships for a more realistic propulsion effect, or remove it entirely. And the Nostromo really isn't getting it's due. It's a massive ship & it just doesn't come off that way at it's current scale, compared to the other ships. Does the dropship of the Nostromo really need to be represented in that area? It may be better represented with that removed & the Nostromo enlarged. I'm also a little sad the Marine transport ship Sulaco wasn't shown either, but perhaps it will show up elsewhere, like on the plastics.

I hope I offered some constructive criticism for you, as I don't like to throw stones at other people's hard work. It had to be hard to represent & combine elements from two different films into one cohesive playfield. Again, very well done!

#3958 3 years ago

I think the grid look is taken directly from the computer Starcharts of the Nostromo. Nice touch if you ask me

nostromo_starcharts_(resized).jpg

#3963 3 years ago

And the symbols on the Airlock & and Airvent inserts came from the Semiotic Standard, used in the first film throughout the Nostromo. Upon closer inspection, there's really a lot of attention to detail here. I hope these symbols are used elsewhere in the game, or at least in the animations.

the_semiotic_standard_(resized).jpg

#4158 3 years ago

There's been a lot of talk about the art, but I think most of you have overlooked the more interesting tidbit that was posted yesterday......the 2nd whitewood playfield schematic.

I put them side by side below (white is 1st, pink is the more detailed 2nd), and upon inspection there are some really significant changes here. Granted not all the features are shown on the pink schematic, but from what I can see (and believe me it's hard to make out)....

1) The upper LT ramp no longer goes behind the playfield and exits on the RT. Now it quickly loops back to the LT, where there appears to be a 4 ball physical lock. Could this be where the Hypersleep chamber lock is located now?

2) On the chestburster shot, has the pop up target been replaced by something else? I can't tell what that is exactly. A scoop or subway enterance? Maybe a Chestbuster pop-up bash toy like an MMR troll? Or maybe it's just the pop-up target assembly & I'm reading into it too much.

3) The lower LT ramp has been changed as well, perhaps connected to the upper LT ramp by a diverter? Really hard to tell what the path of that ramp is now.

4) The path of the wireform on the reverse ramp has been changed so that it doesn't cover up the APC drop targets.

5) I still can't tell where the facehugger toy is located either. Maybe the top RT area at the back of the playfield, now that space has been created there? There's facehugger inserts, so I would assume there's a toy of them somewhere.

I just find it fun to try and decipher these pin schematics, that's all I have zero inside info. The layout just looks cram-packed to me with tons of unique shots, and we already know there will be lots of cool toys. With Aurich's art package, I really think it's going to be an incredible pin when it's finalized.

1st&2nd_whitewood_(resized).jpg

#4198 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Wonder if it conflicted with the interchangeable playfield system operation?

That was my first thought as well. If you watch the playfield swap video, the playfield fits in a box that can slide under the machine. That ramp might cause it not to fit or become a easy target for cracking during a swap. I'm sure they had a good reason for the change.

Quoted from Aurich:

What you're seeing on that CAD drawing is I didn't take the time to edit it down to just surface elements. You're seeing the mounting under the playfield too. So the reason the controlled drop looks different is you're seeing the coil (I presume) attached with it to trigger it down. Bigger footprint.

Thanks for clearing that up Aurich. Looking forward to the next full CAD drawing reveal.

#4199 3 years ago

Also can someone explain how that reverse ramp works, or at least give an example of one? Does it have a VUK? I don't see a hole cut out in the playfield, so I'm guessing it works something like the elevator & return ramps on Who Dunnit? Just curious.

#4204 3 years ago

Thanks for explaining. It's cool they used that ramp for a Dropship shot then, kind of like its lifting up & taking off

#4207 3 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I wonder how many people are in a similar situation as me, not just with TH and TBL, but also awaiting MMR or Rob Zombie (or less risky, GoT and SMVE). Add to it possibly the people who got burned by John Popadiuk as well as Predator have got to have minimal stomach for prepay risk, even with a company that has already gotten one pin into production, like Heighway.

With so many upcoming high priced options in the pipeline, I think something has to give. For those of us without deep pockets, either sell some machines, or get a refund on a previous preorder.

In my case, I pulled my paid-in-full Hobbit preorder money back in May & sat on it for awhile. I followed Heighway closely since the Alien announcement. I finally decided to pull the trigger on an Alien LE this week Mainly due to the fact I believe in what Andrew & Heighway Pinball are doing, appreciate their open line of communication & they earned my trust, which was the exact opposite feeling I had with JJP .

Alien is a dream theme for me & I have no doubt that it's going to be something really special when it's released.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't find a full refundable $1500 initial deposit to be high risk either. Hardly a high-cost preorder scenario like some other companies. Just another reason I like what Heighway is doing.

#4482 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've confirmed that there are 5 weapons to collect, each with their own animation, representing all the important guns of the game. Any guesses about what they'll do?

Ok I'll make a guess here. I can think of 7 different weapons from the films. All they really had in Alien was that weak cattleprod & the flamethrower, so I'd guess that all the weapon references will come from Aliens.

Perhaps certain modes will require certain weapons (Tunnel Escape = Flamethrower, Bug Hunt Multiball, etc), so you may have to collect the weapon first before the mode will start? Or perhaps you may start a mode with a limited amount of ammo & have to knock down the drops to reload? If the mode is timed that might get pretty stressful, especially with the motion tracker sound getting faster.

1) M41A Pulse Rifle - No brainer here
M41A_PULSE_RIFLE_(resized).jpg

2) M56 Smart Gun - LET'S ROCK!!
M56_SMART_GUN_-_LET'S_ROCK!_(resized).jpg

3) M240 Flame Thrower - For keeping Aliens at a distance & torching eggs/facehuggers
M240_FLAMETHROWER_(resized).jpg

4) Ithaca 37 Shotgun - For close encounters......EAT THIS!!
ITHACA_37_SHOTGUN_-_EAT_THIS!_(resized).jpg

5) VP70 Handgun - Pretty weak weapon, not sure if they'll include this one or not
VP70_HANDGUN_(resized).jpg

6) Pump Action Grenade Launcher - Part of the Pulse Rifle, so technically not a standalone weapon
GRENAGE_LAUNCHER_(resized).jpg

7) UA571-C Remote Sentry - I think these have their own multiball mode so you probably won't have to collect it.
UA571-C_REMOTE_SENTRY_(resized).jpg

#4484 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Got them all.

Sweet! What do I win?

I'm still curious how the guns will relate to the modes though. I think it makes sense to reload them, via hitting the drops or perhaps that "recharge" target?

3 weeks later
#4625 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope its GB's, would like Aliens to stay as generic as possible. Love the PF for this very reason, zero pictures of the cast.

Securing the actors likenesses has nothing to do with putting their images on the playfield, and EVERYTHING to do with having access to all the footage & sound clips from both films for the LCD display.

Andrew will do everything he can to make this possible.

#4682 3 years ago

Someone posted this Full Throttle gameplay video in another thread, but I noticed a cool attract mode lighting effect at the 55:38 mark, and was wondering if someone could verify....

The LED lights within the pops have this cool "rotating light" effect that I've never seen in any other game before. Is this the effect that some have already mentioned, which makes the Egg Poppers on Alien look like there's a facehugger moving around inside? If so, this is incredibly cool!

It just goes to show how a small bit of programming with a few LEDs can take a game's presentation to a whole new level. I can't wait to see what effects they pull off with their fiber optic ramp lighting Keep the innovation coming Andrew!

#4728 3 years ago

Looks awesome guys! Super shiny

Few things I noticed....

1) Aurich adjusted the angle of the crosshair targets to match up with it's respective stand up target. Small touch & well done.

2) Not sure how to describe it, but I like the use of "negative space" on all the mode inserts, so that the lettering will change color based on the LED underneath the insert. That's a cool effect

3) Also added "Revive" to the hypersleep chamber inserts

4) Also changed the red background at the upper part of the playfield to blue/violet, which fits much better with the color scheme on the rest of the playfield. That's a nice welcomed change for sure.

Thanks again for the pics Andrew!

1 week later
#4937 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Need to jump over to the official Heighway thread to check out fiber ramp lighting, and chrome hardware...badass!!!

