pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 594 of 601.
#29651 10 months ago

I will post pictures of my Alien as soon as flipperwert has repaired my 2 I/O cards

#29652 10 months ago

Will look like this one...

DSCN7223 (resized).JPGDSCN7223 (resized).JPG

DSCN7238 (resized).JPGDSCN7238 (resized).JPG

DSCN7239 (resized).JPGDSCN7239 (resized).JPG

#29653 10 months ago

good work

#29654 10 months ago

What do you think of the pinball kit fins ×4 with rings in the forum for Alien 240$ in all I find expensive?

#29655 10 months ago

can you advise me a reference and the type of usb cable needed to connect the CPU to the I/O card so that I can order the right quality cables

#29656 10 months ago

Buy shielded USB cables and always route them to the IO boards as far away from coils as possible.
Don't use USB shared ports on the mainboard and plug in USB terminals to the extension USB ports on top of the mainboard, so that you have one channel for each IO-Board.

DSCN8415 (resized).JPGDSCN8415 (resized).JPG

#29657 10 months ago

LOL at the "Inspected by Averell" sticker, nice touch.

#29658 10 months ago
Quoted from enzare45:

Thank you Averell for your quick response I will send the 2 I/O cards to Flipperwerk.
I'm still loyal to this Alien pinball machine that I've had for 5 years, Alien LE number 336# still a passion.
Thanks also to the community for being there and sharing our passion.

You've bet on the right horse....we're here!

#29660 10 months ago

5 min job to replace the poor quality USB 2 mini sockets with the right kit. I did one today.
The PIC32 on the IO's have ethernet capability. I imported the hex into MPLAB today and confirmed.
Why oh why use FT231'S UART IC's for the comms?

IMG_20230607_143237 (resized).jpgIMG_20230607_143237 (resized).jpgIMG_20230607_153339 (resized).jpgIMG_20230607_153339 (resized).jpg
#29661 10 months ago
Quoted from shaneo:

5 min job to replace the poor quality USB 2 mini sockets with the right kit. I did one today.
The PIC32 on the IO's have ethernet capability. I imported the hex into MPLAB today and confirmed.
Why oh why use FT231'S UART IC's for the comms?
[quoted image][quoted image]

So do you believe the system could be converted to ethernet ? The computer has a single rj45 connection point as I recall. Reconfig of port assignments and a small switch?

A long time dream of mine for this game...don't have the chops to pull it off myself, but majorly interested ...

#29662 10 months ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

So do you believe the system could be converted to ethernet ? The computer has a single rj45 connection point as I recall. Reconfig of port assignments and a small switch?
A long time dream of mine for this game...don't have the chops to pull it off myself, but majorly interested ...

MPF would be an easier, stabler and a more modern solution than re-engineering these boards IO boards and connected architectures.

The PIC32MX795L devices used on the IO's do have 10/100 ethernet, and the several Full Throttle and Alien IO update.hex' I imported into MPLAB today all had this configuration bit enabled, but not configured as a peripheral.
Program Flash Write Protect, Boot Flash Write Protect and Code Protect configuration bits disabled.

I also learnt these PIC32 devices have 6 UART's, which were configured as peripherals - may be why the RGB LED's are serial.

I dont' understand the related execution memory, data memory, CPU register stuff yet.

#29663 10 months ago
Quoted from TomDK:

I got 2 facehugger as a present from a well know member ... thank you !
This facehugger are for PB, anyone ever mounted them on Heighway ? It seems that the mechanik is different. So my plan is just to swap the rubber facehugger.
Did someone this before ?
Would be nice to know before I destroy them

I have some original Heighway facehuggers

#29664 10 months ago
Quoted from shaneo:

MPF would be an easier, stabler and a more modern solution than re-engineering these boards IO boards and connected architectures.

Easier? Errr, no. Stabler? Probably not. That would entail rewriting the entirety of the game's code -- rules for dozens of modes, multiballs, and misc features; all the choreography; etc. Huge undertaking.

#29665 10 months ago

What about the fairy tales of a new IO-Board revision 1.5?

#29666 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Easier? Errr, no. Stabler? Probably not. That would entail rewriting the entirety of the game's code -- rules for dozens of modes, multiballs, and misc features; all the choreography; etc. Huge undertaking.

Great to see you pop in the " real" Alien thread on occasion, Pinbud!!!

My dream would be a revd I/O board without the need to bypass the protection circuit ( meaning final bugs worked out) along with ethernet transmission ( nice, locking RJ45's in a vibrating machine).

A man can dream ( while enjoying his killer game going on 5 years now) lol...

#29667 10 months ago

I monitor this thread constantly... I just mostly don't have much to say... y'all actually understand the hardware and electrical issues far better than I do.

I'm just happy that lots of people get to enjoy the game, whether the Heighway version or the Pinball Brothers version.

#29668 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I monitor this thread constantly... I just mostly don't have much to say... y'all actually understand the hardware and electrical issues far better than I do.
I'm just happy that lots of people get to enjoy the game, whether the Heighway version or the Pinball Brothers version.

You're a great guy Joe, and truly appreciate what you, Brian, and others did for this amazing game.

#29669 10 months ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Great to see you pop in the " real" Alien thread on occasion, Pinbud!!!
My dream would be a revd I/O board without the need to bypass the protection circuit ( meaning final bugs worked out) along with ethernet transmission ( nice, locking RJ45's in a vibrating machine).
A man can dream ( while enjoying his killer game going on 5 years now) lol...

Them's boards are not up to the strain of an RJ45 jack. Board will flex, broken trace in one of the layers occurs and it's in the pile used for component pulls.
A complete redesign of the board nescessary for eth to connect to the peripheral pins that need to be configured on the PIC for eth.

Random thought as I'm working on emulating 32 bit Armel on QEMU to say goodbye to Utilites, I wonder if IO's can be emulated? BTW, I do think highly of the Utilites. Build quality is excellent. It's just in this use case they chose to go cheap and not get the 32GB MSATA option. The failure point is the uSD 3.3v.

IMG_20230609_111911 (resized).jpgIMG_20230609_111911 (resized).jpg

#29670 10 months ago
Quoted from shaneo:

Them's boards are not up to the strain of an RJ45 jack. Board will flex, broken trace in one of the layers occurs and it's in the pile used for component pulls.
A complete redesign of the board nescessary for eth to connect to the peripheral pins that need to be configured on the PIC for eth.
Random thought as I'm working on emulating 32 bit Armel on QEMU to say goodbye to Utilites, I wonder if IO's can be emulated? BTW, I do think highly of the Utilites. Build quality is excellent. It's just in this use case they chose to go cheap and not get the 32GB MSATA option. The failure point is the uSD 3.3v.
[quoted image]

Great info....there were several, way smarter than I , that started a deep dive in what you're doing...sadly, back then ( and now) there was never a manufacturer to invest and complete/ support properly.

Props to you for sharing and helping to ensure the survival of the fittest!!

#29671 10 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I have some original Heighway facehuggers

PM sent.

QSS

#29672 10 months ago

Hello everyone
Following a request I will relaunch a production of the illuminated EL panel for the backglass who will be interested? contact in pm thank you

#29673 10 months ago

Hi all
I discovered that there are version 1.3 I/O cards, what is the difference with version 1.4b? I also read that there would be an I/O 1.4c version? anyone got anything on this?

#29674 10 months ago

I sent my I/O board for repair to flipperwerk in Germany, I should receive it on Thursday or Friday, this week.
Markus told me I repaired and tested they both work, a broken USB female port card and the other was the FSB 22P10

#29675 10 months ago
Quoted from chucky87:

Hello everyone
Following a request I will relaunch a production of the illuminated EL panel for the backglass who will be interested? contact in pm thank you

Highly recommended, one of the best updates to my machine. U coming out with anything else ?

#29676 10 months ago

The difference between 1.3 and 1.4b is a hardware revision and bridged (done after production) MosFets.
Version 1.4c is a fairy tale...

#29677 10 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Fortement recommandé, l'une des meilleures mises à jour de ma machine. Tu sors avec autre chose ?

no, it will be the same model, it's just that I had requests. otherwise for those who do not have the blades and the backboard lit on their standard version, I have a complete kit left, including the inverter.

#29678 10 months ago

Thank you for your reply Averell

1 week later
#29679 10 months ago

hi aliens
as agreed I came back I promised you pictures of my Alien once finished, so I/O card repaired by markus mini USB port resolder

#29680 10 months ago

Excellent

#29681 10 months ago
Quoted from enzare45:

hi aliens
as agreed I came back I promised you pictures of my Alien once finished, so I/O card repaired by markus mini USB port resolder

Right on. Averell is a real asset to this community, as are others!!

#29682 10 months ago

Hypersleep chamber mod w interactive center screen video mod still on my damn bench. I have not forgotten this PITA effort...the machine deserves it...just need to find the time (ugh)...( Averell will of course create an awesome manual for it... ..)

#29683 10 months ago
Quoted from enzare45:

hi aliens

Nice....my lineup still revolves around this machine....just continues to fascinate me!!

#29684 10 months ago

Game is just about done. Just changing out flipper mechs and she is finished!

IMG_0594 (resized).jpegIMG_0594 (resized).jpeg
#29685 10 months ago
Quoted from calprog:

[quoted image]

Wrong thread

#29686 10 months ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Hypersleep chamber mod w interactive center screen video mod still on my damn bench. I have not forgotten this PITA effort...the machine deserves it...just need to find the time (ugh)...( Averell will of course create an awesome manual for it... ..)

I need it.

#29687 10 months ago

Yes, yes you will...

#29688 10 months ago
Your right. Best to put the Jack bottle away! Lol

#29689 10 months ago
Quoted from calprog:

[quoted image]

Watch out, someone has stolen your monitor from the playfield !!
Anyway, looks nice !

#29690 10 months ago

SOLD

2 weeks later
#29691 9 months ago

Just for your information,

we have found out that the ALIEN resets when a 2nd or 3rd ball is fired into the shooter lane. The cause is a stuck target in front of the right scoop.
So if your device behaves like this, check if one of the two targets is stuck or has contact against the metal of the scoop.
I will add this information to the Rulesheet that will be provided if we get a software update sometimes.

#29692 9 months ago
Quoted from Averell:

Just for your information,
we have found out that the ALIEN resets when a 2nd or 3rd ball is fired into the shooter lane. The cause is a stuck target in front of the right scoop.
So if your device behaves like this, check if one of the two targets is stuck or has contact against the metal of the scoop.
I will add this information to the Rulesheet that will be provided if we get a software update sometimes.

I guess you do mean the 2 weapon targets? They are hardly under fire and get some strong hits. I guess there was a kind of target frame in the aftermarket which could avoid this after installing. It prevents the target and contacts to bend ...

#29693 9 months ago

We are talking about the right ramp with weapon targets, right.

#29694 9 months ago

thank you for your info Averell it's always a pleasure to know a little more about the machine I tell you all good holidays and see you soon for fresh news

#29695 9 months ago

These are my thoughts about some known issues and how to fix them...

Known Issues (resized).pngKnown Issues (resized).png

#29696 9 months ago
Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]

You are the big reason I’m keeping my game for this long besides the love I have for it. Well done brother

#29697 9 months ago

Again I wrote an email to Brian regarding an update for ALIEN near in the future.
I hope we will get it soon.
If so, I would like to share the latest Rulesheet in revision 1.3 with all known issues and some information about settings and gameplay.

#29698 9 months ago

I finally got around to fixing the left xeno target which wasn't registering. These are what I used (7mm shaft)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255088248268
7mm switch (resized).png7mm switch (resized).png

#29699 9 months ago
Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]

It's funny how the small things cause big issues on this game (not really funny)....believe everyone is nervous as zero schematics, factory support, etc.

Sometimes, just gotta step back from the thing. The magnetized balls drove me nuts!!! ( experienced quirkiness when a switch gets stuck as well)...

Mine plays so solid, but swear I could put one together in my sleep now.....

#29700 9 months ago
Quoted from Averell:

Again I wrote an email to Brian regarding an update for ALIEN near in the future.
I hope we will get it soon.
If so, I would like to share the latest Rulesheet in revision 1.3 with all known issues and some information about settings and gameplay.

Have stopped holding my breath for another rev (just to cover some bugs).....love the game, and suspect it will outlast me...

You do great manuals and your ongoing engagement in the thread is priceless. Will hope to get something finished for you to write another manual for soon!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 594 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/594 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.