pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 568 of 601.
#28351 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

As I remember there's a note somewhere regarding the modification of new power supply boards before switching the machine on.
New boards don't have these soldered areas, but the built in versions do.
So the new boards have to be modified first?
And there's a note on the cover that F1 and F2 no more used as descriped in earlier machines?

The mods were for routing 12v for switching the new external mains relay to switch the 70VDC PSU on/off.
The fuses were for the AC input to the now redundant Bridge recitfier.
Mine no longer has the bridge etc. Ive just used a stock photo.

The shorting of the relay does not make sense as all its doing is connecting the discharge resistors all the time.

#28352 3 years ago

Maybe this was a solution with the often fried IO-Boards, they also been bridged?

By the way, your Motion Tracker... mmmhh, in combination with Marks' Apron... excellent work!

#28353 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Maybe this was a solution with the often fried IO-Boards, they also been bridged?
By the way, your Motion Tracker... mmmhh, in combination with Marks' Apron... excellent work!

Both the aprons are looking good. Nice to see it on both.

Theres always going to be changes on circuits as complex as these.
The relay one is an odd one.

#28354 3 years ago

I've noticed that my right ramp wireform carries a little charge to touch, but haven't dived in to see where this is coming from. Any ideas on that here before I go further? Everything has worked normally.

#28355 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

The mods were for routing 12v for switching the new external mains relay to switch the 70VDC PSU on/off.
The fuses were for the AC input to the now redundant Bridge recitfier.
Mine no longer has the bridge etc. Ive just used a stock photo.
The shorting of the relay does not make sense as all its doing is connecting the discharge resistors all the time.

Perhaps their idea was to provide some load stability for the PSU?

It shouldn't need it though...

#28356 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I've noticed that my right ramp wireform carries a little charge to touch, but haven't dived in to see where this is coming from. Any ideas on that here before I go further? Everything has worked normally.

"Charge" as in voltage? If you have the lit side blades, could be EL voltage that has made its way to the wire form ( scratch in the paper touching a screw possibly).100v AC definitely tingles...doubt you'd feel 12v, and unlikely 70v living around there...just a thought

#28357 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

"Charge" as in voltage? If you have the lit side blades, could be EL voltage that has made its way to the wire form ( scratch in the paper touching a screw possibly).100v AC definitely tingles...doubt you'd feel 12v, and unlikely 70v living around there...just a thought

Interesting, I'll do some exploring on this, thanks!

#28358 3 years ago

Very interesting and that's exactly why I completely changed the grounding and wiring in the cabinet.

#28359 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Two types of effects.

Buzzing tinge on the skin.
Check your mains earthing.
Switchmode PSU's will float +100vAC with regards to earth if not earthed correctly.
This gives a uncomfortable feeling when touched.

Sharp zap
Your charged up and discharging onto an earthed item

#28360 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Two types of effects.
Switchmode PSU's will float +100vAC with regards to earth if not earthed correctly.
Sharp zap

#28361 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Two types of effects.
Sharp zap

Buzzing tinge that is continuous to the touch. I’ll look at earthing today, thanks!

#28362 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Buzzing tinge that is continuous to the touch. I’ll look at earthing today, thanks!

Yep espescially if you have moist hands.
It will feel like a stinging sensation moving in the area touching the metal.

#28363 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Yep espescially if you have moist hands.
It will feel like a stinging sensation moving in the area touching the metal.

Hands are dry but it is definitely conducting current. I’ll see what’s up and report back.

#28364 3 years ago

Can it be wandering currents?
It can also be called stray currents.

#28365 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Hands are dry but it is definitely conducting current. I’ll see what’s up and report back.

Make sure the earth is good and all PSU's have good earth connection

#28366 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sure enough, Mark was right, yet again! The electricity was 100V through the left screw piercing the EL on the back. I’ve removed both for good measure and no more leakage.

DA71C4F1-6B3F-4461-8E74-701888E34259 (resized).jpegDA71C4F1-6B3F-4461-8E74-701888E34259 (resized).jpeg
#28367 3 years ago

Yes, and again that was one of my first improvements, but nobody wanted to know it.
Absolutely nonsens how Heighway was acting with different current voltages and their craftmanship.
A new designed backpanel with quick swap frame reasonable screwed to the playfield.
This for instance and the entire wiring and grounding is a mess in all the machines delivered from Wales.
Never improved these issues you will ever have problems, sooner or later.

DSCN7189 (resized).JPGDSCN7189 (resized).JPG

DSCN7237 (resized).JPGDSCN7237 (resized).JPG

DSCN7350 (resized).JPGDSCN7350 (resized).JPG

DSCN7355 (resized).JPGDSCN7355 (resized).JPG

DSCN7352 (resized).JPGDSCN7352 (resized).JPG

DSCN7353 (resized).JPGDSCN7353 (resized).JPG

DSCN7354 (resized).JPGDSCN7354 (resized).JPG

#28368 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Yes, and again that was one of my first improvement, but nobody wanted to know it.
Absolutely nonsens how Heighway was acting with different current voltages and their craftmanship.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice work, as usual! Must have missed that earlier in the forum. It seems obvious now but I started with the right EL side art and then localized it to the back. Beautiful fix! I don’t see a need for the screws there but may follow your example.

#28369 3 years ago

The screws are needed to fix the panel exactly to the edge of the playfield and keep the ball lane guide in place.
There's no other chance to have a solid connection, consider that the playfield is very heavy and you don't want to have damages caused by torsion if you need to remove the playfield.
Remember, most of the acrylic glass panels broke... you now understand why?

#28370 3 years ago

I played around with the File System over the weekend and figured out how to swap or delete the files.
For this I wrote a little tutorial, please find attached.
You need practically the same Ubuntu environment as for the installation of the rescue image.
Once you understand that, you can change, mix, swap or delete pictures, sounds and videos to your own taste.
Why did I do this... it always bothered me that Ash and Ripley got so little or no attention.
Now you can customize all that.

ALIEN Pinball_Files in file directory_Replacing, Modifying, Deleting_ENG_Rev_1.0_2021-01-25_08-25-15.pdfALIEN Pinball_Files in file directory_Replacing, Modifying, Deleting_ENG_Rev_1.0_2021-01-25_08-25-15.pdf
#28371 3 years ago

All the Elfoils are mounted on a very bad way. Screws through the electified foils.

On request of the forums I took out my elfoils, measured them and passed the measuring through a firm making ElFoil. There was a high request from pinsiders. Due that high request I passed the whole think to https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/ .
So far I think was not enough request for a production.
Maybe this will change when the ReMake shows up and the new owners want ElFoil like we have .... so if someone wants ElFoil, contact ministryofpinball. It will be one call from him to start production but I understand that it only make sense with many pre-orders. The tooling is most expensive part.

#28372 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I played around with the File System over the weekend and figured out how to swap or delete the files.
You need practically the same Ubuntu environment as for the installation of the rescue image.
Once you understand that, you can change, mix, swap or delete pictures, sounds and videos to your own taste.
Why did I do this... it always bothered me that Ash and Ripley got so little or no attention.
[quoted image]

Yes, it's great that you can change up the assets in Alien... As a starter I swapped out the green intro theme for the original movie opening music (suitable edited, compressed slightly and normalised) and I also plan to put some Ripley quotes in when I get round to it.

#28373 3 years ago

Yes, that's exactly what I did, enhanced some callouts and changed the intro video sequence.

#28374 3 years ago

Averell & Mik-ReadingUK this is really great stuff guys.

Could you post a video of the changes you have made.

Really interesting.

Long shot try a symlink to a usb for the relavent folders

#28375 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

All the Elfoils are mounted on a very bad way. Screws through the electified foils.
On request of the forums I took out my elfoils, measured them and passed the measuring through a firm making ElFoil. There was a high request from pinsiders. Due that high request I passed the whole think to https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/ .
So far I think was not enough request for a production.
Maybe this will change when the ReMake shows up and the new owners want ElFoil like we have .... so if someone wants ElFoil, contact ministryofpinball. It will be one call from him to start production but I understand that it only make sense with many pre-orders. The tooling is most expensive part.

I want EL foils. I will contact them.

#28376 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I want EL foils. I will contact them.

Do you have their contact info? I want to see what they can do about the power supply fan noise

#28377 3 years ago

That is amazing thank you!

Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]

#28378 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

averell & mik-readinguk this is really great stuff guys.
Could you post a video of the changes you have made.
Really interesting.
Long shot try a symlink to a usb for the relavent folders

So far all I've done is to replace BG_Alien_shooting.ogg in the /game/music directory (see Averell's post for how to access it with a Linux boot drive) - I made a silly little video of the effect...

mike.

#28379 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]

Now THAT is awesome! As someone who loves customizing stern code (JP, TMNT), this would be great to add in Ripley voice and video. I would assume this will work on remake as well as the code seems to be the same foundation. Great job!

#28380 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Now THAT is awesome! As someone who loves customizing stern code (JP, TMNT), this would be great to add in Ripley voice and video. I would assume this will work on remake as well as the code seems to be the same foundation. Great job!

arent you the one who did that JP video code? Man get to it ! We need your Alien work.

#28381 3 years ago

Averell & Mik-ReadingUK this is bloody genius guys!!!! Incredible stuff.

#28382 3 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

So far all I've done is to replace BG_Alien_shooting.ogg in the /game/music directory (see Averell's post for how to access it with a Linux boot drive) - I made a silly little video of the effect...
mike.

Oh that is just great! Love it.

#28383 3 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

mike.

WOW!! Thats awesome. This pin is so immersive, especially with that sound clip and in that dark room. Scary!

#28384 3 years ago

Does the company that’s doing the new Aliens have a manufacturing plant?

#28385 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

arent you the one who did that JP video code? Man get to it ! We need your Alien work.

yep! Don't have original alien though otherwise I would. Will have remake and if it's the same (assuming it will be - code base), I most definitely will share.

#28386 3 years ago

This is a first test with modified sound files.
Take a closer look at the intro.

This is a mix for the end game sequence.

This is my favourite

#28387 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

This is my favourite

Man, just great stuff!!!! Envy as my game is now in powder. Intro screen is how it should be. Great job!!

#28388 3 years ago

Still working on the intro and interaction screens, every one should have it's own background music, so ALIEN always entertaine the spectators.

#28389 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

This is my favourite

Amazing, just amazing. I couln’t dreamt for a better mod

#28390 3 years ago

We need Ripley. I ordered an LV, but will be modding to add Ripley. Reading is fairly close to me too, Mike

#28391 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]

Quick question re replacing images video and sounds-
Does the switched file have to sit within the same footprint / byte size of the original file

For example, can 'get back on the horse' be extended to add ripleys response 'spare me Burke, ive had my psych evaluation this month!'

Also how about videos?

Sorry if this is obvious.
Amazing to be able to customise this.

#28392 3 years ago

“Look man, I only want to know one thing: where they are...”
Replace they by (these incredibile software updates!!!!!)

#28393 3 years ago

Maybe a better scream again sound effect and clip ? The current one sounds weird I don’t recall it from the movies at all .. sounds like King Kong

#28394 3 years ago

Important is the correct type writing of the file.
And of course used formats like ogg and mp4 with valid resolution.
Filesize is a matter in video sequences... I'm still customzing to check this.
Sound and pictures are very easy to swap.
Soundfiles can be enhanced or changed using the same filename, but you have to check, that a longer playing sound may not interfere to other sound effects.

#28395 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Important is the correct type writing of the file.
And of course used formats like ogg and mp4.
Filesize is a matter in video sequences... I'm still customzing to check this.
Sound and pictures are very easy to swap.
Soundfiles can be enhanced or changed using the same filename, but you have to check, that a longer playing sound may not interfere to other sound effects.

Great so need to be careful of synchronisation with other sounds which are triggered but it sounds like larger files can be accomodated - fantastic.

What is a good product to use for.editing this stuff?

#28396 3 years ago

Request: please remove the “ball save” music loop. This annoying and useless sound drives me crazy as long as the ball save timer is active.
The “scream again” audio and visuals are too long and dominant. Something short and simple I would suggest.
Add many Ripley quotes during Self Destruct and Loader Battle if possible.
Add Ripley in Derelict Ship.

#28397 3 years ago

For sound editting I use Audacity or SoundForge.
Video is different and not that easy, often some more tools need to be used.
There're loads of freeware tools outside, but I use OpenShot Video.

#28398 3 years ago

There's another interesting fact on the soundfiles.
Some of them are declared with "beeping" and I consider this is a "switch" for the violent level.
In the service menu you can can switch to a family childfriendly version, so explicit lyrics will be overlayed with a beep.
Disturbing video will be switched off either.

#28399 3 years ago

First video sequence is done, I can say that the filesize is nearly doubled by same resolution and CD sound quality.
Now I must check how it works in the Pinball.

#28400 3 years ago

Is this still done with Pinball Browser?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 568 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/568 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.