• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bcd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6976 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If we can control the brightness, then even better yet. Adjust to taste.

You will definitely be able to control the brightness.

2 months later
#7983 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Quick question...
If I was player one and had a locked ball in the Hypersleep Chamber on the left side and drained my ball to the right to lose my turn, could player two be able to utilize/steal/be revived by using the Hypersleep Chamber that I primed with a locked ball earlier? (Could it be turned off during tournament play?) Kinda like Space Shuttle with the multi-ball setup between other players that drain and are not able to seize the multi ball during their turn.

First, the game supports virtual locking - so you can disable the physical ball lock if you want.

In any case, ball locks are counted per player, regardless of the number of physical balls in the lock. No lock stealing on this game.

If you had locked balls previously, but they were released by another player, Revive is still available to you, and it will add a ball back into the play from the trough, like a normal ball saver.

#8542 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I noticed that too, but I'm pretty sure it will be fixed. Let's see what Heighway says.

Dave Sanders confirmed yesterday that this is a known issue on the prototypes and a fix is already in the works for the production games.

1 month later
#9625 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Slightly off topic, but are there any topics or videos or blogs or anything that talk about how the lighting effects are done at Heighway?
I'm not going to lie, I'm completely ignorant about what technology is "under the hood" in Heighway machines. Probably not too hard to look up, but I'm more interested in the process and the software. Specifically, do you guys have your own proprietary software for sequencing the lights or open source software or does someone code it all out by hand (I can't imaging the latter in this day and age).
I'd assume some sort of "virtual" environment for trying things out. But, just curious about the dev process and the tools you have available. If you can comment or link to anything, I'd appreciate it.

Software is proprietary and not open source. I've considered ways of opening it up slightly to allow for some customization, but that hasn't been a priority.

Yes, we have a virtual environment to develop in. Much of Alien was coded and tested well before the first playfields were ready.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "coding by hand". It is probably somewhere in between the two extremes you are thinking of. In other words, we're not coding lamp by lamp all the time, but we certainly can if we need to achieve a certain effect.

2 months later
#11120 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I almost feel like i'm nitpicking, but the ball says its locked and then is released. maybe there was already balls in the lock..

It's a virtual ball lock - the up post is raised briefly to announce any awards, then the ball is released. It's working correctly.

#11122 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

5. Is there a overarching wizard mode for finishing all 3 tiers (I didn't see an insert for one, so I'm not sure... Although an insert isn't necessary I suppose)?

Yes, "All Out War" is the final wizard mode. It has an insert in the center tier.

And it's actually implemented, I promise

1 week later
#11403 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

It was explained by the streamer and i witnessed it once during play; that the Xeno magnet stops ball , mouth opens , tongue comes half way out and magnet releases ball. Not sure if there are any variations to the behavior (different release sequences) , but it would appear to suggest that it isn't working properly or still under development.

There is an adjustment for the length of time that the tongue comes out before it is assumed to have grabbed onto the pinball. It looks like maybe that adjustment is not set to the factory default?

The adjustment name is Magnet Capture Time, under Alien specific adjustments. The default that was tested at the factory is 10 (this is in 1/4th second units, so that's 2.5 seconds). It looks to be much less than that, but I did see the sequence start. Hopefully this is the reason why.

1 week later
#11691 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Curious, is there going to be a tournament mode or competitive mode?

Both Full Throttle and ALIEN already support a tournament mode feature. It can be enabled in the operator's menu, or you can hold the left flipper for 5 seconds before starting a game and it will go into competition mode for the next game only.

This removes all random features. For ALIEN this means Muthur Mystery will award items in a fixed sequence. Presently it just gives points every time, but this will probably evolve.

#11902 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It shakes the shit out of the game. Way too violent. I unplugged it until I get around to adjusting the weights and tweaking it.

Speaking as the programmer on Full Throttle, and as someone who also disconnected his shaker...

Soon we'll be finalizing the shaker code for Alien. I plan to backport all fixes to Full Throttle, and add adjustments to tune it to your liking.

So, in a future Full Throttle code update, you'll have a better shaker experience.

1 month later
#13656 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I keep wondering if there is a super wizard mode if you complete all 3 sub wizard modes?

There are only 2 "mini-wizard modes". What you're calling the third one is in fact something much greater...

1 week later
#13936 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Just realized I had my upper left flipper eos installed incorrectly from the factory. Everyone may want to check those switches out. Not sure if it impacted game at all but can't hurt to look.

The game code does not currently use the upper flipper EOS switches (both left and right). If they're not working correctly, it won't affect anything.

1 month later
#15583 1 year ago

The shaker code has already been rewritten completely since Full Throttle was released. It will not be as strong out of the box, and there are adjustments so you can change the strength and frequency of use (or disable entirely). Like Ferret said, it just needs to be worked into the game rules where it makes sense.

3 weeks later
#15850 1 year ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

KEV,
At approx. 11:40 mark of the youtube video , the head is hit ,but it triggers MUTHA MYSTERY also.

Yeah that's definitely not supposed to happen. Mother should only be awarded at the left saucer. A brief switch pulse wouldn't be enough to trigger it either - the ball has to settle there for about half a second. It is suspicious that it happens exactly when the target is hit, but those two switches shouldn't interfere with each other at all - they are attached to two separate node boards.

We'll keep an eye for it, but I don't see how software is causing this. It would be nice to know exactly which software version was shipped on this game.

1 week later
#15983 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So after you complete all the modes, do they loop back and restart? Even if you haven't completed all the multiballs?

That is correct.

2 weeks later
#16423 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Does anyone know if the modes on the ladder play the same order each time or is it random? Example - on ball 1 if I hit the mode shot, will it always play mode 1 or will it be random?

It's not random and it's under player control.

You choose which side (the ALIEN or ALIENS modes) to play at the start of the game.

The top mode will be ready to start, but you can change it by shooting any ramp (left, right, or top). All ramp shots move the next mode down by one.

3 weeks later
#16784 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What's the latest version? Supposedly Heighway has versions above 1.0.

The latest version being shipped is 1.02. This fixes a bug in 1.0 with the software update process. Other than that it's identical to 1.0.

#16850 1 year ago

I doubt Hilton has the updated code.

Right. His game definitely does not have the latest code. His is about 6 months old now. There have been many, many changes. The changelogs are all posted in this thread if you go back and look for them.

#16854 1 year ago

If that is still the way to start a mode, perhaps the programmer would consider adding an EASY option to the service menu for novices:
EASY MODE START:
Hi Left or Right loop to light scoop. Hit scoop to start mode.

There is already an adjustment to make the mode start easier (or harder) if you desire. We already made it easier by default, by not requiring you to qualify the first mode - it's ready at the start of the game.

The orbits are harder to hit than the ramps, so your suggestion would have a negative effect. Also technically you only need the inlanes, not the ramps.

1 week later
#17087 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yes. That photo is with 2 additional spots, you can kind of triangulate the origin of the light in the photo. on Full Throttle, there is 1 normal light socket - on the coin door, with positive and negative connection. So yes you could run your good old alligator wires to the coin door for power, just as you've done off GI on other games.

That probably only works for Full Throttle right now. The ALIEN game code turns off that GI on the coin door when you're in a game.

There are a couple of spare, always-on 12V connectors on the power driver board that aren't used for anything else - these would be a better fit for custom lighting solutions, I think.

#17144 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't have a shaker on my machine, so I never needed the update.
I don't think there's been a released update in a long while.

For various reasons, there isn't likely to be another Full Throttle update for the original PC (Utilite). 1.41 is the last version.

However I have been porting all of the system updates, including newer shaker motor code, into a Full Throttle 2.0 package for the newer PCs that we are using on Alien. If you are getting Alien and want a Full Throttle kit, you'll get somewhat newer code. No rules changes, but lots of system bug fixes and system improvements. My personal Full Throttle is already updated to the new PC and it works great. The new PC is more reliable and makes future updates even easier, so perhaps someday there will even be a few rules changes that I've been working on.

1 week later
#17779 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

For the guys with an Alien - can you see if your switch for Tongue Mark 1-1 is constantly active?

The Tongue Mark should show active whenever the xeno toy is either fully extended, or fully retracted. It will be inactive when it is in between. This switch basically tells the code to stop it or reverse direction.

#17782 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Random question about your coils. When you go to test them in the service, can you describe how you do that? On my alien, it's a little wonky with me pressing in the coin door power as if I was closing the coin door and then I press the green button and it begins to shoot off coil. If I press the green button and then close the door, nothing happens. Never owned a HW game before so thought that was interesting. What's also interesting is that IN the coil test there is backlight and it actually turns on when I test it (yet doesn't stay on as it's expected too). Not sure what a coil is involved with lights.....

The coil test fires the coil each time you press the green button. Right now, there is no automatic mode in which it will fire continuously.

ferret or I can also make this trigger off the launch button, too - that would help you trigger it while the coin door is closed.

The backbox and side panel lighting are driven by 2 of the 8 "coil outputs" on the cabinet I/O board, as these are 12V outputs. They are controlled differently than the RGB LEDs. It's normal for these to show up in the coil test. Because they are lights they also appear in the single lamp test.

#17786 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

So an unfortunate update that is a big deal. The mini playfield tv just did this. After replugging on both ends it barely fixed it and returned to full crap mode shortly there after

I would also check ALL of the display connectors, including the backbox and the airlock screen in the upper left corner. Are they working correctly, and only the playfield screen is doing this? It's hard to measure from the photos but it looks like maybe the in-playfield screen is getting the resolution for the airlock screen, which would happen if it's not connected OK.

Also when resetting, make sure to power off the game entirely, not just the PC - not sure if that's what you did, but I can recommend that in general.

#17847 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

ferret is the xenomorph head used as a target in any of the modes (Beyond multiball) and would it be able to open and close it’s jaw during any other gameplay moments beyond the multiball prep?

We do exercise the jaw at other times than just multiball, but not excessively. We made a conscious decision not to "overdo" it, so that the effect isn't diminished. However we may add more in the future.

The ball grab is only used at the start of Ambush Multiball, and only when there is exactly 1 ball on the playfield. I wanted to add a number of tongue effects in other places, but the mechanism could be damaged if it is hit directly by a moving ball, so we had to be more conservative.

#17851 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

The only negative thing I can say about the play is sometimes it would take a couple of hits before the ball was ejected properly from the shooter lane. One time my daughter was playing the pin and she had a mutiball going that seemed endless. I think it happened during "Bug Ambush", but don't quote me on that. Anyway, I went ahead and turned off the pin and waiting a few seconds before re-booting it (much to my daughter's dismay LOL She had one hell of a score going) and, upon doing so, the pin played good the rest of the night. After the party I played one game and it did the same to me, but the game finally quit shooting out the balls. I don't know, maybe I was just kicking ass during that mode, but I doubt it.

On the ball launch problem, is this at the start of a ball or during multiball (or both)? I would check the alignment of the ball feed.

On the long multiball, the most likely cause is a chatty left outlane sensor. Chech the sensitivity of these two switches in single switch test. They may need adjusting slightly. I'll look into workarounds for this in the next version of the code.

Thanks for the detailed report.

#17951 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm just clipped as well didn't see either.
I'm heading home now and will confirm the back and side light suggestion to fix. I DEF have my LED set to high so this very well could fix it. Must be a bug in software

Yes, bug confirmed. The general brightness should be set to 8 or less. 9 and 10 aren't working. We'll fix that.

#18157 1 year ago

The shaker settings that Join_The_Cirqus posted are the factory defaults in 1.02, but it's a good idea to check them just in case. The power adjustment is the more important one; the frequency controls how often the shaker will be use during the game.

#18169 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

So my Launch button does not light up at all.

Did you try going into test mode and running the All Lamps or Single Lamp Test?

#18171 1 year ago

For anyone who has experienced an infinite ballsaver in multiball, please also check that all of your trough switches are working properly.

Remove all balls from the trough, then go into Tests/Active Switches. None of the trough switches should be displayed. Then one by one, add balls back into the trough and verify that the correct trough switches are displayed. With 1 ball installed, only "Trough 1" should be active. With 2 balls, you should see "Trough 1" and "Trough 2", and so forth. Any other results indicate a connection problem.

ferret and I are still looking into the possibility of a code bug causing this, but neither has been able to reproduce it yet.

#18222 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

They had connected the auxiliary wires at the factory. Why there are auxiliary wires in the first place I do not know.

Sorry that you had to struggle with this, but I'm glad you figured it out.

There are extra lamps/switches/solenoid outputs on the cabinet, since it was designed for kits. Never knowing for sure what a future title might need, we added many placeholders.

#18333 1 year ago
Quoted from GAP:

Mine flickers also, seen video of others with the flicker. Good to know its common on all new games, though it does concern me a little!

The flicker is not a software bug - it's caused by some electrical interference. However, I think with some code changes we can work around this. I'm already working on it and it looks promising. Thanks for your patience!

1 month later
#19334 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I notice that Alien doesn’t have the option to lane change in the rollovers. ferret was this an intentional design choice or could it be added?

This was intentional. Bonus can be huge on this game and we didn't want the multipliers to be too easy to get.

#19335 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

What is the thinking on what is causing the rainbow flickering insert lights when the right flipper button is pressed?
EMI?
Owner said software fixes were being looked at, but surely this is hardware?

It's a hardware issue for sure. The power from a held flipper is causing some interference in the LED data stream. I can't explain why it happens more on some games than others. I know the hardware team in Wales is currently looking at this.

There's a good chance that it can be improved and/or corrected with a firmware update on the I/O boards. I've been working on this angle and it looks promising. A code fix is preferrable of course.

Quoted from rubberducks:

Is there something you can do to stop the Xeno mouth extending when the magnet on the pf is not successful at grabbing the ball?
It had about a 50% success rate at stopping the ball. The mouth extends regardless. Eventually the proboscis is going to take a heavy ball hit and break. Though eventually could be just one game.
Maybe you can increase the power of the pf magnet to make sure it works, if there is no detection method?

There's no sensor to tell whether the ball was successfully caught on the magnet or not. You're right, it is dangerous to shoot up the middle with a free ball with the tongue extended.

Magnet power is already at maximum. In 1.1 code, the magnet will be started a little sooner which may help catch more fast moving balls.

The game code already disables the tongue if there is more than 1 ball on the playfield. There are a few cases where the tongue could come out during a multiball, but this is prohibited.

1 week later
#19484 1 year ago

MightyGrave, there was some issue with the package on the webserver, which has been corrected.

Can you re-download the file, turn off the game, place the package onto a clean USB and insert it into the computer, then turn the game on? It should attempt to install one more time without needing to go through the menu system.

#19519 1 year ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

My problem is still alive. The machine will not boot and showing the linux error message
So i can't do any update. I think the bootloader is not able to mount the file system

The file system is mostly fine. All of those messages on your screenshot are coming from the file system and appear OK. Just the game code isn't starting for some reason.

What version did you have before? Was it 1.02? Anything pre-1.02 (including 1.0) has known issues.

The team is still trying to figure out what happened and to come up with a solution for you.

#19523 1 year ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Update was from 1.02 - hope they'll find a solution.

Re: "they", I also work for Heighway, just so you know.

Can you take another screenshot after trying the update again? The messages ought to be slightly different than the first one you posted. There should be some indication that the update is starting and (hopefully) what went wrong.

#19526 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Is it ok to use shaker at full power now with updated code?

If upgrading from 1.02, go into the Alien adjustments and change "Shaker Power" and "Shaker Frequency" both to 50. That's the factory default now for new installs and seems to work well. I do not recommend anything higher than that. There is a Shaker Test in which you can try it out.

There's still not a lot of use of the shaker, but that's on the list for the next release.

#19618 1 year ago
Quoted from Marv:

mightygrave
Rename the hpd11.upd file to hpd11.tar.gz ...

That will definitely not work. You should not rename or modify the file at all, or it won't install.

#19670 1 year ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

We will check the inlanes first. The other swtiches give not 6k. so maybe the inlanes ?!

Yeah, it's probably the inductive switch in one of the inlanes/outlanes. The vibration from popping the trough coil may be setting one off.

That is also consistent with the points awarded.

4 weeks later
#20132 1 year ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

How is the magnet action near the Xenomorph? When I played it last year at Texas it didn't seem to do a lot. Does it act to just hold the ball for the ball lock or does it act like Sparky magnet at all?
Does anyone know if there is going to be a production Alien at TPF?

It flings the ball on every hit advancing towards Ambush Multiball. There are a few places where this is disabled, notably when modes and multiballs are already running.

It grabs the ball during mode and multiball starts at the targets to allow for presentation.

There's a lot of randomness in the fling effect - I've seen it nearly throw the ball into the center drain. I've also seen it throw upwards back into the targets for a second hit.

#20135 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Mint does not fling the ball. It's only active when it stops ball.

Are you on the 1.1 release?

I would double check the adjustments that affect the flinging (towards the end of the Alien adjustment list). There are 3 of them. If they're not at factory default value (it will tell you) then reset them and try again.

There's also a magnet test in the operator menus, or you can test in a game with the glass off - it will work the same way.

#20143 1 year ago

Yes, and either target will count. Keep in mind it will not fling during a mode or multiball, this is by design.

Also if you nick the targets to the outside, it will either fall back out of the magnet's range or come back too slowly for it to have an effect. So you're not guaranteed action every time, but for a dead-on center shot it should.

1 month later
#20572 1 year ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I know it's not set up yet so this a question for when it's unboxed, but are the newer games shipping with newer code?

These games will still have the current 1.1 release on them. 1.2 is still being finalized. It will be an easy upgrade once it's ready.

2 weeks later
#21115 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

ferret will you be able to release latest code update soon? That would button up loose ends and make most people current.

ferret and I have been in communication with the owners, and we believe that we'll be able to release 1.2 very soon. We're trying to get everything in there that we want while we still can.

2 months later
#22459 10 months ago
Quoted from swenny:

I suspect it is a board problem, possibly a bad connector or port somewhere as it will start out OK, but then act like the ball has drained mid-ball. Other times I get infinite multi-ball.

This sounds more like a trough switch problem, unless there are other things going on too?

If the I/O board USB is flaky, you'll see a lot more than this - lights would go out, flippers would stop working, etc.

3 weeks later
#22729 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

If there was ever a 1.3, I would like to see a “very easy” chestburster lane setting that awards it from the pops. Or heck - just add it to the buy in button.

I wouldn't rule out another software revision; it depends on how Pinball Brothers wants to move forward. I'm certainly willing to help with that (as in donate some of my free time to it). Something along the lines of a home ROM, if they are OK with it.

However I can say that 1.2 has turned out to be a very solid release, and no one should be disappointed if 1.2 is the end of the road.

I have also considered changes to make the chestburster shot easier to score, but that is unlikely. You just have to work at making that shot - it doesn't just happen. The upper left flipper to chestburster shot is makeable with patience and practice.

3 weeks later
#22949 9 months ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's also a bit laughable that they're using an entire MCU to control the DC motor driver on the right. It's also laughable because that motor driver can also do steppers but they're got a different module for it.

Can't disagree with you there.

There was a lot of politics involved in the way the xenomorph was designed. It went through more iterations that I can remember.

1 month later
#23188 8 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yes I hope that as community keeps working on their alien pins a new firmware will be released that uses it more often then just my failed apc mission !

There are about a half a dozen places in the game where the shaker is used. Yes, that is lower than what we had intended. We were concerned about issues with the power supply and felt that running the shaker at certain times was likely to cause the game to reset.

If a code update is ever approved, I would like to go back and find a way to add more shaker calls. Hearing that the community is making improvements to the power supply is encouraging, and makes this a worthwhile thing to explore adding.

#23227 8 months ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

You mean in that order? I need to play sentry guns MB first, correct? Thanks

No, the other way around. Start the other multiball, then bring in Sentry Guns.

Not only does this add-a-ball immediately, but it requalifies add-a-ball at the mystery award and both multiball's jackpots are doubled for the rest of the stack. Try to bring in 2X scoring on top of that, for effectively 4X scoring.

#23232 8 months ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If I remember correctly, when multiball is running the weapons display isn't shown. Is there a way to bring it back?

The mini display above the scoop shows the weapons during multiball. The backbox/playfield displays do not.

1 week later
#23336 7 months ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Well, if you search this thread for "all out war" there are people that have finished that mode. Can anybody please let me know how to start it? Thanks.

You need to start all multiballs, AND play all modes (both the Alien and Aliens movie modes). Then All Out War is qualified.

1 week later
#23397 7 months ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

There was a software update that applied less voltage to the beacons. Is it supposed to be 8 volts? I don't know, but certainly much slower than that video.

Correct, we dropped the power from 100% to 75% in the last version to eliminate noise.

You can increase the power to each coil/output in the adjustments. Go to Adjustments menu, then Coils. You can set the Beacon Topper to the highest "stronger" value. That will not bring it back to 100% 12V, but it should be close.

1 week later
#23476 6 months ago
Quoted from shaneo:

I did misnomer. It's late and I'll get to this first thing in morn.
If I have no luck on that ave, I can sort out SSH to the FullT's Utilite if you believe that may assist you.
Avrdude is bitbaked into FullT's Yocto image, and I have seen it do stuff, but have but too lazy to log external, but they will be there somewhere.

The sensor code is nowhere on the images for Alien or Full Throttle. They were not designed to be field-upgradeable.

1 week later
#23537 6 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Not that I know about... high score/champ registration works fine AFAIK. Are you running 1.2 code?

This is important - in 1.1 or earlier, the shaker motor, knocker, and lighting effects would all trigger at about the same time after a high score entry, causing a current surge. In 1.2 these are spaced out more to prevent this.

1 month later
#23671 4 months ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Lamp test somewhat tricky as the GI at the start of the string light white, but the pops are green.

The single lamp test only uses the preferred color of the LED. GI is normally white and the pops are normally green.

If you want to test all the lamp colors, use the All Lamps Test instead. This will cycle through the R, G, B components. This can be helpful in isolating a fault that only appears with certain color combinations.

#23674 4 months ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

What I really want on the next code release is an option to turn off the timeout in lamp test..

You mean that it goes back to attract mode if you leave it unattended for too long?

It's supposed to happen only if the coin door is closed, however it looks like that doesn't always work. I'll put that on the todo list.

#23679 4 months ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Perhaps I’m missing something here, but is there a way to reset the high score table?

Go into test mode, select Actions, then select Reset High Scores.

A countdown timer will appear. To confirm, press up to change NO to YES, and then press enter one more time.

2 months later
#23887 75 days ago

Have you tested each trough switch individually in test mode? It sounds like they are reading active all the time, so the game thinks the ball ejects are not working.

#23896 74 days ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

That was one of the things I was suspecting so I took a little paperclip to each ball, even though some of them was a tiny bit magnetically charged it was not enough to hold the paperclip.

Thanks for sending me a debug log. Magnetized balls is very likely what is going on, from the log data I don't see very many trough switches changing when it kicks a ball out.

1 month later
#24082 43 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I’ve found this manual:
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/rules-early-rule-set-posted-by-rs-pinball-version-0-8/
It doesn’t explain how to launch «  all out war ». Is anyone know?
I wonder if there are differences with 1.2 but seems mostly the same.

The rules for All Out War have been the same since 1.0. You must play all modes (ALIEN and ALIENS), a total of 10 modes, AND you must play all 4 other multiballs. You can do this in any order. Once you've played everything else, All Out War will light at the center shot. It is an exclusive mode, so you can't start it until the last of the other modes or multiballs is done.

Note that the multiball inserts will clear once all of them have been played, but the game knows that you played them all. Likewise, once you play all of the modes, those inserts also reset.

It is also possible to start it more than once per game, although this would be pretty hard to do.

1 week later
#24258 33 days ago

They must have been wedged in an odd way. 1.2 added extra power to the coil during retries, so it eventually kicks 50% harder than normal. Never seen that happen before.

2 weeks later
#24364 19 days ago

You can throw 50 credits on from the coin door. That should take you a while to rip through them while waiting for a solution.

That's probably the best solution. There's no way to get the light on in free play mode.

Max credits is 10 by default, but you can increase it to 99 in the adjustments.

#24388 15 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, the coffee can Queen was awful. Not Back Alley Matt's fault either, but the whole thing didn't work.
He wasn't happy with it, there were going to be issues getting it made in China, was just a general disaster. She was too small, the effect wasn't good, was just a fail.
And that's fine, the test is if you can fail and fix it, and luckily I was able to sell the LCD.

The coffee can ("Alien chamber" as I referred to it in the code) was a prime example of the frustration of not having a physical game in front of me to work on. I did all of the programming on the can with almost zero information about how it was constructed - no motor specs, no sensor placement data, and no pictures of it. One of the earliest complaints was that the wiring harness would eventually come apart after extended use - I had no idea how the cables were even mounted. The code was almost completely lifted from the Valentino mechanism on Full Throttle, but the mech wasn't the same, so of course it didn't work.

I could tell similar stories about the lockup and the magnetic tongue. Thankfully I eventually got my game and was able to get those working pretty well in the last code release.

I supported the change to the LCD mainly because I knew that it would give the programmers more control of the situation, and it did.

#24403 13 days ago
Quoted from dung:

Freeplay was fixed by a software reset.
The drop targets register in test, but not in game. They register as active when up instead of down, which is weird? APC lights do not come on, ever, no sounds in game. I will have to test the apc lights in test to see if they work but I wasn't paying attention when I was doing it earlier.

0.94 was a special release of code made for some games which had drop target boards with inverted switch logic. AFAIK very few games had these. It sounds like your game has the "correct" hardware that will work with newer code, so this is actually good.

1 week later
#24444 4 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

All the resets happened once a multi was involved but moreover ambush and the air lock. I can’t say now with the caps but it could come from an exception not dealt within the code...

If the attract mode comes back quickly, within a few secs, then it's software. If it does a full reboot,with BIOS message and beeps then it is more likely a power supply issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bcd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside