pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RavenBlackthorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1614 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you dig all the logos and stuff in Alien this is a great read: http://typesetinthefuture.com/alien/

That site is incredible.

1 month later
#1943 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is my understanding, subject to change if I get it wrong:
The LE will come with the LE artwork set, and also the Standard art too. So if you happen to like one more than the other you can swap them. That's backglass and sideart. Both easy to change. The side art is on the same material as the backglass since they both light up.

Wait. You get both sets of artwork with the LE?? That's freaking awesome!

Owning a pin (for me at least) is more than just how it plays. Appreciating the art package is a big part of the overall experience for me. Part of my enjoyment is how it shows when not being played. (This is why I had to call the ball on GoT.) The thought of being able to mix and match the artwork, and swap out the inserts/backglass to change up the look for awhile is freaking cool as hell. That's a killer idea.

#1953 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So are you saying there won't be any movie clips or just not looping all the time?

I'm wondering the same thing. Having live action movie clips playing all of the time would probably be a little distracting if they are on the playfield (these may be better suited for the cabinet LCD for spectators to watch). The playfield LCD would work out great as the display for the motion tracker, the greenscreen readout for updates from Mother, or as the Minimum Safe Distance self-destruct countdown clock. I'm really hoping however that we'll have live action clips from the movies in between game modes or before the start of certain objectives/multiballs though. Even some of the intro sequences when you press the Start button etc. I think those would work out nicely.

#1972 8 years ago

That was way faster than I would have expected. Another set of hands swapping out the artwork while you are disconnecting the playfield and you're probably a little over two minutes.

1 month later
#2432 8 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Wouldn't the video/UI content that was designed for the small screen in the playfield potentially look really bad when blown up on the big screen? I'm guessing the small screen is a smaller resolution...
Also, does this mean Heighway is changing their philosophy regarding how they approach the video content? I remember reading about how they weren't going for a JJP approach with constantly looping video clips, but more of an atmospheric and helpful UI approach for the player.

I think it would look fantastic if they used the screen built into the playfield for the "smaller" video clips like the motion tracker, sentry gun bullet counts, computer screen readouts counting down the self destruct mode etc., and having the bigger full motion video clips on the monitor.

Just imagine Ripley trying to escape with Newt before the installation self destructs, the beacons are flashing, the playfield GI is simulating the fires that are breaking out, mode progression advances the video content on the monitor as they're trying to escape from the Alien Queen. Ripley slaps the elevator call button, and the floor countdown (showing which floor the elevator is on) is displayed on the mini screen in the playfield. Shot hits bring the elevator closer and cause the floor number to change.. Meanwhile on the monitor, Ripley is slapping the button trying to get it to come faster.. Completing the mode advances the video to show the elevator finally arriving, her and Newt getting onto it and advancing to the next mode..

There's several use case scenarios throughout the two movies that could incorporate video content and mode progression on the larger screen and "status" related content on the smaller screen. From an experience and immersion standpoint, this would be an incredible direction to take this game.

#2433 8 years ago

I also wanted to say that I like the art package. I didn't expect to see the inclusion of the Egg from the movie poster but after thinking about it for awhile, Alien was one of those movies (and I was just a kid at the time and didn't see it until much later) but it was one of those movies where the "monster" reveal was hidden from the audience for such a long time. The Egg didn't really have much to do with the movie per se but it contributed to the suspense served as a source of misdirection for the audience. The Alien wasn't revealed until much later in the movie in this case. In hindsight the Egg seems like a bit of a headscratcher (as were a lot of their movie posters if you go back and look) but it is so iconic for the film and with that in mind it makes sense for it to be included in the Alien backglass.

Having said all of that, is the intent to replace the backglass that we are seeing here with the monitor? If so, I think that this gives Heighway an excellent opportunity to distinguish its product offerings from that of others in the market. I think it would be great if you were able to include an attract mode that has subtle animations on the backglass. I was envisioning an egg pod opening slowly here and there, or a facehugger scampering up the side of the cabinet, fog sort of shimmering around the egg pods, stars twinkling, steam rising up around the big Egg etc. If that was possible and allowable with the license, I think that it would breath some life into the artwork that we don't see currently.

2 months later
#3730 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh, welp, I guess the tease method is out of the bag now! Gimme a minute, I'll put up a full image so you don't have to rely on that flyer.

I was actually digging the detail reveals and you explaining your thought process regarding each section of the playfield art. I'm sure a lot of folks would still appreciate you stepping us through the artwork even though the flyer got leaked. We've waited a long time for this--don't let 'em steal your thunder Aurich!

#3731 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the full playfield. I was going to talk about some more details first, but since the flyer is out that seems silly. I can still do that more later if people want.
full-playfield_(resized).jpg

Please do! I'd much rather see that then a hastily posted flyer.

#3736 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

kind of a dick move to post the flyer...I mean if it was weeks ago and kind of a sneak attack like the gb leak, it would have been kind of cool....But right in the moments before the artist having his little moment to put it up in a fun way he had planned out for everyone is pretty shitty!

I agree man. Felt a bit like a Kanye West mic grab.

#3755 8 years ago

First off--I'm really digging it after pouring over it for some time. Sorry that you didn't get the proper reveal that you were preparing for. A couple of thoughts: I really like the subtlety of the artwork. I like how you can zoom in and pour over the detail and suddenly realize "Holy crap, there's a xenomorph hiding behind that flipper" that you didn't notice before. Depth of artwork is really important for me. If I can take thirty seconds and give a table a once over and think "That's it?", I tend to lose interest. Another thing that stands out to me is the "vast expanse of space" that you seem to be going for here. The scale of the ships in relation to the playfield give you the sense that you're trying to capture a grander scale. I also really like the attention to detail regarding the subtle things that probably only the fans of the films will pick up on. The things like the graffiti, the flight suit patches, the attention to detail with choosing the correct fonts to be used for the inserts. Things like that will really set the attention to detail apart for fans that pay attention to these types of things. You went deeper than what I think a lot of people were expecting (i.e. marines, ships, guns, aliens, eggs, done). You peeled back the superficial layers and captured the spirit of the films, the finer detail that I think the fans deserve. Nicely done.

3 weeks later
#4612 8 years ago

http://pulse.therpf.com/new-aliens-vehicles-from-the-cinemachines-line-by-neca

For those that might be looking to mod or add toys to their pin. These might have some potential:

Aliens_Vehicles_(resized).pngAliens_Vehicles_(resized).png

7 months later
#7312 7 years ago

It'll be well worth the wait, but Jesus, Fox--I'm starting to feel like the Grail Knight over here..

indiana-jones-the-last-crusade-knight (resized).jpgindiana-jones-the-last-crusade-knight (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RavenBlackthorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=RavenBlackthorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.