This may have been posted elsewhere, but I just noticed this video of the fiber optic ramp lighting. Looks like it was recently posted, and damn, that's going to look awesome in green on those Alien LEs! Lots of potential there with proper coding.

1 week later
#4986 3 years ago

Isn't tomorrow the deadline for sending the Alien Prototype to TPF? Fingers crossed, but I'm sure there are many of us who completely understand if they decide to delay the reveal.

I'll be happy as long as we get to see a YouTube video of Heighway's presentation at TPF. The last video from DPO Expo 2015 was really informative & Andrew does such a great job with these presentations. Hopefully there will be something new to reveal

#5080 3 years ago

Jesus what a bunch of BS nonsense around here lately. Keep the damn drama out of this thread, and keep your chin up Aurich.

With that said, I think it's pretty likely that the prototype won't be at TPF at this point. But it sounds like we're finally going to see some working toys, a flipping prototype, and perhaps LCD video/sound asset implementation via video during Heighway's seminar.

Now that's something to really look forward to! Can't wait for next weekend!

1 week later
#5200 3 years ago

Just for clarification......that shot map you posted is ancient history. The upper LT ramp no longer loops & exits on the RT side of playfield. There's plenty of space now for the large Alien head toy of that size.

image_(resized).jpeg

#5203 3 years ago

Andrew has also stated (most recently at DPO 2015) that the playfield magnet stops the ball, the mouth opens, then the tongue lashes out & grabs the ball. There are two standup target below the jaw, so there won't be any direct physical bashing of it. The toy has to be raised above the playfield and angled a bit for that tongue to reach out to the magnet & grab the ball

Can't wait to see it in action!

25:55 minute mark

#5237 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Thanks. I knew it changed but couldn't find that when I searched in this thread! Did I miss an updated shot map with the A. B. C... shot explanations?

Aurich posted that pink CAD drawing laid over the artwork a few months back, but no officially released updated CAD drawing to my knowledge. Probably because they have been making so many alterations/tweaks in the last 6 months to get the final design locked down. They know what they're doing

I was a little disappointed the TFP video wasn't released, but it's not the end of the world. I'm sure they'll put it on YouTube it when they're ready. But the xenomorph head looked even better than expected, so thanks for sharing Andrew!

#5245 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Prototype 1 has ramps for instance, you can shoot it, but things that will be metal habitrails in the final game are mocked up in plastic right now, stuff like that. When the geometry is locked in we'll move to more final ramps.

Quoted from libtech:

I was actually really happy that in a previous post they mentioned that the final ramps will be wireforms! Games look of much better quality imo with them.

I wouldn't take that to mean all the final ramps will be wireforms. He's just explaining about the mockup ramps on the prototype. From the last schematic there's only one wireform habitrail at the U-turn shot. The rest look like molded plastic and have to have the fiber optic lighting attached as well.

1 week later
#5258 3 years ago

Cool! I see the Predator double blades in that image as well. Love me some Zen pinball

What I find far more interesting is that the Zen game is releasing on 4/26/16, deemed "Alien Day" for marketing purposes. Never heard of the promotion before. An obvious reference to LV-426.

I also spotted this marketing from Mondo today on Twitter, promoting an Alien Double feature at various Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas across the country.

image1_(resized).JPG

Maybe this has been 20th Century Fox's cohesive plan all along, to unveil new Alien products & properties under one marketing plan, and that's why Heighway has been limited in what they can show?

Maybe "Alien Day" is also the targeted reveal date for Heighway? Fingers crossed

#5263 3 years ago

Great link Wickerman.

I find it insane that Heighway is not part of this promotion. Seems like a great opportunity for exposure.

#5282 3 years ago

Thanks for popping in Andrew. We all appreciate the updates

Fingers still crossed that the Alien video from Texas Pinball Festival will be posted on your YouTube channel at some point.

#5284 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I imagine the video is long out of date if they really are on track for June production. They'd have to be iterating at a pretty high cadence to get there.

The video was recently made.

Quoted from Aurich:

The good news is if you show up to the Heighway talk at TPF tonight you're going to get to see the first peek at the prototype 1. We've put together a video with a lot of stuff you haven't seen yet. Animations, sound (and you'll get some great news in that department), some toys you haven't seen yet, good stuff. Remember it's all pre-production parts, so don't take any of it as final, but you should also know that it's further along than it looks. Lots of modes are programmed for instance that aren't show in the video, it's a teaser. Unfortunately Fox hasn't approved the video for public consumption yet.

Video animations & sounds, game modes, toys, the popper lighting effects, etc etc etc. So yeah, I think we'd all like to see that when Fox gives the ok.

#5309 3 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Well, now I know why they picked that date... <duck & run>

Big Lebowski was released 1998. The 9/11 date on the check was totally random.

But I find the fact he's writing a 0.69 cent check to pay for Half&Half far more interesting.

Back to Aliens...

1 week later
#5361 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Its been awfully quiet. Id love any kind of update
--Jeff

It would be nice to see some kind of update on Alien Day, which is just about a week away. If not, no big deal, it's not the end of the world. They're just working hard right now & they'll give an update when they're ready

I do miss Aurich's posts tho

#5422 3 years ago

Since we're all big Aliens fans I thought I'd pass this along. Mondo is releasing some pretty cool Alien schwag in conjunction with Aliens Day. Apparel, limited edition posters, soundtrack re-pressings on vinyl, etc etc. Someone might want one of those posters for your game room. Check it out

http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/120403011-alien-day-2016

Looking forward to Tuesday!

#5449 3 years ago

For the record that playfield layout is ancient history. All those ramps & return rails have changed.

#5474 3 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Just picked up both the Prometheus and Aliens records, and I managed to score one of the Killian Eng Alien posters (should look good next to his Mad Max Fury Road poster). Was hoping to grab mondo's liquid filled record and possibly the Jay Shaw x-ray poster, but no dice (which is what I expected).

Aliens Soundtrack on Black Vinyl for me I've been looking for the other variant pressings (clear/blue& yellow) for awhile now, but they are always listed as double the price of this re-release. Very happy they decided to make more of them, one of the best soundtracks ever IMO!

#5475 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

my mother's birthday is today, but I couldn't find an alien queen b-day card for her

Found one for you

https://www.hallmarkecards.com/ecards/alien-day-426-npg5482

#5557 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Only Andrew can put this thread back on track

Exactly. It's been one week since Alien Day. Sure would be nice to get that video release approval.

#5586 3 years ago

Great update Aurich Those of us who have preordered Alien always appreciate your comments & thoughts in this thread. So thank you for chiming in

Quoted from Aurich:

And all the sounds are being synched to the animations, so everything will feel like it works together. Kelly is doing the most grimey edits and animations for this. It's like high resolution clips from the films have been sucked inside the world of MU/TH/UR. Where everything is is a little analog and dirty. And then spit back out into HD, with our HUD rendered around it with the vital info.

This sounds really interesting to me. Hard to visualize but it sounds like the HUD display for the LCD screen might have the look of MUTHUR (black screens, green glowing text) for displaying scores & info? That should integrate well with the dark playfield artwork for sure. Perhaps there's a different HUD look when playing Aliens modes? Not really sure, but it gives me something to think about at least

1 week later
#5632 3 years ago

Thought there was a real update, nothing but garbage posts. Come on Mods.

#5728 3 years ago

Based in the info I had at the time I placed my LE order, I was expecting Alien production to start around Fall 2016, so Andrew's recent comments about August/September are not surprising at all.

And I'm totally cool with that. Get it right, go for broke & knock it out of the park guys! Just gives me more time to save up some cash anyway.

Sure it would be nice to see something. I'd LOVE to see the finalized schematic layout drawing (would that really hurt?), but I get the restrictions placed on Heighway. Honestly they'll have a much larger impact showing the finalized product in a big reveal.

In the meantime, I'll just find pleasure in other things..... like playing Full Throttle for the first time at PAGG this weekend

#5777 3 years ago

I can't lie to you about your chances of a reveal, but... you have my sympathies.

#6002 3 years ago

alien_derail_(resized).jpg

#6051 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I just hope that they are able to keep the drop targets inn there and do not have to change to stand-ups. drops are usually the first thing to be taken out when things becomes to expensive.

The playfield artwork at the APC targets specifically says "Drops Light Locks", so who knows if that has changed yet. However after playing Full Throttle, I really liked the RGB LED standup targets. Nobody else is doing that. It makes for a cool look & can easily convey which targets need to be hit. But there are APC LED inserts on the playfield, so it looks like drop targets have been the goal all along.

Drop targets or RGB LED standups..... both are pretty cool if you ask me

1 week later
#6292 2 years ago

Thanks for posting Aurich! These are the kind of updates I love....trying to figure out the shot layout. Few initial thoughts....

1) So the ball launches up a short wire rail, over the vent return area. But it looks like there's a gap in the wire. I'm guessing a quickly launched ball jumps over this gap to enter the other wireform & then exit out the reverse ramp entrance? Really hard to tell. The gap would also allow a ball shot into the reverse ramp to exit the wireform, and then drop down into the RT flipper inlane? Curious if I'm right.

2) I'm really having a hard time figuring out where a shot to the LT dropship ramp goes. Is that still a U-turn and exits at the LT flipper inlane?

3) I see a 4 ball physical lock and the upper playfield Hypersleep area. I haven't seen this toy yet, but it would sure look awesome having balls lock within a sleep chamber that has cool lighting from within!

4) Now I can see how the rotating Queen toy/mini LCD screen will fit into that area. Looks like it's on a raised platform that sits above the LT inner loop. There may not be a big RT ramp, but that whole area will be crammed with Queen toy, alien head & eggs everywhere. That's going to be awesome.

5) I'm guessing the space jockey toy at the LT outlane has either been reworked, or removed entirely. Doesn't look like it appears on this CAD drawing. No big deal for me, there's plenty of other stuff crammed in elsewhere.

This layout looks like a real winner to me! Well designed tight shots for every flipper on the table. Just goes to show you not every great layout has to be designed by Ritchie, Borg, etc etc. There's some really great ideas here on paper.

Looking forward to reading other people's thoughts

#6297 2 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I was confused about that too. If you look closely you can see there will be a rubber plug at the top of the launch wireform that lets the ball drop down onto the return from the reverse ramp and feed to the inlane. Each of the ramp returns are rendered in a purple colour and have a slot that widens to a drop point in the inlane. Hard to spot at first. It's an interesting way of doing it.

I see the plug at the end of the launch rail. That is an interesting design for sure. Once it feeds to the RT flipper, I'm sure there will be plenty of options for skillshots after launch.

I also see the target inside the LT ramp. I would have totally missed that! All kinds of cool designs going on here Any idea what is getting placed in the RT upper playfield corner area? Not much space but there's kind of a odd pink straight line there.

#6301 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think that when the big xeno head eats the ball it drops into a subway to a VUK that pushes the ball back up to that area to return down to the flippers. I could be totally wrong on that one though.

That's crazy if the xeno swallows the ball! I always assumed the tongue would grab the ball off the magnet, but then spit it back out at you. Actually eating the ball and coming out elsewhere would be incredible. Fingers crossed

#6337 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The xeno head model that sits around the mech is the same size one that's been shown before, and yes, it will 'eat' the ball. What you don't see yet on the CAD is the mini-subway that will take the ball behind the backboard, to be ejected back into play onto the upper corner of the right platform, to drop onto the end of the habitrail and down to the return.

Thanks for the explanation! This playfield layout & overall game design is truly shaping up to be something special. Every time there's another update, the happier I get that I placed my LE order!

I haven't seen the video so I'm still trying to grasp some areas of the CAD drawing. Do you care to describe the path of the ball once it is launched from the shooter rail? Or if that really is a standup target at the top of the LT ramp, or what it's purpose might be? I keep staring at this layout & those are the only areas that are still hard to make out.

I'm just happy to hear the Xenomorph will be eating pinballs, unlike a certain infamous dragon that shall not be named

#6381 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Sorry if this has been discussed, what details are known about the cab art? Will it be different between the 2 versions?

Standards will come with the basic artwork (Egg backbox, Alien Head cabinet) that has already been revealed. LE's will come will an exclusive LE artwork for the backbox & cabinet, which has not been revealed yet. There also needs to be a 3rd alternate backbox artwork with a window area for those who are getting the large LCD monitor, but not sure if there will be two versions (standard/LE) of that.

It was once said that LE owners would get both sets of artwork, but as far as I understand it nothing has been set in stone & all is subject to change. Most of the info on the website was written long before they offered the big LCD for the backbox, and had to come up with the 3rd backbox version.

Personally I'm not worried about it. I'm hoping the LE's feature artwork for the Aliens film. That makes sense to me.

#6383 2 years ago

Meh. As a home gamer (PS4, Pinball Arcade, etc), I have zero interest in seeing achievements/trophies applied to real world pinball machines. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

What's long overdue in pinball is automatic wifi connectivity for code updates, and the potential for World High Score leaderboards & tournaments. I believe this part of the future plans for Heighway, but not sure when it will be implemented.

#6389 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

It would be cool to see a marine package on the art work. Not faces, but armor, the apc...stuff like that......on the LE

Yeah that would be interesting for sure. I'm just thinking this pin is basically two themes in one package (Alien & Aliens). The standard art has classic images & green hues of the first movie, then it only makes sense that the LE artwork would focus on the second movie & feature blue hues. Space Marines is one way to go, but personally I'd prefer to see the Queen featured on the artwork.

#6406 2 years ago

I think most of us are familiar with the concept of achievements you've described. It still doesn't sound appealing or necessary at all for physical pinball machines, and I doubt a large enough segment of the pinball community would even take advantage of such a feature if it was implemented.

I think most people would rather see the programmers spend their valuable time further developing & refining the actual game code, making the game features as deep & enjoyable as possible for everyone, instead of creating an achievement system that may not be embraced by a majority of their customers, and can also be easily exploited by dishonest players.

My two cents.

1 week later
#6494 2 years ago

Every that's seen the video all say the same thing. They're all impressed, excited & this pin kicks ass! That's good enough for me.

I don't mind missing out on the video either. It's just going to make my head explode when I see the full reveal in a few months.

4 weeks later
#6732 2 years ago

I guess that means DROPSHIP mode is now COMBAT DROP mode.

#6764 2 years ago

Thanks for posting that quick video interview with Andrew!

So from what I can gather the last few months, it sounds like they hope to have Aliens completed on their end sometime in August, then work with Fox for final submission & approval during September, and then finally have a full official reveal at Expo in mid-October.

This seem like the game plan for some time now. No need for sneak peaks either. Just roll into Expo & BAM.....blow everybody away with their awesome creation & become the buzz of the show. Then watch the LE models sell out in minutes!

Couple more months to go

#6809 2 years ago

The 27" backbox screen seems to pretty popular choice with the LE owners I've talked with. I'm getting it for sure.

With that said, I'm still a huge fan of backglass art (from the early 80s), and I'm pretty confident that Aurich is going to come up with something really sweet for the LEs. I won't be able to put that in the backbox with that huge screen there.

Question for Full Throttle owners with the 27" screen...... what is displayed on the screen during the attract mode? Is it the normal game menu on there all the time, or like a loop of attract animations? I can't recall at the moment.

It would be cool if they could program the LE backbox artwork to be shown on a loop or something, chestbusters popping out of the screen at you, etc etc. Some exclusive attract mode code for the LE owners? Because by putting the 27" screen in there, I feel like I'll be missing out on Aurich's LE art. Hopefully something like that is in the works

#6845 2 years ago

Looks like he's cramming tons of speech in there, and that's all before you even start the game Dave is the best in the business without question, he's going to knock this out of the park.

Love the look of that user interface on the LCD too! Whomever is coding the video assets is doing a great job.

4 weeks later
#7111 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Pinball Expo in Chicago has released the schedule.
http://www.pinballexpo.net/seminar.pdf
Thursday at 9:30 has this gem that i will be going to.
9:30 p.m. “Alien Pinball, The Official North American
Launch”
Speakers: The Heighway Pinball Team
WOOT!
Jeff

What's with the "NO PHOTOS OR VIDEO TAPING WILL BE ALLOWED" warning on that PDF? I recall past presentations from Expo getting posted on YouTube, and even live streamed before. Other shows post official videos from their shows. I think it's a great courtesy for those who can't attend. I guess things have changed at Expo.

