pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 574 of 601.
#28651 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Every bit counts
The path to the front was why I moved the PC to the side, so that it could be within the duct, and then also leaving the clear channel up the middle for the cable management. So now for my cabinet the air coming in the back at the bottom vents must come all the way forward to the front boards laterally, and then it can move upward once it gets to the cover piece over the Cabinet Power Board and Power supplies. This is similar in effect to the hose duct upgrade but with a duct of much larger volume and a little less resistance to flow.
My choice for where to put a fan for most usefulness was right behind the coin door pointing at the lower flipper coils. Helping to shed heat from flipper coils and that hot lower I/O board. Went through a 3 hour Flip Frenzy the other weekend without flipper fade or heat issues.
The only issue was one instance of regular play launching all of the balls onto the playfield. I reset the game, wiggled connectors on the ball trough, and it didn't happen again.
I still have to put vents in the backbox and close the vents in the back of the cabinet. That is about to happen now as well. It is time to strip it down to sort out the wobly playfield protector, a thorough clean, and apply some mods that have been waiting.

Onward!!!...

#28652 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I can send you the 3D file and you can go to your local print shop.

can i please have the file as well?

#28653 2 years ago

Of course, send me your email.

#28654 2 years ago

Hello all,

Jay from IPDB has contacted me, I will send him the update files and chang logs for the ALIEN tonight.

In the future everyone can get the updates there.

#28655 2 years ago

An new challenge for me... these plastic parts for the Xeno.
I try to redesign them...

DSCN8750 (resized).JPGDSCN8750 (resized).JPG

DSCN8753 (resized).JPGDSCN8753 (resized).JPG

#28656 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

An new challenge for me... these plastic parts for the Xeno.
I try to redesign them...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

b93981fc6a0522e322f6cdfecff95816ebb88a7b (resized).jpgb93981fc6a0522e322f6cdfecff95816ebb88a7b (resized).jpg

In red there, the profile that I trimmed out in that void so that there could be clearance for the tongue jaw mod that I made.

#28657 2 years ago

Ah yes, I remember - very funny idea.
First I have to redesign matching parts.

#28658 2 years ago

I also relocated the jaw pivot about 4mm rearward, so that now the Xeno has more under-bite, and this mainly solves the lower jaw fouling with the S/U targets issue.

The counterweight on the jaw.
The servo saver linkage, and relocate this servo link to outside of the body. Isn't that an exo-skeleton now? (More funny ideas )
The counterweight on the back of the tounge.

I'm very happy with the way it looks and works now. Most heard comment at the State Pinball Open other weekend, on start Ambush... "THAT's Cool!".

Only thing is the jaw still looks a little out because of the broken upper tooth. I have a new head with all it's teeth for after the teardown. Actually, maybe I'll turn to dentistry, and try a bit of airbrushing!. The head on there since I got it has a big split up it from being over tightened once upon a time. I repaired with heat and pushed back together, but it would still really want a touchup or repaint to cover the split mark.

#28659 2 years ago

I think you can repair the head.
As you said, cleaning and glueing together, sanding and new painting.... maybe some airbrush and that's it.

#28660 2 years ago

News on ElFoil !!!

A first set from the manufacturer is on its way to me for testing.
If it fits , production will start and ministryofpinball.com will sell them.

I will post pictures from the advanced ElFoil. It will become more secure while screwing in the foils, no more screws through the high voltage area ...

#28661 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I think you can repair the head.
As you said, cleaning and glueing together, sanding and new painting.... maybe some airbrush and that's it.

Yes I already repaired it. Heat as well was needed, I think the whole side piece would have surely snapped off if I tried to correct the distortion (in the vice) without about 150deg.C of heat. It is very stiff/non-malleable material. It's good now!. But, the crack line remains visible, although barely noticeable. I skipped the sanding and re-painting part due to just focusing on doing what I thought was needed for sorting ALL the problems with this head. And also skipped the dentistry

Done a bit of dabbling in airbrushing, so might as well give it a crack since I have a reasonable quality airbrush.

Btw, I was reluctant at first to drill a new pair of holes for the jaw pivot, to move it back. Could not go "a little bit" very easily, it was basically a full hole diameter + a millimeter as a minimum. I am very glad I did though, now. Same goes alongside that with moving the servo back and adding the "protector" link. This has the counterweight aspect also though (which also partly cures a rare ball hangup behind head lol). Gives the jaw maybe 10-15 degrees extra rotation which means it can park properly closed and still open all the way. AND resist blowing anything when the jaw inevitably gets hung up on the tongue (if (when) it stalls extended eg.). It did this trick at least once on the show weekend, and I didn't see it happen, but a ball search or something and it had corrected itself and continued operating how it should after that, by the time I got there. I'm okay with it being on our little location here now.

#28662 2 years ago

Very good
Do you have any news regarding shipment of the bracket?
I have the information that all deliveries still remain at IPZ Frankfurt... I cannot believe this!
This is week four and nothing happens?

#28663 2 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

News on ElFoil !!!
A first set from the manufacturer is on its way to me for testing.
If it fits , production will start and ministryofpinball.com will sell them.
I will post pictures from the advanced ElFoil. It will become more secure while screwing in the foils, no more screws through the high voltage area ...

Awesome news Tom. Can't wait!

#28664 2 years ago

Hello all,

Jay has provided the update files on IPDB-ALIEN.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6419

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#28665 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Very good
Do you have any news regarding shipment of the bracket?
I have the information that all deliveries still remain at IPZ Frankfurt... I cannot believe this!
This is week four and nothing happens?

I put the number you sent me into DHL Aust. website, which gave me this message:

The item was handed over to the International Logistics Center on 26.04.2021 to be forwarded to the country of destination. Unfortunately the tracking and tracing of the destination country does not offer a data interface with the tracking and tracing of Deutsche Post AG. Further information is also provided by the website of the country of destination.
26.04.2021 02:49 Local time

My guess is that it is on it's way, but there is limited tracking offered, therefore your last update might be the last location in origin country. ie. no updates listed.

#28666 2 years ago

Yes, I can confirm your guess, because other deliveries to the US are same. Some were already delivered, other are still on it's way, but no indication where they really are.

#28667 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Yes, I can confirm your guess, because other deliveries to the US are same. Some were already delivered, other are still on it's way, but no indication where they really are.

Yep...my tracking didn't even update for over 2 weeks, then just showed up at my door yesterday ...crazy

#28668 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Yep...my tracking didn't even update for over 2 weeks, then just showed up at my door yesterday ...crazy

so keep watching them boats float around on the internet pics people!

#28669 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

so keep watching them boats float around on the internet pics people!

Just saw this, lol...fortunately I was waiting on a part from someone and knew what was coming...

1 week later
#28670 2 years ago

Hi guys

I remember reading sometime back about a solution to fix the buzzing left flipper noise. Am I mistaken ?

Hopefully the people hear can give me some guidance.

Thanks

Alien is still my favorite of all time

#28671 2 years ago
Quoted from Freedom:

Hi guys
I remember reading sometime back about a solution to fix the buzzing left flipper noise. Am I mistaken ?
Hopefully the people hear can give me some guidance.
Thanks
Alien is still my favorite of all time

In the 1.4 code there is the option to swap left sling and left flipper, as the design mix up of control circuits is the cause of the excessive buzz.

That is, you can swap the wiring of the two items, then select option to swap control of them in the options menu.

#28672 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

In the 1.4 code there is the option to swap left sling and left flipper, as the design mix up of control circuits is the cause of the excessive buzz.
That is, you can swap the wiring of the two items, then select option to swap control of them in the options menu.

Thank you

#28673 2 years ago

Here's the first print of the Xeno plastic parts.
Will check next week how the gear will move in it.

#28674 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Here's the first print of the Xeno plastic parts.
Will check next week how the gear will move in it.
[quoted image]

It is no good! ... the relief is not squared to accept the tongue jaw mod?!!

#28675 2 years ago

cf127c09e0930225c08ad198ef3653a55ec8cea5 (resized).pngcf127c09e0930225c08ad198ef3653a55ec8cea5 (resized).png

#28676 2 years ago

Original part first... we can change that if we know the gear will fit and work properly.

#28677 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Original part first... we can change that if we know the gear will fit and work properly.

It makes no difference for the original part, no disadvantage, just that tongue jaw can fit, meaning I think All (one) variant should provide the option.

Just saying.

For a Stainless jaw as I used though, also includes a linear counterweight on the back end of the tongue rack. So it wouldn't be for everyone anyway.

I found the weight of the little SS jaw added with a ball on the magnet was too close to borderline and sometimes stalled the tongue retracting. The counterweight I put in a tube behind, made it flow beautifully. Before it would occasionally over-run and extend past the normal full extension which used to cause problems sometimes too.

My stepper motor has had a hard life, and rather noisy, but it still works. Might replace it. This is the experimental hack head anyway, development. I have brand new update heads in box. I will do most of the mods the same repeat.

#28678 2 years ago

My experience was that the support of the gear is different.
Some ALIEN had to much space and the gear "jumps" over the teeth and then the calibration doesn't work until it's resetted.
The second ALIEN I have here works much better in that case as mine does.
There were ideas to integrate a spring support to ensure the gear always has the same distance, but not so easy due to space in the assembly.

#28679 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

My experience was that the support of the gear is different.
Some ALIEN had to much space and the gear "jumps" over the teeth and then the calibration doesn't work until it's resetted.
The second ALIEN I have here works much better in that case as mine does.
There were ideas to integrate a spring support to ensure the gear always has the same distance, but not so easy due to space in the assembly.

Ahh I see. My gear has not too much clearance and doesn't jump. Although it is plastic gear that is working fine, where the new ones here are metal as per latest version.

I am using a weight not a spring too. Also not in the same way or reason as I think you are describing. I just created a counterweight, to help retract the tongue, up the slope..

I should try to take some pictures I guess (:

#28680 2 years ago

ElFoil proto arrived:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-alien-elfoil-replacement-is-coming#post-6323103

IMG_1325 (resized).JPEGIMG_1325 (resized).JPEG
The new repro ElFoil blades

IMG_1327 (resized).JPEGIMG_1327 (resized).JPEG
Front and back

IMG_1329 (resized).JPEGIMG_1329 (resized).JPEG
Original foil

IMG_1361 (resized).JPEGIMG_1361 (resized).JPEG
New foil

IMG_1370 (resized).JPEGIMG_1370 (resized).JPEG
New foil build in

I will post on vailability and prices at MinistryOfPinball.

The background: many people asked me to make a run of this ElFoil Blades since they are no longer available.
There was such a demand that it was out of my range for a Hobby project so I passed it to Bertjan from ministryofpinball.com
I did all the measuring and testing but they will be sold over him.

#28681 2 years ago

Very well done!!!

#28682 2 years ago

And here are the last two plastic parts for the Xeno - support of the gear.
The files will be added to the howto at www.flippermakt.de.
As printing material I would recommend nylon or carbon reinforced PETG.

And as mentioned by razoredge, I will change the diameter and radius to support it's JAW mod.
That modification has no effect to the function at all.

DSCN8861 (resized).JPGDSCN8861 (resized).JPG

DSCN8864 (resized).JPGDSCN8864 (resized).JPG

#28683 2 years ago

Done...

#28684 2 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

ElFoil proto arrived:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-alien-elfoil-replacement-is-coming#post-6323103
[quoted image]
The new repro ElFoil blades
[quoted image]
Front and back
[quoted image]
Original foil
[quoted image]
New foil
[quoted image]
New foil build in
I will post on vailability and prices at MinistryOfPinball.
The background: many people asked me to make a run of this ElFoil Blades since they are no longer available.
There was such a demand that it was out of my range for a Hobby project so I passed it to Bertjan from ministryofpinball.com
I did all the measuring and testing but they will be sold over him.

Nice!!!!! Think I'll order a set as we all know EL fades over time...paper, wire, whatever....thanks for doing this.....

#28685 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Done...
[quoted image]

And excellent!!!

Now if someone will source these $%#^! Xeno targets switches and the LED PCB boards there is nothing that can't be handled on our own for down the road repairs.......

Where is Mike (@timebandit)?

#28686 2 years ago

My right flipper assembly broke at the coil stop mount. No original parts available...what can i take as a replacement assembly?

IMG_3189[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3189[1] (resized).JPG
#28687 2 years ago

Use Williams parts - the entire assy is a WPC part.

#28688 2 years ago

Except the baseplate has a different screw pattern to the playfield*

Lower Left and Right flipper plates conflict with one another, unless you cut a chunk out. Also mounting the stupid filler block.

#28689 2 years ago

Hello Alien fans and fellow pin collectors, I would like to introduce myself into this small but amazingly supportive club.

As a few of you maybe aware that I just bought an OG Alien pin locally (luck out with perfect timing) in beautiful condition. I picked it up last weekend, but have been reading this thread and messaged a few of y'all about mods, parts and files a few days ago. All of them have responded back in less than a day! Extremely helpful from everyone even though some had already moved on from this pin.

Prior to buying my Alien pin, I already knew this thread is full of passionate fans and collectors. I have to admit that is one of the main reasons I decided to take a chance with the original HW Alien even in light of PB remakes. Given the infamous history and reputation of this game, I had doubts but a good feeling that I won't be feeling alone to struggle with issues and finding parts.

So far, my dealings have proved I was right about this group. The help and support I received exceeded all my expectations. Special thanks to Averell, Chipscott, Vimtoman and last but not least Mk6pin whom I'm waiting something truly special in the mail from (sorry if I forget anyone).

To anyone who is on the fence about the Heighway Alien, dive in and you will be backed by a great group. I am so glad I took the plunge. The immersion and theme integration are truly fantastic! Best sound and videos for any pin bar none.

#28690 2 years ago

Thanks to Averell, first thing first:

179A32EA-939C-4214-9E4E-4AB7E5870CEE (resized).jpeg179A32EA-939C-4214-9E4E-4AB7E5870CEE (resized).jpeg69EDAAD6-14E3-4083-916B-BAD879E7A35C (resized).jpeg69EDAAD6-14E3-4083-916B-BAD879E7A35C (resized).jpeg
#28691 2 years ago

Freeplay put the Xeno target led switchboards back up for Alien and FT as an fyi. Picked up a few, as one of mine is sticking on occasion.

Suspect very similar to what they are using all the way around ( oddly) on the VE's. At least the Xeno bracket is pretty beefy, so decent at taking a beating.

Anxious to sort a leaf switch, RGB solution, but content w replacements if needed for now.

#28692 2 years ago

@gprotein: A very good choice and congrats to your new Pin.

You've printed the rulesheet on letter format... you should use DIN A4, it's more user friendly to read.

#28693 2 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Hello Alien fans and fellow pin collectors, I would like to introduce myself into this small but amazingly supportive club..

Welcome to Alienland ( and one of my favorite Avatars, btw)!!!

An absolute deadly pin and totally consuming when you play it...fun awaits...mark

#28694 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Freeplay put the Xeno target led switchboards back up for Alien and FT as an fyi. Picked up a few, as one of mine is sticking on occasion.
Suspect very similar to what they are using all the way around ( oddly) on the VE's. At least the Xeno bracket is pretty beefy, so decent at taking a beating.
Anxious to sort a leaf switch, RGB solution, but content w replacements if needed for now.

That's useful to know, having had a bad experience trying to get some from gameroom.no - Paypal were quick to refund me at least. I was considering making my own via JLCPCB or whatever. Freeplay still don't have the whole target though and mine are close to breaking apart.

#28695 2 years ago

Working on new APC-Decals...

#28696 2 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

That's useful to know, having had a bad experience trying to get some from gameroom.no - Paypal were quick to refund me at least. I was considering making my own via JLCPCB or whatever. Freeplay still don't have the whole target though and mine are close to breaking apart.

Got refunds on all my orders too....they never emailed once ( surprise).

My switch bodies are fine, but would be nice for an entire assembly w a leaf switch. Maybe at some point....

#28697 2 years ago

#28698 2 years ago

The lettering isn't clear. First post earlier was better I rekon.

#28699 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Working on new APC-Decals...
[quoted image]

Black outline around the white letters would go well I think?

#28700 2 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

So is gameroom.no a fraud ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 574 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/574 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.