pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1999 8 years ago

I haven't been following Heighway that closely until recently, but man, I like everything I'm seeing/hearing. Alien in particular sounds like it could be pretty great. Can't wait for the reveal.

As someone with limited space, I really like the swappable game concept. I've been following the P3 for the same reason (plus it has some other cool features and a ton of potential in general). I think their swaps are actually even faster, depending on how many different modules you have to swap for a given game (just back of playfield, or others like the flipper area too). But that looks pretty slick for a full playfield swap! Even if you go a bit slower, <5 minutes is short enough to swap it on an impulse, or in the middle of a get-together.

I could see potentially buying into both of these systems and having way more games available than I'd otherwise have space for.

#2005 8 years ago

Also on the topic of swapping, this would make sharing games with friends so easy. You could all buy different games and trade occasionally. It would be so easy to move and swap them out.

Too bad none of my friends are into pinball!

#2008 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

It's going to be very interesting to see how swappable games drive sales for Heighway. As we see here, with this model popular themes can drive sales of titles which are less immediately popular because people have more incentives to buy games for the system.

Yeah, it's not quite to the scale of a video game console, but similar concept. There may be a "killer app" that triggers the initial big purchase then it's much easier to bite on smaller incremental purchases afterward (e.g. a game competitive with a Stern premium for less than $4k).

No one buys a new Playstation or Xbox for every game they buy. At least I hope not.

#2116 8 years ago
Quoted from dangerdangerTILT:

Archer is an adult themed cartoon. Maybe there is a connection here...
http://pinballreviews.com/archerblog.htm

Wow, that looks awesome. I was just thinking how more games should do something involving purposefully launching the ball in the air. NGG and the LOTR ring were the two other examples I could think of but that bullseye looks really fun to shoot.

Heighway should look at adapting and building this. I see enough space in the middle of the PF for the LCD...

1 month later
#2409 8 years ago

Wouldn't the video/UI content that was designed for the small screen in the playfield potentially look really bad when blown up on the big screen? I'm guessing the small screen is a smaller resolution...

Also, does this mean Heighway is changing their philosophy regarding how they approach the video content? I remember reading about how they weren't going for a JJP approach with constantly looping video clips, but more of an atmospheric and helpful UI approach for the player.

#2461 8 years ago

Saw the big LCD in one of the Full Throttles at expo and it looked nice and crisp, so no worries there.

If it's just going to mirror the playfield LCD, I don't see the point, though. As a player, the playfield LCD works great. If you want something for onlookers or for attracting attention on location, I think the small back box LCD serves that purpose while being able to keep the translite.

As mentioned, having even more individually addressable screens would create even more work when I'm sure creating the video and UI content is already a big effort. And if the screen is not standard, is it worth it? Doesn't seem realistic.

Plus their whole philosophy has been that the screen is primarily for the player. The fact they have been introducing these backbox screens seems like they are just trying to give options to buyers who like the traditional back box display location for whatever reason. Not that they are going to suddenly switch to a crazy (though potentially cool) system with different screens all over the place doing independent things.

#2518 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think you're going to look up a lot more than you think if you install a second screen up there.

I like the sound of everything you described about the UI but I'm curious why you say this. Honest question: what is the logical reason for looking away from the playfield and playfield screen to look at the same image on the backbox screen? The only answer I can think of is, "because I've played a lot of pinball and that's what I'm used to."

My non-hardcore pinball friends struggle to look up at the DMD while playing; they've said so. It's something that does take some getting used to because if you look at the wrong time or for too long, it can negatively affect your game. The playfield screen location really is better from a player's perspective. Speaking from personal experience playing Full Throttle and the P3, it doesn't take that long to adjust to it, either.

Kudos to Heighway for offering options so I'm not trying to hate. If you think it looks cool in your game room, or will make the game earn better or whatever, that's fine but I don't understand the benefit of the upper screen to the player (assuming mirrored content).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,999 (OBO)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=Roo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.