• 28,409 posts
  • 1,051 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Averell
  • Topic is favorited by 288 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,775 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ALIEN Pinball_Files in file directory_Replacing, Modifying, Deleting_ENG_Rev_1.0_2021-01-25_08-25-15.pdf (PDF preview)
DSCN7189 (resized).JPG
DSCN7237 (resized).JPG
DSCN7355 (resized).JPG
DSCN7354 (resized).JPG
DSCN7352 (resized).JPG
DSCN7350 (resized).JPG
DSCN7353 (resized).JPG
DA71C4F1-6B3F-4461-8E74-701888E34259 (resized).jpeg
relay (resized).JPG
917713d5112d1dd41ed76821dbc7cfb06d943472 (resized).jpg
IMG_0217 (resized).JPG
60B49B05-1523-4F62-BD58-DC5B033D2A9A (resized).jpeg
A9885B1D-C4A5-4C78-9786-F2B6FD10E0A0 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8444 (resized).JPG
16101591104387449990179435956373 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28409 posts in this topic. You are on page 567 of 569.
#28301 18 days ago

Sounds like things are coming together nicely in Italy. If anyone is interested in my original Alien SE by heighway let me know as I will be looking to move it out once my remake arrives. I would prefer trades but sale is a possibility also. Absolutely no shipping of any kind, but I can travel between Portland and LA. If you want to see the machine you can view the archived ad here on pinside from when I purchased it in September of last year

#28302 18 days ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Sounds like things are coming together nicely in Italy. If anyone is interested in my original Alien SE by heighway let me know as I will be looking to move it out once my remake arrives. I would prefer trades but sale is a possibility also. Absolutely no shipping of any kind, but I can travel between Portland and LA. If you want to see the machine you can view the archived ad here on pinside from when I purchased it in September of last year

Good luck but think lots of potential buyers are going to pass. Values will tank until people figure out if the oeiginal is better which will be awhile.

#28303 18 days ago
Quoted from dung:Good luck but think lots of potential buyers are going to pass. Values will tank until people figure out if the oeiginal is better which will be awhile.

Maybe. No hurry. Wishlist evhoh, tbl, wonka le or ce, afm remake, or mm remake, stern le models. Open to hearing about anything else. I like nice pins.

#28304 18 days ago
Quoted from dung:

Good luck but think lots of potential buyers are going to pass. Values will tank until people figure out if the oeiginal is better which will be awhile.

The two aliens will look great together until one moves out!

#28305 18 days ago
16101591104387449990179435956373 (resized).jpg
#28306 18 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I just watched Aliens (watched Alien last week). Had not seen in decades was very good and I liked Aliens better as the action was better and still had moments of horror and the creatures in Aliens were more vicious and didn’t look so much like a man in a suit.
I now get the sentry guns and their prominent position on the game.
I really like the tracking device not sure how badly it’ll be missed from the central PF display.
I think the movie scenes as modes are very unique although to be honest the first movie scenes are more sedate, less action compared to the second movie which is wall to wall action.
PS the two movies are so great directors with Scott and Cameron two of the greatest Sci-fi directors and how I saw connections to Avatar with the mech suit in Aliens.

It's interesting how quick things changed or were perceived from the late 70's to early 80's - in Alien how long it takes them in the landing sequence (comparable to the real moon landings in the late 60's and 70's) and then in Aliens where they swoop in drop the team and dust off. I find this sort of thing interesting, as back when I first saw Alien that landing was edge of the seat stuff, where as now it's not such a big deal. Love both these movies they are so different but great in the own right!

#28307 18 days ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

I’m in the other boat. I planned to get a remake for a long time but now after owning an original for a couple of months, I’m not seeing why I’d want a remake. The cabinet is ridiculously cool, playfield LCD screen fantastic, illuminated side and back art stunning, huge backglass LCD, excellent apron mods and other upgrades. I think I’m good, unless the LV does something truly spectacular, but I’m not sure what that would be over the above features... I’m still in line for now, but am probably sending that money to GnR LE instead at this point.

#28308 18 days ago
Quoted from dts:

I’m in the other boat. I planned to get a remake for a long time but now after owning an original for a couple of months, I’m not seeing why I’d want a remake. The cabinet is ridiculously cool, playfield LCD screen fantastic, illuminated side and back art stunning, huge backglass LCD, excellent apron mods and other upgrades. I think I’m good, unless the LV does something truly spectacular, but I’m not sure what that would be over the above features... I’m still in line for now, but am probably sending that money to GnR LE instead at this point.

I hear you. I'm super psyched for the magnet to set up the upper right flipper shot and I really like physical ball locks so I'm leaning towards the remake but maybe I will keep the original or maybe both. Such a great game, I'm really glad that more people will soon be getting the chance to experience it. It's hard for me to imagine the value dropping off too much on the originals because the remake being available for people to play should drive interest in all models. High tide and all ships raising or some shit.

#28309 18 days ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

I hear you. I'm super psyched for the magnet to set up the upper right flipper shot and I really like physical ball locks so I'm leaning towards the remake but maybe I will keep the original or maybe both. Such a great game, I'm really glad that more people will soon be getting the chance to experience it. It's hard for me to imagine the value dropping off too much on the originals because the remake being available for people to play should drive interest in all models. High tide and all ships raising or some shit.

Sooo, you love the game, purchased 3 months ago, but tried to sell once, archived, and now trying again as the unseen/ unplayed new one is your preference? I'm missing something here. Dont really care, just odd. My guess is it's a late build and plays perfectly, correct?

#28310 18 days ago

I've got to stay out of these Alien threads for awhile....it's like I'm addicted to insanity or something dammit......

#28311 18 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sooo, you love the game, purchased 3 months ago, but tried to sell once, archived, and now trying again as the unseen/ unplayed new one is your preference? I'm missing something here. Dont really care, just odd. My guess is it's a late build and plays perfectly, correct?

Sorry Mark. I dont think I was clear about my history. I have never tried to sell it, I am referring to the archived SOLD ad from when I bought it from a fellow pinsider in September of last year. If my remake doesnt ever materialize or if I like the original more I will keep the original. I REALLY LOVE THIS GAME! I appreciate your opinion and I'm very thankful for all the help you have given me and everyone else with our machines, but no funny stuff, I promise

#28312 18 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys for many months my machine was just fine launching balls, now it once again hits the right wall and bounces back into the trough, then gets all messed up and then spits out two balls. I thought I had it figured out because it was simple leveling issue, and that fixed it right away again for many months. I just measured my pitch its about 6.3 in between flippers.. what number are u guys using as the pitch?
Thanks

Ok after reading everyones posts and reviewing this thread, I think I have corrected my issues by bending the kicker plate of the trough 90 degrees like Averell recommended, and my shooter coil was too low I think, so I put a washer in between one of the bolts and the bracket which made it a little higher. I believe so far so good. Anytime something goes wrong I just feel like selling the machine! Glad I didnt with these simple fixes.. crossing my fingers to give me another 6 months of smoothness!

#28313 18 days ago

Even Xeno has to go to the dentist...

DSCN8444 (resized).JPG

#28314 17 days ago

After I adjusted the kicker plate I am now getting random shooter lane triggers, random multiball and when the ball drains it doesnt show that scream cut scene anymore and just keeps launching a ball. Any ideas what I did wrong?

I cant tell if its a hardware issue or a software one

#28315 16 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

After I adjusted the kicker plate I am now getting random shooter lane triggers, random multiball and when the ball drains it doesnt show that scream cut scene anymore and just keeps launching a ball. Any ideas what I did wrong?
I cant tell if its a hardware issue or a software one

Check and reseat all connectors on the trough IR boards and IO boards.

#28316 16 days ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Check and reseat all connectors on the trough IR boards and IO boards.

Thanks man, hopefully its something simple! I fix one thing, then boom another problem haha.

Update checked alll wires and connectors nothing wrong changed balls, back to normal , must be magnetized stupid balls

#28317 15 days ago

Hi Alien fans,

Can anyone help me wit a working link to the 1.3 and 1.4 code for Alien?

I just unboxed my Alien LE and would like to get the newest code/codes installed but the link here in the tread seems to be broken.

Thank you for your help

Added 14 days ago:

I received the code from a very nice member of the community. Thank you so much for that. You guys are so awesome

#28318 14 days ago
Quoted from Manny65:

It's interesting how quick things changed or were perceived from the late 70's to early 80's - in Alien how long it takes them in the landing sequence (comparable to the real moon landings in the late 60's and 70's) and then in Aliens where they swoop in drop the team and dust off. I find this sort of thing interesting, as back when I first saw Alien that landing was edge of the seat stuff, where as now it's not such a big deal. Love both these movies they are so different but great in the own right!

In Aliens that planet had atmosphere...

#28319 14 days ago
Quoted from Cigaretteman:

Hi Alien fans,
Can anyone help me wit a working link to the 1.3 and 1.4 code for Alien?
I just unboxed my Alien LE and would like to get the newest code/codes installed but the link here in the tread seems to be broken.
Thank you for your help

It used to be at http://oddchange.com/alien but the website seems to be down at the moment. I think you can still get the 1.3 code if you use the Wayback Machine. I have the code on a USB drive somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.

#28320 14 days ago

Well so far so good! My new Apron looks great, the flashers are working as they are supposed to. Ball launches are 100% perfect, no more bouncing back into trough.. I think Im back to bullet proof. Will keep playing and see!

#28321 14 days ago

How can I prevent the playfield LCD to look like this? On startup it’s always ok, but unfortunately it regularly shows red or green lines. Sometimes during gameplay the screen goes back to normal. I took out the entire screen and reseated all connectors EXCEPT the flat brittle and fragile looking connector. No difference.

A9885B1D-C4A5-4C78-9786-F2B6FD10E0A0 (resized).jpeg
#28322 13 days ago

You must disassemlbe the LCD and fix the connector!

#28323 13 days ago

Can’t tell me it’s not a nice looking machine

60B49B05-1523-4F62-BD58-DC5B033D2A9A (resized).jpeg
#28324 13 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

How can I prevent the playfield LCD to look like this? On startup it’s always ok, but unfortunately it regularly shows red or green lines. Sometimes during gameplay the screen goes back to normal. I took out the entire screen and reseated all connectors EXCEPT the flat brittle and fragile looking connector. No difference.
[quoted image]

Try another DVI cable first.

#28325 13 days ago

Thanks to Andrew for getting me 1.4

#28326 13 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

[quoted image]

Sadly mine did that every other game. Soon the primary screen did the same. Gave up trying to fix it.

#28327 13 days ago

Getting my 2nd alien game back up to speed ( 2nd time owning this game). New Xeno gears , power supply , USB , etc.

Occasionally the right flipper seizes up on multiball.

Any tips , thoughts , suggestions ? So excited to get this working 100 percent.

Thank you

#28328 13 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Can’t tell me it’s not a nice looking machine
[quoted image]

Sure does. Your games room looks good too !

#28329 13 days ago
Quoted from Freedom:

Getting my 2nd alien game back up to speed ( 2nd time owning this game). New Xeno gears , power supply , USB , etc.
Occasionally the right flipper seizes up on multiball.
Any tips , thoughts , suggestions ? So excited to get this working 100 percent.
Thank you

If you mean upper right, replace the 5v power supply with something bigger.

#28330 13 days ago

For the monitor issues.
The monitor in the playfield is framed in a metalbox.
Heighway brought out a very flat cable of the box with no protection. It was squeezed in my Alien.
Just build it out, some tape around the cable and it works for years now. This is a very common issue.

So you see the sharp edges on the pictures. They cutted in my cables.

917713d5112d1dd41ed76821dbc7cfb06d943472 (resized).jpgIMG_0217 (resized).JPG
#28331 13 days ago

I dismounted the playfield display also but did not notice any damage. Will look again for any damaged or cut cables.
If I replace the monitor DVI-cable from the playfield monitor: a link to a good quality cable is highly appreciated.

#28332 7 days ago

I'm not sure, but maybe there's a software issue with the Amode of the Beacons.
Can someone check and switch on the Amode (factory setting) and watch if the beacons will rotate after the boot sequence?
Mine doesn't work with latest software revision 1.4.

#28333 7 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

I'm not sure, but maybe there's a software issue with the Amode of the Beacons.
Can someone check and switch on the Amode (factory setting) and watch if the beacons will rotate after the boot sequence?
Mine doesn't work with latest software revision 1.4.

Beacons no longer turn on after boot sequence. They can be activated in "coil" test.

#28334 7 days ago

Yes, I know and Brian told me this, but he also said that the menu "Amode Beacons" will switch on or off the Attract mode for the beacons... so what's right or wrong?

#28335 7 days ago

Everything has been going great with my Alien but occasionally , rarely the Alien mouth just keeps opening and closing until I turn off and on the machine again. Just a software bug?

Just making sure again if anyone came up with a solution to the EL blade power source fan noise. Its too loud.

#28336 7 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Yes, I know and Brian told me this, but he also said that the menu "Amode Beacons" will switch on or off the Attract mode for the beacons... so what's right or wrong?

I don't see the beacons turning on in attract mode with AMODE set to "yes".

#28337 7 days ago

Ah damned, I realize we forgot to check this before the latest release... that sucks.

#28338 6 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Ah damned, I realize we forgot to check this before the latest release... that sucks.

I'm on 1.4 code and my beacons go regularly and periodically during attract mode, and also at the end of each game. No problems at all here. I love them they look fantastic!

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Everything has been going great with my Alien but occasionally , rarely the Alien mouth just keeps opening and closing until I turn off and on the machine again. Just a software bug?

Issues I have with 1.4:

-The Xeno jaw "scream" cycling bug mentioned above (which can be corrected in the test menu, alternatively to power cycle, even mid game without interruption to the game) . Seemed to happen when insta draining off third to last xeno hits, when the callout "2 xenos remaining" and the jaw is instructed to scream. I posted a video of it a couple of months ago. BCD even asked about it.

-Player number video clip usually the wrong player number for the player that is actually up. For multiplayer games with 3 or more players.

-Launch button does not flash to indicate "Weapon Ready". Works fine in lamp tests, but not for weapons. During the game. Only the "extra ball" flashes once I have multiple weapons, but the Launch Button is Never flashing to indicate how to USE weapons. The flashing Lanch button Really needs to work, as a cue to newer players!

We're in dire need of some well indexed key posts in this thread. It's almost pointless when some lazy folk mark a key post but put no description so we have to go through Each and Every one, just to work out what they're for. ...

#28339 6 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

I can check tomorrow, as my beacons fire at normal intervals in attract mode and end of game - 1.4 code

Quoted from razorsedge:

Issues I have with 1.4:
-The Xeno jaw "scream" cycling bug mentioned above (which can be corrected in the test menu, alternatively to power cycle, even mid game without interruption to the game) . Seemed to happen when insta draining off third to last xeno hits, when the callout "2 xenos remaining" and the jaw is instructed to scream. I posted a video of it a couple of months ago. BCD even asked about it.
-Player number video clip usually the wrong player number for the player that is actually up. For multiplayer games with 3 or more players.
-Launch button does not flash to indicate "Weapon Ready". Works fine in lamp tests, but not for weapons. During the game. Only the "extra ball" flashes once I have multiple weapons, but the Launch Button is Never flashing to indicate how to USE weapons. The flashing Lanch button Really needs to work, as a cue to newer players!

Not seeing issues above except player # video clip...haven't verified this as I'm always doing single player. I'll check mine

Xeno has retained functionality in all 3 modes, launch button flashes along w weapon light when I collect them.

No clue as to why mine is behaving and others not.

Won't bookmark this as it's sort of uselesss info. Will try to remember moving forward, but man this thread is long.....

#28340 6 days ago

I can confirm there is a bug with the amode beacon adjustment, when the game is first powered up or after exiting test mode. It works correctly after playing a game. This seems to be caused by some variation in the timing of the IO boards coming online. I've made a note of that.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not seeing issues above except player # video clip...haven't verified this as I'm always doing single player. I'll check mine
Xeno has retained functionality in all 3 modes, launch button flashes along w weapon light when I collect them.
No clue as to why mine is behaving and others not.
Won't bookmark this as it's sort of uselesss info. Will try to remember moving forward, but man this thread is long.....

I'll look into the player number issue everyone is reporting. I've never noticed this before and played a lot of multi-player games.

I don't see a problem with the launch button lamp either.

#28341 6 days ago
Quoted from bcd:

I can confirm there is a bug with the amode beacon adjustment, when the game is first powered up or after exiting test mode. It works correctly after playing a game. This seems to be caused by some variation in the timing of the IO boards coming online. I've made a note of that.

I'll look into the player number issue everyone is reporting. I've never noticed this before and played a lot of multi-player games.
I don't see a problem with the launch button lamp either.

Makes sense...I only turn the machine on to play it, so wouldn't have caught that. I live for loader battle, lol...can't imagine the need to ever add mini strobes after experiencing that lighting effect.

Flashing launch button definitely works once weapons are collected..of that I'm certain.

Is there truly an issue w the Xeno jaw in this code(?) It's been ridiculously stable for quite some time and the game is played alot. Truly haven't given that thing much thought as it has the keyed, metal servo gear, and I swapped out the plastic stepper motor to the cool, all metal one during preventative maintenance a long time ago. The thing just eats, breathes and taunts fine.

My only wish/ hope up there had always been some sort of Hall effect sensor to detect the ball, keeping the tongue safe from errant multiball strikes if it came out during that period.

As always, appreciate your efforts/ insight (along w Joe's).....mark

#28342 6 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Makes sense...I only turn the machine on to play it, so wouldn't have caught that. I live for loader battle, lol...can't imagine the need to ever add mini strobes after experiencing that lighting effect.
Flashing launch button definitely works once weapons are collected..of that I'm certain.
Is there truly an issue w the Xeno jaw in this code(?) It's been ridiculously stable for quite some time and the game is played alot. Truly haven't given that thing much thought as it has the keyed, metal servo gear, and I swapped out the plastic stepper motor to the cool, all metal one during preventative maintenance a long time ago. The thing just eats, breathes and taunts fine.
My only wish/ hope up there had always been some sort of Hall effect sensor to detect the ball, keeping the tongue safe from errant multiball strikes if it came out during that period.
As always, appreciate your efforts/ insight (along w Joe's).....mark

Here is the video I decided to take of it when it happened on my game again. I should really be having a good go at trying to reproduce it. I mentioned it again now as another owner recently encountered it as well. I think it happens when you drain straight off the xeno, as it is screaming still .... sometimes.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/561#post-5999969

So, on the Launch button lamp... what reason would it work fine and lite/flash no worries in tests, but not lite during gameplay? That one has me kinda baffled.
I got used to it and just wrote it of as a side effect of the last update curing the weapons cycling fault. Just another bug.

Then again I haven't had any problems at all with attract mode beacons, where others are having problems.

Could this be board hardware revision or firmware version differences maybe??

#28343 6 days ago

I've checked that issue with the beacons this evening and it's correct what Brain wrote.
First you have to play an entire game, than Amode Beacon is working.
Another issue appeard when opening the coin door while playing... after the third or fourth attempt, the game gets malfunctional and different IO-Boards won't be detected.
I'm not sure if this is a software bug in revision 1.4 only or have had earlier releases similar problems?

#28344 5 days ago

Have not posted for awhile but I am wondering whether the Alien remake will come with a full manual which might help those with Heighway machines sort out all these ongoing issues. The other thought is if Pinball Bros have the licence etc surely they would have access to an original works manual?

#28345 5 days ago

There was never an official manual, let alone helpful information like schematics or troubleshooting diagrams.
Some ALIEN nerds wrote an unofficial Rulesheet together.

#28346 5 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

There was never an official manual, let alone helpful information like schematics or troubleshooting diagrams.
Some ALIEN nerds wrote an unofficial Rulesheet together.

That has always surprised me as how does one build anything without a set of plans?
Surely when Heighway were building these machines they had detailed schematics??????? But then again maybe not and that is why there have been so many issues.

#28347 5 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

I've checked that issue with the beacons this evening and it's correct what Brain wrote.
First you have to play an entire game, than Amode Beacon is working.
Another issue appeard when opening the coin door while playing... after the third or fourth attempt, the game gets malfunctional and different IO-Boards won't be detected.
I'm not sure if this is a software bug in revision 1.4 only or have had earlier releases similar problems?

Its an old issue. I had a game with old software in the beginning with my Alien, opened the coindorr and afterward the pin gave balls with no end. I had to reboot.

#28348 5 days ago

Yes, I remember but I consider about the fact that the power supply is shut off with 70 volt support and maybe this interfere the electronics?
Does this effect remain if the setting will leave the 70 volt support on while opening the coin door?
It's disturbing to lose a game if there's trouble, once the coin door was opened!

#28349 5 days ago

Just tested out a larger 70Vdc 21A PSU and had issues with it.
Could of have been a rouge/faulty supply but had to let you guys know I had problems
So warning to all dont use https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000816881141.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2f554c4dSZNMVq

Right flipper coil burnt up and FET blown on IO pcb which is now repaired.
Not sure if this was a coincidence or a result of the new PSU install.
The supply just does not cope with multiple flipper activations and flippers die.

Whilst testing other bits I noticed a strange mod on my driver pcb in the cabinet.
Theres a black relay that switches two resistors R1 R2 to discharge the 70VDC on power down.
Its setup to discharge the 70vdc only on the IO pcb side disconnecting the PSU side.

Someone/Heighway when modding for the 70VDC PSU had shorted out two contacts on the rear of this relay with solder bridging the resistor discharge circuit to be connected at all times?

It may be a good idea to check this on your boards as its just loading the 70VDC supply for no reason.

relay (resized).JPG
#28350 5 days ago

As I remember there's a note somewhere regarding the modification of new power supply boards before switching the machine on.
New boards don't have these soldered areas, but the built in versions do.
So the new boards have to be modified first?
And there's a note on the cover that F1 and F2 no more used as descriped in earlier machines?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
12,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evergreen, CO
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 89.99
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 6,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 159.00
There are 28409 posts in this topic. You are on page 567 of 569.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside