DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 570 of 601.
#28451 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:Finally got my armor back...game is more beautiful than ever. Showing pics w lights up and dimmed to playing position. Dark, dark green sparkle and black ink that just adds enough in game setting. Tired of seeing the vein effect on all the games, so wanted something that gave it class, then got creepy when the lights went down.
Side bonus- the entire magazine is coated, so the underside reflects the EL blades and lighting in an amazing way. Doubt you can tell in the pics.
There are games, and then there is Alien. Such a machine!!
(Heard these were going down in price because of remake statement (!) Lol...$20k doesn't touch this one)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks amazing and I still havent played one yet!!!!!

#28452 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Looks amazing and I still havent played one yet!!!!!

Thanks and hope you get to play one soon!! Got another 2 hours in on mine last night....the time dedicated to this machine pales in comparison to the fun I get from playing it....

#28453 3 years ago

If someone is interested in, here's a small guide how the ALIEN Tester works.
The availabilty is very restricted and it works very well.
In my case I figured out in seconds that I had two damaged RGB LEDs on the left side.
Also I could check the spare first, before I put them inside.
One of the best features at all is, that checks and tests can be made with the pinball machine switched off.

Operating Instructions_ALIEN Tester_Operating Instructions_ENG_Rev_1.0_2021-03-01_18-18-08.pdfOperating Instructions_ALIEN Tester_Operating Instructions_ENG_Rev_1.0_2021-03-01_18-18-08.pdf

#28454 3 years ago

This mod inspired by @Averells own creation.
Not all can drill stainless steel so I thought I would make a slide in version.
3D print in solid, no screws needed. Slide in.
Free model to print
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/various/various-models/mod-averells-mod

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
#28455 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

This mod inspired by @Averells own creation.
Not all can drill stainless steel so I thought I would make a slide in version.
3D print in solid, no screws needed. Slide in.
Free model to print
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/various/various-models/mod-averells-mod[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for this! I joined cgtrader, but can't figure out how to actually have it printed or add it to a cart to have done.

#28456 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Thanks for this! I joined cgtrader, but can't figure out how to actually have it printed or add it to a cart to have done.

Download the STL file and then browse online for a local 3d printer company or use Shapeways

If possible print in Nylon

#28457 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Download the STL file and then browse online for a local 3d printer company or use Shapeways
If possible print in Nylon

Printed at Shapeways.

Thanks

#28458 3 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

Me too, ordered and waiting for response with shipping cost. Still no answer.

The guy from Gameroom is back into business and I've just received the parts ordered last month.

New facehuggers are stonger than the ones i have in my game, leds and platics are ok. Only some rust on the metal plate of the Xeno front target.

#28459 3 years ago

Most of the stock metal parts are in bad condition.
They have no rust protection or haven't been galvanized - mostly crap!

#28460 3 years ago

Here's the small adapter board to be able to test the RGB LED boards with the ALIEN tester.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#28461 3 years ago

In version 1.4 there's an issue regarding Extra Ball Button after ending a game with the option to continue with adding an "Extra Ball" on.
Screen gives the advice to add a ball via "Extra Ball", but the Extra Ball Button doesn't flash?
Can someone confirm that?

#28462 3 years ago

Anyone know where i can get a new one?

20210318_225234 (resized).jpg20210318_225234 (resized).jpg
#28463 3 years ago

Wrong thread ?
New part ? I believe I do not have this is my Alien.

#28464 3 years ago

Can someone explain to me exactly how the "Ball Safe" works in the ALIEN?
Where can I make which settings and how do they affect?
And how is the ball trough involved in this, can the CPU detect this when balls bounce back and eject again.... .if so how often and where do you set that?
I sometimes notice that the ball trough is not triggered when searching for balls?

#28465 3 years ago

@dung,

What do you have is a prototype version of the small monitor bracket made of plastic.
You should write an e-mail to PB, GameRoom or any other dealer to get the metal bracket.
Another solution is to reproduce the bracket... should be easy because it's not complex at all.

#28466 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

dung,
what do you have is a prototype version of the small monitor bracket made of plastic.
You should write an e-mail to PB, GameRoom or any other dealer to get the metal bracket.
Another solution is to reproduce the bracket... should be easy because it's not complex at all.

Good to know because this thing sucks. I can fix it, but its awful. Reproducing would be difficult. Would have to machine/laser cut a new one, then put the bend in it. Not fun.

#28467 3 years ago

I have been away for a few months, did a replacement EL blade kit ever get made? Did the Timebandit LED replacements ever get restocked? Got some work to do and it’s going to look good when finished.

#28468 3 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I have been away for a few months, did a replacement EL blade kit ever get made? Did the Timebandit LED replacements ever get restocked? Got some work to do and it’s going to look good when finished.

EL blade kits never got made. I haven't seen anything about Timebandit's replacements lately. I think that is a no as well.

#28469 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Can someone explain to me exactly how the "Ball Safe" works in the ALIEN?
Where can I make which settings and how do they affect?
And how is the ball trough involved in this, can the CPU detect this when balls bounce back and eject again.... .if so how often and where do you set that?
I sometimes notice that the ball trough is not triggered when searching for balls?

I do know it's timed, but can't recall where/ if it's a setting in the menu somewhere.

Blamed the trough for many things (as it's certainly not a robust version), but back when I was sorting - magnetized balls drive this game crazy in regards to inconsistent loads in the lane, along w other weirdness. In fashion w my WOZ, I mistakenly put in silverjets and after about only a dozen games the machine was sort of playing itself. Don't know if this is consistent w your problem, but man, Alien just doesn't play right at all w even slightly magnetized balls.

Then believe it or not....(some time back) I'd be getting crazy, errant multiball action for no apparent reason. They would come out mid ball, not when they were supposed to, etc. Drove me crazy (no factory tech to reach to). Turns out one of the damn switches under the Xeno was stuck, causing the machine to just lose it's mind...can't explain why. Got it aligned properly and she settled back down nicely.

The little things seem to really impact bigger things I guess is my point. Happy hunting!!

#28470 3 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I was in contact with a firm making the ElBlades but he makes only tools for at least ordering 25 sets.
This was too much for me and I passed this to a friends shop: ministryofpinball.com in netherlands.

IF he gets enough pre-orders he will sell the ElFoils ! In the beginning were many people who wanted a set, but I guess they never ordered them therefor: No repro elBlades.

#28471 3 years ago

I contacted Ministry the end of January to see if they were going to make them. They said that it was in doubt as they were pretty expensive to make and they would decide within a week. I didn't follow up as it didn't seem like they were going to move forward.

#28472 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I do know it's timed, but can't recall where/ if it's a setting in the menu somewhere.
Blamed the trough for many things (as it's certainly not a robust version), but back when I was sorting - magnetized balls drive this game crazy in regards to inconsistent loads in the lane, along w other weirdness. In fashion w my WOZ, I mistakenly put in silverjets and after about only a dozen games the machine was sort of playing itself. Don't know if this is consistent w your problem, but man, Alien just doesn't play right at all w even slightly magnetized balls.
Then believe it or not....(some time back) I'd be getting crazy, errant multiball action for no apparent reason. They would come out mid ball, not when they were supposed to, etc. Drove me crazy (no factory tech to reach to). Turns out one of the damn switches under the Xeno was stuck, causing the machine to just lose it's mind...can't explain why. Got it aligned properly and she settled back down nicely.
The little things seem to really impact bigger things I guess is my point. Happy hunting!!

Just had the same issue as you with the mindless spitting out of balls and odd play.
Also found a rouge switch permanently on which was top left pop bumper switch.
Clearing this and alls playing OK.

So confirms your switch theory.

I dont think the firmware checks for switch issues as no error shown at boot.

#28473 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

I dont think the firmware checks for switch issues as no error shown at boot.

I've never seen an error message either...took me awhile to figure out what was going on. This game goes multi ball crazy when switches stick for some reason.

