pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20211108_205604 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211108_204601 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCN7723 (resized).JPG
DSCN8864 (resized).JPG
IMG_20211104_214638 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 29,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 580 of 582.
#28951 47 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That's awesome. I'm in the same boat with my remake. Hardly any issues. So I guess that means everyone else is incorrect and they are both flawless machines!
I hope you see my point.

Look at your own thread, there are problems. One operator over there is ready to blow his remake up. All machines need adjustments. The early remakes will likely need more than later ones, like the original. What I’m hearing from owners of both is that the remake feels much cheaper, and doesn’t have the same atmosphere.

#28952 47 days ago

Man I put a deposit down for lv version after reading all this I’m going to cancel and stick with heighway I hope I can get my money back

#28953 47 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man I put a deposit down for lv version after reading all this I’m going to cancel and stick with heighway I hope I can get my money back

Good move!

#28954 47 days ago
Quoted from dts:

Look at your own thread, there are problems. One operator over there is ready to blow his remake up. All machines need adjustments. The early remakes will likely need more than later ones, like the original. What I’m hearing from owners of both is that the remake feels much cheaper, and doesn’t have the same atmosphere.

You're arguing the wrong point. We know there are issues, but you have people here pretending that the HWY didn't have more than its fair share on most of the actually made games and comparing the fixed games with a game that just came out. There's what roughly 100 of them? There's only 40ish of the PB.

The only people saying it doesn't have the same atmosphere are the people who have an OG. It probably doesn't but it doesn't impact the gameplay at all. As for feeling cheap...it's practically the same game. The only major difference is the cabinet not being a tank. It's still a heavy bitch. Maybe it's cheaper flipper switches - can't speak to that, but other than Sterns, all new games seem cheap in that area.

#28955 47 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You're arguing the wrong point. We know there are issues, but you have people here pretending that the HWY didn't have more than its fair share on most of the actually made games. There's what roughly 100 of them? There's only 40ish of the PB.
The only people saying it doesn't have the same atmosphere are the people who have an OG. It probably doesn't but it doesn't impact the gameplay at all.

There were a lot of issues with the first Standards, less with later LEs. It may end up the same with the remakes Standard vs LV. One owner of both told me the remake feels like a cheap Chinese version side to side with his original. I’m really glad Alien is getting remade, but a little disappointed PB was unable to duplicate the original. Still, if I had a remake for $8k, I’d enjoy it and stop comparing to the original.

#28956 47 days ago
Quoted from dts:

I think this is a fair comment. To have anyone say anything negative about the new one is sacrilege, and an actual Op, w over 100 games, 10 years in the threads, is being called out by a child response that owns 2 games, just ignoring reality over there.

In the interest of trying to be civil about the whole thing, I believe HW Alien owners should be allowed to express themselves here. Believe it or not, it is very relevant to what PB owners are experienceing on that "side".

Not seeing many HW posts in the PB thread (I did have to downvote the absolute childish statement, attacking an Op), so maybe healthy if it is reciprocal to some extent. It's Pinside, so doesn't really matter.

Correct - Even the late builds were (are) more expensive, and required tweaking to get them playing correctly. Any in the US came from across the pond, and would guess none of those would hit a location not because of reliability, but rather the rarety of the game. No hidden agendas.

Seeing the games side by side just sort of presents that the machines are indeed different....

#28957 47 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Fair assessment, but tell everyone how much time you spent - or the previous owner - spent fixing that machine? How much additional cost went into it to get it running? I think these are the things people are refusing to acknowledge when making the comparisons. The game has been out 5 years? How many years and what number? Was it an early build? A later build? A later cobbled build? These things matter. I mean, we have an entire thread here of 'non - partly working' Aliens for years. The revisionist history, and simple gaslighting is getting to be a bit much.
Just remember - most of you paid more to double what the PB machine is, and many of those were shit coming out of the box. I played a few OG's on location a few years ago, and they ran for less than 30 seconds. This is why I told myself I would never pay the rarity tax on this game. So let's not pretend that they are flawless. There is less than 1/3 of those PB games in the wild right now compared to the HWY, and many of those apparently ended up on location (which is simply a horrible idea). They will hopefully continue to improve as they make more.

