DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 601.
#3901 8 years ago

I take nothing personally.

Also, if you're not a fan enough to recognize certain things that's fine too.

#3902 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

This art blows ST out of the water hands down. I really disliked ST PF art no detail at all this has the detail to go with the color scheme.

#1. Wasn't comparing the two

#2. It's a HUD display. This is obvious and has been pointedly stated by Ritchie. I play mine all the time. I am not clamoring for clip art of Chris Pine or Simon Peg on the playfield or slings.

#3903 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

At least Star Trek looked that way for a reason...it was giving the player a HUD of being Captain Kirk.

the ST playfield (as well as GOT, which looks to me like it was done by the same person) is just awful. it's overly reliant on bevel/emboss, shadow, and other stock filters. the shapes are too large and the lines are too thick. it looks like a 2002 rave flyer made by a kid with a pirated copy of photoshop. very little detail, unless you count a stock photoshop gradient fill as detail. GOT has a lot of the same problems, with the added issue of tons of cheesy clip art of generic swords and gears. They both look terrible compared to their contemporary competitors and compared to great playfields of the past.

#3904 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the ST playfield (as well as GOT, which looks to me like it was done by the same person) is just awful. it's overly reliant on bevel/emboss, shadow, and other stock filters. the shapes are too large and the lines are too thick. it looks like a 2002 rave flyer made by a kid with a pirated copy of photoshop. GOT has a lot of the same problems, with the added issue of tons of cheesy clip art of generic swords and gears. They both look terrible compared to their contemporary competitors and compared to great playfields of the past.

Already disputed this above...not doing it again.

#3905 8 years ago

Already disputed this above...not doing it again.

i don't really buy "it's a HUD" as an excuse for bad design in the first place, but also it does nothing to explain why GoT is guilty of all the same sins.

edit: sorry, Aurich, i'll stop distracting from your thread now!

edit 2: Kirk, we are in agreement that it's a great pin! the playfield art blows, though.

#3906 8 years ago

I play mine all the time.

I've owned ST too. Love the pin hate the PF art. Sorry back on topic

#3907 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i don't really buy "it's a HUD" as an excuse for bad design in the first place, but also it does nothing to explain why GOT is guilty of all the same sins.

An excuse implies a mistake. It was designed to be that way.

And I don't give a rat's ass about GOT's playfield.

#3908 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I take nothing personally.
Also, if you're not a fan enough to recognize certain things that's fine too.

I may not be. I've seen each movie like 20 times though Some more.

#3909 8 years ago

No, it doesn't. You missed the point of Star Trek's playfield. See above.

Look closely

10pt bevel and emboss on the "console" area look like total garbage.

The more you stare at it the more amateurish it looks.

Maybe having no photoshop experience (and I have very little) makes it easier to look at.

Edit* No knock on the gameplay though. Love me some st

#3910 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

to a maximum as do the random "planets".

these are not random planets

The planet with the ring is Calpamos
The moons that surround the planet include LV 426 and LV 223 and an additional

--Jeff

#3911 8 years ago

No, it doesn't. You missed the point of Star Trek's playfield. See above.

It does imo, and is one of the reasons I canceled my LE order amongst others, cab is gorgeous though, but I wouldn't expect Captain Kirk or Jean Luc to agree with me.

Hopefully somebody can overlay the shot map here so we can get a better idea of what's going on.

#3912 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Look closely
10pt bevel and emboss on the "console" area look like total garbage.
The more you stare at it the more amateurish it looks.
Maybe having no photoshop experience (and I have very little) makes it easier to look at.

Perhaps if you had more experience it wouldn't bother you so.

#3913 8 years ago

You missed the point.

It ok though...

The more experience you have with ps the more shitty it looks. I'm glad I'm not a pro!

#3914 8 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

these are not random planets
The planet with the ring is Calpamos
The moons that surround the planet include LV 426 and LV 223 and an additional
--Jeff

Wow dude.

#3915 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

You missed the point.
It ok though...
The more experience you have with ps the more shitty it looks. I'm glad I'm not a pro!

No, I didn't miss the point....just exploiting your self-admitted lack of Photoshop experience.

Now...back to Aliens.......

#3916 8 years ago

take it to the basement...seriously

#3917 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

take it to the basement...seriously

I just said...back to Aliens.

Seriously.

#3918 8 years ago

I think this playfield looks awesome. Congratulations Aurich for having the courage to present your own vision. It's obvious that you have put a lot of thought into the design. I was really enjoying the explanation of the details before the full playfield was posted - please continue with this, I would really like to learn more about the decisions you made and the background to some of the other elements. I have seen the movies but I am not a diehard fan so it fear that some of the detail will be lost on me otherwise.

#3920 8 years ago

i think it is hard to really pass judgement on this until we see it with plastics and slings and ramps and pops and mechs, which will really fill it out and make it seem more dense.

#3921 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think it is hard to really pass judgement on this until we see it with plastics and slings and pops and mechs, which will really fill it out and make it seem more dense.

Yes. But The center zone above planets is free. So if people really does not like it, nothing will cover or hide ( like upper zone)
Anyway i respect aurich work, it's just impossible to please everybody.

#3922 8 years ago

I really like the gridlines in the middle section. I like how some of the squares have a different tone, looks cool. So many little details, love the little ships everywhere. I like the overall concept of having the motion tracker up close by the flippers, makes it feel like the alien is almost on top of you, and then having the more expansive feeling of space as you get further away. Great design, it's got its own style, unlike anything we've seen in pinball before, well done!

#3923 8 years ago

It would be no fun if every game was done by the same artist, with the same style, same color schemes, etc. I love the look of some of the classics but that's what makes them classic. I want new games to look different and some effort in making things look cool. I don't want Alien to look like the old Bally Space Invaders. That would look so out of place on a modern machine. I can think of a few things that could be better but good enough for me.

#3924 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I really like the gridlines in the middle section. I like how some of the squares have a different tone, looks cool.

And some people don't care for the grid and the fact that some squares are different tones. Which is why you have to let go of the idea of pleasing everyone!

#3925 8 years ago

As someone who has had a few hours to digest this, and an LE owner, I really like it. Also let's keep it real, I looked at GOT and it was a total pig's breakfast. This is a lot more calculated and thought out, and is only 1/3 of what will make the machine.

Good work Aurich and more power to HP.

#3926 8 years ago

Are the grid lines a reference to something in the movies? I didn't notice them when I first looked at the picture.

I still don't know what the red puddle is but if it's gonna be mostly covered, oh well.

I hope there is a motion tracker mode. Maybe make certain shots that are lit.

#3927 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I hope there is a motion tracker mode.

Of course there is!

#3928 8 years ago

Dunno, but some details on the playfield remind me of great 80/90s pinball art....really dig that somehow.

#3929 8 years ago

I'm curious as to how the inserts will light...like the multiplier inserts for example, will the pf ink be dark enough to block the light so we just see the numbers lit? I think the black in the mode inserts will do the job and block the light nicely. It's difficult to make an insert a different "shape".

Edit: I'd also like the crosshairs in the target inserts red instead of white too. White will get lost.

#3930 8 years ago

Question: The Alien at the top, it is semi-transparent with stars overlapping. To me, it sorta looks like it is being beamed up via a transporter. What exactly is going on with that. Or is it supposed to be a mirage in some kind of planetary aurora borealis or outlining some kind of alien constellation? The confusion I have is the entire playfield feels like a collage. So, it is difficult to define where things start or end...

#3931 8 years ago

OK, here's a quick and nasty mock-up. Best I could do with the very low-res shot map. At least it gives you an general idea of where things will go.

Edit: this is lined-up better:

full-playfield_+_shot_map_(resized).jpgfull-playfield_+_shot_map_(resized).jpg

#3932 8 years ago

Reminds me a bit of the first Hobbit playfield reveal.

I too was hoping for more of an HR Giger look for the background.

#3933 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

OK, here's a quick and nasty mock-up. Best I could do with the very lo-res shot map. At least it gives you an general idea of where things will go.
full-playfield_+_shot_map_(resized).jpg

It needs stretched vertically. It's way off at the top, but gives a good idea of it anyways.

#3934 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It needs stretched vertically. It's way off at the top, but gives a good idea of it anyways.

OK fixed.

#3935 8 years ago

Looks great Aurich, congrats!

#3936 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

This is exactly my point. The grid lines HAVE to go as well. It brings the cheese level to a maximum as do the random "planets". This was the first thing people who got a warez copy of 3dsmax were doing was making cheesy planet art because they could skin the sphere object.
Also the mixture of the drawn alien (with the unfortunately placed groin insert) and the movie snap aliens at the bottom looks odd. Pick one.
No additional comments from me.
</end>

Maybe aurich wanted to make them look like the sega master system game cases?

#3937 8 years ago

As we all know, Alien is a film about a heroic and brave catstronaut named Jones.

After the frankly scandalous decision not to feature Jones on the cabinet or back glass, this PF reveal was a massive disappointment.

#wheresthecat

#3938 8 years ago

Just curious Aurich, did you have the chance to make your own art/ illustrations besides the inserts and such, i mean; for example is that upper alien drawn by you (it's got this cool cartoon ink feel to it), or is that one also part of the delivered art package?

#3939 8 years ago

For not being hand drawn and having to work within the constraints of a license I think it looks pretty damn good! I would be happy to have one in my collection. Really like what I've seen of the game so far.

#3940 8 years ago

One thing that sticks out in the playfield art/layout mock-up is the empty black about mid LCD down to the scanner. Sure seems like that area could be used for something interesting even if not too close to the screen.

#3942 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The space vagina inserts are my favorite.

I would think those inserts are a tribute to the "I" in the Heighway Pinball take on how they are using it as you see on their side art graphic for the SE.

Besides, if you know Giger's art at all it has always been very organic, and shall we say perhaps, a little risque?

That being said I'm surprised no one has commented on the elephant in the room.

f2213ca5be40e4aa2574241ada622fd8e373afec[1]_(resized).pngf2213ca5be40e4aa2574241ada622fd8e373afec[1]_(resized).png

464299_(resized).jpg464299_(resized).jpg

Gigeresque_(resized).jpgGigeresque_(resized).jpg

#3943 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

That being said I'm surprised no one has commented on the elephant in the room.

There's an elephant?

#3944 8 years ago

this looks pretty good. color scheme is fantastic. at first some of the art looked kinda cut and paste or sticker-like but after aurich explained it I like it.

#3945 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I would think those inserts are a tribute to the "I" in the Heighway Pinball take on how they are using it as you see on their side art graphic for the SE.

Uh, that's not Heighway Pinball's "take" on it. That's the Aliens "I". Was this a failed joke post?

#3946 8 years ago

This may be a weird question, and I have no artistic background at all, but what is with the squares on the playfield? Is it something to do with the movies?

alien_(resized).PNGalien_(resized).PNG

#3947 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Maybe aurich wanted to make them look like the sega master system game cases?

Holy shit I was drinking. Nothing like green tea out of a nostril.

#3948 8 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I've seen it. I wouldnt worry

Good. I wasn't.

Game is looking promising. Might end up my first NIB.

#3949 8 years ago

I have quite enjoyed reading everyone's comments on the playfield art reveal. I think it is fair to say that everyone who enjoyed the movies had their own vision of what they wanted the game to look like, however, this vision is the one that belongs to Heighway and Aurich and I think it looks pretty decent. They are the craftsmen and just like when we don't like the ending of a movie we need to accept it and move on.

I am sure Aurich will give much of the criticism some of the merit it may deserve but I wish people would not attack (the art or the artist) because it does not suit their own personal vision. Some people need to learn the importance of "it isn't what you say but how you say it".

Nice job Aurich - really looking forward to seeing the final version installed in a game in my basement.

#3950 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Uh, that's not Heighway Pinball's "take" on it. That's the Aliens "I". Was this a failed joke post?

Uh, no not a joke post. I read somewhere a long time ago that the Heighway team were discussing changing the way the letter "I" looked in Alien for the pin. And they did. The letter "I" from the Aliens title is being used in the "I" of the Alien title. Google the two movie titles (Alien and Aliens) and you can see the difference for yourself. Clever thing, combining the different movie fonts because the pin combines the two movies. And that "I" looks exactly like what we are seeing in the inserts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.