#28474 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Turns out one of the damn switches under the Xeno was stuck, causing the machine to just lose it's mind...can't explain why.

If either of the two xeno standup targets becomes "almost stuck on", it will rapidly toggle active/inactive and the game will think that you're making that shot over and over, which will take you into constant Ambush Multiball. This happened to my game a few times.

Most of the errors I've heard of over the years were due to bad trough optos though (not connected, mis-aligned, wired in the wrong order) or magnetized balls. There was one serious bug with the ball saver never ending, but that was fixed in version 1.1.

#28475 3 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

If either of the two xeno standup targets becomes "almost stuck on", it will rapidly toggle active/inactive and the game will think that you're making that shot over and over, which will take you into constant Ambush Multiball. This happened to my game a few times

Bingo...this was me....

#28476 3 years ago

Maybe I should write a section "Troubleshooting" in the manual?

#28477 3 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

If either of the two xeno standup targets becomes "almost stuck on", it will rapidly toggle active/inactive and the game will think that you're making that shot over and over, which will take you into constant Ambush Multiball. This happened to my game a few times.
Most of the errors I've heard of over the years were due to bad trough optos though (not connected, mis-aligned, wired in the wrong order) or magnetized balls. There was one serious bug with the ball saver never ending, but that was fixed in version 1.1.

Not me . I only had one pop bumper switch stuck on.
Only when going through the switch test in menu did I work out the reason.

#28478 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've never seen an error message either...took me awhile to figure out what was going on. This game goes multi ball crazy when switches stick for some reason.

First noticed where I would get two balls spat out in the the lane .
Then would get odd multiball sections of play.

Now all's cleared it plays ok.

#28479 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

I was in contact with a firm making the ElBlades but he makes only tools for at least ordering 25 sets.
This was too much for me and I passed this to a friends shop: ministryofpinball.com in netherlands.
IF he gets enough pre-orders he will sell the ElFoils ! In the beginning were many people who wanted a set, but I guess they never ordered them therefor: No repro elBlades.

If you can put me in touch with the el blade makers i will order 3 sets. I would possibly buy enough to fill out his order if the price was not to much. Maybe we can make this happen.

#28480 3 years ago

I know this is the Alien thread, but I recently bought a Full Throttle with issues and this seems to be the only active Heighway thread. Hoping someone here can help.

I had a group of lights that were out when the game arrived. I understand these are serial and one out impacts everything down the chain. So, I identified the first one out and swapped a bunch of the individual lights in the area. This got them to go back on, but now they are still quite intermittent during gameplay. The out lights always start with the same socket. I've swapped that first bulb with others, but the out lights always start from the same spot. So, does that mean the issue is with the socket? What am I supposed to do from here?

Also, even when the lights are working, there are more of them out further down the same chain. I noticed that one of the individual wires leading to a light socket connector was pulled from the molex connector. That bulb always stays one color and the bulbs past it are always out. I don't know how to reconnect the wire to the connector. Are these cables available anywhere? I'm talking about the black wrapped wire bundles that go to each of the individual lights.

Thanks for any help.

#28481 3 years ago
Quoted from dbarker:

If you can put me in touch with the el blade makers i will order 3 sets. I would possibly buy enough to fill out his order if the price was not to much. Maybe we can make this happen.

This is the communication I got from Ministry of Pinball a couple days ago -

Hi,

We asked the supplier to make us an offer for 30 pieces.

Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards, Sincères salutations, Herzliche Grüße,

Sales Team Ministry of Pinball

Ministry of Pinball Import B.V. / Ministry of Pinball Online Sales B.V.
Aalscholveroever 8
2492 TG Den Haag
The Netherlands

T: 0031 (0)70 7439554

You can contact them at - [email protected]

#28482 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Hi,
Aalscholveroever 8
2492 TG Den Haag
The Netherlands

Thank you.
I will see what i can do. I have a friend in the Netherlands with an Alien also and will see if he can help
Make this happen also. I will reach out. Our machines deserve these lighted blades.

#28483 3 years ago

Wondering if anyone can help. Was thinking of buying an alien that is for sale locally. The lights on the left side are not coming on. Could this be a board problem if so can it be replaced thanks.

20210328_142643 (resized).jpg20210328_142643 (resized).jpg
#28484 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Wondering if anyone can help. Was thinking of buying an alien that is for sale locally. The lights on the left side are not coming on. Could this be a board problem if so can it be replaced thanks.
[quoted image]

Do not buy that machine. I know which one you’re talking about. It is an early model and will have more issues than even normal. Just my two cents.

#28485 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Do not buy that machine. I know which one you’re talking about. It is an early model and will have more issues than even normal. Just my two cents.

I appreciate it thanks Delt

#28486 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

[quoted image]

I would Listen to delt, if you really want it then open it up and look at the underside of playfield, red or blue boards ? Io board # , does it say pinball brothers on pcb or heighway? Whats the cpu look like send a picture, also whats the sticker on back of machine say what # . This will tell you a good bit. The lights are in a chain so for that board the first one in the chain that goes all others will be out. Anyway good luck.

#28487 3 years ago
Quoted from dbarker:

I would Listen to delt, if you really want it then open it up and look at the underside of playfield, red or blue boards ? Io board # , does it say pinball brothers on pcb or heighway? Whats the cpu look like send a picture, also whats the sticker on back of machine say what # . This will tell you a good bit. The lights are in a chain so for that board the first one in the chain that goes all others will be out. Anyway good luck.

I didn't take pics, but I looked underneath and the boards were blue. On the bottom of the cab it has some other boards one of them was red.

#28488 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Hi,
Aalscholveroever 8
2492 TG Den Haag
The Netherlands

Turns out my friend in the Netherlands lives a 5 minute walk from these guys and will see what he can do for me. I will be in touch shortly and i really hope this works out.

#28489 3 years ago

Sold my friends Alien the other day... he’s a hoarder so now he wants to sell the parts. Lots of unobtainable parts....probably list everything as one lot under my eBay account. Arcadesully is my account for those interested.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#28490 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Sold my friends Alien the other day... he’s a hoarder so now he wants to sell the parts. Lots of unobtainable parts....probably list everything as one lot under my eBay account. Arcadesully is my account for those interested.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Contact me at 3303960466. Text is easier for me. Id be interested.

#28491 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Hi,

THAT is the way to go and get the minimum orders required !

FYI I send the manufacturer of the foil already month ago in consultation with mop the measurements of my elfoils.
So it just needs enough orders to make them. I was out due it was too much money for a hobby project and I have only good experiences with Bertjan from MOP.

#28492 3 years ago

Alien - Complete Xenomorph Head Assembly (2 of them)

Alien - Game Computer (2 of them)

Alien - 5" Backbox Screen

Alien - Complete Drop Target Assy

Alien - Plastic Set (PETG)

Alien - Complete Flipper Mech

Alien (Full Throttle) - Power Supply Board

Alien / Full Throttle - I/O Board v1.4B (5 of them)

Alien - Facehugger (8 of them)

Alien / Full Throttle - Complete Pop Bumper Asst

Alien - Complete Stand Up Target (in front of Xenomorph)

Aliens pcb - top, middle, bottom one

Not separating just did a quick run down of what I see. Have to look if I missed anything

#28493 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting comment...you've been through about 4 already, but they all had no problems, correct (?)

I like dbarker advice....you'll be hard pressed to find a late build here in the states. Get some pics, hookup w someone who has a nice example and sort the differences.

#28494 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Interesting comment...you've been through about 4 already, but they all had no problems, correct (?)
I like dbarker advice....you'll be hard pressed to find a late build here in the states. Get some pics, hookup w someone who has a nice example and sort the differences.

After sorting mine out I haven't experienced anymore issues than what I experience on full throttle. Mine is supposedly the first production game.

Induction switches settle into their sockets and stop detecting. LEDs fail or work their way up in their sockets and fail to make contact.

The weird one is that mine still has a transformer. I have heard that the transformer was gotten rid of as it would blow a fuse. It has not been an issue on mine. I also get he added benefit of my flippers being strong.

Delt loves to post about how the later build games are superior like it is some mystical badge of honor. It isn't. A well sorted game will work as well as a late build. They still won't be as reliable as a new stern due to various design flaws.

#28495 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

After sorting mine out I haven't experienced anymore issues than what I experience on full throttle. Mine is supposedly the first production game.
Induction switches settle into their sockets and stop detecting. LEDs fail or work their way up in their sockets and fail to make contact.
The weird one is that mine still has a transformer. I have heard that the transformer was gotten rid of as it would blow a fuse. It has not been an issue on mine. I also get he added benefit of my flippers being strong.
Delt loves to post about how the later build games are superior like it is some mystical badge of honor. It isn't. A well sorted game will work as well as a late build. They still won't be as reliable as a new stern due to various design flaws.

I wish you'd sort that transformer thing and clue me in... ....I've wanted to go for it on several occasions, but always backed down.

You are spot on about having to spend time with the game to get everything as it needs to be in order to be reliable.

Mine ( and yours I suspect) play quite well..have admired your love/ hate of the game...spending the time to sort the issues.....it's lonely in space, lol

Alien ( including whatever this remake is supposed to turn out as) is always going to be for those that aren't afraid to get dirty, but a highly sought after title, as the few will become fewer as time passes. Just my .02 cents..

#28496 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I wish you'd sort that transformer thing and clue me in... ....I've wanted to go for it on several occasions, but always backed down.
You are spot on about having to spend time with the game to get everything as it needs to be in order to be reliable.
Mine ( and yours I suspect) play quite well..have admired your love/ hate of the game...spending the time to sort the issues.....it's lonely in space, lol
Alien ( including whatever this remake is supposed to turn out as) is always going to be for those that aren't afraid to get dirty, but a highly sought after title, as the few will become fewer as time passes. Just my .02 cents..

Hold the opposite opinion. Due to its desirability more of the early ones have been converted over time. Full throttle strikes me as a title that over time there won't be the parts to keep them running and they will die out. With this there is enough interest to get parts made.

Nothing to sort on the transformer for me. My game has a full throttle cabinet. I do wonder if the transformer wasn't replaced with a switching power supply due to cost savings.

#28497 3 years ago

Hi all, a new proud owner here! Game is amazing, so glad I took the gamble. Game came with loads of spares so I'm good but one little question, when turned on there's a loud hum from speakers that reduces as the game starts up but doesn't fully die down. This hum is not present at all if the coin door is open so is obvs caused by the high voltage. Any ideas how to sort this?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

#28498 3 years ago

Check the adjustment of the amplifier first.
Then check all the wiring in the cabinet while the machine is switched off!
The only "noise" you should hear is the beep of the mainboard while booting and a "buzzzzzzzz" pressing the flipper buttons during gameplay.
Read the manual and improve the settings as recommended.

#28499 3 years ago

Make sure the speaker wire to the head isnt run in the main wiring bundle. There was a tsb for full throttles and my alien was run the same way. Just disconnect the wires and run them seperately. Try and keep them away from that bundle of wires to the head as much as possible.

#28500 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Hold the opposite opinion. Due to its desirability more of the early ones have been converted over time. Full throttle strikes me as a title that over time there won't be the parts to keep them running and they will die out. With this there is enough interest to get parts made.
Nothing to sort on the transformer for me. My game has a full throttle cabinet. I do wonder if the transformer wasn't replaced with a switching power supply due to cost savings.

I like your take, but the very early ones took alot of work. Didn't mean it couldn't be done, but expensive and time consuming. Hoping parts do get made at a reasonable cost is my biggest concern.....just can't see many willing to put the work in some of those...could be wrong.

So you have a transformer in your Alien w current I/O boards and CPU config? If so, please share info, as I'd really like to go that route (less heat, no need for caps, etc.)....thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 570 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/570?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.