Fair points... I did fettle it before taking it to the show since it was pretty tired and needed flipper rebuilds and several LEDs replaced (they have always been problematic) and I didn't mean to suggest that it was a better machine from the beginning since mine was sorted out before I bought it. I would likely be just as happy to play a properly working PB Alien, but I still think the original looks cooler

#28958 47 days ago
Quoted from dts:There were a lot of issues with the first Standards, less with later LEs. It may end up the same with the remakes Standard vs LV. One owner of both told me the remake feels like a cheap Chinese version side to side with his original. I’m really glad Alien is getting remade, but a little disappointed PB was unable to duplicate the original. Still, if I had a remake for $8k, I’d enjoy it and stop comparing to the original.

I completely get the side by side comparison, but in todays market, it just looks like a Standard versus an LE. And the cost difference kind of backs that up.

#28959 47 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I completely get the side by side comparison, but in todays market, it just looks like a Standard versus an LE. And the cost difference kind of backs that up.

Ok, well to clarify I support you guys over there with new Aliens and hope PB is successful. Best to enjoy what we have and work together.

#28960 47 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

To have anyone say anything negative about the new one is sacrilege,.

I think it is just the blanket statements that get annoying. It'd be like someone coming in here and stating that HWY Aliens are all pieces of crap that never work. There's going to be people who's experience doesn't match it and point it out.

#28961 47 days ago
Quoted from dts:

There were a lot of issues with the first Standards, less with later LEs. It may end up the same with the remakes Standard vs LV. One owner of both told me the remake feels like a cheap Chinese version side to side with his original. I’m really glad Alien is getting remade, but a little disappointed PB was unable to duplicate the original. Still, if I had a remake for $8k, I’d enjoy it and stop comparing to the original.

PB could have duplicated it, but they didn't want to charge 12,500 like Dutch is doing with The Big Lewinsky. I think they wanted to bring the game to the masses at 8k price instead. I am glad they did. 12,500 and It would have been out of reach for me.

#28962 47 days ago

Honestly, they sound like a bunch of dorky old men who don't even play their damn machines in the other thread. They can't even shut their mouths and open their ears long enough to listen to actual owners and players of both machines. Side by side they're not even close. Too many yes-men agreeing that if you say anything bad about PB they'll call you a negative nancy! i jist know i want an alien.. now im not sure i would settle for a PB version

#28963 47 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think it is just the blanket statements that get annoying. It'd be like someone coming in here and stating that HWY Aliens are all pieces of crap that never work. There's going to be people who's experience doesn't match it and point it out.

Quoted from kciaccio:

PB could have duplicated it, but they didn't want to charge 12,500 like Dutch is doing with The Big Lewinsky. I think they wanted to bring the game to the masses at 8k price instead. I am glad they did. 12,500 and It would have been out of reach for me.

Both very fair points, and agree (for whatever that's worth). They are different machines, period. I'm glad more people get to experience this version, as to reboot the original was going to be cost prohibitive.

Can't buy a NIB HW now even if you had the $$$, so there is no other choice, except a roll of the dice on a used one. Depending on the build, it could be a nightmare.

Maybe HW can just bitch/ enjoy here, PB bitch/ enjoy there until actual #'s, longer term support actually happens, amount of games delivered increases, LV, etc......idk, just sort of wears me out at times. I really enjoy my game, and hope PB honors their last promise of supporting the original to a certain extent at some point down the road. We've been in space a long time...

#28964 47 days ago

Without doubt, it is a nightmare.
I have resurrected an unplayable standard version after 5 previous owners gave up... it took 6 month to get spare and rebuilt parts.
Now it has the same features as an original LE, except of the backglass and sidepanels.
The question is, was it worth all the effort... yes it was?!
Would I do this again... to be honest... never again!
Some years ago I restored an Indiana Jones and it took 16 month to recomplete the machine, so I thought that was my Everest, but it wasn't!
I realized this if the ALIEN took it's place in the basement.
I own an LE since October 2019, but the war ain't over, yet.

DSCN8659 (resized).JPG

DSCN9035 (resized).JPG

DSCN9041 (resized).JPG

#28965 47 days ago
Quoted from kciaccio:Who is saying that? Not the people who bought the PB version.

I do think that there are people here who own the Heighway version didn't want the PB version to come out so they could have some rare machine they thought would be worth 20k and now feel cheated in some way that there is a remake out there.
And they seem to have a axe to grind if PB does not jump up and support the Heighway version with updates and fixes. PB has enough problems trying to make it as a company and fix the ones THEY are actually building with their name on it.
I love the Heighway version. I am just happy I was able to scrape up enough money together to get an 8k version of it. I would have bought a Heighway version but everybody selling them for way more than that.

Quoted from Zablon:

Fair assessment, but tell everyone how much time you spent - or the previous owner - spent fixing that machine? How much additional cost went into it to get it running? I think these are the things people are refusing to acknowledge when making the comparisons. The game has been out 5 years? How many years and what number? Was it an early build? A later build? A later cobbled build? These things matter. I mean, we have an entire thread here of 'non - partly working' Aliens for years. The revisionist history, and simple gaslighting is getting to be a bit much.
Just remember - most of you paid more to double what the PB machine is, and many of those were shit coming out of the box. I played a few OG's on location a few years ago, and they ran for less than 30 seconds. This is why I told myself I would never pay the rarity tax on this game. So let's not pretend that they are flawless. There is less than 1/3 of those PB games in the wild right now compared to the HWY, and many of those apparently ended up on location (which is simply a horrible idea). They will hopefully continue to improve as they make more.

You two own the remake and have never owned the "OG" so why do you come to the OG thread and troll. There is a thread for the remake and I suggest you stay there and give your opinions on what you know!
Enjoy your game!

#28966 47 days ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

You two own the remake and have never owned the "OG" so why do you come to the OG thread and troll. There is a thread for the remake and I suggest you stay there and give your opinions on what you know!
Enjoy your game!

As soon as you guys stop shit talking the remake as being some piece of shit I will disappear....lol

#28967 47 days ago

I promise if you keep yours!

#28968 47 days ago

My HW IS a pre-series... Total cost for a 100% working pin? 10/11k€. Do you have a 200units produced at this Price on the market? Potc CE? Eliva SE?... Less expensive than all the mass produced Stern LE...This game isnt expensive to compare with other pins...!

#28969 47 days ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

My HW Alien performed flawlessly over the recent UK Pinfest weekend (apart from a flipper rubber falling off!) - The PB one next to it had trough issues all through the weekend and drew a lot of negative comments. Mine has about 4000 plays on it after spending 2 years at Flipout London but did me proud.
[quoted image]

Our Alien's have good company. Mine is from the last batch of LE's out of Australia. I don't remember any issues out of the box. I adjusted the right guide rail in the chestburster lane to improve ball flow to the target. Over time I've had to deal with intermittent usb cables and a wire came off one of the targets.

Edit: Looking back through my posts I found the following issues.
Out of Box: Had to bend targets below xeno head forward to prevent jaw from rubbing. Revive and Scream lights were out, reseating connector fixed problem.
Over Time: Replaced one I/O board when changing USB cable didn't solve the issue.

Alien LE (resized).jpg Added 42 days ago:

Retried problem board after replacing and rerouting cable away from pop bumper coils and it works fine now.

#28970 47 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Our Alien's have good company. Mine is from the last batch of LE's out of Australia. I don't remember any issues out of the box. I adjusted the right guide rail in the chestburster lane to improve ball flow to the target. Over time I've had to deal with intermittent usb cables and a wire came off one of the targets.
Edit: Looking back through my posts I found the following issues.
Out of Box: Had to bend targets below xeno head forward to prevent jaw from rubbing. Revive and Scream lights were out, reseating connector fixed problem.
Over Time: Replaced one I/O board when changing USB cable didn't solve the issue.[quoted image]

Beautiful!!! I think blue was my favorite, though ended up w green as I just wanted one period when offered and knowing the lineage….

#28971 46 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Beautiful!!! I think blue was my favorite, though ended up w green as I just wanted one period when offered and knowing the lineage….

I think the blue works well with the LE Aliens coloring. My favorite color scheme for an LE would probably be the black trim (or a better color green powdercoat) with Aurich's iconic green Alien backglass.

#28972 46 days ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I’m looking for a part number or a direct replacement for the LCD screen in the playfield it’s hard to dig through all these posts anybody have that part number or link ?
Update:
I did find the link in another thread.
As well as this one as a back up.
http://www.displaysscreen.com/original-q101irela1-innolux-screen-101-1280800-q101irela1-display-p-8209.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwk6-LBhBZEiwAOUUDp0iFTa2BeAhNK_fS-80-ieU4MXw3Qvd574rLej7j8WGjixDR5X5LMhoCnEsQAvD_BwE

The display driver boards used in the backbox display and playfield are the same only the jumpers are set differently.

The backbox display (shown below) is set to 5v where the playfield display is set to 3.3v

video contoller (resized).jpg
#28973 46 days ago
Quoted from dts:

Agree with you guys, thankful to have an original!
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful unit you have there bud, did you add LED light strip to the backboard? The space jockey looks so bright and clear!

#28974 46 days ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Beautiful unit you have there bud, did you add LED light strip to the backboard? The space jockey looks so bright and clear!