Andrew.... we've seen several Heighway Alien presentations posted on YouTube from various shows in the past (ReplayFX, Freeplay Florida, DPO Expo, etc, etc). These are really invaluable to those of us who can't be at these shows, but still love to hear your insights & discussions into the production of Full Throttle & Alien.

Do you have any plans to film your Expo 2016 presentation & post it to your official YouTube channel yourself? With a title like "Alien Pinball, The Official North American Launch”, there's going to be a lot of anticipation

Just curious.

#7115 2 years ago

Hmmmm. I guess I read it wrong. Then again, I can't find last year's Expo presentations on YouTube either.

The point I was making is that it's nice to see these presentations posted online, and maybe Andrew has plans to do that since it's going to be a huge day for Heighway.

In any case, looking forward to the reveal

2 weeks later
#7309 2 years ago

What a pleasure it was to receive that email this morning

As an LE owner, I cannot praise Heighway enough for the outstanding communication they have with their customers. They continue to raise the bar for the entire industry & you can't help but feel like you're in good hands. Thanks for the update Andrew!

Looking forward to the upcoming promo video reveal Fingers still crossed & hoping that the LE art package is ALIENS/Queen based!

1 week later
#7445 2 years ago

I know these prices aren't firm yet, but if the new standard has become roughly $8.6K for an LCD Stern Premium, and Heighway is charging roughly $6.3K for their standard model, then there's a HUGE gap in the market that Stern has left for Heighway to fill.

I think once these pins are revealed at Expo, it will be clear to see that a Heighway Standard packs more features than a Stern Premium, and runs roughly $1.5-2K less. If the features & gameplay of Alien meet expectations (looking likely), and if production schedules & build quality meets consumer demand..... then Heighway is well positioned to fill this new market gap & sell a lot of machines.

Competition is a great thing At least that's how I see it.

Looking forward to making that first payment when production begins!

1 week later
#7563 2 years ago
Quoted from keithrh76:

Is the reveal at Expo going to be streamed live? I can't make it this year, but eager to see it at reveal and hopefully flip.

image (resized).jpeg

Im not sure if it will be live streamed, but Heighway confirmed they are filming the presentation

#7571 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

As far as showing everything publicly and launching it, yes. There are still a few things that need to be received / fixed before production though. Will write more detail tomorrow, or later tonight after a nap.

Great news & thanks for sharing

#7617 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Some new features, which should be the first to actually make it to production in pinball machines, have been added to the machine very recently. Proof of concepts were in the machine I saw, and cabinet waiting for the soon to be finished second prototype. Can't say what, but they aren't something which will take endless revisions to reach production. Even if you don't like the iteration, the way it's being integrated ought to allow for retrofitting of community developed alternatives. Also, if it were looking likely to be a cause of any delay, it shouldn't stop production or shipping of games (my opinion), as they ought to be able to be easily shipped on their own or in bulk and installed by end users. There will be a lot of this technology in future games across the industry.

On the LE front, translite and side panel artwork will be LE exclusive. Wasn't 100% confirmed, but looks like the 27" backbox LCD is going to become standard. Hardly a surprise as this has been default for pre-orders through CoinTaker for some time now. Could increase the price of admission slightly, but this HAS to be done, imo. The translite and frame for it would require 6 (SIX!) versions with the original scheme of full translite, small LCD, large LCD and a Standard and LE model. 2 seems like a much more manageable number. Besides, it's a shame for spectators not to be able to see what's going on, and during more cinematic moments, the player's likely to enjoy a 27" screen more than the one in the pf. Also it seemed like a major point of confusion for people interested in Heighway's games. Removing that must be positive.

Thanks Rubberducks! That was the most informative post I've read in 6 months. Greatly appreciated

I'd be willing to guess that the feature you described above is WiFi connectivity, but I honestly have no idea. If that's the case, it's a welcomed addition to modern pin production. Easy code updating, world leaderboards, tournaments, connecting with friends.....lots of potential....if that's what it turns out to be. Just my thoughts from reading that.

Standardizing the 27" backbox screen is also the right move. I've often wondered how they were going to have to design multiple translight art packages for the various build options, and anyone who's seen the big screen in person can agree on all the benefits it provides.

Keep up the good work Andrew. Sounds like you're positioned for future success & everything is finally coming together. Really looking forward to the Expo presentation

1 week later
#7831 2 years ago

Looks phenomenal guys Super excited for Expo presentation!

You've mentioned there are some minor things that need to be polished up on the playfield, like adding some more plastics & decals to various areas.

So I was just curious about the hypersleep physical ball lock at the upper left playfield. I guess I always expected from that description that there would be a hypersleep chamber (or like a cover) where you could see the balls physically locked inside. But I don't see that in the photos. Is there plans to add something like that? Would be a nice touch

Again look amazing, I cannot wait to see how it looks lit up

image (resized).jpeg

#7938 2 years ago

You guys find the dumbest stuff to pop in & bitch about. If you were following this thread or looking at the schmatics, you would know a plunger is not needed because the ball launches up a very short launch ramp habitrail...

The launch ramp habitrail simply pops the ball onto the right platform, to be deposited in the right inlane.

This layout offers plenty of multiple skill shot opportunities at different levels. For instance, from the delivery to the right flipper, shoot for the xeno (easy, regular points), airlock (medium, points plus instant mode start), or orbit to the upper flipper immediately followed by the ramp (hard, big points plus instant lock).

It's all about choosing your skillshot from the RT flipper, so a manual plunger is pretty pointless.

#8346 2 years ago

Jesus the effing hating & stone throwing that goes on here is just unbelievable. Been stated before so I won't bother to acknowledge it again. Seriously, get a life.

With that said, the game looks phenomenal for only being a prototype, and that's without the fiber optic lighting or the LE art revealed. I'm super stoked with the potential of this pin & the emersive experience it's going to create. I think they did a great job with the plastics (I see those Semiotic Standard symbols) & the structural look of the inlane return rails. Lots of little details here. Wow the sounds & music.....kudos on the Alien screaching when hitting the head targets! Those beacon look legit (not some cheap tiny string of LED bulbs on Batman topper) & are really going to light up my game room. Most importantly, it looks really fun to shoot, and the modes are going to be a blast. I like the status info displayed in the LCD screen (turret bullets remaining, weapon selection, dropship shots, lifecycle status, etc), clear to tell what's going on & what needs to be shot.

Well done Andrew & everyone on the Heighway team! These young Heighway programmers clearly know what they are doing (forgive me for not knowing their names yet, but with work like this, that's going to change). Really exciting to see what this design team comes up with in the future.

How about some game talk for a change? Only thing I can't figure out is how the ball gets to the RT return rail. Does the alien eat it, then it comes out from behind the back of the playfield? I thought there was a subway that took the eaten balls to the eject scoop, but I could be wrong.

Did they mention if black nickel might be a trim option for LE owners? Not too sold on that green trim. Chrome looks sweet but a bit pricey I hear.

This is the stuff that I that I'm curious about, not BS trolling.

Looking forward to watching the Heighway Expo presentation video

#8430 2 years ago

I've said it before but I'll suggest it again.... Since Ripley is out, I really hope the LE artwork & trim focuses on the "Aliens" film, specifically the Queen & blue tones That would look really badass, since the standard has the look of the first film.

#8566 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think a black nickel option would look great on an Aliens LE and be more compatible with Full Throttle and future games.

Quoted from Aurich:

I don't know that plan right now, so don't take this as gospel, but I think until the LE art is done we won't worry too much about the trim color. So I'd just file it under "special trim that matches art in a cool way" for now.

So now that we're getting closer to production & the LE artwork is getting created, can someone please comment if Andrew is still considering making a black nickel trim option? That option did have quite a bit of support in this thread a few weeks back.

I'm sure I'm not the only owner who plans on playfield swapping on their Alien LE, and that green trim is so specific to this theme that something more neutral like black nickel would work better with other titles. And while the chrome trim option looks beautiful, it's still pretty pricey. Perhaps their will be some type of mid-tier option, other than the green?

I know trim color is probably last on your priority list right now, but my fingers are crossed for another option

#8634 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, this isn't my call, but F that. The LE needs to look bad ass. I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm for the green, and that's been the case from the start. Andrew and I will figure it out, but my opinion is let's get the LE art done, and then pick something that looks awesome with it.
There are tons of ways to do killer 2 stage powdercoats for instance. We'll sort it out.

Sorry to hear about the manufacturing issues involved with black nickel. But no worries. If this is the plan, then I'll just sit back & wait to see what you guys come up with once the LE art is finished.

In my mind, an Aliens themed Blue/Black look makes the most sense for the LE, but I have no idea what you're thinking.

#8674 2 years ago

Just curious, but has Heighway's Expo presentation video been posted anywhere yet? I'd even settle for the audio. Can't find it on pinballnews, YouTube or anywhere else for that matter. These are always a pleasure to watch & I thought they were filming it. If anyone finds the link, please post it here! Thanks

image (resized).jpeg

#8683 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I have PDI glass on my TWD and it's like some kind of magic. There just isn't anything better.

I've heard the same thing from many people. Wasn't there an issue with PDI glass production/availability recently? Thought I read that somewhere.

#8756 2 years ago

For you guys that keep bringing up old questions about the backbox LCD & multiple translight art packages....

Quoted from rubberducks:

On the LE front, translite and side panel artwork will be LE exclusive. Wasn't 100% confirmed, but looks like the 27" backbox LCD is going to become standard. Hardly a surprise as this has been default for pre-orders through CoinTaker for some time now. Could increase the price of admission slightly, but this HAS to be done, imo. The translite and frame for it would require 6 (SIX!) versions with the original scheme of full translite, small LCD, large LCD and a Standard and LE model. 2 seems like a much more manageable number. Besides, it's a shame for spectators not to be able to see what's going on, and during more cinematic moments, the player's likely to enjoy a 27" screen more than the one in the pf. Also it seemed like a major point of confusion for people interested in Heighway's games. Removing that must be positive.

Makes sense to me. Make the backbox LCD mandatory on all games & create 2 art packages (hopefully Alien standard, Aliens LE...both fit for backbox LCD). Just simplify & reduce confusion. Everyone's price will go up $550 with the LCD standardized. But buyers shouldn't fault them if they decide to go that route. It's a better business decision & will future proof upcoming games if everyone has the backbox LCD. Plus it's pretty sweet. And everything subject to change anyway until production starts.

Give them a couple weeks post Expo. Get those playfield details finished, finish cabinet art packages, decide on the LE trim color, lock in all the various option pricing, finalize the production model, etc etc. They're not quite there yet, but getting pretty close. Until then, just wait for them to announce that production has started.

#8809 2 years ago

I mentioned this awhile back, but thought I'd try again.... How does the ball get to the RT return rail? (circled in red). Does the alien eat it, then it comes out from behind the back of the playfield? I thought there was a subway that took the eaten balls to the eject scoop, but perhaps it also diverts from the subway to a VUK behind the playfield, then up to the RT return rail?

It just not clear from the Expo videos, or from looking at the schematic. Maybe somebody can chime in how it works? It seems like the ball would just dump onto the RT loop shot, which doesn't seem right, since those plastics would take a beating. Either I'm missing something, or this area of the playfield isn't finalized yet. I also seem to remember someone saying there would be a plastic of the derelict ship in that back corner? I believe that photo was from a pre-production build so that might have changed.

It's driving me nuts because I haven't found an Expo photo of that back RT corner of the playfield, and the videos are too far away. Just curious. This is the stuff I think about when I'm bored at work. Carry on guys

UPPERPLAYFIELD (resized).JPG

#9031 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I did video the whole seminar - and as soon as I get a chance, I will upload it to our YouTube channel and post it here

I know you are very busy Andrew, but some of us really looking forward to watching that presentation video. Just another friendly reminder to upload when you have time

Thanks!

#9058 2 years ago

Thinking of changing that spinning Queen airlock toy huh? Well I'm sure you've got some extra Valentinos lying around. One small change.....problem solved

valentino hugger (resized).jpg

#9060 2 years ago

Seriously though, I think a smaller space jockey chair might look good there. When the start mode scoop is ready, it could start spinning? Just a thought

2 weeks later
#9372 2 years ago

So I know the lighting effects on Alien were very basic at Expo, but I'm hoping a lot of thought gets put into their coding & effects. Specifically to help accentuate the mood, music & stress levels of the modes. Complex lighting effects throughout the GI & inserts is such a huge benefit of modern machines IMO.

For example, I was able to experience Horde mode on TWD recently, and Lyman really did an outstanding job with the pulsating red lights, the ominous pulsing music & the walkers coming closer on the DMD. Really well done mode overall, and does a great job of creating a stressful situation for the player, with the opportunity to score some big points.

Hopefully you guys will be able to come up with something along these lines for the mini wizard modes, such as Alien Self Destruct mode. Pulsing lights, David's music, beacon toppers spinning, with that flashing red X countdown clock on the LCD screen, while MUTHUR keeps telling me I have X minutes to reach minimum safe distance.... I cannot wait to experience this mode

1 month later
#9666 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Any guesses of what will be replacing the airlock can?

I think what made the airlock look odd was that it was oversized & crammed next to the impressive looking xeno head. Putting another scaled down toy (like a powerloader or space jockey chair) might also look odd, compared to the scale of the xeno head. Perhaps a moving xeno hand might be more cohesive?

I'm pretty sure the smaller LCD screen was dropped awhile back because of the issues involved to make it work....

Quoted from Aurich:

I can't speak to the tech, but doing two separate displays with separate info etc would definitely be a lot more work. You'd have to standardize on two displays for sure, trying to make the system flexible enough to handle a bunch of different options would just be a huge headache.

So while it would be really awesome to have that smaller rotating LCD screen with separate video assets displayed, I've scaled back my expectations. I guess we'll know soon enough.

#9731 2 years ago

Christmas came a little early this year Alien Covenant trailer...

#9811 2 years ago

All I'm reading here lately are criticisms from a bunch of armchair quarterbacks. As stated countless times before, you can't please everyone.

They know exactly how the 3rd screen will be utilized better than any of us. If it makes the game more immersive & easier to convey important information to the player, then it's going to work very well. Virtual airlock doors sliding open to reveal videos of the Queen, CRT graphics, timer countdowns, shot callouts, etc sounds pretty damn cool to me. My resounding faith in Heighway remains unwavered.

Looking forward to January

#9812 2 years ago

Plus, the Alien playfield already has, at last count, six dedicated models from three unique toy moulds, even without the physical Queen.

I'm curious about a Hypersleep chamber toy (similar to the beds from the Nostromo). Was it ever considered to place a toy in ball lock area on the upper left ramp, where you could see the locked balls inside? I'm not even sure if it would be possible with the new ramp, but might be something to consider to design & make available as an aftermarket mod. I mean isn't the ball lock area referred to as the Hypersleep chamber on the ball save area of the playfield?

Just curious

#9845 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's exactly how it's supposed to work.
I mean, I haven't seen the final version with all the changes, but I know I laid out a plastic with a window in it so you can see the locked balls.

Toy or a plastic, just super stoked to hear it might be in the cards. Would be a really nice touch

#9887 2 years ago

Looks pretty bad ass to me.

1 (resized).jpg

As stated multiple times before, there is NO need for a large oversized head now that the boards have gotten much smaller. Have you even seen a Full Throttle machine in person, because the lit side art looks stellar in a darkly lit gameroom. Heighway is trying new designs & fresh ideas, and this is why many of us support the company. Again....you cannot please everyone. Have faith in your vision & your product

#9892 2 years ago

“There’s a great quote by Henry Ford, right? He said, ‘If I’d have asked my customers what they wanted, they would have told me ‘A faster horse’. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."----Steve Jobs

Stick to your vision Heighway. Your ideas are changing pinball for the better

1 week later
#10024 2 years ago

Ahhhh! The Blue trim package option on the LE finally revealed One can only assume now that the 2nd LE art package (back glass/side panels) is based on Aliens, and hopefully features the Queen.

Well that option is a no brainer! Blue trim it is Great option Andrew. Looking forward to the full reveal!

Edit: Also nice that black trim is also an option for LE owners too!

#10062 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Where is the first LE art package?

LE Aliens themed art package not officially 100% confirmed or revealed, but it's not hard to connect the dots either based on that feature matrix.

Package #1: LE with Green trim, put in your Alien themed blackglass/side panels
Package #2: LE with Blue trim, put in your Aliens themed blackglass/side panels
Package #3: LE with Black trim, put in whatever blackglass/side panels you like.

It's been stated for a while now that LE owners get both the standard (Alien) & LE (Aliens) art packages, so all you have do is pick a trim color for the LE presentation you like best. Or you can go black trim for a more neutral look if you're planning on swapping playfields down the road. Or if you can even pay extra money for the bling chrome trim if that's your thing.

Lots of options are a great thing If you can't find one of these LE configurations that suits your needs, well then you can't please everyone. Looking forward to the final reveal!

#10194 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good to hear, thanks for posting. Do shots to the middle ramp (from upper right flipper) go into a ball lock now and / or get diverted back to the left flipper? It looks like a sleep chamber ball lock toy has been added to the game?

The physical lock mechanism was always part of the ramp design, they just tweeked it since Expo. What's new is the Hypersleep chamber plastic that will show the 3 locked balls inside the chamber.

They stated before that rules are tied into it, like if you have a ball physically locked & you're able to save your ball in the hypersleep outlane, then it will release the locked ball back into play to continue your game, etc etc. But they haven't really showed an up close video of that area of the ramp to show how it actually works. At least that's how I understand it.

lock (resized).jpg

#10195 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Where does the ball exit from the middle ramp? Back down the left rail (same as left ramp) or somewhere else?

Pretty sure when a ball is released from the hypersleep chamber, it drops down & exits via the LT loop.

#10270 2 years ago

Are people forgetting how cool The Getaway's red rotating beacon topper looks in a dark gameroom during multiball??? I mean come on! Same thing on Alien, but it's twice as awesome with TWO beacons.

I'm glad they when with authentic mechanical look that matches the film & not some cheap LED effect. Keep pressing on Heighway

#10336 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

David Thiel reported that 173 custom Mother callouts have been recorded for the game.

That's incredible! Just as long as MUTHUR taunts me during Self Destruct mode, telling me I have "X minutes to reach minimum safe distance", while the beacon lights are lighting up my game room & I frantically struggle to hit my shots for big points

Now that I'm thinking, I'm not sure if this was answered before.... will there be an adjustable setting in the menus as to whether the individual game modes are playable as selectable, random, or linear? I can see multiple reasons for these adjustments, either for home use or tournament play.

I get that people like to see all the modes in a game, but to me it would be kind of silly to play the modes out of order, like Self Destruct before something like Acid Burn. I guess it might depend how the scoring rules were setup, but I think it might be more immersive & increase the stakes for the player if the modes were played in order.

I suppose if there was an adjustable setting, people could set their own game up as they want. I mean I've had my Metallica for years now & still haven't seen End of the Line, and probably never will. But that's what keeps me coming back for more

#10359 2 years ago

I have no problem waiting as I have enough hobbies, interests, and projects to keep me busy.

They'll ship them when they're ready to ship & that's fine with me. We still haven't seen a finalized LE version revealed, with the backglass/cabinet artwork, fiber-optic lighting, airlock screen features implemented, seen the mechanical ball lock in action, etc etc. But I'm sure other LE owners will agree that this theme is worth the wait.

I also don't mind not being first in line either, but with that being said, I really hope my LE arrives sometime before the end of July.

#10416 2 years ago

WTF. Dialed In? Demolition Man instruction cards? More BS? Bunch of nonsense. This is an Alien update thread, thought there was a real update. Take it elsewhere.

deralien (resized).jpg

#10499 2 years ago

Looks like about 100 machines worth of eggs there! That's what we like to see

#10544 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Where it the Queen! How come we are not seeing photos of it from back alley? Where are game play videos of it?

As for the Queen - to everyone who misses her - we still hope to bring her back into the game, but will likely be an official after-market mod/add-on to be purchased separately. I can't go into detail about this, at this point, but if she makes it back onto the game then she will be a far better toy - and a much more relevant one.

Queen toy probably ranks #426 on their list of 500 top priorities right now.

#10777 2 years ago

Pretty sure that's how Full Throttle production went. Standards produced months before the LEs. Not sure if it had to do with getting the fiber optic lighting dialed in. But when shipping does start, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a bit longer for the LEs to get out. They know what need to be done better than any of us.

#10880 2 years ago

I don't get upset over first world problems, like pinball machine delays. Neither do most of the dream theme Alien fans in this thread.

It will ship when it's ready to ship. 'Nuff said. Meantime I'll be playing my other pins & patiently waiting.

#10927 2 years ago

Great milestone! Looking forward to the coming weeks

That black trim looks pretty nice too!

#11044 2 years ago

Non-reflective glass is definitely an option per the website. I'm just not sure if they decided on a supplier yet.

The glass & 27" backbox LCD are mandatory purchase options for LE owners IMO.

EDIT: You can add air freight shipping to that option list as well. At least those are the 3 things I'm going with.

#11150 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps Heighway can shed some light on the decision to use one. Instead of guys like you getting their panties in a bunch.

They already did, months ago.

The centre mini-post is a deliberate design choice. The flipper gap isn't any wider than standard, but there's a lot of lateral movement on this game which means more outlane drain potential. The post balances things pretty well, and you can't knock the satisfaction of a successful save with it.

If that's how the designer wants it, then that's the way to play it IMO.

#11307 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm waiting for the filmstrip.

I'm waiting for the first premature analysis hater, from someone who has only seen a video, and has reached the final determination that the game is complete utter garbage.

Looking forward to my LE more than ever now.

#11318 2 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I like that the default "All Out War" Champ is listed as RIP. Subtle nod right there

#11332 2 years ago

Actually no they won't help because those schematics are ancient history. The playfield & ramps look nothing like that now.

They never officially released the final schematic, but it sure would be nice if they did

#11335 2 years ago

After watching that gameplay video, you guys were serious about the outlane drains. But I love the "Indiana Jones/Centaur" RT outlane configuration. A skilled player could really make a lot of drain saves with proper nudging, and it looks like there could be some speed through there when a shot from the LT upper flipper goes to the 2nd vent. Kinda similar to Full Throttle's LT outlane, but man I just love that outlane design.

I would also think that it would be an important strategy to go for hypersleep chamber ball locks on the upper LT ramp as soon as they are available. I'm not sure what you have to do to light the lock though. Since the out lane drains are common, at least you can exchange a ball lock for a LT outlane drain if you hit the lit rollover.

#11336 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Isn't it still the same? The only things changed to my knowledge is the queen toy and far left ramp adjusted to be smoother but none of the layout was changed.

You're not looking closely enough. U-turn ramp different, entire Lt upper ball lock ramp changed, Rt upper loop magnet gone, queen chamber gone, etc etc. Again it would be really nice to see a black & white final schematic of the finalized playfield.

#11390 2 years ago

So the chestbuster pop up target was removed, along with the RT upper loop magnet. Looks like there's a rubber where the magnet used to be, closing off the pops area.

Care to share what the original intention of those features were, and why you decided to finally remove them? Just curious.

Thank you so much for posting!

#11409 2 years ago

Hop you don't mind Hilton, but I had to borrow your pic from the other thread. It's the best close-up of the playfield I've seen so far.

Few things that stood out...

1) I love those return rails, with the grating floor & the ceiling beams! What an awesome effect with the plastics & it really makes you think of the colony in Aliens. The ball must look pretty cool coming down there.

2) Speaking of plastics, I love the "alien goo" stretched across the inlanes.

3) I see that the knifed skull & crossbones from Bill Paxton's chestplate was added to the RT outlane drain. Very cool!

4) It's so awesome to see actual drop targets on a modern pin.

And this is just a standard Can't wait to see where the fiber optic lighting goes.

pf1 (resized).jpg

#11430 2 years ago

Double dose of video awesomeness tonight! God damn! BTW the pin looks amazing Andrew, LOVE those spinner sounds!

#11456 2 years ago

From what I understand, yes the black trim/legs on the LE will be a gloss black. The cabinet on the LE is also gloss black.

I'm leaning black trim, as it futureproofs the cabinet. With a black trim you can drop any other playfield in there as it will match anything.

#11464 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

So I know this system is meant to be able to swap playfields and art out, but what if you never do that?

Not sure how anyone could say that with any degree of certainty. Based on Alien & Full Throttle, I think the odds are highly probable that Dave Sanders is going to continue to design fun games that I want to purchase. And the thought of paying for just the playfield vs an entire new cabinet sounds incredibly appealing to many, either for cost savings or due to limited gameroom space. So I'll probably play it safe & give myself the option with a black or chrome trim, which looks awesome BTW.

#11527 2 years ago

I'd like to say that it's extremely exciting to find a new rising designer like Dave, who's creating unique layouts with interesting shot geometry & balancing that with speed and flow. Theres so much going on with both Full Throttle & Alien, instead of the same "legendary designers" at other companies who rehash the same recycled ideas & fan layouts over & over. I'm sure there are many who will agree that it's awesome to see a new young designer finally get a shot to show us something new & fresh

I guess I'll throw a few questions out there.... There are so many pins from so many different eras, so which pins & era do you enjoy the most, and how have they inspired you as a designer?

And many people still bring up the old saying that "all widebody games are slow", yet Full Throttle (and Alien) has clearly dispelled that myth. Still there are people who don't care for widebody pins, yet Heighway made the decision to produce widebody pins with their swapable cabinet design. From a design standpoint, why did you decide to focus on widebody games instead of a standard cabinet?

And if you had the freedom to design the ultimate dream pin for yourself, what theme would you choose?

Thanks for taking questions!

#11536 2 years ago

They offer chrome trim as an additional option, but it's a little pricey. Check their website. Black trim is also an option.

I think we need to see the LE art package before deciding on trim color. Hopefully soon

#11545 2 years ago

For reference. This is clearly Dave's game, as there were a ton of changes.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/228#post-3621723

#11629 2 years ago

I had a question for David if he wants to chime in... I noticed right when Ambush multiball starts, it plays the pulsing sounds of the motion tracker (which IMO is one of the most iconic sci-fi sounds ever created). But as the mode goes on, the motion tracker sound stops, yet the tracker is still pulsing & dots are moving on the screen.

Seems like this mode would be even more intense with that motion tracker sound slowly escalating as the aliens get closer. Is there too much to process during this mode to make that happen, or is it something you plan on adding later on after you get your hands on a game? The more motion tracker sounds, the better

I'm really just blown away with what you've accomplished so far

#11649 2 years ago

Thanks for replying David. Hudson's distance callouts were something I didn't even consider for that mode. See this game is in great hands

Since you guys are listening, I had a thought today. I love the "Not bad for a human" ending clip, and I'm sure you have others planned. But if a player had a really short lousy game & the score was under a certain threshold, I think it would be pretty funny if the Hudson clip came on and said "Hey maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

Someone also commented in the other thread that you might be considering changing the "You failed" screens after failing to complete modes, as it might be too harsh. Well please leave that in there! In my opinion, games with lastability should be difficult & frustrating, not because the layout is hard, but because I couldn't make my required shots in time. That will frustrate a player and challenge them to do better (see Flash Gordon). It's what keeps me coming back for more. So go ahead & keep reminding me that I blew it, that just makes me want to keep putting in quarters & try again!

#11694 2 years ago

I have to laugh at some of the stuff I'm reading here.

This is an ADULT theme, based on two classic R-Rated movies, about an Alien that bursts out of victim's chests & violently kills anything it sees. Don't waste one minute of valuable programming time dumbing it down for the masses or fainthearted. If you buy this pin or step up to play, you know what you're getting into. Operators aren't buying this pin to put it in Chucky Cheese, ok?

I don't give a rats ass about your kids getting exposed to the theme, violence or it's language. I don't care about sensitive players whose fragile egos get shattered by mode messages that taunt their lousy skills. Perhaps the coindoor should spit out little participation egg trophies after every game that say "You lost.....BUT YOU'RE STILL A WINNER!!!" I mean come on, give me a break.

This is a dream theme loveletter pin made for superfans, and we want Heighway to make it as badass as possible. Sorry for the rant. Carry on.

#11703 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm for "dumbing" or "smarting" it to whatever level allows them to sell a boatload of them and keep the company in the $$$ to make more games. Going all hardcore balls to the wall might be great for super hardcore testosterone drenched pinsiders but if the numbers don't crunch to = more sales, it's pointless. There has to be a balance.
Randomize the message.

Yeah that adult themed, bloody & violent Walking Dead sure was a real poor selling dud for Stern huh? There is a market for this stuff, and if the gameplay & code are stellar, the majority of people aren't going to care (which seems like the case here).

#11747 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Amongst other things we think it need to be a little more clear that you need to shoot the airlock to finish out the mode.

Really looking forward to seeing how the airlock LCD screen is further implemented. Seems like it's almost at alpha code right now with that small timer in the upper left corner. Lots of potential there though. Seems like it would be best utilized to display critical priority info, timers, etc. Care to share any ideas on using it?

Also had a question about the modes like Find Jonesy, where the orange insert is moving around & your bonus value get penalized for hit hitting blue shots. From watching the videos, sometimes its hard to find exactly where that orange insert is, but maybe it's easier in person. I'm aware you're still working on the coding of lighting effects.

Also if you keep hitting blue shots (not intentionally), is there any other shot to get those penalty points back? I'm guessing you keep hitting the orange shots to rank up value, perhaps extending the timer, then hit the airlock scoop to finish mode & collect reward? It's probably similar to Acid Burn as well correct?

#11758 2 years ago

Thanks for answering guys. I love the fact each mode was designed with a variety of specific gameplay strategies. That should really help to keep them interesting over time.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but what is the intended purpose of the 5 crosshair standup targets/inserts? Is that how you collect weapons?

#11766 2 years ago

The main determining factor depends on when orders were placed and when deposits/payments were received. Some standards will be shipped first, and the LEs will come later on. Again, it's always best to email questions directly to Andrew or the Heighway sales staff, or cointaker.

I'm paid in full & just patiently waiting for my LE. Until then I'm just happy watching the videos, interacting with the Heighway staff & hearing from people who have played the game firsthand. Won't be much longer until they're in full swing.

#11944 2 years ago

No US distrib if you're paying door-to-door air freight shipping, which I'm pretty sure most the people ordering from Heighway is doing. Once it ships via air from Heighway, it will be delivered in no time.

#12049 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I also knew as an early adopter that things change and that is part of the gig of being and early adopter, so I think that plays in as a factor.

This is an excellent point that should not be forgotten.

#12167 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

No, it can handle 3 separate HD outputs. That was one of the key objectives of the CPU upgrade... even though Alien only provides 2 distinct outputs, we wanted to ensure that future games could potentially move up to 3 distinct outputs without having to go through the CPU upgrade hassle again.

Just another reason to futureproof your cabinet & add the 27" backbox LCD. That's awesome. I have a feeling that it will come standard on Game 3 and after. That way they can program their games accordingly if the screens are standardized, and they also won't need to create so many different translights.

There's a lot of potential there for different outputs on the big backbox & the playfield screen.

#12305 2 years ago

I was really hoping that the LE artwork would be focused specifically on "Aliens", featuring the queen & blue hues throughout. No greens whatsoever, let that be the standard edition. Considering both films are part of the game, I think Aliens would have been a pretty cool look for the LE. I thought the blue trim option was an obvious clue.

But it seems they went in a different direction, going with the "35th anniversary edition" of Alien for the LE. Maybe this is what FOX demanded. I'm not sure. I do like the open jawed queen on the side panel tho. Not sure about both the blue & green hues on what they showed, but it does match the playfield. I'm sure they'll come up with something cool.

Fingers still crossed for exclusive blue hued Aliens package on the LE Blue & black is just a killer look IMO.

#12393 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

No, I probably should have phrased that better. I was talking more of a screensaver type of deal. Have the artwork display on the LCD when it is just sitting and turned on. I have no idea of what actually is displayed, but if you like that artwork, a stationary digital image would be as good as a translite.

I'm pretty sure during the attract mode, it shows the very first scenes from Alien. The camera slowly making its way through the hallways & areas of the Nostromo. It's a brilliant choice IMO, and one of my favorite cinematography moments from either film.

1 week later
#12503 2 years ago

How's this for effing awesome??? Damn, I have to have this poster framed for my office. WOW. Shame they couldn't come up with something "Geigerequise" for the LE art package, because this poster is off the charts cool.

IDK when my Alien LE will arrive, but I know Alien: Covenant is going to give me my fix until then

Covenantposter (resized).jpg

EDIT: Poster ordered Some US sellers have official double-sided 40x27 posters on eBay right now. Perfect for lightbox display. Not the cheap Hong Kong knockoffs.

#12509 2 years ago

Yeah that's a very good point guys. Custom sidepanel artwork mod would be great for Heighway pins, and not too hard to produce.

#12590 2 years ago

IMG_1207 (resized).PNG

#12668 2 years ago

Oh wait. Wrong movie... but still true.

IMG_1218 (resized).JPG

#12769 2 years ago

Thanks for the video! That was the first time I've seen the Self Destruct mode. I'm sure it's not fully coded yet, but I thought the insert/GI lightshow to simulate the yellow rotating beacons was a pretty cool effect. I can only imagine how cool that mode will look with the actual beacon toppers in a dark room

I just love what I'm seeing so far. The gameplay & ruleset is already solid, and the total package will only get better as the lighting, sound & presentation improves with further code updates. Looking forward to seeing what presentation they come up with for the Alien tongue grab & strobe lighting effect And the how the fibre optic lighting is integrated!

Keep up the good work Andrew

#12801 2 years ago

And I think it's worth repeating that the first games have shipped with alpha code, with limited use of the airlock screen & multiple audio/lighting/rule refinements on the way. Last I read, some of the development team (who are on both sides of the Atlantic) were still waiting on pins of their own to test on. The fact the code looks this good already is an accomplishment in itself.

So being disappointed, and saying there's no excuse for conveying the proper information is pretty unrealistic. I mean, seriously, give them a break already. The updates & improvements are coming.

#12865 2 years ago

So I've been watching lots of these twitch feeds from early adopters, and it seems that Hypersleep & Nute Multiball are somewhat difficult to achieve. Or perhaps people just keep going for the clear cut modes instead.

Getting Nute Multiball seems pretty straightforward, just keep going for lifecycles to start, like around 8 shots I think. But I still haven't seen it in a video yet. But the lifecycles sound pretty important overall, since they increase scoring values for the modes & multiballs. Seems like starting Nute first before diving into modes might be a good strategy.

Hypersleep Multiball sounds really cool by the way Ferret described it. I'm guessing it's the hardest of the multiballs to start. But I'm still a little confused how the locks are acquired & how they are used for ball saves in the left outlane. I also noticed that the drop insert lights change color, but not sure what that signifies. Because as I understand it, you have to knock down the drops to light the lock, but it can be pretty hard to make the ramp shot from the upper RT flipper, let alone getting it to feed to that flipper when the lock is lit. Sounds pretty tough, which is a good thing! You have to do that three times to start it, but you can also lose one of those hard earned ball locks via a LT outlane save. I hope the scoring for this mode is worth all the effort

Maybe Ferret can clarify.

#12881 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The existing code requires the ball to strike the standup target at the end of that lane for the shot to count. I recently added a "Chestburster Lane Difficulty" adjustment which, if set to Easy, allows that lane to be awarded just by the inductive switch in the lane, which means that weaker shots or even sometimes a well-placed kick from the pop bumper could award the shot.

Also, somewhat sadly, we removed the "steal your own locked ball" rule. Now the upper ramp always adds a lit "Revive" lane, but using a Revive lane to save your ball does NOT decrease your locked ball count.

Thanks for the explanation. After months of studying the layout, I never realized that when you guys removed the chestburster popup target & magnet from that area, you put a standup target in the lane instead. Looks like it's one of LED standups like on Full Throttle, so I'm guessing it will pulse when the chestburster shot is ready? That's pretty cool.

I think you made the right call on the Revive lane rule change. It's clear you've really put a lot of thought into this ruleset. Watching videos is nice, but I'm really looking forward to exploring this game on my own

#12906 2 years ago

Just to give you an update on LE art - we have told FOX that we need to hit one of either Alien Day or the release of Alien Covenant for revealing the LE artwork.
This is what everyone is working towards.
Games continue to ship. Tweaks, faults and adjustments learnt from the first batch of games are all being worked on and production is being ramped up.

Nothing has changed. They hope to reveal the LE package sometime between now & May 19th. Sit back & be patient.

#12924 2 years ago

Yeah that poster is phenomenal. I had to buy an official double sided one sheet for the office.

IMG_6816 (resized).JPG

#12947 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

once you start to learn to use that upper left flipper for defense of the outlane you barely notice how wide it is.

Great point. Shots exiting LT orbit, better hold that LT flipper button down

#12951 2 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

I think it's a bit of a catch-22 because the LE is also meant to be a 35th Anniversary edition for the second film - but it features the title treatment of the first film, not second.

When the project first announced, it was meant to represent the 35th anniversary of Alien in 2014. Now that we are years past that anniversary date, I was hoping they would drop the whole "35th anniversary" idea, and just make the SE based on Alien and the LE based on Aliens. Perhaps FOX didn't want to change it, or maybe that's why it's taking so long since they made changes.

Who knows, maybe they went Aliens LE route. I figured the blue LE trim was an indication of that.

But I seem to recall Aurich mentioning that the LE art would have green & blue hues (a long while back), so I have little hope that the LE package will just be based on Aliens, blue hues & the Queen. That would have been a really awesome look IMO.

If the words "35th anniversary" are featured everywhere on the final LE art, what would be kind of a bummer, but that's what I'm kinda expecting. We'll know soon enough.

#12954 2 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

why aren't there 100 machines assembled awaiting the boards? Way behind on production and nothing built in volume yet.

Were you at the factory today? Please enlighten us. If not, pure speculation.

I'm sure there will be an update of some kind tomorrow from Andrew, since it's Alien Day.

#12959 2 years ago

Tyler Stout comes up with some really cool stuff. I can only image what he might have come up with for an Alien pin, or any pin for that matter. Ordering 4xLP vinyl package for sure. That poster it's based on is unobtainium.

tyler-stout-alien (resized).jpg

#13040 2 years ago

I really don't want to nitpick, so I won't do that. I think it's really cool that the full sized LE backglass is hand drawn & looks killer. I wasn't expecting it to be hand drawn. But I just want to point out as Pimp77 said, it really doesn't match the overall look of the rest of the machine (unless you count the comic-book Alien at the top of the playfield, which I would argue shouldn't have been included in the first place).

Anyway it's really a moot point when you're putting the 27" LCD in there, as I won't display the full LE backglass in my machine.

With that said, the backglass looks really cool. I'll hold off on commenting on the fibre optic cables for now.

I just prefer the classic 1979, green-hued, cohesive look of the SE Alien art package

THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE ANDREW

#13094 2 years ago

What are you referring to when you say LED towers? Just curious.

I've also heard that they are working on some type of flasher-strobe effect around the Alien head when it grabs the ball.

#13104 2 years ago

SE Full Backglass---Eggs everywhere
SE LCD Backglass---Eggs between speakers
SE Side Panels---Alien Head

LE Full Backglass---35th Ann Hand Drawn Queen
LE LCD Backglass---???
LE Side Panels---35th Ann Queen Head

There are 6 art pieces, and 5 of those have been revealed. Will there be a LE LCD Backglass, with that hand drawn art scaled down between the speakers? I imagine there will be. The more I look at the LE backglass, the more I love it. With LE owners getting both the SE & LE art packages), there will be plenty of options for owners to create an overall look they like.