pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fuko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27042 3 years ago

I recently joined the Alien club, and so started looking for spare I/O boards as I've been told those are a weak link. I reached out to pretty much everyone who might be selling them asking about stock. Everyone was sold out, and the responses I got from people who would know seemed to indicate there aren't any more coming. At least that was the impression I got.

I did find 2 boards from someone who "had a few left". PM me if you really need one and want to know where I got them. Not trying to be a gatekeeper, I just don't want everyone flooding that person's inbox thanks to my post.

I'm certainly not an authority, but I was recently involved in a board production run and I learned a lot. Basically, due to setup, component procurement, yield and so on, you're going to need to hit a minimum order size for it to be financially feasible. Of course every project is different, but in our case that minimum was ~200 boards. Do you think you could sell 200 I/O boards? I honestly don't know.

I think to guarantee long term support for these games, the community will have to invest time in understanding and documenting the platform. That way, when things fail they at least have a chance of being repaired. There is already a lot of good troubleshooting info on Pinside today, but I haven't found much about the I/O boards. Has anyone spent time analyzing them? Did Heighway ever share *ANY* documentation?

Edit: someone has indeed done the righteous task of analyzing and sharing their findings. Thanks to @Per_!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/18#post-4810082

#27073 3 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

The problem is the code of the microcontroller. To my knowledge it can not be read out and the sources are not available / property of PB (I already asked ). It might be possible to capture and analyze the USB communication and develop new code.

The microcontroller is a 32-bit PIC device.
Datasheet: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PIC32MX5XX6XX7XX_Family)Datasheet_DS60001156K.pdf

Have you tried dumping the firmware from the device using MPLab and a PICkit3? It looks like P1 is the header for that interface. If you can read the hex file you may be able to decompile it

#27107 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Short answer, no.
Long answer, not unless a company wants to:
Re-engineer all of the electronics under the playfield.
Update the code to work with the all new electronics.
Redesign the playfield and its art to use normal switches instead of the induction switches.
Build the original cabinets or modify an existing cabinet to fit the new playfiield.
All this to re-release one machine where you already have a number of people who already own it and won't rebuy it. So no, its not being reintroduced stop asking.

Don't forget renegotiate the license with 20th Century, as the license to Heighway is almost certainly non transferrable. A company would need a plan to sell more than a couple hundred units for all that up front investment to make any sense. Given all the points already mentioned by dung, and the current economic climate dealing with the outcomes of a global pandemic for months (years?) to come, I wouldn't bet on this happening.

3 months later
#27727 3 years ago

The lights coming in from China are a bit of a tossup unfortunately.

I ordered this one from eBay:
ebay.com link: Emergency Light Rotator Warning Light Strobe light for factory workshop LTE 1101

And what arrived 1 month later was absolute junk. The light cover was twist off, so no screws, but importantly there were no moving parts in the unit. The "rotating light" was actually a stationary beacon in the center with LEDs on 4 sides, which when turned on / off in sequence gave the appearance of a rotating light. I threw them away.

Be careful what you buy, and share your results. I ended up ordering another set from one of the more recent links above, so thanks for sharing that.

5 months later
#28544 2 years ago

I'll be very interested to see what parts from the new PB Alien could be used to repair/upgrade a HW Alien.

Plastics for sure. That's great news.

Facehuggers with a broken tail, maybe?

PCB and anything else: probably a long shot.

#28556 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

That’s likely the only correct answer. If you just compare the underside of the Heighway Alien vs the Pinball Bros Alien, it’s clear that there is little in common between the builds.

I certainly believe it for any of the electronics. A quick visual comparison from the recently posted video shows it's 100% new.

But what about above the playfield? Plastics, etc? People have been hoarding spare parts, but hopefully we can swap out with new parts?

2 years later
#29852 5 months ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

MK6PIN’s new Alien mod sign up list

Heck yeah, count me in too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fuko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=fuko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.