• 24,685 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 minute ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24685 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 494.
#3801 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you want to see the image without Pinside compression click this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/full-playfield.jpg

Wow there's a lot more going on than initially meets the eye. I think it looks stunning

Btw everyone if you haven't allready click on the above link to the high res version. The others don't do it justice

#3802 3 years ago

I think it looks good and cant wait to see a populated version to tie everything together. I bet the plastics really finish off what is on the play field.

#3803 3 years ago

Ahh finally, time to critique the critic!

First impressions, I'm not AMAZED or anything, but it's much, much better than the recent slapshod work from Stern. However, it's not as good as the current Hobbit playfield.

Until someone pointed it out, I had no idea what was going on in the upper part. To me it looks like wrinkled shrinkwrap. Seems more like a throwaway area which I assume is under a bunch of mechs so it doesn't matter.

Even in the closeup, the Drop Ship patch looks muddy and not crisp like the rest of the linework. Not sure why. I don't find that the graffiti style stuff around it matches the aesthetic of the rest of the playfield which seems more straight lines and high tech.

The alien in the range finder seems blurry and low-res to me. I'd like to see some closeups.

Overall it's pretty empty. But then so is space.

Okay, enough negatives!

All the inserts and text are clear and perfectly readable. It's not cut and paste overload - the images are well integrated. I really like the Hypersleep area - in fact the whole lower playfield is great.

For a photoshop job, I give it a solid 8/10. The Hobbit is the gold standard for photoshops and it's not quite there but it's close.

#3804 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I think it looks good and cant wait to see a populated version to tie everything together. I bet the plastics really finish off what is on the play field.

Same, looking forward to a populated playfield. The stripped playfield make some parts look sparse, but I know a ton of that space will be covered up with stuff and plastics. I like the colors, it makes each shot distinct but keeps the dark theme and doesn't make me taste the rainbow.

#3805 3 years ago

Game play looks like it has depth based off the modes. I already liked the translite and cabinet art, but RGB lighting and playfield video should make this game standout.
I would have super high blood pressure and anxiety with this type of reveal, so congrats to Heighway for hanging in there. Break a leg! You guys deserve success. Let 2016 be the year for the boutiques/up-and-comers.

#3806 3 years ago

It definitely isn't what I expected. Not sure if I like it yet. It's sparser than I thought it would be. I'm definitely not an art critic, but it seems like there are several different styles used...realistic and cartoony. It's not cohesive to my untrained eye. I don't dislike it, but it's definitely not making me feel like I need to go out and pre-order it at this point. It won't hinder any plans to purchase the game like the RZ pf art did for me though either. I think it will look better full size on a pf in person so the details can be seen better. Plastics and lighting will help too.

#3807 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I was hoping for a bit of the bio wall look...

There's always a chance to use this type of "HIVE" setting for the inside of the cabinet walls as a mod if Aurich doesn't secure it. I can sense a bit of the "HIVE" on the top of the playfield, but it needs to happen to make this pin become a real looker.

00007fd3_(resized).jpg

#3808 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Even in the closeup, the Drop Ship patch looks muddy and not crisp like the rest of the linework. Not sure why.

Because it's red. What I'm discovering today is that when Robin redid the Pinside image system he cranked up the compression, probably to save on storage and bandwidth space. Frankly the images uploaded here look pretty awful, but red is the worst, it compresses really bad with JPEG compression.

Here's a PNG straight from Photoshop:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/spa/8flr09adcnbjgkj/tnxmz_1s.png

All the line work is vector drawn, perfectly crisp under the texturing.

#3809 3 years ago

Still, very little contrast between the red, blue and browns.

#3810 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Ahh finally, time to critique the critic!
First impressions, I'm not AMAZED or anything, but it's much, much better than the recent slapshod work from Stern. However, it's not as good as the current Hobbit playfield.
Until someone pointed it out, I had no idea what was going on in the upper part. To me it looks like wrinkled shrinkwrap. Seems more like a throwaway area which I assume is under a bunch of mechs so it doesn't matter.
Even in the closeup, the Drop Ship patch looks muddy and not crisp like the rest of the linework. Not sure why. I don't find that the graffiti style stuff around it matches the aesthetic of the rest of the playfield which seems more straight lines and high tech.
The alien in the range finder seems blurry and low-res to me. I'd like to see some closeups.
Overall it's pretty empty. But then so is space.

Totally agree. Im a little shocked by what I see here. Im sure the license handcuffed the design and im sure it will look totally different with plastics and the LCD, but I think this is very uninspired and inconsistent. Just this area alone is crazy to me. So many different styles going on here and they all seem to float on this background.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-12_at_11.31.06_AM_(resized).png

#3811 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Art fiiiiiiight!

#3812 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's the patch/emblem though...not sure what you want there?

#3813 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's the patch/emblem though...not sure what you want there?

For it to be legible. Why dirty it up?

#3814 3 years ago

Well done Aurich! You did a very nice pulling off an atmosphere using the assets at your disposal.

I really like the color palate & the use of greens, blues & reds. The dark areas are balanced & well placed around the LCD screen. That should make the LCD pop. The star field works really well too. The bottom of the playfield is the best part, and you did a great job combining the motion sensor tracker with the head-on iconic image by HR Geiger. I think with everything put together & the lighting added, this is going to look outstanding as an overall package.

I guess the only thing I'm struggling with is that you created a mish mash of HR Gieger, photorealistic & comic book art. The Xeno in green at the top of the playfield is cool looking for sure, but clearly came from comic book art. It matches the art of the inserts well, along with the "cartoonish" flames on the dropship. I guess the top of the playfield has a more "cartoon" feel, and the bottom is more photorealistic images? I'm not saying that's a problem, but that was my first impression, and I'm wondering why you didn't go for one consistent look for the entire playfield.

With that said, I would only make a couple minor changes (and please don't take that the wrong way). I'd probably ditch the cartoon flames on the dropships for a more realistic propulsion effect, or remove it entirely. And the Nostromo really isn't getting it's due. It's a massive ship & it just doesn't come off that way at it's current scale, compared to the other ships. Does the dropship of the Nostromo really need to be represented in that area? It may be better represented with that removed & the Nostromo enlarged. I'm also a little sad the Marine transport ship Sulaco wasn't shown either, but perhaps it will show up elsewhere, like on the plastics.

I hope I offered some constructive criticism for you, as I don't like to throw stones at other people's hard work. It had to be hard to represent & combine elements from two different films into one cohesive playfield. Again, very well done!

#3815 3 years ago

Nice, Aurich! Can't wait to see how it comes together when it's populated and lit up.

#3816 3 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Lots of detail, the more you look the better it gets.....excellent.
PS....stop quoting kaneda....f n a

yeah i mean ignore did wonders for me! looks great. love the small details.

#3817 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's what it looks like in the film, I didn't get to pick the colors, sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#3818 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It's supposed to look "used" and gritty, no?

#3819 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's what it looks like in the film, I didn't get to pick the colors, sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, but you can bump up the contrast a little.

bugstomper_(resized).png

#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

For it to be legible. Why dirty it up?

Right, take everything in Alien and clean it all up and boost the contrast so it looks brand new! Wait, no, that would be terrible...

#3821 3 years ago

The ships, people, setting, planets, everything was gritty...that's how the movie looked

#3822 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Right, take everything in Alien and clean it all up and boost the contrast so it looks brand new! Wait, no, that would be terrible...

You can add grime and dirt and it still be legible. Just adding larger stroke around the bird/text would help.

#3823 3 years ago

BTW — I'm not going to respond to every comment, but I am reading it all, positive or negative, and I have thick skin, so if I don't reply to your criticisms don't think I have hurt feelings or anything. I dish it out, I can take it.

Just no point in getting into back and forths over stylistic stuff. I made decisions based on what I had to work with, and while I definitely don't mind discussing it there's nothing to be gained by going too far down any hypothetical roads, so just going to skip that.

#3824 3 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this populated. It's a different look for playfield art. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but without the usual bold black outlines (keylines?) the playfield has a somewhat muted look to me. Will be interesting to see how the LCD ties things together.

Really like all the inserts to track progress instead of leaving it up to the LCD. Also like the detailed insert graphics.

As others have mentioned, the flame trail style and having it extend through the planet seems out of place. The top of the playfield (above the green alien) looks empty, most notably around the pop bumpers. Is this visible when the playfield is populated?

I don't have a problem with the various objects floating above the space/planet background.

All in all, a good effort.

#3825 3 years ago

Playfield art looks outstanding. Insert lettering is consistent and easy to read. Different areas give off unique vibes. I didn't have expectations or preconceived images, but really appreciate how the artwork lays out.

I am confident now, in stating that once plastics are revealed and playfield is populated and lit, anyone not already blown away, will be. Playfield art is just one aspect of a complete design, but so far so good. My hunch is that all other parts will be at this same level of design and professionalism.

My main question is how can I help Heighway to put one of these pins in my garage ASAP?

Only design comment - I wish the dropship flame was more realistic. Pefer a mist or smoke style pattern. Think dots or fragments, not solid color. Otherwise I am ready to sign off on it.

#3826 3 years ago

Seems like a really trivial issue...how is it not "legible"? Are we looking at the same image?

#3827 3 years ago

now with the downvote wars...ahhhh pinside you fantastic sons of bitches

#3828 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Seems like a really trivial issue...how is it not "legible"? Are we looking at the same image?

I agree, not a big deal. Just saying you could have both. Downvote means I disagree with you. We can still be internet friends

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Compare side to side:

Original More Contrast and Brightness

Notice how the blue in the original basically blends into the red, due to the low brightness. Makes it hard to read, and when it's tiny on a playfield it'll just look like a smudge.

#3830 3 years ago

Well I'd have to say that overall I am disappointed in the PF artwork.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't "ugly" or terrible or anything, but it just seems uninspired. I realize that Alien is a dark theme, but I think this PF is too dark and bleak overall. There is a lack of detailed artwork that I was hoping for. There is nothing here to really get excited about or makes you think "wow, that's awesome, I've got to have it!" It's very sparse. Also agree with others that there seems to be too much of a mish mash with differing artistic styles.

Compare this to the reveal of the artwork on the playfield on MET for example. People went crazy over the artwork on that one (and rightfully so).

I do agree with others that it could wind up looking better when it's populated, but I don't think that's going to make a lot of difference. This is a pretty average attempt in my opinion. On a more positive note, I do like the inserts.

#3831 3 years ago

As for contrast and legibility etc, at some point I'll need to see a test print, and I'll adjust elements as need be. You're looking at RGB colors on a monitor, it will be printed CMYK. Tweaking will come into play, it's not anything I'm concerned about at this stage.

This is prototype art, it will go through revisions as the process plays out.

I need to stay film accurate, that's how things got approved, but if parts aren't printing clearly I'll address that.

#3832 3 years ago

I think the two patches would look great on the apron and maybe removed from the playfield. I like them, they just look out of place out in space.

#3833 3 years ago

I like it but how come there aren't any cast members?

Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the full playfield. I was going to talk about some more details first, but since the flyer is out that seems silly. I can still do that more later if people want.
full-playfield_(resized).jpg

#3834 3 years ago

Lots of stuff for the screens...

#3835 3 years ago

I swear pinside is a place more to argue about art then to talk about pinball. Overall the playfield is not at all what I expected but at the same time I think I like most of it. The inserts look great which is a huge plus. In a dark room playing you seem them the most anyway. At the end of the day what matters is how this game plays and if it's fun. Good art is a bonus that I can live without if the gameplay is great. It's nice to get both when you can though.

#3836 3 years ago

I like the art

looks good and all the little details are great

Nice job

#3837 3 years ago

I have a question: is it The final artwork or can it be still a little modified even if it could take à long time to get fox validation?

#3838 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

if parts aren't printing clearly I'll address that.

Fair enough.

So what's up with the wrinkly plastic wrap up top?

#3839 3 years ago

The playfield looks too dark for me. If I walk past a row of pins that are turned off, there is nothing here that gets my attention to turn it on.

I also think that the artwork looks like peel and stick removable kids decals.

That is what I see now. Looking forward to seeing it in person with the playfield populated and playing it.

#3840 3 years ago

Alright I've pored over this enough at work. I like it. It doesn't blow me away like a Met or TH, but it's still above average. I have a few of the same criticisms above but also some things I don't mind (I actually like the stuff in the center of the playfield for the most part). Insert art has legible text that doesn't look squished anywhere and I like the little icons that often accompany the insert text. The top of the playfield looks blurry and I don't really understand what it is, but that's probably all going to be hard to see anyway. If I try to "fill up" the parts of the playfield that are going to be covered in my brain and ignore the big black LCD screen I think this game will look pretty good, can't wait to see it lit up and populated.

Right now I'm feeling it's a 7/10. It certainly doesn't detract from the game like we see sometimes.

#3841 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I swear pinside is a place more to argue about art then to talk about pinball.

That's half the fun!

Quoted from jgentry:

Overall the playfield is not at all what I expected but at the same time I think I like most of it.

That seems to be the most common reaction I've found. I did something different. Not everyone is going to like it, but most of the reactions seem to be positive, but also have that "not what I expected" part too. I'm good with that.

Pinside likes to process things out loud. I know I do. I enjoy the initial reactions, and the way people articulate how it makes them feel. And then watching to see if any of that changes after things settle in.

Someone a few pages back said this reminded them of early 80s solid state art, and that's definitely a big influence on me and how I think about pinball, so that sounds right to me. At the same time this is a modern title, and I didn't think going too nostalgic was the right move. I didn't want this to look like any other game out there if I could help it.

#3842 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I have a question: is it The final artwork or can it be still a little modified even if it could take à long time to get fox validation?

I'm sure some things will change as we build the second white wood, but probably just little things. Going through a whole new round of Fox approvals seems pretty unlikely to me, who knows how much it would delay things. So I'd say this is final for the most part.

#3843 3 years ago

To me it's not enough Giger in it for a alien theme.
Compare to the Backglas I was hoping to see more of his design or more aliens...

Overall rather lukewarm IMHO.

#3844 3 years ago

I guess its in the eye of the beholder. I think it looks fantastic! Aurich killed it for what he had to work with. I love the upper playfield alien the best. This pin is going to pop. Great job Aurich and team. Im sure Andrew shat his pants when he first saw it. I know I did. Time to sell a couple of pins.

#3845 3 years ago

The top of the playfield is built from textures from an HR Giger concept drawing, and as noted will be basically covered, you're only going to get peeks of it for the most part, snatches of color and texture.

Until I see the game assembled I won't know exactly which parts, if I need to make some little changes after seeing that I will.

The hypersleep lock, the airlock/queen platform, and the big xenomorph are going to cover much of it, along with ramps and plastics etc.

#3846 3 years ago
Quoted from NFK:

To me it's not enough Giger in it for a alien theme.

There's already a pin for that.

Giger Invaders

#3847 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you want to see the image without Pinside compression click this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/full-playfield.jpg

The uncompressed (or relatively uncompressed) image looks so much better than the the flyer and banner they had at the show. I'm a bit surprised they didn't take a 50" TV with them and mount it in portrait, showing the PF image. It would have looked way better.

#3848 3 years ago

This pins biggest problem is that it isn't dedicated to one movie...specifically Alien. Both are different, and mashing two things together doesn't always give you a Reese peanut butter cup. It's not the 35th anniversary of Aliens.

I dunno...I'm still in, but it might've been easier to recreate that industrial, dirty 'space trucker' look of the first film along with some of Gigers landscapes, etc if it was dedicated.

Might be early to choose a topper, but...

birds_(resized).jpg

#3849 3 years ago

Looks great! Exceeds my expectations. Properly atmospheric. Evoking deep space and both movies without being garish and too busy. Glad I am already in on an LE. Obviously alot of thought went into this from people with knowledge of the films......and its in no way a winking self parody. Creepy science fiction tone. Fully on board.

#3850 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Compare side to side:
Original More Contrast and Brightness
Notice how the blue in the original basically blends into the red, due to the low brightness. Makes it hard to read, and when it's tiny on a playfield it'll just look like a smudge.

It won't be that tiny...it will be on a big playfield. I prefer the original to your blown out version to be honest.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24685 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside