pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Agent_Hero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15009 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And it has to be said the powder coating is beautiful on RZ. And a superb real backglass. The game doesn't look cheap.
Yes, the code is not that fun at the moment but here's the thing, it's not finished by a long way.
Ben Heck just spent 9 straight days helping David get V20 ready and there is more to come after that.
I think people will have a different opinion of this game when the code is finished.
Remember how MET and TWD went from duds to masterpieces, albeit it was Lyman on the code.

When's Ben gonna make the handheld version of RZ?

#15099 6 years ago

This game doesn't need her voice or likeness. It plays fine as a first player-perspective. What quotes or scenes related to her (and needing her consent) would even add to this game? I just watched both movies and it's more about the alien and survival than her as a character.

#15100 6 years ago

So who has a line on one of those crazy-big Xenomorph toppers like the Freddy everyone uses with their Nightmare on Elm Street pins? I figured some prop or Halloween supply place would have made one for Alien, but all I'm seeing are the full-scale models that cost $7k+ on ebay.

#15103 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I know some people could not care less about no Ripley but this is why I cancelled, pretty glad I did now...

What would she add to the game? Have you played it yet? The only quote I can recall off-hand is "get away from her, you bitch". Maybe add a clip of her sending an alien into space (when would such a clip even be used?), but for being the main protagonist she really doesn't have many iconic quotes--or even scenes--from either movie. I remember more of the secondary characters and their scenes than any of hers.

#15105 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Some of the Bradford exchange stuff is not all that big , but might be cool for toppers. i have been loking at some of those as possible playfield enhancers.

That's some cool stuff. How about this--I was thinking of an idea for all of those exposed lock nuts on the Weyland/Yutani ramps. A few of those could almost be covered with really small diodes that flash orange to simulate the beacons. I found some on a model train site that can be powered by 12 volts or even a 9 volt battery. I couldn't think of any way to make them appear to rotate, so a really slow flash would have to do.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ledlights1.html

Not sure if any pinball shops would have something similar. I was thinking of individual LED's like those pictured next to a penny on that site. LED strips wouldn't work for this idea. Since it could be powered off a separate 9 volt battery, that would take away any interference from wiring stuff into the game.

#15106 6 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Someday I'll open this, when the time is right.

$1,200?! Neat, but not for me.

#15109 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Doesn't really matter now mate, just glad I got out when I did.

Play it some time and tell me how empty you feel with it not having Ripley featured.

#15116 6 years ago

...and the cost for that one line wasn't worth it. There you have it.

#15125 6 years ago

Finally completed a mode, "Acid Burn". The bonuses for completing it were better than a lot of the scores I've put up so far. I'm still looking at the main screen more than the playfield screen.

#15128 6 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

hudson quotes were total classic.

Probably been said before, but his "Game over man" quote is in the sound test, but I haven't heard it in game. I think I saw the sound guy say it was going to be put in for a future update.

1 week later
#15304 6 years ago

My favorite part of the game so far is activating the "Sentry Guns" while in "Ambush Multiball". So crazy with all of the sentry guns firing and the red lights everywhere.

#15371 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes I don't get it. I'm in for a LE and paid just the $1,500 deposit. But I don't see why anyone would pay above that on their own?

I saw in one of these threads that some were contacted for final payment since shipping was imminent. Probably back when machines were said to be shipping in April/May.

1 week later
#15442 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Can we get a few more reviews of ALIEN pinball on here by those that have spent a good amount of time on it?
I'd like to see where it starts to fall in the top 100 list.

I'm not reviewing a prototype nor would I compare it to other machines at this point beyond saying shots or features remind me of them.

Edit: Might as well put this here: one annoying shot (or maybe better described as an unintended carom) is that from the left flipper I can shoot it up the right inlane and through the "Indiana Jones-style" Narrow Escape gate and have it drain. Should that wire gate be one-way?

#15454 6 years ago

Take my money now--THIS is the future!

#15486 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Ahhhhaahhaaa.. So this happened..
Happy Friday everyone!!

How did they cut the power, man, they're animals?!

#15510 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Nice to have a report finally.
An update every Friday would be nice.

Well I want my report hand delivered on Alien letterhead AND as a singing telegram.

#15564 6 years ago

The third screen near the alien head mechanism has a countdown timer for modes. I can never seem to look up and find the number being counted down while the ball is in play without draining soon after I locate the timer. There's just enough of a disconnect for me, ever the novice, to not be coordinated enough to use all three screens to their fullest intent. I'd prefer the timer be on the playfield screen. No idea what I'd do with the third screen in that case. Either that, or turn it into the TSPP upper mini playfield screen and just have the third screen with a giant number when in a mode.

#15585 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

I play it every night, Alien is definitely one of the top in my opinion.
The game immerses you into the world of Alien and the nonstop action keeps you coming back for more.
Build quality is in line with JJP
The two mini wizard modes are also very rewarding especially when the Beacon lights start up.
This game is awesome, hopefully soon, more will be in the homes of their buyers.

What's an average score for you?

1 week later
#15695 6 years ago

Nothing looks different to me.

#15722 6 years ago

Gotta have that artwork. Thanks for sharing the link.

#15827 6 years ago

Nice to see I'm not the only one who has trouble hitting the upper left "lock" ramp. I just can't find the target from that upper right flipper shot. Any idea at what pitch this machine was set?

1 week later
#16071 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Let's talk about gameplay. Any audits of average ball time that can be shared etc?

#16128 6 years ago

An obvious alternate account for a regular, since his only posts are stirring the pot in all of the currently hyped games. Just keep buzzing around whatever you're talking about without actually bee-ing upfront about it.

#16142 6 years ago

Audits from 1,000 plays by mostly inexperienced (at least with Alien, not necessarily their general pinball skill level) players isn't going to say anything conclusive. Ghostbusters was thought to be the hardest game OMG EVAR!!! in the first few months it was out. More experienced players get time on it in their own homes and the game starts to look much more approachable.

#16149 6 years ago

I'm going to play the game now and see if I can find it. I'll be sure to post my findings too!

edit: Control + F "Kaneda" finds only one person who referenced that name. Only one other person said something about a podcast. Amazing that this new Pinsider is the only one who mentioned the name. You must really be new here!

#16203 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

ACTUAL UPDATE:
I hope I'm not going to jinx anything by posting this....
Cointaker is expecting a shipment from Heighway to arive Sep 1. I only know this because I've been emailing both of them asking for any news on when I may receive the parts I need to update the software. Unfortunately, I do not know if this shipment will contain any new games - but it only makes sense that it will.
For existing owners, here's where it gets interesting. Apparently, its not just a few new parts. The early Alien machines that went out are getting completetly new playfields and new Zotac PC's. Cointaker is expected to receive about a dozen new playfields and replacement PC's in the Sep 1 shipment. My fingers (toes, legs and arms) are crossed in hopes that it happens.

Quoted from SunKing:

ACTUAL UPDATE:
I hope I'm not going to jinx anything by posting this....
Cointaker is expecting a shipment from Heighway to arive Sep 1. I only know this because I've been emailing both of them asking for any news on when I may receive the parts I need to update the software. Unfortunately, I do not know if this shipment will contain any new games - but it only makes sense that it will.
For existing owners, here's where it gets interesting. Apparently, its not just a few new parts. The early Alien machines that went out are getting completetly new playfields and new Zotac PC's. Cointaker is expected to receive about a dozen new playfields and replacement PC's in the Sep 1 shipment. My fingers (toes, legs and arms) are crossed in hopes that it happens.

I have received this information as well!

#16321 6 years ago

My machine sounds more like Hilton's than Buffalo's. A few stuck lights from time to time, but no game breaking errors or faults.

#16323 6 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Isn't it pretty typical for a prototype on location to have problems? Like from any manufacturer?

Yes, but it's also typical for people to freak about about anything that isn't "just so" from newer pinball companies.

#16420 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

As I know there was recent talk of the Upper Left Ramp being impossible to make, for your pleasure 3 shots in a row to that ramp without issue and Hypersleep Multiball
Enjoy!
» YouTube video

The upper left ramp isn't impossible, just something that takes more practice to hit regularly compared to the Weyland/Yutani ramps, for instance. Don't feed the hysteria with hyperbole.

1 week later
#16543 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

So I have a wireless keyboard/mouse for my Mame cab and it's invaluable! I'm used to Stern/BW buttons on the coin door, what are we gonna use a keyboard/mouse for on our Alien? Are there still service buttons on Alien?

You ask MUTHR what credits or settings you want to adjust and it's retrieved kinda like Cortana or Siri.

1 week later
#16677 6 years ago

Got that big Alien bombshell ready to drop on us yet?

1 week later
#16847 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

is the software in this still kind of hit or miss? We played this again at Mad rolling. And really didn't get anywhere. Even by ball 3, nothing really started or happened. Was really uneventful and didnt' feel like any value for $1. I liked it more when I played the prototypes at expo. But on route the way it started off, I would not put money in it again the way it currently is. Least DE would line you up for a multiball or something to make it feel like you got some value out of your play. We had some arch of inserts all lit in green. Hitting any of the icons that were lit, really didn't start anything. Game isn't that good at telling you what you are doing or where you are shooting. I'm sure hilton has the updated code in it.

Weyland ramp > Yutani ramp > shoot scoop...that's how you start a mode.

#16987 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person now...

He meant to post that on his alternate account, obviously. Imagine caring so much about pinball collectors' opinions that you have to sign up for alternate accounts to shill an opinion several times over.

#17001 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Or some could apologize for false accusations, truth distortion and sending moderators on a witch hunt. All while being smug about it.
Don't expect much, Greenhornet. I'm still waiting on mine.

Yeah, he's quite the victim. He's been such an asset to this thread otherwise. Why would anyone think he's here for anything other than good-natured, fact-based discussion of Alien pinball?

1 week later
#17084 6 years ago

Play with some ambient lighting on in the room. Problem solved...sheesh. I think the in-game lighting effects are good at creating a mood that might be diminished if you flood the playfield with lighting. Two spotlights? Sure. Hundreds of dollars worth of halogen-style light pollution? Foolish, but go ahead with your own game.

#17104 6 years ago

Probably meant "cool" in the sense that now people can quit postulating where the shipment is.

1 week later
#17348 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Delivery isn’t included in cost of the game? Pretty steep price to pay and then have 9 hours of travel on top of that.

He's doing the trip to get it sooner.

#17437 6 years ago

Radical. I'm really stoked to see others getting the game. Enjoy!

#17540 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah must be missing something - I will check. Thanks!

Blade lights plug in to a board front middle, just past the coin box. Kinda hard to reach on mine since a plastic cover is attached covering the area. It's two small plugs, I think.

#17763 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Maybe they are just hoping to flip the company to someone else - quickest way to ROI.

That would explain Bernie Sanders viewing the Alien pinball overseas.

#17969 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Off hand I remember seeing pics of others experiencing unlit side panels, unlit string of insert lights, freezing mini LCD screens. Who could these people have contacted at Heighway Pinball for live technical support?? HP is off radar, working in their secret lair. Fortunately, those with issues here, found common learning and have fixed their issues. What about buyers not on Pinside that must have had similar issues.? They don't have anywhere to turn to learn to check their fuses against recommended ratings.... because HP hasn't published schematics or an Operator Manual yet. AND because there is no live technical support from Heighway Pinball. If they have a small issue - they are SOL.
HP is a joke, and that is laughably sad. I'd bet a group of forth graders could run HP smoother than the current cast (of characters). The first week of being told go - they would have communication to customers established - via phone, eMail, web, twitter, Facebook etc. multiple ways to access tech support, support queue, hotline etc and with a published list of times available. Week two - they'd have permits, building licenses, legal documents, incorporation docs in place. Probable have a team - vetted and in place for handling engineering, HR, tech support, customer support. oh well, we have HP

Helmut is the Heighway technical support contact. A pricey boutique pinball with limited ASAP technical support would be an odd pinball machine to buy for someone incapable of minor troubleshooting, but I'm sure those few souls who have gone down that path appreciate your concern for them.

1 month later
#18857 6 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

What do you guys use to measure the pitch? I just use an app for my smartphone, but always wondered how accurate it is.

A digital level from Sears. My cell phone wasn't nearly as accurate.

3 weeks later
#19209 6 years ago

chicago.craigslist.org link

Who needs an Alien?! (Not mine)

although at that price mine is for sale too...

3 weeks later
#19627 6 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I don’t know,I wasn’t told anything otherwise

Strange, all I've seen is that the prototype machines can't be updated. Did you just download the 1.1 file on their site and go at it?

2 weeks later
#19817 6 years ago

Got off the phone with Helmut today. Really nice guy. Looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel for getting my prototype game up to date. Thanks again, Helmut!

#19819 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

As I mentioned in PM - I really hope they do come through for you. However, just because you spoke to someone at Heighway and they promised action, does not mean it will happen. I received many, many promises over the past year since TPF - promises to send parts, and at one point they promised both me and Melissa at Cointaker they would send an entire replacement playfield. That didn't happen, and as of today, I have received nothing from Heighway except broken promises.
Thankfully, I purchased my game from Cointaker as opposed to Heighway directly, and I believe we may have come to an agreement to resolve my issues.

Yes, as always, fingers crossed. I'm not expecting it tomorrow or by some deadline in my head. Nor will I be refreshing my email inbox every hour seeking more confirmation of what we discussed. It would be nice if the company operated on deadlines and formal communication that everyone here has requested, but what can you do? I'd rather have the current company than something that skipped town a year ago with no further recourse. Funny thing is, I woke up this morning to his email and I had not heard from anyone since before Christmas. I wasn't bugging them, but I knew they had my contact info and said they would be in touch when they had more details for resolving my situation. I went on with my life beyond pinball and today just happened to be when I was due for a status update.

3 months later
#21717 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, it's not, it's a statement of opinion from personal experience, and a warning for anybody thinking of shelling out $10K or whatever insane prices people are going to want for this thing.
It's certainly not an insult to anybody, except blind fanboys. The people who built this thing are almost UNIFIED in agreement with me, so how is it an insult? They did their best work but were screwed by inept management and purposeful industrial sabotage in the form of blatant corner-cutting and disregard for quality that came from the top. Haven't you read the recent interviews?
The designers are as much victims as the people who bought the game or had their money stolen, and I appreciate their candor and honesty (despite their ridiculous NDAs) in the last couple of weeks as they let us all in on the true story.

Why are you (and others who seem to have little or no ties to this title) still here? Your opinion (as well as the others with no skin in this title) has been logged; you (and those same others--not trying to single you out) seem to have nothing else to add beyond the same snarky one-liners.

#21751 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The post you quoted is at least 10 lines.
And it's a fair question, and I appreciate you not singling me out (unlike certain people).. But as long as certain people continue to go out of their way to personally insult me, I'll probably occaisionally chime in with a response. You would too.
Besides, I don't get the whole "why are you posting messages on a message board" thing. That's the whole point and the reason Pinside exists.
So I guess it's more of an existential question?

I have no idea. Which one is at Pockateers in Buffalo?

My question wasn't "why are you posting on a message board". It's why are you so actively participating in an Alien thread when you feel the game sucks? I see it's just to practice your wit. It could use some work.

1 week later
#22109 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Probably stepping on somebody's toes here but the LCD at least looks more straightforward than the tiny dark font Alien.
License is beyond dated though. And it's completely antithetical to the current zeitgeist in culture.

Zeitgeist is the southern hemisphere's version of Poltergeist.

#22186 5 years ago

Keep it simple for those not following all 444 pages of this thread--they went bankrupt. Any non-collector gets the basic idea and you can get back to watching the game in action.

#22226 5 years ago

There are some smart people who own or are familiar with Alien who thankfully enjoy helping other Alien owners. Just digging up where to source several of the parts such as servo motors or I/O boards is already a good start--who knows what they'll come up with to keep these going as time passes, but I could see this game running better than ever thanks to the ingenuity of the Alien collector community.

#22235 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

hey c'mon.. the gooch used to be a feared man!

The Gooch was revealed to be a girl. That was the "breakin' down the stereotypes" twist on that show.

2 weeks later
#22309 5 years ago

When would the beacon be used? In the movies, it wasn't everywhere to be found, so why would it be all over the place on the game? Also don't really see the need for a shaker beyond the guns being fired. Again, where would a shaker be used? Not for "Find Jonesy"! Maybe when you fail at landing the aircraft. I don't feel like movement of (or hunting) the Alien would need the shaker...compared to feeding T-Rex in Jurassic Park, for example.

#22313 5 years ago

Tron...Metallica you all are making me miss pins of my past...

20160204_172112 (resized).jpg20160204_172112 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#22605 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Still cant xeno to work right....I have taken off large head and loosed the 2 scews underneath that hold whit plastic in place. I am do not think there is any binding. In calibrate it works most of the the time. I sometimes get an extend error. WHen I do shot test it sometimes goes all the way in other times stops randomly some where. The switches are all working.
Ive tried looking at the little xeno board on the back and adjusting that little screw but is the tinies screw head I have seen and cant tell how much to turn or if It starts over if I keep turning.
Anyone that has resolved this? Could a new small xeno board help?

Isn't your machine one of the newest revisions? Recently NiB?

#22732 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

i’m away for a few days. which shot is chest buster?

Just beyond the upper right flipper there is a target under the upper right pop bumper. A chestburster insert is near the upper right flipper to indicate where it is.

2 months later
#23247 5 years ago

Sgt. Apone has passed away

2 weeks later
#23368 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

In single lamp test on your games does C-X6 Top PF. Lights do anything? Our games don’t seem to do anything..

I asked awhile back in one of the threads and Ferret said it was something that was coded for use in Full Throttle test mode, but for whatever reason wasn't removed in Alien's options--so it's fine as it is, basically.

6 months later
#24228 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Ok guys and gals just my personal opinion but in the last 2 days I spent 2 hours playing Batman 66 Premium and at least 2 hours playing Star Wars Premium at a buddies home...not trying to piss in anybodies Cheerios but man I don't get spending that kind of money for those games..yes I realize all pins are probably overpriced but unless something REALLY wows me I'm glad I haven't bought those Stern games...Come home to Alien or remember a lot of games I've had in the past and wow no way! One game on Alien and my mindset is back in line ha ha

I enjoyed Alien and would consider getting another in the future. The sound and immersion factor is as good as anything else out there. Now I enjoy my Star Wars Premium and at current prices it's about a $5k difference. Good call on having IJ on your wishlist because I think it pairs well with Alien, but I actually would put IJ ahead of it as far as game play goes. The only reason I let IJ go was because it's on location nearby.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,999 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Agent_Hero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=Agent_Hero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.