pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1718 8 years ago

Has Heighway said if they are showing anything at Expo? Is Aurich coming to Expo? (Your stalker wants to know. Muwahahahaha. )

#1743 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Bottom line, just saying the direction consumers are allowing new pinball manufacturers to go, sucks IMO (and apparently just my opinion). We should be demanding regular updates of progress and manufacturers taking pre-order dollars should be more transparent. I really hate to see Heighway end up in a situation where they're potentially using Alien pre-order dollars to put out Full Throttle orders paid for long ago and then needing an outside investor to come in at some point in order to get Alien into production. That's not good for pinball IMO.

Whoa. It looks like you're venting about a unrelated situation, which is alright, but take it easy. I fully expect they'll have something to show at expo and if not, I'll at least get to see Full Throttle. They are too many games out there to be worried about a new one coming. I'll let Heighway do the worrying about getting the game out and I'll just revel in the games that are out today.

I didn't mean to stir the pot with such a simple question.

#1819 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's fair to say that Heighway is a new company, and is allowed the growing pains and mis-steps, but also should get the slack that new companies get too. You have to announce early sometimes, you have to hype a little. It's part of building up a following and a brand when you're an upstart in a market with an established base.

Yeah it's understandable that a little pre-release hype was needed. I hope that Heighway can get to the point to where Stern is at where they can announce the game and a couple months later release it. I like that feeling. I think releasing Full Throttle and seeing pics of the games in homes has built more hype honestly.

#1833 8 years ago

That sounds like a great idea to be able to beat one movie and head into the next one.

#1940 8 years ago

Talking about the movies, I saw the first one as a little boy of about 9 or 10. I checked it out of the library (remember doing that?) and really enjoyed the thrill ride. I didn't watch the second till many years later when I bought the Alien Anthology on DVD.

It would be a great surprise if they the game at expo. I'm really getting pumped up.

#1956 8 years ago

This has probably been stated before but LE art package also has different art on the playfield as well, right?

#1969 8 years ago

Great playfield swapping video. I love the guy just standing in the background holding the phone out, lol. When I saw that crate I thought, Alien playfield reveal!

I am seriously thinking of buying Full Throttle now. I was thinking the playfield on the Alien LE was something specific to the LE.

#1976 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Absolutely! 3 minutes is about as long as it took for a PS3 to go from boot to disc-based gameplay. Kinda crazy to think that changing entire pinball games out is as just time-consuming as swapping out console game discs.
The video also highlights why there are those (admittedly not pretty) metal plates on the front of the cabinet. This is where the back corners of the playfield rails impact the cabinet when sliding the playfield out to the floor.

I noticed that playfield banging onto the cabinet as well. Take it a little easy there, Private Pyle.

#1992 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I made the version of the video I had to have as soon as I saw it:

lololol...So great. So great.

#2028 8 years ago

I can imagine hooks on the wall to hang the beautiful playfields.

#2040 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Are You Being Served

WWHHHAAAA?! There are other fans of this besides me?!

#2078 8 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Sometimes better to not meet your heroes.

So true.

#2091 8 years ago

There was already a South Park, why would someone make another one? I'm not against it but it seems there are so many other themes that don't have a pinball machine.

#2107 8 years ago

I've never played a Sega South Park but it seems to be popular machine. I didn't think I heard many negatives about it. Like I said, there are so many other themes, even animated ones. Futurama, Rick and Morty, Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill, Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

2 weeks later
#2200 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not really related to the pin since we're not including the third film, but I loved this so much:
https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/631150895648997376

The third film isn't very good but I didn't see the movie for many years later and I still knew that scene. I want to say it is an iconic scene in a forgettable movie.

#2210 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I like the 3rd film actually. It was beset with problems, and a lot of lost opportunities, but leaving those things aside I still think it works. It's the 4th one that's so disappointing, it just didn't work. Has some cool moments, but as a whole movie it's bleh.
That said, I'm not upset we're leaving the third film out of the game. Trivia that people here probably know already, but if you didn't, Williams' Bram Stoker's Dracula game was originally going to be Alien 3.

I like Fincher a lot and can definitely see his style in the movie. When put up next to 4, yeah, it's better but when put up against the first two it falls a little short. I never watched the AvP movies though so don't really have much of an opinion on those. Prometheus was interesting and I liked the detail but if you hoping to see Aliens running around most people were disappointed.

I didn't know that about BSD. That's really interesting. Sometimes I wish there was a wikipedia like site for pinball machine history. There are times after playing a machine I would like to know how they came up with an idea and there's just no info.

#2223 8 years ago

I'm perfectly fine with waiting to see anything till Expo, if you wanted to know. Less than two weeks left till then.

#2229 8 years ago

KANEDA!! Sorry just watched Akira again.

#2249 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I thought the answer was maybe, but probably not....

So same chance of seeing Rob Zombie.

#2268 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

.I think it would be good for Heighway to sell a shitpile of their current title from a fiscal standpoint...

I could see a lot of people waiting for Alien and then buying Full Throttle as a kit.

#2327 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All I'm going to say is that if anyone was hoping for a backglass full of actor head shots they're going to be disappointed.

You mean no Tom Skerritt or Harry Dean Stanton. Mega Fail.

#2421 8 years ago

The art is just what I expected which isn't a bad thing. The egg image looks like the standard VHS box art from long ago. The border, though, has some nice detail. Overall very nice and right for the standard edition.
One thing I did notice was with the emphasis on the cabinet being interchangeability, it doesnt have full art on the sides of the cabinet. It loses a little wow because of that and I wonder if future LEs would have that option.

#2507 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The game already has capability for 2 discrete outputs already, correct? They introduced the back box screens because they were listening to the feedback. Larger screen makes sense for attract AND gameplay....why not interactive animations on the big screen, and key gameplay stuff on the playfield?
Anyone that says they don't look at WOZ's screen during play is simply lying.....the animations and info are very immersive......I'm excited Heighway has embraced current technology

I'm hoping this is how the big LCD is implemented. Use the smaller screen and the one in the playfield for gameplay info and use the big screen for film clips and awesome attract modes. That way if someone doesn't buy the big screen and opts for the translight, they aren't missing anything important but definitely something that adds to the attractiveness. If the big screen just mirrors the other two LCDs, I think I will opt out.

#2545 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I think we do, but how will it look? Will the LCD screen complement the art frame around it? It is just difficult too chose if you are not fully aware of the options.

That's why I'm waiting. No need to preorder

#2605 8 years ago

https://img-f.pinside.com/201510/2748492/465227-i.jpg

Could the dot above the translight be a camera? I thought there was talk of online connectivity and maybe the camera could be for streaming purposes. One of these days someone is going to make a machine that can connect via Wi-Fi where high scores and gameplay can be directly uploaded. I see it coming.

#2638 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Programming dots on a DMD looks like a pain in the ass to me and at this point it is an anachronism that few designers/programmers in the world understand how to work with.

I would agree with this. Just look at Stern and how they use ripped video instead of actual dedicated animation. The art of the DMD is sadly already dead but their were some good years.

#2656 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Should slap a few sharks on there and call it Moto Shark, who doesn't love sharks?

Aurich had suggested earlier a Sci-Fi motorcycle them for FullT and I would be so into that. Just a wacky combination of themes with some neat art would make that game so much more appealing. Zombie Racing or Underwater motorcycles.

#2671 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Not much talk about the sound. We know Harry is doing it but that's about it. Any new info on this? Any narrators or voice actors? Any pinball related call outs? Will the game have original sound from the movies?

That's a good question. It wouldn't bother me if there were no pinball related call outs. I like it if they use existing sound clips creatively in a game.

1 week later
#2698 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

it would be cool to not hear cute one-liners in this game actually. these are sci-fi/horror movies. if i want to laugh I watch comedies.

Well the tone between the first and second movies is pretty different, which makes the idea of making the two movies seperate in the game genius. That way both types of people can be satisfied since the first movie is more a quiet, menacing tone and the second is more 80s action full of one-liners.

#2729 8 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

maybe heighway can work this into one of the modes as well!
» YouTube video

Quoted from Aurich:

Damn, that's pretty metal.

I can't understand the announcer but I imagine that was what he said.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

Move over, Randy Johnson:
» YouTube video

I'm sure the umpire said, "ummm...ball?"

