• 24,672 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24672 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 494.
#3951 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

This may be a weird question, and I have no artistic background at all, but what is with the squares on the playfield? Is it something to do with the movies?

It was an attempt to make it look like a HUD. Kinda like battle ship... But now, the more I look at it, it just looks like the grid guide layer was left on.

BS_PROLOGUE_VFX_09_(resized).jpg

#3953 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I am sure Aurich will give much of the criticism some of the merit it may deserve but I wish people would not attack (the art or the artist) because it does not suit their own personal vision.

I think it's possible to judge the artwork as it sits (according to personal preferences) without having any preconceived expectations.

#3954 3 years ago

Now we just need a mock up of the playfield sitting in the cabinet with approved artwork.

#3955 3 years ago

Does anyone know what the image at the top of the playfield is and how it fits in with the blood splatter around the pop bumper holes?

#3956 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

image at the top of the playfield is

Female Alien bits?

#3957 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Does anyone know what the image at the top of the playfield is and how it fits in with the blood splatter around the pop bumper holes?

It is imagery of the interior walls of the xenomorphic hive. However, it is zoomed in on the playfield so it is hard to identify.

xenomorphic_hive_(resized).jpg

#3958 3 years ago

I think the grid look is taken directly from the computer Starcharts of the Nostromo. Nice touch if you ask me

nostromo_starcharts_(resized).jpg

#3959 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I think the grid look is taken directly from the computer Starcharts of the Nostromo. Nice touch if you ask me
nostromo_starcharts_(resized).jpg

Agreed. And I hope we get to hear some of those unique sounds associated with the Nostromo's computers too when the pin is finished:

#3960 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

In that case, the grid on the playfield should have some CRT distortion/vibration and not just 1 pixel lines.

#3961 3 years ago

We should all wait to judge when the machine is ready and we can see it in person. Personally I disliked almost everything about the GoT LE, but as it is one of my favorite themes I went ahead and bought it. In person it is a very beautiful machine.

So this playfield I already like and this is only the first layer of the machine. Much more to come. But if GoT is any indication of how the pictures are compared to the real thing, this will be over-awesome. Just my thinking..

#3962 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think it's possible to judge the artwork as it sits (according to personal preferences) without having any preconceived expectations.

I agree 100%. Some comments indeed appeared to be delivered that way but others did not and I was addressing those.

#3963 3 years ago

And the symbols on the Airlock & and Airvent inserts came from the Semiotic Standard, used in the first film throughout the Nostromo. Upon closer inspection, there's really a lot of attention to detail here. I hope these symbols are used elsewhere in the game, or at least in the animations.

the_semiotic_standard_(resized).jpg

#3964 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

And the symbols on the Airlock & and Airvent inserts came from the Semiotic Standard, used in the first film throughout the Nostromo. Upon closer inspection, there's really a lot of attention to detail here. I hope these symbols are used elsewhere in the game, or at least in the animations.

So that's what it's all about....

#3965 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

For the animations we're using the updated look of the semiotic standard from Aliens, where the rounded square was turned into a hexagon. You can see it in the director's cut in the Weyland Yutani base.

As with everything I'm trying to balance the game being about both films, so since I used the old school semiotic standard on the playfield the new one is being build into the animations.

#3966 3 years ago

I can't believe anyone is complaining about this art. It looks absolutely amazing.

Great work by the design team... Can't wait to see a populated playfield!

#3967 3 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Just curious Aurich, did you have the chance to make your own art/ illustrations besides the inserts and such, i mean; for example is that upper alien drawn by you (it's got this cool cartoon ink feel to it), or is that one also part of the delivered art package?

No that upper Alien is from a comic book cover from the original Dark Horse run. For whatever reason they gave me a bunch of covers from the comics as part of the asset dump, and while a lot of it wasn't really useful I drew from it where I could.

As I said before, these are old films, and there just isn't much in the way of high rez assets for it, but I couldn't just wander off into my own land, I had to use the tools available to me. That dictated some of the decision making. I did original drawings where I could.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Edit: I'd also like the crosshairs in the target inserts red instead of white too. White will get lost.

The white will show up fine I think, remember these are all RGB lights, and the color over them has to contrast with a lot of possibilities. The rules for those standup targets are still being refined, but you'll use them to collect weapons. Right now we have an idea that will use different colors as part of that.

#3968 3 years ago

So what are the odds that this game will fully ship in 2016?

#3969 3 years ago

Looks pretty cool and there seems to be a lot of modes in the game! I like how each film has it's own set of unique mode.

Does not having any of the films characters / actors represented on the playfield mean that we won't see them in video clips, audio call outs and on the cabinet artwork? I know that not having the actors represented on the playfield doesn't necessarily mean we won't see / hear them in the games videos + audio. Stern Star Trek and GOT don't have any of the themes actors on the playfield yet they are in the games animations, rules and audio call outs. Then there's TWD...

#3971 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So what are the odds that this game will fully ship in 2016?

i think we will see at least the stds
mid year. ill be happy to get my le anytime in 2016 i aint in no rush.

#3972 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As was correctly guessed earlier there are 3 branches, all laid out with the motion tracker layout. We're going to use the RGB LEDs to do a blue "pulse" through the inserts to simulate the tracking, maybe just for the attract mode or something, should be cool looking.

Outstanding! That blue motion tracker pulse through the inserts should be great. There are so many cool things that must be in store for this pin. I get the feeling we have only seen the tip of the iceberg as of yet.

I wonder if Fox has approved the translucent egg poppers? Besides the toys, airlock LCD, and other mechanisms planned, I bet this little nest of eggs turns out to be a really cool feature unto itself. Hope it gets several different sound and lighting effects to use depending on mode.

Great job on the artwork by the way! Loving it. You don't have to change a thing as for as I'm concerned.

egg_opening_(resized).png

#3973 3 years ago

I did a quick mock up of what the blue motion tracker pulse might look like. Definitely will add to the mood and feel of the game I think.

At the moment I'm not really leaning one way or the other with the artwork. Though I think it is something that could potentially work really well once the playfield is populated. Interested to see what is on the plastics.

#3974 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I wonder if Fox has approved the translucent egg poppers? Besides the toys, airlock LCD, and other mechanisms planned, I bet this little nest of eggs turns out to be a really cool feature unto itself. Hope it gets several different sound and lighting modes.

Good question, I thought maybe they have, but I'm not sure. It's hard for me to keep track since I'm not in Wales, I just try and stay focused on the things that are happening in the US that involve me, the animation, sound, and programming end.

There's definitely more to be revealed.

#3975 3 years ago
Quoted from lachied:

I did a quick mock up of what the blue motion tracker pulse might look like. Definitely will add to the mood and feel of the game I think.

Heh, I have a version of that I animated real quick too, but it has unapproved music running with it so I didn't upload it.

#3976 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the full playfield. I was going to talk about some more details first, but since the flyer is out that seems silly. I can still do that more later if people want.
full-playfield_(resized).jpg

Wow and you were ripping on Rob Zombie! Not impressed.

#3977 3 years ago
Quoted from lachied:

» YouTube video
At the moment I'm not really leaning one way or the other with the artwork. Though I think it is something that could potentially work really well once the playfield is populated. Interested to see what is on the plastics.

ace, bloke. thats good oil!

#3978 3 years ago

A different pic of the playfield from EAG showing the screen:

Alien_playfield_V2_(resized).jpg

#3979 3 years ago

And with shot map:

full-playfield_+_shot_map_V2_(resized).jpg

#3980 3 years ago

image_(resized).pngSee it ?

image_(resized).png

#3981 3 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Totally agree. Im a little shocked by what I see here. Im sure the license handcuffed the design and im sure it will look totally different with plastics and the LCD, but I think this is very uninspired and inconsistent. Just this area alone is crazy to me. So many different styles going on here and they all seem to float on this background.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-12_at_11.31.06_AM_(resized).png

I think we all should hold judgement how these "misplaced" graphics look with the whole thing assembled. I personally love these details floating there and will be one of those details you look at when you admire this majestic piece in the works. Tied with a good mode, audio and dots - it will change everyone's mind, rest assured.

#3982 3 years ago

The Colonial Marines logo is very similar to Atari, yes.

#3983 3 years ago

Aurich, what was the thinking on the eggs/pops being in the galaxy versus being in the dark bowels of the ship with the pulsing green light?

I'm terrible at visualizing anything so I'm not sure, maybe its gonna pop against the red colors?

#3984 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Wow and you were ripping on Rob Zombie! Not impressed.

The RZ pf looks like a pile of feces next to this pf...and this pf is just above average! IMO.

#3985 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

The Colonial Marines logo is very similar to Atari, yes.

Yup, here's the Colonial Marines logo that I based that Drop Ship insert design off of.

colonial-marines_(resized).png

#3986 3 years ago

Aurich ... well done sir. It was not what I was expecting but I actually am thrilled by that!!! I love the focus on the aliens and marine icons and the lack of actor photos. It is more timeless in my opinion. I love the details and depth you added. You should be proud and I am planning to see this at TPF in late March ... you going to be there? I'm in on the LE (#57) and you made my day

#3987 3 years ago

Been working my ass off all day, and finally got to look at the thread. I'd seen the PF before, but truthfully, the more I stare at it now, the more I like it.....I'm no artist ( by a long stretch), but the colors lend to a nice, dark feel, along with random images ( TZ'ish) which I think will really give the game staying power ( i.e.-" I didn't notice that before" effect). Very well done, and can't wait to see LE artwork!!!....

Thank you Aurich and team for continuing to impress....this will be an awesome pin!!!....Mark

#3988 3 years ago

The playfield looks decent, less than what I had hoped for, but not bad by any means. No doubt I am in. I am going to suspend my full comments until I can see the complete game and plastics. Well done Aurich, thank you for all that you contribute to pinball!

#3989 3 years ago

Ok, I know this is not going to be popular....and I like this playfield...I just don't think it's THAT much better than the Rob Zombie playfield.

#3990 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Ok, I know this is not going to be popular....and I like this playfield...I just don't think it's THAT much better than the Rob Zombie playfield.

Both playfields look amateurish compared to jjp and stern offerings.

#3991 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Agreed. And I hope we get to hear some of those unique sounds associated with the Nostromo's computers too when the pin is finished:
» YouTube video

It would be neat to hear those sounds when you first turned on the game or when you press start, though if it happens too often some people may find it irritating.

#3992 3 years ago

This would be perfect at one of those 80's parties...

#3993 3 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

#3994 3 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Really, really, really (but respectfully) disagree with this.

#3995 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

It's true though. I think both play fields are really good and Aurich did a great job with the assets he had to work with.

#3996 3 years ago

Not blown away. Expected bigger images, that catch your eye instantly.

Maybe the whole playfield will when mounted.

#3997 3 years ago

The only way to get a good look at it in this medium is the hi-res link, zoom in and have a good look around. To call it amateurish is way off base. The detail is fantastic. And don't forget you're not seeing it through a coat of clear. That's when it will pop like crazy.

#3998 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Really, really, really (but respectfully) disagree with this.

He's half right. Way better than Stern, better than Full Throttle, but Hobbit is better.

#3999 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think Rob Zombie PF looks great.....but doesn't hold a candle, theme wise, for me compared to Alien

#4000 3 years ago

I would agree with people saying JJP>Aurich>Stern. Not a bad first showing for Aurich!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
There are 24672 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside