pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 577 of 601.
#28801 2 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

My answer is...........How many things can you make with "toast"?

I like toast...but more of an English muffin kind of guy.

( just jumped on line and saw this)

#28802 2 years ago

Pardon my ignorance but where can I download the latest code please?

#28804 2 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

My answer is...........How many things can you make with "toast"?

Ok, so you cant have the new code on it

#28805 2 years ago

Brian is working on this right now.
He will first check if the code from PB-ALIEN can be ported to the HW-ALIEN and vice versa.
Be patient, I'm sure we will get an update for HW-ALIEN, soon.

#28806 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

He will first check if the code from PB-ALIEN can be ported to the HW-ALIEN and vice versa.

It will be Amazing, cant wait

#28807 2 years ago

The machine is neither dead nor forgotten... there is a lot of potential in it.

#28808 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

The machine is neither dead nor forgotten... there is a lot of potential in it.

Happy to see that, i ll keep mine preciously !

#28809 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:The machine is neither dead nor forgotten... there is a lot of potential in it.

+1...Brian's passion ( and mad skills) for this game brought us 1.3 and 1.4...very mature code as is... w some minor tweaks that Averell references would really finish this off.

Those that have one, and vested the time under the hood are simply in hypersleep mode at the moment ( me included). Playing and enjoying the game. Not much to post that hasn't already been covered.

It's good to see more, new Aliens come out, with factory support, without comparing them to the original. Maybe PB persists, and Alien will finally have a Sheriff in town. Only time will tell.

#28810 2 years ago

I kind of wish our older machines had that rear subway to complete modes, that would be awesome. But I cant see adding that a simple thing to do
haha.

#28811 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I kind of wish our older machines had that rear subway to complete modes, that would be awesome. But I cant see adding that a simple thing to do
haha.

Has the subway, just not the rear entrance to it...

#28812 2 years ago

Did not realize that was new to the PB model. Interesting. I would say it makes the game...easier most likely? I will say it is cool when the alien throws the ball around that orbit and it goes in.

Will be great if they can work the PB code updates/fixes to also work with the HWY ones!

#28813 2 years ago

(at my desk skimming through the threads before my 3:30. lol):

Hwy running 1.4 truly has very few bugs, and plays very reliably depending on the build. Alot of what is going on w the PB version is unique to that game, hence several updates required to get it stable.

There were much bigger problems w the early games which many suffered through to get them somewhat reliable. Mainly mechanical and early releases of the I/O boards, along w the build quality that the remake game seems to suffer from now ( just reading, don't own a remake).

With those being the vast majority of what is living over here out of the <>200 made, it's no wonder the game was noted for reliability issues. It was Beta testing on steroids to promote cash flow, but put alot of problematic machines here in the States. You start flipping those, people have no idea what they were getting into (which build was it)...all the ads stated "working perfectly".....you get the picture. Who were you gonna call? Ghostbusters, lol. Dream theme, high $$$, but unknown build quality w no accountability....flippers dream, owners nightmare.

Would be amazing if PB would acknowledge and support the original, addressing it's need for schematics, parts, and updates specific to that hardware, OS, etc.

Have no idea if it will ever happen, but the entire Alien community would benefit imho....hence my hope that the remake can stay alive along w the factory.

#28814 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Would be amazing if PB would acknowledge and support the original, addressing it's need for schematics, parts, and updates specific to that hardware, OS, etc

That would be very very nice...!

#28815 2 years ago

So what chance is it we will get code update for highway Alien? It feels like we would not get the pinball brothers alien code. All say we will, but i dint see it. They want us to buy their alien pinball.

#28816 2 years ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

So what chance is it we will get code update for highway Alien? It feels like we would not get the pinball brothers alien code. All say we will, but i dint see it. They want us to buy their alien pinball.

HW doesn’t need, nor benefit from PB code. Different internals. As Averell stated, IPDB has the original code.

Of course they want you to buy their game. If you want a NIB Alien, it’s the only version available. Hell, I was even going to buy one when it was rumored CGC was going to remake them ( just to see what they did with it….not parting w mine)

Many people (including me) lost their deposits, or paid in full and never got a game. They essentially sent a container or so of random builds to new $$$ in a desperate attempt to “rob Peter to pay Paul”. Those machines broke ( a lot) …..documented in this thread and various others.

The true community is quite tight knit, and the final builds, along w those whose owners had the chops and willingness to sort through the earlier build games were rewarded w a true, timeless classic. I’m grateful, period.

We can hope PB gives the ones that gave the most support for this grail theme, as opposed to just running it into the ground. Who knows?

#28817 2 years ago

In my opinion, the HW-ALIEN now plays very well and is stable.
We now know all the problems and can help ourselves.
Most sources where we get spare parts are also known to us and what is missing or what is no longer available - we just rebuild.
There is no need for further modifications or assemblies from the PB-ALIEN, the machine is good as it is.
A few minor changes to the code and then it is perfect.
As MK6PIN said, we can be thankful to own such a unique piece and to have been part of getting the thing back on the road.

#28818 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

HW doesn’t need, nor benefit from PB code. Different internals. As Averell stated, IPDB has the original code.
Of course they want you to buy their game. If you want a NIB Alien, it’s the only version available. Hell, I was even going to buy one when it was rumored CGC was going to remake them ( just to see what they did with it….not parting w mine)
Many people (including me) lost their deposits, or paid in full and never got a game. They essentially sent a container or so of random builds to new $$$ in a desperate attempt to “rob Peter to pay Paul”. Those machines broke ( a lot) …..documented in this thread and various others.
The true community is quite tight knit, and the final builds, along w those whose owners had the chops and willingness to sort through the earlier build games were rewarded w a true, timeless classic. I’m grateful, period.
We can hope PB gives the ones that gave the most support for this grail theme, as opposed to just running it into the ground. Who knows?

Quoted from Averell:

In my opinion, the HW-ALIEN now plays very well and is stable.
We now know all the problems and can help ourselves.
Most sources where we get spare parts are also known to us and what is missing or what is no longer available - we just rebuild.
There is no need for further modifications or assemblies from the PB-ALIEN, the machine is good as it is.
A few minor changes to the code and then it is perfect.
As MK6PIN said, we can be thankful to own such a unique piece and to have been part of getting the thing back on the road.

As proud owner you guys are i would not buy this table now when it will not gonna get more real updates that it needs, for me its a beautoful pin, but dead. I will order safe and go for pinball brothers.

#28819 2 years ago

That is a good decision but .... the software is no argument. HW Alien is playing perfect, the software is on a better level than others !

#28820 2 years ago

As proud owner you guys are i would not buy this table now when it will not gonna get more real updates that it needs, for me its a beautoful pin, but dead. I will order safe and go for pinball brothers.

As you should...you can't " order" an original. The game is not " dead" ...far from it,, but rather unavailable to purchase new. Best of luck w your purchase.

(you'll probably want to quantify "dead" and "safe" in regards to Alien or any Pin btw..... ...)

#28821 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

There are way too many differences. Physical ball lock in new version, and extra magnet. Plus running different hardware.

#28822 2 years ago

Brian got in contact with me some days ago, so he would know what to do.
I gave him a list with known issues and he took a closer look what's similar and what's not.
I'm sure there's an update available, soon.

#28823 2 years ago

No way I'd trade my "dead" original for PB version. The original is a work of art and complete.

#28824 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Hwy running 1.4 truly has very few bugs, and plays very reliably depending on the build. Alot of what is going on w the PB version is unique to that game, hence several updates required to get it stable.

Very true. There have been maybe two dozen minor bug fixes which could be applied back to the HW code. And nearly all of these are issues that I've never seen reported before by anyone. They are mostly rules/lighting bugs and won't do anything to make broken hardware behave any better.

There are two exceptions that I can think of: we changed the logic on the upper loop to score on a single switch instead of requiring both of them, so super jackpots are more reliable. And we improved the timing on the magnet ball grab so that it works more often that not. Both of those changes could be put on the old code.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Would be amazing if PB would acknowledge and support the original, addressing it's need for schematics, parts, and updates specific to that

I can't speak for Pinball Brothers. I have indicated to them that putting out another HW code version is possible, but it's up to them to decide what to do. I won't be releasing any new code on my own like before. Right now I'm just making an inventory of what could be done.

- Brian

#28825 2 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Very true. There have been maybe two dozen minor bug fixes which could be applied back to the HW code. And nearly all of these are issues that I've never seen reported before by anyone. They are mostly rules/lighting bugs and won't do anything to make broken hardware behave any better.
There are two exceptions that I can think of: we changed the logic on the upper loop to score on a single switch instead of requiring both of them, so super jackpots are more reliable. And we improved the timing on the magnet ball grab so that it works more often that not. Both of those changes could be put on the old code.

I can't speak for Pinball Brothers. I have indicated to them that putting out another HW code version is possible, but it's up to them to decide what to do. I won't be releasing any new code on my own like before. Right now I'm just making an inventory of what could be done.
- Brian

(caught me at my desk reading threads in between meetings, lol):

What you've done for the machine and community is nothing short of amazing. Taking care of the bugs in 1.3, then a bit more tweaking in 1.4 on your own speaks volumes to your commitment and passion for this game!!!

PB is fortunate to have you on the remake and hope it works out as well as possible. Appreciate you even lifting the thought of adding the minor tweaks to them. Their decision of course, but given everything (I do mean everything) that many have endured over the past 4-5 years, it could really solidify and unite the community along w their status, as opposed to the divisiveness that is naturally going to occur. In their best interest to support the lineage. Just my take.

Regardless, I appreciate you and the rest of the US team making a true gem and classic out of the original. I'll leave the hobby someday, but suspect this machine stays regardless. As stated at least a dozen times over the years.....I have a lineup I love, and then there's Alien.... ......mark

#28827 2 years ago

I have just been dormant lately and have been focusing on my other pins now that Alien is running great. I still read the thread though. I have done so much to my pin with all of the fantastic help from this thread. The game runs fantastic now. I have to do some very minor things still but they are not critical or specific to Alien.

#28828 2 years ago
Quoted from waywinn:

I have just been dormant lately and have been focusing on my other pins now that Alien is running great. I still read the thread though. I have done so much to my pin with all of the fantastic help from this thread. The game runs fantastic now. I have to do some very minor things still but they are not critical or specific to Alien.

A great " checking out of the threads tonight" post for me to see. This game is so special in final form. Doubt there will be another like it..

#28829 2 years ago
Quoted from waywinn:

Very funny ... we have also in the german forums dicussion about HW Alien and PB Alien. One guy owned both versions in the past and he had less problems with HW Alien than the PB version. What a crazy world.
I bought my HW Alien and expected to have it many many times open for repairs and justage but ... nothing. Some little problems, all solved.
Therefor my TBL is very often open to clear a stuck target, a hanging ball, etc , pp.

So the HW Alien was, and is, a great pinball machine. It is sad that PB does not learn from the past, run in many problems. I never thought that only one person on planet earth ever would say: The HW is the technical better machine with less problems.

The new LE-version is also kind of a joke to me. We old pinheads with our HW Aliens have most of this features installed. The "open eggs" are a nice gimmick but to declare it a feature of a special version is kind of a joke. Also the sideblades and backboard with illumination .... not worth several hundred dollars.
Just my opinion ... still happy to have the HW with open eggs, cool apron, etc, pp

#28830 2 years ago

Heighway LE version is so much better then this LV, What did the HW version cost???

#28831 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Heighway LE version is so much better then this LV, What did the HW version cost???

Here is the big cost saving LE to bring maximum of profit without any risk nor change.
Seriously, this is a joke, right? 4 years after the HW Alien, here is the big reveal this featureless pin...
HW owners, keep your treasure. Wow.

#28832 2 years ago

So sad that no new mechanical parts to the playfield been added, big competition in 2021 many manufacturers, we are used to get more mechanical marvel for our money, what it this????
Fed add ons on a standard version?? I’m sad about this

#28833 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

I payed 9500 for a late green LE with everything installed. That was not normal this days due HW just build pins with material available. So some are missing shakers, others missing sideart ... My machine was imported from RS in Austria and he unboxed it and checked everything.
The result was a out of the box working Alien.
With the time some mods came and the wonderfull apron from Felix.
I remember the first HW Aliens were about 7K EURO.

#28834 2 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

I payed 9500 for a late green LE with everything installed. That was not normal this days due HW just build pins with material available. So some are missing shakers, others missing sideart ... My machine was imported from RS in Austria and he unboxed it and checked everything.
The result was a out of the box working Alien.
With the time some mods came and the wonderfull apron from Felix.
I remember the first HW Aliens were about 7K EURO.

DID the LE version 7000usd?? thats crazy cheap, can you share the picture of that apron buddy?

#28835 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

DID the LE version 7000usd?? thats crazy cheap, can you share the picture of that apron buddy?

I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with current events, but that was 4-5 years ago. Pins are way more expensive now. And with that price, MANY of them didn't work. Way beyond anything broken on PB. While you can buy a HWY now that finally has all the kinks fixed (by the people who bought them), the PB just came out. I understand there is some animosity over the whole ordeal, but this isn't a 'OG vs New' situation. We can debate why they didn't fix certain designs for sure, but so much gaslighting and pretending the bad history isn't there. There is no denying it that the 7777 price tag on this is cheap by todays standards.

#28836 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with current events, but that was 4-5 years ago. Pins are way more expensive now. And with that price, MANY of them didn't work. Way beyond anything broken on PB. While you can buy a HWY now that finally has all the kinks fixed (by the people who bought them), the PB just came out. I understand there is some animosity over the whole ordeal, but this isn't a 'OG vs New' situation. We can debate why they didn't fix certain designs for sure, but so much gaslighting and pretending the bad history isn't there. There is no denying it that the 7777 price tag on this is cheap by todays standards.

The story is so much deeper than that, but you are correct....all the $$$ in the world doesn't get u a final run HW Alien NIB now.

PB chose their path ( for fiscal reasons imho)...is what it is now. People want a new/ trouble free Alien. They got the first part. The rest? Whatever...

My game kicks ass ( along w unobtantium apron) and comparing to current PB offering brings no value to anyone....just not worth the bandwidth anymore..who cares? Not me

#28837 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'll post over on this side of the Alien story, but am really glad PB has brought a remake to life. I like the look of the LV art package, and think it is fantastic that more people can enjoy this game. If I hadn't picked up a late run LE last year, I'd buy the LV now. But having owned the original for a good part of a year now, with minimal issues beyond normal pinball ownership, the remake does look a bit cheap in comparison. And to be fair, it probably is. The cabinet alone on the original is like a custom work of art, disagree with people who don't like it. It really adds to the experience that you are playing something extraterrestrial. The weight alone, and larger edge panel for the glass are pretty amazing. The larger screen on the backglass and playfield screen immediately immerse you in the universe of Alien. The side lights, backlight EL panels, create amazing atmosphere. Hope the remake catches some of that, as the gameplay should be basically the same with the exception of the extra magnet, which sounds cool. I'd enjoy having an LV next to my original for comparison, but already know which one I'd keep.

#28838 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'll post over on this side of the Alien story, but am really glad PB has brought a remake to life. I like the look of the LV art package, and think it is fantastic that more people can enjoy this game. If I hadn't picked up a late run LE last year, I'd buy the LV now. But having owned the original for a good part of a year now, with minimal issues beyond normal pinball ownership, the remake does look a bit cheap in comparison. And to be fair, it probably is. The cabinet alone on the original is like a custom work of art, disagree with people who don't like it. It really adds to the experience that you are playing something extraterrestrial. The weight alone, and larger edge panel for the glass are pretty amazing. The larger screen on the backglass and playfield screen immediately immerse you in the universe of Alien. The side lights, backlight EL panels, create amazing atmosphere. Hope the remake catches some of that, as the gameplay should be basically the same with the exception of the extra magnet, which sounds cool. I'd enjoy having an LV next to my original for comparison, but already know which one I'd keep.

Yeah, I don't disagree that the HWY is a work of art asthetically.

#28839 2 years ago

After the PB LV reveal .... I really love my late build HWY LE version.

#28840 2 years ago

Seems to me All the HW Aliens are the actuall LE now (with PF screens) and the PB versions all just become like standards, with "LV" just being a tarted up standard.

To me they have now made their choice to not have the playfield video aspect. Could have had broader appeal, and more "complete" Aliens out there, but now it is just the rare HW version that gets to be special and fully immersive.

#28841 2 years ago

Yes, and you have a real knocker inside, too.

#28842 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Yes, and you have a real knocker inside, too.

But does it have a real ball lock? Lol

#28843 2 years ago

No, it has a simulated device working without any issues, a playfield screen and the best rulesheet ever written in pinball history.

#28844 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

But does it have a real ball lock? Lol

Nor does MM and a variety of other sought after games and no one cares.

This is the HW thread, and what was made crystal clear to me is PB owners enjoy the kool-aid over there. Theme lately is to bash the original along w those that actually own/ supported the game for years without any factory support..Embarrassing.

Made my final post in that thread last night, and believe the same can be expected the other way around.

Enjoy your machine...it will never be an original and always a lesser game to me.....because it is.

#28845 2 years ago

Someone I’m sure can make a physical ball lock for the hw version . That shouldn’t be that hard . Get to it !

#28846 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Someone I’m sure can make a physical ball lock for the hw version . That shouldn’t be that hard . Get to it !

Way cooler thing being worked on....compatible for HW version only. Just sorting some details out.

Guess my MM and TBL will have to hit the auction blocks as they don't have the physical lock...how dare they!!

And my TZ doesn't have the 3rd magnet ( was advised not to bother when restoring it)...guess it's gotta go too..... Hypersleep is a difficult shot as it should be, but I manage to get it enough (only an average player).

Kool-Aid my friend...kool aid. Go through your modes while staring at the ball/ shots and playfield screen simultaniously (not peripheral), and enjoy the impact of a large Xeno trying to attack, chestbuster blowing out of a chest, or egg farm blazing that you swear you feel the heat from the large monitor (yes peripheral).

#28847 2 years ago

#28848 2 years ago

Man I was having a great game until of course something had to happen and the stupid tongue magnet came off during multi ball .

9BB28B39-8D53-49EC-9217-AD59D64C43E0 (resized).jpeg9BB28B39-8D53-49EC-9217-AD59D64C43E0 (resized).jpeg
#28849 2 years ago

Averell i really hope they can make use of the shaker much more as the only update for the 1.4. As the rest is already almost perfect as is.

#28850 2 years ago

We will see...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 577 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/577?hl=touchingevil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.