3 weeks later
#2928 8 years ago

I played the big screen at Expo. But if I get a Heighway pin it will be with the small backbox screen. If the big screen did something different than the playfield screen, it would be a must have. I especially liked the idea of an attract mode with the translight art but with subtle animations like mist moving or the egg pulsing.

1 week later
#3004 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's all big boxes full of electricity and ball bearings guys, don't get too worked up over it. Come argue in our thread about Java applets if you want some real drama!

Link?

1 week later
#3091 8 years ago

It's nice to see others have the same opinion as me on the big screen. If (When?) I buy this, I'll probably opt for the small screen. There's nothing stopping me from upgrading later if Heighway gives me a good reason.

#3127 8 years ago
Quoted from jonninemonic:

It's quite strange to me that Stern didn't jump onto this when they changed to the new Spike platform anyway. I guess they have a gazillion DMD's on the shelves that they need to get rid of first.

This makes sense. When they switched from score reels, they still made games with them to get rid of the stock they had.

#3128 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's fine, I'm just saying FTH is not a sales juggernaut hit or else people would list it on wish list and in their collection, the fact that 2x more people have WWE on their wish list tells me that FTH is not wished or dreamed about when Pinheads go to sleep. I know a guy who owned one and sold it in for a big loss after couple months. Not saying it's bad but if was OMG the best game I'd think he'd have wanted to hold onto it.
I agree FTH is more about getting the wheels in motion, but don't tell me it's more popular than AMH even, because it's bearly talked about.
Alien on the other hand is a much better theme, but still hasn't gained the traction of Predator even, I think we need art and gameplay video before people get too excited about it. Right now it's a cool theme but other than that I'd like to see the gameplay and DMD animations etc..

Just added Full Throttle to my wish list. Hope that makes you happy.

I think most people just don't bother with wishlists. Sorry to break the bad news to ya.

#3151 8 years ago

I am always amazed at how small the pinball community is, so I could see motorcycle racing being bigger than pinball. Now motorcycle racing enthuasists that care about pinball, that is an even smaller subset. But I don't have to like motorcycle racing to love Full Throttle. Done.

Has the question been asked about the music? Will it be the OST or mixed with some rocking music?

#3212 8 years ago

With regards to theme desirability, Stern has 8 themes they are making at this moment. GOT, Kiss, WNBJM, WWE, TWD, Mustang, Star Trek, and Metallica. I am currently only interested in one theme (GOT), maybe two (WWE), if we are looking solely at theme. But I have no desire to own either one of the games when looking at the whole package. Heighway has two themes with FTH and Alien and it's true that on the surface Alien is the only theme I would be interested in but after playing Full Throttle, I'm seriously considering trying to make that my first NIB.

I like the idea of the Ghostbusters but this modular system where I could buy Full Throttle and then buy Alien at a reduced price is really intriguing to me. So looking at a theme to gauge whether interest will be there is a falsehood. A good pinball machine is the sum of the parts.

#3273 8 years ago

A couple of new faces are showing up. Did Heighway have another party where they showed off Alien?

#3276 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

So I'm a virtually day one le pre-order...probably one of the first 10....before the Nordman blowout....before Aurich....before any of the hype for a pin that will be well over a year, year and a half late for delivery.
I haven't bitched or complained not even one time...Always have been a defender and pumper of this company.
If I were at the helm of this company, I would offer a small consolation to those like myself by way of maybe a free backbox screen or least a discount on one.
I don't agree with the mentality that we should just accept delays and broken promises because that's just the "industry standard"

Your consolation prize is the lesson you've learned on preordering. Knowledge! It's better than materialistic things.

#3277 8 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

No. Artwork isn't approved and Heighway isn't Dutch.

I believe some people have seen the toys and playfield at the open house and off Andrew's phone. That's what I meant by another party.

#3280 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I'm looking forward to Alien, but I wish more concrete info was being shared. The website for Heighway, as others have said, I find confusing as hell and not very helpful.
Cointaker was rumored to be their US distributor, I contacted them weeks ago, only to get an email that discussions were still ongoing.
I hope some official news starts getting released ASAP

I don't mind the waiting. It gives me time to save up money and I may place an order for Full Throttle before Alien anyway.

I do agree the website isn't the best. If they had the answers to basic questions, it would be helpful to people who just learned of the game and are curious. The faults of the website are probably the product of a new company trying to allocate funds and time in the right direction. I'm sure they'll get it fixed soon.

#3281 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Just my opinion...I run a couple small businesses. Anytime I feel that I've inconvenienced a customer, i'm quick to send them a small refund or free upgrade. I've never even been asked, just take it upon myself to throw out tokens and it always seems to come back my way twofold by building up a loyal customer base. I wouldn't expect my customers to "learn some lesson" because they trusted my word and then I under delivered.

I didn't hear the initial announcement but all sorts of media set a tentative date and then move it because of delays. Video Games, movies, and even pinball aren't immune to it. Stern, the biggest manufacturer, is having supply issues from what I hear and GOTs aren't coming out as fast as people would like. If you wanted to pay for a game and take it home same day, maybe you should have waited for the dealer to have some in stock. Otherwise the definition of preordering is paying for a game before it's ready and waiting. I don't mean to sound harsh but it's the truth.

#3293 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Cointaker is the Official U.S. Distributor for Heighway Pinball.

LOL I didn't say what you quoted me for. That was tacshose.

#3443 8 years ago

I think I'm gonna like this ignored user comment stuff.

#3637 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Just curious for those that are ordering the LE if the lime green trim would end up being a detriment in the future if you ended up buying future "kits" for it to swap in? I would think that a black cabinet with black nickel or chrome trim would be a safer option as it wouldn't clash with future titles.-I suppose trim can always be swapped out later though.

I know this has been mentioned previously but I'm also hoping for a chrome glass frame and chrome flipper button protectors and start button protectors (I'm not sure what the proper name for these are). I'm a little reluctant to order a Full Throttle till something is set in stone for that. The grey just looks a little cheap and I'm not a fan of green. Chrome would be a nice universal look for the standard.

#3640 8 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Chrome... Nah. Grained stainless steel...

That would be fine too. I just want some shiny metal. lol

After watching Aurich's 5 by 5 quote, I started watching this Aliens behind the scenes. It's funny seeing some of these actors like the one that played Rodriguez that are completely different from the character they played and then there's Apone who was a real Green Beret and sounds just as hilarious and over the top as his character.

#3706 8 years ago

Someone please explain the "Fly the Friendly Skies" graffiti.

#3720 8 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

image_(resized).jpeg

Thanks

So far I'm liking it. It was not what I was expecting but it's dark and the elements blend well together.

I hope the screen ends up mixing well with playfield, similar to Captain Nemo's screen. I realize the image they chose could change but the green of the screen on the flyer looks a little out of place with the purple and red of the playfield. That's just a small suggestion. Looks like it has a ton of modes. I wonder if the range finder graphic will play into one of the modes.

#3722 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno where that image came from, something they put together for that flyer, it has nothing to do with anything that actually shows up on the screen, so just ignore it.

Ignored!

#3728 8 years ago

What was behind the decision of the scanlines on the purple mist of the planet? I notice they are at the bottom of the playfield too but I figured that's maybe because we're supposed to be looking through the range finder or something.

#3777 8 years ago

Is the red area a reference to something? Reminds me of Ghostbusters 2's river of slime.

#3926 8 years ago

Are the grid lines a reference to something in the movies? I didn't notice them when I first looked at the picture.

I still don't know what the red puddle is but if it's gonna be mostly covered, oh well.

I hope there is a motion tracker mode. Maybe make certain shots that are lit.

#3991 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Agreed. And I hope we get to hear some of those unique sounds associated with the Nostromo's computers too when the pin is finished:
» YouTube video

It would be neat to hear those sounds when you first turned on the game or when you press start, though if it happens too often some people may find it irritating.

#4240 8 years ago

I listened to the C2C podcast last night. Thanks Aurich for voicing your opinions on the Spider-Man VE. I agreed with most everything you said. It was also great hearing your reasoning behind the Alien playfield. I think in my mind I had it pictured more terrestrial or industrial but you're take is very interesting and hasn't swayed my interest away from this machine.

#4285 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Even if that ends up being the case then its not that bad of thing as I would prefer Alien is treated like a survival pin (TWD) where I am in the position of being a crew member or a marine and in my own battle, clips are important sure but I don't really need to see any of the actors, its going to be interesting to see how this all comes together. You know in the video game world this happens a lot and it might cool to implement this style more into pinball, use the alien theme but make your own story, create something OG and still have the power of the liscense at the same time, even Blade Runner which I'm hoping is made some day but would it be so bad to have a new story, your a Blade Runner in that world with new replicants to hunt etc. Thats a lot more freedom for the designer and everyone invovled. Just a thought.

Sure, this could work but you don't want to base an original story on the movies. Call it something else like Alien: Colonial Marine or something to differentiate it from the movies.

Many people have been waiting for the movies themselves to be represented as a pinball machine and if you waste the movie license on an original story, it might create an animosity from the customers kind of what TWD did.

My opinion is if you can't get access to all of the necessary assets of a license then don't do it. There are so many other licenses to choose from that surely one would give you the assets you desire. If they don't, do an original theme. Pay the money you would use on a license on a great artist instead.

I don't need the cast represented on the playfield but clips and callouts from the movie need to be used. Please make it so.

#4530 8 years ago

I was checking out Dan Mumford's site. It may be too late but maybe you could have him draw something for the LE.

Get Away From Her, You BitchGet Away From Her, You Bitch
LV-426LV-426

#4533 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, not happening, but those are definitely cool.

I figured. I just thought I'd share an awesome artist.

He does live in the UK so maybe Andrew would keep him in mind for something in the future.

#4537 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

+1. Looks pretty sweet. Not sure how willing someone with his portfolio would be likely to do the job for 'free' and then a cut of machine sales though, unless he's either a pinhead or very comfortable or both.
Think Aurich mentioned that's how he's being compensated.

Yeah I don't know if he'd be interested either but it's always good to be aware of artists that are close and interested in the same subjects. Mumford seems to be a fan of movies and games so it wouldn't be a stretch to see him do a pinball.

#4542 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You shouldn't tell anyone you aren't monetarily compensated. This hobby sees it as a negative. Both Lloyd and I can attest to that

You also have to work on it all hours of the day or you're just treating it like a day job which is a negative. lol

Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, not to get too deep into this, but I have a day job, I'm the creative director for Ars Technica, so I can "afford" to work on passion projects. This one is taking up a lot of my time though, it's a bit of a juggle. I manage.
The issue with artists like the one above isn't paying them though, it's getting it all past the licensing department. There are a ton of great artists out there, and definitely better illustrators than me. People who do that for their bread and butter. But if it's not part of the style guide a lot of companies are gonna say "nope".
I'm a designer, I specialize in a lot of things, but I'm also a true creative director, in the sense that I oversee a lot of things. I spend a lot of time in sales calls working out ad campaigns for companies like Lexus or LG etc. I design user interfaces. I worry about things like ad viewability.
That's why I got into doing pinball art, it's a nice change from my day job work. And why I'm not a fan of the whole license thing. I deal with big brands all the time as part of my job, I don't need lawyers in my hobby. So after Alien I'm done with licenses. Just too much stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the game, pinball, or fun.
But this is a killer license, so just gonna ride it all out until we've got a great game at the end.

I'm curious. When a guy does art prints of a licensed property, surely he has to have permission and approval as well, right? I just wonder what the difference is between art print and pinball playfield in the eyes of a licensor.

#4546 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You're missing the other part of the conversation, I see a %, this isn't charity, but I don't get paid unless the game ships. Meaning that when it comes to "all in risk" I'm in a lot deeper than anyone preordering.

Honestly most of that stuff is just done under the radar. I would be surprised if even a good % is actually licensed. Some of it is for sure, but a lot isn't.
One thing if you're doing some art prints, another if you're building a pin. As we saw with Predator.

Do you think if you pushed harder and had more time for back and forth or paid more for the license, they would grant the ability to do hand drawn art for a movie license? I'm just trying to get a sense of how this licensing business works. I'm sure money talks in most cases.

#4568 8 years ago

I kinda want the Punisher figure...

#4570 8 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Here's something for the weekend...
Mechanism testing for Alien Pinball - here we see an up/down post divert a ball at different speeds into the Chestburster magnet
» YouTube video

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#4638 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff nothing from that piece of shit Prometheus please.

I don't get the hate for it myself. Is it because it didn't live up to the hype? It couldn't have been worse than the last few Alien movies (AvP 1 and 2, Alien 4).

1 week later
#4862 8 years ago

"Because he dared to dream, and never stopped believing."

So inspirational.

4 months later
#6605 7 years ago

I love these guys.

4 weeks later
#6812 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For a few years now I have suggested companies put a micro camera on the apron centered on the flippers looking up field. Not as cool but maybe one at the top of the playfield also, looking down.

That would be neat. Maybe they should add a camera hookup for the big screen for use in tournaments.

1 week later
#6892 7 years ago

Wow he's got some free time today.

#6914 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My nuts are getting tingly with August right around the corner!

You should get that checked out.

#6923 7 years ago

Any reason?

Is she taking part in filming the next one?

#6931 7 years ago

I might have to go to Expo if they can get a game there.

#6943 7 years ago

Those pop bumper caps look great.

I also like that big screen surround.

2 weeks later
#7044 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In my opinion, Alien will be successfully made and delivered. It's the long term viability of the company that should concern people.
And you can spin the word "Dissolved" any way you like. Look at the facts. He has a business record of 100% dissolved business.

Are you worried about parts supplies? Vid has stated that trying to get parts for Sterns is terribly hard. So even a company that's been around long term doesn't keep a good supply of parts.

#7059 7 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I would again like to re-iterate: *no one is forcing anyone to preorder/put down a deposit on this game*
If you don't feel comfortable with putting down a deposit, then don't. There won't be any shortage of machines available for purchase once it's released. It's that simple.

Exactly. If you're afraid for the longevity of the company then wait and don't buy right now.

1 month later
#7663 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Was the IP from Peru by chance?
I guess somebody is bored on holiday ....
rd

Did Peru celebrate Dinky's Fall Carriage and Antique Auction in Daviess County, IN as a holiday like we did this week?

#7667 7 years ago

7 thous....

I better just quit right there.

I'm excited to see everyone at Expo.

1 week later
#8025 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

not sure why this question got downvoted. it's valid to someone who wants the machine and needs to time out their prepayment

He was blocked before I downvoted. Obviously someone who shouldn't be on here.

#8143 7 years ago

Was there a choice between which movies you can play? I noticed Bishop in the game over screen.

#8205 7 years ago

Is that kit a little high priced? Almost as much as a Pro costs.

#8255 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

How in the hell did Stern get her likeness for Ghostbusters? You know they didn't shell out extra for her.

Could be differences in contracts signed at the time of the film? Likeness rights were changing back then. It might be she signed them away for Ghostbusters back then but not for Alien.

I was reading an article about the legal rights troubles for Batman 66. It took some devoted people to get those rights untangled just to release the DVDs and eventually merch like the pin.

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/batman-home-video-finally/

#8672 7 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I want the LE legs to be gigantic phallic biomech dicks with big biomech looking orifices where the feet are, and I want the coinslots to look like a big gaping mouth right in front of my crotch and I want there to be a little steam generator inside that blows steam out randomly on my crotch, and I want all the rails to be big veiny tubes with veiny hoses and shit all over them and I want the entire package to always be slimey and moist looking, and to be dripping random goo. If you're going to do custom trim, you might as well make it all about sexual organs. There isn't enough Geiger in this machine and you all know it.

I'm sure the modders can help make your legs look like dicks.

#8709 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A zillion years ago, after the second film, A bunch of us spent time discussing what might make a good 3rd Movie.
The Drunk and stupefied consensus was to have the plummeting Queen Grab on to a Passing Asteroid, and set up nest.
So happens this Asteroid hits earth in the Ocean, and she swims to nest in the NY Subway System.
Much like any Monster movie threatens us, by hiding in the bowels, this would bring the franchise, at that time, to a more personal level....little girl in bed wakes up to see Alien drooling over her. Grocery moms, Snatched, and pulled down the
street drain "Liquid fast".
Like a Nest of Termites or Ants, they grow and Spread all over NY, (or any city with a Subway), and threaten to Spread.
Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters was no help, so Ripley is back, doing her thing in the Subways, water treatment, etc...
Morning dribble and drool, as my coffee cools down.

Did they ever bring Aliens to Earth? I don't recall that they did which is kind of odd. It seemed like the popular thing to do with sequels was bring the monster to a populated city. Gremlins, Predator, and Jurassic Park come to mind.

#8736 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

lets pitch a better alien movie and get JJ Abrams!

If you want to pitch a better Alien movie, I'd suggest keeping JJ away from it.

#8747 7 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Is anyone else thinking of getting a std with the Backglass then adding the back box lcd giving them the option to swap both around at their preference? Of course I'd also be adding the) FIber optic ramp lights 2) the el blade lights and 3)the topper

I know the LE will still come with the translight and I think it fits in front of the large LCD. I don't remember if the standard comes with a translight.

The large LCD was an addition during the development of this game but I'm hoping in future titles they won't be mirrored. Hopefully the big LCD will show the animations and some info while the playfield LCD will show just info for the player.

#8750 7 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

There are (addressable?) LED lights in the back box for the translite art. Not sure what happens to those LED's if you order with the 27" backbox LCD.
If you could put your translite art over the unplugged 27" LCD wouldn't the art no longer be lit? It will be interesting to see how this works.
I've wondered frequently if the backbox LED's are addressable RGB's that can change colors like all of the playfield LED's do. And will there be a lighting effect going on behind the backbox art that works in conjunction with what's going on with the playfield lighting effects?
And how beneficial might it be to have a non glare/reflective glass with a 27" LCD in the backbox vs just the lit translite artwork?

When they initially announced the 27" screen, there was some discussion of putting the translite in front of the screen for the purposes of hiding the screen when the game's off.

I've played Full Throttle at Expo without any special glass and had no problem with reflections from the screen. This was in a well lit room though. It might be different in a dark room.

1 week later
#9004 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not a fact. The only kit system so far was Pinball 2000...

Wouldn't conversion games have served a similar purpose and so be considered as the same thing? They were more successful in the video game market than pinball but conversion games have always been a viable option for operators. Pinball just never had a conversion game that was a best seller and top earner.

1 month later
#9396 7 years ago

It's kind of funny people want a family mode for this pin to reduce gore with so many other arcade vids/pins include blood. Oh well. It's nice Heighway's team can do that for them.

#9402 7 years ago

I imagine all deadlines are tentative. You never know when something might happen.

You either get regular updates and communication with dates subject to change or you get Stern's way of doing things which is ship some games really quick and others 7 months later without any communication or updates.

I prefer constant communication with occasional deadlines missed.

#9409 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I would guess those people don't own those games/pins...? More options=broader audience=more sales

Maybe but it would be hard to find a person without any form of media that doesn't refer to blood, violence, or gore in their home. Most Alien fans (and non-fans) know what they're getting when they buy something associated with the franchise.

#9413 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What is the downside to a menu option for family mode? That's really the point. References to gore and something exploding out of a human's chest are somewhat different

I didn't say there was a downside. In my original post...

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Oh well. It's nice Heighway's team can do that for them.

Time spent putting the option in versus boost in sales because of the option is probably negligible. No downside. No upside. No problems from me.

#9421 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

kids these days...a-holes! Am I right, eh? Huh? GET OFF MY LAWN MILLENNIAL !!!

I mean I'm on the border of being a millennial and I was one of the guys discussing family mode. And I thought it was a little side discussion not an argument. Why do you have to be so mean Dee-Bow?

#9496 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Did they turn of the heating, all off them are wearing caps?

It's probably a fashion statement.

2 weeks later
#9765 7 years ago

I think a good mod may be to take out the third LCD and send that video signal to the playfield screen. Then find some cool toy to put in the third screen's place.

#9767 7 years ago

It sounds like the third screen is doing exactly what I want out of the playfield screen. Instructions towards the player relevant to the active modes while the big screen would show the video clips and game scores.

#9772 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If the 3rd screen just mimicked the other 2 then for sure its over kill but its gonna show completely different footage, countdowns, maybe some static crt screens from the films etc. I think it will work just fine, lose the bezel so its smaller with a placement that doesn't detract from the Xeno head and it will be great. I really wish Aliens had a similar sized LCD like the new Sterns but I doubt I'm gonna hate 27" clips from two of my favorite films not to mention I'm really liking the graphics I've seen so far for this pin, the music is just ridiculously good, best I've ever heard and thats on teaser videos, headphones or just dark room loudness, oh man.

I'm still unsure about Stern's LCD. It's a little weird looking but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The big screen looks natural and is a wow factor to new players.

3 weeks later
#10248 7 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

That's exactly what the xeno will do. It's all programmed in - just the activation timings aren't all programmed in - which is again a quick and easy fix.
Xeno snarls ... hisses ... and of course, eats pinballs!

That's pretty cool. Maybe have it open it's mouth or something when the ball hits a switch that's close to the head.

Too bad Xenos don't have eyes to track the ball like Rudy.

1 month later
#11208 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Like I said I missed the earlier discussion of the post. Now I'm regretting bringing it up, but when you remove the post, it leaves a hole.
Having a hole there isn't so bad..

I didn't realize there was a Kirk post on Alien either. Not a big deal though as it can be removed like on so many other games. Too bad you can't do a drop pass like on Stars.

I understand you're apprehension about it though. Just imagine the designer is a Steve Kirk fan. Who was the designer anyway? Last I heard that wasn't revealed.

#11300 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Why people REFUSE to create a Facebook account when so many videos they end up wanting to watch are there, is beyond me. I get it, FB has a stigma from the "older" crowd (which I'm a part of). I literally don't understand why people use FB. But they do, so get over it.
There are things posted there that have nothing to do with "using" FB that you want to see. Regardless, people are on here almost daily saying "screw FB, when will someone post that video somewhere else?!?!" Get over yourselves.
I have a FB acct with EXACTLY zero friends. I don't "use" FB, but I have an acct so I can see this sort of stuff I want to see that people post there. It's free, took seconds to sign up for, and I still get to tell people I don't use FB. That's right people, you can have a FB acct without actually "using" FB.
Or I suppose you can keep torturing yourself and complaining while you wait for someone to post the video somewhere you feel is worthy of you accessing. So be it.

I have a fake FB account but I still say screw FB. I'm a young guy too.

FB just makes it so hard to use. Video buffering on YT is much better than FB.

#11316 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

It's not the same without the smell.

Introducing...AROMA-SCOPE!

IMG_0420 (resized).JPGIMG_0420 (resized).JPG

#11334 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Actually no they won't help because those schematics are ancient history. The playfield & ramps look nothing like that now.
They never officially released the final schematic, but it sure would be nice if they did

Isn't it still the same? The only things changed to my knowledge is the queen toy and far left ramp adjusted to be smoother but none of the layout was changed.

1 month later
#12354 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I also wonder ....

Whoa

I need to take a trip north when the game arrives.

#12361 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yup, we just put it on location tonight! I spent and hour or so cleaning, mylaring and adjusting things and it is playing great. Got the screen leveled out and it is a nice smooth transition now. So if you are in the Missouri area and want to give it a go, head to Springfield.
That said, I played several games tonight after dialing it in and it just played so much better than it did at TPF. If our customers like it I will probably end up selling my GB Prem and buying one of these. I already enjoy playing it more. Big thanks to Tommy for allowing to give it a test run before he can take it over to Indiana.

I really like the black cab so much more than the original FTH run. Now about those legs...

1 month later
#13285 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

True, which is why I bought a 2016 OLED with both 3D and 4K HDR

That's my dream TV. Maybe get it curved to match my 1982 model

#13350 6 years ago
Quoted from whatchapopo:

when you play your alien with the 2 screens, which one look at you?

Creepy question.

#13376 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

You can just install the backglass and not turn the monitor on, saves you the trouble of uninstalling it.

It would be cool if the programmer could make an option for the backbox screen to work like a light board when the full translite is in. Could even program some interactive lighting like WPC games.

Probably not possible though with that screen tied to the playfield screen.

1 week later
#13808 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Sorry will post more in the AM
Game is amazing!!

ooOOoo...beacons!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,999 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.