DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24390 4 years ago

Well, got my alien yesterday. It is in the garage for the moment. Had an interesting time looking at it though. We fired it up, fan was making a lot of noise that I will have to look into. Try and play a ball and first thing I do is put it in the saucer on the left. Game doesn't register it and won't kick it out. Game wasn't registering a lot of things and numerous coils were out. Look it over, reboot it, works fine. Anyone run into that before?

Need to get the plastic that covers the back of the playfield, mine has a break. Also need a new magnet core as this one is worn. Any parts I should try and stock up on? Need to figure out how to convert this to work above .94 code. I know the lightboards. I need to check the io boards. This game is full throttle number 100. Not sure how many aliens got out without an alien serial.

#24392 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Is it a NIB or did you buy it second hand?
Just curious. I had a second hand SE, the guy who was previous owner did a hack job, took a lot of my time to clean things up.

Third owner.

#24395 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Congrats on getting an Alien Dung. You will most certainly want to follow this thread, as they document the process of bringing a pre-production game such as yours up to the specs needed to run new code. BTW - it's not a simple change, and will require many new parts.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

Just FYI - at TPF in 2017, I purchased a pre-production Alien with Full Throttle serial number 108. I documented my entire almost 2 year saga with Heighway and Cointaker trying to get updated parts/machine. Cointaker did come through for me, and I did finally get a replacement, true production machine at TPF 2018. http://www.bradberryman.com/Pinball_Alien_2018.html

Thanks for the info. Guess mine is a bit earlier. It does at least have the xeno, although I am told the tongue does not always retract. I remember that thread and had been looking for it.

I guess I need to go home and start looking to see just how bad the bill will be to upgrade everything. Looks like the most difficult will be upgrading the xeno head unless I want to shell out 400 bucks for a new one.

#24396 4 years ago

Alright, game is setup. Let the headaches begin.

It is running version .94.
I have at least 10 leds out. At least 4 switches. I can start investigating those at some point.

Now the fun stuff.
It is on free play, but requires credits to play, guessing upgrading the code should fix that?
The game freezes on the skillshot quite often and requires rebooting.
The main display is showing the small display on the right side. This just started and doesn't do it every time you turn it on.
The xenomorph locks its jaw open while booting. I disabled it in software so after booting it stops where as before it just made a horrible noise the whole time.

It has red io boards 1.4b assuming these have to be upgraded. That is a cool 1k :/
It has the old computer so I will order a new one 240 there.
The xeno has a metal gear for the jaw which surprised me. Have not seen the stepper motor yet guessing it is the old style?
Need the back right plastic.
Need the leds replaced to the new style.

Hopefully I can get it to play correctly before I make the call on upgrading it. Do like the theme integration so far, but with so many switches out and it freezing 50 percent of the time its not much fun.

#24402 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I sure hope the previous owner told you about these issues. If not, out them. I would love,to have an Alien someday....

Freeplay was fixed by a software reset.

I have all switches working except 4. One is the right ramp and it seems like i need to replace it and adjust the armature (does not always work when depressed by hand). The drop targets register in test, but not in game. They register as active when up instead of down, which is weird? APC lights do not come on, ever, no sounds in game. I will have to test the apc lights in test to see if they work but I wasn't paying attention when I was doing it earlier.

The display issue was that the power for the airlock lcd comes from a usb hub under the playfield (really terrible design). I reset the connections and that is fixed.

The leds are a bigger problem. The center pcb for the game has one spot target soldered directly to it. Several of the lights in the game (mostly around the side ramp) flash white and pink when they shouldn't. The rollover lanes do as well. This happens in test, attract, and in game. Something is off and wondering if the boards has issues.

I will fix it and I am in it for the right amount to be happy, but I have an inkling that had I been in less of a hurry some of this would have been pretty apparent when I picked it up. When we first tried it switches and coils were out. After that I was tossing the ball around to see if it was working and said good enough since I had 10 hours driving ahead of me. Oh well.

#24404 4 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

0.94 was a special release of code made for some games which had drop target boards with inverted switch logic. AFAIK very few games had these. It sounds like your game has the "correct" hardware that will work with newer code, so this is actually good.

Anyway to get hold of the .96 code to test this theory? I know 1.2 is out there, but would be nice to update and test this for now.

#24406 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Don't worry too much about those reverse drops, they're almost surely wired correctly and will work fine with new code. At least that was our experience. You may end up needing a center PCB, but it's probably worth inspecting it for defects on the traces and connections first. It could just be repairable, sounds like the IO lines aren't quite correct that controls the LED colors. As ferret said, you likely will be fine with those IO boards, hold off. I had to replace the one in the center PCB with a newer IO board, but the red ones were fine in the other 3 positions. Upgrade the USB cables if you have ones without ferrite cores too, cheap cables can cause weird IO issues. The Xeno is your biggest issue yet smallest effect on game play. You have the one board or two board design? (Look behind the back of the playfield). You'll need the newer motor/server Xeno head and the two board design if you want to make it work. That'll mean flashing code and making some delicate wiring harnesses too. Leave the Xeno for last, the rest will be easier.

I have a one board design. Making a wiring harness is not a big issue for me. I will look to see how many/what length usb are needed and ordered replacements. Xeno will be an expensive upgrade as ordering a whole new one is 400+. I might see about a new mount for the motor.

#24411 4 years ago

I will probably just do a bulk order on everything at once. I think I have all the parts bookmarked now.

Game is sorta better. all switches save drops are working. On starting a ball half the time the game senses a switch going off and then autolaunches the ball. I put it in edge test and pounded the crap out of it for five minutes, but nothing is going off.

I have 5 spot targets and two inserts (C in apc and the right inlane) that are not lighting. I have lights on the center pcb and upper pcb that are showing the wrong colors at times.

Next step will be ordering new usb cables. I just need to figure out what lengths to order first.

#24413 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Order ones long enough to go all the way to the back of the bottom cabinet for each IO board, you'll eliminate the USB hub when you upgrade the computer, as the newer computer has more USB ports.

That alone seems like a good enough reason to get rid of the computer. That hub was a serious wtf when I saw it.

#24415 4 years ago

Was going to do amazon basics, figured they would be fine. How many are there? 5? Not at the game atm, but figured I could order today.

2 weeks later
#24462 4 years ago

Does anyone know if a stern or williams part will work for the magnet core? Mine is a bit beat up.

#24469 4 years ago

Alright, still working on getting my game updated. I have all the parts save the display cables, the leds (waiting on timebandit to get back from vacation) and the wiring harnesses for the alien head.

Does anyone have pictures of the wiring harnesses for the dual board xeno head setup?

What connector does the airlock screen use? I know the backbox and playfield are dvi to dvi, but not sure if that is the same for the airlock?

#24471 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

He pokes his head up here on Pinside from time to time. He's ealadubhsidhe.

Airlock LCD has an HDMI input if memory serves.

Thought so. Think I saw a picture where someone had to shave the cable down to fit, but cannot find it.

#24473 4 years ago

Also, does anyone know where to get the chip for the stepper motor pcb? Digging through pics in other threads I realized I am missing the chip, but have not seen a source?

Stepper PCB (resized).pngStepper PCB (resized).png
#24482 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

[quoted image]

Thank you for this!

Stepper PCB (resized).pngStepper PCB (resized).png
#24519 4 years ago

Has anyone heard from TimeBandit? I sent a question to him over a week ago asking about getting a 64 pack of leds, but not a word back.

#24540 4 years ago

Upgraded my computer tonight, spent a bunch of time on cleaning up the cabling.

My drop target board is inverted. Does anyone know how to change it or where to source a new board from?

Board appears to be a copy of the williams system 11 drop target board. I can invert the outputs by running a bunch of jumper wires and cutting traces, but would be better if i could find a chip that would do it instead.

#24573 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Of course, but please remember Daves Sanders statement - there are only ~200 ALIEN machines at all, LE's included.
And this pinball is really a beauty and rare too, but not for every price.

Don't really get the le obsession on this title. Artwork for the cab and backglass and a different powdercoat? Seems a but moot.

#24589 4 years ago
Quoted from gold1:

Have you actually played the game? I personally do not buy pinballs for the artwork.It is all about the rule set and how a game plays.If I had a machine that was painted by Rembrant and played like a broken guitar I would lose interest pretty quickly.

Uh, might check my collection...

#24594 4 years ago
Quoted from gold1:

Are you checking your collection for.......pinballs with great artwork that play crap?Or ....for a pinball that plays great with not so great artwork?

You asked if I've played a game I own. Rub more than two brain cells together before typing a reply next time.

#24607 4 years ago

The troll aside...

For anyone with the older style inverted logic drop target board Freeplay has a couple full drop target assemblies. Bit pricey at 130 shipped, but after recieving pics it is very obvious that it is not using a williams/bally drop target board like mine is. Have not found another source for that board and wondering if once they sell out anyone else needing it to upgrade will have to design their own?

#24609 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I’ve never had hands on the original problematic drop target board. But the way it was explained to me is there is something reversed. So the game is constantly trying to put the drop targets into a state they are unknowingly already in, and get stuck in a loop.
I would *think* this could be hacked to work.

So, I spent some time on this. The problem is this. The game see's the drops as down when they should be up. At the start of a ball the game fires the drop target coil raising the drops. With the inverted board the switches are marked as active ie down. The game does not recognize this, probably the loop you are referring to.

So, if you pull the board off the drop target assembly, and then start a game you can break the opto's line and trigger the drops correctly.

Digging further a friend and I spent an evening searching google for schematics of the chip and tried to find one that would do the inverse, did not find it. Reading around the net we read that you can switch the inputs (ie cut the traces and run jumpers so that the inputs are opposite) and I tested it on one opto, but it just fails to work now.

Had I not found a source for the correct board my next step was to talk to Ed at great plains or possibly someone who makes an aftermarket version of the bally style board that was in my game. My guess is they would know how to invert their product.

#24614 4 years ago
Quoted from Cigaretteman:

I have played the 2 other games a lot so I don’t have to unpack this to get the pleasure of playing it. It is one of those things where to much work and to little time to play is a factor.
I for one is hoping it will get remade right. I would love to see JJP redo this. To much work went in to this game by a dedicated team and it would be a shame if it stopped with just 200 games. I want to see many more people being able to enjoy it.

Eh, I am mixed. Part of me wants them to move on to the next thing rather than revisit the past. Part of why I don't get the hype over Chicago Coin's remakes at this point.

#24618 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This game is part of the future, it was just mismanaged. I would buy a new Alien in a heartbeat.

Disagree, but I collect all sorts of odd ball games. Mystery Castle for example is a stellar game hobbled by a company that was dying as it was built. Pistol Poker even more so as the playfield design was excellent, but the code is so bare bones its kinda moot.

Alien is a great game. I do wish it had gotten more code, but for the time a company could spend to remake it, they could design something new. I'd rather see what that something new was.

#24631 4 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

I finally upgraded my Zotac for my Alien LE
I was having issues with the IO Boards Losing connectivity no matter how many different cables and USB Hubs I tried.
Game plays flawlessly with the New computer.
I suggest any other Zotac Users Invest in the Upgraded Computer from Freeplay, it really made a difference for me.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Jealous of all the plastic covering. Mine has none of it

#24635 4 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

well... we're waiting dung!

Waiting for what? To hear that a game that got a production of 200 isn't as fully fleshed out as Houdini? Any JJP? Some stern's depending if they sold well or if stern just dropped the ball (ghostbusters). The game is fun, its got some legs, but if it had been in prod longer the code would be deeper. Think early hobbit vs 3.0.

#24646 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Nope, the problems with the company had nothing to do with the code status. The overall code experience in the 1.2 software is pretty much exactly what was designed for this game. Reaching the mini-wizard modes (Self Destruct and Loader Battle) is attainable, though not a gimme, for many players. Doing so with high shot values (i.e. having won several scenes along the way) is harder. Getting to All Out War is pretty tough for anyone. Along the way, there are plenty of stacking opportunities to try to blow up your score. (Combat Drop + Rescue + Hypersleep MB + Sentry Guns MB + 2X Playfield is a pretty good stack.) Using weapons well is a bit of icing on the cake for advanced players.
The point of Alien wasn't to throw everything and the kitchen sink into a game, it was to create a game that took players into the Alien/Aliens universe with strong theme integration and fun modes and multiballs. Obviously I'm biased, but I think the team achieved that wonderfully. Is the game missing some "gotta have it!" scene from the movies that would've translated into an amazing mode or multiball? I dunno, possibly, but I can't recall any of our team (most of whom are very devoted Alien(s) fanatics) saying "I can't believe the game doesn't have <blah>!". And adding dubious tie-ins to the game just to say we have 12 modes instead of 10, or 8 multiballs instead of 7, or 4 wizard modes instead of 3, seems worse than pointless: I think it would stand out like a sore thumb if some features had crappy links to the movies.
If you can reach All Out War every game: congratulations, you're a far better player than most, and it might be time to pass your Alien on to someone else. For everyone else, I'm completely satisfied with the experience we provided, and the balance of easier and harder features and goals.

Again, ifs a good game, but its not perfected. Shaker implementation, beacon implementation, usage of the airlock lcd. We are going to have to just disagree on this. It is however an effort to be proud of and should hold up over timr vs a lot of titles

#24658 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

If your CPU is really dead, here is a one replacement but that’s for the last Aliens produced.
https://www.free-play.se/en/game-specific-parts/heighway-pinball/alien/alien-game-computer.html

I have the zotac from the earlier ones sitting around that I'd sell. It has .94 installed on it right now.

3 weeks later
#24757 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

So this piece is 23 inches long most scanners are only 17 inches long. I might’ve found somebody with a 24 inch scanner but he hasn’t contacted me yet. At this point is it even worth it if the game is going to be remade and hopefully plastics be available? Any validity in that? anybody really think it’s gonna happen?

Doubtful, the rumor was that it was going to be announced awhile ago, and then no announcement.

#24803 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I already have the money; I also previously prepaid a deposit. Didn’t get my agreed number 149. I will not pay an inflated price, so I’m now out until a new, more reliable version is (possibly) remade. If this doesn’t happen, I won’t own an Alien, and won’t lose any sleep.
It is a fun pin though, so I’m happy those who have one are fortunate to be able to enjoy the game.

Then its not for you. Stop asking if unfounded rumors are suddenly true so you can land a cheaper game.

#24822 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Am I the only one thinking.. There is a company selling Alien playfields.. hmm... Cabinet over there, a P-roc.. here..

Cost would be prohibitively expensive. Wiring would be a nightmare. At this point i dont think you could get all the parts. A few months ago, maybe.

#24824 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Why would wiring be a nightmare? If using a programmable stand alone unit the wiring can be anything you want it to be. You could discard all heighweigh pcb, etc. I'm not suggesting trying to clone an Alien pin from scratch down to the same detail as the original.
Hah. An Alien pinball playfield in a Space Invaders cabinet, that would be cool.

Because then you have to reprogram the game from scratch? At that point its not really an alien anymore.

#24826 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Other games have been reprogrammed from scratch, there really isn't anything from preventing someone from doing the same here. The biggest issue I see would be some of the mechs in the ball snatcher Alien head.
Idle thoughts of course, but in the realm of possible by a talented individual.

As a software dev, the amount of work for just programming the game from scratch is no small feat. You also won't perfectly replicate it. There will be some differences regardless due to timing on the different hardware. Chicago coin remakes are emulating the original hardware and unlike arcade emulation pinball isn't as specific to its output. So no, this is a very easy armchair exercise to think about but the reality is, no one is going to do it.

#24907 4 years ago

Interested in the speaker holders as well, but guess I have to wait and see.

#24914 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys my Xeno tongue magnet fell off and I hot glued it three times and it’s still fallling
Off any other advice ?
Ok I bent it too much now from trying and it’s all deformed does anyone know where I czn get replacement ?
So now Im down to only three problems! 1) the magnet fell off from tongue 2) the airlock can't get two balls out when they are in there, it just keeps trying and trying then gives up 3) the flickering eggs, I think you guys are right its that G1 light that flickers, Ill have my tech look at it.
But man, I changed the balls to new ones, and polished the playfield a bit, what a worlds of difference! I can make every shot now and its like smooth! The new balls are heavier then the ones that came w/ the machine too. I think that has helped a lot.

I have my old head I was going to sell if you cannot find any other source. Not gonna part it out unless someone else wants the shell for a custom paint job.

Also, what kind of plugs do the boards on these use? Need to order some for my new jaw/tongue pcb as well as the new drop target.

1 week later
#25024 4 years ago

Is anyone sitting on some spare leds boards? I keep waiting for them to be remade, but so far nothing. Would like to finish converting my game and play it.

2 weeks later
#25223 4 years ago

Got my leds in. Now I just need to know what kind of plugs this game uses? The small little molex ones?

#25264 4 years ago

Got my speaker panel holders in. Looking forward to installing them.

2 weeks later
#25357 4 years ago

Keep us posted, would be interested in this.

1 week later
#25382 4 years ago

Those look awesome.

#25389 4 years ago
Quoted from budroosker:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-away-from-her-you-bitch-alien-club-all-members-expendable#post-3812255
I like these because they are belt driven (absolutely silent, if I am sending you the correct link! )
ebay.com link » Emergency Light Rotator Warning Light Strobe Light For Factory Workshop Lte 1101
Yellow /12v DC)
I wouldn't say simple. Simpler if you go loose wire/magnet route. I drilled the metal like Libtech

Can anyone confirm these are the belt driven? I want to replace my gear driven as they are loud as all get out.

#25393 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Trade off is the belts perish in time.

In which case I have a bunch of the noisy gear ones on hand.

#25396 4 years ago

Ouch, actually feel bad for that one man.

#25400 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Thanks certainly wasn’t my finest hour, And of course I was trying to get it dialed in to make sure it’s great for the other buyer LOL..I Offered to one of my potential buyers to reflect the price 500 bucks off but Just curious if you can just throw an alternate LED/LCD in it? Has anybody tried that?

So, there is no reason you couldn't. The trick would be to fit the new screen inside the existing mount. Given the cost of the game I am pretty sure I'd just stick with the oem and eat the cost. Upgrading to the later prod spec was about a grand tho not sure if your io boards are 1.4 or not which would add another 500 last i looked. This is assuming everything is available. Took me months to get everything so no idea on the current parts supply. In any case whoever gets your game is going to be dropping a lot of funds.

#25408 4 years ago

I think I am only going to do the lower 2. Besides at 82 shipped for the pair these are not exactly cheap for a pair of lights. Don't wanna put them somewhere your average ball will hit.

#25426 4 years ago
Quoted from Franking1302:

1:12 has 10 LED for make a real effect[quoted image]

I wonder if the 1:12th would look right? I don't think they would work on the upper, but on the lower ramp plastics maybe?

2 weeks later
#25516 4 years ago

I would be in for that. Terrible design, but it looks cool in game.

1 week later
#25544 4 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Don’t be a hater. I bought a pinball machine and traded it. Lol. Not really a profit...

Eh, if it was the same deal you were trying to sell me on there was profit. Good for you, but as i thought tbl's are trickling out again. Good time for you to get out.

#25556 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

First - I will take a Backpanel.
Come on guys, don't waste your time, this will be the last chance to get the Space Jockey in a perfect condition.
And consider about the fact that the Plexi will break and the artwork will peel off sooner or later.

Maybe but at that point people will ve looking for other options again. At 171 usd for a single plastic this one jumped the shark for me.

#25566 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

This is a Pinball for experts and enthusiasts.
It's not a toy... it's a calling.
Once possesed by the game... you are lost.
Only the weirdest Pinheads will understand.

Yeah. sorry but we lost each other. I am not some diaper wiper who thinks everything has to be perfect. things break and being someone who collects the rare and obscure, so what?

This is a toy. A big, expensive, toy. It is nothing more. It is not an art piece. It is not a museum piece. It was an amusement device intended for kids to beat the snot out of. The only thing we can agree on is that only the weirdest pinheads will understand you.

#25571 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Didnt you have some sob story about needing money, for family lol. Some people..

No, vivd did not do that. We disagreed on value but he was up front the entire time. No harm in him wanting for his game and there was no sob story.

#25575 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Wrong. He was selling his vette and TBL for family. Now he has an Alien and probably a C8 on order.

Well til. In any case I did not pay up because of the chance TBL would hit production again. I was right and while time will tell how many more get made it certainly wasn't the 10 percent chance I was incentivized with.

#25584 4 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I’d say your chances are well below 10%. It’s one guy making machines one at a time. He still owes what? 150 people games and then needs to sell 500 to make up the money. He is producing about 2-3 a month. So given that timeline, you might have the opportunity to buy one in about 3-5 years assuming he doesn’t close up shop. But who knows what time will hold for him. Personally I hope he makes em all. I hope you get one too. He is just behind the 8 ball big time. Gonna need an angel investor I think.
The price was due to demand vs availability. People can wait and hope and maybe get one. Others can get one now. Also the whole, does a NIB game work? Or do ones that have been opened and you know works properly make you feel more comfortable. Different strokes. Pinball is an interesting hobby in that sense. There are those with 0 patience and those with tons of it. How they mix in this hobby is wild, stern definitely found a way to maximize those LE buyers.

You said less than 10 percent that anymore get made. More are being made period. Don't bother trying to talk your way around it. Don't care if production is slow. It doesn't matter because end of the story is more are being made which you said would not happen. It is why I balked at your price and frankly I was right. If you ended up taking less it seems I was not the only one who thought 18k was ludicrous.

#25597 4 years ago

-edit- going to be nice and just let it drop.

On topic: Still don't know the name of the style plug that goes into the replacement jaw and tongue control boards.

#25609 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballoo:

Hi AdreXis,
you can get some at free-play.se

Problem is the replacements will break very easily too. I had a spare set get ruined by forgetting they were in the cabinet and placing something ontop of them. Long term would do us well for someone to make a mold of them.

1 week later
#25648 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stay tuned. Soon.

Oh god, not this song and dance again. I had a buddy call me a week before expo saying that it was going to be announced. That their source had already put in a pre-order. Expo came and went and again no announcement. Either put up some evidence or shut it because the horse is not only dead, its corpse so damn decade there is nothing left to hit.

#25652 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Keeping my Green le but getting another one for different location
“Shut it” Dung? I don’t give a flying F what you think. The evidence will be the game and then you can stfu.
Omg people need to stop talking about TBL Dunger, oh yeah nvm, that happened before this didn’t it

The game that has been just around the corner for months on end? So confident you just bought one? Makes total sense when the new one would have been cheaper.

Start drinking your own Kool aid. Till then keep on topic or start your own thread.

#25660 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Okay, if you're willing to make a bet, specifically when will the remake be available?
If you can't provide an actual date, then you will never lose the bet.

Thing is he wont put a date on it. Its gotta br somrwhat nebulous so he can wiggle out. Anyone want to dig up the kaneda thread?

Anyone got a drink around here? Too bored with this inane bs to deal with reading anymore of it sober.

1 week later
#25723 4 years ago

The never ending speculation is why digging through threads for actual information sucks on here. Go make a thread if you want to talk about this promised remake and keep it out of here.

3 weeks later
#25790 4 years ago

Had the game in attract mode tonight a d the damn mobo died. Mobo does not power on ay all when plugged in. Power bricks indicator light goes off when you plug in the mobo so guessing the comp shorted.

#25795 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

could be the wire running to the MoBo (motherboard?)..only 12v and pretty wimpy

Nope dead, ordering a replacement

1 week later
#25822 4 years ago

Got the replacement motherboard. Have not tested it yet. I think the problem was the psu I used. Can anyone send a pic of their psu? I know it is 12v, but how many amps and what size plug is what I am trying ot narrow down.

#25824 4 years ago

That is not the power supply I am talking about. I am talking about the one that powers the computer in the bottom of the cabinet. Unless you mean to tell me they run the computer off that with newer style computer? The old style computer had a seperate power brick like a laptop.

2 weeks later
#25863 4 years ago
Quoted from chrishoyle99:

apologies for this VERY late post - but does anyone have a spare set of the acrylic speaker panels produced a few months ago on a limited run - happy to pay a premium - I was working away and have completely missed this high quality item. if anyone had bought a second set or has a private stock of +1 , I am happy to make you some xmas $$$$ or Euros .
many thanks

Good luck with that. It was very expensive for what it was (not complaining, I paid in because it was worth it). IF someone was willing to part I can't imagine what they would want.

1 month later
#26115 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

computer is really to find and a lot of extra parts are still available like PCB boards and so on.
With this pin, you need to run the latest code with the latest PCB boards and firmware.
I did also some improvements USB, PS, Caps...on mine thanks to the help of this great community and run my pin for 1 year now without any big issues with a lot of plays.
I would jump on it...

