• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 493.
#3502 3 years ago

Fair enough. Not trying to be difficult or confrontational.

I know that many, including myself, are excited for this game and have invested in it.

I just feel like I shouldn't have to check here to see what's going on with it. I understand that Heighway Pinball is busy, but it seems to me that when the customer has thousands of dollars invested, they deserve to be kept in the loop.

I am looking forward to getting the game. I think it will be great.

I have faith it will be built. I just don't feel it's fair to have to be coming to this thread (which is not something Heighway directs you to with purchase) to see what's going on.

As a wise man once said, "trust, but verify."

A prepay email list, update site etc. is more than reasonable. Please make it happen.

#3505 3 years ago

I look here for ALL updates, regardless of manufacturer. They land here within seconds even if it is not the primary release venue. It might as well be used as the source for some manufacturers.
..having said that though, I do direct to pinside threads from my website for folks to get more info. Maybe Heighway site could easily add a link to this thread? (If they don't already. I haven't checked)

#3506 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Can someone ask Aurich this question. If he had the whole playfield to do, would he also create the art himself or hire a freelance artist to work with him. It's a fair question. He's a designer, not an artist per se.

Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil (and delay) the broth.

#3507 3 years ago

Who is the guy who super exposes the play field with all the ramps and toys? Make sure he is ready!

#3508 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What else could I have gotten away with?

After seeing an Alien shooter game on location the other day, I'm guessing quite a bit. It was horrific, something I could have probably pulled off on my laptop running vista.

In regards to the pf review, is it anything in the realm of TBL? That one seemed to go over well with the crowd.

#3509 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil (and delay) the broth.

#3510 3 years ago

TBL is brilliant. Love what they did. Would be a horrible look for Alien. Nothing like it in the slightest.

#3511 3 years ago

The pinballs should be shaped like eggs!

#3512 3 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

The pinballs should be shaped like eggs!

Email all ideas (individually) to Andrew and Aurich please!

#3513 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Fair enough. Not trying to be difficult or confrontational.
I know that many, including myself, are excited for this game and have invested in it.
I just feel like I shouldn't have to check here to see what's going on with it. I understand that Heighway Pinball is busy, but it seems to me that when the customer has thousands of dollars invested, they deserve to be kept in the loop.
I am looking forward to getting the game. I think it will be great.
I have faith it will be built. I just don't feel it's fair to have to be coming to this thread (which is not something Heighway directs you to with purchase) to see what's going on.
As a wise man once said, "trust, but verify."
A prepay email list, update site etc. is more than reasonable. Please make it happen.

I see nothing wrong with Pinside being a hub for upcoming products. This site is built for the traffic and less time consuming for builders than keeping up with their own individual sites. Besides, we have their graphics designer as a captive audience here!

Spooky posts here often, JJP gets all posts funneled here ( JJP secret thread club might as well just have a direct link here!), even Stern links here. ( mostly from FB).

I'm starting to understand Andrews situation with not being able to post anything before approvals. His last post made sense. I just get nervous with silence ( as a Predator $ loser).

#3514 3 years ago

Think of Pinside as Twitter for Pinball. A great many companies put out more tidbits of info on their Twitter feeds than their official email newsletters. And the info that does go out via email tends to be done notably later than when it was released on Twitter.

Andrew is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Shooting from the hip with immediate info, and casually answering questions makes perfect sense for the Pinside medium. Considered, crafted, fleshed out newsletter-style news is better done via email and takes more time to put together.

#3515 3 years ago

This thread is 71 pages and with all the clutter and noise, I would think that the official website would be the best place to put announcements. An additional posting here would not hurt.

#3516 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Huge fan of the comic book style illustrations. Here's 10 minutes in Photoshop
alien_mockup.jpg

That backglass is awesome.

Seems like a similar scenario to the Game of Thrones mock-up that a Pinsider created.

I just don't understand why a licensor wouldn't want people to make items with the coolest art.
Gotta be a whole other world that I don't understand.

#3517 3 years ago

Not sure why people are so bent out of shape about Andrew / Aurich posting on here about what's happening. They're announcing the announcement, not publishing the playfield and other approved bits here first.

#3518 3 years ago

Good news, bad news, irrelevant news or no news - we can find a way to bitch and moan about it all.

#3519 3 years ago

Anyone else hear Alien will use 8 balls instead of 4? Can anyone at Heighway confirm? Heard it from a reliable source.

#3520 3 years ago
Quoted from Kylo_Ren:

Anyone else hear Alien will use 8 balls instead of 4?

heard it was 14, to beat Apollo 13's multiball record.

#3521 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I truly and honestly don't know what I would have done. By the time I did the playfield work it was pretty clear what I was able to work with, and so I just concentrated on that. There are no secret sketches of amazing things.
Honestly there's no saying that I would have done something better given all the choices in the world, I'm not excusing anything. Just trying to explain the process, because people might find it enlightening.

So for the LE backglass, do you have to go through the same approval process with Fox or is it left up to your own creative interpretation?

#3522 3 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

So for the LE backglass, do you have to go through the same approval process with Fox or is it left up to your own creative interpretation?

Well anything we do has to be approved. The hope though is that because the LE is the "collector" version and not the "commercial" version that we'll have more leeway.

I really couldn't say at this point and time, but given my experience with the playfield I'm feeling more confident now about making it all work out.

#3523 3 years ago

I have a feeling when artwork is released the LE's will sell out fast.

#3524 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Or the refunds will fly fast and furious, you never know!

#3525 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All you have to do is be better than GOT (not really but I thought I'd set the bar very low)

#3526 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

From seeing your work in person and from my dad getting a glimpse of some of the art from Andrews phone at Free Play Florida i doubt that will be the case. I think the LE preorder folks will be thankful they dont have to stress about getting an LE.

For me personally im looking forward to seeing the standard since id put it on location.

#3527 3 years ago

When it comes to a theme like Aliens I wouldn't care if was photo shopped pics from the films or simple generic art via ST and GOT, the sounds and gameplay are what rule for me, I doubt artwork is going to deter anyone from buying this pin.

#3528 3 years ago

How close to being done is this pin? Is there a tentative release date? Not trolling, just trying to get a sense. Art is approved on playfield but sounds like plastics / cabinet have to be started. Who's doing the code? What have they done before?

#3529 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

How close to being done is this pin? Is there a tentative release date? Not trolling, just trying to get a sense. Art is approved on playfield but sounds like plastics / cabinet have to be started. Who's doing the code? What have they done before?

That's a good question. The white wood has been around for months, & it has had improvements done to it. I remember Andrew saying the toys were done in a thread months ago, including the egg pop bumpers. Might not take that many more months to crank this thing out, & get a playable prototype.

#3530 3 years ago

Aurich, is the playfield and translite artwork vector, hand drawn/digital painting or photographic based? Or has this yet to be revealed?

#3531 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Aurich, is the playfield and translite artwork vector, hand drawn/digital painting or photographic based? Or has this yet to be revealed?

Kinda all of the above. I'm on my phone so I can't link it easily but scroll back a page or two to my long ass post and I sort of broke down all the elements.

Honestly I'm just ready for it to be out, hate talking about it. I'm guessing with the show next week that it will be Tuesday.

It's just some playfield art. I mean I hope people like it, but there's a lot more to the game coming.

I'm personally really excited about the sounds. We'll talk more about that more later I think.

#3532 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm personally really excited about the sounds. We'll talk more about that more later I think.

Too much to hope for, I'm sure, but would be super cool if Sigourney could record a few original call outs ... or you were permitted to use mash-ups of the film audio clips to suit the nature of the game.

#3533 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Too much to hope for, I'm sure, but would be super cool if Sigourney could record a few original call outs ... or you were permitted to use mash-ups of the film clips to suit the nature of the game.

I know everyone focuses on callouts, but I'm actually really looking forward to the music and sound effects more. This is a game about atmosphere, it's hopefully going to be bad ass in a darkened room. Good sounds and lighting are going to be key.

Good sound is what elevates a game. I think it's one of the prime reasons Data East games get so much crap. They just straight up have lame sound effects, and they recycled and reused them over and over, and it makes all their games feel totally similar. You can play good games, like Jurassic Park, Tommy, Last Action Hero, Tales from the Crypt, all games that are cool, but have this similar sound to them.

Compare any of them to a game like Tron. Which is fun, I love mine. But it's the sound that makes the game so amazing. (And the lighting, gotta have fiber optic. Which, by the way, we're doing for Alien. Stoked about that.)

Sound matters a lot, and I'm 100% confident that the sound on this game is going to be amazing.

We're also really excited about the lighting opportunities. Full Throttle only scratched surface of what these lights can do I think. On a game like Alien, where it's moody and dark and scary I think the RGB lighting has a real chance to shine.

Color is definitely going to matter too, it's not just window dressing. Modes use color in their rules. Color will matter for communicating other information on the playfield. And of course, we're going to have sweet window dressing.

Our animator is coming by in a couple hours, we're going to work on refining some older videos into a newer style we've developed that's better, and storyboard out the next group of animations we're going to work on. We're having a great time collaborating.

I think we're going to be the first game that has a high rez DMD, meaning the DMD era school of information display, as opposed to a dashboard full of tons of data at once. You'll pretty much always have access to your score, ball #3, number of extras balls (I added that, always wish I could just see that clearly), credits, and the other player's scores. All the vital stuff. And then we're doing animations in the DMD school way.

But now the film clips aren't crappy like OG Spider-Man or Indy 4, they're in high rez, and we have 3D animated text, and it's all nice and modern feeling as far as the screen and resolution, just with an old school spirit. And it's punchy and quick, you don't have to sit through long film clips. This is a pinball game, and it's going to be a challenging one, with 4 flippers, magnets, a ton of toys, lots of shots — you need to be watching the ball, not someone's YouTube channel of their favorite bits from ALIEN and ALIENS.

We're not ready to show animations yet, but to me it's what I want to see on these screens. And not saying anything bad about Hobbit just to be clear. It looks amazing. Really, really nice. I just personally like the approach of a more DMD-like focus, but with all the detail you can bring to a high rez screen.

For the record I think it will look great on the 27" backbox screen if you go that route. Definitely keeping in mind making it work on both screens from the very beginning, which is something Full Throttle didn't have the chance to do.

Andrew, I hope you don't mind me telling them we have a second programmer working on this with us now, and he's bringing awesome energy and good ideas to the rules. He and Brian are friends and I'm already confident they're going to be a great team on this. I spent probably a couple hours of my Saturday talking with the US side of the team, talking rules and animation and lighting and how it's all going to work together, and synching the music and sounds to it all as a cohesive package.

I don't want to mention any new names on the team, that's Andrew's role. But they're great additions, and I'm very excited about it.

I hope you like my art. But there's so much more to make this game great. I just have to not f—k it up!

(I really don't think I did for the record.)

#3534 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's just some playfield art. I mean I hope people like it, but there's a lot more to the game coming.

Yup. It's just playfield art. And it's fucking tits!

#3535 3 years ago

Re: sound I think a lot of the tension and atmosphere was what you didn't hear, as much as what you did. Lots of pinball tables (and video games) blast you with way too many effects ... sometimes some respite can be really effective.

No idea what it'll look like, but definitely keen to see how the fibre optics will turn out ...

#3536 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I'm not so convinced there are a ton left at this moment, to be quite honest......

#3537 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm not so convinced there are a ton left at this moment, to be quite honest......

Where's TeeKee?

SEND MONEY NOW!

#3538 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Good sound is what elevates a game. I think it's one of the prime reasons Data East games get so much crap. They just straight up have lame sound effects...

Not the early games imo. The sounds (and light) effects of Laser War, Time Machine or Torpedo Alley are top notch!

#3539 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The fact that any are left is something that really trips me out when you consider that other pin that sold out with a backup list 2 times bigger than the run itself...I think an official U.S. office/distro with heighway sample games avail. to play would help move enough units to justify the cost...I know, walk before you run...

#3540 3 years ago

Hope amazing jackpot call out.
This is also why i love pins like MM, LOTR etc..

#3541 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know everyone focuses on callouts, but I'm actually really looking forward to the music and sound effects more. This is a game about atmosphere, it's hopefully going to be bad ass in a darkened room. Good sounds and lighting are going to be key.

I have great hopes for Alien in this department. Happy that you prioritize the sounds.

The sounds is what I am looking the most forward to in The Hobbit, also. You have some tough competition there, but I am sure you will rise to the challenge

Quoted from rubberducks:

Too much to hope for, I'm sure, but would be super cool if Sigourney could record a few original call outs ... or you were permitted to use mash-ups of the film audio clips to suit the nature of the game.

I would love to have some Sigourney original call outs. (I have heard she is easy and great to work with) But I also think that this is a pin that will do just fine using a ton of movie quotes. (easier and cheaper) So much material to work with when you have 2 movies (and a ton of one-liners in the second one )

#3542 3 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Where's TeeKee?
SEND MONEY NOW!

Not my intent to create any haste/ justification in preorder or not....I 100% don't care one way or the other if someone gets in now or not...just stated an observation, opinion I had on how many LE's might be left....period.

#3543 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Good sound is what elevates a game. I think it's one of the prime reasons Data East games get so much crap. They just straight up have lame sound effects, and they recycled and reused them over and over, and it makes all their games feel totally similar. You can play good games, like Jurassic Park, Tommy, Last Action Hero, Tales from the Crypt, all games that are cool, but have this similar sound to them.
Compare any of them to a game like Tron. Which is fun, I love mine. But it's the sound that makes the game so amazing. (And the lighting, gotta have fiber optic. Which, by the way, we're doing for Alien. Stoked about that.)
Sound matters a lot, and I'm 100% confident that the sound on this game is going to be amazing.
We're also really excited about the lighting opportunities. Full Throttle only scratched surface of what these lights can do I think. On a game like Alien, where it's moody and dark and scary I think the RGB lighting has a real chance to shine.
Color is definitely going to matter too, it's not just window dressing. Modes use color in their rules. Color will matter for communicating other information on the playfield. And of course, we're going to have sweet window dressing.
Our animator is coming by in a couple hours, we're going to work on refining some older videos into a newer style we've developed that's better, and storyboard out the next group of animations we're going to work on. We're having a great time collaborating.
I think we're going to be the first game that has a high rez DMD, meaning the DMD era school of information display, as opposed to a dashboard full of tons of data at once. You'll pretty much always have access to your score, ball #3, number of extras balls (I added that, always wish I could just see that clearly), credits, and the other player's scores. All the vital stuff. And then we're doing animations in the DMD school way.
But now the film clips aren't crappy like OG Spider-Man or Indy 4, they're in high rez, and we have 3D animated text, and it's all nice and modern feeling as far as the screen and resolution, just with an old school spirit. And it's punchy and quick, you don't have to sit through long film clips. This is a pinball game, and it's going to be a challenging one, with 4 flippers, magnets, a ton of toys, lots of shots — you need to be watching the ball, not someone's YouTube channel of their favorite bits from ALIEN and ALIENS.
We're not ready to show animations yet, but to me it's what I want to see on these screens. And not saying anything bad about Hobbit just to be clear. It looks amazing. Really, really nice. I just personally like the approach of a more DMD-like focus, but with all the detail you can bring to a high rez screen.
For the record I think it will look great on the 27" backbox screen if you go that route. Definitely keeping in mind making it work on both screens from the very beginning, which is something Full Throttle didn't have the chance to do.
Andrew, I hope you don't mind me telling them we have a second programmer working on this with us now, and he's bringing awesome energy and good ideas to the rules. He and Brian are friends and I'm already confident they're going to be a great team on this. I spent probably a couple hours of my Saturday talking with the US side of the team, talking rules and animation and lighting and how it's all going to work together, and synching the music and sounds to it all as a cohesive package.
I don't want to mention any new names on the team, that's Andrew's role. But they're great additions, and I'm very excited about it.
I hope you like my art. But there's so much more to make this game great. I just have to not f—k it up!
(I really don't think I did for the record.)

Great info but Aurich you act so unprofessional. Asking in a thread if you can share info that you already are sharing is downright wrong. You should be talking to Andrew first before revealing all this stuff . You act like this is all about you and man you are loving the spotlight. But this is Andrews pin and you keep standing in front of it and revealing stuff without even checking with him. Andrew is one of the nicest guys out there but you are totally taking advantage. Is his marketing plan to just have Aurich spill stuff ahead of reveal? I doubt it man. Your time to talk is soon but just do your boss a favor and respect him a bit more. He's got me on ignore so how about someone else copy and paste this.

#3544 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

The fact that any are left is something that really trips me out when you consider that other pin that sold out with a backup list 2 times bigger than the run itself...I think an official U.S. office/distro with heighway sample games avail. to play would help move enough units to justify the cost...I know, walk before you run...

Not sure why that trips you out. RZ has been fully revealed with game play and artwork. Alien is still a complete unknown from a company that is just now about to really start shipping their first pin. I'm much more surprised people committed to an 8K+ LE completely sight unseen. I played Full Throttle at expo and liked it enough to order one from Cointaker but it will likely be at least another month before I have it. I hope Alien is awesome and if it is I'll get one, no way I'm sending money or committing until I can see the game and preferably get to play it. Based on Full Throttles time line Alien is likely still a ways off anyway.

#3545 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Great info but Aurich you act so unprofessional. Asking in a thread if you can share info that you already are sharing is downright wrong. You should be talking to Andrew first before revealing all this stuff . You act like this is all about you and man you are loving the spotlight. But this is Andrews pin and you keep standing in front of it and revealing stuff without even checking with him. Andrew is one of the nicest guys out there but you are totally taking advantage. Is his marketing plan to just have Aurich spill stuff ahead of reveal? I doubt it man. Your time to talk is soon but just do your boss a favor and respect him a bit more. He's got me on ignore so how about someone else copy and paste this.

dude do us all a favor and go drink a bottle of sleeping pills. you are all over the place, reckless in behavior. you are totally out of control, remember what happened to you on klov??? you need to take a step back, a breather. take a few days off and think about why you are here on pinside. if you really like pins you wouldn't want what happened to you on klov to happen to you here. kapish?

#3546 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

You know he's ignoring you - so why do you bother ?

#3547 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Was about to (deleted)

Forget it. Made a 2016 resolution to be nice to everyone, Kaneda included, for 1 month.
I hate January!

#3548 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm much more surprised people committed to an 8K+ LE completely sight unseen.

I think I can explain it, at least for me in a sea of TV shows and films that I don't follow, super hero's that do nothing for me and old rock bands which I include RZ in that I don't listen to and never will its very rare that a theme comes up in pinball as cool as Aliens. Predator is in that realm as would be Blade Runner, Slayer, Running Man/Total recall, Robocop (done properly) etc. I gladly paid for a LE in full, who knows how long it will take before I get another pin with a cool theme. OK, Ghostbusters and Starwars are coming, TWD and ST are good themes but plaqued to some degree with Sternitis disease, JMO mind you.

#3549 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm much more surprised people committed to an 8K+ LE completely sight unseen

I committed $1500, refundable dollars, to a dream theme ( for me). If I don't like it, I sell it ( highly doubtful). This guarantees me a machine, and the LE is their best offering....kind of simple....

#3550 3 years ago

Le ordered

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside