• 24,664 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 minutes ago by delt31
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,841 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24664 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 494.
#2901 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i am in for the longhaul. 1500 is not alot of money to guarantee your spot. i got plenty of toys to keep me busy in the meantime.
i want this to be a great pin- great art, theme and gameplay.

Feedback from a few who saw the private showing sounds very promising in this thread. All based on license feedback now.

#2902 3 years ago

Look at the attention to detail Aurich put into the ACDC alternate translight. That is what I am hoping for Alians. Very clean, crisp, maybe a little dark play field art.

#2903 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Due in week of manufacture: do we know when is about?
Thanks

That means that Heighway will let you know in what week your pin is going to be build. In that week your final payment must be made.

Next batch (believe 78 pins in total) of Full Throttle should me made between now and end November 2015.

For Alien no production date is known yet, but Andrew has said he hopes that would be around Easter 2016.

#2904 3 years ago

I want this pin to have the outlandish, stand-offish type of artwork that Centaur had. That's what the artwork of this game SHOULD be: a love letter to Geiger and his beautiful biomechanical beast he created. However, I can pretty much guarantee that Fox wouldn't go for that because it's not as accessible. So I'm guessing it will just be a mishmash of bits and pieces from Alien and Aliens, with a central xeno somewhere to tie it all together. I know that's not necessarily Aurich's style, but it might be Fox's style, which means it's now his style. We know it's hand drawn artwork (don't we?), but that doesn't mean it won't be a composite style.

Anyways, just as before, I will be waiting until I see that before I make a decision on it.

Does anyone know what the original estimated release date of full throttle was, and when the first ones originally began to get delivered?

#2905 3 years ago

The standard back glass art is.... zzzzzzz. Really nothing to it. Not Aurichs fault as I know clients/license holders are a nightmare to work with and hog tie you creatively but crossing my fingers the Playfield and LE Art kick ass.

#2906 3 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I want this pin to have the outlandish, stand-offish type of artwork that Centaur had. That's what the artwork of this game SHOULD be: a love letter to Geiger and his beautiful biomechanical beast he created.

I hear you, I'd love to see that too. But if you want that pin buy a Bally Space Invaders. I honestly don't think anyone will be unhappy with the final game we're going to present though. Anything with a license comes with that "how I wish it could have been" factor, we all know the rich history on this title and can picture our ideal presentation of it in our heads.

Quoted from aeonblack:

So I'm guessing it will just be a mishmash of bits and pieces from Alien and Aliens, with a central xeno somewhere to tie it all together. I know that's not necessarily Aurich's style, but it might be Fox's style, which means it's now his style. We know it's hand drawn artwork (don't we?), but that doesn't mean it won't be a composite style.

Not exactly hand drawn artwork, though I have hand drawn elements in it. Nothing approved yet, so I can't really say how it will all work out. You're not too off the mark with your guess, but I'd probably describe it with more positive terms.

Would I do things differently if I had total control over everything? Sure. But it's a license and it comes with realities. Given that if they approve the playfield I've done I'll be happy with it. Honestly happy, not fake smile happy. I hope to hear something soon.

The Standard backglass wasn't my design, I basically came in and realized something that was in place before I can on board. But I think it will look great lit up, and again, given the realities I'm happy with it. The egg is a pretty special image for me, so while I get that it's not "exciting" or "new" I can't be mad about having it represent the Standard edition of the game.

One advantage of the way we're working on this game right now is the playfield art will be approved before I do the LE design. So I intend to take whatever freedoms they allow on the playfield as my jump off point for the LE art and see where that goes.

#2907 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not exactly hand drawn artwork, though I have hand drawn elements in it. Nothing approved yet, so I can't really say how it will all work out. You're not too off the mark with your guess, but I'd probably describe it with more positive terms.
Would I do things differently if I had total control over everything? Sure. But it's a license and it comes with realities. Given that if they approve the playfield I've done I'll be happy with it. Honestly happy, not fake smile happy. I hope to hear something soon.
The Standard backglass wasn't my design, I basically came in and realized something that was in place before I can on board. But I think it will look great lit up, and again, given the realities I'm happy with it. The egg is a pretty special image for me, so while I get that it's not "exciting" or "new" I can't be mad about having it represent the Standard edition of the game.
One advantage of the way we're working on this game right now is the playfield art will be approved before I do the LE design. So I intend to take whatever freedoms they allow on the playfield as my jump off point for the LE art and see where that goes.

I didn't really mean for it to come across as negative! Hah. I guess I'm just burned out on the "same old" process of photoshopping elements all over the playfield. The actual layout styling isn't all that different from 90's pins, but the delivery really takes the soul out of it. I'm confident that you will execute it tastefully, though, and your confidence and openness about it all is definitely a positive in my books. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

With the LE do you think we will see broad differences between it and the standard edition (in regards to the artwork), or will it just be a more premium version of the same thing? Obviously tough to say at this point, without any approval, just wondering if there is a sort of framework plan in place for the art packages, if all things go as planned.

#2908 3 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I didn't really mean for it to come across as negative! Hah. I guess I'm just burned out on the "same old" process of photoshopping elements all over the playfield.

AKA The Style Guide Method™.

Quoted from aeonblack:

With the LE do you think we will see broad differences between it and the standard edition (in regards to the artwork), or will it just be a more premium version of the same thing?

My intention if possible is to make it different. As I said, the Standard wasn't my design. I redid it from scratch, but I was executing someone else's vision. Which is fine, I do that kind of thing professionally all the time. With the LE I'm hoping to have a more personal touch.

#2909 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

The standard back glass art is.... zzzzzzz.

I think it looks amazing, nice and simple with a glowing egg from the best film of the entire series. Pure and simple yet menacing, JMO.

#2910 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think it looks amazing, nice and simple with a glowing egg from the best film of the entire series. Pure and simple yet menacing, JMO.

that egg is creepy and just stands out......its alien(s) in a nutshell

#2911 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

its alien(s) in a nutshell

in an eggshell...rim shot!

#2912 3 years ago

Screenshot_2015-11-23-20-09-36~2.jpg

#2913 3 years ago

Huge fan of the comic book style illustrations. Here's 10 minutes in Photoshop

alien_mockup.jpg

#2914 3 years ago

Literally could not care less about the LE artwork. I'm interested in the FATBOY LCD, which pretty much negates any distinguishing visible artwork between the models. I'll add the cool LE playfield features to the standard.

#2915 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Literally could not care less about the LE artwork. I'm interested in the FATBOY LCD, which pretty much negates any distinguishing visible artwork between the models. I'll add the cool LE playfield features to the standard.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Feels great not to have an "get the LE before it's gone" pressure.

#2916 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'll add the cool LE playfield features to the standard.

What if the cost of the LE is cheaper than SE + LE Add-ons?

#2917 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Same.

All this talk about the artwork, meh. I want to see a video of the gameplay!

#2918 3 years ago

Hmm...I'm starting to feel like I might be the only one that actually wants the smaller backbox lcd along with cool LE art.....

#2919 3 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Hmm...I'm starting to feel like I might be the only one that actually wants the smaller backbox lcd along with cool LE art.....

I'm leaning that way myself, if the display is only going to shown score and a few minor animations then I'm staying with the small backbox LCD for sure. I need to see more before I can decide..

#2920 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm leaning that way myself, if the display is only going to shown score and a few minor animations then I'm staying with the small backbox LCD for sure. I need to see more before I can decide..

Same here. If its going to show real movie clips and some bad ass animations, then I'm going to insist on the large screen. In that case I would really see the standard as the way to go for me personally. I may go that way either way, since an alternative translite can always be added later and I feel pretty neutral about the standard art (don't love it but don't hate it either).

#2921 3 years ago

I can't say either way until I see the finalized art for both versions. As bigdaddy07 said, knowing what the screen is going to be used for is also going to make a big difference, and if it's just scores and such then I don't see much reason for the larger LCD. Gameplay is absolutely going to matter, but the shot map looks good to me, so I'm not too concerned. At this point, I would take any new information!

#2922 3 years ago

If i got Aliens it would be on location so i'd get large screen. If its sitting in your basement I can see opting for small one or none on backbox.

#2923 3 years ago

One thing that occurs to me is that the big screen might end up looking a bit odd.

Quoted from Aurich:

At some point though we'll definitely need to release a teaser video with some approved video clip examples so you can get a sense for what's coming. I think we need final playfield art though first. The way the screen is embedded in the playfield means it needs context.

If the context of the display on the playfield is critically important then won't it look strange to see the same content presented out of this context on the backbox?

#2924 3 years ago

Nah. I just don't care for showing things too isolated. The screen will work either place, it's being designed that way

#2925 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If i got Aliens it would be on location so i'd get large screen. If its sitting in your basement I can see opting for small one or none on backbox.

Agreed 100% I think the screen on the playfield is great.. Sure you might look up in a stop and go moment and a big screen on the backbox is cool but why bother when everything is down where the ball is.

#2926 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Agreed 100% I think the screen on the playfield is great.. Sure you might look up in a stop and go moment and a big screen on the backbox is cool but why bother when everything is down where the ball is.

Between ball countdown of Facehugger bonus kills and what have you...presented in full HD on a 27 inch. I'll take it!

#2927 3 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Quoted from Hazoff:

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Same here. If its going to show real movie clips and some bad ass animations, then I'm going to insist on the large screen. In that case I would really see the standard as the way to go for me personally. I may go that way either way, since an alternative translite can always be added later and I feel pretty neutral about the standard art (don't love it but don't hate it either).

Quoted from aeonblack:

I can't say either way until I see the finalized art for both versions. As bigdaddy07 said, knowing what the screen is going to be used for is also going to make a big difference, and if it's just scores and such then I don't see much reason for the larger LCD. Gameplay is absolutely going to matter, but the shot map looks good to me, so I'm not too concerned. At this point, I would take any new information!

Quoted from ZenTron:

Quoted from accidental:

One thing that occurs to me is that the big screen might end up looking a bit odd.

If the context of the display on the playfield is critically important then won't it look strange to see the same content presented out of this context on the backbox?

Quoted from Kneissl:

I had the small screen on order. After seeing the big screen in action.....WOW.....it looks gorgeous! For me there is no way around it. And yes, the big screen adds a lot to the atmosphere and experience. Even when only mirrored.

I am going BIG

#2928 3 years ago

I played the big screen at Expo. But if I get a Heighway pin it will be with the small backbox screen. If the big screen did something different than the playfield screen, it would be a must have. I especially liked the idea of an attract mode with the translight art but with subtle animations like mist moving or the egg pulsing.

#2929 3 years ago

Oh man, been bouncing around the idea of getting one of these. I wish this wasn't announced until shit could be shown.

#2930 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Oh man, been bouncing around the idea of getting one of these. I wish this wasn't announced until shit could be shown.

me too!

#2931 3 years ago

I hear you Aurich. If I was a designer like you I wouldn't want any announcements until I was ready to show the final product; good focus groups aside.

#2932 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I had the small screen on order. After seeing the big screen in action.....WOW.....it looks gorgeous! For me there is no way around it. And yes, the big screen adds a lot to the atmosphere and experience. Even when only mirrored.
I am going BIG

Ditto!!!

#2933 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I hear you Aurich. If I was a designer like you I wouldn't want any announcements until I was ready to show the final product; good focus groups aside.

Yeah, with my personal pinball design project you pretty much never see me post in progress stuff for the most part, I prefer to just do it, and then announce it.

#2934 3 years ago

It was cool to see both the big and small back box screens side by side at Expo. I must say I was naturally attracted to the large screen and went right to that machine first. Have to realize right now it's just duplicating what's on the small play field screen so it makes you wonder where they could take this if they were to head the way JJP is with theres'. With Alien it could be over the top cool. I hope they are intending to improve upon, big time, from their first go!

#2935 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

It was cool to see both the big and small back box screens side by side at Expo. I must say I was naturally attracted to the large screen and went right to that machine first. Have to realize right now it's just duplicating what's on the small play field screen so it makes you wonder where they could take this if they were to head the way JJP is with theres'. With Alien it could be over the top cool. I hope they are intending to improve upon, big time, from their first go!

Andrew said they won't head for the JJP way. But it is very likely that animations are going to be implemented. Maybe already for Alien.

#2936 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Quoted from PinballRulez:

Andrew said they won't head for the JJP way. But it is very likely that animations are going to be implemented. Maybe already for Alien.

Look at how much better the backbox LCD is in Hobbit than WOZ. JJP learned a lot and implemented something far more polished and integrated in their second attempt.

Heighway is just getting started and has not produced enough of anything to have learned much from the field. As a result, Alien may not be as many leaps and bounds better than Full Throttle as Hobbit was from WOZ. That said, even without going the full JJP route, I would fully expect them to learn a TON over time and implement those things going forward. For better or for worse, I would expect Alien will not be their best implementation of the LCD screen. That said, I'm guessing it will be cooler than Full Throttle (which was already pretty cool on the big screen) and certainly for anyone planning to swap in future games, their usage will only continue to improve.

#2937 3 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Back lcd, get Aurich Awesomeness, hang next to machine. Boom. Done.

#2938 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm sure if Andrew eventually allows something like CCC to be implemented later, animation updates could be epic coming from us insane collectors. Awwww yeah. The possibilities.

#2939 3 years ago

Gobble gobble!

#2940 3 years ago

I finally took the plunge and ordered the LE today. I've been watching this from the beginning and like the way it is progressing. Can't wait to see the artwork from Aurich. Still on the fence as to which screen to get though. I love the big screen on my WOZ but hate to give up the great artwork for Alien.

#2941 3 years ago

Give it up trust me! No offence towards Aurich at all!

#2942 3 years ago

when do you get to pick the the screen, right before its getting built?

#2943 3 years ago

I think someone else said you can pick after seeing the artwork but I can't confirm that. Andrew did say he would be at TPF in March so I'm going. Hopefully we will get to see everything by then.

#2944 3 years ago
Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

I finally took the plunge and ordered the LE today. I've been watching this from the beginning and like the way it is progressing. Can't wait to see the artwork from Aurich. Still on the fence as to which screen to get though. I love the big screen on my WOZ but hate to give up the great artwork for Alien.

You're going to want the big screen....Aurich is still gonna rock it art wise, on the LE, and no way are you gonna want to see some of these clips on a small screen!!!....

#2945 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

You're going to want the big screen....Aurich is still gonna rock it art wise, on the LE, and no way are you gonna want to see some of these clips on a small screen!!!....

Get the big screen and then use a swapbox to mount Aurich's artwork. Best of both worlds. My LE order has been in and I'm going to go with both!

#2946 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. It is hard to pass up on the larger screen. Besides, how can I say no to the Godfather.

#2947 3 years ago
Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

Thanks for the feedback. It is hard to pass up on the larger screen. Besides, how can I say no to the Godfather.

A wise man.....

#2948 3 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Get the big screen and then use a swapbox to mount Aurich's artwork. Best of both worlds. My LE order has been in and I'm going to go with both!

Only thing to keep in mind is the backglass and speaker panel on Heighway games are one piece. Doesn't mean you can't swapbox it, but something to keep in mind.

I think the big screen makes sense, definitely go for it if you're interested.

#2949 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the radio silence for a while. A long run of summer shows saw me and a lot of my team crossing timezones every week.

Nevertheless, we continue to make very good progress with Alien Pinball.

The reality of this title is that FOX have said all along that they do not want everything to be revealed publicly until the game is as good as finished. As a company and a partner with FOX, we must respect their wishes - even though we would love to show you much more than we have done up to this point.

It is true that I have showed certain elements of the game to people in private, and these people have reported back here, and in forums around the world, as to what they have seen and what they thought of it.

So what can I tell you? I have two meetings with FOX over the next 2 weeks. The schedule we are working to is as follows:

We want to show a working version of Alien within the first quarter of 2016 - and this could even be in January.

Full Throttle will be running on our production line exclusively until the end of March, at which point Alien is scheduled to start running on the line as well.

All team members are working to these goals.

The reality is that we may not be able to show you much more until the game is nearly finished - but we can promise you that we will show you as much as possible as soon as possible.

To answer someone else's question - yes we will be at Texas in March.

One final point about the large LCD screen - it takes seconds to change over the translite panel - so to those who love seeing the backglass art at all times when the game is switched off, there's nothing stopping customers swapping the backglass panels over whenever needed.

#2950 3 years ago

I'm not in a hurry to get my game. I just want this killer theme done right!

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the radio silence for a while. A never-ending run of summer shows saw me and a lot of my team crossing timezones every week.
Nevertheless, we continue to make very good progress with Alien Pinball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
There are 24664 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside