pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 601.
#4201 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also can someone explain how that reverse ramp works, or at least give an example of one? Does it have a VUK? I don't see a hole cut out in the playfield, so I'm guessing it works something like the elevator & return ramps on Who Dunnit? Just curious.

To a similar extent...

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2493&picno=33375

#4202 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No VUK, it's all ball momentum. It's a short metal ramp that double back on itself, sort of C shaped, so you shoot the ball, it rides up and over back towards you, and drops into the wireform return. Hence reverse ramp, since it switches direction.

It's the monkey "ramp" from POTC pretty much I'd guess.

#4203 8 years ago

I think it looks great. I'd love to own an Alien based on what I've seen...

... but I've got money down already on The Hobbit AND Lebowski. And I don't want to prepay any more until one or both of those pins arrive. I wonder how many people are in a similar situation as me, not just with TH and TBL, but also awaiting MMR or Rob Zombie (or less risky, GoT and SMVE). Add to it possibly the people who got burned by John Popadiuk as well as Predator have got to have minimal stomach for prepay risk, even with a company that has already gotten one pin into production, like Heighway.

I guess my point is that I hope Heighway does not see possible sluggish prepay sales as indicative of the opinion of the work released so far, which I think is terrific. Rather, I think they should realize they're fighting a bit of an uphill battle with a marketplace that is probably saturated with prepays right now.

In any event, hopefully TH and TBL get released SOON so I can seriously consider getting on board with Alien.

#4204 8 years ago

Thanks for explaining. It's cool they used that ramp for a Dropship shot then, kind of like its lifting up & taking off

#4205 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's the monkey "ramp" from POTC pretty much I'd guess.

I don't know POTC that well, played it but don't remember the ramp. Looking at pictures that looks right though.

#4206 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No VUK, it's all ball momentum. It's a short metal ramp that double back on itself, sort of C shaped, so you shoot the ball, it rides up and over back towards you, and drops into the wireform return. Hence reverse ramp, since it switches direction.

Just like the Jack the Monkey shot on PoTC, right?

#4207 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I wonder how many people are in a similar situation as me, not just with TH and TBL, but also awaiting MMR or Rob Zombie (or less risky, GoT and SMVE). Add to it possibly the people who got burned by John Popadiuk as well as Predator have got to have minimal stomach for prepay risk, even with a company that has already gotten one pin into production, like Heighway.

With so many upcoming high priced options in the pipeline, I think something has to give. For those of us without deep pockets, either sell some machines, or get a refund on a previous preorder.

In my case, I pulled my paid-in-full Hobbit preorder money back in May & sat on it for awhile. I followed Heighway closely since the Alien announcement. I finally decided to pull the trigger on an Alien LE this week Mainly due to the fact I believe in what Andrew & Heighway Pinball are doing, appreciate their open line of communication & they earned my trust, which was the exact opposite feeling I had with JJP .

Alien is a dream theme for me & I have no doubt that it's going to be something really special when it's released.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't find a full refundable $1500 initial deposit to be high risk either. Hardly a high-cost preorder scenario like some other companies. Just another reason I like what Heighway is doing.

#4208 8 years ago

Aurich, any way you could show us the plastics with your bad ass playfield? I think it would quiet the popcorn crowd and throw us all another bone.

#4209 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Aurich, any way you could show us the plastics with your bad ass playfield? I think it would quiet the popcorn crowd and throw us all another bone.

Not at this time, or I would have already.

#4210 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Ok, ok....I'm just playin' around here....

full-playfield_T2a_72_(resized).jpgfull-playfield_T1_72_(resized).jpg

Both of those are great starts. That first one really jumps out and grabs u by the balls...

#4211 8 years ago

Uninspiring_(resized).pngUninspiring_(resized).png

#4212 8 years ago

Maybe some people haven't looked at a high rez pic? 4 large Aliens as well as some lurking...this may be a matter of the brightness/contrast/resolution of the files that are shown on the interweb. I'll bet a full size playfield with the art will show all of this much more clearly...who knows?

http://imgur.com/mlo6f3u

#4213 8 years ago

Yeah, maybe don't look at a thumbnail on a shitty old LCD monitor? I count no fewer than 10 aliens, excluding the eggs.

#4214 8 years ago

It's a design choice for sure. I think you can go subtle or way over the top. I think if you saw a bunch of aliens on there running around or riding on top of inserts you'd be way more WTF. Plus again, have no idea what the plastics hold.

#4215 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also can someone explain how that reverse ramp works, or at least give an example of one? Does it have a VUK? I don't see a hole cut out in the playfield, so I'm guessing it works something like the elevator & return ramps on Who Dunnit? Just curious.

PotC Jack the monkey ramp. You have to hit it hard, it goes straight up (not straight up but a tight turn) and back at you. Very cool shot.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#4216 8 years ago

My bad....I missed all those blue clip art Aliens pasted on a black nondescript background.

#4218 8 years ago

It's hard to imagine it full size...but I think the Aliens will be huge and noticeable if the art is bright enough...these are widebodies as well for what that's worth. Let's see if they get it together by March so people can see it "in person"...betting it will look great. I haven't bought anything Alien BTW but plan on getting the swap kit unless somehow gameplay is horrible which seems unlikely given how fast/flowing/fun Full Throttle turned out.

Some people might not like a nuanced art package as opposed to super defined, super bright clip art from a TV show with beveled edge inserts and big actor face slings....you don't want too have to look to close while you are playing after all.

#4219 8 years ago
Quoted from nipenzo:

My bad....I missed all those blue clip art Aliens pasted on a black nondescript background.

You probably shouldn't buy one...might as well drain the thread.

#4220 8 years ago

Looks fantastic, Brorich! Can't wait to see one populated

#4221 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

You probably shouldn't buy one...might as well drain the thread.

Let me guess. You're a fanboy already on the pre-order list and anyone who disagrees with your opinion is wrong.

I'd like to see more contrast with the Aliens....IMHO

Maybe Aurich was going for a more subtle design...

#4222 8 years ago

Aurich, I enjoyed listening to the interview on Coast2Coast. I think what you have done here looks great. I do hope that the gameplay is better than Full Throttle and from what I've seen so far, I think it will be.

#4223 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I wonder how many people are in a similar situation as me, not just with TH and TBL, but also awaiting MMR or Rob Zombie (or less risky, GoT and SMVE). Add to it possibly the people who got burned by John Popadiuk as well as Predator have got to have minimal stomach for prepay risk, even with a company that has already gotten one pin into production, like Heighway.
I guess my point is that I hope Heighway does not see possible sluggish prepay sales as indicative of the opinion of the work released so far, which I think is terrific. Rather, I think they should realize they're fighting a bit of an uphill battle with a marketplace that is probably saturated with prepays right now.
In any event, hopefully TH and TBL get released SOON so I can seriously consider getting on board with Alien.

I'm waiting for TBL, too. I used to be a bit more "impulse buy" with new pins, although they were all Sterns....but with the price hikes and delays, I really have no reason to pre-order any new game unless the theme speaks to me in an unbelievable way like Lebowski. I like the Alien theme...but don't have any kind of intense feelings about it one way or the other. I'd have to play it first to consider buying it. I'll play Aurich's when he gets it

#4224 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm waiting for TBL, too. I used to be a bit more "impulse buy" with new pins, although they were all Sterns....but with the price hikes and delays, I really have no reason to pre-order any new game unless the theme speaks to me in an unbelievable way like Lebowski. I like the Alien theme...but don't have any kind of intense feelings about it one way or the other. I'd have to play it first to consider buying it

Agree, lots of good pins to come. Alien looks good, but still much left to be seen.

#4225 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Anyone else find this disturbing? This was compiled from this one page alone, imagine if someone compiled every single one from this thread and all other threads...It would be enough to compose a multi page thread itself.

5 ignored comments, not disturbed at all, ignorance is bliss and all that. "Ignore" - love that feature, Robin. lol.

#4226 8 years ago

Nothing wrong with waiting to see a game, or play it for that matter, before ordering.

I love the pre-order enthusiasm, don't get me wrong, but I'm happy to sell people on a finished product instead of just an idea too.

#4227 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Both of those are great starts. That first one really jumps out and grabs u by the balls...

Yes, I know there is subtle and "grab by the balls" ...I like both types....i just wanted to see what it would look like.

#4228 8 years ago
Quoted from nipenzo:

You're a fanboy already on the pre-order list

read, if you can, my above post. I haven't ordered anything Alien.

Updating my ignore list

#4229 8 years ago

[Insert spit take here]

#4230 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Insert spit take here

I edited that post(I was being a dick), and put on ignore...trying to have a more positive 2016..also trying to eat healthier

#4231 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I edited that, and put on ignore...trying to have a more positive 2016..also trying to eat healthier

Since that's the case, I edited it out as well....

#4232 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

read, if you can, my above post. I haven't ordered anything Alien.
Updating my ignore list

butthurt_(resized).jpgbutthurt_(resized).jpg

#4233 8 years ago

I remember the first time, I've seen a stripped playfield and I was like: wtf?!

Without being populated you can't really judge. FH, BoP, MB, NGG all look like crap in the upper half. Even CV looks unrecognizable and not anything like the colorful beauty it is, when you turn on the machine. I'm not even talking about RGB LEDs on Alien for inserts and GI (?) that can't be seen yet. Even a top down view is unrealistic...

I know, I just said, you're not meant to judge before it's populated, yet that's one of the most beautiful playfields I've ever seen.

Well, I actually wanted to say: Congrats, nice job!

#4234 8 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

I remember the first time, I've seen a stripped playfield and I was like: wtf?!
Without being populated you can't really judge. FH, BoP, MB, NGG all look like crap in the upper half. Even CV looks unrecognizable and not as a colorful beauty as it is, when you turn on the machine. I'm not even talking about rgb LEDs for inserts and GI (?) that can't be seen. Even a top down view is unrealistic...
I know, I just said, You're not meant to judge before a it's populated, yet that's one of the most beautiful playfields I've ever seen.
Well, I actually wanted to say: Congrats, nice job!
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

Great example. The playfield art is maybe half of what makes the machine visually appealing. So much left to see. . .

#4235 8 years ago

Wow that CV playfield really is like someone vomitted skittles. I really like it though - like the game too although it is a little too easy but great fun.

#4236 8 years ago

I generally like the playfield art however I would have preferred the centre to depict the insides of the spaceships/hadleys hope instead of planets. I also couldnt see any weapons from aliens, the pulse rifle is a sci fi weapon icon.

I also think Ellen ripley should be on there somewhere, as well as the respective crew of nostromo/sulaco. When I watch these films I care about the humans not the xenophobe.

Love the bottom third, love the icon work, planets not so much. I actually like the comic alien.

I hope Aurich wasn't scared to put humans on the playfield so to avoid the photoshop actors comments.

With the plastics etc it should look pretty good.

#4237 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I hope Aurich wasn't scared to put humans on the playfield so to avoid the photoshop actors comments.

Have a listen to the Coast 2 Coast podcast episode. No likenesses were supplied and the license doesn't include them. I'd bet that no weapon art was supplied either.

#4238 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I hope he was, I love that its simple and some themes really lend themselves to that style, this is one of them, I liked ST for that reason as well, gameplay/sound/lighting are what really matters so if they are on point then who cares about the art, we all know many games that have shit artwork but as long as its over shadowed by the gameplay then that can be over looked, the opposite doesn't work, Space Invaders is a prime example of that.

#4239 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

shit artwork but as long as its over shadowed by the gameplay then that can be over looked

RBION?

#4240 8 years ago

I listened to the C2C podcast last night. Thanks Aurich for voicing your opinions on the Spider-Man VE. I agreed with most everything you said. It was also great hearing your reasoning behind the Alien playfield. I think in my mind I had it pictured more terrestrial or industrial but you're take is very interesting and hasn't swayed my interest away from this machine.

#4241 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I generally like the playfield art however I would have preferred the centre to depict the insides of the spaceships/hadleys hope instead of planets. I also couldnt see any weapons from aliens, the pulse rifle is a sci fi weapon icon.
I also think Ellen ripley should be on there somewhere, as well as the respective crew of nostromo/sulaco. When I watch these films I care about the humans not the xenophobe.
Love the bottom third, love the icon work, planets not so much. I actually like the comic alien.

I wholeheartedly agree with hoping Ripley's represented in a major way somehow. How can this be based on Alien and Aliens and not include the protagonist?!

#4242 8 years ago

Wow no licence coverage for actors will that allow clips from the movie with actors in it to be displayed?

#4243 8 years ago

I think having the LCD in the middle of the playfield makes the artwork focus different than on other machines. Since the LCD can show characters and clips, maybe having the playfield artwork act as a more generic backdrop is more appropriate.

#4244 8 years ago

So no Ripley and crew due to licensing restraints. Any chance we see a P-5000 anywhere on this pin?

#4246 8 years ago

I was hoping for a cat cameo on the playfield

#4247 8 years ago

Playfield looks great, wish heighway would change the cab though

#4248 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I wouldn't hold your breath for any actors anywhere on the machine:

Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, the art on Star Trek is blaaaahhh. Nothing worse than actor headshots all over the place, no thanks. Whole reason I made a new art package, I didn't want to stare at them. I love Greg Freres, designed some of my favorite pinball art packages, but Star Trek was a whiff. Licensed PR shots, lazy bevel/emboss grid, just not a looker at all

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-non-licensed-original-game/page/2#post-2519475

#4249 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

I was hoping for a cat cameo on the playfield

On the screen, I bet.

As long as the pussie's surviving family are given a fair royalty I suppose.

#4250 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Not an option. Couldn't if I wanted to. Nothing to do with personal preference, or what I said about Star Trek.

Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

So no Ripley and crew due to licensing restraints. Any chance we see a P-5000 anywhere on this pin?

Well without a person it would be pretty lame. So only if Ripley was available would be my answer.

Quoted from jwo825:

I wholeheartedly agree with hoping Ripley's represented in a major way somehow. How can this be based on Alien and Aliens and not include the protagonist?!

Because we have the rights to the film, but at this point in time not Sigourney Weaver's likeness. It's possible that will change. I have no idea. But I cannot use her in any of the art right now.

Quoted from PinPatch:

I also couldnt see any weapons from aliens, the pulse rifle is a sci fi weapon icon.

Weapons will play a part in the rules, we have the pulse rifle, smart gun, flamethrower, Hicks' shotgun, and Vasquez's pistol. You collect them with the standup targets. Each will have an animation, so don't worry, they're represented.

Look, I can't get into the details of the legal stuff. It's not mine to talk about. But I think it's only fair that if you're asking for stuff like Ripley that I tell you that right now I cannot do it. I'm working within the boundaries of the license rules, and what you're getting is what I'm allowed to do. It's basically that simple.

I said if I had total freedom I'd do it differently. I don't, this is what I did. I think it will work great, and I'm not apologizing for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.