pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#792 9 years ago

I don't know, the playfield looks a little bare, the art needs some work and the sling shots seem weak.

This is Pinside, someone had to say it.

#796 9 years ago

Interesting and different layout. Really looking forward to seeing how it all comes together and playing it when it comes out.

6 months later
#1809 8 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Though I applaud Heighway for their business, their first game and their plans with the kits and Alien coming up, I disagree: both Full Throttle and Alien were announced for 'release' at an unrealistic date (beginning of 2013 HFT and April 2015 Alien).

One concern I have when I see any manufacturer that is so far off in their release estimates is the unexpected hit on their resources.

If they really expected to release FTH at the beginning of 2013, then it must be tough to absorb the extra 2 years of salaries and other expenses needed to keep the business running.

When they announced Alien would be released in April 2015 at the October 2014 Expo (only 7 months) I just shook my head in bewilderment as they hadn't even shipped FTH yet. It wasn't their first game so shouldn't they know better?

Still, they are getting FTH out and that is a huge accomplishment as the other boutique failures have shown us.

As long as a company is not out to scam us, I trust that they are working hard to produce the game they promised. Communication may help us feel better about our pre-order, but in the end, the proof is in the final product.

#1857 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Eh. This is Stern's moment, no real reason to try and cut in on it.

Are you saying you don't want to draw the zombie hoard away from its current distraction?

#1871 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right now Heighway is simply offering more for your money than Stern. They don't have a cheaper Pro option, it's true. If that's your price point go Stern. But look at the GOT Pro. It's pretty sad without that upper playfield, it's like a whole different game. How is the code going to work across these two models? The Pro doesn't feel like the one to pick here.

All great points Aurich and sounds so similar to the old Stern vs Woz comparisons. However, the "Bill of Materials" argument fails for a large contingent of buyers who place theme, flow and fun above content. I think it's easier to make simple games like Iron Man have that fast, in your face action that many people enjoy, which fits well with Stern's lower BOM, popular themed machines.

Let me add that I think it takes great passion on the part of the designers to make a pinball machine that excels in every category (rules, art, sound and gameplay). As such, I'm really looking forward to you guys knocking Alien out of the park!

#1883 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think the difference is that WOZ was truly trying to do something new. And I think they did. Thing is, it was a "different" kind of game, and not everyone really likes it.
Alien has 4 flippers, but they all have real shots. We have magnets, and drop targets, and a spinner, and custom molded pops, and LCDs, and RGB lights and all that good stuff WOZ has, even a widebody. But we're not trying to play like a modern EM. We have real ramps. We have flow. Ask anyone who's played Full Throttle if it's a slow game because it's a wide body.

I think once you get away from the typical fan layout you're going to have a "different" kind of game by today's standards. I prefer a game that's loaded with stuff so I'm excited by your description of Alien.

The Ritchie type flow fest is very popular today and I like the smooth feel of hitting shots on the fly and the sheer joy of comboing ramps that type of game provides. I also enjoy the more cerebral Lawlor stop and go style in games like TZ that seems to have fallen out of favor.

To me WOZ is more on the Lawlor side but I wouldn't classify it as a "modern EM" (and I own and enjoy EM's). An EM evokes images of slow floaty gameplay, underpowered flippers, overly random and simple rules. WOZ is not like this.

I guess my point is Alien's layout is different enough that people will need to see it in action.

From what I've seen so far:

Theme - Nailed
Art - Very hopeful with you working on it (I have your Shadow kit)
Playfield layout - very interesting
Sound - ?
Rules - ?

#1918 8 years ago

The more I look at the playfield, the more I like it. Aurich, is the right shot below the upper flipper labeled "N" an orbit that goes all the way around to the left orbit labeled "C"?

1 month later
#2412 8 years ago

I was a little underwhelmed when I saw the first images from the presentation, but the detail in the border on the later images really adds to the overall look. Well done! All it needs is a little bevel and emboss on the logo and it will be perfect.

2 months later
#3667 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just think it will end up costing you more if you spread it out. Shipping if nothing else. And if you have to swap ramps to get the fiber optic version? Or if it requires parts and tools, or whatever, it's gonna be way easier to get it from the factory installed. One way or another you're gonna have to install things you order later.
That's my thought process at least.

Makes sense to me. I would expect there to be enough separation between the LE and the Standard (other than art), otherwise people could just switch over and buy the pieces individually.

#3824 8 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this populated. It's a different look for playfield art. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but without the usual bold black outlines (keylines?) the playfield has a somewhat muted look to me. Will be interesting to see how the LCD ties things together.

Really like all the inserts to track progress instead of leaving it up to the LCD. Also like the detailed insert graphics.

As others have mentioned, the flame trail style and having it extend through the planet seems out of place. The top of the playfield (above the green alien) looks empty, most notably around the pop bumpers. Is this visible when the playfield is populated?

I don't have a problem with the various objects floating above the space/planet background.

All in all, a good effort.

#3940 8 years ago

One thing that sticks out in the playfield art/layout mock-up is the empty black about mid LCD down to the scanner. Sure seems like that area could be used for something interesting even if not too close to the screen.

#3953 8 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I am sure Aurich will give much of the criticism some of the merit it may deserve but I wish people would not attack (the art or the artist) because it does not suit their own personal vision.

I think it's possible to judge the artwork as it sits (according to personal preferences) without having any preconceived expectations.

#3955 8 years ago

Does anyone know what the image at the top of the playfield is and how it fits in with the blood splatter around the pop bumper holes?

#4129 8 years ago

I also like the inclusion of fan elements like the patches but think they don't fit with the playfield art and would be better placed elsewhere, like on the plastics or apron.

To those who say it's a done deal, Aurich has repeatedly said he has to make changes so why not give him suggestions? It's easy to get lost in the details of a project. I think it's helpful to get inputs from people who are not uber fans and who are not so close to the project.

If I remember correctly, he also said FOX approved the playfield on the first pass, so it doesn't sound like there has been a lot of back-and-forth to deal with at this point.

I have a hard time understanding the desire some have to cut corners just to get something quickly. For a great theme like Alien and at a price of $6k to $8k, why not make another pass if it greatly improves the look of the game? What's a little delay versus looking at elements on the playfield that are a bit of an eyesore IMO for the next 20 years?

I expect there are other aspects of the game that will require more time anyway if the tweaks to the artwork require going through the approval process one more time. Is it likely FOX will have a problem if all Aurich does is remove the cartoony elements and patches as voodle demonstrated?

#4136 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

...all before March when there was a tentative possibility of a complete prototype.

I would expect them to make layout and art changes after their first prototype.

#4142 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

All these suggestions of removing accompanying insert graphics are foolish IMO.

This is what I love about opinions. Aurich can take them all in, incorporate the ones he likes (if any) and disregard the rest. I don't see a down side to this process and it could lead to a better machine.

#4143 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

yet also, "this is final for the most part."

I take this to mean he is not going to go into an entirely new direction but can make changes.

#4185 8 years ago

Aurich, I listened to Nates podcast and better understand your vision. If you lighten the black area around the LCD, will the underlying rocks show up? I would not have noticed the view looking out onto the horizon if you hadn't told me.

#4243 8 years ago

I think having the LCD in the middle of the playfield makes the artwork focus different than on other machines. Since the LCD can show characters and clips, maybe having the playfield artwork act as a more generic backdrop is more appropriate.

#4288 8 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Secondly, we will officially announce what the situation is regarding actors/callouts/music etc... closer to the release. The reason for this is that it is an ongoing process with our licensor and therefore it is not something that we can comment on at this point.

If this stuff isn't locked down yet, I'm adjusting my expectations to the LCD and sound implementation not being built around movie clips like the Hobbit, as I think that would need to be known early in the design process before you could move forward with storylines, scripting, etc.. As someone else mentioned, the result may be a more generic space game set in the Alien(s) universe (similar to TWD).

If that is the case, they may lose some of the most ardent fans of the movie but the game could still be excellent. With Aurich and Andrew being such huge Alien(s) fans, I expect they'll do the best they can with what they have.

Aurich or Andrew, please correct me if my speculations are way off base here.

Edit:

Quoted from Aurich:

We're not making a generic game.
And of course we have movie clips. Right now the issue is simply that rights are in negotiations, and so until that's over we can't show anything, promise anything etc that has actor likenesses. They own their own rights here, not Fox. We're working on it.

Thanks for the clarification.

#4310 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the deal in a nutshell: the actors own their own likenesses. It's not in their movie contract. We can license the film, but we don't get them with it automatically. We have to ask them separately. That process is ongoing.

Aurich, one basic thing I don't understand. If you have license to a film but not the likenesses of it's actors, does that mean you can't use footage from the film that contains said actor without the actor's permission?

#4350 8 years ago

Aurich, since we're getting a glimpse into "how the sausage is made", can you share some of the ways you've been able to proceed with the design without knowing all the assets you will get?

#4450 8 years ago

What Aurich says:

"The honest answer is the actors are a separate negotiation, that's just the way the license game works. You're getting the behind the scenes story, which is that we're still in negotiations."

What some of us hear:

Negotiations = nothing finalized = possibility of no actors in the game. Commence sky falling.

#4487 8 years ago

I would expect the more powerful weapons to kill the aliens faster, even more so if they were the right weapon for the right mode. If so there would be incentive to collect the correct weapon before or during a specific mode.

I always liked the arcade games that had "power ups" to collect.

3 weeks later
#4668 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"this mission costs a trillion dollars" and later the pilots are betting "credits" as to whether or not they'll find anything.

Quoted from benheck:

What about the biologist who is scared of a dead alien, then tries to touch a living one after getting lost with the guy in charge of making maps?

Quoted from benheck:

BUT how did the creature grow that big so fast inside a 90 lb woman? And then grow even bigger locked in a chamber with nothing to eat?

You're not supposed to ask these probing questions. Just watch the pretty (or not so pretty) pictures and enjoy the show.

#4780 8 years ago

I think the violet up top looks much better than what was there before. I also like that it looks like the blood splatters were removed from around the pop bumpers.

Still don't care for the band of black extending across the playfield above the scanner. All in all, a very dark playfield thus far but perhaps it will provide good contrast to the inserts, the LCD and the rest of the stuff on top.

Looking forward to seeing the final version populated.

#4799 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I think it's pointless to be critical when all you have to offer is that you want something different.

Aurich, I think you said previously that the view looking at the planets was intended to be a horizon shot looking through the surrounding rocks.

If the photos convey the way the playfield actually looks, there doesn't appear to be enough definition in the surrounding rocks to see this intent. Perhaps enhancing the lighting transition from the black above the scanner to the edge of the rocks below the horizon, to make the rocks show up more, would better serve your purpose.

#4805 8 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

I know the playfield is all we have to go on at the moment but have some patience...

What fun is that?

#4830 8 years ago

Hmmm....I wonder if they got the proper licensing?

1 week later
#4938 8 years ago

I know this is the Alien thread but thought the chromed out FT looks so nice, just imagine something similar on Alien.

I didn't like the look of the old bezel but think the chromed one actually adds cosmetic value.

FT_LE_(resized).jpegFT_LE_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#5067 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

$1500 Tied up on thin air, that's my thought. Why tie up any money based on pre-order history? Just buy it when it's available or at the very least place $1500 down once an actual complete game is shown?

It's a purely psychological thing but I like being invested in these long running projects. It makes all the reveals more exciting to me and I don't have a problem if the games take longer than the company anticipates (I expect it).

Since I can get a refund if I don't like the way the game is progressing or ends up, I don't see much risk unless the company goes belly up.

If you want an LE like GB with Stern's model, there's such a frenzy that you have to commit to purchase solely based on the way the game looks. I can't help but remember a similar frenzy with Hulk LE and Wolverine LE. But then there's BIBLE and TRONLE. It's a roll of the dice.

At least with Alien we will have time to take more of the game in before sending final payment.

#5069 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I still would NEVER do it because I need to play a pin before buying, but for the preorder crowd, thats at least a reasonable number.

I don't necessarily need to play it but I need to at least see gameplay videos, hear what it sounds like and have an idea of the rules (unless it's a programmer I consistently like). These days, it can take years for code to make a mediocre game good, so if my initial impressions are marginal, I can always get a refund and wait to see if the game develops enough to purchase.

#5110 8 years ago

I'm thinking might as well pre-order the LE. If you don't think they differentiate it enough to make it worthwhile, you can always downgrade to whatever model looks to be the better value and pocket the difference.

2 months later
#5954 7 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Perused the entirety of the last few pages looking for the exciting Alien news...

And now you've just contributed to duping the next guy........and so have I.

#5972 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But old EMs don't have the technology, and that's where they fall behind.

Time for someone to take one of these new fangled pinball control systems and make an El Dorado 2.0.

Edit: Just biding time until the next Alien information. (to sort of bring it back on topic )

#5979 7 years ago

This topic is going to be on fire pretty soon.

giphy_(1).gifgiphy_(1).gif

2 weeks later
#6404 7 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

The above is what I'm thinking. If you had a way to pick a profile or input your initials before you start playing, that would make it possible for the achievements/goals/challenges to be tracked per-user.

I agree that an achievements system could add fun to a game. You might not even need to track per-user.

Just list all the achievements gained at the end of the game. I see people taking cell phone pictures all the time of their final score. They could likewise keep track of their achievements.

Or, similar to JJP, a QR code could also be provided to track your results.

#6413 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd much rather see say Life Cycle Combo Champ, and you gotta beat the current champ's number of combos to get your name up, than getting an award for just making the Life Cycle Combo.

The difference between a leaderboard and an achievement list is that you don't have to be one of the "best" to get an achievement.

One problem I see with newer players is they have no idea what to do and often get disheartened when they see their score compared to the scores on the leaderboard.

Maybe achievement awards would help them feel more successful and alert them that there are things to try for in a game. They might not know how they got the achievement the first time but knowing it exists may make them actually try for it the next time. I think having specific goals are essential to long term pinball fun.

Quoted from Aurich:

Making people log in, or enter their initials or whatever before the game even starts is unappealing as a pinball concept to me.

Agreed. Would it be very difficult from a programming standpoint to keep track of specific goals achieved then perhaps display a cool icon and description of each achievement at the end of the game? More complicated would be to display the awards as they were gained with maybe a voice telling the player what they got.

#6427 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So there are already going to be things like that, where you're doing little mini things out of modes, that will reward you chasing them.

Sounds good.

Something like the "After Action Report" above could also be tied into giving the player a rank at the end of the game. For example, you could work your way up the ladder of characters in the order in which they were killed base on the number of achievements you got.

It looks like there is going to be a lot in the game so I'm sure it's not needed but since we're just throwing around ideas, I think it could be fun to have another way to approach the game other than score and story based game progression.

I used to play "fruit ninja" and there were all kinds of fun side objectives (like hit only apples, or avoid all pears etc...) that were fun to attempt when you felt like a break from going for the high score.

#6460 7 years ago

One thing in David's presentation that raised a flag for me was his comment about how they're still working on getting sound and video assets from Fox.

Seems like it would be difficult to plan a cohesive audio and visual package when you don't know what you're going to have to work with.

Any comment on how you guys are dealing with this Aurich?

Thanks.

2 months later
#7079 7 years ago

The race is on to get the first 2 pre-production games built by a week today.

The ball guides should be ready by Mon/Tue.
The wireform ramps should be ready by mid-week
The new Xeno mech model and jumping facehuggers are due to arrive by mid week.
The left ramp (metal), reverso and shooter bracket are due Tue/Wed. The middle ramp is tight, but is being pushed for Friday.

Looking forward to seeing the game Andrew and like your optimism but somehow I don't think all of those things are going to come together by next week. Best of Luck though.

#7086 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Good to see you have the inside scoop. This shit is why JJP, Stern, and others dont post on Pinside anymore

Because I said I thought it was doubtful all those things would come together in a single week?

I fully support Andrew and am in on an LE. I guess it's just my way of lowering expectations so there is less grumbling when timelines are missed.

3 weeks later
#7377 7 years ago

I think a black nickel option would look great on an Aliens LE and be more compatible with Full Throttle and future games.

Black-Nickel-Rings.jpgBlack-Nickel-Rings.jpg

#7401 7 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I don't know the exact specifications on the difference, I believe Aurich does, hopefully he'll see this & chime in.

I am a little concerned that the lighting on FullT is daisy chained like WOZ so if an LED or board fails, everything downstream goes dark. For those with FullT, how robust has the lighting been? Can a bad LED or board be jumped to keep the game mostly operational?

#7411 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Huh, I didn't realize they changed the GI in Hobbit and agree the effects in WOZ are fantastic. I'm guessing this was to address the complaints about the dark playfield but think they could have found a better fix. Can't wait to see some Alien lighting action!!

They changed the whole lighting system in the Hobbit to get away from daisy chaining the lights (like on a Christmas tree). Maybe it was just too much wiring to connect all the GI in parallel too.

Also, light failures on WOZ were usually due to driver IC and connector failures rather than LEDs going bad.

#7434 7 years ago

I will never pay those ridiculous prices for a machine......oh wait, their making Blade Runner? That's different.

Given the large pinball population there always seems to be enough fans (with deep pockets) of any good theme to sell out of LE's, super LE's, etc... Doesn't seem to matter much what's in the game or the price.

1 week later
#7574 7 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

The last post by Heighway indicated, "As soon as we receive approval from FOX, we begin production immediately. Parts orders will be waiting for that green light. The plan is to begin production in September and to begin shipping games by the end of October." Which to me means production probably won't start in September if they are still seeking approvals?
Thanks for clarifying.

Clearly we have learnt some lessons about the licensing process. So what does this mean for the timeline of this game? Everyone involved with this game is in agreement that we are going to target the UK Pinball Party, on 21st-23rd August 2015 (at Heighway Pinball’s factory in Merthyr Tydfil, UK) as the global launch of this game.

Things always seem to take much longer than expected so I don't get too disappointed when stated timelines aren't met. In the end I just hope for a killer product.

#7638 7 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I only down vote when someone is saying something stupid, disrespectful or stating something for a fact when it is clearly wrong. And even in does circumstances I try to keep it at a minimum.

Me too, accept in rare cases like my above downvote to Wickerman's post above which just struck me as a humorous appropriate response.

That being said, a downvote is supposed to mean "disagreement" so I try not to take offense when people downvote my posts.

3 weeks later
#8849 7 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

In the future if you buy the latest playfield kit that requires a better processor than its predecessor, the kit is going to include the newest processor (it has to) and that associated extra cost will be included in the cost of the playfield purchase.

I'm thinking the issue may be that down the road new FT machines will have the updated cpu so if those buyers get an Alien kit they won't need a new cpu.

#8910 7 years ago

Raises hand. The perfect place to put pinball related stuff. I also have an RFM and keep the Episode 1 playfield stored underneath it.

#8911 7 years ago

Whatever you say Kaneda.

4 months later
#11657 7 years ago

I really like the way the game is shaping up. Great Job team Heighway!

One thing I miss is a shot that consistently sets up the upper right flipper like in High Speed. This is especially important with the significance of the lock ramp. The upper left flipper sort of does this since the pop bumpers aren't very active. That might not be the case if the pop bumpers are more sensitive.

Perhaps disabling the pops when the ball comes out of the Mystery shot for a few seconds will allow the upper left flipper to feed the upper right flipper.

Edit: Could even make it so the pop bumpers are only deactivated while the left flipper button is held after the mystery shot, so the player can choose to feed the upper flipper or go for the pops.

2 months later
#14996 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've always thought that motorsport themes were a bad idea, because there's something about them that really turns off non-fans. Like some themes might not be magical or special for you, but you don't actively dislike them and will buy them still. But racing and motorsports just seems to be real love/hate. If you're not into them you want nothing to do with them.

I'm not into motosports at all but think they work okay for a theme.

Quoted from Aurich:

On paper it's a game with a solid layout, shoots fast, especially for a widebody, LCD display, RGB lighting, all kinds of stuff that was more exotic feeling at the time. The oft-requested hand drawn art and unlicensed them! If the theme was different I feel like everything would have come out differently. But people saw Moto GP and backed away

For me, Heighway's misstep was announcing Aliens with such an aggressive production date before Full Throttle was even shipping. With their modular system it made more sense to buy Aliens first then add the less desirable Full Throttle kit after. As the Aliens date kept getting pushed out, so did the FT kit purchase.

#15005 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

True. Alien was announced Oct 2014 at Expo, and I received the first Full Throttle August 2015.
Some of this is real head scratcher stuff, and why Heighway is in the shape its in. There's no question mistakes were made.

Not to mention, they expected Aliens to start production in April 2015 when it was first announced!

#15007 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think starting off unlicensed is smart. Spooky did it with AMH before RZ, American Pinball is sort of doing it with Houdini, in that it's a name people know but they still have free reign, no studio looking over their shoulder etc.

I think one of the biggest problems with an unlicensed theme for a new company is that people have to play the game and the game has to be good before it sells. People will also be reluctant to buy from an unproven company, so the company has to be able to self finance and withstand this delay until money starts coming in.

From what I've seen, one exception to this is limited games which people may pre-purchase due to perceived collectibility or fear of missing out.

#15079 6 years ago

IMO Aliens still looks like a bargain compared to a Stern premium. They just need to get them production worthy.

Locking in the price is the only clear benefit of pre-ordering to me.

JJP started WOZ at $6500 for the ECLE with planned increases in the first year to $7000 and $7500, finally topping out at $9000 towards the end of availability.

That price break came with a bunch of ups and downs and delays and risk.

I really hope Heighway can weather this storm for both the buyers and the people who devoted so much time to getting it to this point. The game looks great.

#15156 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

If he signed the papers and said AMFYOYO and can no longer be bothered to any significant degree, then he has decided to sink the project.

Except these guys have supposedly been involved with the project for quite some time. It's possible they have a good understanding of the current state of the project and how to move it forward without Andrew's help or interference.

3 weeks later
#15474 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

There will always be guys who really don't care about the price other than it being too low to brag about.

Yep, that's my problem. The manufacturers just aren't raising their prices high enough to continue impressing my friends.

Was really disappointed there wasn't a $15k Star Wars SLE.

1 month later
#15845 6 years ago

I always figured I'd wait to see what the LE looked like once all the features were solidified. If I didn't think it was worth the extra money I could roll back to an SE.

Sounds like some of the LE features are still in flux. Perhaps Heighway could give pre-order buyers the option to keep their LE or go to an SE with select options at the original prices and refund the difference.

2 weeks later
#16100 6 years ago

Remember when JJP was getting the factory ready for WOZ? A lot goes into setting up a production line for pinball machines.

fw_jersey_jacks_pinball_fortune_0185 (resized).jpgfw_jersey_jacks_pinball_fortune_0185 (resized).jpg
fw_jersey_jacks_pinball_fortune_0365 (resized).jpgfw_jersey_jacks_pinball_fortune_0365 (resized).jpg
fw_jersey_jacks_pinball_fortune_0644 (resized).jpgfw_jersey_jacks_pinball_fortune_0644 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#16290 6 years ago

Not too long ago buyers were anticipating getting no machine and having to scramble to recover any of their deposits.

How times have changed. I know people want to get what was promised but what if the new owners said they can't discount the preorder LEs a significant amount and still stay in business?

#16385 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Can someone explain what is included in LE vs standard? I've searched online and really found nothing that is current.

Features haven't been 100% finalized yet on the LE.

I think the features on the Standard haven't changed from what was listed.

2 months later
#18626 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

whatever 'droves' they had sold, they have refunded quite a number of them; many who are so upset that they will not be back to purchase even if the game is made in numbers.

I'm one of the earlier buyers who got his deposit refunded from Heighway shortly before Andrew left.

At the time I was disappointed more than upset, and relieved to have gotten my money back.

The game is looking good, but it's that feeling of dodging a bullet that keeps me from jumping back in (especially at the higher price point). I will wait until both the game and the company have shown themselves to be reliable.

Still, I realize the company won't succeed if everyone is "waiting", so I appreciate those who are willing to take the chance now.

I wish everyone the best in getting their games, parts or refunds. I'll see where things are in a couple of years and reevaluate.

3 weeks later
#19069 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That said...just curious, is this really your only/first game?

Quoted from VividPsychosis:

When I got woz, I had to adjust 1 magnet. When I got ghostbusters I didn’t have to do a thing, when I got mmr I didn’t have to touch a thing, both 100 percent.

1 month later
#19723 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I think even with their current issues if they were more transparent and communicated more it would make things a lot better.

I hear this sentiment a lot but doubt that it's true.

I suspect that if Heighway (and other struggling manufacturers) were truly transparent and communicated more, people would run for the hills.

