IMG_20211108_205604 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211108_204601 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCN7723 (resized).JPG
DSCN8864 (resized).JPG
IMG_20211104_214638 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2021-11-04-21-19-23-776_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 29,092 posts in this topic. You are on page 582 of 582.
#29051 10 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ive never really swapped out a power supply before. Just get one off of amazon, and replace the old unit in the Alien with all the correct hook ups? That easy?
Does anyone have amazon US link for a good one to get?
Thanks

Post #29037

#29052 10 days ago

Meanwell 450 12v...................

amazon.com link »

E-Bay GREAT PRICE!................... Hurry last one

ebay.com link: itm

#29053 10 days ago

Not a great price after shipping

#29054 10 days ago

FREE SHIPPING?

#29055 10 days ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

Meanwell 450 12v...................
amazon.com link »
E-Bay GREAT PRICE!................... Hurry last one
ebay.com link: itm

Is that for US voltage? Pretty sure it’s but won’t hurt to confirm

#29056 10 days ago

Yes, 12 volt US

The E-bay price is free shipping, the Amazon one is free with prime.

#29057 10 days ago

37.5 amps for 59.20 try and beat that!

I'm not here trying to sell anything just informing..... Take it for what it's worth!

#29058 10 days ago

Been addressed several times very early in the thread (an impossible read) and several times after - HW underpowered the 12vdc power supply, and caused numerous problems blamed on a variety of things. This is literally the heartbeat of your game, and cannot be overstated that it won't be reliable until you upgrade. Anything over 30a @12vdc adequate (I'm running 65 as I like headroom, lol).

Meanwell is a trusted supplier of switching ps's, all the way up to medical grade. Several models available. You see them on JJP and / Stern games.

Some 3d printed toys ( and definitely toppers, "amazalites", etc. go for exponentially more money than this needed modification to the machine.

Unbelievable, the amount of flipped games that focused on ripping off LE artwork, crazy mods, things that weren't needed (redundant wise)...claimed they played "perfect" and never did basic maintenance like this. Complete disrespect to the game, and never lost a wink of sleep over it.

Minor rant.....change your ps...money well spent....

#29059 9 days ago

It said $60 + $122.85 for shipping to canada

#29060 9 days ago

Yes, 12 volt US
The E-bay price is free shipping, the Amazon one is free with prime.

Bought it and on its way

#29061 9 days ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

It said $60 + $122.85 for shipping to canada

Yeah, that's crazy shipping to Canada and Free shipping to the states.

I guess those Texas boys have a bone to pick with you guys up North!

#29062 9 days ago
Quoted from gprotein:Bought it and on its way

Is this a good alternative to doing that capacitor mod? Also after this upgrade any mods I add like under cab lighting or leg lighting should be fine?
Power stuff is all new to me. Thanks!

#29063 9 days ago

The capacitor modification is for the 70v PSU in response to flipper lag. The 70v is the one in the back and some have had power problems with it.
That has been discussed many times also.

The discussion right now is about the 12VDC PSU.
The 12v Delta that came on this beast is WAY underpowered for the needs of the game.
It's somewhere like 12 amps if my memory serves me right.

As MK6PIN said there are a LOT of previous threads on this topic.
But know this, that the standard issued 12vdc Delta PSU must be replaced for proper power requirements!
Especially if you ADD anything needing 12VDC.

Any PSU over 30 amps that has been mentioned on these threads should suffice. Meanwell's are highly recommended and come in many flavors.

Power and price, that's your decision.

#29064 9 days ago

Recommendation to the 70 volts lag is, to reduce the power supply to 67 volts and decrease the settings in the menu.
My ALIEN and several other machines working very good with these settings.
But, as mentioned above, this is for the 70 volt supply only.
To be sure to have no more issues at all, the 12 volt power supply must be replaced!

#29065 9 days ago

I must be missing something, my Alien came a year ago and I haven't noticed any power supply issues hundreds of games in. What should I look for?

#29066 9 days ago

Xenomorph's

#29067 9 days ago

And newt

#29068 9 days ago

Don't forget JONESY!

#29069 9 days ago

Don't forget JONESY!

I'll get on it!

#29070 9 days ago
Quoted from dts:

I must be missing something, my Alien came a year ago and I haven't noticed any power supply issues hundreds of games in. What should I look for?

This has been discussed several times

#29071 9 days ago
Quoted from dts:I must be missing something, my Alien came a year ago and I haven't noticed any power supply issues hundreds of games in. What should I look for?

As the wiseman said......... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

#29072 9 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

This has been discussed several times
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"d4e8d3eaae78b8ef4d1c6883d0d100f6684cf7d4-1637339663-1800"};
//]]>

As the wiseman said......... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Less is more, more or less…

#29073 9 days ago

I will change my PSU, sometimes reboot issues during multi-multi ball using coils shaker etc...

Anyone have a link or câble brand to QUALITY USB cable to buy in Europe ? (Amazon eBay etc...) Hard to know what to buy and Real quality of them...!
I sometimes have issues with i/o board n°1 i think about it is thé original usb's

#29074 9 days ago

See what I did below to fix my intermittent problems with i/o board #1. You can try just routing the cable away from the pop bumper coils first. If you remove the cable from the wires it's bundled with it can take a more direct route away from the coils and to the computer.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Was having an issue with the I/O board locking up after a bunch of pop bumper hits so the upper right flipper would go dead along with the scoop kick out and a few other things. I got a new cable and kept it outside of the harness so now it's no where near the pop bumper coils or drive wires. Problem is gone.
I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues. This info has been posted before but figure it can't hurt to show it again for anyone coming into this thread late.
This was the problem board. Going to retry the board I took out to see if it works now as it had the same symptoms. Edit: put the old I/O board back in and it's working fine now.
[quoted image]
Added support here too.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues.
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-ladder-tree-wiring-harness-support-3-12-tall.html

#29075 9 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

See what I did below to fix my intermittent problems with i/o board #1. You can try just routing the cable away from the pop bumper coils first. If you remove the cable from the wires it's bundled with it can take a more direct route away from the coils and to the computer.

Its possible that the problem occurs with pop bumpers... I'll try your solution!

#29076 6 days ago

Bumping this up in my threads so I keep better eye on it.
I have debated selling my original pimped out Alien and still may. Really do love the game but I am not playing it nearly as much anymore and might be time to let someone else enjoy.

#29077 6 days ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Bumping this up in my threads so I keep better eye on it.
I have debated selling my original pimped out Alien and still may. Really do love the game but I am not playing it nearly as much anymore and might be time to let someone else enjoy.

I think about it for mine... But i know that i'll regret it! Soooo i keep this wonderfull game !

#29078 3 days ago

I upgraded both of my power supplies awhile back with a friend's help and the information on this thread. I also added the cap mod. If it's useful, this is the 12v power supply I installed. It's a Mean Well, a bit overpowered, and expensive. I wanted to make sure I was getting a quality PSU with extra power so I just ate the cost. Mean Well PSUs are pretty good and you can likely get away with one of theirs that is not quite as powerful and cheaper.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/HRPG-1000-12/9602717

#29079 3 days ago
Quoted from Jjlp:

I think about it for mine... But i know that i'll regret it! Soooo i keep this wonderfull game !

A good decision, as it will be nearly impossible to replace from both a cost and availability standpoint if you ever wanted to bring one back.

Never that many games made to start, and time will most certainly dwindle the #'s even further...

#29080 3 days ago

I can very well imagine that there are still some, if not many, devices out there that are not working properly and/ or are incomplete. I know from my own experience how difficult it can be to repair and complete an early device. But it's worth the effort before you buy a piece of junk from Italy!

#29081 3 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

A good decision, as it will be nearly impossible to replace from both a cost and availability standpoint if you ever wanted to bring one back.
Never that many games made to start, and time will most certainly dwindle the #'s even further...

it is true ! however I am convinced that the price of this pinball machine is not going up with the release of the "remake" which is according to the opinions below on all points! the price does not really move and I find that surprising ... a real collector!

Quoted from Averell:

I can very well imagine that there are still some, if not many, devices out there that are not working properly and/ or are incomplete. I know from my own experience how difficult it can be to repair and complete an early device. But it's worth the effort before you buy a piece of junk from Italy!

I Saw one about 1year ago from italy, seems to be very early because it have the backbox but no screen, just a complete backglass without area for the screen ( backglass was original artwork, my avatar)

#29082 2 days ago

Has anyone had an issue with balls bouncing away from the Weyland inlane after dropping out of the ramp return?
I can sometimes prevent it by flipping as the ball drops but not always. Probably need to experiment with putting a bit of rubber somewhere at the end of the return but if someone else has a solution, please tell...

#29083 2 days ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

Has anyone had an issue with balls bouncing away from the Weyland inlane after dropping out of the ramp return?
I can sometimes prevent it by flipping as the ball drops but not always. Probably need to experiment with putting a bit of rubber somewhere at the end of the return but if someone else has a solution, please tell...

If you speak about left ramp, Many Times the ball bounce on the top post of the slingshot and goes on the flipper instead of going in the weyland lane as it does...

#29084 1 day ago

I never have had or seen this issue!!!

#29085 1 day ago

What form has the hole at the end of the ramp? Like a pear or just a circle?
If I remember correct, the pear shape had a problem. The newer ramps have a round hole.
https://www.free-play.se/en/playfield-parts/playfield-plastics/plastic-sets/alien-plastic-set-platforms.html

#29086 1 day ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

If I remember correct, the pear shape had a problem. The newer ramps have a round hole.
https://www.free-play.se/en/playfield-parts/playfield-plastics/plastic-sets/alien-plastic-set-platforms.html

I still have the original plastics so I guess one option would be to replace them, thanks.

#29087 1 day ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

I still have the original plastics so I guess one option would be to replace them, thanks.

I have the first run originals plastics too... I think the ball fall too soon from the hole and hit the starpost rubber instead of falling between of it and the slingshot top post!

#29088 16 hours ago

Ah, now I understand... if you use the original plastics - first batch or later - doesn't matter, just use Cliffy's.
They protect the plastics and guide the balls in the right way.
I swapped to PET-G and even so use these Cliffy's.

#29089 14 hours ago
Quoted from Averell:

Ah, now I understand... if you use the original plastics - first batch or later - doesn't matter, just use Cliffy's.

Cliffys made two différent protectors for these ramps...

#29090 10 hours ago
Quoted from Averell:

Are the cliffies available outside of the US? I had trouble getting some for another game in the past.

#29091 9 hours ago

Are the cliffies available outside of the US? I had trouble getting some for another game in the past.

In France at eccflip.fr but infortunately not for alien.

New teeths today for the Big Guy !

IMG_20211128_160618 (resized).jpg
#29092 7 hours ago

I swapped the 12 volt power supply today... adjusted to 12,50 Volt.

DSCN9160 (resized).JPG

DSCN9161 (resized).JPG

DSCN9162 (resized).JPG

DSCN9163 (resized).JPG

DSCN9165 (resized).JPG

DSCN9166 (resized).JPG

DSCN9167 (resized).JPG

There are 29,092 posts in this topic. You are on page 582 of 582.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside