pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 601.
#4301 8 years ago

I kinda like that wide bezel...it gives me the impression of framed artwork.

#4302 8 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

I kinda like that wide bezel...it gives me the impression of framed artwork.

2nd this. And it has ZERO impact on game visibility!

#4303 8 years ago

Aurich should have eaten more bananas!

funny-alien-banana_(resized).jpgfunny-alien-banana_(resized).jpg

#4304 8 years ago

Seems like this stuff should have been squared away before announcing the game. Waiting/continuing until after gives the licensor extra leverage on you in the negotiations and puts you at risk of failing to secure some important assets. Not to mention your creative team doesn't even know what they can/can't use, so late into the design.

#4305 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

That's the Pro Version. LE doesn't reference the characters anywhere on the cabinet or playfield and they are all absent in the software on all versions. Only reference is on the apron stickers.

twdLE_(resized).jpg

Here's the premium...makes 2/3...And the secondary market firmware has lots of callouts from the show and that download is mega-popular.

Just say'n....

Screen_Shot_2016-01-15_at_1.22.32_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-01-15_at_1.22.32_PM_(resized).png

#4306 8 years ago

#4307 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Aurich should have eaten more bananas!

Did we get the license for the banana at least?

#4308 8 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

Seems like this stuff should have been squared away before announcing the game. Waiting/continuing until after gives the licensor extra leverage on you in the negotiations and puts you at risk of failing to secure some important assets. Not to mention your creative team doesn't even know what they can/can't use, so late into the design.

This has zilch to do with Fox. Nada. There is no leverage. They don't control this part.

Here's the deal in a nutshell: the actors own their own likenesses. It's not in their movie contract. We can license the film, but we don't get them with it automatically. We have to ask them separately. That process is ongoing.

It's not something I can really talk about. Legal issues, not my place, etc.

The point is this is normal, don't panic, and what you're seeing is how the sausage is made. Of course it would be better to have this all in place before announcing the game. No argument. But it's the nature of the beast with a new pinball company that had to announce early to not get lost.

Just relax, watch the fascinating process of making a pinball unfold in excruciating slow motion before your very eyes, and we're gonna keep making a great game in the meantime.

I just got our simulator working on my local Ubuntu VM, heard game sound for the first time running with virtual switch hits, was pretty rad.

#4309 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just got our simulator working on my local Ubuntu VM, heard game sound for the first time running with virtual switch hits, was pretty rad.

Cool!

#4310 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the deal in a nutshell: the actors own their own likenesses. It's not in their movie contract. We can license the film, but we don't get them with it automatically. We have to ask them separately. That process is ongoing.

Aurich, one basic thing I don't understand. If you have license to a film but not the likenesses of it's actors, does that mean you can't use footage from the film that contains said actor without the actor's permission?

#4311 8 years ago

That's the film. They can do that....

#4312 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If that's so, then it would seem to me that they could also use their voices from the film as well.

#4313 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

My understanding is it's not that simple. You know more about this field than I do Ted, so by all means educate me, but I think to use their likeness in a game it would need to be in the film contract. Modern movies probably have all that stuff, but the older ones don't.

So it's a separate process. It's ongoing.

As I said, no one panic. We're doing the process. It sucks to wait, I get it. But your choices are to wait in silence, or for us to share in progress things. I think everyone prefers the share part.

But you have to understand you're seeing in progress work, the behind the scenes stuff that isn't complete. So yeah, you got a bare playfield, with no plastics or mechs. That's coming. We're still negotiating things, so you have to wait. Every game does this stuff, you just didn't see the 2 years it took to make Game of Thrones for instance until it was done.

#4314 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Which brings up an interesting caveat in the case of TBL where they couldn't use certain clips from the movie that had licensed original songs playing in the background. I guess in the case of Alien/s it's all original score so that SHOULDN'T be a problem . . .

Sorry, just thinking out lout here.

#4316 8 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

Which brings up an interesting caveat in the case of TBL where they couldn't use certain clips from the movie that had licensed original songs playing in the background.

None of that makes any sense to me by the way. They should be able to get the voice clips from the studio entirely isolated from the music. I don't want to get off topic too much, but that's pretty basic stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_(audio)

That has no bearing on our situation, don't even worry about it.

#4317 8 years ago

These are some really cool set photos from Alien.
The planet photo looks like they stole it off Aurichs playfield

http://geektyrant.com/news/253-photos-from-the-set-of-ridley-scotts-alien

--Jeff

#4318 8 years ago

Yeah, USUALLY it's in the contract that the likeness goes with the film. But, as you said, a contract can say anything. I'm pretty sure though that if they're showing clips....characters will be in them....

#4319 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I don't need the cast represented on the playfield but clips and callouts from the movie need to be used. Please make it so.

I agree, I want the call outs and clips but it won't be deal breaker for me if they are absent, what will be is if the call outs are custom and go the route of Stern with bad humour and bad pinball references, If the TWD hadn't had that adj that allowed one to attenuate the hillbilly it would have lasted a matter of weeks.

#4320 8 years ago

Hope you guys can pull it off. Aliens without Ripley is like Rocky without Stallone.

#4322 8 years ago

It would be a bummer if Stern gets Sigourney Weaver for Ghost Busters and can't be obtained for Alien. Way more crucial for this theme.

#4323 8 years ago

For what its worth, Funco was able to secure Sigourney Weavers likeness for their retro 7" line of toy figures packaging. Of the ones they negotiated with, Ian Holmes and John Hurt declined. So 2 out of 4! This of course is no indicator of anything for other products (like pinball) other than perhaps Weaver is generally OK with image licensing.

maxresdefault_(resized).jpgmaxresdefault_(resized).jpg

#4324 8 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

It would be a bummer if Stern gets Sigourney Weaver for Ghost Busters and can't be obtained for Alien.

Hey, what if Stern can't get her for that either?

Quoted from zeddex:

other than perhaps Weaver is generally OK with image licensing.

maxresdefault_(resized).jpg

Sure, pay them enough and they'll all agee

#4325 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey, what if Stern can't get her for that either?

Sure, pay them enough and they'll all agee

Not true at all - some actors, especially non active ones that are not in debt, do have personal philosophies against merchandising themselves. Many actors hate being in genre films and feel they are a career blemish, or a ton of other reasons. Some feign that for hardball negotiations too...but its a delicate case-by-case thing.

#4326 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That has no bearing on our situation, don't even worry about it.

Wasn't trying to muck up the thread, just kinda pointing out how messy these licensing issues can be. Who knows who signed on for what etc, etc.

#4327 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

For what its worth, Funco was able to secure Sigourney Weavers likeness for their retro 7" line of toy figures packaging. Of the ones they negotiated with, Ian Holmes and John Hurt declined. So 2 out of 4! This of course is no indicator of anything for other products (like pinball) other than perhaps Weaver is generally OK with image licensing.

I don't think that's particularly relevant.

What's far more relevant is that Weaver offered both her likeness, and voiced her character in Alien: Isolation. But Creative Assembly are a famous and lauded developer within the PC gaming industry, and were no doubt able to put together some very impressive demos which convinced her. In pinball the latter is rather more difficult, and Heighway are just a startup; furthermore Sega & CA have pretty deep pockets - they can probably afford to pay her market rate if she wants it, or a cut of revenue.

So she clearly is willing to offer her likeness and voice, for the right project and no doubt the right price too.

alien-isolation-dlc-637x360_(resized).jpgalien-isolation-dlc-637x360_(resized).jpg

#4328 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

Strange, since Ian Holm licensed his likeness for the recent Alien video game.

#4329 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Strange, since Ian Holm licensed his likeness for the recent Alien video game.

$$$ talks.

#4330 8 years ago

From what I believe sigourney weaver is a bug pinball/alien fan at heart, isn't it documented somewhere that BSD was originally planned to be Alien 3 and in an interview Sigourney expressed her love of pinball and disappointment the game didn't come together in the end? I also remember reading an interview about her involvement with the recent PlayStation/Xbox game Alien Isolation "Ripley" added downloadable content, in which she seemed enthusiastic enough, I'd be real surprised if they can't at least secure Sigourney and Bill Paxton, but this is a theme that really needs all the actors/characters involved both films had a great group of characters alien crew and aliens marines wasn't a bad character in the bunch something modern films seem to struggle acheiving, which is why these films and the characters are timeless classics and have to be in the pin! If not leave back door access so some of the pinside geniuses can work their TWD magic

#4331 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

So she clearly is willing to offer her likeness and voice, for the right project and no doubt the right price too.

I dunno, to me - thats precisely why the toys were relevant. I am not talking about the figures, but her face appearing on two separate figure packages made by an obscure toy company with zero clout or pull (and doubtful a high budget). Just saying thats a positive indicator, thats all.

#4332 8 years ago

But what walks?

#4333 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

personal philosophies against merchandising themselves.

Sure sure sure except we're talking aboot someone whom's got a goddamn action figure right above us.
And her, at least her charcters likeness, used on the super secret leaked long ago GB

#4334 8 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

These are some really cool set photos from Alien.
The planet photo looks like they stole it off Aurichs playfield
http://geektyrant.com/news/253-photos-from-the-set-of-ridley-scotts-alien
--Jeff

For some reason my favorite pic of the batch was this. Guess I was fascinated with the practical side of making Alien.

alien5_(resized).jpgalien5_(resized).jpg

#4335 8 years ago

Adding to what I posted above about her interest in Ripley as a character:

http://time.com/3453689/sigourney-weaver-alien-isolation/

Also worth noting Sigourney & Michael Biehn allowed their likeness to be used for promotional artwork for the pitch of Alien 5 and both where keen to return to the alien universe especially Sigourney to "finish" the story properly.

#4336 8 years ago

Hey, here's hoping! Don't get all gloom and doomy yet, you gotta let the process play out.

Either way, I can promise you no hillbillys, and no ball jokes. This game is going to be about the atmosphere and nothing will ruin that.

#4337 8 years ago

Aurich, I would just like to commend you on your attitude and professionalism over the past few days. It's really refreshing and keeping the discussion on track.

#4338 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This game is going to be about the atmosphere and nothing will ruin that.

Let's add in some 5.1 outputs then!

#4339 8 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Aurich, I would just like to commend you on your attitude and professionalism over the past few days. It's really refreshing and keeping the discussion on track.

I try! Some people make it easier than others.

Seems to me directly talking to your customer base in an honest way is the best approach. Obviously there are things I'm not at liberty to share, but there's more good news coming, and it's about making the game the best it can be, so just enjoy the ride for now.

#4340 8 years ago

Will the music scores from both movies be able to be used? The music is great in both flicks.

#4341 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Let's add in some 5.1 outputs then!

Not all that practical, but I do wonder if you could do one of those soundbars that kinda fake the surround sound.

#4342 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Will the music scores from both movies be able to be used? The music is great in both flicks.

That's in negotiations too, the score is owned by a different arm of Fox than the film.

I can tell you we're going to have original compositions that match the tone of the film, but are also more pinball appropriate, so more energy, not quite so slow and empty. More news on that stuff later.

#4343 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not all that practical, but I do wonder if you could do one of those soundbars that kinda fake the surround sound.

I feel that's something that someone's going to do sooner rather than later. I never played one, but I assume the old Gottlieb top of back box speaker location was better than sitting directly on or above a panel of glass at waist height on everything else.

#4344 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This has zilch to do with Fox. Nada. There is no leverage. They don't control this part.

I'm not just talking about Fox, but all relevant parties.

#4345 8 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

There are two issues here.
We wouldn't necessarily want various actors placed all over the playfield. Because we are representing both movies, we want the playfield art to sit "neutrally" between both movies. Obviously that isn't always possible - with "APC" for example. But I personally think that Aurich has struck a very good balance between both movies here. Aurich has stated that he couldn't use Ripley at the time he was doing the playfield art - that is also true.
Secondly, we will officially announce what the situation is regarding actors/callouts/music etc... closer to the release. The reason for this is that it is an ongoing process with our licensor and therefore it is not something that we can comment on at this point.
What I can tell you is that we want what you want. Whether we get all of it or some of it is the real issue, and one that we will clarify at a later date.

Ugh! Drama fest has completely tainted the love fest!

Any chance we can just scrap the whole Alien thing...Re-theme this awesome table to something unlicensed and let the Aurtist have free reign?

You did it with the Animal house deal to Full Throttle...

#4346 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Ugh! Drama fest has completely tainted the love fest!
Any chance we can just scrap the whole Alien thing...Re-theme this awesome table to something unlicensed and let the Aurtist have free reign?
You did it with the Animal house deal to Full Throttle...

Can we go back to Animal House? Would love that.

#4347 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Can we go back to Animal House? Would love that.

It did sound cool didn't it?

#4348 8 years ago

I absolutely promise you no one is going to mistake this for anything other than an Alien pin. There will be nothing generic about it.

I'm sure it's frustrating to only get tidbits and bits and pieces, but hang in there and we'll try and show more when we can.

#4349 8 years ago

I've never played the Avatar pin, is Weaver in that game in any fashion?

#4350 8 years ago

Aurich, since we're getting a glimpse into "how the sausage is made", can you share some of the ways you've been able to proceed with the design without knowing all the assets you will get?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.