pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drinkduffbeers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1064 8 years ago

Thanks for the update and the provisional timeframe. Gonna end up getting Alien before MMR at this rate!

Can't wait for the licensor to release your shackles

2 weeks later
#1109 8 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

What would be better is endless balls for 45 seconds. ie. just keep shooting drained balls back on to the field.
ie. Use this mode for the Nostromo in self destruct mode and when the countdown ends, the flippers go dead. During that 45 seconds you have to end the self destruct mode by hitting a target, or a sequence of targets. The analogy to the original film is Ripley running back to cancel the self destruct sequence.
That would be cool.

No way that sounds epic have the beacon toppers flashing too

#1113 8 years ago

Quick question for Aurich, are you involved in the playfield artwork or just the LE back glass and side art?

#1115 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing the standard backglass and sideart, though the initial rough concepts for it were already done before I came on board, so my role there is to flesh them out and finish them.
I'm doing the playfield. Some things were in place there too, but probably a lot less will be kept, concept-wise, that's what I'm working through now.
I'm doing the LE backglass and sideart.
I'm working on designs for the LCD screen, though we have an animator, as well as people at Heighway who've done concepts and animations.
Working with the license is a process, and that's the main reason we haven't been ready to show anything yet. I'm used to working with big brands, but on much tighter/faster time schedules, it's definitely a learning experience to go through this all. When you do an ad campaign for Microsoft or Lexus you're working with their agency, and while there's always a style guide and legal requirements you never had to submit work through such a formal and intense process that comes with the world of film.

Ha it would have been easier to ask which part you weren't involved with. Great news your involved with the actual playfield artwork too

image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm sure you have already seen this arcade shooter artwork. No pressure but sure you can do better.

Exciting times ahead

2 weeks later
#1208 8 years ago

Love that kickback concept

#1294 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

(The following is just a hypothetical for the moment, making it up on the spot, the team can steal it if they want, but not saying it will be in the game.)
We have a playfield where every single light both on top of and below it is a fully addressable RGB light (plus if you upgrade or have the LE there's fiberoptic ramp lighting, same color changing abilities). There's a high rez LCD screen right in the middle of that.
We kill all the GI and the inserts and the LCD. Game goes dark.
A rumbling explosion builds on the sound system, and the LCD lights up with a fireball. The screen goes red. A "shockwave" of red travels outwards from the screen as the inserts and GI all bloom into red in sequence as it moves away from the center. The beacons start spinning. The flashers start going off, red of course.
Man, I dunno what Andrew is gonna do here, but the man says he's going to offer an optional game-activated smoke machine. If you have one it would let out a big puff of smoke, right as the screen animates.
The game is bathed in red, the inserts fade out and flashers go off, so just the red GI remains, keep the beacons going though, and then we ... who knows? Launch a 4 ball multiball. Light up all the major shot arrows red. Every time you hit one it goes orange (and all the flashers orange). Then yellow. Then you extinguish it. Put out all the shots to light the super jackpots.
I dunno, I'm making this up right now, and the rules are all covered by Bálint and team. Just an example for the kinds of thinking I hope we bring to the game. But I'm working with the game designers and programmers to figure out stuff like that. It's this enormously cool playground. I'm honestly just as excited about art directing the LCD screens and the lighting as I am about the cabinet/playfield art.

Seriously what an absolute pleasure to read, such exciting possibilities .Yes part of me wants my Alien pin ASAP but a much larger part of me wants the kind of experience as described above

More than willing to wait and allow time for this baby to evolve and fulfil its true potential. The Alien licence is just that special, both from a fans point of view and commercially for a manufacturer

For me the regular comms from Heighway and the little insights from Aurich are making it dam fun being able to check in on this thread and get a little fix .

After saying that. Hurry up

#1386 8 years ago

So that's how you hook up a smoke machine to a pinball.

Now just add those rotating beacons/cool sounds /RGB Lighting effects / shaker motor rumbles and Aliens

Holy crap........

1 week later
#1495 8 years ago

Great to see it evolve with all the subtle changes. It looks like your doing the licence justice that's for sure

Loving the Creature from the black lagoon in the air lock . Nice crossover

#1554 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I agree! Don't show it naked. The layout looks awesome, but the theme sells it... There's always a "next big show" somewhere, it'd be foolish to rush and show an incomplete game in the final phase of development.

+1

#1612 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you dig all the logos and stuff in Alien this is a great read: http://typesetinthefuture.com/alien/

I could have read that all day long. Stunning

To quote

"(Okay, so she skips the “verify” steps. But, y'know: lurking xenomorph.)"

Absolutely brilliant

I do appreciate the hard work that's being put into creating this pin , that being said it must be a privilege working with some of the material at your disposal

Just try motivating yourselves for Heighway pin 3 ' Peppa Pig pinball adventure ' or whatever it's going to be after this!

#1615 8 years ago

And another thing(s)

1.That screen is hand drawn 2.just look how convoluted the instructions are. Freaking awesome

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 month later
#1780 8 years ago

I was one of the lucky ones that got to see the 'in progress' offering at the UK pinball party.It looked stunning. Made this fledgling company look all grown up

It must be so frustrating for HP to keep things under wraps when a single pic of that standard edition cab would send ripples round the pinball world and really give credibility to their stake of becoming a mainstream manufacturer. But that's just the nature of the licensing beast and they will have their day for sure, also the thought that it will then be taken to another level when Aurich reveals his limited addition version is a sweet thought indeed

I hate it when someone posts I know something you don't but in this case Im privileged to say I kind of do, with what I have seen so far the Alien licence is in really good hands Im happy to cut Heighway some slack on due dates and therefore allow Alien pinball to evolve and fulfil its potential. Btw I'm in for a LE but would be more than happy with the SE artwork that was revealed so no one needs to stress if not comfortable with pre ordering.

In the meantime Full Throttle looks like being a rather nice little filler!

#1850 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Had to make it...

Alien_01.jpg

Good effort!

#2085 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

all Heighway pinball cabinets regardless of version come with a real knocker

Crying shame but my very first action will be to un plug it, my dogs petrified of them

Unless heighway provide mops??

#2162 8 years ago

Aurich been testing out ideas on his car ??

image.jpgimage.jpg

2 weeks later
#2208 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm going off topic, but I just saw this movie Sunshine (from director Danny Boyle - '28 days Later' and 'Trainspotting' and 'Slum Dog').
It's a space mission movie inspired by Alien (somewhat) stars Chris Evans (Captain America) also has the actor that plays 'Scarecrow' on TDK.
Not really about anything to do with Aliens but it's a nice gritty dark space flick.
I saw it on DVD (Amazon) but it's also on Google (free) don't know how that works
» YouTube video

Good movie with stunning soundtrack

1 week later
#2328 8 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I saw the artwork on Saturday in Manchester and was so impressed I ordered an LE. happy days! Aurich if you did that back glass hats off to you sir

Ha. This thread is simply going to explode one day

#2459 8 years ago

Egg all the way for me. Just so iconic love it. In fact currently in for an LE but may have to swap to the standard version on the back of this artwork.
But no need to make any hasty decisions looking forward to the LE reveal

#2468 8 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Saw the big LCD in one of the Full Throttles at expo and it looked nice and crisp, so no worries there.
If it's just going to mirror the playfield LCD, I don't see the point, though. As a player, the playfield LCD works great. If you want something for onlookers or for attracting attention on location, I think the small back box LCD serves that purpose while being able to keep the translite.

I'm looking for some clarity on this . If the big screen is going to display the translite where appropriate I'm in. If it just mirrors the playfield lcd I will stick with the smaller screen in the backbox

#2525 8 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

Didn't anyone notice the Easter Egg yet?

Easter-Egg.jpg

Ha made me laugh

#2529 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If I missed it sorry, but do these games have interactive LED lighting on the backbox or will it be a cheap (Stern) quality fluorescent light tube?

It's led strip lighting which is meant to be addressable for various lighting effects

#2531 8 years ago

Sorry no idea

#2534 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

As good as the "big" LCD looks, I don't believe I will be ordering one. The Heighway system is designed with the LCD in the playfield, which I think is a Great idea. To have the "big" LCD just mirroring the in screen display, is of no value to me. I would rather have a "Big" backglass. Now if they where separate feeds part/all of the time, that would be Awesome, & it would make the "big" LCD a must. So until they confirm two separate feeds, I think I'll pass on the "big" LCD.
It's great to have options though! Kudos to Heighway on this!

I'm on the same page. Big screen looks awesome but I would not like to give up the Alien artwork on the backglass. The smaller screen with the artwork for alien but the big screen for full throttle. Problem is it screws up the interchangeability between the two.

I really don't know now

2 months later
#3326 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

What I know so far...
An alien pinball machine is being developed by a company that has invested a lot of money into it, and that company already designed a cool game and is shipping that game.
Alien art is being developed by a really great graphics designer that already has a reputation for making amazing pinball art packages. Fox is still chewing on the design.
We can preorder the alien machine, we have seen a playfield design, and it looks nice and interesting. We've been promised that it will not disappoint.
The LE package will be great, the regular package will have opportunity to add LE elements (I think this is great. Remember tron? The fiber ramps had to be redesigned by a hobbiest because stern made them completely unavailable for the pro, how many out there bought those fiber wires for their pro? How many are searching and begging for an LE?)
We have a great forum here that will allow us to read new info first hand.
We gripe about everything under the sun and put pressure on pinball makers to be excellent, and to show us all their cards "right the hell now" because we did or didn't put $1000 down
Making pinball is hard. But they're doing it with out 80 years of experience behind their company.
when they release art or a finished package, we've been told it will be amazing. It takes a lot of time to get things right.

Great post Chosen-s

#3366 8 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Another update for everyone.
We have had no less than 27 submissions approved by FOX within the last 24 hours - including the playfield art.
This represents a huge step forwards for the game.
It *may* be possible to show you playfield art next week. We are pushing hard for this.
I will update you as soon as we have more news.

Wow good job. That's sounds like a significant step forward

#3416 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Essay incoming!
I did not have complete freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted, it's true. I had certain tools in a box, and I had to build using those tools. That's okay, it's the nature of the beast, it comes with the territory. I'm utterly comfortable working like that, I'm a commercial designer, my clients often provide me with assets that I need to incorporate.
Part of the process taking so long was it's an old film, and the assets for it took some hunting down. There was a lot of back and forth. It was a slow process. Approvals took longer than expected. But we persisted and we've pushed through to a major milestone now.
If I had complete freedom would I have done it differently? Sure, why not. But the whole team is really excited about where we are now. There's a lot that was depending on these approvals, and now we're free to push forward.
This is a game that's going to be heavily about atmosphere, it's dark, we want to do a lot with the lighting and LCD screen, it was important that the playfield be moody.
But at the same time no one wants things in pinball to be too dark. So I tried to strike a balance. It's about space, and stars, but it's also about claustrophobia. It's dark, but it needs colors. There needs to be military elements, and the artwork and style of the marines. And it needs to be not just all black and green. We've done that for the Standard side and backglass already, no one wants a monochrome game.
I worked in Photoshop and Illustrator. There are assets straight from the film, assets pulled from original HR Geiger concept drawings, i did original paintings and original drawings (digital on my Wacom tablet), and even bits taken from Alien comic books that I was allowed to use as resources. I basically pushed out where I could, wherever we were able to document our sources, so that what we submitted was backed by the assets we were allowed to use.
I'll say this: while it took a really long time for Fox to approve it, and I'll admit that I was getting nervous, they didn't ask for a single change. Not one. We really carefully documented everything, showed the origin of everything, and in the end after running through the process they said "good to go".
So even though the waiting was a little nerve wracking, and it's one of the reasons this thread has seen so little updates lately, in the end the process was actually very fast. Could have easily been a lot longer even with faster approval times, but lots of back and forth changes.
Summary for too long reading:
The playfield is a real mix of assets and drawing and whatever I thought I could get away with. I know some people expressed a little disappointment that the egg backglass, while a classic image, was kind of a "known" element already. The playfield doesn't look like any Alien product I've ever seen before, it's a wholly new look. I hope people are happy with it.

Approval the first time of asking is testament to the effort and attention to detail that must have been put in. Made up for you and cannot wait for the big reveal

#3618 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

In the pipe, 5 by 5!

Ha you really need to get out more!

#3689 8 years ago

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#3708 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Someone please explain the "Fly the Friendly Skies" graffiti.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3801 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you want to see the image without Pinside compression click this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/full-playfield.jpg

Wow there's a lot more going on than initially meets the eye. I think it looks stunning

Btw everyone if you haven't allready click on the above link to the high res version. The others don't do it justice

#4152 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you want to see the image without Pinside compression click this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/full-playfield.jpg

I love the fact this pin is being developed first and foremost by actual Alien fans . It's going to be great fun proudly pointing out all the little quirky features / hidden detail depicted on the playfield when the pins in my game room . Absolutely love the direction this has taken

#4155 8 years ago
Quoted from dracula40:

What is the total # of games being made ? Is this something that needs to be locked up now or could it wait? I'm thinking about getting in. Thanks

A run of 500LE's
Then as many standards as demand requires so you have plenty of time to decide

#4433 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I get that you're joking, but everyone really needs to chill.
If you want honest answers you need to not freak out when you get them.
No one said there are no actors in the game. Apparently some moron is podcasting this now like it's a fact, but he's an idiot who doesn't know shit from gold, and has zero inside information, so please just put him on ignore like the rest of the sensible world.
The honest answer is the actors are a separate negotiation, that's just the way the license game works. You're getting the behind the scenes story, which is that we're still in negotiations.
If you want me to just not tell you the truth and say "Stay tuned" all the time I can do that. It's not hard to dance around answers to things. Just let me know if you can't handle it. Seriously, not trying to be dickish, but if this is gonna be the reaction it's not worth it. I never wanted actors on the playfield in the first place, would have been easy to say that and just move on.
Otherwise just relax, and wait for the game to be done. All of this is normal, for every company, Stern included. They're just at the stage where they don't have to tell you anything ahead of time to sell games. GOT took two years to make. You think there wasn't a ton of back and forth they never mentioned to you? And you'll notice Heighway hasn't said a word about games 3 and 4 which are in development, so that's happening with them too.
tl;dr Things are in progress, chill until there's actual news

Don't bite! making sausages is hard

#4481 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

If this is a joke it's really funny.
If not, it's kind of sad.

Just goes to show we are in safe hands

4 weeks later
#4765 8 years ago

Wow it's looking gorgeous and momentum is building nicely

#4783 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This game is going to be positively dripping with f—ing aliens.

Ok. So that got me a bit excited

#4785 8 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Best. Reply. Ever. I'm literally rofl'ing... Ouch, my stomach hurts...

I'm sat here with a big daft grin on my face too

#4788 8 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

But, who cares what I think. Move on to the next post..

Good point well made

#4803 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I find the transition from simulated CMYK on RGB monitors to actually printed CMYK usually results in a 15% drop in brightness. So, I generally pump it up by that much. YMMV.

Wow is anything straight forward in this pinball manufacturing lark

#4829 8 years ago

Holy crap take a look at this

We need this xenomorph

( nicked from innovations thread )

1 week later
#4921 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I find it a bit disturbing

Ha what a drama queen

#4926 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Been a ton of work to get it to this stage, allow us to be excited to see things "for really reals"!

Disclaimer I've been in the pub all afternoon, but just agreed out loud with that statement.

Enjoy

#4977 8 years ago

The questions from our side are: should we show what we have, can we show what we have and will we show what we have.

I wouldn't bother a lot of the spotlight will understandably be on Ghostbusters.

Let Alien have its day when it's complete

1 week later
#5048 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll try and keep up with this thread, I'm not deactivating my account like some people, but enough is enough.

Totally understandable glad you've not taken the deactivate option

#5084 8 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Though I've been a pinside member for quite a few years, I hardly ever post anything. I only do so when I feel like I can contribute something useful in a constructive, positive way. It's for that same reason that I enjoy your contributions to this site so much, Aurich. In my opinion, you're a level-headed contributor who tries to be consciously aware of their own biases, and who isn't afraid to explore other perspectives in order to expand their own. That, combined with the fact you provide us with a regular view behind the curtain of pinball manufacturing, makes you a valued member of this community.
I can understand your decision to cut back on drama. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people like myself on this site that would miss your extensive input. Hopefully this post might motivate other lurkers to speak up and put the vocal and rather non-social posters in proper context. They're most likely an even smaller fraction of this community than you realize. Thanks Aurich, and all the other regulars, for adding so much value to this site. Don't feel discouraged when faced with idiocy!

Good post. +1

#5113 8 years ago

1 week later
#5169 8 years ago

Better angle

#5175 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Looks super coo, but can it possibly be to scale? That thing looks massive to be on the playfield somewhere.

It would certainly be one hell of a feature it it was to scale.

Looks cleverly sculpted to allow a ball guide round the back then presumably quite a hollow inside for the extending ball grab feature?

What ever it looks freaking badass

#5177 8 years ago

So what would I like to see in an Aliens based pinball machine?

Quoted from Zampinator:

That magnet holds the ball still, & then the inner mouth comes out & snatches the ball into its mouth.

#5238 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

You should read the thread.....

In fairness this thread has turned into a bit of a monster with the various juicy bits scattered far and wide.

#5248 8 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Yea I suppose your right, sounds like just some stuff now that I read it again. It would be awsome if the LE had all wireforms, make it look higher end. Personally I would prefer that to el wire.

I'd happily pay a premium for all wireforms

4 weeks later
#5390 8 years ago

Hi everyone,
Just a quick update for you.
As you know, we showed an exclusive Alien gameplay video at the Texas Pinball Festival last month.
The game has moved forwards significantly since then. We are currently finishing a NEW video and will be shortly submitting it to FOX for approval to show this in public.
If we can show this on 'Alien Day' then we will. If not, then we will push for it to be shown as soon after as possible.
We will keep you updated as to our progress.

Thanks for the update. I think this thread was in danger of bursting a blood vessel or something

#5392 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

ALIEN_chestburster1280_(resized).jpg

They really have some fucking brilliant material to work with

1 week later
#5511 7 years ago

Bit late but this was Ben Heck celabrating Alien Day. Genius

#5556 7 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I can only imagine Andrew checking in on Pinside, clicking on the Aliens forum and see that it went to talk about a porn star tape. He's probably thinking WTF! LOL

Only Andrew can put this thread back on track

#5585 7 years ago

Cheers for the update dude. Enjoy street fighter V

1 week later
#5651 7 years ago

It makes me think a pinball machine isn't really worth the hassle to a licensor . The amount of man hours this must have taken up for Fox is crazy

#5698 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Now prepare for a lot of "thanks for the update" posts....

time to do an Aurich and re visit this thread in mid August then it dosent sour. Heighway unticked on my forum options should do the trick

4 months later
#7579 7 years ago

1 week later
#7912 7 years ago
#8012 7 years ago

Oh bollocks

Way to anticlimax a countdown

#8013 7 years ago

Working via this link

http://www.heighwaypinball.com/

#8449 7 years ago

First glimpse of Jonesy ( photo nicked from Aussiearcade)

Love it

IMG_0871 (resized).JPGIMG_0871 (resized).JPG

Edit

Just read on the onscreen rules. Hit orange shots and avoid blue. Nice and simples to follow. My kind of rules

#8572 7 years ago

Photo below is from pinball news http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/index.html

Anyway I just love the pride that's evident on everyone's faces . Great photo

IMG_0875 (resized).JPGIMG_0875 (resized).JPG

#8579 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Really cool that the team chimes in with updates on art/sound/code .

Absolutely.

#8587 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

How friendly is the game for public location? Language/gore...

Hopefully totally unsuitable.

#8668 7 years ago

IMG_0877 (resized).JPGIMG_0877 (resized).JPG

#8687 7 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Looks like heighway is investing in advertising. That's good
Was watching the surfing tour and a pin ad comes on it

Ha I thought the same thing

2 months later
#9639 7 years ago

How about a blood splatter graphic at the end rather than Jonesy exploding?

Love. Love. Love the audio

5 months later
#14925 6 years ago

Sad to read familiar pre order pinsiders bailing but totally understandable

If the new investors are serious they may be just better refunding everyone and get people off their backs whilst they regroup and take the time they need to fix this thing.Gain some credibility back at the same time

That's prob me just being nieve. I know what I'd do in their situation

#14926 6 years ago

People will still buy this title if they get it right and was readily available from a distributer

Period.

3 weeks later
#15396 6 years ago

Last I heard with regard my deposit refund was 5th may " up to 60 days " .Subsequent emails have been ignored
My card issuer have been in touch. They will start the chargeback process next Tuesday when the advised 60 day elapses. Ironically they informed me this process may take 60 days to clear but will show up immediately on my card as pending . Can't fault them

2 months later
#16444 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm out for now, got my refund with in an hour from nitro and I've really just lost interest in this all together, its a dream theme and I do want the game but I'm gonna wait till its in stock and proven to be a good working pin with proper support, its gotten foolish, I emailed Morgan for an updated and it was all fluff, I'm buying something else for now. I really hope it all comes together.

Snap. I sold my mint STTNG to make room for my imminent Alien. Fast forward to the present and just bought a STTNG to fill my Alien sized space.
A lesson there somewhere!

1 month later
#17203 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

sorry, not complete.
perhaps the following will help those who dont mind thinking a little.
here is something for you to ponder. a small part of the bigger picture. presented is a crude drawing of a hypothetical playfield. consider it an example of 'what could have been done differently'. compare with alien. see if you can find a particular design element that is missing from the current pf. i hope i didnt make it too obvious. ignore the purple one, thats just an extra shot off the back of the UR flipper.
its nothing mechanical. its not a software glitch. its a design choice. it is this missing element that impacts the games playbility, especially when it comes to accomplishing certain game objectives.
what is it that is lacking in the games current design?
how does that affect reaching certain objectives?
what game metrics indicate/confirm this is a problem?
what software adjustments have already been made to try and alleviate the problem?
are their existing geometry issues that [if uncorrected] only compound the problem?
did changes from Nordmans original concept improve or worsen the problem?
what can be done today [if anything] to 'fix' things?
thats a lot of questions to be discussed and answered [many unrelated to this image, so dont dwell on it too much]. Still, this never-to-be 'redesign' would have taken the pressure off all of them.
disclaimer1: software/sound truly top notch. if the game plays as it stands, i can see how owners might enjoy playing alien. but, when it comes to overall playability, its just not going to be as fun as it coulda/shoulda been due to design.
disclaimer2: all information required to determine, present, and answer most of the above questions can be found in this thread and by observing youtube videos of gameplay. anyone could have done it. dont make it out like im holding back a conclusion that nobody else could have reached. just a matter of time/effort to put it all together in a cause/effect analysis.

What the hell are you going on about.

1 week later
#17818 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Where r the other 20 games that CT received?

Maybe pinside is the insignificant minority Gary Stern alured too after all ?

3 weeks later
#18599 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

For anyone who thinks there is a risk of them losing their money and/or this game not going to get made en masse, please let me fix your logic for you. Here's why this thing is 100% going to get into the hands of those who want it.. The product is good, and if anyone has to bail out the manufacturing they will get it for a song and make a boatload of cash out of it. When these things fail, the guy who always ends up making the money is the last guy who comes along with enough cash to bail out the last guys who tried, and he gets it for next to nothing.
So Andrew failed, and now the investors are running it. If THEY run out of cash, the next in line will bail them out, and be one step closer to final production, and if they fail, it will be even closer, etc. Hell, I will be in that line if the project gets recycled enough times. Who wouldn't take on a fully licenced, coded, shipping machine that looks this good??
Everyone will get their machine and/or their money. The only variable is time.

Way over simplistic overview. Agree if they go bust someone can pick up the assets for a song. But if they don’t honour the liabilities ie suppliers / employees / original buyers good luck salvaging anything. Would you be happy buying in knowing fellow pinheads got raped?

1 week later
#18802 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Or you just pass on buying an adult themed pin based on a gory R-rated movie
I find this kind of "censorship code" ridiculous, and it's a waste of programmers time. Stick to family themed pins. Not all pins/movies/media/etc are made for everyone.

Ha. My 12yr old niece just got called a ‘dickwad’ by Arnie on my new T2 pin ( alternative pinsound rom installed ). We just burst out laughing as didn’t expect it at all

3 months later
#20374 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Day 1 (10/20/14) order direct through HP and this is the first good news I've directly received since the game was announced.
"I am contacting you today with potentially good news. We have had a customer drop out from the production schedule of the Alien Pinball LE. This means that we will be able to get a machine to you sooner rather than later. If you would like to take advantage of this situation that would be great as we can fulfil your order sooner rather than later.
If you could please contact me promptly if you would like to take advantage of this situation. The trim colour that we will be able to offer you is green as this is the colour that the machine has been produced in. We can certainly add your unique LE number to the machine. To fully take advantage of this opportunity we would require that the remaining balance be settled for the machine plus the shipping.
Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you promptly and your decision on this opportunity."

Tricky one. Escrow ? Ship first pay later ?

#20376 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Got the same BS email

Mmmmm my first thought was I wonder how many people got this one off unique opportunity email

Will someone just stick a fork in it

4 weeks later
#20707 6 years ago
Quoted from Olaa:

Look and enjoy

Wow. Talk about all in

#20751 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Time to storm the factory in wales guys.
In 2007 i had a very diffulcult fragile purchase from an auction house in London. After a month of phone calls and emails i said F-it. Got on a plane and picked it up in person. Saved 2300 vat, which paid for trip.

Go on I m curious. What did you buy at the auction?

#21105 5 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Ouch.
I lost my job but whatever, I can get another one.

Indeed Ouch!

Good luck to youself and any other ex employees in finding new employment

Special shout to Morgan who I personally gave loads of grief to in my efforts obtaining a refund.

Hope you all go on to better things

#21106 5 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Indeed Ouch!
Good luck to youself and any other ex employees in finding new employment
Special shout to Morgan who I personally gave loads of grief to in my efforts obtaining a refund.
Hope you all go on to better things

#21267 5 years ago
Quoted from AndrewH:

– as I will defend myself and my integrity.

Definition of Integrity - the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.

Good luck with that one

#21348 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

RobT & Rarehero drawn back again to post on this subject? It's nice to see when valued members return to contribute again. Many here miss your voices of reason.

This is so true. The "killing the messenger" attitude needs to change. When I was paid in full on Alien & Kim was raising questions about Andrew & HP's credit status, I just flat out did not want to hear it at the time. Didn't want to believe it. Many of us were wearing blinders & had too much invested for this project to fail. Look at any of the other failed projects from other companies. We just get wrapped up in our own little bubble & it can be hard to see the forest for the trees. The mob mentality if you will.
It took time, but thankfully those posts from various pinsiders waving red flags finally began to sink in. Without people questioning what was going on & posting about it, many more people would have lost their money. So if I down-voted the whistleblowers in the past, I'd like to formally apologize. My rose colored glasses were pretty thick at the time.
But now that the preorder model is dead, and many startups have crashed & burned, I think the community can move past all of this bullshit. Not having a risky financial stake in these projects will make a world of difference. Lessons have been learned, that's for sure. Just get back to enjoying pinball.
PS: Andrew is a daft lying deceitful muppet. I'll never forget the way you duped me on the phone & tricked me into sending my balance payment. Karma is a bitch, and I take great pleasure in knowing she'll follow you wherever you go.

Well said

#21636 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Everything Andrews says may be used against him for future litigation - these allegations are serious enough to warrant a serious investigation.
May be best for Dave to stop going public until he finds legal advice. I know he is broke and lawyers are not cheap. But I would be happy to contribute.
Hell, I am ready to match the cost of a first consultation myself!
Say up to $200?

Good man

I think someone on pinballinfo is going to set up a gofund page or whatever it’s called. Will post link if no one else does. Dave sure deserves a little help at this time

#21641 5 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Daves Go Fund Me:
https://www.gofundme.com/dave-sanders-fund
Hopefully it will go past the £1000 mark and a lot further..

Nice one for sorting. Donation sent.

Hopefully this will give Dave the little boost he deserves from the community

#21707 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Alright, story time, strap in.
By the time I was really doing the playfield seriously the freedom lockdown had already happened. I was told I could use the assets I was given, and that was it, and if I did something 'original' it would be rejected and create problems. So I basically squeezed blood from a stone and did the best I could with what I had.
I should note that this was my first playfield design, and I never saw an assembled white wood, because one didn't exist, not to mention I'm here in Southern California and the game development was in Wales. So it was pretty challenging, I was flying a bit blind. If I did another playfield design I'd definitely lean on my first experience, and hopefully be better at some things. But what that means is hard to say, keep in mind that aside from the Expo prototype I've still never stood in front of the machine, let alone played it and gotten a sense of what might have helped players. I don't think I've really finished learning even the first lessons, if that makes sense.
Well lesson one, don't do remote pinball development.
Anyways, I figured Fox would come back with comments, and that at least in the give and take I'd get some sense of things and could hopefully push some things in directions. I wanted to see some more biomechanical stuff, you can see where I was trying to experiment with the slingshot plastics. But I didn't think I could really draw my own and have it approved with the way Andrew was telling me things.
What happened instead was Fox sat on the design for 2 months (well it seemed they did, remember I wasn't allowed to talk to them, and can only count on what Andrew told me, and I don't trust him for shit anymore, so who knows). And then the word came back, approved, don't need to change a thing.
Blink blink.
Okay? So first thing I'm thinking is "shit, they don't want a single dinky change? What else could I have gotten away with?!" Like, I was bracing for a long ass back and forth, seems like that's what happened with all the Stern stories I'd heard. I know that was the story with GOT, Keith Elwin has talked about Maiden wanting all kinds of changes. It was weird.
It's funny, but I was almost disappointed they approved it, if that makes sense. I thought there'd be a process, and we could grow it during it. And then I finally did see the game at Expo, and I could see what was covered by ramps or whatever that I couldn't before. And I would have loved to have a stab at revising some things, nothing specific I can name, just take some pics, sit down with it all, see what I could push a little further. But Andrew said nope, we can't risk them throwing a wrench in things, it's approved, it's done.
So that was basically that. And look, I'm just gonna be blunt about this part, around this point in time a lot of bullshit was becoming clear. This was before Andrew stabbed me in the back by hiring that artist without telling me to do that weird off model comic book backglass, that was some final straw shit, but even before that our relationship was dissolving. It's clear now I was just getting more of the 'real Andrew', but I didn't realize at the time just how f$&^d things really were, just that I was unhappy and it was getting shitty.
Keep in mind I'm in this for a couple years worth of time now. Not just doing art, but on weekly calls, trying to help manage the US team, in our Slack channels every day doing what I could to help this game come along. It wasn't just a 'hired gun' thing, do a couple photoshoppy things and call it a day, I was really emotionally invested. And I hadn't been paid a dime. I was out my costs from buying reference models, I had a Big Chap bust, I had a box full of toys and shit (this is when I thought I would be allowed to do my own original work), I bought my own plane tickets and hotel rooms for Expo two years in a row when I was there talking in front of audiences as a Heighway rep, it was starting to feel like some bullshit. My contract says that stuff should have been paid for, but I think everyone knows how that went.
Anyways, the blunt part was I was done. F— all this, I'm tired, I'm burned out, I'm not seeing shit for this, I'm not even getting to do my own process, WTF was I doing? And I checked out. I did what I could to see the rest of the game through, at this point I was just in it to support the US team, love those guys. I was the one who created the airlock LCD concept, I hated the stupid Queen Coffee Can. After Expo I fought to kill it and won that battle. I did the LE backglass, that Andrew then tried to screw me on by having that guy basically redraw it. And then of course it all went stupid when the LE switched to having the big LCD by default and the full backglass art became useless.
People might remember that I just stopped posting in this thread for months. I drained the thread, I couldn't deal, I was just depressed by it all, and bound by an NDA that meant I couldn't even speak up. I give two shits about any of that now, if Andrew is reading this I wouldn't wipe my ass with the contract you never honored. But at the time I was trying to stay professional in a jacked up situation.
Anyways, that's probably enough typing. Here, I went back through my old photo shoots, I've got tons of stuff like this. This was that bust I bought for reference, with polyvinyl slime dripping off it, was going to use stuff like this to paint over in Photoshop. Only thing that ever survived from all of that is if you check the LE art carefully there's Kane in his spacesuit amongst the eggs, that's an action figure, heh.

So knowing now how full of shit Heighway was it makes you wonder if he ever even submitted the playfield art?

Maybe Fox won’t notice the little internal details like erm.......the playfield

#21734 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

See my other story some who knows how many pages back about actually talking to Fox finally. Got some stuff for the LE backglass cleared. It's all legit, the license is, or was, real, they saw it all. Like I said before, was an easy phone call, I handled months of bullshit in like 10 minutes, no joke. Andrew was a control freak, should have just let me do my job, I'm used to working with big brands. Not saying I'm the damn Fox whisperer, who knows what would have happened, but at the end of the day Fox just wants the product to look good and right, and so do we, I'm sure we could have come to reasonable agreements about how to make that happen.

Cool, that looks pretty legit .

I remember back in the day being all excited as you was teasing the playfield art reveal then along came rubber ducks who gate crashed the party with that crappy flyer image

Was really mad at the time. Ha

1 week later
#22088 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Has this been posted already? Playboy.
I was going to say the game is a bit stop and go but decided it must be world's first stop and come game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=43&v=xAfVUHro3sQ

Andrew Heighway was seemingly totally unhinged. Who the fuck would buy that in 2018. Unbelievable

#22096 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Have you been to a pinball show? While it is not going to appeal to most people there are a ton of 45-65 year olds that have a basement or pinball room that is half arcade, half burlesque show. While it wouldn't have had a lot of mainstream appeal more people would have been into then you think. Not saying it's the right thing to make in todays society but once again, have you seen some of the people at pinball shows? Half of the pinball meet and greets at TPF are held at the wild pitch which is girls serving you food in their underwear. Seems pretty odd to me and I'm not sure how it's not a health code violation but to each their own. Heighway Pinball used Twin Peaks as their reveal venue at Expo so it can't be much of a surprise that Andrew thought Playboy was a good idea.

Nostalaga is one thing but that thing is just classless. But each to their own

4 weeks later
#22337 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Welp, this showed up today

Made up you at least get the choice to stick or twist

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,799 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drinkduffbeers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=drinkduffbeers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.