DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Airbrush".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4363 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Aurich, since we're getting a glimpse into "how the sausage is made", can you share some of the ways you've been able to proceed with the design without knowing all the assets you will get?

Hmm. I mean, I'm happy to talk about stuff, but I'm not entirely sure how to answer that question. It's kind of a fake it until you make it thing. I'm gonna just ramble for a bit, see if I'm helping answer your question.

I think I mentioned this at my talk during the Alien presentation at Expo, but it was an enormous challenge to find a high rez image of the classic egg. These are just old films, and we're not talking about hard drives full of beautiful high rez assets. You have to get creative. Luckily that one was acquired finally, it just took a while.

You get a modern film, like say Hobbit. They obviously had their own license challenges, but in the end JP really did a great job. I will freely admit that I'm pretty jealous of the assets he had access to. Tons of high rez images. (And whoever tried to give me credit for his work, I know you meant well, but that was all him, we barely talked.)

I hear that people want a big xenomorph. I gave you that the best I could, there are three right in front of you in the prime art spot on the game. I was delighted that right between the flippers Fox let me use an original HR Giger drawing, that's awesome. Super happy about that. Because Alien, as a film franchise, has never been about showing you the beast clearly. Quick cuts, strobe lights, dark lighting, shadows, they'll do anything to not just have one lurking over you with nice lighting.

There is no Smaug poster, where you have a giant dragon for the side of the cabinet. Notice all the Alien images people like Ted have posted in this thread are fan art? Nothing official from Fox. If I had more Giger art to work with I would have used it. They didn't give me anything else that I didn't already use.

Also, the assets were mostly pretty low rez, and gritty, often JPEGs. Fine for a website slideshow maybe, but useless for print.

I didn't have a folder called Awesome High Rez Xenomorph Poses to choose from.

I took risks where I could creating my own art and drawings. Early on they made it pretty clear that there was a limit to where I could push that. I'll try it again with the LE art.

Look, if I was unhappy with the playfield you probably wouldn't be seeing it. I'm not. A lot of people really like it, some don't, and you'll never please everyone. So I don't want to sound like I'm apologizing or whining or anything. But the reality is that I had to work creatively within some confining limits, and this is the approach that I took. If you were hoping for an update to Bally Space Invaders that just wasn't in the cards.

If I had the power to hand this project off to the ghost of HR Giger to airbrush? I'd do it in a heartbeat, I'm as much of a fan as all of you.

I think this game is going to look bad ass when we're done. There's more to come. There are more people than just me who are going to do killer work on this game to make it a great experience. And it's not going to be a generic game in any sense. It's going to be about the stories from the films. I can't answer the actor question now. But if you want to watch the movie put in the Blu-ray. We're going to make a game, that's fun to play, that's going to immerse you in the Alien world.

I want Ripley and Hudson as much as anyone, and we'll do our best to make that happen. But if the worst case goes down and we don't have them? I just want to say that we're prepared to still make the game great. There's really going to be a lot more to this than hearing a handful of your favorite film lines.

1 year later
#15625 6 years ago

Thank you, yes I thought it was an electromagnet, but its just a permanent magnet.

There were a few guys on here that put an aliens on route correct? Just wondering how the Xeno head wears over time, there is a fairly local airbrush guy, I was thinking of bringing it over to him before I install to give it some detail!

#15629 6 years ago

I think that Alien head is the perfect thing to do a great custom airbrush job on. Even some 3D stuff as the head doesn't get hit directly.

1 year later
#24409 4 years ago

@mavatnix: Do you know if the "head" and "mandible" , the black outer parts from the xeno, will fit in a newer Alien ?
Background: I bought a older complete xeno and would like to airbrush the blackparts a little and bring them in my Alien. Therefor would be great to know if it will fit ...

EDIT: Oh boy .. I am 51 but feeling very very old: I bought this Xeno from you

#24410 4 years ago

Yes, the black plastic parts didn't appear to change, that one I sold you can fit your game as far as I know! It was just the metal and parts inside the Xeno mech that changed design. You can airbrush it and swap it right into your game, there's a screw on each side to hold it on.

PS. The one I sold you is the one we tried modifying to fit the new motor!

6 months later
#25741 4 years ago

Actually,I airbrush many alien heads.
The next two with more details.

But actually I need time, knee operation

694DD98E-C9C6-412A-8070-38DFCCA63DB5 (resized).jpeg694DD98E-C9C6-412A-8070-38DFCCA63DB5 (resized).jpeg69E61571-288B-4C4C-96C4-827E5EAE1266 (resized).jpeg69E61571-288B-4C4C-96C4-827E5EAE1266 (resized).jpegC97DC8BA-5D2E-4817-AB8C-373D505C5068 (resized).jpegC97DC8BA-5D2E-4817-AB8C-373D505C5068 (resized).jpeg
#25743 4 years ago

@flipper-airbrush

Great work ! Looking forward to my Xenohead !
BTW: On the first picture you see that the head of the guy in the gunchair is cutted by the metallframe .. soon there comes a solution to see the whole head

Flipper-one
Congratulation on the pin. Please check the threads about Alien there you will find pictures how to connect the beacons!
And no .. there is no official manual but member PER made a very very good pdf-file about the pcb´s and how they work together !

You see .. a lot to read here on pinside in the Alien-Threads but this questions and many many more are answered.

2 months later
#25914 4 years ago

A reset in the post....recommend visiting:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

This was linked some time back, but looks like a great time to have it resurface for those that didn't live through the pain back then.

There were (are) brilliant innovators there that covered the game to a granular level, and goes over many of the challenges some are revisiting now (all mechs, CPU, I/O, Xeno, power supplies, etc.)

I'd be cautious on modifying the Xeno head too much beyond a bloody green airbrush, as it gets hit alot during gameplay ( there was a pinsider that airbrushed a few..looked great)

2 weeks later
#25992 4 years ago

It's done - after 7 month the Alien is back in action.

• Acryl laser Speaker Panels
Airbrush Xeno
• ALU-Flipperfingers and buttons
• Black colored screws everywhere outside of the cabinet
• Bronce bearings
• Cliffy's
• Coin controller
• Custom made decals (cabinet, ramps and fingers)
• Electropolished stainless steel parts
• Knocker Assy complete
• Mini-Beacons
• Modified and screwed magnet on the tongue (no more loss)
• Mylar protected areas on the playfield
• New cabinet wiring with better diameter
• Non-reflecting glass
• PET-G Plastics and PETG-Backplex
• Reinforced jaw servo
• Signed plastics by Dave Sanders
• STERN Clamps in the flipper assys
• Strobe lights
• Visaton BG20 Bass

DSCN7812 (resized).JPGDSCN7812 (resized).JPG

DSCN7813 (resized).JPGDSCN7813 (resized).JPG

DSCN7783 (resized).JPGDSCN7783 (resized).JPG

DSCN7784 (resized).JPGDSCN7784 (resized).JPG

DSCN7785 (resized).JPGDSCN7785 (resized).JPG

DSCN7786 (resized).JPGDSCN7786 (resized).JPG

DSCN7792 (resized).JPGDSCN7792 (resized).JPG

DSCN7794 (resized).JPGDSCN7794 (resized).JPG

DSCN7795 (resized).JPGDSCN7795 (resized).JPG

DSCN7796 (resized).JPGDSCN7796 (resized).JPG

DSCN7797 (resized).JPGDSCN7797 (resized).JPG

DSCN7798 (resized).JPGDSCN7798 (resized).JPG

DSCN7799 (resized).JPGDSCN7799 (resized).JPG

DSCN7800 (resized).JPGDSCN7800 (resized).JPG

DSCN7801 (resized).JPGDSCN7801 (resized).JPG

DSCN7802 (resized).JPGDSCN7802 (resized).JPG

DSCN7803 (resized).JPGDSCN7803 (resized).JPG

DSCN7804 (resized).JPGDSCN7804 (resized).JPG

DSCN7806 (resized).JPGDSCN7806 (resized).JPG

DSCN7807 (resized).JPGDSCN7807 (resized).JPG

DSCN7809 (resized).JPGDSCN7809 (resized).JPG

DSCN7810 (resized).JPGDSCN7810 (resized).JPG

DSCN7811 (resized).JPGDSCN7811 (resized).JPG

5 months later
#26960 3 years ago

Here's my 3D-Print version of the Airlock frame and some decals from Ebay.
First I have to polish the frame and do some airbrush with the matching colors in a light grey tone.

DSCN8110 (resized).JPGDSCN8110 (resized).JPG

DSCN8112 (resized).JPGDSCN8112 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#27196 3 years ago

Airbrush was done by our german artist Juve.
Slime teeth by me with clear silicone.

9 months later
#28659 2 years ago

I think you can repair the head.
As you said, cleaning and glueing together, sanding and new painting.... maybe some airbrush and that's it.

#28661 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I think you can repair the head.
As you said, cleaning and glueing together, sanding and new painting.... maybe some airbrush and that's it.

Yes I already repaired it. Heat as well was needed, I think the whole side piece would have surely snapped off if I tried to correct the distortion (in the vice) without about 150deg.C of heat. It is very stiff/non-malleable material. It's good now!. But, the crack line remains visible, although barely noticeable. I skipped the sanding and re-painting part due to just focusing on doing what I thought was needed for sorting ALL the problems with this head. And also skipped the dentistry

Done a bit of dabbling in airbrushing, so might as well give it a crack since I have a reasonable quality airbrush.

Btw, I was reluctant at first to drill a new pair of holes for the jaw pivot, to move it back. Could not go "a little bit" very easily, it was basically a full hole diameter + a millimeter as a minimum. I am very glad I did though, now. Same goes alongside that with moving the servo back and adding the "protector" link. This has the counterweight aspect also though (which also partly cures a rare ball hangup behind head lol). Gives the jaw maybe 10-15 degrees extra rotation which means it can park properly closed and still open all the way. AND resist blowing anything when the jaw inevitably gets hung up on the tongue (if (when) it stalls extended eg.). It did this trick at least once on the show weekend, and I didn't see it happen, but a ball search or something and it had corrected itself and continued operating how it should after that, by the time I got there. I'm okay with it being on our little location here now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Airbrush".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tq=Airbrush&tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.