Computer is easy to get, I already bought a new one from the manufacturer. Failed to know when upgrading from the old style comp to the new that the power requirements were different and after a few months it fried so ordered a brand new comp. Easy enough. Was smart enough to correct the power problem though.

4 weeks later
#26299 4 years ago

Can someone take a pic of their drop Target opto board plug? I swapped in the correct style but it just says opto 1 is active. Wonder if i wired the plug wrong.

#26304 4 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Does it help you?[quoted image][quoted image]

Sadly no. I need to see the plug wires on the green board mounted to the drop Targets.

#26307 4 years ago

Can you shoot me a pic of the angle of view wanted?

Sure

IMG_20200318_135337 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_135337 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_135347 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_135347 (resized).jpg
#26310 4 years ago

Effectively I think you wired wrongly the plug
[quoted image][quoted image]

I agree. The previous board had a different orientation for the plug (as well as a different style altogether). I will reverse the wiring this evening and cross my fingers. Thanks!

#26315 4 years ago

Hrm, no luck with my drop targets. Plugged in or unplugged it now registers all three as active. Worse i think one of my io boards failed. Game is cursed....

#26318 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Do you have a spare IO board to try out?

I do and swapped it in. However 1 io board and 1 computer failed on this pos and not making much progress on getting it working.

#26320 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Did you get the pictures you needed from the earlier post to compare with what you are looking at??

I did, and I repinned the plug, but it does not work.

#26326 4 years ago

Just to understand what you did: You unwired this plug, change it and wired again?
Always had this issue? What is the behavior of the game in play about this drop target bank?

I had one of the machines with the incorrect drop target board. This inverted the logic and so there was a special code release for this to work on. In order to upgrade past 1.0 I had to buy an entirely new drop target board. This has a different plug and apparently the wires are in a different order.

The problem being there is no schematic for the drop target board and Heighway in their shitty build quality did not use individual colored wires so its a guess as to what the correct wiring is. I might have fried the optos when they were reversed. I have verified I get 12v and ground off the board. Due to the opto design I cannot see with my camera if they are on or not.

#26328 4 years ago

Ok
So I guess the best to do first is being sure that the plug is well wired. You need to know if each wire is connected at right place. So no other way but to follow each wire.

Yeah, except that would require a schematic which I do not think exists. Figure out what wires are ground and 12v are easy and can be done at the plug, but I am not even sure what pins are supposed to be 12v or ground on the drop target board.

#26330 4 years ago

Must be checked (i mean following the wire underneath the playfield as there is no schematic sheet) on a machine that works fine

A bit difficult due to rarity.

Can you do me a favor and measure the ground and 12v on that plug you took a pic of? That would eliminate a lot of this. My current guess is I have it wired correctly, but fried the optos when I wired it up the first time.

#26347 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I have a machine from one of the later LE runs. Here are photos of the connectors at the drop target board and the main board.
DC voltages measured (coin door open - high voltage disabled):
Red to Black = 5.03V
A target down, Orange to Black = 4.98V
P Target down, Yellow to Black = 4.98V
C Target up, Blue to Black = 0.01V
A target up, Orange to Black = 0.01V
P Target up, Yellow to Black = 0.01V
C Target down, Blue to Black = 4.98V
A target up, Orange to Black = 0.01V
P Target down, Yellow to Black = 4.98V
C Target up, Blue to Black = 0.01V
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice, so per the pics my center black pcb that holds the io board is different. I have an extra plug on it where my power wire goes. It is 12v and not 5v. I will switch it, but chances are the optos are fried and will need replacing.

#26350 4 years ago

Is there a number revision on this pcb board?

My game is supposedly the first production game. I will look over the board in a later and take pics.

1 week later
#26404 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

14K is not a fair price for this game nib also in my opinion. 10-11 max maybe.
It probably needs work too.
But you never know who is willing to pay this amount

Considering someone listed one at 13k that sold in a day recently, disagree.

3 weeks later
#26572 4 years ago

Buddy came over today and after 5 hours we now have all the leds in the game running except one. There is a single led board to the left of the alien jaw. If you put an led in it, it fries the led instantly. I ended up just disconnecting it.

Also have a dead io board. Does anyone repair them or is it trash? Still don't have working drop targets, but at least something is done.

1 week later
#26590 3 years ago

Ughh, spent 3 hours working on my drop target opto yesterday.

Replaced all the 3. Board shows two working, but one was activating at the wrong spot. Unplugged the opto board with the game on, optos failed to work after that. Replaced them again, 1 working. Turn game off, try moving the signal wires around, opto no longer works. Really want to say f* this game. I am close to getting it 100 percent, after this it is just putting in the new alien head, but so sick of it. Half tempted to get it 100 percent and throw it out as trade bait least I have to fix it again.

1 month later
#26676 3 years ago

I finally got my drop targets working. Next big step will be replacing the alien head with the later style, but I am going to need to find out what the wiring looks like. Have not found it yet. If anyone is willing to help let me know. This would be the last major hurdle to making this one run the current code.

#26678 3 years ago
Quoted from waywinn:

Are you talking about the two wiring harnesses that connect to the jaw board and the upper PCB, if I remember correctly, that is under the playfield? I performed an upgrade on my machine and I recall being able to reuse one of the wiring harnesses from the old head. I might have just needed to attach a different molex connector to it but I can't remember. I had to make the other one from scratch based on research from various pictures, etc. If what I said is accurate I can probably post some pictures of my setup, unless someone else already has that info.

That is what i am after. If you could post id appreciate it. If i can build that and figure out why my leds on the upper board went out (leds test fine in a different board) then this would be done.

1 week later
#26697 3 years ago

14k seems about right especially with the extras.

#26717 3 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Did you run the lamp and switch tests in the service menu?

V is probably bad and locked on. L is probably down stream of it. Need a new led. I would pull that pcb. Then fire up the game and use one of the single led board off the middle pcb as a tester, test the bulbs.

#26734 3 years ago
Quoted from waywinn:

In a pinch you can try buying LEDs from them but I find them to be really expensive. I bought my LEDs from TimeBandit and they are great. He currently does not have any in stock but it's sounding like that will change in the future. I would just keep my eye on this thread, his pinside store, or his site and buy some spares when they are available.

I hope he makes more. I would buy another 64 pack of them.

#26757 3 years ago

Eh, I debate that tbh. Upgrading this has been a headache, which is part of why its been such a slow process. Fixing my leds alone was 12 hours of work between two people, one who is a professional tech where as I have a decade of repair experience. For the ones who upgraded an early game while having a second grade on hand I am sure its been much easier. Most of it hasn't been that its hard, just that the information is not easy to find.

Blowing up one of the new computers because they changed the input voltage 350 loss. One brand new io board dying randomly 300 dollar loss. Fighting with the drop target opto board because the wiring was different. 20 dollar loss.

The leds on the upper pcb randomly failing after fixing them with less than an hour of the machine being one. So far does not look to be an led issue which means board issue and might be money.

Once I get the game finished it might be a different story, but I have seriously debated throwing it up for trade once its done just because I am tired of working on it and hate the led/pcb setup with a passion. Lotta cussing at this game and wishing death upon the ones who designed the electronics.

#26777 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

really painful and I can't imagine how hard it could be for you. At the same time, If I remember well, you have been warned before buying an early prod that it's gonna be a mess... I really hope you will be able to make it work as it should, because after all this pain, you should give it a chance.

Thing is, look at what ive owned. Plenty of rare, obscure, and frankly games others don't want to deal with maintaining. The physical assemblies on alien aren't bad. Electronics are the biggest steaming pile of shit.

The issues i have with the machine going forward have nothing to do with it being an early game. The led design and pcb board setup is idiotic. One led goes bad, disables the rest of tbe column, and requires a fair bit of time to fix. The ability for leds or proximity switches to wiggle loose also adds to this. The use of usb for io boards means they will come loose randomly. The pc and power supply in the bottom is a risk in and of itself. The wiring job is crap as well but might be better on later games. Frankly the way it was designed is why i believe it will never get remade. Its a ahitshow under the playfield.

Compare it to say jolly park. That has no parts support and very little posted on it. But once working its easy to maintain. It doesnt blow 300 dollar io boards for fun. It is logically laid out and small issues like bulbs are easy to get to, wont wiggle out, wont take out a column if they burn out. It doesnt have connectors that will come loose disabling a 3rd of the game. The same could be said of cosmic carnival, usa football, etc.

#26779 3 years ago

Apron is fine to me. I'd rather it than America's Most Haunted. It is flimsy and can bend if you lift the playfield with it. This causes you to have to bend it back so the ball will go down the outlanes. It also would gouge the playfield so a common mod is to cut the outside corners near the out-lanes.

Alien's electronics look less like a production machine and more like an amateur's later prototype iteration. The fact that it was their second game is just baffling to me. AMH to Rob Zombie saw changes to the electronics and AMH electronically speaking is a much better designed game. It still however has a great theme, art, pf layout, and toys (when working).

#26793 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Alien never had a company to work through the design flaws (remember, WOZ had the PC in the bottom too in the first run. Took a lot to get those solid, but it had JJP behind it). The biggest problem w the game is not it's electronics, it's the plastics. The game is coded and plays amazing....far from an amateur effort. I'd take it any day over the titles above ( and most any other, actually)
The "company" only managed 1 true final run, and even those had design (and acrylic) issues. Once worked out, the machine is quite solid. If Heighway could have crossed the finish line, who knows.....
An owner has to sort:
a) Which "version" they have. Early ones just aren't going to make it.
b) Are they willing to do what it takes to get the game reliable?
c) Can you get the key parts?
I don't think a remake will come, but who knows? Would be interesting to see for sure.
(and yes, the apron is a piece of crap and needs to go)

Disagree, this is tbeir second game, not their first. Cosmic carnival was more thought out than alien.
As for all the "dung was warned" bs. Early vs late does not fix the terrible led design. Does not fix the io boarda fragility. The use of usb in lieu of something with a locking connection. It does not fix their use of an under powered power supply.

I like the game but comparing it to anyone other conpanies first machine from the last 30 years, electrically its trash. Hands down, the worst. And anyone pulling g the you were warned dung go look at my collection history. I've got plenty to compare it to.

I will get this running at some point. I might keep it, might not, doesn't change the terrible design under the playfield. if it wasn't a dumpster fire the game most likely would have been remade by now.

#26825 3 years ago

Spent some time working on mine tonight. Leds are fixed. Game seems to play correctly minus the head not being connected and the switch for L on the upper roll overs. Did manage to drop the pf on my hand from 4-6 inches, do try to avoid that.

#26871 3 years ago

Has anyone had the magnet blow the fuse? Just tried to play a test game. If the magnet is briefly activated, no issue. IF the magnet tries to hold the fuse it blows. This is for section 2 and takes out the upper flipper and drop target reset. My game had a 4amp fuse in there. Not sure if that is the correct size, but I can replicate this on command.

#26882 3 years ago

Update: so guessing just a bad pack of fuses. It is no longer blowing. The game is however kicking in the circuit protection of some sort. I need to bypass it on my lower pcb and power supply pcb still. After that my next guess is that the leds to the right of the magnet do not detect the ball and leave the magnet on high power? Game kills the circuit so it doesn't melt anything? That is a guess only.

#26888 3 years ago

Magnet fixed. Side loop no longer recognizing and swapping the switch had no affect. Will mess with it more but question.

The upper right or it shot in switch test, does it exist? Mine has none. Has anyone made a map of the switch locations?

#26896 3 years ago

So, problem is not the protection circuit. The problem appears to be a weak power supply.

Magnet hold works fine in test. In game it would disable all coils on circuit 2. Reducing magnet power to 25 percent weaker, no issue. Further play showed that the pop bumpers cause similar problems. On normal power, one or two hits will cause some lights on that board to go out. Some coils will temporarily get disabled. Multiple hits to the pop bumpers, firing the coils, turns off the io board. Sometimes it will come back on after a few moments, sometimes not. Reducing coil power increased the number of pop bumpers firing to 3 before it would start having issues.

Early game so i do not have the 70v power supply. My power setup looks like this. I do want to try replacing the 12v with an upgraded first to see if my upper pcb io issues go away. After that dunno. Maybe try adding the caps people talk about?

e730c549cc0b5dffff36a17eccee1f98f54dc63d (resized).jpge730c549cc0b5dffff36a17eccee1f98f54dc63d (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#27039 3 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

MK6PIN Always the adult in the room............interesting finding by Per_ that his 70v switcher is only 7amps. 70-100 dollars for a higher amperage makes the capacitor setup high value.
I wonder if anyone on the other side of the pond is continuing to look into having IO boards made?.......ANYONE?.......Bueller?

Would be interested in buying some i/o boards if we ever get a group buy going.

#27041 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Where will you "group buy" ??
I think we are on a point were the dealers are out of stock / low stock and more pcb´s are in collectors hand.
Or you have the chines factory found ?

Did you miss the *if*?

As for where, if someone figured out where the original manufacturer is and requires a minimum order, that would be something with a potential group buy,

#27053 3 years ago

Thinking the 75 percent repair rate is a number pulled out of thin air. I have one that is dead and no repair source.

The games are only a few years old and its already a hard to find part. These will eventually start failing to age, we haven't even gotten there yet.

In time this will get worse so unless someone like clive starts offering repairs it will become a real problem.

#27081 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Alien has the best sound system out of any pin I have. JJP are close, just had a pinwoofer system installed on my Tron, its amazing how much sound quality can be improved with better amps/speakers.

Should compare it to an RZ, that had a nice kit. Could shake the house.

#27102 3 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

Has anyone heard if this game will be reintroduced?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, not unless a company wants to:
Re-engineer all of the electronics under the playfield.
Update the code to work with the all new electronics.
Redesign the playfield and its art to use normal switches instead of the induction switches.
Build the original cabinets or modify an existing cabinet to fit the new playfiield.

All this to re-release one machine where you already have a number of people who already own it and won't rebuy it. So no, its not being reintroduced stop asking.

#27120 3 years ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

Everybody is so touchy when you mention the word “remake”, LOL. I’m not gonna say who from but I did hear it’s in the works. I was given some nice details on it. Personally I hope it’s remade because I’ll buy that one too if it’s any good! Me, im not scared of a remake.

It has nothing to do with being scared. It has to do with being SICK of mouthbreathers claiming they have the inside scoop about the soon to be announced remake that never materializes. They crop up *knowing* but can never provide a lick of evidence and when the announcement fails to materializes they shut up only to reappear with a new rumor a few months later.

When someone actually reveals something start a new thread. In the mean time stop polluting this one because when you are actually trying to dig through and learn something from the post history, filtering out this shlock is ridiculous.

#27127 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

There are so few of these true, final run games, it's just hard to understand this one still is for sale.

Not really buying the hype over *final run* games, but why its still for sale is the hassle of importing from europe. Another is that rumors of a potential remake scare of those who don't have deep enough pockets to take a hit should a remake come about.

#27132 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not hype, just history.....no biggie to me, except people are paying $15k for games from earlier runs w known problems, and/ or have passed through multiple hands.
I do get the Euro travel thing being a worry though.....that's legit

And? Sorry not some diaper wiper who covets nib or one owner. I play my games. Condition matters but history is meaningless. Have owned enough rough huo games and pristine reimports to know better.

#27162 3 years ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

One of my favorite parts of the LE is the backlit blades. Not to mention that machine probably has the latest and greatest of everything before the company went out of business. And that is worth it’s weight. I’d wipe a dirty diaper for that. Oh, and you used the word mouth breather and diaper wiper in two different paragraphs almost back to back. With a screen name of dung. Just saying.

Have a non le, have lit sideblades. It is neat, but it isn't exactly custom hardware. Also for the posted list you got optional sideblades, powdercoat that is tbh gaudy. A plaque and a goody bag, wohoo... Also, glad you can read my screen name, so hard to find literate people these days.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

"And?"...."history" = latest build= less problems w almost EVERY new game that is released (mechs fixed, latest code, better playfields, overall general better build, etc.). Alien falls squarely in this caregory. Try as you may, the early games are mostly unfixable in some cases without factory help ( think WOZ). Alien didn't have the benefit of later revs, and first, second runs were mostly crap without alot of work and changing parts. I've also owned/ own several games.
History DOES matter, I play ALL my games (thousands of plays on most), and nobody wipes my ass but me. Sorry pinbud....

That does not seem to be the case. Typically the ones worth more money are samples/prototypes, ie early games in the long run. As for early games being unfixable, gonna disagree. Is it a pain? Sure. Is it expensive, definitely. Is it impossible? No. Even the later games suffer from issues and the main thing that I find unreliable about these machines (and full throttle for that matter) are not fixable. Its just baked into the initial design and heighway never addressed them.

Quoted from dpeck3:

DYI EL blades? Can you explain? Same art? And has anyone found a source for the original blades lighting kit? I only see electroluminescent panels on ebay that you would have to peice together.

The art blades are just a piece of plastic with a Electroluminescent Panels behind them. Sounds fancy, but el paper can be cut into any shape. It just runs off a little off the shelf powerr supply that is screwed to the cabinet. It is a very cool effect, but it is not magic sauce. The trick would be finding a source for paper that large at a reasonable price.

#27171 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Disagree on several points....the early games could not be fixed due to design flaws, components that wouldn't interchange, etc. as documented in the earlier "keeping 3 alive thread". There was 1 in particular that could never be sorted (w torridal transformer) that changed in later revs. That team had (has) amazing talent, and they put crazy time in trying to resurrect it. Worth more? Not if you want to play it reliably. The later run games don't have the problems of early versions, period.
Think I even sympathized w you when you had to spend hours w a pro repair guy to sort the LED's, then recall you having all sorts of other problems the later games just don't have.
Bored w this banter (I don't even know how it started).....buy, play, fix what you like. Best of luck.....no ill wishes from me.....

And if you actually did your research you would find that someone has replaced the transformer with a 70v switching psu. Sorry man, but you know a lot, but not all of it. There isn't anything about an early game that cannot be converted to a later game. Its a question of time and money. So since you are *tired* let's agree to disagree.

#27183 3 years ago

To Waywinn check out these as well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-away-from-her-you-bitch-alien-club-all-members-expendable
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien

This thread has good info, but its buried. A good way to find info is to look at the picture gallery for things you are interested in, then going to the post it was added in. When you switch you might skip the stock and look at something beefier. Some have tried to get around the lack of oomph from the switching by installing caps, but per one of the designers this could damage the machine.

#27187 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Please stop this nonsens here, right now!
I'm fed up with these.

This could go for a lot of pinside sadly.

In other news did want to chime in. Amazon basic usb cables are not that great. Upgrading to monoprice for not a lot of money helped a few issues.

#27189 3 years ago
Quoted from waywinn:

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I will be installing a slightly beefier power supply. I'm not planning on installing the caps.

Have considered this route. If memory serves there is a relay involved in installing the 70v powersupply. Off the top of my head cannot remember who was talking about doing it on theirs. Just that they were not int he us.

#27197 3 years ago

If someone wants to try this, but not risk there own. I have a spare alien head plastics I'd sell.

2 weeks later
#27349 3 years ago

Kinda curious, but why does everyone hate the apron?

Not my favorite apron design, but its functional. It doesn't bend like amh. Its not brittle like RZ. Its unique. Guess I like that its unique to hiehgway.

#27365 3 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Never mind. Got it. Wasn’t as dumb as I thought I was. Well, at least this time

Hey don't feel bad. I am trying to update full throttle and not getting anywhere.

1 week later
#27442 3 years ago

Since we are talking rugs, did anyone get alien coasters?
https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Acid-Drip-Coaster-Set/dp/B078WMNS4Y/ref=asc_df_B078WMNS4Y/

#27451 3 years ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

I just bought some, LOL. Thanks for the link

Np I have 4 or 5 sets. Got them when thinkgeek was shutting down.

1 week later
#27555 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Got inspiration from others on here that painted/upgraded their Xenomorphs. Sent mine to a painter I have used on other projects. I think it turned out fabulous!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks awesome. I really should find someone, have a spare alien head I could have painted.

1 week later
#27582 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

A few years ago I was considering getting a Full Throttle, but ran into too many people who couldn't keep their games running. It scared me off. I've gotten the itch again, but I'm still concerned about the risk. Last thing I want is to end up with a $4000 paper weight.
How worried should I be about this these days? I see there's lots of community support for Alien, but how transferable is this to Full Throttle? How likely is it that I have a bricked game a couple years from now? Appreciate any insights.
And any thoughts about a fair price for one these days? Years ago people couldn't give them away for well under $4K, but not sure where the *realistic* market is on them these days (also factoring in the "it could be dead some day" factor).

I own both. I am still working through getting my alien running, but have been elbow deep fixing both games.

Full throttle I got with major issues. It had been jacked with and I used my alien (which is in a full throttle cabinet) to fix the wiring hacks. If it weren't for alien being as desirable and having such a large community I'd say steer clear, but because of Alien I wouldn't be concerned about full throttle.

Reason is that parts that many parts have or will end up getting remade for alien owners. On mine the rider that spins to follow the ball uses the same servo board as the alien tongue. Mine had the main chip fail, but its an off the shelf servo controller that I got a 5 pack off amazon for 10 bucks. The spinning discs can come off, but if you dig someone has made them. I bought a spare set even though I don't need them. Could probably use double sided tape to reattach it if they did.

The computer is no longer made. I would keep an eye on ebay and snag a spare. The software to create a sd card from scratch is available. It uses the same io boards as alien and those have been remade. Switches, leds, same as alien. The game does like to have things come lose. A lot of adjusting the induction switches (lift the playfield, push the induction switch up towards the playfield fixes it everytime).

It is more maintenance intensive than other machines, but its a lot of game for 4k.

#27585 3 years ago

Does anyone recommend an upgraded 12v psu they are using? Wanted to go ahead and replace mine.

#27587 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'll post model #'s tonight and you can choose

Appreciate it

#27591 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I'm not near my games (8000 miles away). Does anyone know if the same MeanWell PS will work in a Full Throttle? Thanks

I dont see why not. My ft and alien use the same power supplies. Yes mine has the transformer for 70v which so far has yet to blow a fuse.

1 week later
#27617 3 years ago

Got my new psu installed. Played a few games for the first time without the coils turning off due to the io board cutting out.

#27619 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Bingo...congrats!...you won't have to worry about resets anymore, either (used to happen to me).

Went with a 600w 50 amp version.

I do have the transformer in my game. I hear it can blow the 6 amp fuse, but that has never happened for me. Currently need to move the computer, find a permanent home for the psu. Clean up some wiring. Wire in the alien head and this is done, but I have other projects I am working on. Currently fixing a namco cool gunman so could be awhile.

1 month later
#27721 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

If you take a closer look to the available lamps from China, there's two versions very similar with same dimensions. One version has the original three scews to fix the glass, and the other version has a screwable glass. Inside these lamps are different, the original one has a motor driven gear that makes this awful sound, but the other version use rubbers - quiet similar like F-14 Tomcat... just more compact.
I guess the version with screwable glass is the right choice, even if you have to maintain the lamp, quick and easy to fix without tools.
Right now, I think about the replacement to the screwable version, but I see a problem with the coating... may be damaged or wear off if the glass is screwed?
This is the other version of the lamp with a screwable glass and rubbers.
Should run very smooth and silence?
Another idea is, to swap the entire inside parts into the black housing to use the better drive?
[quoted image]

Where did you find the rubber band version? I have the gear driven and it is indeed awful. I am wondering if I could transfer the guts from one to the other so it will look correct, but not sound awful.

#27723 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Look here: ebay.com link » 12v Industrial Alarm Light Rotating Strobe Emergency Warning Lamp

Does not ship to the united states sadly.

#27725 3 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

Same item from E-BAY America..................
ebay.com link » Rotating Beacon Warning Light Lamp Spiral Abs 12vdc 220vac Lte 1101

No, its not. Look closely. Half the image show a screw on top. Half show that it has metal screws holding the top. I own the style with screws already.

#27736 3 years ago

Are you needing the plastics or the metal assemblies?

3 weeks later
#27892 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

While I would love a P-roc powered Alien, it would be essentially like starting over from the framework/electronics that is currently used in Alien games. I doubt that would be feasible.

Define feasible?

Redesign the playfield to use switches instead of induction switches, including changing the artwork.
Build custom light boards.
Redesign the wiring harness.
Reprogram the game from scratch.

If a kit charge as much as a good standalone pinball machine. As a new pin charge around 10k for a game that is several years old and already has a handful of owners.

Incidentally, right now have a buddy working on making a universal bracket to hold the usb cables in place. After that would like to see if we can come up with a space so the switches don't sink into their sockets. Would really help the reliability.

#27904 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

PROC is first and foremost hardware interface and set of drivers... they can run the same game code and just change the hardware drivers and interface in the software. They could run on the same PCs you already run alien on even.
One could in theory just focus on changing the IO boards and keeping the existing lighting/switches.
It's not as insurmountable as you infer. It's more a question of how much you think should be salvaged. That drives the scope. Swapping out the IO boards and keeping the same mech/switch/light junctions could make for a very 'swappable' upgrade. But if you want to ditch the power design, light boards, switches, etc.. then things obviously get more involved. But those are kinds of things you can do readily for a game going into production.

I didn't say its insourmountable. I implied it isn't feasible from a cost perspective.

It can run the same game code? Sure, if there is an interface layer between the two. I'm a software engineer, and no, there is no just hooking up a p-roc board to the existing computer and it magically working.

Removing the io boards and expecting p-roc to interface with the existing lighting/switches is a bit far fetched. The only thing you have done is gotten away from the problematic usb connection. You still have a number of failure points like the terrible switches.

This of course ignores that there isn't enough incentive to redesign this game which was why I said it wasn't feasible in the first place. You need a company that has the funds to buy out pinball brothers, buy the license from fox, have the facilities or the funds to build them, and the funds to redesign the game and put all the parts back in production.

To date with remakes we have seen BBB which sunk Gene Cunningham and required multiple people to bail out the limited production, using a lot of pre-existing parts. We have seen Chicago Coin which has remade games where a lot of it was already existing and overtime they have introduced changes. So, no let's put this stupid question to bed because after over a year of idiotic, unfounded, bullshit rumors we still haven't seen this game remade in any form let it go.

#27907 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I didn't infer it works by magic. I'm saying the PROC platform uses a PC controller - and that's exactly what you have in your alien already Literally just changing the driver hardware from the HWP IO boards to the PROC drivers and rewriting the HAL and drivers to talk PROC. The game code has always had abstraction from the hardware.

The switches aren't the problem.. It's the fubar'd power driver and bus designs on the IO boards. Physical interfaces (USB ports) are easily reworked. That's a common failure point in games, but it's not the fundamentally broke portions of the game that cause disco lights, inadvertent cutoff, and serviceability issues.

They'd probably just use one software guy (Brian).. maybe two (the original was done with just two). They need the competent engineer to do the boards (another job done by one person). The rest I don't know which way you are going.. buyout? It's the PBros that kept the assets for a reason.. its the PBros that have been shopping the concept since HWP imploded. It's the PBros that are the money guys to start with.

You're lumping all projects together without looking at how they are different. Gene was a garage operation. Chicago Gaming has been very successful because they run like a legitimate company. PBros are not hobbyists with dreams of granduer of starting a pinball company in their backyard.

Dude, you have a whole lot of enthusiasm and very little touch with reality.

The switches sink into their sockets and stop detecting the ball. They do this on full throttle as well. Its a terrible design.

Software guys are not cheap. We get paid well. PBbros don't have money. They have been teasing various ideas for two years now.

Lumping together? No, I am talking about remakes. There is a reason there are so few and yet everyone says the demand is so high. We have two examples and only two for a reason. PBbros don't have the money. They couldn't keep alien in production, they don't have the funds to restart it. They need an angel investor and after 2 years none have surfaced.

So, instead of dirtying up this thread with another rehash take it to one of the rumor threads.

#27923 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think you are missing the key point that PBros ARE the money guys.
They didn't keep Alien in production because HWP the company was FUBAR - not because PBros didn't have money. They crafted the scheme to move the assets to their entity and charge back to the remaining HWP to dump the liabilities while holding onto the real assets. PBros didn't run out of money. HWP ran out of money and PBros restructured the company to protect the assets and give HWP a very short runway. HWP choked out and PBros were setup to let HWP slough off and die.
And pinball software guys are cheap - they are mostly passion people. They aren't making the money they would be in tech.

The money guys that couldn't afford to keep heighway in business. The money guys that are floating ideas to change the cabinet. Change the pf to a standard width. IE do whatever they can to cut costs, because they cannot afford to build it. Just stop, great enthusiasm, but talking out of your ass. It's been years now, take this shit out of this thread. Go talk in one of the multiple rumor threads, which by the way I know you do.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Well good to see that's how you handle people you don't want to face what they have to say. Run away to private threads/sites if you want to be able to control what views are allowed.
Why the interest? Simply the information being released. PBros have been seen shopping this around for along time... based on their actions of late it sounds like they are trying to draw attention to it. Curious to see if they can make a legit game. I want to see Alien in a reliable form and I want more people to get to play it.

All you are doing is coming across as another impassioned pinhead with 0 knowledge but a need to run their mouth. That is fine, but when people come in here to read about the actual game that exists they have dig through post after post of this drivel. It gets really old. How about we stick to the game that exists and you can go play in fantasy land elsewhere.

#27926 3 years ago

I am going to edit this out. Otherwise this is just going to go back and forth ad nauseum. Do wish pinside would allow people who owned the game to be the only ones to post in the club threads. Would fix a lot of this. Not saying discussion is bad, just take it to a different thread.

#27962 3 years ago

Does anyone make a fix for the scoop? Mine is the early style. Was debating trying to make what averell did.

#28004 3 years ago

I need a lock for my full throttle. It is missing one completely.

1 week later
#28057 3 years ago

Im in for some of eve0rything. In the us.

#28064 3 years ago

Have to say the tongue is a nice touch, very cool.

#28080 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

PF looks really nice without the LCD, just saying...

Only time it looks better is when the game is off...

#28092 3 years ago

Can you guys take the remake talk to the remake thread?

#28112 3 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Well, I knew it was bound to happen. My alien has been problem free until tonight. All of a sudden all 3 displays are not working during game play. They all work during game boot up. Game plays just fine but all 3 screens are dark. Thoughts? Of course, I’m hosting my family for Christmas tomorrow and this happens...

Guessing a software issue. My full throttle just started doing that, planned on reloading the software.

Remake I am mixed on. No pf display, but kept the fairly pointless airlock display? The Sentry guns artwork doesn't really mix in with the rest very well. Cabinet artwork is meh. Small display in the backbox. Happy to have an original.

#28204 3 years ago

As a full throttle owner I wonder if they will release the version of the code that works on aliens x86 computer. The utilite arm computer used in full throttle is nla.

2 weeks later
#28289 3 years ago

If you need the assembly freeplay is it. If you need just the plastics shoot me a message.

#28297 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Great to see this site!!! Will hope they eventually offer the set of LEDPCB boards and my redundancy is complete!!

Yeesh, the markup is nuts. Would pick up some parts but at those prices bo fucking way.

#28302 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Sounds like things are coming together nicely in Italy. If anyone is interested in my original Alien SE by heighway let me know as I will be looking to move it out once my remake arrives. I would prefer trades but sale is a possibility also. Absolutely no shipping of any kind, but I can travel between Portland and LA. If you want to see the machine you can view the archived ad here on pinside from when I purchased it in September of last year

Good luck but think lots of potential buyers are going to pass. Values will tank until people figure out if the oeiginal is better which will be awhile.

#28329 3 years ago
Quoted from Freedom:

Getting my 2nd alien game back up to speed ( 2nd time owning this game). New Xeno gears , power supply , USB , etc.
Occasionally the right flipper seizes up on multiball.
Any tips , thoughts , suggestions ? So excited to get this working 100 percent.
Thank you

If you mean upper right, replace the 5v power supply with something bigger.

1 week later
#28408 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Maybe they separate the audio from the video file and have 2 files - one for the video and one for the audio.
I think that's how stern does it. I think is easier to process in the game a/v system.
Maybe you can look for a folder with sound files in it and see if they match the folder with the video files in it or have some logical naming convention to point to them.

That is probably so they can layer sounds. Simpler from a code perspective if all sounds a separate.

2 weeks later
#28424 3 years ago

Does anyone have a PROGRAMMED Jaw board or know of one for sale.

I have spent the day trying to program mine to no avail. It relies on AVRdude which has not been supported in over a decade.

I am using the usbasp as detailed in the Weyland thread, but despite three different computers no dice.

On my mac the system recognizes the device, but when I try to use avrdude, it spits back that it cannot find it.

On windows 10 I cannot get anything to run. On Windows 8 I was receiving a dll error, but once I tracked that down avrdude throws a prompt that it failed to start.

#28425 3 years ago

Well, got it by downloading arguing idea and then copying where it calls avrdude. Not a fun night.

2 weeks later
#28445 3 years ago

My game is missing the large plastic that covers the psb and also the one for the computer. Does anyone have the sizes? Any recommendations on where I could order it and what type of plastic to get?

2 weeks later
#28462 3 years ago

Anyone know where i can get a new one?

20210318_225234 (resized).jpg20210318_225234 (resized).jpg
#28466 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

dung,
what do you have is a prototype version of the small monitor bracket made of plastic.
You should write an e-mail to PB, GameRoom or any other dealer to get the metal bracket.
Another solution is to reproduce the bracket... should be easy because it's not complex at all.

Good to know because this thing sucks. I can fix it, but its awful. Reproducing would be difficult. Would have to machine/laser cut a new one, then put the bend in it. Not fun.

1 week later
#28494 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Interesting comment...you've been through about 4 already, but they all had no problems, correct (?)
I like dbarker advice....you'll be hard pressed to find a late build here in the states. Get some pics, hookup w someone who has a nice example and sort the differences.

After sorting mine out I haven't experienced anymore issues than what I experience on full throttle. Mine is supposedly the first production game.

Induction switches settle into their sockets and stop detecting. LEDs fail or work their way up in their sockets and fail to make contact.

The weird one is that mine still has a transformer. I have heard that the transformer was gotten rid of as it would blow a fuse. It has not been an issue on mine. I also get he added benefit of my flippers being strong.

Delt loves to post about how the later build games are superior like it is some mystical badge of honor. It isn't. A well sorted game will work as well as a late build. They still won't be as reliable as a new stern due to various design flaws.

#28496 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I wish you'd sort that transformer thing and clue me in... ....I've wanted to go for it on several occasions, but always backed down.
You are spot on about having to spend time with the game to get everything as it needs to be in order to be reliable.
Mine ( and yours I suspect) play quite well..have admired your love/ hate of the game...spending the time to sort the issues.....it's lonely in space, lol
Alien ( including whatever this remake is supposed to turn out as) is always going to be for those that aren't afraid to get dirty, but a highly sought after title, as the few will become fewer as time passes. Just my .02 cents..

Hold the opposite opinion. Due to its desirability more of the early ones have been converted over time. Full throttle strikes me as a title that over time there won't be the parts to keep them running and they will die out. With this there is enough interest to get parts made.

Nothing to sort on the transformer for me. My game has a full throttle cabinet. I do wonder if the transformer wasn't replaced with a switching power supply due to cost savings.

#28499 3 years ago

Make sure the speaker wire to the head isnt run in the main wiring bundle. There was a tsb for full throttles and my alien was run the same way. Just disconnect the wires and run them seperately. Try and keep them away from that bundle of wires to the head as much as possible.

#28501 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I like your take, but the very early ones took alot of work. Didn't mean it couldn't be done, but expensive and time consuming. Hoping parts do get made at a reasonable cost is my biggest concern.....just can't see many willing to put the work in some of those...could be wrong.
So you have a transformer in your Alien w current I/O boards and CPU config? If so, please share info, as I'd really like to go that route (less heat, no need for caps, etc.)....thx

Not sure why you are saying you can't see anyone willing to put the work into the early ones to convert, when I fucking did it lol I wasn't even the first. There are two detailed thread on converting early ones on pinside. There are also that have done it. Why? Because you could get the early ones cheap and it was about 1k in parts to convert. I also have the el blades from the factory. One downside to the early one is they did not have light pipes. I stole the ones off my full throttle so that is not the case with mine.

I have the transformer, from the factory. Mine came with the red io boards. the only difference between red and blue is that the resistors are jumpered on the blue from the factory. I had to jumper mine and have run blue in there as well. The jumpers are in relation to circuit protection and are not related to what power source you use. The computer runs off low voltage and has nothing to do with the transformer.

#28507 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I've had a few aliens. My last two were very good - last one no issues at all. My first one was early and had issues as outlined in this thread. I personally would avoid early versions of the machine. As dung mentioned (who seriously needs to calm down - so angry all the time!) you can spend time to get them working but it will take time, parts and more time.

Not angry, just blunt. I have a low tolerance for bullshit and pinside is full of it.

I have owned Full Throttle (purchased broken) and an early alien which I converted to later hardware. I have the original pcb boards for the lamps/switchs. They work just fine. I have the original transformer. It has blown 0 fuses. It also leaves me without the weak flipper issues that people complain about.

To date the ongoing issues I have with my alien and full throttle (just sold it to fund a tbl) are the same issues any Heighway game would face. Shitty led design and shitty induction switch design. Full throttle also suffered from power issues *if* a shaker motor was attached. I could have fixed it by putting an upgraded psu in like I did with alien but didn't care enough and pulled the shaker. So no, every time I see you get on here and claim that early aliens are magically more unreliable screams of bullshit.

There is not any special sauce about later builds. You can buy every damn part on this game and swap it in. Nothing stopping you. The electronics in this game are, regardless of version, hot garbage. If you want a reliable, trouble free machine by pinball standards go buy a stern pro.

The only warning to someone buying an early is find out what is version of the code it is running and does everything work. Look it over for hacks. Ask yourself do you want a maintenance hog of a game that can be expensive to repair. If it is unconverted budget a grand, maybe more, and expect to spend a shit ton of time reading on here. On the other hand, I could probably convert an early build to a later over a weekend because I've dealt with all the trouble areas. I actually tried to buy one awhile back but was too slow.

#28517 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

No one with a working Heighway ALIEN should trade to the remake... where's the challenge to fix some problems?
Rumours said PB has 500 units in pipeline, but these will also have issues, I'm sure.

Quoted from razorsedge:

With the switch sensors, I put an earplug under each switch, between it and the board. No more falling down switches.

That is a good idea. I was thinking of making a 3d printed spacer, but just havent gotten to it.

1 week later
#28527 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Luckily somehow I already have this. Where these just on LEs? I don't have an LE.

No, my SE has it. My full throttle standard did as well.

1 week later
#28539 3 years ago
Quoted from Cigaretteman:

I know this thread is for the original Alien but here is a little comparison video.

Nice to see they split up the pcb's under the pf. The wiring and lack of usb is great. Apron is an improvement.

Cab art, stainless side rails, the sentry gun artwork on the pf, milky white standup targets are just a no from me. I do not see myself selling my original for this, but nice to see the game out there for others.

1 week later
#28570 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Trading a POTC CE for an Alien???? Hell no would be my opinion. With new Aliens shipping in the 7k range and POTC CE pulling 4x that value that would be a poor trade. Great game but Not that great!

I wouldnt want a new alien. Potc is worth more but game for game i would rather have alien.

Potc probably falls third which after tbl, but that is with all three being equal value. Its current valuation is laughable.

#28572 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Laughable but a Reality! Hence poor trade option. Game play is suggestive and I didn't comment on that.

No, but you also suggest that a 7k alien remake is the same as an original, its not.

As for a reality, we will see how long this lasts. There is not an endless pool of buyers.

Fun example, two mystery castles sold at 8k in the last few months. I had a pretty good trade lined up for mine, but backed out. Guy has a decent one on here for 5k and cannot sell it. What a difference a few weeks can make.

2 months later
#28751 2 years ago

Hey, got rid of my alien. Was digging through my parts stash today and found an unused io board. What are they going for now? Also have a bad io board (missing usb connector and it got fried) that I will throw in for free.

#28753 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Big mistake...

Sorry, but no. I am getting out of pinball. Plan is to keep celts when I get it, but everything else is getting sold just a matter of buttoning up projects and getting them listed.

Was it a big mistake to get rid of a 13k game I powered on maybe a couple times a month? Hell no. Alien is a great game, but prices for pins have reached levels where I looked around and decided there are other toys I'd rather have.

Monday, my mint, 1 owner, bone stock 99 Viper shows up. Hopefully six months from not I can finish my house and move into a much better place with land and either a lake or mountain view.

2 months later
#28796 2 years ago

I still have 4 sets of unused think geek alien coasters as well as a working io board from the alien I sold. If anyone has interest shoot me a pm.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.