From the manufacturer's point of view it's probably better to let people fill in the blanks with their own imagination rather than lie, string them along or confirm their fears. Communication can wait until there is something positive to share.

#19782 6 years ago

The original flyer for the Standard said "Game Subject to Change by Production". My expectation was that specifications were even less set in stone for the LE when I preordered.

I figured if I didn't think the final LE features were worth the extra cost, I could drop back to a Standard. Having experienced pricing increases with JJP throughout the long development time of WOZ, I expected price/value would likely be in flux for the Alien LE vs Standard and that the pre-order price for the LE might still be better than a future price of a Standard, even if it ended up without all the listed features.

For HW, it's balancing the risk of losing customers by not giving the expected value vs making enough money to stay in business.

I don't think many of us thought the lighted ramps warranted a $800 upcharge on the Standard. My pre-order was dropped during the turmoil with Andrew but I would have been happy with the 27" monitor upgrade in their stead.

#19837 6 years ago

When SkitB announced EOD I saw it as a positive sign, even though it meant they were diverting some resources away from Predator.

Announcing and showing progress on a second title told me they were looking to stay in business past Predator. Didn't really want to buy a machine from a one and done manufacturer, due to lack of future support.

I agree with a previous poster that a viable manufacturer has to be working on the next game while producing the current game due to the long development cycles.

No more pre-orders for me though. I think in the current climate, if they are relying on pre-orders for the next game to stay in business, they are done.

Maybe announcing the next game could be an attempt to attract investors.

1 month later
#20431 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

From the perspective of Heighway 2.0 - would you either give a pin away to someone you have seen no money from, or give it to the person who has actually paid you money?

I would rather "sell" it for the most money I can get. Which would be to someone who hasn't given me anything yet and is paying the current top price.

Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Thanks everyone! I’ll wait for now. I don’t want to line jump anyone, I agree that it’s bad karma. I went back and read a bunch of this thread, ouch.

I don't think it's bad karma in this case. If the company is barely treading water, new money in may be the only thing that keeps them afloat and helps them get to a point where they can fulfill older orders.

Caveat emptor though. No guarantee money directly to Heighway will result in a game so use a credit card and make sure you're covered.

#20438 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I know this isn't the case, at least from the response I received to my reply to their offer. They are offering it to me shipped direct from them and as long as I don't want to change any options, shortly after payment. It sounds like all these emails recently received are pins on the line and ready to be wrapped up now.

In that case, ask for COD.

1 week later
#20488 6 years ago

It's probably a fuse.

(sorry for your troubles, just couldn't resist)

1 week later
#20637 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The boat isn't leaving until sufficient people have paid in full, and I doubt many people with any clue about the situation are keen to pay in full knowing how flaky the promises are. Bit of a chicken & egg situation.

I thought there were a lot of people who have already paid in full with Heighway.

#20708 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

In all seriousness, I don't care if there are issues any more. I'd be happy to just pay the remainder for any machine at this point.

I'm sure Heighway would be happy to take your money on a game that hasn't been fully paid for yet. You'll get your game on Tuesday.

#20813 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I thought people were doing it now. They are buying machines, and still want them, even though they know they will not function 100%

That brings up a good question. For those people who have money with Cointaker, would you prefer a refund or a game, on the condition that Cointaker is not responsible for any warranty work?

#20840 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I only meant that maybe some people would want the game bad enough to take it as is. I'm sure CT could sell the games with problems to someone who would love to work on it. Just a thought...er, I guess not a good one....

I think it's a very good thought Ted! If this really is the death knell for Heighway, I expect people will be lining up to snag one of the existing games. And rightly so, by all accounts it's an excellent game and the rarity will make it very valuable. People will figure out how to keep them running. This is no box of lights like Magic Girl.

Quoted from legionsoup:

This is the situation that I'm in, and I'm waiting to see if I can get the game. Seems like if something breaks (or doesn't work out of the box), people here have shown they will help fellow Alien owners.
The only way I'll get my money back is if Cointaker calls or emails me and tells me they decided they aren't going to take the risk and cancels all orders. I pre ordered through them last summer, and paid in full maybe 6 or so weeks ago.

Cointaker is in weird predicament. They could probably buy the container full and sell them as is at a nice profit if Heighway goes under. However, they're smart not to take shipment on the games if they have to support them in the normal way as a distributor.

#21011 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm pulling an NDA from now on when I don't feel like explaining anything.

Great idea, I'm going to try that on my wife.

"I'd love to tell you why I didn't come home last night but I can't because of an NDA."

#21242 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes, that would be me. I posted irrefutable evidence and I was villainized for it. Read the follow up to my comment in the link I'm providing and monitor the voting. You should have seen the private messages I received.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/141#post-3301083

I think this supports Forceflow's assertion that factual information from a known pinsider is allowed (regardless of negativivity), since you weren't moderated and your post wasn't deleted.

I appreciated your post back then. I had a deposit down and it was a piece of real information to consider versus all the speculation.

Quoted from BD_Designs:

All I'm saying is that maybe when someone calls bullshit on something and raises a red flag, regardless of whether it's a prediction or is blatant fact, we all just need to stop and think about it for a moment. Could it be possible?

I agree, we should. However, from a forum perspective, if Pinside allows shill accounts to slander a company the potential negative impact is much greater (ie. the company folding) versus Pinside not restraining fanboyism where maybe someone is influenced to pre-order a machine.

With hindsight it's easy to determine what was or wasn't real. In my opinion it's up to each of us to wade through all the information, speculation, opinions, etc.. , and make up our own minds. Caveat Emptor.

#21622 5 years ago

I think we're giving up too soon. The new investors may still pull this one out once they reorganize under their new name.

Edit: Guess I should have added a winky emoticon.

#21665 5 years ago

The new/old investors had poor communication and some questionable tactics towards the end. Still, don't know if they deserve to be tarred and feathered.

Not sure if all the original buyers who wanted refunds got them, but certainly far more people got refunds or a game than if the new/old investors hadn't taken over and poured more money in.

Is there anyone who stayed in or jumped on board post Andrew without eyes wide open?

#21672 5 years ago

Sorry for your loss.

#21777 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Oh I totally believe that. Andrew probably just spoke to agent, got a figure and said, "Ahhh, we don't need her anyway!"

I wonder if she would be offended if she came across the machine and discovered she wasn't in it.

Little chance of that happening now.

#21897 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

How is there any other credible explanation?

Money grows on trees?

#21901 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

then why weren't people questioning/investigating Andrew as to whether he had sufficient funding to finance such an operation instead of assuming he had the situation covered? he wasn't going to be able to convert his thousands of up votes into pounds sometime in the future.

People were questioning plenty. Sorry, I wasn't willing to hire a private investigator or forensic accountant in the UK to protect my $1500 deposit.

BTW my deposit was eventually refunded.

1 week later
#22064 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If anyone can't name 3 Iron Maiden songs, then you know they were home-schooled and their mom would not allow it......or they grew up listening to Michael Jackson
"Dude, who would win in a fight, Michael Jackson or Prince ????"

Couldn't name a single Iron Maiden song before the pin came out. Was never into heavy metal but listened to the the games entire playlist to see if I could tolerate their music. Sorry, couldn't, sounded like noise to me. Those who do enjoy IM are fortunate because they can get what looks to be an awesome pin.

Of course, as you point out, I did grow up in the Michael Jackson era so that could explain it . Not sure if I qualify as an "old geezer" yet.

Edit: Did the same thing when the Metallica pin came out and could live with those songs.

1 month later
#22547 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Everything that's on an LE can be re-created, beacons, powdercoat, side lit rails, and even the plaque.

The artwork on the translite and side panels is different but I like the artwork on the Standard better anyway. I think the reality is an Alien pinball in any form is a limited edition.

#22583 5 years ago

#228 LE blue has landed from Australia. No noticeable rough treatment in shipping.

Some blemishes on the glass frame powdercoat in the traditional lock bar area. LE # plastic mounted off center.

Had to bend targets below xeno head forward to prevent jaw from rubbing.

Revive and Scream lights were out, reseating connector fixed problem.

#22584 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I sometimes get an extend error. WHen I do shot test it sometimes goes all the way in other times stops randomly some where.

Perhaps the plastic gear is no longer glued to the shaft?

#22680 5 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but due to those who have lost money on this game, I cringe a little when I see people raving about the game, discussing mods and looking for repair information in this thread.

Would it be better to ask for repair advice in the thread below? It would help keep the information in one place too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/12#post-4500519

I think there are review threads too that could be added to.

#22682 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

We should leave this thread for complaining.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

#22687 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We didn't work as hard as we did for years for people to pretend that the game we made doesn't exist.
If you're emotionally hurt over the whole thing I sure don't blame you, but just drain the thread and move on, don't tell people to not post about the game.

That's a good point too Aurich. Hmm....

Is moving the excitement of game ownership out of this thread and into others the same as pretending it doesn't exist?

You may be right, if other threads quickly fall off the front page and are lost.

#22736 5 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss. Don't know about recourse and haven't heard of any active lawsuits. Estimate is between 120 and 200 games produced. Last I checked, Wayne (Ballypinball) in Australia has Standards for sale at $9k US in the marketplace.

1 week later
#22791 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So what is the consensus on those last Alien machines that were shipped? Are they working/reliable?
From my observation it seems that they are, which makes it a bigger shame that they pulled the plug on everything.

So far the game has been working and reliable, but not a lot of games on it yet so too soon to know long term.

#22798 5 years ago

I haven't heard of anything other than acrylic for the plastics.

#22806 5 years ago

Has anyone tried putting mylar on the underside of the plastics?

#22808 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That won't help.

If it doesn't help prevent breaking, wouldn't it keep the pieces together at least?

#22818 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I don't think protectors are the answer here - they won't fit with the plastics. We need a new plastic set as well

I was able to put plastic fender washers below the right slingshot plastic by using a technique Clay H. mentioned of inserting them between the star post and the post stud. I also added them to the inlane guide posts to keep the level constant. Perhaps the protectors can mount the same way.

Major question is which edges need to be protected? Take for example the pop bumper plastic below the right side of the Alien head. Since the acrylic is so brittle, which of the following is better?

1) The typical protector that extends beyond the plastic. This protects against edge strikes but creates a shelf that can be hit from below.
2) No protector. Edge is exposed but doesn't extend beyond the post.

Alien_Pop_Plasitc (resized).pngAlien_Pop_Plasitc (resized).png

#22846 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Has anybody had a chance to hook up an external sub? I got that polk audio 10" from Amazon for like 99.00. I think I just wire it to the leads on the existing woofer in the cabinet, + / -.. and let the power to the sub take care of the rest

Curious to see if you think the subwoofer adds much. As it is, I can feel the floor vibrate with the stock speakers on some of the low notes.

#22848 5 years ago

I already hear the game behind me rattle. Really fantastic sound.

#22894 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

In fact, this is a chance you bought this game. You are finally the best HP support with some other great persons of HP team. Thanks so much

Yes, much thanks to you, Timebandit, and the guys from the Weyland Yutani thread (Knockerlover and Pinbackpacker) for all the work you're doing sourcing or making replacement parts.

Also thanks to the remaining HP American team (Aurich, Ferret and BCD) and Ballypinball who continue to remain active in these threads offering support where they can.

#22909 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Need some help. The wire that goes to the small screen on the playfield. It has come off from below the playfield (marked with yellow arrow) - where should one attach it under the playfield? The hole to the small screen has been marked with green arrow. Can you please show the correct place where to plug the wire with a picture? Thank you very much!
[quoted image]

Lower left corner.

IMG_20180810_211513181 (resized).jpgIMG_20180810_211513181 (resized).jpgIMG_20180810_211559612 (resized).jpgIMG_20180810_211559612 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#22959 5 years ago

Who is selling cliffy for Alien?
Thanks

The most recent games come with a Cliffy protector on the scoop. If you are getting an older game, you can order one from Cliffy. Though maybe someone more local to you also has them.

www.passionforpinball.com

#23004 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Replacement LED boards are in production. Should be available from tomorrow.

That is too cool!

#23011 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Replacement LEDs built and tested. They will come in packs of 8 with the legs off. Can ship them flat inside a card as a letter like that. Keep postage down. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fantastic!

#23014 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

They are as big of a loser as Andrew IMO

They handed out a lot of refunds and made improvements to the game to get it where it is today before calling it quits.

IMO, they are no where near as big a loser as Andrew. Now if we're talking about money, then I suspect they're a bigger loser (lost more of their own funds).

#23018 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

ya..good point.. they did seem to try before getting in over their heads. Just disspaointed in how it turned out. Don't know how anyone could support their future endeavours tho.

Yeah, I'm disappointed too.

They might get support if they made everyone who lost money whole first, didn't ask for any pre-order money and produced a good product. We can be a pretty forgiving group when someone makes a real effort to correct past wrongs.

#23063 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Sling contacts is greaaaat ... now we need the clear 3D target on the list
I am still working on the whole plasticset in unbreakable VIVAK and not Plexi like original.
Printing on Vivak and lasering is tricky but possible. We have good files but even here we have to work on every single plastic and work on the edges, printer settings and laser. But ... it will go on ...
Picture: First test ....
[quoted image]

I'm also working with Pinbits here in the states to get a plastic protector set made. There is still enough thread for the nuts to grab, but they don't quite make it to the nylon locking portion. I ordered some thinner lock nuts that should work fine.

2 weeks later
#23191 5 years ago

I have all my shaker settings maxed out. I can feel it but it is very anemic, the rotation seems too slow.

#23198 5 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Isnt there a setting for power? If you have one of the last ones with my shaker in then it would need to be maxed.

I do have one of the last ones and I think I have the power maxed out. Do you know what voltage it's running at and if the power is changed by adjusting the pulse width?

#23217 5 years ago
Quoted from angusb:

Daniel at Free Play dropped me a note. It sounds like people saw the post above re his Alien parts and contacted him to buy product so he was pleased! In our chat Daniel also said - in case people are interested - that he understands that a German distributor (Vegas) has a couple of late production Aliens left for sale. Looking at the website https://vegas-store.de/shop/flipper/item/alien-le (and using google translate!) he seems to but I suspect anyone interested needs to be in contact with Vegas directly!

9995eu - VAT = 8000eu = $9400 US

Does anyone know if there are import duty charges on pinball machines shipped from Germany? There were none for machines shipped from Australia.

#23228 5 years ago

bcd Is there a way to tell what weapon(s) you have available during multiball and choose one?

#23231 5 years ago

If I remember correctly, when multiball is running the weapons display isn't shown. Is there a way to bring it back?

#23233 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

The mini display above the scoop shows the weapons during multiball. The backbox/playfield displays do not.

Thanks!

#23250 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

So, I got my Cliffy scoop protector the other day, so I'm installing that and upgrading the plastic xenomorph gear to the metal one, cleaning and mylaring.
So far so good. But, when the xenomorph extends it bumps the teeth on the lower jaw. Is there a way to adjust the jaw to open a bit further? I've run the calibration and other tests, but I don't see a way to adjust the jaw like I'd like. Do you have the manually, bend the wire that attaches to the servo?
Any help appreciated.

Did you check that the jaw isn't hitting the targets?

2 weeks later
#23398 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The 1.2 software includes an "Install Quaker" preset that adjusts the shaker settings to be better suited for the Quaker shaker (vs the Cointaker Red Tremor that was previously installed). I personally found that even with these settings, the effect of the Quaker is more subdued than that of the Red Tremor. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion.

Does anyone know where to find the "Install Quaker" option?

#23419 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys I adjusted all power supplies to US 110 or whatever, but my launcher still is weak. Keeps firing probably 4-5 times before ball finally makes it! Any other advice?
Thanks

Could you describe the problem a little more?

1) Is it not making it to the launcher?
2) Is it launching but not making it up the wireform?
3) Is it launching and making it up the wireform but bouncing back?

#23421 5 years ago

I haven't examined that area but you might want to check that all the screws attaching the launcher to the playfield are tight.

#23449 5 years ago

Does it look like the plunger is striking the ball in the middle?

Did you try moving the coil manually to see if anything is binding?

You might try swapping the I/O board with one of other ones to see if that makes a difference. Be careful when removing and inserting the USB cable.

1 week later
#23488 5 years ago

I've hit the right facehugger (mini loop) with the left upper flipper but it's a tough shot.

The best way I hit the chest burster target is with the upper left flipper. It can also be made with the lower left flipper but it's a very tight shot.

