• 22,869 posts
  • 951 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by ronaldvg
  • Topic is favorited by 276 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,390 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gimble_fiddle_front (resized).jpg
Trump_Heighway (resized).JPG
IMG_4928 (resized).JPG
291120661290_3 (resized).jpg
IMG_0500 (resized).PNG
9A6E24D6-05CB-4720-8183-29DD37681F74 (resized).jpeg
Can Safely Cut PETG (resized).PNG
CE754D3B-3013-416B-8FB0-11E492681810.gif
IMG_20180810_211559612 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180810_211513181 (resized).jpg
Wire_from_TV (resized).JPG
20180809_141539 (resized).jpg
4E500D4B-255D-491F-BC08-FBD7522FA685 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0192 (resized).JPG
IMG_0184 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (1 year ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (1 year ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (1 year ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (1 year ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (1 year ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (1 year ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (1 year ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (1 year ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

287 posts in this topic match your search for posts by frolic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Any chance you will have a Canadian distributer like The Playdium store? I'm going to buy this pinball but man is it a pain with all the shipping and crap. Please keep us canucks in mind. Thanks

I put Andrew in touch with Guylaine so hopefully they can work something out.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm going to go with Dennis Nordman over "I think that flipper is in the wrong place" personally.

Pinball News posted a photo of Nordman, you can see a game covered behind him. They say they are building a white wood, so this is likely a foamcore("Nordmancore") version he's playing with. I'm good with letting the expert figure it out.

2.jpg

#63 3 years ago

I hope for the screen they mimic those ancient computer displays as much as possible.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That thing under the blanket may be a different game entirely.

Quite possibly. I'm just guessing.

#120 3 years ago

Andrew all but said it will be photo realistic art on this title, so we better stop posting Dark Horse photos and get over it.

#140 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure Andrew has said in the past that the lit ramp LE option for Full Throttle would be available to buy on its own. So I'd have the same question about the Alien ramps, as well as the beacon topper.

I'm buying a standard full throttle for the full intention of buying other heighway games, so no LEs for me.... I hope the toppers and ramp mods will be made available for every game, since modularity is their big selling point.

#165 3 years ago

yeah, who knows when they flew back home.

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have money and space.

That's a beautiful thing to say.

#222 3 years ago

Well, the good thing is if you bit the bullet for an Alien, your space issues will be better managed in the future with new playfields for the heighway system at least.

#256 3 years ago

I hope this works out. As a Full Throttle owner getting a full-blown game like Alien with multiple toys, LCD screen, LED lights, etc. for $3900 is pretty sweet. Hell the all-in-one price of $6100 is pretty darn good.

I would think the shipping costs would be significantly reduced as well, thankfully.

I hope you can keep titles #3 and beyond below the $4k... that is a good psychological threshold to stay below.

#273 3 years ago

Sounded like they won't be having much of a christmas holiday at heighway, trying to get those games out and get some money coming in.

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

If the website is correct, then really only the beacons and ramp lights matter (can do without the green powder, especially if I plan to swap in other games that won't look right with the green). Sounds like the beacons and ramp lights will be available as upgrade mods, so if these are the only differences and the playfields are the same, there isn't a lot of urgency for me to get an LE.

This is the case.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Any idea what that other "LE shotmap" was then?

I'm not sure what you are referring to, can you link to it?

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I just want the best Alien I can get my hands on.......

I believe this is why the LEs exist. For the hardcore owners who want the best for that particular game.

I ordered Full Throttle knowing it was my starter game, so there was no need to lock in to an LE with it.

2 weeks later
#372 3 years ago

I'm waiting for my Full Throttle so I'm not pre-ordering this till my game shows up, but I'd appreciate it to see any updates. No need to go "jpop" on it and snuff out the interest to the general pinball public.

#374 3 years ago

Oh, and Andrew... My advice on keeping on the good side of Pinside is to keep the communication open. Especially with your aggressive April release window. I'd keep updating on how things are coming and how much is left and how that affects the release date.

I think everyone will be understanding of whatever news you bring, but you've got to keep the updates coming, especially now that you've taken deposits. This is where the other pinball projects have lost the Pinsiders. They disappear when the fantasy portion of the project is over.

You know I'm rooting for you, so I hope you take the advice to heart.

#379 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

IMHO you should be doing that already with Full Throttle.

Actually, this is a good example. I emailed Andrew asking for an update, he replied.

Andrew, you should post that update to Pinside. You've got your own forum here.

#402 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Lit side box art? I didn't see that on Heighways teaser page:

The lit side panel is standard on all heighway games, here is their latest cabinet, you can see where the art goes:

10355642_271558459634772_8275919738796988642_o.jpg

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Why the large cutouts at the flipper buttons, start button, and shooter rod?

The modular design. Alien will have a manual plunge, but Full Throttle has a button plunger.

Games could have 1 or 2 flipper buttons, etc.

When you swap the playfield, you swap the plunger.

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Potential of 2 screens...one in playfield AND backbox!!!

Andrew mentioned this as a potential "mod" for Full Throttle in the past. I hope they do it, because the games are swappable it would be a one-time purchase so I'd do it in a second.

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Obviously there will be a shipping charge? But will there for sure be no taxes? Since it seems to be like ordering any other pb machine online?

From what I understand, Heighway will get their games to Chicago. From there you pay to get it to you, just like any other game.

Quoted from Hazoff:

unless Andrew finds a Canadian distributor

He is talking to Playdium now. Not sure the status of that, but if you haven't already you may want to tell Guylaine you're a potential buyer.

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Is the $3900 price for the "kit" that you can swap in and out of if you already own FTT?

Yes. The playfield, translite and cabinet side panels swap.

2 weeks later
#497 3 years ago

Hopefully going forward Heighway has the ability like Stern to announce games only when release is imminent. This is a problem now only because of the early pre-orders. If all we were talking about was Full Throttle at the moment, their next release, and Alien was announced in the spring along with a complete playfield photo, there is no story.

But this title was sold on pre-order with 2 points: 1 the Alien license, and 2 the Nordman name. That was all anyone had and still has basically.

That probably is also the reason Dennis felt compelled to go public. If the game was being sold on his name and reputation, he probably felt it necessary to set the record straight. No pre-orders would have meant he could stay silent.

#529 3 years ago

I'm curious how much a normal pinball is refined and refined again during development?

That seems to be the crux of the problem with Dennis' involvement. I'm guessing Andrew thinks they can turn games faster by having a virtual pinball first and then creating a real world one and knocking it out. That is certainly possible but the entire model hasn't been proven yet, and Full Throttle sure saw its share of tweaks from real world testing.

#532 3 years ago

Thanks for the response, Andrew. I don't doubt you might have a whole new quicker way of doing things that are at odds with 1990s WMS development style.

I can only suggest you keep doing what you are doing and update us as much as possible. The information blackouts are when the shit storms get started here on Pinside.

My other suggestion, which I'm sure you've already come to your own on, is title #3 not get announced till production is ready .

#541 3 years ago

Andrew, with Full Throttle, the 2 main toys originally were the supercharger and the pop-up pop bumpers. Both were removed for reliability issues.

The new spinning motorcycle spinners have been tweaked and evolved as well since they were first shown, better motor, better tactile surface.

Will the new accelerated development cycle allow for time to review, tweak and revise toys? Seems like they would be the most prone to real-world issues that wouldn't be apparent virtually, more so than the playfield itself.

Maybe you could explain how you can deal with those types of issues, and how it will go better/faster than the Full Throttle development.

#568 3 years ago

Andrew, you took the bad news announcement from earlier this week and pushed it away by keeping the communication open and continuing to post information and progress on the game.

Just shows that Pinside is not a negative cesspool. There is a reason why pinside can turn on a company and you are showing the right way to handle things.

I'd appreciate some further Full Throttle updates, even minutiae, as you get ready to get them out the door. Once those games start being delivered and you cement yourself as someone who can "get it done", I think you'll be primed for success with the big Alien license which will be sure to really open things up for your company.

#582 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Some more news 'hot off the press' - we have official concept approval for our game.

What does this mean, Andrew? I don't know what that entails.

#591 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I keep thinking it would be cool to here marine assault rifle or turrets firing based on the number of rotations on the spinner when hit.

that would be bad ass.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Kinda weird... Flipper shapes, slings and pop bumper diameters are cut out....

That's the heighway modular system, they all pop out for quick replacement.

#621 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

How much would a replacement flipper assembly run?

dunno, but I think the thinking behind it is an operator can have a spare, replace it on location, take the broken one with him and fix it at his shop, instead of trying to repair it at the location. So swappable does not mean disposable.

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from AloneMordakai:

I was also thinking that it will make it easier on those that aren't as savvy trying to repair/replace parts on their own machines.

yeah, I don't know how to solder. I own all new Sterns which for the most part haven't fallen apart yet. I like the idea of having some spare parts around and just using a screwdriver.

1 week later
#633 3 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I kinda worry about the shipping to the States though.

They have a chicago depot. All games will be sent from there. You only need to pay for shipping from chicago.

1 month later
#696 3 years ago

I figured it was inevitable for super bands to ship from factory eventually. The difference is the game (if we are correct and those are super bands) is being designed with them, not rubber and then replaced with super bands.

#700 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

- No lamps in the slingshots. Hopefully the lower playfield near the flippers is illuminated well.. possibly lamps shining downward from the tops of the slings?

Checking out this Full Throttle video, there are color changing lights everywhere including slingshot GI in Heighway's system:

I imagine Alien will be using the same parts.

#707 3 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Frolic have heard anything on Full Throttle being done? Feb? March?

About a month ago I was told production "starting" end of Jan, with first batch of machines going out end of February. Today Andrew said the production is starting mid-Feb but they think they can still get the first batch out the door end of February. My machine is part of that first batch.

It feels like we're close, sort of like the very last of the MMR wait, where it was week-to-week checking if things were on the line at Stern. Obviously this being pinball, nothing is certain until there is a machine sitting at my house.

If the slight delay meant the cabinet had those changes to allow the additional lcd in the backbox (which I will get), then I'm good with it. We're talking weeks now, not months of delay.

If Heighway is successful getting the machines out by end of February, and the *original* release schedule was "November/December" (this is what was said at Expo), then that 3 month delay would be one of the best launch windows for a pinball startup holding onto their date.

I'm not including him talking about releasing a game last year or earlier, because he never took money then from anyone so that is his liberty to change/delay the game. He only took money this past Fall, so that is the point I'll hold his feet to the fire over release dates.

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Has Heighway announced a price for Alien if you just wanted to do the playfield swap thing? Their website shows prices for the pins themselves but nothing about the conversion kits.

If I recall, it's priced at $3900 US for the kit which is playfield, translite, cabinet art and software update.

I haven't pre-ordered Alien since I'm already in on Full Throttle and I'm drawing the line at 1 pre-order per company!

As soon as my Full Throttle arrives I'll send Heighway some more money

#713 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Did you play the game at expo? Did you notice the airballs and such off the bent back stand-up targets? I made a comment here and Andrew acknowledged there were some proto parts in the game and they will make things more durable in the production version. I'm curious if you experienced this because I'd love to know from a user how differently things feel on the final game.

Haven't played it. But prototypes exist for a reason so I don't see why things like that wouldn't be addressed. Better that they get exposed while being played hard at expo than later on.

I am taking a risk by being an early buyer, but I like new technology pinball.

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

I would have thought April would have been more realistic?

Not sure what would take that long, the game is finished, they're basically waiting for parts at this point.

3 weeks later
#781 3 years ago

Wow. I never would have thought a basic white wood would look anywhere near half decent. Very cool.

Where on your schedule are you? In light of the fact that Full Throttle will have barely been released by April, I have to think everything is pushed back. That is ok, no one believed April when you said it (except Dennis apparently ) but if things are pushed back you might as well make it known now before people start asking.

From a business standpoint, Full Throttle obviously needs some time to be available and be for sale before title 2 comes out, so I'm curious how it will all play out.

#783 3 years ago

I think the key is the Full Throttles need to roll out and the people who receive them must be happy with them (no major problems). Once that happens, then Heighway has shown they are a "real" pinball manufacturer and not playing make believe, and that will make whatever delay with Alien that much easier for everyone.

4 weeks later
#852 3 years ago

First off, this is me just speculating here....

Full Throttle originally was going to come out December 2014 (this was said at Expo when the April Alien date was said).

So if the first Full Throttles start arriving in April.. that is a 4 month delay. If the same 4 month delay pushes everything back (and why wouldn't it, Full Throttle needs its time being produced and sold) that puts Alien starting delivery around August.

I hate to be pessimistic beyond that, but we also know how pinball scheduling works. and Alien is dealing with a license, people have to sign off on stuff. So it's quite possible Heighway will be showing up with the first Aliens at Expo.

He must get the Full Throttles out though, if he can at least do that he'll join the "Get shit done" club and is producing and selling actual pinballs, and that hopefully will put Alien buyers minds at ease.

#858 3 years ago

I'm a big supporter of Heighway, but I don't let that cloud my vision of what is going on out there in pinball land with everything else.

He has been communicative, both here and privately with me. He called me last week out of the blue just to touch base, so, yes, things get delayed, parts are late, Chinese celebrate their new years for a month, licensors can be slow with approvals. I get it.

Until my machine shows up at my house, we're still waiting. But I told him I'll be happy for both him and me when I get to post my pinside thread about the game showing up.

#860 3 years ago

Well, the latest update is a request for 50% payment today as production is starting THIS Monday (March 30).

Other 50% will be collected when they send a photo of my game at the end of the line ready for shipping .

Edit: Sorry, was speaking of FULL THROTTLE. Posted this in the wrong thread.

#862 3 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

This is for Full Throttle right? To clarify?

Yes, sorry, wrong Heighway thread, but still relevant to Alien.

#887 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Alien is the first licensed title. I don't doubt that were things fully in Heighway's control that we'd see more results already. But you're a bit of a slave to the licensor's schedule when it comes to approvals, and it's not the kind of thing you can show in-progress work on when you're waiting for that response. So I would think we're just seeing a little of the reality of that side of the game appearing. Big corporations aren't exactly known for moving fast.

I think it is easy to read between the lines here and figure out what is going on. Andrew already showed us a very rudimentary flipping white wood, and said he'd show us the backglass when approved and here we are still haven't seen it. So it's not hard to figure out who's court the ball is in.

Then we look at the experience of games like TBL, how it took them several months to show us much of anything, far longer than they wanted, and then when we did see stuff we learned it wasn't all signed off on and that was a problem.

Of course there is Predator on the flipside, where we saw the art get worked on with daily updates, and have since learned that is exactly how things DO NOT work.

With his April release date going out the window I'm sure he has regrets about being so bullish about stating it, but I'm sure these are lessons learned and the infrastructure he's setting up for quick game development will pay off in the future, even if we're seeing some unanticipated delays now.

#889 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Or maybe they don't want to risk the FT public attention to drop into the shadows with it being this close to market. You have to believe the Alien reveal reactions are going to hit like a tsunami and encompass the limelight.

Well, whatever the reasons, it can only help Full Throttle to be the only game we're talking about. When the Full Throttles start arriving and look like exciting games, I'm willing to bet a lot of people will consider getting one, knowing Alien is a $4k "upgrade" down the road, so it doesn't have to be an either/or choice.

#893 3 years ago

Andrew gave the $3900 US price before, my apologies to him if it has changed or something. It is not on the website, but I found other references to it on Pinside.

Because it is not on his website lets call that "unofficial". That is also US$, and he is overseas, so not sure how it will translate to other currencies, other than there is a significant discount for buying a kit for an existing Heighway game.

#898 3 years ago

I'm pretty certain Andrew said the cones and lights on the LE can be bought as separate mods for the standard.

I think the LEs are really for people that love the particular theme and see keeping it dedicated.

#899 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I suspect Alien is much further along than we think ( or are allowed access to at this point)

Well, we've been told there was a virtual table that was already designed and shown to Fox some time ago. Then the whitewood build which we've seen start. So the likely hangup is getting the clearance for the art, which fortunately can be the last step anyways. But it also means it delays us seeing it.

#917 3 years ago

Found this from earlier in the thread, the upgrade costs for a Full Throttle owner to buy Alien playfield, and vice versa.

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the delay in getting you upgrade info.
So, here is the pricing info:
Full Throttle - Standard Edition Upgrade
2 x Cabinet Sideart
1 x Printed Backbox Artwork Panel
1 x Fully Populated Playfield
1 x Game Software
Prices:
UK: £2,800 (including 20% VAT) + Delivery
Europe: €3,600 (including 20% sales tax - this may vary depending on country) + shipping
USA/Canada: $3,750 (net - no sales tax added, but may be applicable) + shipping from USA warehouse
Alien Pinball - Standard Edition Upgrade
2 x Cabinet Sideart
1 x Printed Backbox Artwork Panel
1 x Fully Populated Playfield
1 x Game Software
1 x Shooter Rod Plate Assembly (if this appears on the finished game)
Prices:
UK: £2,900 (including 20% VAT) + Delivery
Europe: €3,700 (including 20% sales tax - this may vary depending on country) + shipping
USA/Canada: $3,900 (net - no sales tax added, but may be applicable) + shipping from USA warehouse
Ordering for SE Upgrades will be available via our website next week
Limited Edition Upgrades, for both games, are a little more complicated as there are different options depending on trim, hardware, etc...
We will post more information, including pricing, on LE upgrades next week

1 week later
#996 3 years ago

Heighway will produce Alien until the wheels come off. This is also different from some of the forced scarcity of Predator and the jpop games (forcing you to buy in early if you want it).

No need to put money in harms way. Wait until you see a finished game.

From Andrew's comments on the C2C podcast, Alien will likely (hopefully?) be the last game he announces so early. I whole heartedly agree that its better for everyone to follow a Stern style release, announce games when they are about to go into production, and pump them out until the demand is met.

2 months later
#1076 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

The Walking Dead has drop targets on their Pro Model....

So does Mutang, Star Trek and Metallica.

2 weeks later
#1107 3 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

You know what's a really clever play mode? The "Lost in the Zone (6-ball)" in Twilight Zone. Six balls for about 45 seconds. It's a lot of fun. And when the 45 seconds is up, the flipper buttons stop working and the balls drain. Smart game.
What would be better is endless balls for 45 seconds. ie. just keep shooting drained balls back on to the field.
ie. Use this mode for the Nostromo in self destruct mode and when the countdown ends, the flippers go dead. During that 45 seconds you have to end the self destruct mode by hitting a target, or a sequence of targets. The analogy to the original film is Ripley running back to cancel the self destruct sequence.
That would be cool.

Just inspired another idea to reuse something from past pinball:

Some sort of "no hold" flipper multiball, for use with a sentry mode. The sentries are taking out hordes of aliens, laser shots and alien scream sound effects and complete bedlam with keeping the balls flying. Maybe the ammo of the sentry is shown on the LCD, each flipper press is another shot, watching the number go down to zero and... flippers are dead (out of ammo). Mode can reset and give you back your ball.

2 weeks later
#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Any idea's of when we can expect some updates? I would love see some artwork.

At this point all eyes are on UK Pinball Party Aug 22.

#1284 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't think Andrew likes it either. But I can understand why he did it. Frankly the climate when Alien was announced in pinball was pretty different. It felt like if you didn't throw your card into the ring people were going to commit all their pinball funds to other pre-orders.

I can understand the thinking, but boy, when you think about it, how messed up the whole "pre-order pinball mania" was. All this money sucked up for games that may never see the light of day. Heighway is at Expo 2014 with a Full Throttle prototype, but that was yesterday's news already, so the arms race meant you had to announce something else.

It will be better for everyone when that is over with.

#1297 3 years ago

I can only speculate that the price creep has to do with the fact that the game has changed since first announced.

Speaks back to the point that it will be a better situation when game announcements are not made so early.

1 week later
#1547 3 years ago

This is what Andrew said earlier in this thread:

So what does this mean for the timeline of this game? Everyone involved with this game is in agreement that we are going to target the UK Pinball Party, on 21st-23rd August 2015 (at Heighway Pinball’s factory in Merthyr Tydfil, UK) as the global launch of this game.

That is only a few weeks away. If that has changed he should probably temper expectations then.

#1548 3 years ago

I do have 1 idea though:

At the UKPP, create a closed secure room for "eyeballs only" with small groups of 4, all phones and devices are checked at the door.

I've seen this done at trade shows. Back when I was in the video game biz, we were brought into a private booth at CES for an early look at the Sega Saturn before it was publicly revealed.

#1566 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've got to tell you, after Jpop, Woz delays I lived through, TH delays etc.

I have gotten myself into ZERO expectation mode on any timeline.

Pinball is a crazy business. It would be easy to say "Well, their second game will come together faster", but then you look at Hobbit.

And we're still waiting for Full Throttle to be delivered. I'm not knocking Heighway when I recount this, but it was August last year that the big Pinball News article hit, with the game supposed to be released 3 months later. I have a flyer from Expo that says "November/December", then there was the release party in January. And here we are in August, and no games delivered yet except for those ones that are now seen at shows.

I know "shit happens". I think the solution to all of this is to not announce games so early. Then no one can really complain about lack of seeing this or that. Build 'em and sell 'em, and don't say anything until they are being built.

#1587 3 years ago

1 month later
#1735 2 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

And what news do you speak of? How about showing something? Anything? That playfield layout? Did I miss something else?

The hold up is licensing approvals, that has been clear. Visitors to the UK pinball party got to see a lot of "eyeballs only" stuff in a private room, and the reports from them were very exciting.

It is what it is, but with expo so close it makes sense to hold back at this point even if they got an approval this past week.

#1769 2 years ago

I think Heighway agrees with PinChilli's views, the circumstances around the Alien announcement are not something they want to repeat. Even with Full Throttle, they didn't take deposits until they had a finished game to show everyone.

What's done is done at this point, and I don't believe game 3 will follow the same early announcement route.

It is ironic that the reason for the Alien announcement was because Lebowksi and Hobbit were sucking up all the air at Expo '14, and those 2 games are still waiting for light of day.

#1794 2 years ago

The Heighway pop bumpers are quite good, even on Full Throttle. There's a mode where they turn into orange and have a circling effect, and it is a real eye grabber because we've never seen anything like it before.

#1801 2 years ago

Having Full Throttle in my lineup, the panels are so eye catching, no one has ever said "I wish the art covered more of the cabinet". Instead they say "WOW!". It is a big leap over traditional cabinet art to have the illumination and I'll take the trade off.

#1812 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

One concern I have when I see any manufacturer that is so far off in their release estimates is the unexpected hit on their resources.

If they really expected to release FTH at the beginning of 2013, then it must be tough to absorb the extra 2 years of salaries and other expenses needed to keep the business running.

This is why it was such good news to learn about the Bacardi deal. A cash infusion to develop another product. It also delayed Full Throttle because they changed their focus for that until it was done. But to me it was the "best" reason to delay something, since it results in cash coming in, not just burning cash for years on end.

#1942 2 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I'm excited to see what Dave designs in the future. It seems Heighway has a true asset in Dave.

I agree. As a Full Throttle owner, the game shoots awesome. Only onwards and upwards from here.

#1991 2 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

LED stripes in the backbox. i always liked the light show in Bally or Williams Backboxes.
Would have been better if the Backbox was filled with controllable LEDs and LED flashers .

I'm pretty sure it's been said that these are addressable, like 50 individual leds can be addressed.

#1998 2 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

The alternative would be to use proprietary connectors and technologies that are immediately more expensive and less useful *right now* let alone in a few decades.
HDMI and USB are as pervasive as it gets. They will end up being technically obsolete but adapters/backwards compatibility support would keep it extremely accessible for many years to come.
Consider how old VGA is (1987), and it STILL ships on business-oriented laptops almost 30 years later. And you can readily get VGA convertors for newer connectors such as HDMI, Thunderbolt and DisplayPort. Same for USB, an 18-year old USB device can still connect to a 2015 computer and will be able to for many many years to come.

yeah I'd be more worried about proprietary connectors that ubiquitous ones.

#2023 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't have a problem with the theme on FTH at all myself. But I'm a bit worried that the callouts from the main character could quickly become annoying/grating.

There are 3 main voices. Man announcer, woman announcer / narrator, and Valentino.

Valentino I would say overall is funny, but I'd like more variety added. He has good insults, but I think he could use more of them so they don't repeat.

4 weeks later
#2284 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Seems like just type Heighway in to the "show posts from pinsider" box and you have the problem solved for those that it bothers.

Maybe this can be added as a Pinside "feature" for companies that have a Pinside presence. Some convenient link at the top of every page they post on (under "TOOLS"), people can click to see their posts. I know the ability is there to type their name and do the same thing, but it might be more popular if made easier.

It also might make companies that are borderline with their Pinside support more inclined to post stuff here, knowing there is a way for people to cut through the noise and get the details.

#2378 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

It's probably modular, just plug n play

The backbox screws onto the cabinet with wing nuts, and there is only a single molex and an hdmi that runs between the cabinet and backbox.

#2382 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

should really pull in people on location

visiting a Dave & Busters, and all the huge LCDs all over the place, the painted translite for pinball really is archaic, if you are trying to pull location players.

#2456 2 years ago

Having sat with it a few days, I have to say I'm not thrilled with the egg as the primary backglass image for the game. This is 2015 (2016 when the game comes out), back in 1979 you couldn't show your monster. But after 4 movies the xenomorph is one of the greatest known movie monsters of all time and it's a bummer he isn't front and center with more action and excitement present.

Based on what we know about how hard it was to get cleared, we might be stuck with it. So it feels like a missed opportunity, but what can you do. Gotta get this game out.

#2480 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you have tens of millions of dollars in budget and you're making a game like Alien Isolation? Hey there's some room there. And part of that budget is going to pay for a team from Fox to oversee everything.

Ah... I was wondering what the difference was and how those games can create so much content.

#2535 2 years ago

Having the smaller version of the LCD in my full throttle, I already feel it needs to do more than just mirror the playfield. It kind of feels odd to have 2 displays with the exact same thing.

The big LCD will only lesson the impact of the playfield lcd if it is just mirroring it.

I do see the "wow" factor of it, and hopefully that means more money on location. On the other hand, operators seem motivated by price and are already resistant to dropping $1500 more than a Stern Pro for a location machine. We can see in the factory photos that there are lots of buyers of the base model with only the playfield LCD.

So this is kind of confusing the market now, with all these options, and how to support them.

#2560 2 years ago
Quoted from Silver:

Just to redress many of the negative comments here, I really like the artwork.

I think part of the problem is we're a year past the initial expo 2014 announcement, and a year later we see the backglass image... and not much else to talk about with no playable game at the show or anything.

I know the calculated reason to announce it last year, but it just seems beyond the initial hype, it sets up a situation of difficulty living up to expectations instead of letting the game in its entirety be judged.

From all reports, what is planned to be in the game is very impressive, but we don't have the game to look at today.

#2586 2 years ago

With how long it took to get the back glass cleared (and that is with using "their" art to create it), how does that apply to playfield and LCD content? Is it the same process?

1 week later
#2707 2 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Has a machine ever done a surprise multiball mode that can just happen during normal gameplay with no warning? That would be great for an Aliens ambush.

Perhaps combined with no hold flippers. So you are just flipping for your life during the onslaught... maybe timed.

1 month later
#3026 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I think it has to do with their modular approach. People who have enough room will buy LE's and leave them as is.

Heighway's LEs seem to be created exactly for this reason. Anyone else can go with playfield swaps.

#3149 2 years ago

The beauty of the Heighway system is if Alien is the huge hit everyone expects it to be, it will create sleeper demand for Full Throttle, for people picking up the playfield upgrade. It doesn't need to be a huge hit out of the gates. No one says the game sucks, so in time it can find an audience.

#3235 2 years ago

i think the biggest problem with p2000 was that the second title was less desirable than the first, and that it ended with that one. So we'll never know how it might have gone.

In this case, title 2 is much more desirable.

#3337 2 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Maybe this sounds dumb but is there a package available where I get a blank or generic cabinet that I can fit Full Throttle, Alien and the following games in? I'd want the large lcd option as well.

The standard cabinet is "generic" that will fit all games.

1 week later
#3604 2 years ago

Wow. look at how fast this thread went back to topic.

#3710 2 years ago

I like it a lot. Obviously the danger of showing it unpopulated is we will over analyze it, outside of the context of a completed pinball. Throw in the playfield LCD action, and color changing lights, ramps, plastics, this will be very complimentary.

It feels like it's own piece, not just recycled license assets. Thumbs up.

#3713 2 years ago

Judging by the inserts, there are 5 Alien movie modes, 5 Aliens movie modes, and 5 multiballs.

#3737 2 years ago

The better quality one is much better.

I think there's a lesson here, that we live in a world of immediate cell phone pics and videos. Look at how a lot of recent Stern releases were shown for the first time.

I'd suggest a better online plan for reveals... whether it is art, or even a complete game announcement. So much effort is put into having the unveiling at these shows, for "dozens" of people, when the real audience is right here, and should be made the priority.

#3748 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Andrews company , Andrews call

It was public, it was a flyer.. I say fair game.

What I'd suggest to Andrew is for ALL shows... EAG, Pinball Expo, anywhere he is setting up... if he is doing a talk or reveal of anything, there is a plan for an online reveal simultaneously.

Ie: at 9am local time when the EAG show opened its doors today, all Alien info was immediately posted.

or, if he has a talk about Pinball Expo scheduled for 6pm local time, at precisely 6pm a staffer posts whatever it is he's going to talk about.

Otherwise you are guaranteed to not control your message, the cell phones are out.

#4004 2 years ago

Yeah, I don't think anyone here wants to add a Hobbit kind of delay to Alien just so we can let the art cook longer.

#4082 2 years ago

They want to have the game at TPF in March. Let's just call it a day and get this game out the door. It's already a year late.

#4110 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've learned from GOT not to put too much stock in PF art. The GOT playfield looks like crap (although it grows on you), but the game is amazing. If you don't like Aurich's work, will it really matter if Alien is an amazing game as well?

The true weak spot of GOT is the red dots. Alien has that covered, plus all the extra goodies like the light show. I have many "bad art" pins (I'm looking at you ac/dc), so I know the entire package is how things should be looked at.

#4329 2 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Strange, since Ian Holm licensed his likeness for the recent Alien video game.

$$$ talks.

#4383 2 years ago

Nice mockup. Starts putting it into perspective. Really it's all about that alien at the bottom and the scope.

#4398 2 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Funny, apparently a mod blocked me from this thread. But I can still access it if I google it..

Sounds like it's been drained, not blocked.

1 month later
#4961 2 years ago

It would probably be better to say whether there is a game coming or not, rather than have everyone hopeful for the next 17 days and have it suck the wind out of the show if there is no game there.

I'm sure even if the prototype is finished sometime soon, you don't take that first prototype to be played 1000 times at a show. I'm sure it will need more tweaks before the public gets access.

#4968 2 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

All Heighway has said is

A playable prototype should be an unexpected bonus, IMO. Just seeing the thing together and in some kind of attract mode showing some of the display work would be more than enough.

I agree Andrew never promised anything like the final machine, but it's evolved in expectations so he might want to get ahead of this and be more clear as the show approaches.

#4976 2 years ago

should we show what we have, can we show what we have and will we show what we have.

I'm not trying to talk in riddles

lol!

It's all good, Andrew. You know me, just trying to give you some helpful advice on how things may appear from the other side. I only bring it up because I've seen how things can go if expectations aren't managed, and you end up in an unwinnable situation. Maybe you're already in it, but regardless I suggest you make things known as soon as you can so there aren't posts on the first day of the show complaining that Alien isn't there (even though it was never said it would be... you follow?)

1 week later
#5033 2 years ago

It's tough as well because GB we are seeing a completely populated game, and with Alien we are still seeing a bare playfield.

It is what it is though... the double edged sword of announcing something so early.

Stern took shit from everyone for not just coming out and showing everything when the leaks started showing up... but look at what they managed to do, they still got to do their big reveal.

#5086 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

keep your chin up Aurich.

+1.

1 week later
#5173 2 years ago

Seeing that model really puts the "wait to see the entire final product" philosophy in perspective.

1 month later
#5657 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I understand the excitement and optimism here. But why are people assuming this delay is all the fault of the licensor?

Well, we know there was a video submitted to them that Andrew was hoping we'd see by Alien day, and that still hasn't shown up. Whatever the status of the pin is, that video is held up by the licensor for certain.

#5673 2 years ago

Kind of feels like we'll be lucky if there is a playable Alien game at Expo this year. Not meaning to be negative, but this has been so slow and there's never been a playable prototype for the public. And then you think about the process after that prototype is first shown. We've been down this road before.

I guess all of this would have been OK if Alien was never announced publicly. We'd be talking about Full Throttle and wondering what the next game was. Hell, for all we know games 3 and 4 are much further along and have had less license impediments. But Alien was announced as game 2 so we've got to ride that out.

#5835 2 years ago

Kaneda was kicked out of pinside for ruining umpteen threads, and he still continues to do it just from people bringing him up. What a toxin.

#5886 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

I trying to remember of a single pin license before that has had this problem (apart from TBL) that couldn't show things from the advertising, and that was from a film that had already come out (t2) and they were allowed to show the T-1000.

Because traditionally games aren't announced until they are done. TBL had the same problems because it was announced early, just like Alien. And just like Alien, there was pressure on them to show ANYTHING, because people were waiting (some with money in).

This will likely be the last pinball title announced early, by any company.

#5890 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

HA! Now that's funny.

PPS/CGC have already delayed announcement of #2, until they are at the end with no delay to production.

I doubt Heighway will do this again.

DP I doubt will do it again.

Stern doesn't do it.

JJP has said they aren't doing it again.

I think we can still get games shown that aren't in production yet, but it won't be a situation of announcing a title and waiting years while they make it. That is over.

#5893 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Duly noted and quote saved for later

If I'm wrong, then those companies deserve all the backlash they get. The "we didn't know what we didn't know" excuse only works once.

#6113 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This. If you are Fox's IP department, this kind of project (complex, lots of IP integrated, and low $ return) is probably a real pain in the ass! The idea that Fox would bend over backward to facilitate a dinky pinball deal that will net them far less than they make on action figures (which probably require 1/50 the amount of interaction and review) is far-fetched. It certainly seems plausible to me that Fox told Heighway no more piecemeal approvals will be forthcoming.

This is the sad road we've seen happen with many delayed pinball projects. With lack of new info, the echo chamber really fires up.

It doesn't really matter "why" things aren't shown at this point, the game is delayed. We'll see it when we see it.

4 weeks later
#6525 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

So Signouney says she had to sign off on Heighway and GB. Bill Paxton said he didn't know about it.

Wasn't the concern Sigourney wouldn't be "in" the game, so now we've been told by her she is, correct?

I take nothing from Paxton not knowing. His contract with fox might be totally different and they very well may be able to sell his likeness without his signing off on it.

1 week later
#6643 2 years ago

I would personally like the option of paying in pounds sterling as a direct customer. As a Canadian, I'm already having to switch from Canadian dollars to US$, and paying exchange on that. So I'm getting double hit.

In the past, when I compared Heighway's US$ to UKP (minus VAT), the price was pretty close. So he does seem to try and match, but with the extreme volatility going on, I don't expect him to revise pricing every day so why not just let us buy in pounds (for those of us who want to do that).

1 week later
#6706 2 years ago

Isn't that one of the goals with the design? To have 2 distinctive experiences depending on which movie you are in?

2 weeks later
#6810 2 years ago

You gotta go with 27". On Full Throttle it cycles through some attract images. The reality is they can put whatever they want on it. No reason why traditional backglass imagery can't be part of the attract slide show.

2 weeks later
#6982 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

If not, will mirror blades work in heighway pinball games?

With a modular game system, mirror blades seems the way to go. They'd immediately work with any game you pop in. Side art would need to be pulled out... not a solution.

#6989 2 years ago

Mine is crystal clear. Not on route by I've had mine a year now.

1 week later
#7113 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

hat's with the "NO PHOTOS OR VIDEO TAPING WILL BE ALLOWED" warning on that PDF?

That seems to be the warning for the Stern factory tour, which is normal. Or is that stated somewhere else on the schedule?

#7118 1 year ago

We've already been through this once before when the Alien playfield art hit Pinside as a crappy cell phone photo first.

Andrew, please have a strategy in place to have a staffer press "Send post" the MOMENT you start talking at Expo, and post online all the media/images/video you want, so you can control the message.

Pinside averages 5000 people per day, many times however many people you will have in the room at Expo. Pinside I would say is far more important that the actual physical Expo show, so I would not treat it as an afterthought, after you spend many thousands of dollars bringing the game and staff to Expo.

As a "pinside guy", I'm one of the people that will be sitting online waiting for the news on the new game, so I know exactly how this can play out. Please be proactive and plan to have someone post whatever it is you need to Pinside immediately (9:30pm local time) that day.

#7119 1 year ago

Now that I think about it, Pinball News did basically what I'm talking about with Full Throttle, except there was no show happening then. Maybe you can work again with them and have them ready to post it at 9:30 PM.

3 weeks later
#7427 1 year ago

Heighway's model was always "get pinball back on location". I don't see raising the prices because Stern did helping operators buy machines.

If Pinside and home collectors can sustain the ENTIRE PINBALL INDUSTRY then Heighway could/should raise his prices for that easy money.

Something tells me, for long term business interest, that would not be the way to go.

#7429 1 year ago

Well, I'm not saying they won't, but I would suggest it is contrary to putting pinball back on location and selling machines outside of Pinside and pinball shows. I know that is the "easy money", but that pie is real small and getting sliced up more every day.

#7431 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Is it? JJP's whole schtik was JJ is an operator and wants to operate games.
Gary keeps telling us you need operated machines to make a living, & people are making videos for the right to buy their machines as we speak.

I am surprised at the sustained feeding frenzy. I can only speak of my personal situation, that I've had good business success these last years, which allows my indulgence in pinball. I didn't think there were that many of me out there, but if there are enough of us to sustain the entire pinball industry, have at it I guess.

#7450 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Ah crud! I just noticed that Andrew is no longer on the Speakers page (he was until recently)

Bummer! I was concerned this show was too close to Alien reveal, which is probably the most important moment of their company, so much rides on Alien. I'm sorry Andrew won't be coming apparently.

1 week later
#7576 1 year ago

My advice for Heighway would be to put their promo video online as soon as it is green lit. Let people get "hands on" Alien for the first time at expo, but don't hold back the reveal till then. There is going to be a super amount of competition at expo this year, with both Batman and JJP3 being revealed there. If we can see and discuss Alien for an entire week or more before expo from footage, I think that will be very beneficial.

#7581 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think the approvals stuff being done will take the form of a promo. It's an exhaustive process of documentation. I think they'll want to wait a little longer on a couple of parts and revisions for some kind of final, production promo video.

Once the "game" is approved, they don't have to keep submitting every video they make of it, do they? If the game is signed off on, isn't it out in the open? The game will show up at expo (hopefully) and there will be tons of videos made of it there, so I'm hoping they can jump the gun on those videos.

#7584 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So it's been approved?! If so this is exciting news!!

I think we're still waiting. Down to the wire now.

#7588 1 year ago

It is what it is, I guess.

I wish Andrew and his team the best.

#7629 1 year ago

As a Full Throttle owner, I've had the small dmd size lcd first, before it was replaced with the 27". The 27" is just a superior experience and it made the entire machine look next generation. I can't be bothered or consider how the game looks dark.

#7679 1 year ago

If I recall, didn't DP "break the rules" with their reveal? I thought that was one of the issues with the licensor, before Phil left and Roger came in.

1 week later
#7855 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

With that side art being lit, from inside, is this art work panel held in securely? Could some one kick out, or pry out that panel to access the coin box area?

There's a solid ply on the inside of the cabinet, then the plexiglass is sandwiched between it and the outer window. I suspect if the window was larger, the plexi could be removed easily by a vandal, plus the lights need to go somewhere.

Dunno, overall in my lineup of pins, there is only 1 cabinet side that anyone notices, and it is Full Throttle. So it is effective.

frolic-mirror-blades (resized).jpg

#8198 1 year ago

That's a money shot if there ever was one.

2 weeks later
#8900 1 year ago

Hello new user that has to make the same point 3 posts in a row. I think we get it, you're not a fan of storing playfields under the machine. But that horse has left the barn, that is what the Heighway system is.

Ok, you can continue repeating yourself now.

#8973 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Issue is that a fully decked out LE, with two extra pf kits and a couple of optional extras will run to $20k ... it's not really a value option for most people put off by the new, insane pricing of NIB pinball. I think a lot of people were hoping that final pricing wouldn't be so high and that pf kits would come down in price a little.

Also, for operators, who this is mainly meant to appeal to, most are probably going to be able to buy 4 Stern Pros plus some left over change for the same figure. Or they could get a DI Standard and a Stern Pro for the same money as an Alien LE and FT kit .. or less than, if the FT kit comes with fibre optics. I think I know which option will offer a better return.

You're comparing "fully decked out LEs" with Standard and Pro models.

So, either compare LEs against LEs and SLEs, or Standards against Standards and Pros.

A stock Alien or FT is priced below Stern Premium. We're waiting to see what the Aerosmith Pro pricing with LCD will be, but will probably be near a stock Alien.

You can debate value, but keep it Apples vs Apples.

1 week later
#9263 1 year ago

VAT isn't charged for outside UK.

For Canada, I had my Full Throttle shipped air freight direct. The freight company did the brokerage for me, for a nominal fee, and they collected the 13% HST that we pay here. Not double taxed.

1 week later
#9308 1 year ago

We're talking about a potential software option here. The game can be full-on R-rated from factory, but to not even put in some sort of option to blacken the screen during the gore you're giving up on the sales to everyone that doesn't particularly want to show gore to their children or put it on location in anything outside of a bar.

#9354 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I find mentions in pinball forums of people saying that, but no actual real world reporting of that actually happening.

Straight from Roger Sharpe himself:

http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/

1 month later
#9662 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

^^^^how did someone beat you too the post?? Lol.
Looks awesome keep up the good work!

Ha, Pinside is Ground Zero for pinball. You basically have to post here FIRST, then post everywhere else. It's going to end up here, and apparently very fast .

#9722 1 year ago

I liked the idea of the playfield screen, but the big 27" really sucks up all the oxygen. The other thing to consider is with playfield swaps, including that small LCD in the playfield of every game adds to the costs when the game could just share the big LCD across all titles.

It is what it is at this point, but I think the more inexpensive the playfield swaps, the more weight the entire concept has. It's possible without including the playfield lcd with every game you could get to under $4k US for a playfield, and that would be pretty attractive.

#9780 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I was gonna mention the bezel too. Frolic says he got use to it but initial thoughts without seeing it in person was are not positive

I don't understand the amount of bellyaching I see online about the bezel. To me it is a complete non-issue. Yeah, my 1 Heighway game looks different than my other games, but I hardly see this as some sort of negative. It just is. It's a game designed in the UK. It looks different.

2 weeks later
#9991 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

It was originally supposed to ship in April 2015, not that any of us really believed Andrew on that one. I would consider that almost 2 years at this point. Would saying 21 months late make you feel better?

Much was said and discussed about Andrew's very aggressive April 2015 release date, when he announced it at Expo October 2014.

He doubled down on it many times when questioned about it. When Alien is out the door and this is all behind us, I'd love if we could get a run down of what all happened between October 2014 and "X" 2017 when it finally made it out. That would be a good podcast interview for someone.

#10118 1 year ago

The show started today, no one went? Wonder what is at the booth.

#10153 1 year ago

The big LCD is the back seems to have different (more) information than the LCD on the playfield, it is not just a mirror.

#10159 1 year ago
Quoted from wontwa:

it is odd, though, as that information to the right doesn't seem to be appearing anywhere else?

That info on the right didn't appear there by accident, it was put there. The only way it is different from playfield is because there are 2 different feeds.

#10185 1 year ago

I think we forgot what "old school" beacons looked like.

pdvd_112.3 (resized).jpeg

#10217 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I'll just ask it then before someone else does...
Do they have to replace all three LCD's with CRT's to be consistent with the film too?

The Batman topper is simulated beacon with LEDs and I haven't heard anyone say it was anything less than awesome. No one complaining that it doesn't look "60s".

#10273 1 year ago

It seems like the beacons would be the easiest thing to mod if someone cared to. Time to get these games out the door.

#10385 1 year ago

Full Throttle will always be hamstrung by "themes sell games". I'm willing to bet Heighway pre-sold more Aliens from his initial announcement (and no game shown) than the entire run of Full Throttle, but as an owner I'll agree that it is a very respectable first effort, and more importantly as an early customer has run reliably.

#10387 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

these days people need a commercial tie in for some reason... themes from the past: Mice, Rafting, Magic, Knights, Rollercoasters, Tornadoes...
Motorcycle racing seems mainstream in that light.

Well, yeah, it goes back to how everyone says they want unlicensed games like the good old days, but then you give them one and they say "meh".

1 week later
#10628 1 year ago

Our latest YouTube video was shot today from our production line.
The gameplay video is still in the pipeline, and will be released soon.
» YouTube video

Looks great. Glad to see things are very close to the finish line.

1 week later
#10978 1 year ago

Not me this time. I'll be getting a kit when they become available to swap in my full throttle cabinet.

3 weeks later
#11662 1 year ago

Yeah I agree, you want to encourage people to keep trying, not kick 'em in the junk.

And from a philosophy standpoint, the whole point of the Heighway system was for more location pinball. Then you have to assume you are dealing with a whole generation of people that don't play pinball.

#11671 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

We are really asking for options on how we are told a mode/game has ended? I missed the point in time when pinheads developed feelings...

Is the game being marketed to hardcore pinheads, or something bigger?

I'm sure Andrew's business plan calls for more than just Pinside sales even if that's where the early adopters are and low hanging fruit. That's all I'm getting at.

#11851 1 year ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Yes, I've wondered this too. A better way to ask this question is...
Is the plastic covering the entire playfield made a material that will not get cloudy or scratched up when the ball races over it for a few years. I'm sure the team has thought about this. I'm glad there is a clear plastic over the entire playfield but I'm a little worried about how it will look after its gets played a lot. The monitor area will need to stay looking nice since looking through the protector is needed in this spot. Can it be waxed ? Should it not be waxed? How should it be cared for?

My Full Throttle seems fine so far. The plastic piece also seems like it could be popped out and replaced. I've never waxed it. That's all I can tell you.

Edit: I'm referring to the plastic overlay of the LCD playfield screen.

#12081 1 year ago

Can't get excited about Alien movies any more. I understand they make money, so they'll keep coming, but they don't seem able to come close to the earlier achievements.

It was exciting that a real sequel to Aliens was considered and bringing back Hicks with Ripley, but that idea was shitcanned, and all the other ideas they have are garbage.

#12125 1 year ago

I'm looking forward to the day there are lots of kits floating around that can be bought/sold/traded. Swapping games by putting it into the trunk of your car and not needing a van, no lugging 300 pounds down a flight of stairs, no throwing your back out dead lifting a pin to put the legs on, no need to recruit your buddies to help, you can easily ship a playfield kit through just about any shipper, etc.

#12142 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

For route, the reality is that games need to go home for full shop out ocassionally. Also, games tend to drop off in play over time. You can rotate them among locations, or you can take them home to shop and then return them at a later date and see coin drop go back up. As a hobby operator, it is sweet to pull just a pf home to clean up and then leave stored under a personal game for a few months till it heads back on route.

Considering keeping games "fresh" on location is one of the biggest ways to boost revenue, anything that makes it easier to rotate titles seems like a guaranteed money maker. Without the backbreaking effort to rotate a game, you can rotate them between locations much more often.

#12143 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I would never buy a kit, but I sure would like to have the games.

It's not like the games are only sold in kit form. And obviously the LE versions are made more custom for each title, powder coat for the theme, etc, for the people that want the dedicated version and don't want to swap them. Seems like a win win to me.

#12244 1 year ago
Quoted from NeedMorePins:

Any hints about upcoming themes or timetable for future releases?

I don't think Andrew will be doing that again. No more announcing anything other than games ready to deliver, I'm hoping.

2 weeks later
#12643 1 year ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

The "you're playing AS Ripley" angle is still pretty weak.

Seems like they tried their best, then did the best with what they had to work with. In the end, this game just has to get out the door.

#12813 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

And in most pinball machines, jackpot is aways red.

Also, green on pretty much every pinball I've ever played is a multiball lock. I've used color scanning for green as a way for me to figure out the multiball on any unfamiliar game I play.

#12819 1 year ago

I'll just say this cpu thing was mishandled. The ONLY people that can buy a kit are existing Full Throttle owners. Heighway knows who those people are, it should have just been a simple "if you're below serial #xxx a cpu upgrade will be included in your kit".

The horse is out of the barn at this point, the nominal fee is out there, I just think it could have been handled differently.

#12828 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Serious question, were we told specifically that all hardware would be future compatible? I just dont remember it like that.

If the only thing "modular" about the system was the wood cabinet, that would be silly.

Obviously hardware will change in time, but I think anyone would expect game #1 could run game #2.

#12829 1 year ago

Like, I totally get that they wanted to do more with Alien than show pre-rendered videos. The vision for the entire system changed. I'm guessing that means the cost of Alien also went up from what they originally forecasted it to be.

This entire conversation wouldn't be happening if the kit was all inclusive and kept simple and whatever was going on behind the scenes didn't affect the end customer.

#12841 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I just look at it like this, Full Throttle is 2 years old, in technology terms two years of computer technology improvements is incredibly drastic.

Not a bad way to look at it, I thought the same thing. I figured if the first generation system supported 4-6 games, that was decent. Heighway was saying 3 games per year. I fully planned on buying more cabinets if I went beyond 4 titles.

But all that is moot, since we're talking about game #2 here.