pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Maurice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25631 4 years ago

Joined the Alien club yesterday and became the proud owner of an Alien LE in green. Have been busy fine-tuning for two evenings and all goes well sofar.
One problem I cannot solve: the right beacon is on but doesn’t turn. The left works fine. The first day both beacons worked as they should as far as I can remember, but now not.
Checked the wires but all seems connected. Haven’t checked the power on the wires yet. Any advice how to continue my check is kindly appreciated.
Seems like if I want to remove a beacon dome I have to take out the monitor, since that blocks the screws that attaches the beacon to the top of the backbox.

#25639 4 years ago

did you get it used or NIB Alien LE?
Just curious

It’s a NIB LE green. Very lucky to get this one of the last ones.

#25654 4 years ago

Got very regularly the error “1 IO board missing”. Usually during the first or 2nd game already. Replaced all 4 USB cables for shielded with ferriet and gold contacts. Message and errors in gameplay came back just after 6 games played.
When the IO board Goes missing the airlock scoop coil doesn’t fire. Also other switches and popbumper coils are dead.
I switch the game off and back on: everything ok. But the problem always returns.
Any advice what to do/check next?
Do I have a bad IO board? And if so: which one?

2nd problem (haven’t read any Solution here yet); right beacon is on, but doesn’t spin. Left is ok. What can I do about This?

#25670 4 years ago

Re-adjusted the USB on the back of the pf. All ok for now. Took off the flasher dome and reassembeld the gears. It rotates again.

Happy Alien owner!!!!

#25675 4 years ago

Did mister Huber also replace the USB holder/connector on the IO-board with a type that connects better then the original one?
I consider this upgrade/repair too since especially the connector on IO-board 1 is due to fail. On my Alien this connector seems to have to much “space” between the cable head and the connector.

Averell: Can you send me more info on mr. Huber?

#25689 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

malfunction

What is a good way to “destress” the USB connector/cable connection on Io-board 1? The cable points towards the back of the cabinet and seems to move easily which causes my IO-board 1 to be “missing”. All coils and lamps are out of order. This connector is indeed a incredibly fragile (and from a pinball persoective) and stupid design. It just doesn’t fit tight.
I want to replace the connector at IO-board 1 for a better one that fits more tight. Do these more tight or better locking connectors exist?

1 week later
#25759 4 years ago

On my LE I have a persistent problem that keeps coming back: IO-board 1 missing.
I replaced all 4 usb cables that lead to the IO boards. I also bought a new IO-board to replace IO-board 1.
Still the exact same problem remains. I switch the machine off and back on after 20 sec: game works 100%. But never for long. Can take 1 game or 20, but the problem does always come back.
The usb cable seems to “wiggle” a lot in the holder/connector on the IO-board. Should I replace this holder to finally get rid of this problem?

Second: my magnet fell of the rod. Any advice on how to re attach this in a reliable way.

My game is being ‘tested’ at the DPO 2019 as we speak.

#25770 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

I have changed all the USB cables to premium cables and rerouted the cables with extra holders away from the other cabel stuff.
Yes the USB connectors on the IO Boards are fragile. I have fixed the cables with zip ties to minimize motion at the IO connector.
The magnet ist glued at the rod. I used an extra powerful glue to fix that.
I have met you and talked about the IO Boards yesterday on the DPO at your Alien.
Nice to met you and a very nice machine
You have still the thin milchy factory foil on the PF Monitor.
Is your Alien LE new?

My Alien LE is new and came from Sweden. All 4 IO boards are sent for a reliability upgrade to Flipperwerk, Markus, in Germany.

#25775 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

The "tongue" is prepared in front with a 3 mm threat for an experiment with another kind of magnet (8 mm).
First I will measure which force is needed to rip off the ball from the original magnet.
Then I have to screw the new magnet on the tongue and check how much force is needed for this one.
The idea is, to have a quick option to replace a broken magnet and to have a more stable game play.

good idea. Very interested in the outcome.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

#25781 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Here's my solution against loose magnet at the tongue.
Two 8 mm Neodym magnets screwed with a stainless steel screw to the gear. They need nearly the same force of ~7 Newton until they release the ball.
I'm sure this will work properly.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Great solution. PM sent.

1 week later
#25800 4 years ago

Do you still have 1 for sale? Destination the Netherlands.

#25821 4 years ago

Questions:
1: 3 out of 4 of my slingshot leds are out. The design is terrible. Any Solution for these leds? I believe to just replace with a NOS led/switch assembly won’t last.

2: I want to remove the top of the Xeno head. Where to start? I also want to remove the metal rod to drill a m3 screw hole in it and attach the magnets just like Averell did.

Tip: if you want to make your chestburster shot easier to shoot/not rattle just in front of the chestburster target bend the metal to the right of the chestburster lane to the right. To do so remove the lane guide and bend all 4 tabs 15 degrees. Re-assemble and tadaa!!!
Big difference a few mm make.

1 week later
#25828 4 years ago

Still need help to improve the reliability of my Alien. IO-board 1 regularly is “missing”. Switch The game off and on and works 100%.
Replaced all USB cables for Oehlbach high quality ones: no difference.
These cables still “wiggle” in the connector sockets. I believe that is the problem but that is just a guess. The connection is not “tight” or firm. Are the cables still not the right ones or are all small usb connectors so poorly connected to the cable.
Added tape on the usb connector and cable end to stabilize the connection: no result. Still regularly get the error: IO-board 1 missing.
What else can I do? Hot glue the connector and cable with a small drop of glue to eliminate any interference?

1 week later
#25864 4 years ago

Update on the “IO-board 1 missing” error:

I used 3 different USB cables: no effect. All 3 different brands and 2 out of 3 were high quality shielded, ferrite core etc. But no effect.

I stabilised the end of the cable and the connector on the IO-board with a cable and a plastic spacer like the ones you use to route cables under the playfield, but once again no effect.

Changed all IO-boards in different locations and even bought a fifth and tried that one also: no effect.

If any Alien owner has a flawlessly stable running Alien please let me know how to do This. I just played 4 games and 3/4 the error occured which meant end of game.

I would like to play This game one evening without errors and maybe try to get to “All out war” but in This condition that might never happen.

#25869 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballoo:

Hi there,
yesterday the airlock-display started flickering and then completely went off.
Now the game won´t start and the message "IO board 1 missing" appears.
I´ve changed the IO board but with no effect.....(guessed No.1 is the one located in the top of the playfield?? )
Any ideas?

Change the USB cables and reroute them. Might make a difference.

2 weeks later
#25907 4 years ago

Found my error log in the audits. Remember I had regular “IO-board 1” failures for 3 months. Since I removed the usb cable from lying around the silver amplifier in the cabinet two weeks ago I have no more “IO-board 1” failures. Have played at least 50 games without errors. Could the solution really be this simple?

1CD2E873-1818-4C54-BA46-4BCD18976A11 (resized).jpeg1CD2E873-1818-4C54-BA46-4BCD18976A11 (resized).jpeg824F1585-39EE-4F8E-AD94-145DBAC3FE9F (resized).jpeg824F1585-39EE-4F8E-AD94-145DBAC3FE9F (resized).jpegADEBB351-FEF3-4C19-9D91-5158B36D6C60 (resized).jpegADEBB351-FEF3-4C19-9D91-5158B36D6C60 (resized).jpegCD2609B7-7BDA-4007-95C5-AD30A2C2D8AD (resized).jpegCD2609B7-7BDA-4007-95C5-AD30A2C2D8AD (resized).jpegF34464EC-53C5-4D42-A0F4-8A0DF438A9A0 (resized).jpegF34464EC-53C5-4D42-A0F4-8A0DF438A9A0 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#25987 4 years ago
Quoted from AdreXis:

Hello, could someone tell me how long are the usb cables that have to be changed please?
I experience some i/o disconnections when the ball is in the bumpers. Don't really know if it's really the electromagnetic perturbations or some physical perturbations caused by the bumpers movments ..
thx for the help

Move the usb cables away from the speaker and the amplifier in the cabinet. That solved my “IO-board missing” problems that occured regularly during gameplay. Better quality cables didn’t seem to help.

#26023 4 years ago

Recently the playfield monitor turns red. It happened several times. I switch the machine off and on and problem gone. What can cause this and how can I prevent it from happening?

308D5272-F726-4C2B-AE3B-B1ABDAA31ECB (resized).jpeg308D5272-F726-4C2B-AE3B-B1ABDAA31ECB (resized).jpeg
#26060 4 years ago

Red playfield display: I reseated the 2 cables/connectors that lead to the monitor. I recently removed the cable that was attached to the lower part of the 3- drop target bank. I added two screws and self locking nuts to the target bank bottom and tested and adjusted the hight of the screws. The coil that resets the targets fired many times and this might have caused my red display. For now the display works as it should.

2 weeks later
#26157 4 years ago

Problem: the upper inner loop almost never registers. A clear and fast hit never registers. How can this be improved? It seems the switches cannot cope with the speed of the ball. This loop has two switches. In test they both work.
Cannot reduce the upper right flipper power since you need power to make the left upper ramp shot.

#26158 4 years ago

About the plastic: why is it so much bigger than the original? Can it be Made smaller so it doesn’t stick out so much?

1 month later
#26454 4 years ago

I bought my Alien LE green from Royneblom and was happy with my purchase.

#26485 4 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Next issue, my middle pop bumper doesn't seem to work 9 times out of 10. The switch is gapped very close, and seems fine. Anyone else have an issue like this

I had the same issue and it’s a Software problem. Solution: update to 1.3. Read the 1.2-1.3 update log. You’ll notice that also the slingshot coils will activate much better.

3 months later
#26956 3 years ago

Request for the next update: remove the repeating sound while ball save is active. It is especially annoying during the wizard modes. Just let the two “shoot” and “again” inserts flash while ball save is active. That provides all the info needed.

#26964 3 years ago

I pulled the 6V regular light bulbs from the extra ball, start and launch button at the cabinet front. They become too hot. I tried 6V and 12V leds but these all melted immediately or were toasted directly. Any suggestions? Should I use regular 12v small light bulbs?

1 week later
#27049 3 years ago

Haven’t seem any response to my previous questions, so I repeat it. Anyone?

Quoted from Maurice:

I pulled the 6V regular light bulbs from the extra ball, start and launch button at the cabinet front. They become too hot. I tried 6V and 12V leds but these all melted immediately or were toasted directly. Any suggestions? Should I use regular 12v small light bulbs?

2 weeks later
#27257 3 years ago

Requests for the code update:
Reward more points for the ambush SJ.
The SJ inner loop shot should register if the ball triggers the lower OR the upper inductive switch.
Call out for SJ on inner loop should prevail over “mother ready at vent one” or other callouts that block the SJ callout.
Remove the looping sound during ball save. This is extremely annoying during the modes Self destruct and Loader battle. Just let the “scream” and “again” inserts light up.
Adjust the timing of the slingshot coils. This is not yet like a stern or B/W. 1.3 is better than 1.2, but still. The ball needs to get more speed. The bump is too slow.
Add lane change if possible for the bonus x.

1 week later
#27385 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I'm getting a ball jam in scoop most of the time during any mulitball when multiple balls enter it. Any tweak/fix recommendation for this?

2 suggestions.
1: I/O board 1 stops working. Result no more kick-out from the airlock and the top 1/3 of the playfield won’t work either.
Fix: reroute usb cables away from amplifier in cabinet.
2: the scoop does not have the plastic ball-guide inside or it is positioned poorly. Fix: adjust this black piece of plastic or get it. I believe some early model Alien didn’t have this plastic in the scoop.
3: check the metal protector around the scoop. If the edges are off they might block the ball in the way out.
Fix: remove and bend in the proper position. Even better: order the Cliffy protector set.

1 week later
#27502 3 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Hi again everyone. I’m still dealing with the usb cables!
Can I use a 5 PIN usb A to mini B ?
They appear to very insulated.
Thank you so much in advance.

Replace the stock cables with any good quality cables. More important: move cables away from amplifier on bottom cabinet.
Also support the cables near the port of the IO-boards. Especially IO-board 1. The one at the rear end of the playfield.

1 month later
#27659 3 years ago

Looking for a new EL inverter. Model nr. HY AC5000-BKL. It’s located in the rear of the cabinet. Can find it via several oriental sites, but cannot order just one: minimum is 10 or company doesn’t ship to my country. Any idea where I can buy this inverter?

B8268D66-4AE1-4C3C-9FCA-9D82B3632465 (resized).jpegB8268D66-4AE1-4C3C-9FCA-9D82B3632465 (resized).jpeg
#27671 3 years ago

The original glass is pretty think and therefore heavy as hell combined with the frame. I replaced the glass with the “Roman” glass from Germany. Two big plusses: big visual improvement and the weight is reduced a lot.
Removing the original glass is fairly easy. Just remove about 20 screws. When you reassemble use proper sticky foam and protect the glass from the metal screws.

2 weeks later
#27748 3 years ago

I would say, stock speakers are ok!!! I play mine om level 3 and the roof almost comes down already.

3 weeks later
#27964 3 years ago

Since there unfortunately are no new slingshot double ledded lamp + switch boards from Timebandit, who made them in the past I post this question: can some body else make these?
Or are the specs available for others so anyone else can reproduce them.

#28013 3 years ago

The odds of scoring a upper left flipper shot into vent 2 is 1:50.
From the lower left flipper via the post or underside of right upper flipper 1:100.
Summary: the shot is near impossible from any angle. A direct hit shot from the upper left flipper bounces out via the metal lane guide.
To finish tunnel hunt requires luck or a multiball. And even in MB you still need lots of luck.

#28015 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Might be worth a rail tweak to see if it cant be made from the upper left as well....

Rail cannot be tweaked. Shot is just near impossible to make. Backhand from lower right flipper as you describe is worth a try. I’ll report back on that.

#28017 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Here is the summary diagram, not perfect guide but I think fairly accurate. Red is the old geometry, green is the new. Just look at it like billiards, angles of deflection. You can see ricochets now end up heading inward instead of outward

Sometimes people need to be challenged. Great effort and fantastic result. I will do this too in my Alien LE.

#28020 3 years ago

Can you still properly hit the weapon target?

#28046 3 years ago

Where can I buy these better Ss leds?

1 month later
#28321 3 years ago

How can I prevent the playfield LCD to look like this? On startup it’s always ok, but unfortunately it regularly shows red or green lines. Sometimes during gameplay the screen goes back to normal. I took out the entire screen and reseated all connectors EXCEPT the flat brittle and fragile looking connector. No difference.

A9885B1D-C4A5-4C78-9786-F2B6FD10E0A0 (resized).jpegA9885B1D-C4A5-4C78-9786-F2B6FD10E0A0 (resized).jpeg
#28331 3 years ago

I dismounted the playfield display also but did not notice any damage. Will look again for any damaged or cut cables.
If I replace the monitor DVI-cable from the playfield monitor: a link to a good quality cable is highly appreciated.

1 week later
#28392 3 years ago

“Look man, I only want to know one thing: where they are...”
Replace they by (these incredibile software updates!!!!!)

#28396 3 years ago

Request: please remove the “ball save” music loop. This annoying and useless sound drives me crazy as long as the ball save timer is active.
The “scream again” audio and visuals are too long and dominant. Something short and simple I would suggest.
Add many Ripley quotes during Self Destruct and Loader Battle if possible.
Add Ripley in Derelict Ship.

2 weeks later
#28426 3 years ago

Played a 45 minute game. Twice I had a scene bonus of 1,2 billion. Got to all out war twice. 30 Weapons collected what helped alot to revive a ball with the flame thrower or smart gun.
I believe the 12x scene bonus what scored the 1.2 billion twice is a scoring bug. I hope this exceptional scoring can be reduced in an update. Also because I have no idea how I got the scene bonus and the multiplier. Some end of ball bonus do have a scene bonus and others don’t.

586074D5-047F-4B98-9F48-F96BEDAA1651 (resized).jpeg586074D5-047F-4B98-9F48-F96BEDAA1651 (resized).jpeg
#28427 3 years ago

3 balls per game... some extra balls scored.

2 months later
#28535 2 years ago

I’m game over man, sold my Alien LE. Good news for pinheads in the USA: it’s on it’s way to a new owner overseas.
I’m on to a new project....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Maurice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=Maurice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.