On my machine, the metal guide leading to the chest burster target was directing the ball to the left of the target. This caused well hit shots from the upper left flipper to go too far to the left and miss the target. After removing the guide, elongating the holes with a dremel and repositioning the guide a little to the right, the shot works as expected and is much easier.

Fixed
Alien Chestburster  Guide Fix (resized).jpgAlien Chestburster Guide Fix (resized).jpg

Original
Alien Chestburster guide original (resized).jpgAlien Chestburster guide original (resized).jpg

#23507 5 years ago

The second part is more important for me as I think your ratio is wrong. I estimate that at least 80% of the balls coming from bumpers exit to left side and so only 20% to right side and UR flipper.

I haven't kept careful track but I think mine is closer to 50%. It makes it to the upper right flipper enough to not annoy me.

If I wanted to try and make it feed the upper right flipper more often, I would play with the sensitivity of one or more of the pop bumpers.

The chest burster shot can also feed it..

3 weeks later
#23587 5 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Question...has anyone experienced during game play where the upper right flipper stops working? After several seconds or more it then starts to work again.
Also during this time some of the leds under the center/right side of playfield go dark. If I turn the game off and on again everything works again.
Is it a loose cable...power source, bad board? It doesn’t happen all of time but when it does it’s normally within the first 15 minutes of play from the time of turning on the game.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had that issue too. Replacing the usb cable didn't make a difference for me. Swapping in a spare I/O board did the trick. If changing the usb cable doesn't work and you don't have a spare, you might try changing places with one of the other I/O boards.

1 week later
#23613 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Very clever, I'll see what I can do. So far 1 at a time - thx for the help

If I remember correctly it wasn't too much trouble. I kept the boards connected, ie six or seven in a row. Put them in my pc board holder and placed it high so I could get under it. Loaded the headers then just put a little solder on one of the pins from each header to hold it in place. Then flipped the boards to solder the rest of the pins and resolder the first pin from each header that was just tack soldered.

Last step was to add the headers to the edges of the outer boards that were covered by the grooves of my pc board holder.

2 weeks later
#23662 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ironically, a day after you posted (sorry about your leg), my top 2 pops decided to glow green only after cycling. Lamp test somewhat tricky as the GI at the start of the string light white, but the pops are green.
I'll be popping the top in the next day or so (pretty much all the lighting is accessed from underside of PF), and let you know what I find. We may have the same problem (except the broken leg thing...ouch...can't imagine this thing falling on me..hope you are healing....)....mark

The first thing I would try is swapping the I/O board. Much easier to get to.

#23665 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Honestly, I wouldn’t. It’s likely not the cause of the issue, and you risk breaking the fragile usb connector and header pins. (I’ve broken two)
My advice would be (with the game off) to unscrew the board from the playfield just enough so you can reach the light..
Also pull a bulb out from a different I/O board that you can easily reach by removing a few screws..
Plug that known good bulb into 1-A1 and see what happens. My guess is the string will light up, but if not slowly work up the chain plugging that known good bulb into each socket up to the pops.
I doubt the pops themselves are the issue, but it’s possible.

I stand corrected

knockerlover Were you able to repair the broken connector/header pins on the I/O boards?

3 weeks later
#23761 5 years ago
Alien Amplifier Set-up.jpgAlien Amplifier Set-up.jpg
1 week later
#23781 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

hey guys I recently turned on my Alien after several weeks, and the left sling just keeps triggering like crazy. The test mode, shows that the lower left sling is "active" where do u think the problem is? Anyone had this issue before?
do you think it is all related to my two top pop bumpers which lights go intermittently go in and out or is that a separate issue?
Thanks

I would start by checking the blade switches on that slingshot.

#23783 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey man thanks for the reply, yes that seems to be the problem, if I don't move the rubber band it says "active" if I move the rubber band free up that leaf switch it goes "inactive". maybe that leaf switch needs to be replaced?? Where do I even find one? I have never worked on a sling before
THanks!

They usually just need to be adjusted, not replaced. A pliers or blade adjusting tool is needed to separate them.

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

Lift the playfield and adjust from underneath. Turn the power off to be safe.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-gunning-slingshot#post-3814989

1 month later
#23894 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

One thing I was thinking though was that maybe I need the angle the ball through a little using washer.

Perhaps the balls are magnetized and sticking together in the trough.

1 month later
#24322 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Just grateful someone stepped up and did these for everyone needing a set. New version of game? Would be awesome for more to own these.

Are the PETG plastic sets available again?

1 month later
#24661 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Weird thing: running 1.2 but when magnet activates, Every once in a while it shuts down the upper right flipper? No fuses are blown. Any ideas? I’m not sure exactly when it happens but I thought it was when magnet engages turn the main off but now it seems to still do it.

Mine was doing the same thing. Swapped in a spare I/O board and it's been fine since. Didn't try trading places with a different I/O board in the machine. Swapping USB cables didn't make a difference.

3 weeks later
#24777 4 years ago

Dave, I'm very sorry you were not properly compensated for all you did at Heighway.

The only bright side I can see is that you (and the other contributors) brought a couple of excellent pinball machines in FT and Alien into existence. It might not put food on the table, but it is something you can be very proud of and may help offset the feeling of a wasted 5 years.

4 weeks later
#25067 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I have uploaded revision 1.1 of the installation instructions, now the title-page is correct and shows the acrylic panels with mounted monitor lighted by LED-Stripe.

Wow! I think that's the most professional looking installation manual I've seen for a mod.

2 weeks later
#25326 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

That's not true. the FT and Alien cabinets are the same. My Alien was in a FT cabinet, complete with FT serial number and all.

I have a FT and an Alien. The corners on the glass magazine are different on the FT. The corners aren't cut at an angle.

2 weeks later
#25373 4 years ago

Cliffy makes a carbon fiber magnet protector that works and looks good on Alien. I have it on mine and it doesn't interfere with the magnet operation. I don't see it on his website but you can probably email him and get one.

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/cliffy-protectors/stern-magnet-post-protector-carbon-fiber-metrbion/

1 month later
#25601 4 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Well, in my video from previous owner, I was looking for it and it wasn’t nearly as prominent as it is now.

May be that the video was not an accurate representation. LED brightness can look different in person.

2 months later
#25872 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Oh i'll make a date on announcement. I'll take bets on before year end.
You have two options, 1) Drinks at TPF or 2) $1k minimum bet

To clarify, year end 2019.

Quoted from iceman44:

Time to get your bet down and/or make yourself look foolish. Let's go.
I'll up it to announce AND deliver before year end.
Ohhhhhh, no way that can happen right? Crickets?

Okay Ice, I'm going to choose option #2.

3 weeks later
#25938 4 years ago

You often see a similar failure in other pinball machines. Usually replacing the drive transistor fixes the problem. Sometimes you need to replace the predrive transistor too. The problem can extend to the logic (digital drive integrated circuit) but it's rare. If the protection diode is bad or not soldered well the problem will soon happen again after the components are replaced.

Sometimes they put the protection diode on the coil itself. Not sure if that's the case with Heighway coils. I don't think it's a bad thing to have redundant protection though with a diode on the board and the coil.

#25954 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

So I ended up purchasing audio quest shielded cables. While some
May say this is a waste of money @ $35 a cable I think it’s cheap insurance. Here is a cool report / comparison about 8 generic “shielded” cables. You can clearly see the difference in protection from interferences you discussed in your response. This is what ultimately led to my purchase decision.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/usb-cable-shield-resistance-technical-measurements.5662/

I'm surprised the reviewer didn't use a 4-wire measurement set-up to measure the shield resistance. I also wonder how much of a factor the USB connector is.

Still, the set-up is consistent and shows quite a difference.

4 weeks later
#26150 4 years ago

I'd also be in for a PETG set if one is available.

3 weeks later
#26334 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

A bit difficult due to rarity.
Can you do me a favor and measure the ground and 12v on that plug you took a pic of? That would eliminate a lot of this. My current guess is I have it wired correctly, but fried the optos when I wired it up the first time.

I have a machine from one of the later LE runs. Here are photos of the connectors at the drop target board and the main board.

DC voltages measured (coin door open - high voltage disabled):

Red to Black = 5.03V

A target down, Orange to Black = 4.98V
P Target down, Yellow to Black = 4.98V
C Target up, Blue to Black = 0.01V

A target up, Orange to Black = 0.01V
P Target up, Yellow to Black = 0.01V
C Target down, Blue to Black = 4.98V

A target up, Orange to Black = 0.01V
P Target down, Yellow to Black = 4.98V
C Target up, Blue to Black = 0.01V

IMG_20200319_144353 (resized).jpgIMG_20200319_144353 (resized).jpgIMG_20200319_144416 (resized).jpgIMG_20200319_144416 (resized).jpg

#26336 4 years ago

I’m jealous...you have wires of different colors!
What date of built of yours?

Inspection label says March, 1, 2018.

#26352 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Very nice, so per the pics my center black pcb that holds the io board is different. I have an extra plug on it where my power wire goes. It is 12v and not 5v. I will switch it, but chances are the optos are fried and will need replacing.

I don't know what circuitry is on the drop target board but if there is a 5V logic chip, it may be blown.

Do you have a picture of the topside of the drop target board?

2 weeks later
#26510 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I have 1.3, I don’t see why I should stay at 1.2
Anyhow upon further investigation I noticed 2 other things:
-Often the balls dont roll to the end in the through. Its a mechanical issue. There is nothing sticking out anywhere to block it, they just dont roll down (I tried different playfield angles and checked if game is set up horizontally sideways).
I’m sure my through has a problem.
BUT
Then there is this issue of the shooter coil randomly firing and I have a second much worse problem:
After some minutes of play the bottom flippers dont respond for a few secs, sometimes all flippers. I can push the buttons, nothing happens. Then they come back ‘alive’ and they flip again.
Sometimes all 4, somethings only bottom 2 or just left or right bottom.
Maybe all these things are related, maybe not. Any ideas?
As asked, I want to buy a spare through assy. Who has one.
And I will proceed to replace all the USB cables, just in case.
Which cables should I get?

Did you check to make sure the balls aren't magnetized?

3 months later
#27025 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what these extra parts are worth?
1) Lower PCB main board
2) Middle PCB main board
3) Upper PCB main board
4) Alien Motherboard Computer
5) Alien Hard drive
6) IO board
7) FULL set of replacement plastics PETG (Very Hard to find)
8) Power supply board
9) Audio Amplifier
10) 6 Coils
11) Bunch of LEDs and Proprietary switches
12) Trough Opto emitter boards
13) 3 Alien Pop sculp
14) 3 Alien Pop LEDs
15) Full Alien head with servos and tongue stepper board
16) Replacment Facehugger
17) 4 complete stand up targets and Bunch Stand up target LED's
18) Backup set of Cliffy Alien Scoop & magnet

I'd say ball park of about $2000 to $2500.

#27027 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Thank you for the estimate.

Note, that estimate was for the original cost which may be different than their worth.

1 month later
#27475 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

My 12v and 70v power has tested good. I ordered some shielded usb cables to replace three that are not shielded. I tested all coils again and some are working, some just get a slight bump and some do not work. All pop bumpers, cab and backbox lights, beacons and shaker work. All flippers, slings, left eject and auto launch get a slight bump. All other coils do not work. I swapped out #3 I/O board with a spare and no change.

I usually like to start troubleshooting at the point of the problem and work backwards. For example, start at the non-functioning or partially functioning coil.
In your case where coils driven by multiple I/O boards are not working but some are, I suspect the problem is a blown fuse or lies in the connections between the power supply board and the I/O boards. It's also possible there is more than one problem.

Have you checked the fuses on the Power board (board in the bottom of the cabinet)? If not, remove the cover and check that all the leds are on.

#27478 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

All fuses are good. I've swapped out I/O boards #0 & #3 with a spare with no luck, going to try #1 & #2 when I am not working next. I have a spare PS board to swap out also.

I just took a look at my machine, as I haven't had to do any electronic troubleshooting yet on a Heighway game. The first thing I noticed is there is no common ground like a ground braid, running throughout the machine. This makes it difficult to connect the (-) probe of your meter to measure individual voltages. To fix this, I added a wire to a ground point on the I/O board of the coil I wanted to check. Note, I checked that the gound of the board I was looking at was connected to the ground of a different I/O board so you only need to connect the (-) terminal of your meter to one ground point for all measurements.
IMG_20200821_144456 (resized).jpgIMG_20200821_144456 (resized).jpg

If you don't want to add a wire, you can also pick up ground at pin2 on the THROUGHPOWER connector. If you do this, I would recommend clipping pin1 or putting some electrical tape around it to keep from accidentally shorting it to ground.

IMG_20200821_175457 (resized).jpgIMG_20200821_175457 (resized).jpg

Back to the coil problem. Although I doubt you have an individual coil problem, here is some general information on how to troubleshoot a coil issue. Excuse me if you already know this as it may help someone else.

Coil operation: 70V (purple wire) always on when the coin door is closed (both terminals of the coil should measure 70V). Control line of the coil momentarily pulled to ground when the coil is activated.

I can think of the following reasons why a coil won't work correctly:
1 )70V power not getting to the coil.
a. broken or poor connection from the power supply to the I/O board.
b. broken or poor connection from I/O board to the coil.

2) Broken or poor connection from the control line to the coil.

3) Coil filament broken.

4) Drive electronics faulty.
a. Failure is typically a damaged drive transistor that shorts the control line to ground. This will cause the coil to melt if left on too long.
i. replacing the drive transistor is usually sufficient but it's possible the circuitry upstream is also damaged.
ii. a bad diode can also cause the drive transistor to fail.

For your issue, I would start with one of the partially functioning coils. Put the game in test mode and check the voltages at each terminal of the coil with respect to ground when not activated and when activated. Remember to close the coin door when making measurements.

The 70V on the purple wire shouldn't drop much when the coil is activated. The voltage on the control line should go to 0V but this is hard to measure with a DVM because the pulse is short.

If it’s not clear what is wrong, repeat the process on a working coil and compare the results.

3 months later
#28029 3 years ago

Thanks razorsedge, will have to try your guide adjustments.

In case new owners are interested and missed it, reposting this entry from a couple of years ago to improve the chestburster shot. Made a big difference.

"The best way I hit the chest burster target is with the upper left flipper. It can also be made with the lower left flipper but it's a very tight shot.
On my machine, the metal guide leading to the chest burster target was directing the ball to the left of the target. This caused well hit shots from the upper left flipper to go too far to the left and miss the target. After removing the guide, elongating the holes with a dremel and repositioning the guide a little to the right, the shot works as expected and is much easier."

Original
Alien Chest Guide Original (resized).jpgAlien Chest Guide Original (resized).jpg

Fixed
Alien Chest Guide Fixed (resized).jpgAlien Chest Guide Fixed (resized).jpg

1 week later
#28069 3 years ago

razorsedge That tongue mod really looks good. Great job!

1 month later
#28333 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I'm not sure, but maybe there's a software issue with the Amode of the Beacons.
Can someone check and switch on the Amode (factory setting) and watch if the beacons will rotate after the boot sequence?
Mine doesn't work with latest software revision 1.4.

Beacons no longer turn on after boot sequence. They can be activated in "coil" test.

#28336 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Yes, I know and Brian told me this, but he also said that the menu "Amode Beacons" will switch on or off the Attract mode for the beacons... so what's right or wrong?

I don't see the beacons turning on in attract mode with AMODE set to "yes".

2 months later
#28515 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I know this is the Alien thread, but I recently bought a Full Throttle with issues and this seems to be the only active Heighway thread. Hoping someone here can help.
I had a group of lights that were out when the game arrived. I understand these are serial and one out impacts everything down the chain. So, I identified the first one out and swapped a bunch of the individual lights in the area. This got them to go back on, but now they are still quite intermittent during gameplay. The out lights always start with the same socket. I've swapped that first bulb with others, but the out lights always start from the same spot. So, does that mean the issue is with the socket? What am I supposed to do from here?
Also, even when the lights are working, there are more of them out further down the same chain. I noticed that one of the individual wires leading to a light socket connector was pulled from the molex connector. That bulb always stays one color and the bulbs past it are always out. I don't know how to reconnect the wire to the connector. Are these cables available anywhere? I'm talking about the black wrapped wire bundles that go to each of the individual lights.
Thanks for any help.

Can you take a photo of the problem cable so I can take a look on mine?

2 months later
#28717 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I know several have already had this issue. Started game and the Xeno tongue extended all the way to the playfield and stopped. Won't retract now. So what is the fix?
Thanks

Mine's done that a couple of times. Just pushing it back in worked for me. Like it got past it's range or something.

3 months later
#28969 2 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

My HW Alien performed flawlessly over the recent UK Pinfest weekend (apart from a flipper rubber falling off!) - The PB one next to it had trough issues all through the weekend and drew a lot of negative comments. Mine has about 4000 plays on it after spending 2 years at Flipout London but did me proud.
[quoted image]

Our Alien's have good company. Mine is from the last batch of LE's out of Australia. I don't remember any issues out of the box. I adjusted the right guide rail in the chestburster lane to improve ball flow to the target. Over time I've had to deal with intermittent usb cables and a wire came off one of the targets.

Edit: Looking back through my posts I found the following issues.
Out of Box: Had to bend targets below xeno head forward to prevent jaw from rubbing. Revive and Scream lights were out, reseating connector fixed problem.
Over Time: Replaced one I/O board when changing USB cable didn't solve the issue.

Alien LE (resized).jpgAlien LE (resized).jpg Added over 2 years ago:

Retried problem board after replacing and rerouting cable away from pop bumper coils and it works fine now.

#28971 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Beautiful!!! I think blue was my favorite, though ended up w green as I just wanted one period when offered and knowing the lineage….

I think the blue works well with the LE Aliens coloring. My favorite color scheme for an LE would probably be the black trim (or a better color green powdercoat) with Aurich's iconic green Alien backglass.

#28983 2 years ago

I haven't noticed the flicker. Haven't made an effort to look for it though.
Edit: even before 1.4

#28993 2 years ago

Was having an issue with the I/O board locking up after a bunch of pop bumper hits so the upper right flipper would go dead along with the scoop kick out and a few other things. I got a new cable and kept it outside of the harness so now it's no where near the pop bumper coils or drive wires. Problem is gone.

I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues. This info has been posted before but figure it can't hurt to show it again for anyone coming into this thread late.

This was the problem board. Going to retry the board I took out to see if it works now as it had the same symptoms. Edit: put the old I/O board back in and it's working fine now.
aliencable1 (resized).jpgaliencable1 (resized).jpg
Added support here too.
aliencable2 (resized).jpgaliencable2 (resized).jpg
aliencable3 (resized).jpgaliencable3 (resized).jpg
I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues.
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-ladder-tree-wiring-harness-support-3-12-tall.html

1 week later
#29019 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Oke here is the link. Please share but don’t sell any of these in your store or online!
I also included all the original apron files and promo stuff,flipper decals,ramp decals etc etc
For the backbox decals you have to measure your exact Size incl 2 mm on top/sides/bottom so you can wrap around the metal frame . Also cut the image size to what you want to see. So more the front or the back of her helmet. Don’t resize the image or her face will be stretched etc.you can make her a bit bigger if you want to have her more up or down. I love the looks how I got here now,she is the middle of the monitor look up. Use the original file it’s 1000x6200 resolution you will get verry crisp image when print.
https://we.tl/t-wqQLt8MxNJ
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Thanks for sharing your work with us.
This may be a dumb question but what material and method did you use to print the backbox decals? I know it's not going to fit on an 8.5"x11" sheet.

2 weeks later
#29074 2 years ago

See what I did below to fix my intermittent problems with i/o board #1. You can try just routing the cable away from the pop bumper coils first. If you remove the cable from the wires it's bundled with it can take a more direct route away from the coils and to the computer.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Was having an issue with the I/O board locking up after a bunch of pop bumper hits so the upper right flipper would go dead along with the scoop kick out and a few other things. I got a new cable and kept it outside of the harness so now it's no where near the pop bumper coils or drive wires. Problem is gone.
I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues. This info has been posted before but figure it can't hurt to show it again for anyone coming into this thread late.
This was the problem board. Going to retry the board I took out to see if it works now as it had the same symptoms. Edit: put the old I/O board back in and it's working fine now.
[quoted image]
Added support here too.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues.
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-ladder-tree-wiring-harness-support-3-12-tall.html

1 month later
#29144 2 years ago

Just got Mageek's airlock screen in and think it looks great.

PXL_20220104_001153493 (resized).jpgPXL_20220104_001153493 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#29211 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Here's the PCB.....https://www.free-play.se/en/electronics/circuit-boards/alien-stepper-pcb.html Grab this, as they tend to come and go (w Heighway printed on it)
Driver = A4988 Stepper Motor Drive...all over ebay...cheap.
Be certain your actual stepper motor (the small one operating the jaw) is not binding...even a new one. There's a bullet proof version, metal gears and metal case, that I installed in mine (thank you RC helicopter industry)......I'll shoot a pic of that tomorrow (fading here)...again, none of these are pricey or hard to get.
Most of the problems fell back to loose wiring, but some posted of the plastic gears stripping in the small stepper....
If you google "Alien Pinball stepper motor" it brings you to a great place in the thread when it was being sorted out.....truthfully, most every repair ever required, regardless of build date is in the thread as there was never any factory support. Google search is your friend......

There's very little to that board, just some passive components. I don't think there's much to go wrong except cold solder joints.

2 weeks later
#29252 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

Air Lock question
During multiball ( I avoid the airlock best I can) however if 2-3 balls go in there the coil has a hard time getting one out. Then it stops, ball search will do it's thing but no luck. Out comes the magnet.
Does anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?

The following post does a good job of describing the cause of the problem:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/527#post-5536987

Averell's description and solution is in the following posts:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/526#post-5517908
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/526#post-5518000
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/527#post-5536102

3 months later
#29408 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Sorry I keep bombarding this thread with posts, but another question I have is about replacing the glass. I think mine came with "roman pdI", but it looks weird. I can never it clean no matter what i do, there is always some weird spots or blurred areas. So I was thinking about ordering a new sheet of widebody PDI, anyone else do this?
Thanks

I have Roman PDI glass in my machine and don't see any weird spots or blurred areas. I use Sprayway glass cleaner with microfiber cloths.

2 months later
#29504 1 year ago

https://www.free-play.se/en/game-specific-parts/heighway-pinball/alien/alien-full-throttle-coil-c010.html

Though when coils fail like that you usually need to replace the drive transistor too.

Edit: just noticed they are out of stock. Perhaps someone knows of a compatible replacement, maybe the Pinball Brothers version?

#29508 1 year ago

Mr Pinball in Australia had a lot of original Alien parts. Don't see anything listed in their parts store but you could contact them.

#29516 1 year ago

Yes, thanks for taking the time to write such a well balanced review.

1 month later
#29536 1 year ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement flipper plate?
The upper left flipper plate has sheared underneath the coil stop - I tried welding it but it didn't last very long...
thanks.

Try Mr. Pinball in Australia.

1 year later
#29792 5 months ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I did not get to making a permanent screw hole. I was just trying it, and it worked sweet, and it stayed that way still Lol

So you made the opening narrower?

#29798 5 months ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

The way it was, virtually EVERY Shot that hit the shot range of Vent2 from Upper Left flipper, would Bounce Straight back Out off the ball guide, too close to hitting the Ball Guide Perpendicular.

Thanks for the explanation. I just wanted to make sure I understood your drawing, as on the surface, narrowing a shot entrance to improve makeability seemed counter intuitive (before I'd looked closely at my game).

After looking at my game, you're right that the shot entrance isn't narrowed from the path the ball takes from the upper left flipper.

I've been holding the upper right flipper up to use it's backside as a guide into VENT2. Still a very tight shot.

I'll use your suggestion when I get a chance. Thanks!

#29800 5 months ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

That's with a backhand Tap from lower right flipper though, so slow moving ball.

Without your fix, I think it's more makeable from the upper left flipper to the backside of the upper right flipper into VENT2, but the post in front of the upper right flipper makes the shot much tighter.

Couldn't tell from your photo, but do you still have the post in front of the flipper installed?

4 months later
#30007 40 days ago

Hi Averell,
Thanks for the suggestion. I still have an issue with the I/O board that controls the upper right flipper, VUK kick out, etc. Thought it was fixed when I moved the USB cable away from the coils, but the I/O board still cuts out every once in a while when the ball is in the POPs. Requires power cycling the game.

Does that sound like it could be related to your zero ohm resistor issue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.