• 24,633 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 minutes ago by Dee-Bow
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24633 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 493.
#3401 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Not to sound ominous, but iv'e always wondered about the succession plan of these pinball companies...hopefully a woman takes over one someday so I can get "my little pony" MLPLE

I think you'd have better luck of a Brony takes the helm. They're probably just as, if not more so, passionate about MLP.

#3402 3 years ago

For Aurich's sake, this pf art better be awesome. I'm guessing it is...but when you have a studio approving that can handcuff you a bit.

#3403 3 years ago

Not to sound ominous, but iv'e always wondered about the succession plan of these pinball companies...hopefully a woman takes over one someday so I can get "my little pony" MLPLE

Yeah, and to think, that's what our biggest concern was with Jpop back in the day. Did he have a key man policy!

#3404 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Sólo tienes que llamar. El correo electrónico no es el mejor canal de comunicación si quiere respuestas rápidas.

i'll like it, but my english is very very poor, i need very much time for write this words, and, i cant speak english for talk by phone

snif snif.

#3405 3 years ago

I'm sure the PF will look great. Aurich knows what he's doing.

#3406 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Did he have a key man policy!

I know, this is the same way I feel every time I pop open my safe and feel like Dutch from commando, I think what the hell are my girls gonna do with all this someday...Oh Wait, Commando pin Andrew? "What happened to Sully?....I let him go!" "I eat green Berets for breakfast" "Let off some steam Bennett"

#3407 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That's great timing with the EAG International Show in London from 12-14th*.
*which Heighway are attending.

Doubt they'll reveal on Monday. Show starts on Tuesday.

I know, but you can always hope

#3408 3 years ago
Quoted from nonik:

sure? i sent an email the last day 2 of January, im still waiting a response, im not in a hurry, but, if im thinking to buy a pinball, its very very much money, and, i want a good service.
Now, i have doubts about it.

Apologies, I have just found your email in our junk box. I will email you now.

Please feel free to email me directly at andrew@heighwaypinball.com in the future

#3409 3 years ago

I actually parted with my Metallica <tears> for cash to put toward the LE. Glad to hear once I forward some money, I won't have to wait long to see some art. It worked out even better than I had hoped!

#3410 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

For Aurich's sake, this pf art better be awesome. I'm guessing it is...but when you have a studio approving that can handcuff you a bit.

Essay incoming!

I did not have complete freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted, it's true. I had certain tools in a box, and I had to build using those tools. That's okay, it's the nature of the beast, it comes with the territory. I'm utterly comfortable working like that, I'm a commercial designer, my clients often provide me with assets that I need to incorporate.

Part of the process taking so long was it's an old film, and the assets for it took some hunting down. There was a lot of back and forth. It was a slow process. Approvals took longer than expected. But we persisted and we've pushed through to a major milestone now.

If I had complete freedom would I have done it differently? Sure, why not. But the whole team is really excited about where we are now. There's a lot that was depending on these approvals, and now we're free to push forward.

This is a game that's going to be heavily about atmosphere, it's dark, we want to do a lot with the lighting and LCD screen, it was important that the playfield be moody.

But at the same time no one wants things in pinball to be too dark. So I tried to strike a balance. It's about space, and stars, but it's also about claustrophobia. It's dark, but it needs colors. There needs to be military elements, and the artwork and style of the marines. And it needs to be not just all black and green. We've done that for the Standard side and backglass already, no one wants a monochrome game.

I worked in Photoshop and Illustrator. There are assets straight from the film, assets pulled from original HR Geiger concept drawings, i did original paintings and original drawings (digital on my Wacom tablet), and even bits taken from Alien comic books that I was allowed to use as resources. I basically pushed out where I could, wherever we were able to document our sources, so that what we submitted was backed by the assets we were allowed to use.

I'll say this: while it took a really long time for Fox to approve it, and I'll admit that I was getting nervous, they didn't ask for a single change. Not one. We really carefully documented everything, showed the origin of everything, and in the end after running through the process they said "good to go".

So even though the waiting was a little nerve wracking, and it's one of the reasons this thread has seen so little updates lately, in the end the process was actually very fast. Could have easily been a lot longer even with faster approval times, but lots of back and forth changes.

Summary for too long reading:

The playfield is a real mix of assets and drawing and whatever I thought I could get away with. I know some people expressed a little disappointment that the egg backglass, while a classic image, was kind of a "known" element already. The playfield doesn't look like any Alien product I've ever seen before, it's a wholly new look. I hope people are happy with it.

#3411 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Essay incoming!
I did not have complete freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted, it's true. I had certain tools in a box, and I had to build using those tools. That's okay, it's the nature of the beast, it comes with the territory. I'm utterly comfortable working like that, I'm a commercial designer, my clients often provide me with assets that I need to incorporate.
Part of the process taking so long was it's an old film, and the assets for it took some hunting down. There was a lot of back and forth. It was a slow process. Approvals took longer than expected. But we persisted and we've pushed through to a major milestone now.
If I had complete freedom would I have done it differently? Sure, why not. But the whole team is really excited about where we are now. There's a lot that was depending on these approvals, and now we're free to push forward.
This is a game that's going to be heavily about atmosphere, it's dark, we want to do a lot with the lighting and LCD screen, it was important that the playfield be moody.
But at the same time no one wants things in pinball to be too dark. So I tried to strike a balance. It's about space, and stars, but it's also about claustrophobia. It's dark, but it needs colors. There needs to be military elements, and the artwork and style of the marines. And it needs to be not just all black and green. We've done that for the Standard side and backglass already, no one wants a monochrome game.
I worked in Photoshop and Illustrator. There are assets straight from the film, assets pulled from original HR Geiger concept drawings, i did original paintings and original drawings (digital on my Wacom tablet), and even bits taken from Alien comic books that I was allowed to use as resources. I basically pushed out where I could, wherever we were able to document our sources, so that what we submitted was backed by the assets we were allowed to use.
I'll say this: while it took a really long time for Fox to approve it, and I'll admit that I was getting nervous, they didn't ask for a single change. Not one. We really carefully documented everything, showed the origin of everything, and in the end after running through the process they said "good to go".
So even though the waiting was a little nerve wracking, and it's one of the reasons this thread has seen so little updates lately, in the end the process was actually very fast. Could have easily been a lot longer even with faster approval times, but lots of back and forth changes.
The playfield is a real mix of assets and drawing and whatever I thought I could get away with. I know some people expressed a little disappointment that the egg backglass, while a classic image, was kind of a "known" element already. The playfield doesn't look like any Alien product I've ever seen before, it's a wholly new look. I hope people are happy with it.

If it's approved, can we see it now?

#3412 3 years ago

er, next week....

#3413 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

If it's approved, can we see it now?

They're not going to 'launch' it on Pinside on a Friday evening when they're attending a major arcade and commercial amusements show in London from Tuesday to Thursday next week ...

#3414 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They're not going to 'launch' it on Pinside on a Friday evening when they're attending a major arcade and commercial amusements show in London from Tuesday to Thursday next week ...

Isn't Friday evening when most launches happen?

#3415 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Essay incoming!

Bro, this is your product and you are marketing this pin for Heighway. Why even say this?

"If I had complete freedom would I have done it differently? Sure, why not."

Be 100% excited about the product and get the fans hyped!

#3416 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Essay incoming!

Approval the first time of asking is testament to the effort and attention to detail that must have been put in. Made up for you and cannot wait for the big reveal

#3417 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Approval the first time of asking is testament to the effort and attention to detail that must have been put in. Made up for you and cannot wait for the big reveal

This or they were just happy a pinball company actually asked permission first vs that idiot Kevin who stole their IP. But I'm sure this pin is gonna look awesome. I love when Aurich talks about it being a mood/atmosphere they were going for. Spot on. Sometimes I feel like people just clutter playfields with as many assets as possible. But that feeling of space / claustrophobia is what makes Alien...Alien. Game is gonna rock.

#3418 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Bro, this is your product and you are marketing this pin for Heighway. Why even say this?
Be 100% excited about the product and get the fans hyped!

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations and think the licensee and artists can do whatever they like. Dealing with those people is as much a part of marketing and CS as those who want to hear untamed, relentless enthusiasm or those who think it'll be another clip-art art package. A lot of us like to hear both sides of the developmental process.

Anyway, they shouldn't need too much help on the marketing front. It really is huge for them that they had approval before the show on Tuesday. Doesn't mean the machine will go into production much sooner than if it took another 2 months. But they get much more 'free' industry and media exposure.

#3419 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations and think the licensee and artists can do whatever they like. Dealing with those people is as much a part of marketing and CS as those who want to hear untamed, relentless enthusiasm or those who think it'll be another clip-art art package. A lot of us like to hear both sides of the developmental process.
Anyway, they shouldn't need too much help on the marketing front. It really is huge for them that they had approval before the show on Monday. Doesn't mean the machine will go into production much sooner than if it took another 2 months. But they get much more 'free' industry and media exposure.

I think we all know the limitations of working with a license...aka every Stern made. But what's most exciting about having Aurich on board is I feel he knows design and has a vision of how to work best with studio assets. Stern has had a tendency to just drop stuff all over the playfield. That being said...I still think Aurich should let the playfield and art go out first before explaining it. Let people make up their minds / see it before putting thoughts in their head.

#3420 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Whoever you're talking to is on my ignore list, so I don't know what the question was and probably don't care, but you're dead on with your answer.

Look, the world is full of awesome illustrators. Lots of people with more raw drawing talent than I have. I enjoy drawing, I do my own work, but I don't think it's my strength.

I'm a creative director. I manage people and assets and styleguides and rules and all the considerations. I've been using Photoshop for over two decades, and I'm good at what I do.

But dealing with a license means that you're playing in someone else's sandbox. You can't do whatever you like, it simply doesn't work that way. There are project managers and lawyers who have to approve all your moves.

You can't please everyone. I'm sure there will be people who wish the playfield looked like something else. That's life. All I can do is work with what I have, do the best job I can given the circumstances, avoid the things that I'm personally critical of and not a fan of, and hope that I make the majority of the people happy.

So far everyone who's had a chance to see it has liked it, and I'm glad, but I can't expect that streak to continue indefinitely.

If you don't like it feel free to say so. I have thick skin, and I can take it. And I'm happy to engage in a dialogue or explain things. That's the fun of a forum. As long as it doesn't violate something I'm not allowed to talk about I'm easy. Chances are the thing you wish I could have done simply wasn't possible, but you never know.

#3421 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Whoever you're talking to is on my ignore list, so I don't know what the question was and probably don't care, but you're dead on with your answer.
Look, the world is full of awesome illustrators. Lots of people with more raw drawing talent than I have. I enjoy drawing, I do my own work, but I don't think it's my strength.
I'm a creative director. I manage people and assets and styleguides and rules and all the considerations. I've been using Photoshop for over two decades, and I'm good at what I do.
But dealing with a license means that you're playing in someone else's sandbox. You can't do whatever you like, it simply doesn't work that way. There are project managers and lawyers who have to approve all your moves.
You can't please everyone. I'm sure there will be people who wish the playfield looked like something else. That's life. All I can do is work with what I have, do the best job I can given the circumstances, avoid the things that I'm personally critical of and not a fan of, and hope that I make the majority of the people happy.
If you don't like it feel free to say so. I have thick skin, and I can take it. And I'm happy to engage in a dialogue or explain things. That's the fun of a forum. As long as it doesn't violate something I'm not allowed to talk about I'm easy.

Good art gets a reaction and we're not short of those on pinside. I'm sure it's going to look great.

#3422 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you don't like it feel free to say so. I have thick skin, and I can take it. And I'm happy to engage in a dialogue or explain things. That's the fun of a forum. As long as it doesn't violate something I'm not allowed to talk about I'm easy.

Aurich, curious, how big was the team over on FOX's end that approved this? Think he's ignoring me, so can someone else ask?

#3423 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Think he's ignoring me

ya think?

#3424 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You can probably imagine who that might be!

He wants to give you the $500 difference you would have paid on the SMVE

And he has this question for you,

Quoted from kaneda:curious, how big was the team over on FOX's end that approved this?

#3425 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You can probably imagine who that might be!
He wants to give you the $500 difference you would have paid on the SMVE
And he has this question for you,

I know I can be annoying at times ...but ignoring users is even more annoying. You miss half the discussion. Can't claim to have thick skin and use ignore at the same time. Come on Aurich, let's make SMVE happen!!! I'll make it $550!

#3426 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Essay incoming!

Aurich. This all sounds interesting, and sort of complicated... Can you show us a picture so we'll better understand?! You know, a picture says 1000 words! Congrats on overcoming a major hurdle.

#3427 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Come on Aurich

Quoted from kaneda:

Aurich, curious

Quoted from kaneda:

I love when Aurich talks

Quoted from kaneda:

I still think Aurich

Anyone else find this disturbing? This was compiled from this one page alone, imagine if someone compiled every single one from this thread and all other threads...It would be enough to compose a multi page thread itself.

#3428 3 years ago

Kandea keeps trying to kiss Aurich's ass, long after he's been ignored by him.

So sad....

#3429 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll say this: while it took a really long time for Fox to approve it, and I'll admit that I was getting nervous, they didn't ask for a single change. Not one.

Does that make you feel like you could have pushed the envelope a little bit more? Not that you didn't, its just one of those things that would be going through my mind, that is if I had held back a little in fear of them being too strict. I always hate it when someone jumps on an item I have for sale or in this case fails to push back at all, it makes me think I left something on the table.

#3430 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

It's called honesty. Heard of it?

#3431 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Does that make you feel like you could have pushed the envelope a little bit more? Not that you didn't, its just one of those things that would be going through my mind, that is if I had held back a little in fear of them being to strict. I always hate it when someone jumps on an item I have for sale or in this case fails to push back at all, it makes me think I left something on the table.

I'll just about guarantee that even if Aurich was given 100% free reign, after release, he would see several things he'd change if he could do it again. An artist is always his/her own worst critic. Frank Frazetta's son did an interview an interview once and he talked about Frank going back and repainting some of his old paintings, sometimes several times and years after they were used for what they were first commissioned for.

#3432 3 years ago

Anyone else find this disturbing? This was compiled from this one page alone, imagine if someone compiled every single one from this thread and all other threads...It would be enough to compose a multi page thread itself.

Do what half of pinside has done and use the ignore feature. After doing that the RZ thread shrunk in half. If people would quit quoting him I wouldn't even have to see the "ignored user comment"

#3433 3 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I'll just about guarantee that even if Aurich was given 100% free reign, after release, he would see several things he'd change if he could do it again. An artist is always his/her own worst critic. Frank Frazetta's son did an interview an interview once and he talked about Frank going back and repainting some of his old paintings, sometimes several times and years after they were used for what they were first commissioned for.

Yah, you're right on that. My wife paints and she has always had trouble with getting to that sweet spot where she wants to make it perfect, but its only gets worse as she continues to make changes. Its an art in itself to know when its good enough or as good as its going to get.

#3434 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

See, there was never anything to really worry about. Imagine what else you might have been able to get away with.

I'm sure it didn't reach FOX CEO level but hey, "no changes" is always a good thing to hear regardless of what you do, must mean you are doing a lot right

#3435 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Yah, you're right on that. My wife paints and she has always had trouble with getting to that sweet spot where she wants to make it perfect, but its only gets worse as she continues to make changes. Its an art in itself to know when its good enough or as good as its going to get.

I was thinking the same.

If the production schedule allows it, I'd certainly be thinking about what else I could sneak through. Not redoing the whole thing, but details and flourishes here and there.

#3436 3 years ago

We're talking about the art and he did the art. Should I call him by another name?

#3437 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I know I can be annoying at times ...but ignoring users is even more annoying. You miss half the discussion. Can't claim to have thick skin and use ignore at the same time. Come on Aurich, let's make SMVE happen!!! I'll make it $550!

You don't really annoy me Kaneda. You definitely have a bad case of "diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain" like most of us at times, but you just have A LOT more challenges in that department.

I'll say this, you take a LOT of shit pretty well. That of course you bring onto yourself when you talk out of your ass mostly but hey I find it entertaining and it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around. You sir, are on your own island!

Why don't you just paypal Aurich the $550? Even though he has you on ignore I'm sure he'd appreciate the gesture.

#3438 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Do what half of pinside has done and use the ignore feature. After doing that the RZ thread shrunk in half. If people would quit quoting him I wouldn't even have to see the "ignored user comment"

The thread is not the only thing that shrunk in half when you ignored me

#3439 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You don't really annoy me Kaneda. You definitely have a bad case of "diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain" like most of us at times, but you just have A LOT more challenges in that department.
I'll say this, you take a LOT of shit pretty well. That of course you bring onto yourself when you talk out of your ass mostly but hey I find it entertaining and it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around. You sir, are on your own island!
Why don't you just paypal Aurich the $550? Even though he has you on ignore I'm sure he'd appreciate the gesture.

I would...but only if he orders a SMVE! I just find it funny that people would want to ignore others on this forum. ICE, you hear every word I say and is it really something you have to run and hide from?

#3440 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I would...but only if he orders a SMVE! I just find it funny that people would want to ignore others on this forum. ICE, you hear every word I say and is it really something you have to run and hide from?

I'm going to hate myself; but it's kind of like a yapping dog. Sometimes you just need the break from the CONSTANT noise.

#3441 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Quoted from Aurich:

There are assets straight from the film, assets pulled from original HR Geiger concept drawings, i did original paintings and original drawings (digital on my Wacom tablet), and even bits taken from Alien comic books that I was allowed to use as resources.

Quoted from Aurich:

they didn't ask for a single change. Not one.

These points, in particular, actually make me very excited to spend a fairly large amount of money. That's not a way I feel very often

Anyone else find this disturbing?

Yes. Absolutely.

#3442 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

It's not anything malicious or mean spirited it's just some people think you are annoying as shit! It happens to the best of us. Maybe Aurich will change his mind over time. He's a great guy.

When you act like a little chihuhua barking all the time and driving people crazy sometimes they want to put the little chihuhua under the front wheel and roll back and forth over it. I'm sure you are a good dude and mean well.

You are a thinker Kaneda, like Shaq and Aristotle.

If you do the "Big Apple Pineda Podcast" then you might get an actual interview from Aurich and Andrew!

#3443 3 years ago

I think I'm gonna like this ignored user comment stuff.

#3444 3 years ago

As a big Alien fan I'm looking forward to this pin. Hope we get to see more next week.

#3445 3 years ago
Quoted from Kylo_Ren:

As a big Alien fan I'm looking forward to this pin. Hope we get to see more next week.

Next week you may be in luck.

#3446 3 years ago

Thanks Andrew, i received your email, and thanks to this forum for your help!

#3447 3 years ago
Quoted from nonik:

Thanks Andrew, i received your email, and thanks to this forum for your help!

There's some positivity!!! I was getting tired of seeing all the new posts be "Ignored User Comment" and complaints on the day of the big announcement no less.

#3448 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

We're talking about the art and he did the art. Should I call him by another name?

It's the unrelenting one sided conversations you keep trying to have with someone who ignored you. It just makes me feel kind of dirty every time I see it and its not even directed towards me.

But the rest of you are correct, I am getting played by responding to and quoting this guy which is creating nothing but noise in this thread and others. For that I apologize, and promise not to do it anymore in 16' and beyond.

Looking forward to the pf reveal! Fox not wanting to change a single thing sounds very positive!

#3449 3 years ago

How many of you guys have deposits down? Think the LE will sell out once art is revealed? Trying to decide on this pin.

#3450 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

There's some positivity!!! I was getting tired of seeing all the new posts be "Ignored User Comment" and complaints on the day of the big announcement no less.

Well get over it, been waiting a long time. But I get your frustration.

Kylo, the pf reveal is next week so your timing is good but I think there are 499 LE deposits down, including my own, that means only 1 left so you better decide quickly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 24633 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside