• 24,463 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by noitbe1
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aeonblack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 4 years ago

I'm absolutely interested in this! Like others have said, this is a dream theme. I've been dying for a solid sci-fi pin for a long time now. However, with a pre-order locked in for TBL, it's going to take great, hand-drawn artwork and licensed sound/callouts for me to jump in on this one. The shot map, for me, isn't bad by any means, it's great for what it is and I trust that it will be fun, but I worry it may end up being a bit too limited for replay value. You have me interested, Heighway, now get me excited!

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

There's a lot of wasted space in a pin cab/backbox. I wouldn't mind seeing them trim the backbox down even further and find a creative way to have it collapse into the cab, so that's it's easier to transport.

Well, innovation has to start somewhere.

#130 4 years ago

With April 2015 as the timeline, we should be seeing artwork tomorrow.

1 month later
#461 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Andrew said the fibre optic ramps and the topper will be purchasable upgrades for the standard. Now, how much they cost and whether there is a price difference to make the standard + mods any cheaper, that's still a question.

$1700 difference between standard and LE. You could powdercoat every single piece of metal on a pin, give it a topper and put mirrorblades, led's and fibre optics everywhere for that much money. I should bloody well hope that the standard+mods will be cheaper!

#465 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sort of hoping the LE will have something that sets it apart from standard ( maybe extra mode or something) beyond the " bling" ...making it a true LE....will anxiously wait and see....

I don't. My wallet can't take any more punishment from the manufacturers. I want a "complete" game for the 6k+gst and shipping, or I'm going to have to stick to older games. It's too hard to justify close to 10k for a game unless it's something that really stands out (like TBL, for me anyways)

2 weeks later
#514 4 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

In my view it would be pretty hard to balls-up an Alien/s themed pinball machine given the amount of awesome "on tap" source material, not impossible but it would take a special kind of effort to get this one badly wrong. If Dennis has given the project a good steer then I wouldn't panic too much about its potential, it really comes down to HP's commitment and investment to the finished product.
Just hope they don't cut any corners to meet an over optimistic deadline.

Trying to make it "family friendly" would absolutely ruin it, as an example. If they stick to source material and use source sound/music/etc. (or at least something that is close, in terms of music), then you are right, it would be pretty tough to make a mess of it. For me, using unlicensed sound clips instead of actual sound clips from the movie(s) could kill it. Sound is a big part of a game to me, I don't want to listen to crappy voice actors try to do their best impression of the actors in the film(s).

#519 4 years ago

Probably counting the chest burster in the top left as the 4th toy.

Once I see the art I'll know how I feel about it. I was never really excited about the shot map, so the art and sound would have to be something special to get me excited enough.

#524 4 years ago

I can't remember, and don't see it mentioned in the original post, but does the airlock have a magnet or ball lock of some kind on it?

#601 4 years ago

Just a cool thought for a feature of this game, since there is the lcd on the pf and I seem to recall some talk/possibility of side panel screens on the side of the cabinet? I don't know if that's verified, anyways, my idea is that when the ball drops into a subway, maybe the screen shows the alien in a duct, and the possibility of a game mode where another ball drops into play while the subway ball is held and you have to make shots to shoot the flamethrower and push it back. If you succeed, you get 2 ball multiball, if you fail, the other ball pops out and back into play (possibly with some penalty? I don't know)

Maybe we are past that point in development, but if you could implement that it would freaking awesome and would really capture what, especially, the first alien is about. Since you listed that there will be multiple modes possibly, with alien and aliens included, if you're in Aliens mode you could sub the flamethrower for the auto-turret.

Anyways, while I'm going to wait to pick this game up until it's released, I am very excited about it and look forward to the upcoming details of it.

1 month later
#720 4 years ago

A little off-topic (to the pinball anyways), but check out these new Alien posters by Tyler Stout that Mondo is going to be selling today.

AlienRed.jpg AlienGreen.jpg

#725 4 years ago

I honestly just find it baffling why companies would refuse to hire on an artist to really make something special, something that stands out and is just as beautiful as a piece of art as it is a functional, fun machine. They put so much work into the code, the layout, design, toys, etc, and then it seems like they half-ass it with some seemingly thrown together photoshop art.

#727 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's not that simple unfortunately. Greg Freres works for Stern now for instance. He's the artist behind some of the most beloved games out there. Think about how many people love the art on Fathom or Elvira ATPM and Scared Stiff.
But when you get in bed with a license your hands can often be tied. I believe there are creative solutions that Stern doesn't want to take the time and effort to pursue, and smart licenses can lead to more creative packages (see Metallica) but that's just the reality of so much of the photoshopped PR collages.

Good point. I guess I should say that I wish these pin manufacturers would take some risks and really push for creative use of the licenses. Barring that, try an original theme. It's been too damned long.

#730 4 years ago

Yes, but as far as I'm concerned, only two of those are actually pin manufacturers (heighway ships FT right away, so I'll count them as one of the two), the others are just people with a dream. When people have the machines in their house that they ordered, then I'll consider those companies manufacturers.

#736 4 years ago

I'm not sure where the confusion came from, but I wasn't complaining about Heighway or Alien, just making a general comment on pinball art packages over the past decade or so. I'm very excited to see what Heighway puts together, regardless of what it ends up looking like. HOWEVER, the art is a big part of a pinball for me, and it could easily break my interest in this game. There is a ton of potential for the license, and the platform gives a lot of freedom to do really cool stuff...but if I don't get excited looking at it, that's a pretty big deal to me. Sound, art, shots, flow, etc, all of these factor in to what makes a machine great (for me), but the only one that factors in 100% of the time is art (meaning that even when the machine is off and just sitting there, I can still take in the artwork on the machine). That is FOR ME PERSONALLY. I don't really care how all these different aspects affect everyone else, I'm speaking only for myself.

Anyways, this is all derailing this thread. Until Heighway shows us what the art package is, we shouldn't even be commenting on it and I do apologize for steering the thread that way. Right now, I'm fucking excited for this pin, and that's all the matters!

2 weeks later
#795 4 years ago

I was kind of unsure, then I realized, there are ramps missing, no cutouts, no lcd, no toys, no art and now I feel pretty damned good about this. I was kind of unsure about the shot map, but it definitely seems pretty cool once you see it in action (sort of, rules will change things a bit). My main concern is going to be how shots tie to together.

6 months later
#2168 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Aurich been testing out ideas on his car ??
image.jpg

"Woah, that's a really cool PT Cruiser!" - No one ever

#2186 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

From the Alien Shot Map:
A: "Space Jockey outlanes and ball saver feature. Danger zone behind flipper adds extra drain risk for careless player."
Glad to hear the Space Jockey may not be forgotten in the Alien pin. This mysterious set piece can only grow more relevant and fleshed out in films yet to come but did make quite an impression in the original Alien film.
Fact: - The Entire Space Jockey scene in Alien was almost scrapped due to the high price tag. Just the set cost a walloping $500,000 to create. But Scott fought, and the alien pilot stayed.
Fact: - The original Space Jockey piece is 27-feet tall.
Fact: - Geiger himself airbrushed the detail for this enormous set for the Space Jockey scene in Alien. The sculpted walls were later used in the egg chamber scene as well.
space-jockey.jpg

I'll take a 500k practical set over 500k worth of CGI any day of the week

1 month later
#2835 3 years ago

I have been eagerly following this game for some time now, and I think the only thing holding me back from pre-ordering at this point is the playfield artwork. Any ideas on when we're going to see that? A month? Two?

#2904 3 years ago

I want this pin to have the outlandish, stand-offish type of artwork that Centaur had. That's what the artwork of this game SHOULD be: a love letter to Geiger and his beautiful biomechanical beast he created. However, I can pretty much guarantee that Fox wouldn't go for that because it's not as accessible. So I'm guessing it will just be a mishmash of bits and pieces from Alien and Aliens, with a central xeno somewhere to tie it all together. I know that's not necessarily Aurich's style, but it might be Fox's style, which means it's now his style. We know it's hand drawn artwork (don't we?), but that doesn't mean it won't be a composite style.

Anyways, just as before, I will be waiting until I see that before I make a decision on it.

Does anyone know what the original estimated release date of full throttle was, and when the first ones originally began to get delivered?

#2907 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not exactly hand drawn artwork, though I have hand drawn elements in it. Nothing approved yet, so I can't really say how it will all work out. You're not too off the mark with your guess, but I'd probably describe it with more positive terms.
Would I do things differently if I had total control over everything? Sure. But it's a license and it comes with realities. Given that if they approve the playfield I've done I'll be happy with it. Honestly happy, not fake smile happy. I hope to hear something soon.
The Standard backglass wasn't my design, I basically came in and realized something that was in place before I can on board. But I think it will look great lit up, and again, given the realities I'm happy with it. The egg is a pretty special image for me, so while I get that it's not "exciting" or "new" I can't be mad about having it represent the Standard edition of the game.
One advantage of the way we're working on this game right now is the playfield art will be approved before I do the LE design. So I intend to take whatever freedoms they allow on the playfield as my jump off point for the LE art and see where that goes.

I didn't really mean for it to come across as negative! Hah. I guess I'm just burned out on the "same old" process of photoshopping elements all over the playfield. The actual layout styling isn't all that different from 90's pins, but the delivery really takes the soul out of it. I'm confident that you will execute it tastefully, though, and your confidence and openness about it all is definitely a positive in my books. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

With the LE do you think we will see broad differences between it and the standard edition (in regards to the artwork), or will it just be a more premium version of the same thing? Obviously tough to say at this point, without any approval, just wondering if there is a sort of framework plan in place for the art packages, if all things go as planned.

#2921 3 years ago

I can't say either way until I see the finalized art for both versions. As bigdaddy07 said, knowing what the screen is going to be used for is also going to make a big difference, and if it's just scores and such then I don't see much reason for the larger LCD. Gameplay is absolutely going to matter, but the shot map looks good to me, so I'm not too concerned. At this point, I would take any new information!

1 month later
#3348 3 years ago

Once my machines are set up, they are tightly packed in a row. Swapping out a backglass would mean sliding the machine right out to do so. Honestly, I know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't ever bother with that, and that's fine. I think a lot of you need to realize that there are limitations that go along with switching to one technology over another. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You want that nice lcd backbox display? Then get used to the fact that, just like your tv, when it's not on it's going to be blank. It's not a big deal.

That being said, kudos to Andrew for coming up with a solution for those of you who will never be happy.

#3387 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It would be awesome to get a peek at some of the playfield. I don't like preorders well in advance of production but I do think releasing some of the development builds interest. Pins are expensive so if anyone is going to buy a nib pin, it will probably be only one in a long span of time. Showing the game early might mean that you will prevent someone from buying a pin in the short term in order to save/wait for Alien.

If someone can't wait less than a week to get a pin before seeing the Alien PF artwork, they were going to buy a pin anyways.

#3451 3 years ago

Also, keep in mind that everything that is on the LE will be available to non-le users, should they choose to add those options (can't remember exactly what they all were off the top of my head).

#3456 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I just would like to know how much the add-on options are going to be. Also to note is that the prices have been creeping up on both models. Last April the Standard was 6150 now 6300 and the LE was 7850 no 8050. I'm guessing this is Heighway adjusting for inflation.

I believe it was said last year, when this came up the first time, that the individual components (save for powdercoating/painting), would add up to the same cost that they have to get an LE. I don't have the time to dig through 70 pages to find that, but I distinctly remember that (or something to that effect) being mentioned.

#3551 3 years ago

So...you're not allowed to love what you do for work? Or love the IP you are working on? Or be excited because you think other fans will be excited by what you have done?

Kaneda, I think you might be downright stupid.

#3557 3 years ago

I just put my deposit down on an LE! I've been mulling it over, and to be honest, it just has to be comparable or better to Stern and I'll be happy.

#3562 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Welcome to the Club!!!....an awesome machine and good times on the horizon...

Thanks! I don't know if I got the last one, or they haven't updated the site, but I'm only worried that at this point they were all already spoken for and I'll get an email from Andrew saying I either have to wait for someone to drop or go with a standard. But, I'm not too concerned, people always end up bailing on these things.

#3569 3 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Popped my ignore button cherry! Do I get a cake with candles?

You and me both.

#3583 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

You guys that have ordered an LE, are you ordering from Cointaker or direct from the website? Or is there another preferred method?

I ordered direct from the website. Either way it's shipping from the states for me. Cointaker pricing may fluctuate, but direct you are getting the benefit that the price now will be locked in. Other than that, it's all the same.

#3623 3 years ago

Expect that the playfield artwork will be shown on Thursday, and you will be pleasantly surprised when it shows up earlier. But also, have your pitchforks and frothy pinside rants at the ready if it doesn't get revealed until Friday.

#3629 3 years ago

Personally, I would prefer a darker green to a lime green, but I do want it to be green. I don't really care if it matches other themes. The beacons on top of the LE probably won't match other themes, either.

Edit: Not to mention the little placard that says "Alien 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Number XXX/500"...that probably wouldn't match either.

#3632 3 years ago

Aurich/Andrew, will the playfield art reveal also reveal what's on the playfield display? I know that that's a dynamic thing, but has that been finalized to any degree yet?

#3635 3 years ago

Thanks for the answer! Despite that, it is still going to be awesome for us to be getting ANY new info on the game. Playfield artwork is a huge thing for me, so I'm pretty pumped for tomorrow.

#3656 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Nitro is the Canadian distributor for Heighway. Not only is the price same, but we include shipping, 1 year warranty & tech support to customers nationwide. Ordering direct provides no additional benefit + you pay for shipping. I should also note, based on our discussions with Cointaker in the USA their pricing does not fluctuate either.

Would be nice if this was listed on their site! Shit.

Edit: It is. I'm not a smart man

#3717 3 years ago

Personally, I'm glad I preordered. Will be interesting to see how the LE compares to this (which I'm happy with). I'm looking forward to staring straight into the gaping maw of the Alien as I flip!

#3744 3 years ago

My initial thoughts:

I love the balance the playfield strikes between dark and brooding (Alien) and some of the more lighthearted stuff from Aliens. The scanline effect on the xeno(s) above the flippers is top notch, love it. The xeno below the upper left flipper has a really cool 32-bit look to it that I like. I like that the hypersleep section has a bright, easy to see icon, but also a faded out picture of the hypersleep chamber behind it. Some nice depth to that. It would have been kind of cool to see something similar to that over by the APC. I absolutely love the insert designs, the font choices are spot on and with RGB lighting, this thing is going to be crazy awesome. The cartoony xeno up at the top, superimposed over the helmet (that IS a helmet, right?) looks great, and the blending effect there just really pops. The red of the helmet visor DOES remind me more of 2001 than Alien, though (not that that's a bad thing, and really, a helmet is a helmet).

I have one issue, and it's the Nostromo. I get the "trail" behind it, but it sort of pops out weird from the playfield with the aura around the ship. Was it just not standing out enough without it? I can see how that would be an issue. Maybe if the colour was a bit more subdued, it wouldn't jump out as much? Anyways, it's a pretty minor nitpick when you've done so many other things right.

Good job Aurich! Don't let all the naysayers and nitpickers bring you down in the coming months

#3783 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is the red area a reference to something? Reminds me of Ghostbusters 2's river of slime.

I thought it was a helmet initially, but I didn't notice the walls of the ship on the sides.

Quoted from Perspex:

Loving the space jockey ship wrapping around the top, it shows off some of that great Giger artwork I was hoping to see. The Weyland-Yutani inserts are great...hopefully more will come on the cabinet, etc. The ship flame trails might have to grow on me, but overall I think it's great work!
Actually maybe that's not the ship from 426? Either way, I like it.

It appears to be inside the ship on LV 426. Not sure why the choice for red, but it doesn't look bad.

eSy3P[1]_(resized).jpg

#3792 3 years ago

Can we get a better picture of the standard edition cabinet on the left, shown on the flyer, if possible? It seems to show the playfield (with artwork) in the cabinet.

#3851 3 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I think the two patches would look great on the apron and maybe removed from the playfield. I like them, they just look out of place out in space.

Then you're *really* going to hate it when all the inserts are flashing RGB colours! Space is almost entirely devoid of light and everything. Everything we see is lightyears away. So, would you prefer a black playfield with nothing on it except for some specks of white? Of course not. Do the patches (and the nostromo, for me) jump out? Yes, and during gameplay, you want that, especially for a new player. Being able to easily identify things is great. Also, during play, you're pretty much entirely going to phase out the artwork with RGB lighting and a screen, so I'm not too concerned about it. It will look darker printed and in person than it will in these pictures.

#3891 3 years ago

Proof that you should think about what you say before saying it. You can edit your post, but it's too late:

AbFWpeT[1]_(resized).png

1 week later
#4532 3 years ago

So, in regards to the LE, do you know yet which art is going to be different from the standard? Is it just going to be the backbox? Cab? Anything on the PF?

#4564 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Cool website! I'm a big Punisher fan & found this! Punisher meets Pinball! lol
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC10755#.VqJK8I-cGCg

Punisher MAX pin based around Garth Ennis run as well as Born? I never realized that was a dream theme until right now...

2 weeks later
#4658 3 years ago

I know we all love alien for the sci-fi elements, but lets not forget that the first movie is more about horror than it is about science. If you approach a horror movie expecting a masterpiece, you're in for a bad time. People do dumb shit in horror movies all the time. With Ridley Scott, all you're guaranteed is gorgeous cinematics and spectacle. Combine the two and what do you get? Gorgeous looking dick monsters. So, you can criticize Prometheus for not being everything you thought it could have been, or you can enjoy it for what it is: beautiful people struggling with throbbing, aggressive, slimey dick monsters in space. I know which option I'll be going with! *unzips pants*

#4798 3 years ago

Man, I'm simply pumped on this game! I think the playfield artwork looks even better with it being a bit darker and a bit shinier than the full scans of the artwork were. I REALLY like the inserts, and being that that's what I will see most when I'm playing, I'm excited. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date Andrew and the rest of Heighway!

#4851 3 years ago

The best part of that one is that they used a picture of Bolaji Badejo (the man in the suit) with the helmet portion off.

17q5t08q5nf8rjpg[1]_(resized).jpg

#4853 3 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Up to 80% now. The use of the word "rad" isn't appreciated these days.

The hell it isn't!

#4856 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's because he dared to dream.

I know that I, for one, still believe in him.

#4878 3 years ago

As long as it's Ridley Scott directing, I'm onboard with all three. Lets just hope he picks some good writers for these...

#4898 3 years ago

Can't wait to see some modded eggs that open up and light up

#4932 3 years ago

Getting the licensing and rights taken care of takes time to sort out. On a licensed game, that pretty much means everything that you can see. Pretty much everyone who has ever dipped their toes into those waters for the first time quickly discovers that everything takes ten times as long to get resolved. Are you really going to fault Heighway for making an unrealistic release date in the first place? They are making progress and they are showing us everything they can at this point, and being great about quelling all the concerns that they legally can and, generally, are just being really nice people to everyone here. Seriously, everyone, relax. It's okay to have concerns, but at least be reasonable about them.

1 week later
#5073 3 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I'll be sending my deposit over shortly, I'm in for a standard machine

Awww yeah! It will be nice for us to be able to compare our different machines. I'm not going for the larger display (not right away anyways), do you plan on it?

1 week later
#5151 3 years ago

Hoooooly crap! I am even more pumped now!

#5249 3 years ago

Just as long as the wireforms are not lime green on my le, I would love wireforms.

2 weeks later
#5314 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I get the feeling that the next time we'll see something significant is when they can show us PF, plastics, toys and EVERYTHING that isn't final LCD stuff.
Honestly, I'd prefer that too. It's been long enough now since anything major has been revealed (playfield) that it'd pay to wait a little bit more and show everything together.

You would pay to wait?

64899366[1]_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#5454 3 years ago

Just a heads up, since it's not being advertised much elsewhere, but the 30th Anniversary version of the Aliens comic comes out tomorrow as well!

amazon.com link »

Lots of fantastic artwork in there, and the story is fun.

#5470 3 years ago

Just picked up both the Prometheus and Aliens records, and I managed to score one of the Killian Eng Alien posters (should look good next to his Mad Max Fury Road poster). Was hoping to grab mondo's liquid filled record and possibly the Jay Shaw x-ray poster, but no dice (which is what I expected).

#5472 3 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I was on the site right at the exact time they went on sale and everything was sold out within the couple of seconds it took me to put a poster in my cart.

Welcome to the world of Mondo. Limited supply, ridiculous demand.

2 months later
#6821 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For a few years now I have suggested companies put a micro camera on the apron, centered on the flippers looking up field. Not as cool but maybe one at the top of the playfield also, looking down.

This is actually the first use for the large backglass screen that has interested me. It would have to be homebrew, without a doubt, but it would be a really cool mod to do to the game. But, I'm happy sticking with the smaller screen for now. I can always add that in later.

4 weeks later
#7018 2 years ago

Companies generally do not discuss things like credit rating with people who have no stake in it, and usually not customers, just people who have a financial stake in the company. TL;DR: as a customer you have no business asking...you either deal with the company or you don't. Luckily for customers, this is the reason a one-time small deposit is good. Worst case scenario, you're out a small amount, and if the game comes out and you don't like it, get a refund. It's not like it's an all-or-nothing scenario like you're presenting it. Anyways, if you're not a customer, relax, it doesn't matter. I choose to believe in Heighway, and if that ends up burning me on my deposit, so be it. Nobody is forcing anyone to take a risk on this: you can just wait until the game comes out and get it then.

If I had to guess as to why the credit rating is lower, it's because Heighway is taking all the risk. Do you think those deposits are paying to build the games? To pay to tour around and show it off and hype it up? There are all kinds of things that cost money in setting up a company, and if you're borrowing money to do that, it's going to hurt your credit. Just a theory, though. I have no idea. I'm just a guy on the internet.

Edit: Just to note, failed companies is something every entrepreneur should have on their resume. If you've never failed, you have no idea why you're succeeding and how to avoid failure in the future.

#7058 2 years ago

I would again like to re-iterate: *no one is forcing anyone to preorder/put down a deposit on this game*

If you don't feel comfortable with putting down a deposit, then don't. There won't be any shortage of machines available for purchase once it's released. It's that simple.

2 weeks later
#7284 2 years ago

I think you all need

loweredExpectations[1] (resized).jpeg

Expect that you're going to get some stickers and whatnot, and if you get more than that you can get pumped.

1 week later
#7446 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Not yet, as Aurich said, we are submitting files to Fox for approval. Next week we start shooting the promo and you guys can finally see (and hear) everything.

Thank you for that, I can now ignore this thread for another week.

3 weeks later
#7810 2 years ago

Where's the Space Jockey/Engineer?

#8117 2 years ago

Looks freaking awesome! I'm also onboard with darker rubbers, but I can change that out myself, no biggie. Looks like it plays awesome, and the whole package totally fulfills the dream-theme for me. I was in on LE #74 months and months ago, and I'm still 100% in. Can't wait to get this in my house!

#8647 2 years ago

I want the LE legs to be gigantic phallic biomech dicks with big biomech looking orifices where the feet are, and I want the coinslots to look like a big gaping mouth right in front of my crotch and I want there to be a little steam generator inside that blows steam out randomly on my crotch, and I want all the rails to be big veiny tubes with veiny hoses and shit all over them and I want the entire package to always be slimey and moist looking, and to be dripping random goo. If you're going to do custom trim, you might as well make it all about sexual organs. There isn't enough Geiger in this machine and you all know it.

But you know what? That's not going to happen, just like 95% of these suggestions are never going to happen. Give me whatever, because if I don't like it I can always change it myself. I personally would prefer a textured matte black, so I can swap out games sometime down the line and it not clash with the theme, but I'll accept whatever.

1 week later
#8913 2 years ago

Honestly, I liked playing Full Throttle, but the theme isn't for me. I like the shot map in it, but I couldn't care less about motogp (and I say that as someone who owns 5 motorcycles). With that in mind, I don't care about changing the playfield out, and I won't until I see what the next theme they come out with is. So, based on timelines so far, I doubt I'll need to care for a couple more years. In the meantime, it will be an Alien pin, which is all I care about anyways. Alien is a dream theme for me, and as far as I'm concerned Heighway has knocked it out of the park with this one. Would I have done some (minor) things differently? Sure, but I'm not making the pin, so I can live with those minor things I would change if I was.

#8938 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's a fun game to play. Shame some people seem to have a hang up on the theme.
rd

Thing is, I really enjoying playing it, I just have limited space for pins so it's not a must-have theme for me. I might consider picking up a pf for it once I have my Alien, but I think it would just be to play for a while then swap back out with Alien.

1 month later
#9439 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You mean the change that people insisted would have no impact after expo..??
Wonder if that LE art is finalized and approved yet...

Yeah, and as an LE preorder, it sucks, but honestly if it means a better product, I can wait.

#9460 2 years ago

Andrew and the Heighway crew don't owe any of us anything. They don't have to show us any more gameplay, any teasers, anything. They did an announce trailer that showed how the game plays, what the art looks like and that is simply all they needed to do. So, please, don't immediately ask for more less than a day after they show you something new.

Ya'll sound like a certain someone: http://i.imgur.com/Q6maFDo.jpg

Be grateful for how open they have been with us so far and show some damn appreciation!

That being said, Andrew, update the timelines for us as soon as you can. I will need to sell a machine to make room for Alien, and I don't want to do that until I know what the timelines are looking like.

#9478 2 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Meh. They're just trying to hold him to his own word. Andrew said we'd get an update AND an email. No email. And that really wasn't an update, just a video showing some of the "Find Jonesy" clips with recycled shots of the ball that were used in the "Bug Hunt" teaser. Teasers aren't updates. Questions have been asked and directed to Heighway and team, and questions are still unanswered. People just get tired of being strung along, which is basically how I've felt this year on this title. Dates promised turned into dates missed. I'd just be happy not getting any "updates"... You can't promise to deliver, fail, and not expect any noise from the peanut gallery.
Here's to hoping she'll be done soon!

If people don't want to be strung along, they are free to not preorder and to wait until the game comes out. Nobody is forcing anyone to preorder, and there will be plenty of machines available for purchase once the preorders are all out the door.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Total BS! If we have deposits down and are paid in full, they 100% owe us updates for the good faith we placed with our cash. If we were just on a list with no money down, then that would be correct. I'm generally a patient guy and you'll hear few complaints from me, but please don't say we are not owed anything when many of us have had cash down on this for many months.

For your deposit, they owe you one thing and one thing only: a spot in line to buy a machine. When you preordered was there a little blurb that said "for your deposit, you will be getting frequent updates"? Because I certainly don't remember that. If you're too impatient to accept that, maybe preorders and deposits are not for you?

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

He has already updated your request...30 games done in the next 9 days....100 more next month.

Finding it hard to believe they are going to get 30 games built in a week, so I would like an updated update...to the update.

Quoted from ezeltmann:

I'm in the "take your time , do it right category".
Timelines are often presented as a "best case" scenario.
Things can and will go wrong with that plan.

100% agree, and all I'm looking for is for those timelines to be updated as best Heighway can. I'm expecting to get my machine in March. If it shows up before then, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but if I was given a realistic timeline of a month before that I would sell a machine to make room a month sooner.

#9541 2 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Hey Andrew. What about us pinsiders who put money down on the Alien pin thru a distributor? I put some money down to hold an LE model, so I was just curious where we would be on the production list. No hurry though, just curious.

Would like to know the answer to this as well.

2 weeks later
#9714 2 years ago

I'm pumped on replacing an outdated, boring and ugly toy with something that is flexible and offers more room to give the game atmosphere.

To those complaining, tell me, which reminds you more of the movies, this:

or this?

1300x-Alien_Queen2[1] (resized).jpg

'nuff said.

1 week later
#9940 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If the LEs production starts this month when do we get to see the artwork? Is it the same as SEs?
Doesn't really matter at this point as long as games ship

This really needs addressing, so many of us are in for LE's and really haven't seen what we will be getting (not completely, anyways).

#9948 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Does it really matter, honestly? I'm not getting an LE, but the reason why is that it's just not that much different from SE (other than features you can add). If you are getting the large LCD screen, there is virtually no room for artwork to be much different. Side art could be different, but if games are in a row it never matters much there either.
Not saying overall package won't be better, but the artwork differential between models will be small at best.

No, it doesn't really matter, I'm in on my LE regardless of what it turns out like...but with all the talk over the past year of "LE's will have different artwork" and we still have not gotten a conclusive answer as to what that means. Will the plastics have different art? Will the outside of the cabinet? Will the inner walls of the cab have different "art"? Backglass? Playfield? As far as I know, we don't have an answer to any of those questions, and as an LE buyer, that's just weird to me when they say they are making these games in a month. Why no answer? Are we still waiting for approval?

For many of those, we can deduce an answer, such as the playfield. Pretty sure that will be exactly the same, there is no way they would still have those awaiting fox approval and be confident they were making these games in a month. On the site, the cabs are both all black, and the backglass artwork is the same, as well as the side panel art. Are those still meant to be stand-ins for the real games to give us an idea, or do those represent final products? So if the answer to those is "yep, they are as shown", what does that leave? Plastics?

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, I'm as excited about this game as anyone else here is, this is my dream theme and it's looking amazing to me....but at this point there should be no mystery left about what these games are going to look like, and the fact that there is, that concerns me in terms of production timelines. I think these are fair questions to ask at this point in the games design and production phase.

EDIT: I am now remembering (thanks to the post a few above me) that Andrew mentioned LE buyers will also get standard artwork, which leads me to believe that the LE artwork would be side panels and maybe the backbox (not sure how heighway backbox art will work on these games).

#9980 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

whats up with all those screw heads on the left return ramp? in the pic it sticks out lie a sore thumb

When I first looked at it, my thought was that it was intended to look like rivets on a duct to simulate crawling through a duct with a flamethrower. But maybe that's just me rationalizing.

1 week later
#10227 2 years ago

Honestly, I'm still pissed off that the cabinet isn't made up of Giger-esque (since, unless Andrew can raise the dead, that's the best we can get) biomech orifices and dicks. Why do the legs just look like angled pieces of metal? Why not biomech dicks? Are you guys really going to stand there and tell me those coin slots wouldn't be a million times better if they were dripping facehugger orifices? Come on.

Serious oversight on the part of Heighway.

But, real talk, the beacons look like shit because they are too tall, but I'm never going to look up there so I give exactly 0 f*cks about them. My advice to everyone in this thread: give less f*cks.

#10324 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Agreed. When I see people expecting this to be "downright chill-inducing" I have to laugh. In the grand scheme of special effects, this is a crappy little mechanical toy. Every effect in every pinball machine is. Doesn't mean it isn't neat, and sometimes cool. I still love blowing up the castle in MM. But they're just not very sophisticated effects. There's no chance this is going to have more than a crude resemblance to the way the scene in the movie looked, and that's OK. That said, some people expected Smaug to breath fire and fly around their basement too, so this isn't too surprising.

With enough drugs, anything is possible in a pinball machine. Everyone was going on and on about what colours they wanted their rails in, they should have just been asking for LSD dipped rails.

#10357 2 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

For all you LE pre-order's. What do you think will be the actual time frame when the game is delivered to you. My guess at this point would be April, 2017. I'm dying every time I see more released. I'm soooo... hyped!!!

I just keep moving my date back according to what Heighway (unofficially) moves the date back to. So right now I'm sitting at about april as well. From what I can tell they are coming up on 2 months behind schedule for release (from what they said in october/november), and with time required for roll out and shipping and assuming my LE won't be first in line, I think April is a safe bet right now, but I'm honestly leaning more towards May or June as well.

It's a dream theme for me, and I've also traded a few games in this time I've been waiting, so I don't mind the wait, as long as it's done by summer and done right, I can't really complain too hard...I've already been waiting years for it!

#10397 2 years ago

I think you're all a bunch of crotchety old nerds, I'm pumped for Dialed In AND Alien. If you're not, that's fine, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should piss on it in every thread you get a chance to on Pinside. This is an Alien thread, not a Dialed In thread, and despite me being pumped on Dialed In, if you want to talk about that game, go to one of the threads for that game and talk about it there, it has no place in an Alien thread.

#10460 2 years ago

I would rather an original theme for Heighway after Alien. Licensing has made this one take long enough.

#10466 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

That's not a bad call, unlicensed, licenced, unlicensed, licenced could be a good way of getting more games on the line and available to order plus offer up some cool licences with some unique unlicensed ideas.

That's my thoughts, and it makes for a more unique lineup. It would be cool to see Heighway continue with more "adult" oriented games, and in an original title that could end up being pretty cool. That being said, I'm sure they already have what they're doing next in the works, so I'm just interested to see what it ends up being. Not as interested as I am in getting my Alien, though...

Quoted from Wickerman2:

FullTH was original and it took a while to build the games and get them shipped. The pinside review process for Alien probably delayed it as much as Fox.

That's true, but it was also their first game as a company. By game 3 I would hope they have warehouse, tooling, ordering, etc. mostly sorted out so that production can happen quicker after the design period. I agree, the "pinside process" probably did slow things down, but if that means we end up with a better game, then I'm all for it. On an original title I don't think there will be as much passion over little things, because Alien is a really special title for a lot of people.

#10513 2 years ago

Andrew, please send me my Alien LE so I can unsubscribe from this cesspool of a thread. Please. For the love of all that is good in this world, please, let me leave.

#10634 2 years ago

Looks awesome, can't wait for the gameplay video. I'm actually thoroughly impressed by how much the ink on the pf really pops!

Quoted from chadderack:

(Not aurich)
Cmon guys. You're killin aeonflux
aeonblack or whatever his name is

Don't worry, I've been dead inside since I joined Pinside.

#10737 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Just the translite and the sideart

Andrew, was there a reason why it took so long for this answer? Myself and others have been asking about this for months, was there more that was initially planned for the LE that ended up getting shelved?

#10744 2 years ago

There is nothing sinister involved - it's simply due process.
There have been a lot of tasks to fulfill with this game.
We have promised updates as and when we get them.
Also, I sometimes take long breaks away from Pinside. I will try and stay around here more often, to answer questions when they arise.

Didn't mean to imply any sinister motive, was just curious. Thanks for the quick answer!

#10798 2 years ago

Filmed in stunning 240p! What year is it?

#10834 2 years ago

We have a modular system. The white area you see under the flippers is a nylon infill. This allows you to drop the entire flipper mechanism out of the playfield in seconds. Undo a few screws, unplug the mech and out it drops.
This is not an oversight or a QC issue. It is 'by design'.
In any case, as we have reported here previously - normal Alien Pinball production games will have 'black infills' instead of white ones

I actually meant to ask this quite a while back, and forgot about it, but does the flipper mechanism "auto-align", so to speak? What I mean is, on a normal flipper assembly you can loosen the flipper posts to change angles and such, does the mechanism work the same way here, or does it have built in "stops" to get them properly aligned? I have not seen the assemblies on a Full Throttle, so I don't really know how they work there either.

#10875 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Alien is the pin for me, the only other themes which would rival it for me would be: "The Warriors", "They Live", or something to do with a creepy carnival... All themes which I'm very doubtful are Heighway's next pin.

Right there with you! Imagine a John Carpenter pin, where all the modes are different movies, and there are sub-modes for each movie with movie-specific goals. And, the wizard mode could be going insane in Mouth Of Madness multiball (and it's fitting as a wizard mode, since it's the last good movie he did lol.

#10887 2 years ago

Heighway doesn't owe us any updates. Be grateful they give us anything, because most other industries wouldn't. Hell, the biggest in this industry doesn't.

#10889 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Any company that's been holding money for years without shipping games owes its customers EVERYTHING.

No they don't. It's a refundable deposit. If you don't like waiting, get a refund. Despite people getting all worked up, refunds have been issued for those who want them. The company does not owe anyone here a single thing. If you put down a deposit, you put a hold on a place in line to buy a machine, if you don't pay when the time comes, your place in line goes to someone else. Your deposit grants you nothing but a chance to buy a machine, it does not grant you an insider look into what's happening behind the scenes. The fact that Heighway does this without needing to is commendable. If you have paid in full for your machine, yeah, you're guaranteed a machine, but you're not guaranteed to get it at a specific time, and, again, you're not guaranteed any information. If all that sounds unappealing for you, don't put down a deposit. They'll make lots of games, it won't be hard to get one once they are released.

The fact that this is an unpopular opinion on here just shows how much people take what Andrew and crew are doing for granted.

#10891 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What!? LOL...he's not curing cancer. He's charging a lot of money for a game that was supposed to be out April 2015. Look, I like Andrew and how open he's been with the collector community. My statement wasn't about him...it was about what you said:

F that...that's a bunch of BS. Don't treat these people like deities. That's what people did with Jpop. I'd like to think we're all smarter now.

Not sure how anything I said paints the picture that I deify anyone, I'm just explaining why they don't owe you anything. Like I said, if you don't like waiting, don't wait. Nobody is forcing you to put down a deposit. I just wish people would stop acting like they are pre-ordering something with a set-in-stone ship date. You are putting down a deposit for a spot in line to buy a machine once it becomes available. I don't remember reading anything when I put my deposit down that said "we will provide you with frequent updates on the state of the machine and the reasoning for why the machine is in that state, and we will absolutely ship when we estimate we will". Nothing even close to that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you can't handle the "stress" of spending money on a deposit, then don't put down any deposits.

#10895 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Id agree with Aeonblack - they dont have to give any updates, they could just Stern it up and give you nothing.
However its in their best interests to give frequent communication, since unlike stern who is a long time pin builder, Heighway has yet to really prove they can mass produce machines.
I appretiate that Andrew personally comes on here and adresses issues and concerns. I do think if he didnt alot more people would be pulling their deposits.

Exactly, they don't have to do any of the communication stuff, but they do. That's all I'm really saying here, that people seem to take for granted that Andrew and all the Heighway staff/contributors are here answering questions and updating us not because they are in any way required to, but because they want to (whether that be for love of the theme, love of the game, giving themselves a better public image or whatever). I think that's commendable, and I think a lot of people forget that they don't have to do any of that. That doesn't mean we deify them or put them on some pedestal, it just means it's a nice change compared to Stern.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Andrew gave a date. April 2015. Then "in two weeks" 500 times.

I won't. Last deposit I put down on a pin was in 2014. That will be the last time I ever do it. Anyone who continues to do it should only do it with 100% transparency and constant information flow. Otherwise, let these companies build these games on their own dime...when they have something finished to sell, then pay.

Yes, but that date isn't anything set in stone. It was an estimated date given the information they had at the time, and as that information updates, the timeline updates. The only difference between what happens here and over at Stern is that they don't update you as their information changes. I personally prefer the updates over the game just shipping two years later with radio silence in between.

#10898 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Oh I fully agree with your comment however the information in his post is incorrect.
For example if you have a deposit down that holds your LE number NOT your place in the que
Anyone who pays the full amount goes in front of the deposit holders.
This was explained in an email sent out to future owners.
Refunds are also still outstanding.

Ah, I actually wasn't aware of that. I thought it was both holding your LE number AND your place in the que (based on order date, I had assumed, and not actually tied to your LE number). I don't think it's great that you can jump que by paying the full amount, but that does work well for distributors/dealers who have the coin to drop on it.

As for the refunds issue, I had assumed that had all been sorted out since the vocal minority there seemed to quiet down.

#10900 2 years ago

Is RobT *really* stirring the pot in another thread?

Edit: sorry Rob, I couldn't help myself

#10905 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not defending Stern. Stern is what it is...a marketing/manufacturing company. If their prices/QC/code remain as it's been, I'll never buy another game of theirs. Currently, all pinball companies are guilty of some fuckery...except Spooky, but they haven't made a game I want yet, so F them too (I'm kidding, I wish them the best).

On all that, we agree! I think the important thing is that as soon as one company raises the bar in one department, it's something that other manufacturers will be compared to. Whether those other manufacturers change their ways is a completely different matter, but it's still steps in the right direction to improving the industry on the whole, imo.

Quoted from Toads:

That's how it was originally, but a Andrew changed the rules with that email, obviously needing a cash injection.
First to pay first to play you might say.(where have I heard that before)
As for the refund issue, don't assume everybody posts it on pinside.

True enough. But, having had the production and shipping of the game take longer than anticipated, a cash injection isn't really absurd to me. Lots of industries do that through private investors and such, though. With a boutique company in a niche industry, things are obviously going to be different. Alien(s) is a big theme, but at the end of the day, it's still a boutique company (at this point, anyways, once the games are shipping, things might change substantially).

#10911 2 years ago

Sounds good to me Andrew, and I'm glad you decided to make a better game than ship something that didn't live up to any of the hype. It still won't live up to ALL of the hype, but I know, for me anyways, that you have checked off a lot of awesome stuff that I would have dreamed about having on this pin (xeno grabbing the ball, beacons, strobing, tracker on the screen, etc). Make the game right and ship it when it's ready.

#10947 2 years ago

No, the backboxes aren't foldable. But they remove in about 30 seconds. Much easier for transporting and definitely easier for fitting through tight door frames.
The backbox is sandwiched with cardboard and wrap for shipping.

That's awesome to hear! What is the assembled weight on an Alien?

#10963 2 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

275.578 pounds
Nice !!

I had a feeling it was going to be a bit lighter, that's good to hear!

2 weeks later
#11625 2 years ago

Call me crazy, but I just want my pinball machine to be a pinball machine, not a home theater.

#11692 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

1947 - "Call me crazy, but I want my pinball to have just pins on it, I don't need those fancy flipper thing-a-ma-bobs."
1976 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need my pinball running on solid-state electronics."
1991 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a digital display with cool animations; a simple numerical score is just fine."
2013 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a HD display with incredible graphics in the backbox."
2015 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a HD display in the playfield giving me instant feedback that allows me to keep my eyes on the playfield and not look up at the backbox."
Just messing with you.
Keep in mind though, if these incredible people had never thought "what if..." right now we'd just be bitching about clearcoat issues on a flipperless pinball machine with just nails in wood. (and that assumes pinball would have survived without the innovation continually making it more interesting and relevant.)

Valid point, and I absolutely agree with you!...I just don't think "let me watch tv on my pin" is in the same ballpark as "give me more gameplay or even game-related features". I'm all about new technology, it's half of the reason why I'm supporting Heighway and JJP over Stern as of late (and I would support other companies if I had interest in their themes and gameplay). I followed the WOOLY development partly because of that (and an interesting, original theme). I want to see deeper gameplay, more features, newer features, things that haven't been done before, etc.

I hate to bring up other games in this thread unless it's relevant, but many people complained about the cell phone integration on Dialed In, but like it or not it is just that: integration. That's my problem with "let me watch a movie"...it's not integrating into the game whatsoever.

1 week later
#11977 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The Carpenter collection, an amalgamation of:
They Live
Assault on Precinct 13
The Thing
Halloween
Escape from NY
*EDITED* to include Big Trouble in Little China

What? No "The Fog", "Prince Of Darkness" or "In The Mouth Of Madness"???? If you're doing Carpenter, you better be ready to hit all the great marks!

#12098 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Am I the only person who liked Prometheus? I thought it was a great movie, Resurrection wasn't great but it was entertaining, it had alot of cheese but I like cheese, I'm a like a big mouse.

Same here, if you come to YEGpin we'll have to be sure to stand around the alien singing the praises of Prometheus lol

1 week later
#12460 2 years ago

Andrew, just ship machines, deal with other stuff later.

3 weeks later
#13045 2 years ago

Good enough for me, NOW SHIP THE DAMN THINGS!

#13229 2 years ago

What the hell is everyone even talking about at this point? This thread is ridiculous. I'm pumped on this game and the art and all that jazz and all I want is to get my game, but I understand that takes time being that Heighway isn't Stern.

#13238 2 years ago

I don't give a shit if they use twist ties from bread bags, it's a less than 5 dollar fix and it will take me 5 minutes to do.

#13254 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Agreed. Less than impressive imho

They are RGB, yet they only show one colour in the video and don't really show it tied to a mode. Are they not coded in to do that yet (as we were told they would be), or are they just holding back on showing that? (as per Andrew's earlier comments about leaving some things to surprise for the end-user). That's what I'm curious about.

1 week later
#13603 2 years ago

While playing at YEGpin we also noticed another issue where if player one plays Alien, and player two plays Aliens, every skill shot that player one makes on Alien gives him 50 million (instead of what should be 50k, if I'm correct). It really imbalanced the game, but it was pretty consistent and easy to subtract that. Seems like a strange thing to miss in coding, but it wasn't a huge deal.

#13606 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

What?!?
My wife and I play two player games all the time with any combination of movie selections between us, I've never seen that and can't even imagine how that'd be possible. But I'll do some testing this afternoon and see if I can replicate that with current code.

Not sure, I thought it was definitely something that would have been caught, which is why it struck me as odd. All I know is that we were able to replicate it many times.

It seems as though it is an actual scoring issue and not a display issue, as they were registering as high scores and everything, and they carried right through the game no matter what.

#13607 2 years ago

Also, if need be, after today you can verify that issue with either pingod or libtech as that's who those two machines are going to.

#13665 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks very much for this bug report. Actually had nothing to do with the skill shots themselves (the code for which hadn't changed in ages) but a totally unrelated buffer-corruption bug when switching players. Happened pretty recently. A fix has been checked in.
And thanks for the excuse to play more of those two-player games with my wife, it had been a couple weeks... (Although when we replicated the bug this afternoon, she was player 1 and was the beneficiary of the 68.5M skill shot, and promptly gloated about how badly she was crushing me...

Awesome! Thanks for looking into that and getting it sorted, I'm sure everyone who already has their machine is going to appreciate that one hah.

#13677 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Thanks for sharing this. I couldn't figure out how I was scoring around 20 to 30 million and every other person was around 100 million at the show.

Yeah it was really bizarre, while learning a game you're focused more on gameplay than points, so when you look up and see that it's a bit jarring hah.

3 weeks later
#14646 1 year ago

This thread is hilarious, I'm currently unemployed and even I don't have time for this shit lol.

2 weeks later
#15243 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Or you could do what I did.... plan on getting both. Both games are totally different and will be great additions to my collection.

Ditto. We're very serious collectors.

4 weeks later
#15627 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Not planned, sorry.

How about a 4:26 madness?

1 month later
#16295 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

Can someone give me a summary of what has been going on with Heighway lately? Are they having success shipping games under the new management? Have the new owners said anything about Alien playfield kits for us Full Throttle early-adopter suckers?

They used all our money to set up a really high quality grow up last I heard. Anyone hear any different? I can't wait to get my LE strains.

1 month later
#17277 1 year ago

This thread is stupid. Except for ferret , you're the man. Thanks for the great incite!

#17281 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

im sure Joe may be getting more opportunities. but keep in mind, unless he has had a change of heart, he is not going to address physical design issues with this game.

I don't really care about what you think are issues. I've read through every post in this thread, including all of yours, and your "big reveal" brought up some interesting points, but none that I really care about. I have issues like yours with plenty of games, but like ferret said, it's not as easy as just changing out one thing, it affects other parts of the game. You had all this lead up and foreplay for your post and it basically amounted to "well, if I was designing this pin, I would have designed this part differently". No shit, everyone would have. I would have put biomechanical dicks everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Then you would have posted about how if you designed it, you would have moved some of my biomechanical dicks, and I would care even less about that.

TL;DR: Everyone has their own thoughts on how things should be designed, based on how they like to play and what types of games appeal to them. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, and the game is what the game is, so stop talking about design choices as if they can be changed now. If you want to talk about that, make a new post called "Alien: What If....: One man's opinion on the design choices of Alien pinball by Heighway" and stop filling this thread with more damned fluff.

#17286 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

That's a thing now?

Wonder what publication he writes for?

#17291 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah let's not talk about when people are actually going to GET the game. Let's just talk about opinions about a game barely anyone has played. That sounds right.
How about we just talk about both?

I'm exclusively here to talk about biomechanical dicks and dripping machine-like orifices.

#17480 1 year ago

Great to see a big delivery like that happening, hopefully this is just the start of mass shipping by heighway! Can't wait to see what the final LE trim looks like.

#17557 1 year ago

I'm just wondering if for the LE's they are going to stick with Ramos or upgrade to Stamos? I think at this point it's ridiculous that I even have to ask this. I don't know why those of us in on a LE are still left asking questions!

#17587 1 year ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

This is an upgrade?

Absolutely. Are you kidding me?

1 week later
#18377 1 year ago

This thread is now officially stupid *and* hilarious. It used to just be stupid, but Andrew coming back has been a brilliant finale to a real slog of a second act. I can't wait for the third act where ridiculous hijinks ensue, (hopefully) followed by more machines shipping and all issues being resolved. Maybe if all goes as planned (and we're lucky), we'll even get to see greenhornet and jeffspinballpalace make peace with this thread. I really hope they do, but first I want to see more stupid and hilarious posts.

Edit: If anyone has ever been confused about the term "jumping the shark", this thread just did it.

1 week later
#18531 1 year ago

I'm just thankful for all the SE guys doing all the trouble-shooting, problem-solving and beta-testing so that when my LE arrives I won't have any head scratching. Thanks guys!

I hope all you guys wanting refunds get them, and I hope that means those of us staying in get our machines sooner.

#18563 1 year ago

Jeff, you hurt my soul.

#18654 1 year ago

This thread just keeps getting funner.

1 month later
#19259 1 year ago

I mean, if you're going to go with a blue theme, I would prefer this one:
47836b34cb9adf4388fbcd9e6b741bcb34e2a032.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ohRPiAo.jpg

3 months later
#20563 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Previously the "it's your lucky day, someone who ordered an LE with green trim dropped out! All you have to do is send us the full balance now and maybe you'll get one when we've got enough money to ship them" email - which several people got carbon copies of - suggested that there wouldn't be a shipment until such time as people with deposits sent the full balance along.
I'm naturally pessimistic but it doesn't sound like that ship is sailing anywhere until more victims customers pay the full balance.
Funny thing is, HW could dispel all of the skepticism simply by providing photos of the LEs/non-LEs ready to ship, etc. At this point I'd want to see a copy of todays paper in the photo too. Even regular production updates would help, with photos & videos of the processes, etc. Would cost them nothing, and give customers new and old alike confidence that they're actually doing things behind closed doors. Right now radio silence in between Nigerian-prince-scam looking emails does the opposite.

Well, I was planning on staying out of this thread until I had something concrete to show, but Nitro sent me my confirmation that their order of LE's were ready to ship to them and should be going out soon. Here's the pic I got with my order confirmation, mine is the black one. I hope that ship sails, and shows up safely to Tommy so they can make their way out to us end users, but until they are in Tommy's hands, I'm not holding my breathe too hard.

AlienOrder-NITRO (resized).jpg

#20575 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Have Nitro really only got 7 LEs on order after all this time? Guess maybe a bunch of people dropped out.

Everyone in this hobby is burned out on preorders, but when it's from a trusted company it's reasonable. I preordered my Dialed In LE and a few months later I had it in my hands and haven't had an issue with it since. When I preordered my GOT Prem, it was at my door about 3 weeks later. Heighway is not a trusted company, and until they can deliver boatloads of games to people, within a timely fashion, they won't ever be. Honestly, I was surprised even 7 people were willing to hang on to their orders.

1 week later
#21000 1 year ago

1: Someone with a machine strip that mother down and get a ton of spare parts made, sell them to everyone with a machine.
2: Everyone with a machine who doesn't know how to fix things, sell it to people who do
3: Drive prices up through careful market control
4: ???
5: Every edition becomes a limited collectors edition.

This sucks, and I hope people get machines, but this thread has been nothing but depressing for the past 2 years anyways. It's like putting down a sick dog. Just let this pupper go fellas.

#21077 1 year ago

Well, I talked with my distributor, and my money is safe, and I'm out on my LE. Too many unknowns as far as the future and parts and all that stuff. I'm switching over to something else, not sure what yet.

#21220 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So did any paid-in-full LE buyers (Early Eggs) receive a game? Not talking about people who had deposit down and recently paid off balance to get their game. This should include anyone that paid in full for LE prior to 2018.

Mine was ready to ship, and I had the choice to take it, and I decided to abandon it and switch over to something else.

#21228 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I made the same choice as you, but it now sounds like there was actually no games to ship anyway. It was all BS. Thank god CT called them out and ultimately didn't send them a dime of our cash. I really don't think I could in good mind do business with any derivative of HW at this point.

I know for CT, that probably is true, but my game was made and ready to ship for sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aeonblack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside