DSCN8458 (resized).JPG
IMG_2212 (resized).jpg
DSCN8455 (resized).JPG
DSCN8454 (resized).JPG
DSCN8571 (resized).JPG
DSCN9165 (resized).JPG
DSCN9163 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 29,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 590 of 591.
#29451 81 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Man I tell you...that side panel is the biggest thing I miss on the PB. Even though I'd never see it with how I line my games up, it is just amazing to look at and seems like a big miss.

A perfect end cap

20220716_175509 (resized).jpg
#29452 81 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

A perfect end cap
[quoted image]

Man cant wait to get my 12 volt swapped so I can do lighted buttons and undercab lighting too

#29453 80 days ago

Very rarely, but also with me already happened that an IO board was not correctly plugged and a pin was bent away. Please check this too!
And AGAIN - be careful with the USB-connectors!

#29454 80 days ago

This is the original panel that came with my machine broken during shipping I’m assuming no one wants it before i toss it ?

E897EE50-2787-4EA8-BFDF-EB5C58D47A99 (resized).jpeg
#29455 79 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

This is the original panel that came with my machine broken during shipping I’m assuming no one wants it before i toss it ?[quoted image]

Man I'll take that. Make cool art with it.

#29456 79 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

This is the original panel that came with my machine broken during shipping I’m assuming no one wants it before i toss it ?[quoted image]

Wish i was closer! Gotta be something cool that can be done.. nethawk knows!

#29457 79 days ago

Finally have a tech question on my Alien. The lights at the scoop standups and the super insert illuminate during testing but then turn off after the xeno has retracted the tongue. Targets work but no lights! Thanks for any input. I unplugged all i/o connections, plugged back in, once resulting in two of them staying red. It’s been a really reliable game for me but not sure what this represents. Looks like the xeno target doesn’t light up either.
After plugging in the power supply to the lcd board, the lights all worked in rgb during all lamp testing, but go back to dark with gameplay. Any help is appreciated!
CD9A378F-C5BE-4E9B-B3E0-98CB10712F20 (resized).jpeg

D04120E4-5D6F-467A-9104-ACE773D40AA9 (resized).jpeg

#29458 77 days ago

Look at Averell's post #29449
Seems to be same issue in the Sccop (Airlock)section. I had the same, sometimes frozen, sometimes circulating, sometimes white LEDs around the Scoop.
One LED in the chain was failing, although in the single test it was working. You need to do the steps like mentioned by Averell.

#29459 77 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

A perfect end cap
[quoted image]

Wow, that's a beautiful room ya got right there!!! Be hard to leave a room like that!
....I miss my Alien.

#29460 77 days ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Wow, that's a beautiful room ya got right there!!! Be hard to leave a room like that!
....I miss my Alien.

1 of 3

Wish you were still in the club too...your ramp decals are absolutely perfect!!!

#29461 77 days ago
Quoted from the_one:

Look at Averell's post #29449
Seems to be same issue in the Sccop (Airlock)section. I had the same, sometimes frozen, sometimes circulating, sometimes white LEDs around the Scoop.
One LED in the chain was failing, although in the single test it was working. You need to do the steps like mentioned by Averell.

Thanks so much! I missed that post…from just a few days ago.

#29462 76 days ago

Hi, we have an Alien that's still down. It's just ejecting balls all the time and with all balls removed it's showing some of the Troughs as Active including the Jam. We don't have any pinball repair experience so wouldn't know where to start, does anyone know where we could source some boards?

Not sure if there's anything obvious we can try to get current working again but willing to give it a shot.

#29463 76 days ago

Open the service menu and check all the switches step by step.
The switch test is guided with an overview of the playfield.
Check the ball trough and look at the indicator lights on the circuit board, you have sender and receiver and heighway made a good job to use lamps as an indicator to see if the balls will be detected or not.
Often the connectors or wiring broke off, be careful removing the sockets!
Check IO-Boards for properly connection (Interchange the wiring and USB) and if they will be detected in the service menu.
Read the manual and follow instructions at section 13 and consider to setting suggestions.
Do all the tests and checks with disabled Xenomorph (44) and disabled Beacons (47) if you have.
Also think about resetting the system and setting up all updates (1.4) including the IO boards (0.9).
For a reset you have to be experienced in LINUX or have an experienced friend who may assist.

Good luck

#29464 76 days ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Hi, we have an Alien that's still down. It's just ejecting balls all the time and with all balls removed it's showing some of the Troughs as Active including the Jam. We don't have any pinball repair experience so wouldn't know where to start, does anyone know where we could source some boards?
Not sure if there's anything obvious we can try to get current working again but willing to give it a shot.

When my 2 Alien pins kept non stop launching balls, it was the black wire to the ball throughs coil that for some reason, even though it was still crimped good, just needed to be wiggled until it stopped...on both pins. Maybe the coils connection ears were corroded over and needed cleaning. But in both cases, I wiggled both wires and it stopped instantly when I wiggled the black ground contact enough. Have the game running and while it's kicking up no balls into the launch ramp, wiggle the wires at the connection to the coil. Not the launching coil, but the ball throughs coil that kicks the balls up into the launcher.

#29465 75 days ago

Thanks both will try all this tonight

#29466 75 days ago

Ok how do I mount this 12volt ? Obviously remove the old one, hook up the wires etc, but do I need to drill from the bottom of the cabinet??

#29467 75 days ago

Most of the time the drilling patterns don't fit anymore, that's why I always screw power supplies on an intermediate plate beforehand and then I put that in the cabinet. If then again a power supply is broken or another should be installed, this can be solved with the intermediate plate so that no new holes must be drilled in the cabinet.
Same for other parts in the cabinet.

DSCN9162 (resized).JPG

DSCN9163 (resized).JPG

DSCN9165 (resized).JPG

DSCN8571 (resized).JPG

DSCN8454 (resized).JPG

DSCN8455 (resized).JPG

DSCN8458 (resized).JPG

#29468 75 days ago

Do you guys have any resources for PCBs? I’d love to get a backup set. Good news is PB can provide populated replacements that are tested, but…they are expensive.

#29469 75 days ago

So on the board itself I can see that D2, D1 and DJAM are not lit, these are the ones that stay always stay active even when all balls are removed from the game. Any ideas why they aren't lit on the board, or is it just the board itself that's now faulty?

IMG_2212 (resized).jpg
#29470 75 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok how do I mount this 12volt ? Obviously remove the old one, hook up the wires etc, but do I need to drill from the bottom of the cabinet??

No!!! You can simply unscrew/ remove the old, then locate new supply (larger, so it covers existing holes), then drill pilot holes (partially, from inside the cabinet) to attach.

Or Averell's method is quite nice.....

#29471 71 days ago

I got these target holder things from mezelmod I think I installed them right so far the target doesn’t move I hope it stays that way

075CE1CC-415A-4D12-9BC8-53DFB9F3FBF6 (resized).jpeg57A3C0C4-4338-43E4-B18C-ED61F83D6E9E (resized).jpeg
#29472 71 days ago

Nice! Did you use the one or two piece?

#29473 71 days ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Nice! Did you use the one or two piece?

two piece, I guess you put them on then hold them really tight then they snap together.

Are we going to get any new code updates?

#29474 71 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I got these target holder things from mezelmod I think I installed them right so far the target doesn’t move I hope it stays that way
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine were pink, lol, but have held the target firmly since installing. The natural geometry of the game causes serious pounding (horizontal) on that target, so it needs something....

#29475 70 days ago

Just curious if anyone might have any other suggestions for things to check on the Airlock Scoop Switch?

It seems to only register about 50% of the time while playing. I've tested it in the switch test with a ball and it registers 100% of the time. I've tweaked the leaver arm a bit to make sure it was making contact even if the ball was to the "other" side. I don't see anything obvious that would prevent it from registering.

Also, I've checked and re-seated the connectors and usb cables and that all looks good.

I'm thinking about just replacing the switch. If a anyone knows of a drop in replacement, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll pull the switch and see what numbers are on it.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I'm still running 1.3 software.

#29476 69 days ago

So far so good with that stand up target brace thingy. But I think it needs some more hits to tell for sure..
My balls just started going crazy, kept firing and ejecting new balls from trough .got magnetized. Got some new ones from pinball life

Much much better.

#29477 69 days ago

Just to follow up on PCBs, I ordered a populated upper and unpopulated middle and lower from gameroom.no, the parts company linked to Pinball Brothers. I’ve ordered other parts from them without problems. Their PCB supplies are getting low. Also, they have kicked the updated I/O boards down the road as they are focusing on Queen, from what they told me. Maybe with a little pressure from this community, we can have more sustained support into the future.

#29478 68 days ago

Did you find the broken LED in the airlock chain?

#29479 68 days ago
Quoted from the_one:

Did you find the broken LED in the airlock chain?

I know which one is out and will replace it, but figured I’d take the opportunity to get replacement pcbs while they are still available, even though they are pretty durable.

Actually, I think I’ll fix it first based on your recommendations. The PCBs seem pretty robust.

#29480 66 days ago

With reference back to post #29440, and several comments thereafter, I FINALLY was able to resolve the problem with the LED lighting string. It took patience and several days of just changing LEDs, finding out what parts were good and what was causing the issue. I replaced the IO board, and every lamp in the B string of Board 1 - Xeno. It was NOT the IO board…

It finally came down to swapping a lamps (several times); half the string started working again. I came back a couple days later and finally found the right combination.

Thanks to all who replied and helped me.
A special thanks to Averell and MK6PIN. You guys rock!

#29481 66 days ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

With reference back to post #29440, and several comments thereafter, I FINALLY was able to resolve the problem with the LED lighting string. It took patience and several days of just changing LEDs, finding out what parts were good and what was causing the issue. I replaced the IO board, and every lamp in the B string of Board 1 - Xeno. It was NOT the IO board…
It finally came down to swapping a lamps (several times); half the string started working again. I came back a couple days later and finally found the right combination.

Good to hear!!! Those LED's are truly a PITA, but once you've got a good set in there, seated properly, the game stays pretty solid (now you know where they are, lol). Nothing on this game scares me anymore from a repair standpoint.

The I/O boards were an easy blame for everything wrong w the game....early one's definitely had issues, and the freaking USB connector should never have been the attachment method. Yes, even the later run had a protection circuit bypassed and some other magic to get the " sparkler" effect controlled, but once the USB cables were laced properly, again, very stable....PB had promised a final rev...won't hold my breath. Compare to the heroic factory efforts for WOZ...similiar issues, and had to go through ( 3 or 4) revs to get it nailed. We never even got a schematic.....

Enjoy Alienland!!

#29482 66 days ago

Thank you again!
I just love this game. Definitely the favorite in my collection. I’m actually GLAD I had to go through this as I feel so much more comfortable with it. It used to intimidate me to the point where I was afraid to turn it on. It still scares me a bit, but I feel I have enough parts, a little knowledge, and support from the group, that I can keep it in my collection for years to come.

#29483 66 days ago

welp my left (right ramp) target still moves. tried loctite, tried the mezel mods brace, maybe I need to use different screws instead of factory like someone else suggested, something with more torque.

#29484 66 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

welp my left (right ramp) target still moves. tried loctite, tried the mezel mods brace, maybe I need to use different screws instead of factory like someone else suggested, something with more torque.

Not near my machine but remember I added something w the monster pink splint...very solid now...back in town Wednesday, and will try to get down there and take a pic...

#29485 66 days ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

Just did the same, a single LED was out. Will get more LEDs but pass on the expensive and durable pcbs. Thanks as well!

#29486 64 days ago
Quoted from dts:

Just did the same, a single LED was out. Will get more LEDs but pass on the expensive and durable pcbs. Thanks as well!

That's great to hear!

2 weeks later
#29487 47 days ago

Ah...with a couple here talking about a flakey pop bumper ( lighting) my ol gal tried to pull it on me tonight.

Started ok, then front egg would freeze on one color, or go out.

Ive gotten so used to this beast, didnt suspect for a second it was the pop RGB, so lifted the top, culprit was the FARTHEST in the chain ( lit plastic under left ramp)....swapped w a known good 1 and Bamm!! Nailed the culprit...

Spotting the failure and fixed, total time = 20 minutes and 1x LEDPCB...very grateful for socketed approach ( as opposed to a similiar failure on my WOZ " Rainbow" bank a couple weeks earlier, changing the whole miniboard around $200 fixed that one).

A good Alien repair note and story on bourbon Friday!!

#29488 46 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ah...with a couple here talking about a flakey pop bumper ( lighting) my ol gal tried to pull it on me tonight.
Ive gotten so used to this beast, didnt suspect for a second it was the pop RGB, so lifted the top, culprit was the FARTHEST in the chain ( lit plastic under left ramp)....swapped w a known good 1 and Bamm!! Nailed the culprit...
Spotting the failure and fixed, total time = 20 minutes and 1x LEDPCB...very grateful for socketed approach ( as opposed to a similiar failure on my WOZ " Rainbow" bank a couple weeks earlier, changing the whole miniboard around $200 fixed that one).

Man I'd love to get to play your pins! So meticulous how you dial them in! Even this fussy beast! She definitely sounds like a good time tho!

#29489 46 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Very cool. I noticed my front egg very rarely has the light go out or stuck on a single color. I assumed it was likely an LED somewhere else. I have not had the time to poke at it yet but it sounds like that is the likely cause. Bourbon Fridays are the best Fridays.

1 week later
#29490 37 days ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Just curious if anyone might have any other suggestions for things to check on the Airlock Scoop Switch?
It seems to only register about 50% of the time while playing. I've tested it in the switch test with a ball and it registers 100% of the time. I've tweaked the leaver arm a bit to make sure it was making contact even if the ball was to the "other" side. I don't see anything obvious that would prevent it from registering.
Also, I've checked and re-seated the connectors and usb cables and that all looks good.
I'm thinking about just replacing the switch. If a anyone knows of a drop in replacement, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll pull the switch and see what numbers are on it.
Also, not sure if it matters, but I'm still running 1.3 software.

Just though I'd do a follow up on this in case anyone might run into the same issue...

So, as it turns out the scoop switch appears to be the only switch (that I see) that is directly soldered to a PCB. On mine the black wire solder point was "weak" and moving the wire around caused the connection to be intermittent. I quick re-touch of solder seems to have sorted my issue.

Cheers!

#29491 31 days ago

Finally got my Alien LE. I see that it currently runs on PB software. Is there a difference in the PB software and the Original software? Just trying to find out if I should keep pinball brothers software on it or not…

#29492 31 days ago
Quoted from nielsvrijn:

Finally got my Alien LE. I see that it currently runs on PB software. Is there a difference in the PB software and the Original software? Just trying to find out if I should keep pinball brothers software on it or not…

Completely different

#29493 31 days ago
Quoted from nielsvrijn:

Brian stated he had to " brand" opening page rev 1.4 for HW Alien w PB screenshot intro....runs fine, and different than what they are doing ( whatever rev they are on now) from the PB ve version.

There is a way to get rid of that, and have the Heighway logo replace it....

#29494 31 days ago
Quoted from nielsvrijn:

Wrong thread as well! There ia a PB alien thread you will painfully have to follow

#29495 31 days ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Wrong thread as well! There ia a PB alien thread you will painfully have to follow

If he has a "HW LE"machine, loaded w "PB 1.4" ( splash screen only)...he's in the correct thread. They also " branded" red I/O boards w their name when they were cobbling OG's.

The PB ve machine is different....think its called a "standard" or "LV"....( abandoned a long time ago as irrelevant to this game)

#29496 31 days ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Completely different

Certainly is....

#29497 31 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

If he has a "HW LE " machine, loaded w "PB 1.4" ( splash screen only)...hes in the correct thread. The also " branded" red I/O boards w their name when they were cobbling OG's.
The PB ve machine is different....think its called a "standard" or "LV"....

#29498 31 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

There is a way to get rid of that, and have the Heighway logo replace it....

Of course you figured that out! Haha, nice!

#29499 31 days ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Of course you figured that out! Haha, nice!

Cant take the credit for that one, but happy to deploy on my game. I'll let him speak up if he likes, lol...

#29500 31 days ago
Quoted from nielsvrijn:

The game rules and choreography are basically the same on the Heighway version and the Pinball Brothers version. The hardware is very different, though. Keep the PB software on a PB machine if you want it to, you know, work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rommerskirchen
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 29,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 590 of 591.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!