There is a three way splitter for the EL panels to the sides and back on the LE, which I'd definitely do on a Standard if I owned one. Looks amazing!

#28975 46 days ago

I have a nos spare set of the inner egg sideboards and jockey backboard here without the elblade . What are they worth?

#28976 46 days ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

I have a nos spare set of the inner egg sideboards and jockey backboard here without the elblade . What are they worth?

I just ordered a backboard plastic for $71 from gameroom.no. Looks like the sides are $240.

#28977 46 days ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Is the backboard made of acrylic or PET-G ?

#28978 45 days ago

All parts made by Heighway are made of acrylic!
I have changed all the playfield plastics and the backpanel (jockey) to PET-G with much better resolution.
Unfortunately PET-G parts for the ALIEN are rare to find these days and the backpanel was custom made and no more available.
But believe me, some playfield plastic broke apart, too.
There're some spots that doesn't matter what material is used... they just break.
I also use small Protectors made of 1,5 mm PET-G to have less damage as possible, but sometimes desaster strikes.

#28979 45 days ago

My machine was upgraded by the previous owner - IO boards were replaced with later revision and maybe the MPU was changed too. I have done a few tidying jobs, such as rerouting and tidying the cabling in the cabinet, relocating the amplifier to below the right flipper button so I can adjust it more easily, and some additional cable ties under the playfield. Also, I rebuilt the connectors on the jaw servo board because the servo plug kept falling off.

The only outstanding issue I have is the LED flickering when the right flippers operate but it's not that noticable.

#28980 45 days ago

The only outstanding issue I have is the LED flickering when the right flippers operate but it's not that noticable.

I have the same issue , and I have a late build. Never found the issue and does not bother me

#28981 45 days ago

Brian tried to eleminate this issue with the latest update version 1.4.
In the service menu there's an option to swap slingshot and flipper coil.
If you choose this option you have to swap the wiring of both coils, too.
I did this on my LE and on the resurrected standard machine... in my opinion it's better but a little bit of flickering still remain.
Obiously this an effect caused by design because the LED may interferre by magnetic impulse of the coils.

#28982 45 days ago

The I/O boards have ridiculous amount of horsepower in them ( even the sensor switches have unused circuitry).

Sadly put a cheap USB connector on them and never really sussed out the use, which caused some problems. Suspect a rev3 of the board, w only required processing would have been cheaper, more robust,and no side effects.

Grateful all the led boards are sockets, as you don't have to change the whole board if one goes bad.

I'm slowly getting familiar w the PROC system/ layout in my TBL, and the likeness is remarkable.

If they would have only went that route.....

Anyway, Brian's last code Rev had some of his brilliance added to minimize the flickering effect..only see/ notice it now as I know what to look for...very minimal

#28983 45 days ago

I haven't noticed the flicker. Haven't made an effort to look for it though.
Edit: even before 1.4

#28984 45 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I haven't noticed the flicker. Haven't made an effort to look for it though.

Not prevalent at all w 1.4

#28985 44 days ago

Regarding this discussion I remember that someone from PB said there will be an upgraded IO-Board available.
Have heard of a revision 1.4c but never seen one... probably fairy tales?
Anyway, the IO-Boards in revision 1.4b do their work and I have never heard of anyone who has had a broken one in the last months.

#28986 44 days ago

I have all 1.4 boards and flicker is still there anybody know an way to eliminate this problem?

#28987 44 days ago

As I wrote before, it depends on playfield design and where the coils and PCBs are located.
It not possible to eleminate this issue completely... you have to live with it.

#28988 43 days ago

Hi Alien brothers and sisters. I turned my alien on for the first time in over a year today. What a great moment. I played a bunch of games then updated to 1.4 (from 1.2). Went smoothly.. until I power cycled the game. Now I get this below. Any thoughts? I want to be back in pinball land so much but this makes me tired

D2483BC2-260E-4C56-B528-BE9CFABA6EAC (resized).jpeg

#28989 43 days ago

I had that before try to cycle it a few times . Maybe time also to change the cmos batt?

#28990 43 days ago

Reinstall the entire image and do the updates again.
Sometimes the SSD is malfunctional due to checksum error while updating!

#28991 43 days ago

Welcome back TimeBandit!
I've been wondering where you went. Sorry to see you are having bad relations with an old girlfriend.
Pinball, it is what it is..... but less stressful on the body and mind than car and bike racing!
Try that CMOS battery first and then you'll probably have to do Averell's advice.
Mine did that once but self corrected on reboot. Computers, go figure and we're making AI?

#28992 43 days ago

Just seeing Mike post warms my Alien heart!!!

#28993 42 days ago

Was having an issue with the I/O board locking up after a bunch of pop bumper hits so the upper right flipper would go dead along with the scoop kick out and a few other things. I got a new cable and kept it outside of the harness so now it's no where near the pop bumper coils or drive wires. Problem is gone.

I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues. This info has been posted before but figure it can't hurt to show it again for anyone coming into this thread late.

This was the problem board. Going to retry the board I took out to see if it works now as it had the same symptoms. Edit: put the old I/O board back in and it's working fine now.
aliencable1 (resized).jpg
Added support here too.
aliencable2 (resized).jpg
aliencable3 (resized).jpg
I finally added the wire harness supports someone else recommended a while ago. Hopefully they will prevent future issues.
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-ladder-tree-wiring-harness-support-3-12-tall.html

#28994 42 days ago

Watchout for routing near any of the coils, lots of sporadic interference there!
Also, try to keep tension off the USB connector on the IO board , they're not put on too strong and they could break the soldering.
That's a fun one to figure out!

#28995 41 days ago

Anyone know of any EASTER EGGS on the OG?

#28996 37 days ago

After having done my first SSD rebuild now, I feel I have this machine completely under control. I've obviously done a lot of work on it with the lighting and switches, but had always hoped the main brain would just hold together. Well, it didn't, lol.
Two years ago I bought two replacement motherboards. Good decision. I broke the PC and it was cold and dark. Had the newy ready to drop in. With help from Averell and knockerlover (thanks guys!!) I am back up and running. Not hard at all once you break your cherry.

Just one thing I noticed.. there is a lot of info around on rebuilding the disk image all based around command line inputs. I may have missed it but can't find discussed anywhere the image writer utility in Ubuntu. Just plug a mouse into the pinball machine, right click on the .img file and open with image writer. It then rebuilds the SSD itself..

9BAD9116-2413-47DF-9600-FB7CDA17018C (resized).jpeg

213816F9-C656-4F17-9332-3A66E033F52E (resized).jpeg

#28997 37 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

After having done my first SSD rebuild now, I feel I have this machine completely under control. I've obviously done a lot of work on it with the lighting and switches, but had always hoped the main brain would just hold together. Well, it didn't, lol.
Two years ago I bought two replacement motherboards. Good decision. I broke the PC and it was cold and dark. Had the newy ready to drop in. With help from Averell and knockerlover (thanks guys!!) I am back up and running. Not hard at all once you break your cherry.
Just one thing I noticed.. there is a lot of info around on rebuilding the disk image all based around command line inputs. I may have missed it but can't find discussed anywhere the image writer utility in Ubuntu. Just plug a mouse into the pinball machine, right click on the .img file and open with image writer. It then rebuilds the SSD itself..
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Good to see you're back up Mike!!! I haven't had to remake mine ( yet), but have a couple spares w SSD imaged on them for just this.

Tested both ( some time back) for peace of mind, and she came thru fine....

About those LED's you made........definitely interested in completing my sling set w the lenses, along w your GI upfits if you ever get to running small batches.

Amazing difference, and suspect some owners here may have never known about them ( hence bringing it up here).

Always great to see you in the Alien thread!!!!!...mark

#28998 37 days ago

Got this on my machine for about a year now , and I never shared it for some reason

I took a picture from Internet and remade it made a new back ground and some high res scaling. Then I printed it on verry thin sticker so it looked like it was part of the machine painted

I can share the PDF 600 dpi file if someone else want to make it or have it printed at the shop .

80147980-E633-48ED-9A5D-0C32B0E2B1F7 (resized).png82001E3F-9261-4C42-8943-A7F6CFB59880 (resized).png8B0330BB-F230-4522-95F2-84E07A93F5A4 (resized).pngBDDC6DD8-AEAC-4FB5-B0F5-1BD65458AE80 (resized).png
#28999 37 days ago

Beautiful!
I would like to get the file and be the first with it on this side of the pond.
Great work.

#29000 37 days ago

Oke I will upload the L+R side tommorow . The L side is wider on purpose you will see when you print. And they are long. So you can wrap the stick all around the bezel and then screw back in so the edges never will come loose . You can line her up with her lip almost at the screw . Always a perfect fit!

Now we don’t have to miss ripley! Only thing we need to alter 1.4 to 1.5 soft with more ripley sounds and scènes and a little bit more shaker and we have a complete game!

There are 29,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 580 of 582.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside