DSC_3440 (resized).JPG
IMG_1365 (resized).JPEG
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240523_150113027 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240523_150107926 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,158 posts in this topic. You are on page 603 of 604.
#30101 42 days ago

I feel the thread title should be changed, it's clearly not game over for OG Alien(The best btw)!!!

#30102 41 days ago

Even though I traded my Heighway Alien for the PB Ellen Ripley version, I still keep tabs in this thread out of habit. I always knew Averell would come thru with the ER coded version eventually. Such as asset to the Alien pinball community, no matter what version you have. Thank you sir!

#30103 41 days ago

Hello everyone,

I have spent the last few months working on the "old" set of rules and have gathered all kinds of information that now goes far beyond the actual set of rules.
Due to the existing and evolved structure, I have decided to issue the document as a "Rulesheet & User Guide" in the future.
I have made a small detour in this regard in the introduction so that it is understandable.
The document has now expanded to over 260 pages.
We have a detailed table of contents and dynamic cross-references. I have highlighted the latter to make it easier to read.
The document is divided into 30 chapters, contains over 280 figures and more than 40 tables.
I have revised many of the contents several times and also improved the images where possible.
I would also like to point out that I am not a native speaker and perhaps the English is a little "different" here and there, but I have used all the means at my disposal to round things off.
I rotated the large PCB plans in the document for A3, which has to be taken into account when printing.
To ensure that the large A3 pages fit into the A4 document, they are printed with fold marks.
I plan to release the document this week, so I'll do a test print tomorrow and a final correction to check layout, page breaks or any remaining typos.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#30104 41 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

And here we go... the long awaited update of the Ripley Edition is ready for download.
ENJOY!!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f8jb85999dz0b3RT-GeXiH5B5xS9jHjb/view?usp=drive_link

BEYOND BELIEF - the OG Ripley version is ridiculously good. All I can say is - Queens Nest , when you’re hitting the pop bumpers to destroy eggs , WOW. One of the many, many highlights.
I haven’t even seen half the modes yet, but I will be playing through them all, Averell is a genius .
New lease of life for the OG.

#30105 40 days ago

Well done Averell. You have just made the dream of many of us come true. Having Ripley on our beautiful pinball machine fills me with joy. I would like to congratulate you for all the work you have accomplished. A big thank-you

#30106 37 days ago

Good morning Nerds

Here's the newest revision of the ALIEN Rulesheet & User Guide - Rev. 1.4

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11-SpoPkU9jfswaL7E4YiukH_Tna49KLF/view?usp=drive_link

Enjoy!!!

#30107 35 days ago

finally got home from vacation and first thing im going to do is update the code !

#30108 34 days ago

Hi
Has anyone had trouble installing the Ripley update? because I followed as agreed by nethawk86.
I downloaded it then put it in my 32GB key

formatted in fat32 then plug into my Alien after updating in the settings? it restarts but does not install?
do you have to decompress the file first?

#30109 34 days ago
Quoted from enzare45:

Hi
Has anyone had trouble installing the Ripley update? because I followed as agreed by nethawk86.
formatted in fat32 then plug into my Alien after updating in the settings? it restarts but does not install?

make sure file in the root and nothing else on it, for me 32gb USB drive didnt work, had to get a 16gb.

Thanks to Averill I have once again turned on my Alien and started to enjoy it all over again. Im so glad I didnt sell and get the PB Ellen Ripley. The big screen in the head, and playfield make it so immersive. And it could just be me, but it seems like the new code somehow improved sound quality even more?
IMG_1365 (resized).JPEGIMG_1365 (resized).JPEG

#30110 34 days ago

Size of USB doesn't matter, but FAT32 must be.
And use one of the USB3.0 Slots.

#30111 34 days ago
Quoted from enzare45:

Hi

Make sure the file ends in its original .upd format and is the only thing on the drive and use 1 of the 3.0 slots on the computer. I ran a extension cable in mine to the front of the machine coin door so i just plug from there.

#30112 33 days ago

Decided to install a new SSD wl fresh 1.4 image before applying @averell’s phenomenal Ripley update. during the work somehow shorted a LED. And of course my few spares appear to be dead. Checked my old sources (Freeplay, Mr. Australia, etc.) but can’t find them for sale anywhere. Twister do you still provide raw materials? No problem soldering the components. Any other ideas where to source?

#30113 33 days ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

Decided to install a new SSD wl fresh 1.4 image before applying @averell’s phenomenal Ripley update. during the work somehow shorted a LED. And of course my few spares appear to be dead. Checked my old sources (Freeplay, Mr. Australia, etc.) but can’t find them for sale anywhere. Twister do you still provide raw materials? No problem soldering the components. Any other ideas where to source?

I have some in Australia

#30114 33 days ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

I've been replacing the WS2812B 5050 SMD chip on the existing PCBs, though you might need a video microscope if your eyesight is like mine. The old chip can be levered off quite easily and it breaks in half. Soldering the new one in place is fiddly but doable, and is an option if you can't get hold of a new one.

#30115 33 days ago
Quoted from enzare45:

Hi

See reference to the install, is there a step by step somewhere for downloading and updating the code please?

#30116 33 days ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

I have a million extra parts, if this is just a simple LED board hit me up and I'm sure I can locate and spare whatever you need(just FYI I'm out of town until tomorrow so might not respond until I get back)

#30117 33 days ago
Quoted from bemmett:

See reference to the install, is there a step by step somewhere for downloading and updating the code please?

GAME RELATED FILES

RULESHEET REV 1.4:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11-SpoPkU9jfswaL7E4YiukH_Tna49KLF/view?usp=drive_link

RECOVERY IMAGE FOR REINSTALL (Includes ALL software updates in 1 fresh install package):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v441My4EvZwLrLlhkz3NL2dJdbpzNFPE?usp=drive_link

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPDATE VERSION(S) IN ORDER FROM YOUR CURRENT VERSION (i.e. You have v1.1 installed currently, you must install 1.2 first, then you can go to 1.3 or 1.4 directly from 1.2) OR DO FRESH INSTALL USING ONLY RECOVERY IMAGE ABOVE WHICH INCLUDES ALL UPDATES BUT WILL DELETE EVERYTHING. SEE RULESHEET 1.4 PG.211 FOR FRESH INSTALL

1.1 UPDATE:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/6419/2017_ALIEN_Standard_Edition_Hpa11_upd_compiled_PC_file_and_change_log.zip

1.2 UPDATE:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/6419/2017_ALIEN_Standard_Edition_Hpa12_upd_compiled_PC_file_and_change_log.zip

1.3 UPDATE: (You can skip this and go directly to 1.4)
https://www.ipdb.org/files/6419/2017_ALIEN_Standard_Edition_Hpa13_upd_compiled_PC_file_and_change_log.zip

1.4 UPDATE:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/6419/2017_ALIEN_Standard_Edition_Hpa14_upd_compiled_PC_file_and_change_log.zip

AVERELL RIPLEY UPDATE 1.4R (Must have GAME SOFTWARE version 1.4 installed):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f8jb85999dz0b3RT-GeXiH5B5xS9jHjb/view?usp=drive_link

** IMPORTANT: THIS CODE SHOULD ONLY BE INSTALLED ON MACHINES THAT ALREADY HAVE SOFTWARE 1.0 OR HIGHER! ** Using this package on machines with any 0.xx code version may cause serious problems with your machine.
To update your game software:
1) Download the update package file, "hpa12.upd", and copy it onto a (FAT32 formatted) USB thumb drive. Please ensure that this is the only *.upd file on the thumb drive -- delete any other .upd files that might be on this drive.
2) Insert the USB drive into a USB port on the game's CPU. (Note: you can make your life a lot easier by purchasing a USB extension cord, and running it from a USB port on the CPU to somewhere near the coin door.)
3) Enter the operator menu, and navigate to Actions > System Update.
4) Press Enter. The screen should advise you to insert your USB drive (which you already did) and press Enter to apply.
5) Press Enter. The update should be very quick, just a few seconds, after which the game will automatically reboot into the new software.
6) Verify that the installation was successful: the game and video software revisions on the startup screen and first operator screen should show "1.2".
7) Next install the "1.3", then the "1.4", and then the "1.4r" RIPLEY version in their proper sequence if desired.
8) Verify on the startup screen what installed version you have operating.

#30118 28 days ago

Thanks
Works great

DSC_3440 (resized).JPGDSC_3440 (resized).JPG
#30119 28 days ago

If you find any glitches, please let me know and I will try to improve If I can.

#30120 28 days ago

it's ok for me the Ripley version is installed Averell it was my usb key which was causing the problem I changed the usb key and it works so happy! it's great! incredible new sound and new videos! thank you for all this great work. thank you for those who gave valuable explanations to install the code, well done to all.

#30121 25 days ago

Has the new code ripley or some new video clips ?

#30122 25 days ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

Has the new code ripley or some new video clips ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/602#post-8191963

Also, all files changed are listed in Averells manual which you can find the download link to here in this forum.

#30123 23 days ago

Edit: I did all of the following and now the front right flipper doesn’t work(top right does) but now it’s just a black screen on every reboot. 4/4

I’ll do some searching but if anybody has known info to quickly share it would be appreciated.

Original post:
Advice would be appreciated.

I haven't updated my LE for a long time. Currently it is as below:

S/W Date 12/16/2022
SV. 3.10
Game Rev. 3.1
Video Rev 3.0
Hardware Rev. 0.04
Firmware Rev. 0.71

From looking at the pages, am I correct in following these steps:
-Update from 3.1 to 3.2
-SKIP 4.0, and Update right to 4.1
-Update to Firmware 0.72
-Update to 4.1.1, then to 4.1.2
?

Also all of this Ripley edition sounds awesome, I'm assuming after I'm all updated then I can start to read up on how to update that?

Thank you for any help.

#30124 23 days ago

Do you have Heighway or PB Alien?
This is for Heighway only!

#30126 23 days ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Edit: I did all of the following and now the front right flipper doesn’t work(top right does) but now it’s just a black screen on every reboot. 4/4
I’ll do some searching but if anybody has known info to quickly share it would be appreciated.
Original post:
S/W Date 12/16/2022
SV. 3.10
Game Rev. 3.1
Video Rev 3.0
Hardware Rev. 0.04
Firmware Rev. 0.71
-Update from 3.1 to 3.2
-Update to Firmware 0.72
?
Also all of this Ripley edition sounds awesome, I'm assuming after I'm all updated then I can start to read up on how to update that?
Thank you for any help.

Talking about Game Over.

#30127 23 days ago

Now you must do a rescue backup!
PB Alien can be updated with Ripley content from Delta 4 and higher!
Read the instructions on PBs homepage.

!!! AGAIN !!!

HW is not compatible with PB and vice versa.
They both have the same xx.upd files so be careful!

#30128 23 days ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Original post:
S/W Date 12/16/2022
SV. 3.10
Game Rev. 3.1
Video Rev 3.0
Hardware Rev. 0.04
Firmware Rev. 0.71
-Update from 3.1 to 3.2
-Update to Firmware 0.72
?
Thank you for any help.

You absolute helmet.

#30129 21 days ago

I have to make my own cables for this connector - but I can't figure out what brand/model/type it is?
Pitch seems to be about 1.5mm.

2024-03-27 19.21.27 (resized).jpg2024-03-27 19.21.27 (resized).jpg
#30130 21 days ago

Search for JST connectors...

#30131 20 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Search for JST connectors...

I did ... there are 100000 to choose from apparently
Averell do you know which series or model is used here?

Screenshot_20240624_085533_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240624_085533_Chrome (resized).jpg
#30132 20 days ago

Unfortunately not, but it will help to measure the pin space and compare the picture to the connector housing.

Search for JST PH6P and compare the data sheet with your picture.

#30133 19 days ago

Here's a small I/O Board Tester that our colleague Per once made on a perforated grid, which you can use to conveniently test an I/O board for functions.
If you also have a spare mainboard, you can use it to set up a functioning test environment on your PC.
You can use it to navigate through the service menu, run updates and simulate a few game functions, for example.
The components for this are all conventional and consist of a 12V connection, a few switches, LEDs and resistors.
The most expensive item is the 96-pin VG connection, which is the counterpart to the I/O Board.
The whole thing is supposed to be a kit that can be completed using "on-board resources".
So far I have made 5 kits of these, all of which are sold out.
If anyone is interested, I could have more of these boards made.
The required components are listed in a parts list, which everyone can then organize themselves.
In the next few days I will check the circuit in a test environment to make sure that everything really works.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#30134 19 days ago

Put me down for one please.

#30135 19 days ago

I'm interested as well.

#30136 19 days ago

The current status is that the transition effects are not transferable - unfortunately.
Nevertheless, I was able to add a few more files.
I will upload the update shortly.
I have now changed the entry in the system data so that the version can be identified.
So we are starting with V1.0.
Anything that changes after that will be counted up accordingly.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#30137 19 days ago

It seems that the test board works.

IMG-20240625-WA0015 (1) (resized).jpegIMG-20240625-WA0015 (1) (resized).jpeg

#30140 17 days ago

Averell, I finally got a chance to update to the new code today and it’s awesome! Thanks so much for all the work you have put in.

#30141 17 days ago

No problem, I'm glad you like it.

#30142 17 days ago

Could someone please post a picture of the jaw servo and how it is attached/looks "in real life"?
This doesn't seem to work properly : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b6797fdvba2fr9si2qgza/2024-06-27-16.27.53.mp4?rlkey=aso19tn8upiyfbe6mwxdzn5n1&st=jdihbaaq&dl=0

#30143 17 days ago

... and verify the stepper motor connector to the PCV - blue wire to the right or blue wire to the left?

Messenger_creation_52fdf1b7-6ae9-4485-95a6-3883b42bca97 (resized).pngMessenger_creation_52fdf1b7-6ae9-4485-95a6-3883b42bca97 (resized).pngMessenger_creation_f8beeab7-048e-4129-a244-806e4e2ed190 (resized).pngMessenger_creation_f8beeab7-048e-4129-a244-806e4e2ed190 (resized).png
#30144 17 days ago

DSCN7723 (resized).JPGDSCN7723 (resized).JPG

#30145 17 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]

Thanks. That solved all my problems with the servo and stepper motor.

#30146 17 days ago

Just came across this -

#30147 15 days ago

Solution : replace R85 on (stock 1.4b) IO board #2 with a wire to bypass protection circuit.
Apparently the magnet pulled enough current to trigger it except for flings.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I have an issue with the magnet where at the start of a game the flings work fine - but when ambush starts, it stops working.
If I go into the test menu before starting a game, the magnet works.
If I start the game, start ambush and then go into the test menu, the magnet has stopped working.
A reboot is needed to get it going again.
Stock software 1.4, yes I enable the 70V when I open the coin door.
Other coils on the same IO board as the magnet work fine all the time.
Has anyone else seen this problem and perhaps found a solution?

#30148 12 days ago

Now that the new code has arrived and restarted my love/interest in my heighway alien Im starting to do upgrades /mods again
Thanks to tomDK I got those replacement LEDS for the slings, they are awesome
Anyone still making those miniature sirens for the ramps?

#30149 12 days ago

Read the latest Rulesheet & User Guide and you will find all information about who made what, etc.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ad62098RHbEYQ3vNk7nNyNlxt-zuKaxx?usp=drive_link

#30150 11 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Read the latest Rulesheet & User Guide and you will find all information about who made what, etc.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ad62098RHbEYQ3vNk7nNyNlxt-zuKaxx?usp=drive_link

Averell, I don't own an Alien, I wish and only played the new version, but your manual is just amazing. I feel like I'm reading a novel when describing everything about the movie. Tactical vehicles, initial politics... Amazing work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,499 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,158 posts in this topic. You are on page 603 of 604.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.