pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "insure".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1211 8 years ago

I played several games on FT at Pintastic, and spent some time with Romain Fontaine having him show me the "guts" of the game design. Top removal of the glass is very easy (saves a ton of space, as you guys know), then the side art panels are able to be lifted out of their channels - effortless. Then the playfield is ready to come out after 3 very simple electrical dis-connnects. The inside cabinet and under playfield engineering are clean and very impressive. While the FT racing theme is not my cup of tea, I completely agree with Oldpinguy - the machine plays fantastic. I am not a great player (I think my wife whipped my butt just about every game on FT but maybe one), but even I can appreciate that the flow and speed are terrific.

I am a huge Alien fan, like many of you, but have been reluctant to pre-order an LE after having watched those other train wrecks here on Pinside (I truly feel really bad for all those affected). But, after listening to Andrew's presentation, having Romain walk me through their design tech, and knowing that Aurich is working to insure we have terrific art - I am going to grab an LE slot this week. And, if any of Star Gazer's toys make it into this pin - well, talk about over the top!

2 weeks later
#1617 8 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

And another thing(s)
1.That screen is hand drawn 2.just look how convoluted the instructions are. Freaking awesome

image.jpg

Last time I watched Alien I noticed that's a grammatical mistake on that panel.

It says "INSURE" instead of "ENSURE"

Still a good movie

5 months later
#3742 8 years ago

Priority one
Insure return of organism for analysis.
All other considerations secondary.
Crew expendable

#4059 8 years ago

One of my favorite franchises!

Not sure if anyone pointed it out yet, but I think "insure" here should be "ensure":

alien_(resized).PNGalien_(resized).PNG

Edit: as anthony691 and TimeBandit pointed out, I'm wrong

#4060 8 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

One of my favorite franchises!
Not sure if anyone pointed it out yet, but I think "insure" here should be "ensure":

alien_(resized).PNG

Eh. "Insure" v. "ensure" is a minor point of debate among grammarians (a minority of whom will advise the use of "insure" in both instances).

To me personally, "insure" does connote Zurich, etc.

Not a big deal one way or the other.

#4084 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

Eh. "Insure" v. "ensure" is a minor point of debate among grammarians (a minority of whom will advise the use of "insure" in both instances).
To me personally, "insure" does connote Zurich, etc.
Not a big deal one way or the other.

The two words are homophones, which is probably why some people don't realize there is a difference between them. Insure has to do with obtaining insurance. Ensure basically means "to make certain".

It's like the difference between "buy" and "bye" or "break" and "brake".

#4092 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Isn't it as direct rip from the movie anyway? Not sure if the suggestion was there was an error in the art or an error in the film.
Either way, art's done, assemble the playfield and box up the swap kit.

Yup, just looked back on some screenshots and they use "insure". That doesn't necessarily mean it's grammatically correct today, but it's true to the original appearance in the movie, at least.

#4099 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The two words are homophones, which is probably why some people don't realize there is a difference between them. Insure has to do with obtaining insurance. Ensure basically means "to make certain".
It's like the difference between "buy" and "bye" or "break" and "brake".

Nah. NYT style guide, for example, advises the use of "insure" in both instances. Your understanding is the more dominant usage.

Edit: I checked and I was wrong. NYT switched over to recognizing "ensure" in 1999. Broader point remains valid.

7 months later
#7353 7 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Can someone post their email?

PRIORITY ONE:
INSURE RETURN OF ORGANISM
FOR ANALYSIS.
ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS SECONDARY.
CREW EXPENDABLE.

#7367 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know what it says onscreen in the movie but it should be "ensure."
But you know what they say...you ooze, you loose.

Special Order 937Special Order 937

It says "insure", but then again corporations of that size are notoriously risk averse, so maybe they meant it.

#7369 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know what it says onscreen in the movie but it should be "ensure."

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tq=insure&tu

7 months later
#12822 7 years ago

Agree the CPU thing is an annoyance but $150 in the scheme of things isn't the end of the world. The cabinet change is also annoying but not a deal breaker. I'm not going to sell my Full Throttle because of it. That said, how many Full Throttles are there? If there are 100, how many of those people are going to buy a kit...take those numbers and extrapolate what it would take to give people these items free of charge. That would insure 100% product loyalty.

6 months later
#17645 6 years ago

"insure return of organism for analysis"

err, ensure?

#17784 6 years ago

I’m worried for you, as you’re getting in deep. Is there a schematic included w the game? It sounds like things are getting worse, rather than better, in your troubleshooting efforts. I’m in agreement that you need one of their techs on the phone pronto, to insure your efforts are not damaging other stuff. Remember, they are 8 hours ahead of us on east coast.

Good luck, but I wouldn’t dig much deeper in there until you’re comfortable having proper information. Definitely keep Melissa in this loop.

9 months later
#22805 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone know if replacement plastic pieces can be found anywhere? I was examining my play field more carefully today and noticed a crack on the right plastic set that is near the edge of the right play field.. small.. but there.
Thanks

I would strongly suggest a " before and after" look at the plastics, to insure nothing broken and makes it to playfield during use. This acrylic is thick and extremely brittle...very similar to glass.
If it starts to crack, or you notice a piece missing try desperately to find the pieces...

8 months later
#24266 5 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Hello all
I feel the flippers weak a bit on my alien. I m thinking it could come from sag or lack of power.
Sometimes, during long play it could happen that one don’t move for a sec.
I’m thinking changing my power supply, this one is elligable (thanks mk6 for that) for the 12V version but it’s 80W. I wonder if it’s a bit too much or it could blow some fuse or else.
http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-1000
Does some of you change their PS? Do you have any advice for this. I don’t want to create new problems on trying to fix one. Thanks in advance

(2x) things :

a) Flipper/ coil VOLTAGE is not the issue, it's the existing switching PS to keep a constant 70v supply at proper current during MB action. This can be cured with existing P/S (70v, not the 12v one) w Kneissl recommended cap mod. An absolute must for all games.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/14#post-4579625

b) On to the 12v P/S (right in front of 70v one) - factory version is a mere 12.5a @12vdc. Considering CPU, all video screens, rgb lighting, EL invertor and a variety of components run from it, the low amperage can (and will) cause hard reboots w the CPU, and some odd video reaction as the supply sags. The HRPG-1000-12 that I recommended and installed in my game - http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-1000, has 80 amps available @ 12vdc. Granted, a bit of overkill, however, I also run full LED underglow strips, and a couple other things.

Have not had a single reset or video weirdness since installing, and the extra amperage will do no harm (in fact, ensuring no 12v sags). Given there is no (known) manual for this machine, had no way to know what it actually pulls on the 12v side, amperage wise. The machine doesn't even blink an eye now...suspect a 40a version would suffice, but this one put a permanent stop to the power needs, and easy to find. It will live a very long, untaxed life.

I've put similar horsepower in a few of my games that needed it, and ALL my machines get p/s boost at least 7.5a on the 12v and 5v side to insure stability w the mods (color DMD, light strips, toppers, etc.). These game ps's in general are just not made for all the power some of these mods suck out of them.

Learned my lesson, and highly encourage pursuing "a)" and "b)" above....

6 months later
#25612 4 years ago

Only occasional hiccup w tongue is it " floats "above the drive gear, and will occasionally drift down a bit. I'm drilling a small hole in the back of mine and using a tensioner to insure the teeth stay engaged, and detent remains in reliable fashion ( crucial to my strobe working correctly...)

3 years later
#29572 1 year ago

After years of sitting in storage, I finally got my OG HW Alien home. I need to order an I/O board and a playfield LCD for it to get it working again. While I'm at it, I figure I should order some spare parts. Can anyone recommend what I should get to insure that I can keep the game running even if PB goes out of business?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

9,799 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "insure".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tq=insure&tu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.