• 24,668 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 minutes ago by mavantix
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24668 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 494.
#4151 3 years ago

I like the look of the pf. It's has a good "space age" feel to it. Great color combinations. Don't like most pf art, but this one has a good vibe to it.

#4152 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you want to see the image without Pinside compression click this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/full-playfield.jpg

I love the fact this pin is being developed first and foremost by actual Alien fans . It's going to be great fun proudly pointing out all the little quirky features / hidden detail depicted on the playfield when the pins in my game room . Absolutely love the direction this has taken

#4153 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Go ahead and create one and put your money where your mouth is. Lets see what you come up with
-Jeff

That's going to take a lot of hours of effort. What is my motivation for doing all this work? I'm certainly not going to work on it just to prove to a forum of people I was right. I simply don't care if you guys believe me or not.

#4154 3 years ago

What is the total # of games being made ? Is this something that needs to be locked up now or could it wait? I'm thinking about getting in. Thanks

#4155 3 years ago
Quoted from dracula40:

What is the total # of games being made ? Is this something that needs to be locked up now or could it wait? I'm thinking about getting in. Thanks

A run of 500LE's
Then as many standards as demand requires so you have plenty of time to decide

#4156 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

That's going to take a lot of hours of effort. What is my motivation for doing all this work? I'm certainly not going to work on it just to prove to a forum of people I was right. I simply don't care if you guys believe me or not.

Maybe you could add this to yours?

2646123102_675e50de8f1_(resized).jpg

#4157 3 years ago
Quoted from dracula40:

LE 500. Standard, as many as they can sell, probably for the forseeable future once it's in production. I'd guess until they make significant changes to their modular system. Gameplay will be identical, cabinet features and bells and whistles will be mostly possible to upgrade to LE trim. Artwork on cabinet / backlight and possibly playfield and plastics will differ on LE and not be available to upgrade.

#4158 3 years ago

There's been a lot of talk about the art, but I think most of you have overlooked the more interesting tidbit that was posted yesterday......the 2nd whitewood playfield schematic.

I put them side by side below (white is 1st, pink is the more detailed 2nd), and upon inspection there are some really significant changes here. Granted not all the features are shown on the pink schematic, but from what I can see (and believe me it's hard to make out)....

1) The upper LT ramp no longer goes behind the playfield and exits on the RT. Now it quickly loops back to the LT, where there appears to be a 4 ball physical lock. Could this be where the Hypersleep chamber lock is located now?

2) On the chestburster shot, has the pop up target been replaced by something else? I can't tell what that is exactly. A scoop or subway enterance? Maybe a Chestbuster pop-up bash toy like an MMR troll? Or maybe it's just the pop-up target assembly & I'm reading into it too much.

3) The lower LT ramp has been changed as well, perhaps connected to the upper LT ramp by a diverter? Really hard to tell what the path of that ramp is now.

4) The path of the wireform on the reverse ramp has been changed so that it doesn't cover up the APC drop targets.

5) I still can't tell where the facehugger toy is located either. Maybe the top RT area at the back of the playfield, now that space has been created there? There's facehugger inserts, so I would assume there's a toy of them somewhere.

I just find it fun to try and decipher these pin schematics, that's all I have zero inside info. The layout just looks cram-packed to me with tons of unique shots, and we already know there will be lots of cool toys. With Aurich's art package, I really think it's going to be an incredible pin when it's finalized.

1st&2nd_whitewood_(resized).jpg

#4159 3 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Thankfully the text is pretty tiny, else I could never un-see the "misspelling".

Unfortunately, I'm even more obsessive about grammar than you. I am compelled to note that the period belongs inside the quotation mark in your post. I know that it's counterintuitive. The quotation mark and the apostrophe are the gobble holes of the English language. All of us (myself included) can't seem to avoid the folly caused by them.

On a somewhat related note, many years ago, I had a secretary named Ms. Pell. Her nameplate read "Ms. Pell," which is, of course, a misspelling. . .(true story, I swear).

Edit: Now that I think more about it, the humorless office manager eventually replaced the nameplate with "Miss Pell," to extinguish the joke. Back to Alien.

#4160 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Lots to like about the art and lots not to like. Overall I find a lack of consistency in the style of the art, seems like three of four different styles combined and that just seems off to me. I think TBL has a little bit of this mixed style as well, but to a far lesser degree, since it seems, based on memory, to be just the characters that were of a different style than the rest.

There other aspects that don't sit right, but really hard to really judge until it is populated. I don't get the closed in feeling of the movies, that added to the intensity.

I think the key thing is that it's so hard to judge until its fully populated and we can't see the lighting effects and how it works to create the "immersive" feel like TWD does.

However, I agree with you in that when I think of Alien/Aliens I think of the "closed in feeling", tight quarters in the ship, intensity, chest bursting, Ripley blowing up pods, etc. not necessarily space, moons and the galaxy up top, more of what we see on the bottom of the play field.

You also think of all of the great characters that are in the movies and SO integral to the experience. I guess the Lcd will make up for that?

Maybe you can create some of that atmosphere with pin blades, if ever there was a pin crying out for it this is it. The EL wire is going to help here too, big time.

Not what I expected but I respect the efforts of Aurich and Andrew, great guys, and I think this it's going to be a GREAT pin at the end of the day, the layout, mb's and modes look fantastic.

#4161 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

People were critical of the rob zombie playfield and got; both of which look way better then this artwork; which just looks well not that inspiring at all

I consider it anti-inspiring. Tone and mood is survival in far space, immersive is the word here. I feel Aurich nailed that.

Adult themed artwork is awesome. I am very pleased with it.

When I play whatever pinball machine at that time I want to be pulled right into the game. Only a few did this. Getaway HSII, and TWD.

#4162 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Tone and mood is survival in far space

I agree, inside the ships and space station, not floating out in space, BUT, if its even close to being as immersive as TWD I'll be thrilled Rick!

#4163 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I consider it anti-inspiring. Tone and mood is survival in far space, immersive is the word here. I feel Aurich nailed that.
Adult themed artwork is awesome. I am very pleased with it.

After revisiting this playfield art many times, I stand by my initial response, which was that this design looks fantastic. It will look better once the other parts fill in. I couldn't easily express what others have since stated, that the design is well organized and logical. It also has that quiet, lonely feel of space. Funny thing is, when the version with purple outlines was released, I noticed how especially nice the playfield looked. The line width of the white around the inserts and objects is thin enough that it becomes easily lost. However, because the playfield is dark and brooding, bright purple outlines really pop and tie everything together. It acts like trim around a picture ... or like a rug can do for the room.

So I am now hoping that the inserts and objects will be outlined in purple. Also hoping for uv paints to be used, especially for the central green area, but also on those purple outlines. Work those items in, and you are a wizard in my book.

#4164 3 years ago

Hey Aurich, I was looking at your art while listening to the C2C podcast (everyone making any comments about the art should listen to this first by the way) and I spotted another little thing you may want to adjust for consistency.

The weapon target inserts are all orientated in identical upright fashion. I think they should be tilted toward their associated target faces. All the other inserts point toward their shots/targets except these.

#4165 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Hey Aurich, I was looking at your art while listening to the C2C podcast (everyone making any comments about the art should listen to this first by the way) and I spotted another little thing you may want to adjust for consistency.
The weapon target inserts are all orientated in identical upright fashion. I think they should be tilted toward their associated target faces. All the other inserts point toward their shots/targets except these.

That's a good point, I'll look at that, thanks.

#4166 3 years ago

No worries! Aside from being more consistent it accentuates the radiating arc idea that you've based a lot of design decisions on.

Which makes me wonder if the grid might be interesting to add some curvature to as well. Could help act as a subtle skeleton to anchor some of the elements a bit more. Just a thought.

#4167 3 years ago

All of this "critiquing" and "discussion" that everyone is bringing in, I love knowing how - in the end - this pin is going to sell many, many, many, MANY units...and most of the critiquing and complaining will get lost like a scream in space.

#4168 3 years ago

All these complaints will be lost in time...like tears in the rain.

#4169 3 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

All these complaints will be lost in time...like tears in the rain.

Blade runner after Alien.. Bigger than Huge.

#4170 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I sure hope the playfield doesn't suck.

#4171 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Oh yes...a pair of Ridley Scott masterpiece machines, the only pair that can almost compete with Elvira's pair.

#4172 3 years ago

I really don't understand why any company would want to unveil the game without the finished product. To post an unpopulated playfield isn't fair for Heighway or Aurich. The art is meant to compliment the game, and to criticize it without proper context is premature.

#4173 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I agree, inside the ships and space station, not floating out in space, BUT, if its even close to being as immersive as TWD I'll be thrilled Rick!

Me too man. Another 'lightening in a bottle' pin next to Borg's great TWD design,

image_(resized).jpeg

#4174 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Yes please, then Running man or Total Recall, wait...Robocop based on 1 and 2, Nuke multiball, Oh Man

robocop%203%20Nuke%20Vials_(resized).jpg

robocop2-03_(resized).jpg

#4175 3 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

Episode 214 "An Evening With Aurich Lawson"
- Aurich Lawson, Art Director for Heighway Pinball's Alien talks Alien art package, Heighway Pinball, and more.
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-214-an-evening-with-aurich-lawson_67962

hi,

thanks for both of y'all taking the time to do this.
really enjoyed.

cheers

#4176 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I really don't understand why any company would want to unveil the game without the finished product. To post an unpopulated playfield isn't fair for Heighway or Aurich. The art is meant to compliment the game, and to criticize it without proper context is premature.

It's not how I would have done it given a choice, it's a pretty tough thing to see a bare playfield and imagine how it's going to work. (I should know, it's how I had to design it!)

But the natives are restless, people needed to see something. So while it's not ideal, I think it was the wise move.

I think my layout will make a lot more sense in context. But if people want to grumble in the meantime that's fine. I saw in another thread that someone called it "falien", and that wasn't my favorite moment of all of this, but what are you going to do?

Meanwhile I had a great time talking with Nate last night, and everyone seems to have enjoyed it, so thanks for the kind words.

#4177 3 years ago

That's clever...I see what they did there.

#4178 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's not how I would have done it given a choice, it's a pretty tough thing to see a bare playfield and imagine how it's going to work. (I should know, it's how I had to design it!)
But the natives are restless, people needed to see something. So while it's not ideal, I think it was the wise move.
I think my layout will make a lot more sense in context. But if people want to grumble in the meantime that's fine. I saw in another thread that someone called it "falien", and that wasn't my favorite moment of all of this, but what are you going to do?
Meanwhile I had a great time talking with Nate last night, and everyone seems to have enjoyed it, so thanks for the kind words.

Now that's funny. Let that roll off your shoulder, Falien will be a favorite story of yours in coming years, I'm sure. I'm sure you already know the story, but read this, it's pretty relevant to this situation, even the commentary near the end.

https://100swallows.wordpress.com/2008/12/19/michelangelo-takes-criticism/

I know that url looks shady, but trust me, it's a good read. Lol

#4179 3 years ago

Plalien - play alien

Grailien - Grail alien

Alienjoy - alien enjoy

Aliencore - alien encore

#4181 3 years ago

machiavalien

Machiavalien is "the employment of cunning and duplicity in forum writings or in general conduct". The word comes from the Italian Renaissance diplomat and writer Niccolò Machiavelli, who is widely credited with introducing images of large breasted women to 18th century bagatelle tables and of his seething critiques of all those who would oppose him.

#4182 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

......the 2nd whitewood playfield schematic. ...and upon inspection there are some really significant changes here.
1) The upper LT ramp no longer goes behind the playfield and exits on the RT. Now it quickly loops back to the LT, where there appears to be a 4 ball physical lock. Could this be where the Hypersleep chamber lock is located now?

Instead of seeing the next Fox approved asset, I'd rather hope to see the latest revised shot map with key. Things appear to have changed a bit in the 5 months since we were shown the last one.

I liked the ramp going behind the playfield idea. If it's no longer featured that way I'm saddened. Wonder if it conflicted with the interchangeable playfield system operation?

#4183 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

2) On the chestburster shot, has the pop up target been replaced by something else? I can't tell what that is exactly. A scoop or subway enterance? Maybe a Chestbuster pop-up bash toy like an MMR troll? Or maybe it's just the pop-up target assembly & I'm reading into it too much.

I keep hearing about a controllable drop target, so I suspect it's that. To me controllable would imply that the player can move it up and down, which could be really interesting.

#4184 3 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

I keep hearing about a controllable drop target, so I suspect it's that. To me controllable would imply that the player can move it up and down, which could be really interesting.

Controllable is just the terminology for any drop that can be triggered down (typically via a small coil) by the CPU. Fathom for example is a classic example, the way the inline drops can be lowered by the game, not the ball hitting them.

Or a good modern example is Cactus Canyon. The 4 popup drops. Hobbit is being built with nothing but controlled drops I believe. A lot at least.

That's the facehugger drop, and it will be integrated into the code, that's the controllable part.

By the way —

What you're seeing on that CAD drawing is I didn't take the time to edit it down to just surface elements. You're seeing the mounting under the playfield too. So the reason the controlled drop looks different is you're seeing the coil (I presume) attached with it to trigger it down. Bigger footprint.

#4185 3 years ago

Aurich, I listened to Nates podcast and better understand your vision. If you lighten the black area around the LCD, will the underlying rocks show up? I would not have noticed the view looking out onto the horizon if you hadn't told me.

#4186 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Aurich, I listened to Nates podcast and better understand your vision. If you lighten the black area around the LCD, will the underlying rocks show up? I would not have noticed the view looking out onto the horizon if you hadn't told me.

That's the kind of thing I'll need to color balance when the final art is turned into a CMYK proof.

The reason for the black around the LCD will become more clear when you see what the screen and inserts are doing.

This is the problem with showing just the playfield, you're not seeing the LCD and the inserts working the way they're supposed to. So gonna just have to hang in there for that part.

#4187 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's the kind of thing I'll need to color balance when the final art is turned into a CMYK proof.
The reason for the black around the LCD will become more clear when you see what the screen and inserts are doing.
This is the problem with showing just the playfield, you're not seeing the LCD and the inserts working the way they're supposed to. So gonna just have to hang in there for that part.

And you see, (almost) everything has been thought of. You got me more than excited

Keep those 'behind the scenes' stories coming Aurich. Thanks!

#4188 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I consider the movie as more of a haunted ship movie, this is more Star Trekie outer space motif.

With cartoonish spots, this is my main complain, this is not spirit of alien. Ok action takes place in the space but movies are more a claustrophobic feeling in a closed and hostile environment (ship,foundry, jail ..) than a trip through the space like ST.
it's that why i can't get into this artwork. Alien Theme integration is not here for me.

#4189 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Alien Theme integration is not here for me.

Well actually it is approved by the licence holder. And Aurich (what a patient guy ) explained several times why it is like it is. Regarding the obvious boundary conditions, it is very well executed. I like the little extras and I think (for me personally) it is kind of disrespectful, how some of you are dealing with the playfield layout. Aurich will say - no, all good, but that's my opinion. If there is one guy with dedication and skill, then it is Aurich.

I think this playfield is a good starting and I am looking forward to see it in context with the ramps, toys, plastics, lcd and leds.
I am much more concerned about the cabinet - but I see it as a kind of tradeoff because of the concept of being able to swap the playfields etc.

For me - having Aurich in the team and seeing this playfield was key to place an order.

#4190 3 years ago

The play field looks great!
Can someone save me scrolling thru 85 pages of posts and tell me the following:
1) Le vs std pricing?
2) when is production slated to start?
3) is cointaker or the other usual suspects taking orders or do you need to order direct and deal with the currency conversion/ shipping from the UK?

#4191 3 years ago

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these :

1. Roughly ~$6300 vs ~$8050

2. None official. Probably late spring?

3. Cointaker is the US distributor, I believe, but I ordered straight from Heighway.

#4193 3 years ago

I'm just now getting around to looking at everything and I think the artwork looks great. It's dark and moody and fits the theme really well. Great work Aurich!!

#4194 3 years ago

The playfield art doesn't scream Alien at all then again in space no-one can hear you scream so maybe that's the irony. But I don't think it's Aurich at all at fault I think it shows just how unaware and how little 20th century fox understand their own licence, if these are the best assets they could provide Aurich to work with (mixing comic book assests with movie just sounds amateurish when it comes to consistency and cohesiveness) it's amazing Aurich managed to do the classy job he has with clearly what little quality he's been given to work with.

I know there are going to be "Alien" toys but there just isn't any "Alien" in the art other than the single dark alien between the flippers and as any fan of the movies will attest too these where and still are some of the most iconic films in their natural/organic imagery from the Aliens themselves to each and every one of the environments - every environment had a unique and memorable feel and sound/s and the playfield is just lacking any of this essence for me it's just space and stars, quite the opposite to the films as its unmemorable.

I was hoping to see those famous tunnels and internal corridors of the colony outpost from Aliens, or the interior of the space jockey from Alien, host room and especially an alien agg room - I just can't imagine how the egg bumpers are going to look on a redish blur, I was hoping for some HR Giger kind of look and feel in that area like the inside of the space jockey or the queens hive from aliens.

Again none of my criticism is aimed at you Aurich after all the things you can read about 20th century fox online about their fat suits running the show it's not hard to assume with some accuracy that they just haven't got a damn clue what the essence of the film world/licence is about and it's a big shame.

#4195 3 years ago

Ok, ok....I'm just playin' around here....

full-playfield_T2a_72_(resized).jpg

full-playfield_T1_72_(resized).jpg

#4196 3 years ago

Nice Ted!

Totally agree with Jon M, I think Aurich did the best with what he had to work with so I'm happy with it.

It's just a "shame" for all the reasons discussed with this theme.

Onward and upward!

#4197 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Nice Ted!
Totally agree with Jon M, I think Aurich did the best with what he had to work with so I'm happy with it.
It's just a "shame" for all the reasons discussed with this theme.
Onward and upward!

I agree....just figured I'd try something bold...

#4198 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Wonder if it conflicted with the interchangeable playfield system operation?

That was my first thought as well. If you watch the playfield swap video, the playfield fits in a box that can slide under the machine. That ramp might cause it not to fit or become a easy target for cracking during a swap. I'm sure they had a good reason for the change.

Quoted from Aurich:

What you're seeing on that CAD drawing is I didn't take the time to edit it down to just surface elements. You're seeing the mounting under the playfield too. So the reason the controlled drop looks different is you're seeing the coil (I presume) attached with it to trigger it down. Bigger footprint.

Thanks for clearing that up Aurich. Looking forward to the next full CAD drawing reveal.

#4199 3 years ago

Also can someone explain how that reverse ramp works, or at least give an example of one? Does it have a VUK? I don't see a hole cut out in the playfield, so I'm guessing it works something like the elevator & return ramps on Who Dunnit? Just curious.

#4200 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also can someone explain how that reverse ramp works, or at least give an example of one? Does it have a VUK? I don't see a hole cut out in the playfield, so I'm guessing it works something like the elevator & return ramps on Who Dunnit? Just curious.

No VUK, it's all ball momentum. It's a short metal ramp that double back on itself, sort of C shaped, so you shoot the ball, it rides up and over back towards you, and drops into the wireform return. Hence reverse ramp, since it switches direction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
There are 24668 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside