zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,029 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 601.
#4551 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You shouldn't tell anyone you aren't monetarily compensated. This hobby sees it as a negative. Both Lloyd and I can attest to that Much like you I can "afford" to help out without having to charge for assistance and actually think its a positive to lend capabilities gratis to new companies. Some don't see it that way.

Sooo what your saying is JPoop was onto something...getting everyone who is willing (or not), to work for free

#4552 8 years ago

Anyone know if there's any chance we'll get to see Heighway Pinball (Alien or even Full Throttle) at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade show in June?

Jack was there last year representing Hobbit and WOZ, so just wondering...

#4555 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

No I imagine it is because hand drawn art tends to incorporate a lot of the artist's style that takes some leeway from the typical look of the license. The license holder already has art that the studio wants to represent to movie and it's assets. So I imagine it is much harder to get the okay for hand drawn custom art work for a movie license. Could be totally wrong but that would be my guess.

I agree with this, but "much harder" isn't the same as "doesn't allow". That is why I asked.

#4556 8 years ago

Guys, I'm not Roger Sharpe, or a film licensing expert, so I can't really explain anything beyond what I know. I have assets that I'm allowed to work with, and that's the extent of it beyond what I manage to make work. That's all I can really say, it's all I really know.

Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Anyone know if there's any chance we'll get to see Heighway Pinball (Alien or even Full Throttle) at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade show in June?

Not a clue, but there's always a chance! Andrew has certainly done other US shows.

#4557 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

I agree with this, but "much harder" isn't the same as "doesn't allow". That is why I asked.

The answer probably lies in the observation that every licensed game Stern has produced that is based on a non-animated film or TV show hasn't featured hand-drawn artwork. The Simpsons and Family Guy are obvious exceptions, as are band/artist themes.

In earlier decades the only way to do it was to hand draw/paint everything and, frankly, it led to better results for the most part. What I find intriguing with the way Aurich is approaching the Alien art is that he's doing something quite different — a true digitally-conceived art package that will have a style and atmosphere that couldn't be emulated with hand drawn art. It's one that is designed to go hand in hand with all the new tech Heighway has on offer.

What's more, Aurich's approach probably makes more sense for the theme than an arty comic-style fully hand illustrated art package.

It reminds me of the good old CG movie effects debate. Bad CG has given CG a bad rap and so many pine for the glory days of practical effects. Just like we pine for 90s hand drawn pinball art because Stern has given 'Photoshop art' bad rap. In the same way, we've got film experiences that would never have been possible with practical effects, and there's no reason why we can't be treated to the same kind of future with high quality digital pinball art packages.

#4558 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly most of that stuff is just done under the radar. I would be surprised if even a good % is actually licensed.

Mondo is 100% legit licensed. So we know the movie studios have some give when it comes to art.

My thoughts on the surround backglass for the 27" - can you come into the frame a bit so, say, the mouth is coming into the frame a tiny bit and the fingers overlap a bit at the bottom?

I'd like to see some clear and mirrored spots too! But I'm dreaming there.

#4559 8 years ago

Something while we wait.

I can now say I'm fully paid in on an Aliens pre-order, ...expected delivery date is February!

Aliens_cookie_jar_(resized).jpgAliens_cookie_jar_(resized).jpg

Cookie thieves mostly come out at night, mostly, so make sure your cookies are safe with this detailed ceramic cookie jar in the shape of a ferocious Alien Warrior from the sci-fi classic Aliens! Even if it doesn't instantly send thieves running from the room, no one will dare lift the jar's removable skullcap to get at the sweet, sweet cookies inside - there are way too many nasty things inside a xenomorph to take the risk! This approximately 18" tall cookie jar comes packaged in a full-color box.

Shipping Weight: 5.60 pounds
Pre-order

#4560 8 years ago

Oh snap, that's awesome looking. Details?

#4562 8 years ago

Noticed it at entertainmentearth. Lots to look at there.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitlist.asp?theme=Alien+%2F+Aliens

Also saw a new alien/aliens nicely detailed diecast line but the apc and ships are all supposed to be 6 inches long each. Might be a tad too large for a pin playfield mod, the drop ship and space jockey sure look cool and I think the drop ship includes a mini apc inside it. Hoping the next series in that metal diecast line has the nostromo and sulaco ships. ...I'm such a nerd.

#4563 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitlist.asp?theme=Alien+%2F+Aliens
Also saw a new alien/aliens nicely detailed diecast line but the apc and ships are all supposed to be 6 inches long each. Might be a tad too large for a pin playfield mod, the drop ship and space jockey sure look cool and I think the drop ship includes a mini apc inside it. Hoping the next series in that metal diecast line has the nostromo and sulaco ships. ...I'm such a nerd.

Cool website! I'm a big Punisher fan & found this! Punisher meets Pinball! lol

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC10755#.VqJK8I-cGCg

#4564 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Cool website! I'm a big Punisher fan & found this! Punisher meets Pinball! lol
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC10755#.VqJK8I-cGCg

Punisher MAX pin based around Garth Ennis run as well as Born? I never realized that was a dream theme until right now...

#4565 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

The license SPECIFICALLY doesn't allow for hand drawn art?

Look at TBL, it is almost all a hand drawn look, except the actors/characters. I'm sure a lot of that is the challenge of getting approval from the actors on the use of their likeness. You stick to the pre-approved images and that issue is greatly reduced. The reality is the studio is not making any money on a Pinball license, given their legal costs, cost of the staff to handle their reviews/approvals, talking to the actors for their approvals (well, so far that is not the case here, unless the Alien has some legal rights to his likeness), etc. therefore they are going to be restrictive in areas that would increase their costs.

#4566 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Noooo...why did you link that. Now I realize I need the Alien Titans Nostromo Mini-figure Collection!

#4567 8 years ago

I kinda want the cookie jar now...

#4568 8 years ago

I kinda want the Punisher figure...

#4569 8 years ago

Here's something for the weekend...

Mechanism testing for Alien Pinball - here we see an up/down post divert a ball at different speeds into the Chestburster magnet

#4570 8 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Mechanism testing for Alien Pinball - here we see an up/down post divert a ball at different speeds into the Chestburster magnet
» YouTube video

Thanks!

#4571 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Yes! And good prices too! This would make a pretty good Topper!

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC688356#.VqJ3APkrLcs

#4572 8 years ago

» YouTube video

That's a Strong Magnet! It's pulling that ball out of orbit, & stopping it on a dime! Impressive!

#4573 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

That's a Strong Magnetic! It's pulling that ball out of orbit, & stopping it on a dime like no bodies business! Impressive!

Don't put your VHS tapes on the glass!

#4574 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

No kidding! Or you cellphone!

#4575 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

That's a Strong Magnet! It's pulling that ball out of orbit, & stopping it on a dime! Impressive!

Pretty sure a post is popping up that diverts the ball to the magnet.

#4576 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Lol! Good eye! I missed the post popping up completely.

#4577 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

No kidding! Or you cellphone!

Magnets don't erase SSD data.

#4578 8 years ago

Cool effect for sure

#4579 8 years ago

Pinball is like comedy. Timing is everything.

#4580 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

No post on FT magnet and that think sucks the ball in real good. I've had or it shots that were weak and fell into where the magnet drops it to the subway and that magnet will suck it right back up!

#4581 8 years ago

The Full Throttle magnet is right in the middle of the orbit lane though because it only has to drop the ball straight downward from there. This magnet on Alien has to draw the ball out of the side of the orbit so it can drop down another lane beside it.

The original shot map didn't have this post so I guess they thought the magnet might be strong enough, but turned out not to be.

#4582 8 years ago

Yeah, my understanding is that magnet alone wasn't reliable enough to grab a fast moving ball, so the post was added to make sure it was consistent, no one wants a feature that doesn't always work. (Looking at you Metallica hammer magnet! )

#4583 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That advice is only relevant due to the era of man jewelry we see featured.

#4584 8 years ago

So Heighway is still testing game mech's at this late stage? Pin still seems to be a long way from being done. Originally the game was supposed to ship in April 2015, and it was that unrealistic release date that caused the original designer, Dennis Nordman, to leave.

Obviously this pin will be at least a year behind the original estimate. Man, I'm rooting for these new companies, but none of them can get their pins done anywhere close to their original estimates.

#4585 8 years ago

It's simple, Licensed pin =3 years

#4586 8 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

It's simple, Licensed pin =3 years

I think ur right for the most part, I'll wait 3 years for Aliens cause its Aliens but I don't know how anyone could do this without it being a dream theme. Its just bad for the manufacture as I see it, I paid in full for TH around a year ago or so and lost interest pretty fast due to the wait and due to the fact that I don't follow that franchise at all, he would have had my money if it was released on time. I'm hoping to have Aliens in the house by 2017, hopefully the wait will be worth it.

#4587 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

So Heighway is still testing game mech's at this late stage? Pin still seems to be a long way from being done. Originally the game was supposed to ship in April 2015, and it was that unrealistic release date that caused the original designer, Dennis Nordman, to leave.
Obviously this pin will be at least a year behind the original estimate. Man, I'm rooting for these new companies, but none of them can get their pins done anywhere close to their original estimates.

Mechs are often some of the last things to be tested on a game - but the development of one game can be different from another. The whitewood is there as a test bed - and it is being used as such.

As discussed earlier, we are pushing hard to show something at the Texas Pinball Festival in March.

5 printed and lacquered playfields will be ready within 2 weeks. We will show you pictures when they arrive.

There are some features to this game that we have kept tightly under wraps. We will reveal them closer to the release date and we hope you think they will have been worth the wait.

We will keep you posted.

#4588 8 years ago

Mechs are often some of the last things to be tested on a game - but the development of one game can be different from another. The whitewood is there as a test bed - and it is being used as such.
As discussed earlier, we are pushing hard to show something at the Texas Pinball Festival in March.
5 printed and lacquered playfields will be ready within 2 weeks. We will show you pictures when they arrive.
There are some features to this game that we have kept tightly under wraps. We will reveal them closer to the release date and we hope you think they will have been worth the wait.
We will keep you posted.

OMG... you're going have to beat me back with a bat all day at TPF if this pin is there
...not only that, you're going to sell out if it's there. have staff ready to take an unexpectedly large # of orders at the booth.

#4589 8 years ago

I'm hoping that means a game to play.

#4590 8 years ago

Heighway Pinball - Any chance you will be attending the Northwest Pinball and Arcade (Seattle /Tacoma) show in June?

#4591 8 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Heighway Pinball - Any chance you will be attending the Northwest Pinball and Arcade (Seattle /Tacoma) show in June?

We are still finalising our USA show plans for the year - but this show is possible.

We hope to announce our show schedule soon

#4592 8 years ago

I dunno what our show plans are either, but I'm definitely showing up to one of them that has Alien. I'll fly to Texas if we can get everything ready for it, and if not I'll fly to the next show, I'm as eager to see this game in person as any of you, I can promise you that!

If I had to choose I'd rather do the PNW show, only because I'd like to drop in on FAST while I'm up there, but I hear that TPF is really awesome.

#4595 8 years ago

Texas or bust!

#4596 8 years ago

We are still finalising our USA show plans for the year - but this show is possible.
We hope to announce our show schedule soon

Please don't rule out California Extreme a lot of pinball addicts & potential buyers will be pouring in for that show. If you needed help coordinated things to this event I'd be happy to help in any way I could.

#4597 8 years ago

Is Pinfest in Allentown a possibility this May?

#4598 8 years ago

Andrew as we have discussed we at Pintastic New England will welcome you with open arms! What ever you need my friend let me know if I can help in any way.

#4599 8 years ago

Just definitely post what show an Alien will be at, near which door, and how close to the nearest highway...that way I can load it up and get out of there quick!! LOL. Or I'll happily just bring my checkbook.

#4600 8 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Just definitely post what show an Alien will be at, near which door, and how close to the nearest highway...that way I can load it up and get out of there quick!! LOL. Or I'll happily just bring my checkbook.

TPF

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,999 (OBO)
There are 30,029 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.