• 24,631 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,837 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg
EE867F13-8192-4B1F-BA97-B9F3A5869811 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24631 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 493.
#4251 3 years ago

Aurich is an amazing artist, I have his shadow translite so I'm not knocking what he's done but, does anyone else see HAL from 2001 when they look at the top of the playfield?
I admit to not being an alien fan so it may have huge significance but what the hell is it? Can someone please explain?

#4252 3 years ago

Thanks Aurich for the reply glad weapons are there.

Will actors be in the clips/animations at all?

#4255 3 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Aurich is an amazing artist, I have his shadow translite so I'm not knocking what he's done but, does anyone else see HAL from 2001 when they look at the top of the playfield?
I admit to not being an alien fan so it may have huge significance but what the hell is it? Can someone please explain?

Aurich has explained it a few times. It is from one of the few original HR Giger paintings he was allowed to use and it will be almost entirely covered by ramps and mechs and toys so it's just for ambience. B/W games often simply used flat colour in these areas for this reason.

#4256 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Will actors be in the clips/animations at all?

He said he doesn't know yet.

#4257 3 years ago

I guess a question more impactful than the image of an actor in the game is whether there will be callouts from the movies. The sound package may be the most important aspect of this game.

There are great lines in both films, but especially Aliens. Will we be hearing classics like "game over man" and "get away from her you bitc$"? The voices are more important to me and would be fine with a DMD like animation. I also wonder how they will do the callouts. Might there be one voice type for Alien (quieter) and another for Aliens (more aggressive/ marine like)?

I do it believe that the sound package is a part of Aurich's domain but I think will come up as the next topic of interest now that the art has been revealed. We have seen how other games (TBL) have run into license issues with voice overs and the video that is onscreen. No matter what I am loooove the art and am psyched for the game.

#4258 3 years ago

Uh... No images of actors, no video of actors, no call outs from actors. That's going to be a deal breaker. Without the cast there's no movie, just an alien, random ships and weapons.

#4259 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Uh... No images of actors, no video of actors, no call outs from actors. That's going to be a deal breaker. Without the cast there's no movie, just an alien, random ships and weapons.

kind of like a Hillbilly, Random Zombies and Weapons.

#4260 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Has this been confirmed or is it just speculation?

#4262 3 years ago

Surely movie, audio/soundtrack clips must be allowed? Is that not the point of buying the licence??

#4263 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Surely movie, audio/soundtrack clips must be allowed? Is that not the point of buying the licence??

No kidding - kinda lame otherwise

#4264 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

There are two issues here.

We wouldn't necessarily want various actors placed all over the playfield. Because we are representing both movies, we want the playfield art to sit "neutrally" between both movies. Obviously that isn't always possible - with "APC" for example. But I personally think that Aurich has struck a very good balance between both movies here. Aurich has stated that he couldn't use Ripley at the time he was doing the playfield art - that is also true.

Secondly, we will officially announce what the situation is regarding actors/callouts/music etc... closer to the release. The reason for this is that it is an ongoing process with our licensor and therefore it is not something that we can comment on at this point.

What I can tell you is that we want what you want. Whether we get all of it or some of it is the real issue, and one that we will clarify at a later date.

#4265 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We wouldn't necessarily want various actors placed all over the playfield. Because we are representing both movies, we want the playfield art to sit "neutrally" between both movies. Obviously that isn't always possible - with "APC" for example. But I personally think that Aurich has struck a very good balance between both movies here. Aurich has stated that he couldn't use Ripley at the time he was doing the playfield art - that is also true.
Secondly, we will officially announce what the situation is regarding actors/callouts/music etc... closer to the release. The reason for this is that it is an ongoing process with our licensor and therefore it is not something that we can comment on at this point.
What I can tell you is that we want what you want. Whether we get all of it or some of it is the real issue, and one that we will clarify at a later date.

Well, I like the playfield. It may be too dark, but I'm a sucker for anything with grids and space(like the opening to The Black Hole)

Anyone into Mario Bava? Planet of the Vampires is the inspiration for Alien...and would have been a lot cheaper as a license, Mr Heighway

/Nicholas

#4266 3 years ago

Secondly, we will officially announce what the situation is regarding actors/callouts/music etc...

Andrew,

thanks for the quick response.

If I might make a suggestion.....if you're up against licensing only giving you some of the assets, there are two I feel you absolutely MUST have;

Sigourney Weaver and Bill Paxton.

Obviously Ripley is the main protagonist, having the most focus in both movies, and let's face it.....Hudson has all the most fun quotes from Aliens anyway!

Later,
EV

#4267 3 years ago

The playfield looks great without actors, it makes sense not to include actors all over the playfield... Keeping it neutral.

Although these comments make me wonder something as pinball moves from DMD to LED display, do both require the same licenses for displaying characters? Or is using a character on a DMD easier to arrange since you are not using that actor per se, but a likeness of the character; whereas with a LED display, the actor actor appears. Does anyone understand more about licensing in this area?

#4268 3 years ago

Andrew, an alien/s pin needs Ripley somewhere, she is a constant in both films, even if on the plastics. Surely the licencor understands this.

#4269 3 years ago

What I understand from licensing is that not all assets belong to the same licensor. It may very well be that the licensor of the Sigourney Weaver assets is not the same as the licensor of the Alien assets. Therefore the licensing is so difficult in many cases. It can even be that the licensor of the soundtrack is again another one than that of the movies.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I understand it.

#4270 3 years ago

If Sigourney Weaver does not want her likeness on a pinball machine or wants big $ for the right to put her likeness on a pinball machine, her likeness will not be on a pinball machine. What Andrew or Aurich or the pinball community or anyone else wants does not matter. I am confident that the aforementioned would want access to all assets, from the full video, to full audio. Heck, I'm sure they'd love to have Sigourney do custom callouts; however, it is what it is.

#4271 3 years ago

Actors on the playfield is not such a big deal for me.

But if they are not allowed to use call-outs or clips from the movie with actors on the lcd, that would be a bummer

#4272 3 years ago

I understand the situation with licensing and actors. I get why the decisions made have been made. Here's the deal, though. I'm not a preorderer, never will be, but this is the first theme in several years that i'm considering. It was introduced and is being advertised as a game based on Alien and Aliens. If you guy's can't represent the major characters from the movies in a big way, then you've effectively just used the license to dupe people into buying a generic space thriller theme pin.

Some people might be cool with that and I say more power to them, but I am not. It's the same reason I hate the new transformers movies. Whole different story and none of the characters are the correct types of vehicles. They pretty much just used the Transformer's tag to get asses in seats.

Anyway, my post is not a knock on Aurich's art, the playfield layout, or the choices Heighway has made with the restrictions of the license. I'm just saying that i'd be interested in an Alien/Aliens pin that strongly represents the cast, not the Franchise tag.

#4273 3 years ago

Someone can make some sling "mods" with her and the cat...

#4274 3 years ago

I don't think i have all well understood but if you have the possibility to represent actors, i think you ought to do, this is the soul of this saga, Ripley, Bichop or else one. or if you can't coz of Fox, does you have bought the licence to represent only an alien?
Does Fox think that 3 or 4 aliens on the playfield and that's it, we get a pinball machine on alien theme? more than half the playfield is space outer, upper pf is quite not visible, so this is not Alien.imo. i suppose back glass, cabinet art and display will be the same...unfortunatly

#4275 3 years ago

I'm not upset about the art as much as some are, I think it will look good once populated and then we can see what the vision was when it was created. However, the possibility of no actor callouts and not no video clips of the actors on the display, is a huge disappointment for me. I'm actually rethinking the large display option now. Suddenly it doesn't sound as appealing. This has to be once of the best films ever for callouts possibilities, it would be a shame not to use them.

#4276 3 years ago

Callouts would be missed, not sure they were ever going the "hobbit" route with movie clips though...seems like they could get the "Alien" to sign off or some facehuggers if not the actors

#4277 3 years ago

I like the playfield art (much better than Skittles vomit ). I am a fan of the SPACE theme, but not so attached to the Alien movies.

My only issue - what's up with the huge bezel/picture frame on Heighway machines? Just looks so odd to my eyes - kind of reminds me of old smartphone designs compared to latest gen with much reduced bezels. Feels visually klunky. Maybe painted black would minimize the effect?

hqdefault_(resized).jpg

I am guessing its necessary to support playfield/side art swaps, but I wonder how common/frequently the "swap" use model will be employed in the field. Maybe for operators, but would many Joe Users keep a 2nd playfield tucked away, to swap and play. Seems too much effort, compared to the more common model of multiple cabinets - simply walk-up and play the next machine.

I may be wrong, but seems like this form factor functionality is "imposed" (too strong a word) on all owners, for the sake of a fraction of owners.

#4278 3 years ago

damn

#4279 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Uh... No images of actors, no video of actors, no call outs from actors. That's going to be a deal breaker.

Even if that ends up being the case then its not that bad of thing as I would prefer Alien is treated like a survival pin (TWD) where I am in the position of being a crew member or a marine and in my own battle, clips are important sure but I don't really need to see any of the actors, its going to be interesting to see how this all comes together. You know in the video game world this happens a lot and it might be cool to implement this style more into pinball, use the alien theme but make your own story, create something OG and still have the power of the liscense at the same time, even Blade Runner which I'm hoping is made some day but would it be so bad to have a new story, your a Blade Runner in that world with new replicants to hunt etc. Thats a lot more freedom for the designer and everyone invovled. Just a thought.

#4280 3 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

My only issue - what's up with the huge bezel/picture frame on Heighway machines? Just looks so odd to my eyes - kind of reminds me of old smartphone designs compared to latest gen with much reduced bezels. Feels visually klunky.

I was thinking the same...you're thinking the main cabinet bezel, above the playfield, right?

#4281 3 years ago

I think Alien is one of those themes that is more about the universe than specific actors. Sigourney Weaver is a big part of that universe but tough to focus on only one character with so many others. I would just like to see a collection of sound bites from the movies. Seems like if you had the movie rights you could use anything from the movie but what do I know? I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if you can incorporate the Alien hiss sounds, motion sensor sounds, weapon sounds, screams, and such from the movies. I do want to hear the "game over" Paxton rant on ball drain, though. Maybe find a guy that sounds just like Paxton?

#4282 3 years ago

Has Heighway announced any kind of game to market timeframe?

#4283 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Sigourney Weaver is a big part of that universe but tough to focus on only one character with so many others

Well, Ripley is THE FOCUS on all of the Alien movies.

Bishop, Paxton and a few others from both films have to be incorporated into the game or its not Alien/Aliens.

I don't expect custom callouts, who cares, we have pinball browser now and that's why Andrew needs to leave the ability to make changes open like Stern does.

Andrew said he wants what we want, I'm just wondering why this is still even an issue when production was supposed to begin in April of 2015?

And the play field is done without having final access to all of the assets, clips and characters?

#4284 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Weapons will play a part in the rules, we have the pulse rifle, smart gun, flamethrower, Hicks' shotgun, and Vasquez's pistol. You collect them with the standup targets. Each will have an animation, so don't worry, they're represented.

Great. Not sure if others feel the same, but this is one of the small but important things that I was really hoping would make it into the game.

#4285 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Even if that ends up being the case then its not that bad of thing as I would prefer Alien is treated like a survival pin (TWD) where I am in the position of being a crew member or a marine and in my own battle, clips are important sure but I don't really need to see any of the actors, its going to be interesting to see how this all comes together. You know in the video game world this happens a lot and it might cool to implement this style more into pinball, use the alien theme but make your own story, create something OG and still have the power of the liscense at the same time, even Blade Runner which I'm hoping is made some day but would it be so bad to have a new story, your a Blade Runner in that world with new replicants to hunt etc. Thats a lot more freedom for the designer and everyone invovled. Just a thought.

Sure, this could work but you don't want to base an original story on the movies. Call it something else like Alien: Colonial Marine or something to differentiate it from the movies.

Many people have been waiting for the movies themselves to be represented as a pinball machine and if you waste the movie license on an original story, it might create an animosity from the customers kind of what TWD did.

My opinion is if you can't get access to all of the necessary assets of a license then don't do it. There are so many other licenses to choose from that surely one would give you the assets you desire. If they don't, do an original theme. Pay the money you would use on a license on a great artist instead.

I don't need the cast represented on the playfield but clips and callouts from the movie need to be used. Please make it so.

#4286 3 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Great. Not sure if others feel the same, but this is one of the small but important things that I was really hoping would make it into the game.

Yeah, if you have the iconic pulse rifle sound

#4287 3 years ago

I think it can work without having the actor's rights in the game. Look at TWD LE as an example. When you look at that game there is no indication of Rick, Daryl, or any of the characters but yet it works. In Alien "You" are Ripley and are playing through stories/scenarios from the movies.

#4288 3 years ago

If this stuff isn't locked down yet, I'm adjusting my expectations to the LCD and sound implementation not being built around movie clips like the Hobbit, as I think that would need to be known early in the design process before you could move forward with storylines, scripting, etc.. As someone else mentioned, the result may be a more generic space game set in the Alien(s) universe (similar to TWD).

If that is the case, they may lose some of the most ardent fans of the movie but the game could still be excellent. With Aurich and Andrew being such huge Alien(s) fans, I expect they'll do the best they can with what they have.

Aurich or Andrew, please correct me if my speculations are way off base here.

Edit:

Quoted from Aurich:

We're not making a generic game.
And of course we have movie clips. Right now the issue is simply that rights are in negotiations, and so until that's over we can't show anything, promise anything etc that has actor likenesses. They own their own rights here, not Fox. We're working on it.

Thanks for the clarification.

#4289 3 years ago

Like others have stated, I like the art but think it needs to be seen as a whole with all the other playfield features before it will come together...BUT, if there are no movie clips or callouts I am not a buyer

#4290 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Look at TWD LE as an example. When you look at that game there is no indication of Rick, Daryl, or any of the characters but yet it works.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-15_at_11.49.30_AM_(resized).png

#4291 3 years ago

And Rick, Daryl and Mischon on all over the apron.

#4292 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

BUT, if there are no movie clips or callouts I am not a buyer

Substitute callouts I can live with, sure, no movie clips is a deal breaker for me too.

#4293 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Andrew, an alien/s pin needs Ripley somewhere, she is a constant in both films, even if on the plastics. Surely the licencor understands this.

It's not the licensor. Of course Fox gets that. And of course we get that. Nothing is done yet, and that's why we haven't commented on it.

But with people asking about Ripley I couldn't just ignore the question, so the honest answer is we're still in legal land. No one panic!

We're not making a generic game.

And of course we have movie clips. Right now the issue is simply that rights are in negotiations, and so until that's over we can't show anything, promise anything etc that has actor likenesses. They own their own rights here, not Fox. We're working on it.

#4294 3 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Andrew,
thanks for the quick response.
If I might make a suggestion.....if you're up against licensing only giving you some of the assets, there are two I feel you absolutely MUST have;
Sigourney Weaver and Bill Paxton.
Obviously Ripley is the main protagonist, having the most focus in both movies, and let's face it.....Hudson has all the most fun quotes from Aliens anyway!
Later,
EV

The two obvious ones Andrew would want and the most hardest, not sure this is a suggestion but happy friday!

#4295 3 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

but would many Joe Users keep a 2nd playfield tucked away, to swap and play. Seems too much effort, compared to the more common model of multiple cabinets - simply walk-up and play the next machine.

your assumption is that everyone has room for a big collection or multiple machines, what if you only have room for one or two games? Then this model works great, especially since you can keep a second under neath and swap it in. Now, Not sure I see a home user swapping the side art or backglass art when they do that, like an operator would. Also allows selling/trading/loaning a game easier, since a much smaller item to ship. Plus, you can always buy cabinets for each machine your buy.

The P3 is taking this same approach, but with a smaller playfield to swap, in both cases future games are less expensive when you don't need another cabinet, computer, audio system, etc.

I do agree about the bevel, really, really looks off to me. It would be nice if there was an alternative version that just had generic side art of some kind, so it could have a more traditional look on top. I think the P3 is using magnetic art to slap on the side, so it does not have the same challenge with the bevel. As i said, hard to see a home user, who is swapping the playfield frequently, also swapping the side art, but I guess only time will tell.

#4296 3 years ago

I may even be able to get over the actor video clips, but must have some of these callouts, they are just too good and I just can't see voice actors filling in for these. At the very least Ripley and Hudson (Hicks would be great) are absolute musts haves. Hopefully if they can't be added in production, then they can be added later. These quotes would really add to the fun factor immensely.

“We’re on an express elevator to hell, going down!”

“Get away from her, you bitch.”

“I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

“MARINES. We are LEAVING.”

“That’s inside the room.”

“Oh, great. Wonderful. SHIT!”

"Game over man game over!"

"Eat This!"

"Think of what? We're f**ked!"

EDIT - Another good one from Vasquez "Lets Rock!!" At the start of a multiball.

#4297 3 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

All these complaints will be lost in time...like tears in the rain.

somebody's been listening to bif naked again

#4298 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Screen_Shot_2016-01-15_at_11.49.30_AM_(resized).png

That's the Pro Version. LE doesn't reference the characters anywhere on the cabinet or playfield and they are all absent in the software on all versions. Only reference is on the apron stickers.

twdLE_(resized).jpg

#4299 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

your assumption is that everyone has room for a big collection or multiple machines, what if you only have room for one or two games? Then this model works great, especially since you can keep a second under neath and swap it in.

Umm, this is exactly me. Only room for 2, maybe three machines max. But I still don't see myself buying into this swap model.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 24631 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside