• 24,864 posts
  • 990 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 minutes ago by delt31
  • Topic is favorited by 268 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,866 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN6926 (resized).JPG
DSCN6925 (resized).JPG
IMG_4911 (resized).jpg
IMG_4910 (resized).jpg
Unbenannt (resized).JPG
36C12A21-ACB7-4C77-AA6E-93870258191D (resized).jpeg
12078675-4704659829489674 (resized).jpg
9A1AD931-4F86-4CAC-A73C-8318A968E54C (resized).jpeg
07445D35-9F91-4590-9914-57FDDA690747 (resized).jpeg
D09745A7-95CD-4576-AA7E-88E1EF02E6AA (resized).jpeg
AEDE433F-D01E-4758-9089-F84807756690 (resized).jpeg
71A48A9B-1FFA-4761-8F8A-3CF514A5E4A9 (resized).jpeg
6FE7CC81-88E9-43CD-AA7A-46024E118C7B (resized).jpeg
E9D0CD76-07B8-40A2-95C0-9F9A6628AC0A (resized).jpeg
89006E32-605F-44EE-A01D-AF7DE43870DE (resized).jpeg
Through (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2582 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm with you, the only reference I have is Wizard of Oz, and it does nothing for me. Maybe someone will come up with a better integration and experience, but WoZ seems to be more for the group watching than the player. When I'm playing pinball, I want to play pinball, not watch a movie - which I can't anyway, because my eyes are on the playfield. The DMD-size LCD/LED? display on TBL or the MMr color DMD or the new DMD-size LED displays are ideal for a pinball machine.
That WoZ multi-ball clip was novel a couple of times, but I find the charm of the DMD multi-ball animations have a way more enduring charm.
From what Aurich says, sounds like Heighway are trying something different with the full LCD versus what JJP does. I'm really curious if they can find a sweet spot between integration with game play and a tedious interruption. It's a fine line in my opinion, and I'm skeptical until I see someone succeed. No one has yet in my opinion.

I think you have some great points. I love WOZ and think the second screen on the apron mod has some real potential. One of the reasons I loved CV the first time I played it was the positioning of the DMD but that setup also has some trade-offs too. I'd love to see Alien (or another game) revolutionize how these displays are used, I don't know what that looks like but I'm hopeful someone finds the magic formula.

1 week later
#2683 3 years ago

Aliens is so full of great lines, most by Hudson (Paxton)... "Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

5 months later
#5507 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I agree, all movie-based pinball games should have the original music and not an electronic mock up (which I hate).

I think there are really good exceptions to this rule, Spider-man being one of them. The original theme by Danny Elfman is great when you are watching the movie and it times well with the title sequences, etc. but it would simply not work well in the game with it's very slow build up and quiet lulls between build-ups. The music they created for the game is really good and better fits a pinball machine.I'm sure there are lots of other examples but that one always stands out to me.

Now, where is that video? I'm really on the fence about this game and can't wait to see more!

4 months later
#7398 2 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

The lighting on FT is superior in technology to any pin on the market! ALL lights including the G.I. lights are supernova L.E.D.s. Basically the color possibilities are endless & unmatched in the industry, & yes they can fade.

Educate me please, how is it superior / different from JJP as all their lights (GI and controlled) are full RGB as well? I'm not being confrontational and don't want to turn this into a Heighway vs JJP thing, would just like to know.

#7409 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, I feel JJP made a mistake removing the RGB GI. The mood changes were awesome in WOZ...there were other, better ways to improve the GI. Shame. I look forward to Alien's GI! Can't do rainbow type stuff obviously, but greens and blues and purples...reds! All will look awesome!

Huh, I didn't realize they changed the GI in Hobbit and agree the effects in WOZ are fantastic. I'm guessing this was to address the complaints about the dark playfield but think they could have found a better fix. Can't wait to see some Alien lighting action!!

#7412 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

They changed the whole lighting system in the Hobbit to get away from daisy chaining the lights (like on a Christmas tree). Maybe it was just too much wiring to connect all the GI in parallel too.
Also, light failures on WOZ were usually due to driver IC and connector failures rather than LEDs going bad.

I've chased / repaired enough light board connector issues so I can appreciate that!

Still a bummer about the GI but that will be another differentiator for Highway now.

2 months later
#9476 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The issue with taking their time is that they dont have cash coming in from sales as the pre-order money can only last so long.

They're selling / shipping FT games, no?

1 month later
#10186 2 years ago

The beacon in the scene it definitely the "old school" mechanical (a reflector rotating around a stationary light) but it does look lower profile than what's on those games. I do think they look a little too tall but that's picking nits - the effect with them going is probably pretty awesome. I don't think a strobe or LED would be appropriate for the theme. Overall this game is looking great, can't wait to see one in person!

#10249 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The Batman topper is simulated beacon with LEDs and I haven't heard anyone say it was anything less than awesome. No one complaining that it doesn't look "60s".

I haven't seen it because that game is such a rip-off I'd never consider it, however if they've done a good job simulating an "old school" rotating beacon with LEDs good for them! I just don't think a strobe would be the same, it needs that rotating action. BTW - if you've never driven a vehicle with those on the top during a snow storm, be grateful, it is extremely weird and distracting, at least for a while.

1 month later
#11381 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sad to hear about Bill Paxton Only 61 too, wow. He was great in Aliens, Twister, Titanic, and Apollo 13.
Hopefully there is a lot of "Hudson" in Heighways game, including video clips from Aliens

Don't forget his great work in Weird Science! Very sad news, RIP Bill.

2 weeks later
#11839 2 years ago

Loved the video tour, nice to see my hometown Cincinnati Milarcron represented!

1 month later
#12638 2 years ago

Thanks for the video, lots of good stuff in there - you could tell he wanted to basically say "licensing sucks!" but refrained. The point he mentioned about people in the licensing department changing and with that what you can and can't do changing makes perfect sense and has to be incredibly frustrating. I've been in product development (a very small wheel in a much bigger machine but still) and even dealing with these kind of changes (not licensing related in my case) from our own marketing department while in the middle of design was absolutely maddening.

I also appreciate that they tried to get S.W.'s rights to use Ripley - who knows why the economics of her on pinball versus a video game is different. Maybe it's perception, maybe it's a percentage of product sale price (i.e. 10% of a video game is a lot less $$ than 10% of a pinball machine on a per-unit basis), or maybe her agent changed and the new one is a prick. I think her 2nd best quote (behind "you bitch" is when she tells Hicks that Newt has survived all alone, etc. - but that's too long to use in a game and is completely trumped by Hick's reply "Why don't we put her in charge then?!?!?", so not as big a loss as I originally thought it would be.

#12645 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

and the game is getting rave reviews!! I understand the glass half empty mindset by some people though...I have it myself most of the time.

The glass is refillable!

1 month later
#13916 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Definitely needs some flashers during the xeno ball grab though... right now most of the sequence takes place in pitch darkness. But that would be perfect for a strobe effect. I know the game has no flashers but they should be able to simulate something up near the xeno head...

I don't know, the sequence went so well with the "How did they cut the power" quote and the lights coming back on just as the ball is getting eaten, that was really almost more intense than having flashers popping off.

#13942 2 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Here is another video showing the right ramp return and Super Jackpot During Ambush Multiball
Enjoy!
» YouTube video

That is just awesome looking / sounding - thanks for sharing. Time to go check the bank balance.....

3 weeks later
#15096 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yes this has been the truth all along from day one. Sure an LE would run you about $8K, but with the add-on 27" LCD, invisiglass & air shipping, you were looking to pay about another $1K on top of that. Absurd if you ask me.
Now with an upcoming price hike, I really wonder what they would charge & what changes will be made. Part of the problem was that there was just too many options over the course of the entire project (big backbox LCD, small backbox LCD, lighted pinblades, beacons, trim upgrades, invisiglass, shakers, El-wire, etc etc). That's a lot of extra parts to buy. And since this project dragged out over so many years, I'm sure costs had to go up due to so many variables & problems during production (including factors outside their control, like Brexit & the value of the Euro).
I don't see how they can come up with a plan to move forward until all customer refunds are processed first. With each passing day, refund requests have to be an increasing sum of money. They have to take care of this ASAP. They can't move forward without dealing with it. It has to be a big part of finalizing the deal.
After that, they should reassess everything. Come up with different cost effective configurations for the relaunch. Dump the ramp El-wire lighting as it is expensive (and does not fit the theme). Offer one LE trim color, not three. One cabinet color on all models. Standardize the 27" screen, so you only need one art package, or just make it an LE option & include it in the price. Etc etc. It's clear there never was a clear plan of what this final game would include or even look like. Those that are staying in may have to adjust their expectations, as the final package might not be exactly what Andrew promised.
Who am I kidding? Who knows if any of that will even happen. The whole thing is just frustrating as hell. Just send me my damn refund.

Those are some valid points, scope creep can be devastating to projects or product development. I think they wanted to give everyone what they wanted but probably should have finalized a set of features and went with it. If the new guys running the company have manufacturing experience they probably understand that and will likely try to address it in some way. I still hope they get the ship righted and start shipping games steadily. If they do I'm very likely to buy one, I almost sent a deposit multiple times but I'm glad I didn't.

#15097 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

If Andrew is "gone", the transition has failed. If no one responds to the PP disputes, this suggests to me that Andrew has some physical or mental breakdown going on. It's totally in Andrew's interest to smooth the transition. Can anyone verify that Andrew has abandoned the operation before he has a deal?

Or maybe they are just in a "quiet period" while the legal transition takes place??? Not very nice to suggest someone has suffered a mental breakdown.

1 month later
#15869 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Overtaking the field of new two flipper contestants - Houdini, Star Wars, Dialed-In and TnA.

I must not understand what you are trying to say because DI and TNA are both three flipper games.

2 weeks later
#16185 1 year ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

I agree. There's no way I'm gonna read all of that.
QSS

I'm fairly certain he doesn't expect anyone to read all of that!

3 weeks later
#16614 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

You will get the same glass for less...."Roman's Glass" same stuff (it's not made in the US)...PDI only authorized importer/ distributor in the US

Roman needs a good marketing name for his glass so we don't have to call it PDI. I agree that it's the bee's knees when not defective!

3 weeks later
#17043 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Only 500 ( a true LE #)

At this rate they may not make 500 Standards!

#17065 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I only have The Shadow, so I made my own "stadium" lights. Since I didn't need GI dimming it was pretty simple.
I can't remember how Alien works with regards to GI and dimming. So, getting a Pinstadium set with the GI dimming modal might be the way to go. If the GI is simply on or off, then a basic relay would be all you need to roll your own.
I'd be curious how dim the Pinstadium lights can go. I suspect they'd be brighter than I'd like for Alien.

They get pretty dim, on Alien is might be really cool to just have them set to dark green and keep the white GI turned way down. In fact a green flasher option might be perfect for Alien as well but would have to see one in person first to get a better understanding. I do agree that dark games are not always a bad thing especially if the theme is dark to begin with.

#17074 1 year ago

Did you see the pics of the Pin Stadium installed in Alien: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/12#post-3989046

Don't know what settings that user had dialed in but I think it looks like a good compromise of brighter but not too bright. And as for effects, on WOZ with GI integration the PS kits do a lot of stuff that corresponds to the GI, I posted a couple videos of mine in the Pinstadium thread. It's still a to each their own decision, obviously, they both have their pros (spots are much cheaper but PS is more customizable and controllable) and cons. I do love the way the Pinstadium kit mounts on the Heighway games though, no need to pull them off when you raise the PF.

1 week later
#17376 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Just for the record greenhornet is not Kaneda

Will you give us your multi-paragraph, thorough but still cryptic explanation of your research into this in several weeks so we can analyze it but still have to guess exactly what your point was until someone else points it out??

#17386 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I had never met him before but he was posting in the thread about the Museum of Pinball, in a similar fashion as he has is this thread. He voiced a strong opinion on some problems the museum faced, and presented clear facts and evidence.
I said to him that perhaps instead of complaining about the issues, perhaps he can pitch in and help
He showed up at the MoP several times since then and has helped the facility, the event, and the promotion of the hobby to thousands of people...
Thats all I know about him...
Im not saying hes right or wrong. His style is much more abrasive than, say, my own and I can see how and why he ruffles feathers...just dont try a Kaneda witch hunt here because you are wrong...

For the record I have never, ever suggested he/she is anyone at all, I was just poking fun at his posts on his/her "analysis of a significant flaw" (my words not his/her's because I don't want to look it up) that was just a really good way to make enemies in this thread.

#17449 1 year ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Headed to CT this morning. Excited for the second time. Thanks Heighway, Roger, Morgan, Melissa, Chris and company for helping make this process possible. This will go on location again at starport. The others, as they come in will be on location in Pittsburgh and surrounding. Good luck all!!

Sweet, I'll be back in Pittsburgh in a couple weeks and will be certain to book a hotel suitably close to Starport!

Edit - just saw that Starport isn't in Pitt, still holding out hope to get to play this game somewhere soon!

#17605 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

The price for the lights may be but the you can adjust the brightness of the lights on your smartphone. Saw it at expo. Pretty cool.

I'll second the vote for the Pin Stadium lights over adding strips. You can adjust the brightness and color, easily turn them off if you want, and they look way less tacky than light strips stuck to the apron. Considering what other mods cost the PS lights are a pretty good deal, especially if you don't do add-ons like GI integration (I would highly recommend that one though) or UV flasher.

#17670 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

so about to puchase pinstadium lighting. Question is if I go with a flasher option or not and if so what color. Apparently the flashers will go off based on when I tell them too (triggered event). I dont believe there are any flashers in this game. I really love the current feel and lighting but just need a little more white light as it gets almost dark during certain modes.
Question is do I go with flashers? Thinking white if I do but green, red or blue could be cool too.

I've never seen a game in person so I can't really comment on what color would be best. I can provide some information about the flasher trigger though. If the game doesn't have any actual flashers you may not be able to achieve a good PS flasher integration effect. It's not like you can program them to go off at certain times in a game, the trigger has to be connected to something that is not matrixed (in other words you can't just hook it up to a certain switch in the game) and that would trigger it with good results. WOZ is a great example, there are definitely other places I think the flasher trigger would be better suited but because there are only two "flashers" in the game the only real option is limited to the Red witch flasher. Again, I don't know Alien at all so I don't know if there are any flashers or good sources to use for the flasher trigger, I just want you to have a realistic expectation of what you can do with it. It's possible one of the feature lights that flash at times would make serve you well. As for general improvement of lighting I don't think you can possibly go wrong with the PS kit based on what I saw of it installed Alien.

#17673 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

That's a good point - didn't know it works just like that. I'll reach out to Scott to see if flasher is N/A b/c ALien doesn't even have any in it!

Good idea! Since he tested a kit in an actual Alien game he should be able to tell you what they did for the flasher and GI integration unless they just didn't have time to get to that part.

#17676 1 year ago
Quoted from libtech:

I honestly think that extra lighting would ruin the ominous feel of this game, the only thing that would be cool is to have a flasher on the xeno when it eats the ball IMO.

I think that's a legit concern but because it's so adjustable I think you could easily strike a nice balance of making the ball a lot easier to see and keeping the proper vibe. If you stick spots or strips in the game you're stuck with that as always on unless you want to open up the game and disconnect or move them, etc. Options abound!!

#18016 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The sideblades are not "supposed to" light up. It's an option that you had to purchase on the SE.

It's not listed as an optional add-on on Cointaker's site? Maybe their version of it includes it just like the backbox monitor???

1 month later
#19234 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

So what LE transite do you get if you have the big monitor in the backglass? The pics on facebook don't show the big monitor, just a full translite. it looks great but I assume some people want the monitor in the backbox.

I believe it looks like this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/381#post-4125281

1 month later
#19968 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If they are to survive they have to drop the kit system - there is just no demand for it.
That would then ensure a cabinet re-design so Queen might be half decent.
But it will take a long way to gain people's trust again.

The only way they gain people's trust is to not just get all the Alien games and refunds due to people ASAP, show much better support for FT and Alien, provide schematics / owner's manuals, and start shipping Alien in quantity with quality. Then when game 3 is ready don't announce it or release it until you are ready to start shipping them, no pre-orders, no six month or more waiting period.

2 weeks later
#20187 1 year ago
Quoted from pingod:

I received most of my parts from Heighway Pinball, couple of days ago.
It sure would be nice to know where most of it hooked up.
I’m sure I can figure it out.
I’m still missing ramps and one side art,plus one lower jaw.
This is for two prototype Aliens.

Have you seen this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-the-heighway-alien

Perhaps you can join in the fun and have one thread for others to use as a reference?

#20207 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

My game room's lights are all on a dimmer, I tend to set the lighting pretty low, but never totally dark. Agree that the Pinstadium lights look pretty awful on Alien, this is a modern game that's supposed to be dark, that much bright light is overkill and looks bad against the ramp returns. I think Pinstadium lights look best on making 90s era DMD games that were underlighted pop, not sure I see the value in putting them in a new game.

Trying not to get too off topic but they are fantastic on WOZ and that's pretty new. I'm still longing for the day I get to see / play an Alien.

1 month later
#20851 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

SOOOOOO glad I got out of this train wreck while I still could. Thank goodness. Dream Theme, but not worth a 8k brick.

pasted_image (resized).png

#21130 1 year ago

I knew they should have put her in charge.

pasted_image (resized).png

#21390 1 year ago
Quoted from hansj66:

Status update:
Like I posted earlier, we have paid in full for an Alien SE back in 2016.
We actually recevied a call from Roger Svanevik today. Basically to tell us that we where fucked and that our money was lost.
But,... it turns out that the CT container was for real. When the CT-deal fell through, these machines were sold elsewhere.
It also turns out that Umbrella Corporation has Alien LEs for sale. Free-Play.se also has Alien LEs for sale (Both these distributors are owned by people who are owners / have representation in the board of directors at both Heighway Pinball and Pinball Brothers.)
Roger Svanevik then offered to sell us an Alien Pinball. This time an LE.
This is the same guy who assured us that Heighway would ship our game by the end of 2017.
Charming.

Wow, talk about having giant balls, what a dick!

[image removed]

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
14,000 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside